Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Congratulations to Joe Burrow.  Well deserved.  I don’t think there’s ever been a QB to go fro a 56% QBR to over 75% in one year.  He was very humble during his moving speech, and it was nice of him to credit tOSU coaches as well.  I actually got tears when he spoke of Coach O.

However I don’t think Jalen Hurts deserved 2nd, with his interception rate.

If Chase Young hadn’t gotten suspended I think he might’ve gotten 2nd.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Those Buffalo helmets are really cool looking.

I hope Fox wins the bid.  The Mouse house has already gobbled up far too much sports and other entertainment as well.  More networks more options. 

Fox has the B1G.  I don’t know how long the contract is tho.

If it’s concurrent, it’s highly unlikely they would have both.

• Useful 2
On 12/17/2019 at 10:12 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

When I was a freshman at the University of Illinois, he brought his ranked Hawkeyes to play the Illini. I remember watching him walk the sidelines with his iconic sunglasses and realized that this was college football.

(Fun fact. The Illini went undefeated in the Big Ten that year. And even though they got ground into paste by UCLA in the Rose Bowl, we felt proud that their 9-0 record in the conference was a record that could be tied, but never beaten.)

• Love 3
On 12/26/2019 at 2:45 AM, PepSinger said:

I am thrilled that CBS will no longer air SEC games after 2023. I cannot stand Gary Danielson, and I’m glad to be rid of him.

GD holds a place in my heart as he was a Browns QB.  And he lost a young daughter while playing in Cleveland.

Why is there a college football playoff again? It’s the same blowouts every year and the best two teams end up playing in the championship game. This is already ugly and there is an entire half to play.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

Why is there a college football playoff again? It’s the same blowouts every year and the best two teams end up playing in the championship game. This is already ugly and there is an entire half to play.

It was so obvious that the three undefeateds were a cut above everyone else.

• Love 5

What a game! It had me until the end, usually I'd be under the blankets listening to the game, but I was absolutely riveted by the unfolding events. I had no rooting interest, so who could as for more.

I'm pumped for Tigerbowl!

ESPN Skycast was the absolute best!

• Love 3

Thank you, Clemson.  Every bowl game in which I was rooting for a team went to shit, but at least the one in which I wanted the obnoxious Ohio State sent packing worked out in the end.

I have no personal interest in the national championship now, since it's SEC vs ACC, but at least I won't puke at either winner.  Because of Ed Orgeron, I'm pulling for LSU, but don't particularly care beyond hoping for a good game.

• Love 6

F*g refs took away two TDs.  One was questionable, but that fumble recovery for a TD reversal was BULLSHIT!  And that targeting call was equally BS!  Trevor lowered his body just before the hit.  He wasn’t stupid.  Things weren’t going their way, so he made dirty calls happen to his benefit.  We would probably have done the same, but not gotten away with it.

I will allow that our defense couldn’t stop them in the 2nd and 4th qtrs.

Now I have to go to work 2morrow and eat crow to my LSU co-worker.  But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let LSU beat Clemson.  I hate the SEC, but zJoe’s an Ohio boy, so I have no problem rooting for them.

When is Lincoln Riley gonna learn that you need a Defense?

On 12/28/2019 at 6:07 PM, twoods said:

Nope the best two teams this year are NOT playing in the Championship.  If we had retained #1, we would have crushed OKC, and LSU beaten Clemson. THEN the best two teams would’ve played for the Championship.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

Nope the best two teams this year are NOT playing in the Championship.  If we had retained #1, we would have crushed OKC, and LSU beaten Clemson. THEN the best two teams would’ve played for the Championship.

Ohio State couldn't win big enough in its conