Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: New Tech

• Start Topic

When a new computer program is introduced at Abbott, Janine is excited to finally help Barbara out with something. However, Barbara is reluctant to accept change and finds herself in a tricky situation when she decides to lie about her students’ results rather than admit defeat. Elsewhere, Melissa surprises Jacob when she offers up a friend to assist with his lesson on unions, but she ends up teaching Jacob an important lesson herself.

Airs January 18th.

• Love 1

Was this episode aired out of order? Last week was all about Gregory decorating his classroom and all his kids loving him but this week no one knows who he is. And Jacob tells him who all the others teachers are in the break room? After they’ve already been together for several weeks? Weird.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
22 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Was this episode aired out of order? Last week was all about Gregory decorating his classroom and all his kids loving him but this week no one knows who he is. And Jacob tells him who all the others teachers are in the break room? After they’ve already been together for several weeks? Weird.

It’s possible. I can’t explain the teacher intro stuff, but it looked like Gregory was with older kids this week than the ones who were doing pictures of him last week, so I’m guessing that being a substitute teacher, he kind of has to start all over with the students every time he has to cover a different class.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

Was this episode aired out of order? Last week was all about Gregory decorating his classroom and all his kids loving him but this week no one knows who he is.

I wondered the same.  Definitely seemed out of order.  And none of the pictures Gregory’s kids drew were hung up in the classroom.

Will dancing randomly was the sweetest thing ever.  “But that’s what I do, Ms. Howard!”

Lol at Principal Coleman calling Gregory “young Idris.”  

• LOL 12
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

It depends on if Gregory is a long-term sub or just coming in when a classroom teacher is absent.  I was under the impression that he was a long-term sub.  

The tech stuff tonight really rang true.  There's always some new tech or new program that will solve every classroom problem.  I'm just waiting for them to start throwing around "synchronous and asynchronous" (if you're an educator, you know).   

The writers have impressed me with their understanding and respect for teaching and teachers.  

Agree- I guffaw at the wandering the halls and actually going out to lunch or getting a manicure. My lunch is 25 min. That includes drop off and pick up of students. But the technology stuff rings true. It's going to fix everything.  Hahaha. Must be a former teacher on the writing staff. Really enjoying this show.

• Love 19

The Philly slang lesson GAVE ME LIFE. When Janine said “they use these” and the kids said “jawns” and she filled in “all the time,” I almost cried with joy. You cannot set a show in Philly and not use the word “jawn.” 

• Love 21

I like that, as great as Barb is, she still makes mistakes, not so much her not understanding tech as her not being able to admit it. Everyone struggles with new technology, no matter how old they are. I am still really liking this show, it definably feels like there is a former teacher or two on the writing staff. Always some new system that is going to revolutionize teaching. 

"You owe me an Audible subscription!" Principle Coleman is turning into one of the stand outs comedic characters of the season, she just kills me. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 22
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

You cannot set a show in Philly and not use the word “jawn.” 

What is "jawn"?

Never mind, I looked it up.  Interesting.  I was born and raised near Pittsburgh, have only been to Philly three times.  It was like being in another state.  I made the mistake of asking for a "steak and cheese" instead of a "cheesesteak" sandwich and I'll never forget the stink eye that waitress gave me.  😅

Edited by Crashcourse
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

Awww. This episode was more sweet than funny. I still loved it, although someone does need to explain to me why Ava pulled that child out of class to use him as an audio book. Lordt! Girl is shameless.

The way Barb was feeling about that new tech? Same, girl. Same.

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
50 minutes ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Awww. This episode was more sweet than funny. I still loved it, although someone does need to explain to me why Ava pulled that child out of class to use him as an audio book. Lordt! Girl is shameless.

The way Barb was feeling about that new tech? Same, girl. Same.

I work as an educational buyer, and dealing with tech and on-line licensing and subscriptions is a major thorn in my side. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

It depends on if Gregory is a long-term sub or just coming in when a classroom teacher is absent.  I was under the impression that he was a long-term sub.  

The tech stuff tonight really rang true.  There's always some new tech or new program that will solve every classroom problem.  I'm just waiting for them to start throwing around "synchronous and asynchronous" (if you're an educator, you know).   

The writers have impressed me with their understanding and respect for teaching and teachers.  

If I had a nickel for how many times my district had implemented some new technology only to give up on it a year later I could retire.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 15
On 1/19/2022 at 12:48 AM, Phebemarie said:

I loved this storyline. Especially Barbara saying she would play along but continue to teach reading the way she knows works. I have heard similar sentiments every time a new program comes around. Old school ways still work in certain areas.  

• Love 10

I’m confused about the tech. Didn’t it turn out that the principal had gotten it in a shady deal from shady people instead of from the school district and it had to be pulled because of that or did I misunderstand things?

• Love 2
On 1/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, Crashcourse said:

Barbara cracked me up when she accidentally snapped her picture and didn't know how she did it.  That would have been me.

My iPhone is full of accidental screenshots. It’s so embarrassing—but funny.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:21 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I actually cried when the kid read at the end!  Not kidding!

And from Michelle Obama’s memoir, too. For many black women, Michelle O. is #ForeverMyFirstLady, so that made it an extra-special moment. 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:57 PM, Empress1 said:

Jawn is a Philly slang word that is basically a nondescript noun like “thing.” So you can swap it in for any noun - you can say, as Janine did, “these kids use these jawns all the time,” where “jawns” is subbing in for “slang words.” You might also say “she had her hair in one of those twist-jawns,” and there the word is subbing for “style.” Or “that jawn is hot!” in reference to a new song, or a person you think is hot. When I was in high school if we were going to a party and wanted to know if there would be cute guys there, we’d say “will there be any jawns there?”

This is so true. Yesterday I was in Philly for a birthday party, and I was watching the football game with a bunch of guys. I heard “jawn” used to reference the quarterback, the other quarterback, the football itself, and the entire defense (them jawns gonna be getting to the quarterback all day).  Made me think about this show. LOL 

• LOL 6
  • Love 11

I moved to Philly about 10 years ago. I'd never heard the word "jawn" ever and I thought it was so ridiculous when I did. To my astonishment, I use it pretty frequently now. It's actually a really versatile word! There are other Philly-specific things that I'm waiting to see if they make their way into the show eventually. 

The show has been such a delight so far and I've been really enjoying it. 

• Love 11
On 1/21/2022 at 9:28 AM, DanaK said:

I’m confused about the tech. Didn’t it turn out that the principal had gotten it in a shady deal from shady people instead of from the school district and it had to be pulled because of that or did I misunderstand things?

It was designed for use in the prison systems, and so she pulled it because they were using the data on the students to plan for prisons, or something along those lines. It was definitely something about how the data pulled on the students was going to the prison system, which is why it was pulled. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/19/2022 at 1:05 AM, Amethyst said:

I wondered the same.  Definitely seemed out of order.  And none of the pictures Gregory’s kids drew were hung up in the classroom.

Will dancing randomly was the sweetest thing ever.  “But that’s what I do, Ms. Howard!”

Lol at Principal Coleman calling Gregory “young Idris.”  

Yep, you all are right, "New Tech" was the second episode produced and is supposed to fall between the pilot and the "Light Bulb" episode.

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/abbott-elementary/listings/

• Useful 7
  • Love 7

Melissa was spot on about teaching all history -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I get a kick out of the principal, but her sexual harassment of Gregory is not funny. If it's wrong when a man does it, it's wrong when a woman does it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 2/6/2022 at 7:25 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Melissa was spot on about teaching all history -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I get a kick out of the principal, but her sexual harassment of Gregory is not funny. If it's wrong when a man does it, it's wrong when a woman does it.

Amen to both parts of this post. I can't decide which is more important, but I think it's the both of them. History is full of greatness and meanness, heroism and villainy, with most people just trying to get by. 

And sexual harassment is always one of the evil parts.

• Love 7

I have a quibble with this episode. No way would someone as aggressively woke as Jacob be eager to tell a classroom full of Black students that the police were heroic in helping to resolve a strike. It just doesn't make sense for his character.

The writers could have provided the same "don't sanitize history" message by showing us that Jacob told his students that the protests were all non-violent, when they clearly weren't - rather than his message being about how the police worked beautifully with the strikers.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/18/2022 at 10:21 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I actually cried when the kid read at the end!  Not kidding!

I did, too :'). He's adorable. 

I felt for Barbara with her struggle to adapt to and learn this new tech, and her desire to stick to her usual methods. The best solution is usually a balance of the two, so I do like that the show acknowledged that by the end. 

That said, Gregory's reaction to the revelation about the real intent with that technology was mine...and it sadly would not surprise me one bit that they'd target schools like this to "test" it out :/. Thank goodness they were able to get wind of that before they got too into using the new tech. 

• Love 3

I didn't watch this show because it's too close to my former career (I didn't watch The Office either) so it's like going back to work, but not the good parts. 
But since it had so much Emmy buzz, and since I had some time, I thought I'd educate myself on this aspect of pop culture. 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

"You owe me an Audible subscription!" Principle Coleman is turning into one of the stand outs comedic characters of the season, she just kills me. 

The principal's line of "You owe me an Audible subscription!" explains that Will had memorized portions of Michelle Obama's book, "Becoming," by listening to it, but it seemed like the final edits of the episode slightly retconned that into Will having suddenly learned to read --perhaps because he was just ready --which does happen with some kids, but probably not here. 
This bugged me a bit, but IMDb indicates he was just appearing in this one episode, so I'm okay with them leaving it vague, and hinting that either situations could be true. 

Thing that really bugged:
This episode struck me as ageist, because even though they had the a-stereotypical older, minority guy leading the the tech training meeting, even he was a stereotype of techies who don't know how to train or teach.   
Never mind my life story, but older folks who were working when tech first became a part of our world, had to figure out, for instance, how to insert codes around words to bold them, or how to insert a floppy drive into a computer to turn it on, and so are often much more tech savvy than, say, millennials, who grew up with WYSIWYG that appears with the touch of a button. 
</rant>
I did, however, appreciate Janine's one line when she admitted to Ava that she did not know what an NFT was either
--much like the reveal that Will was only able to recite parts of "Becoming" because of listening to it (likely on repeat) via Audible.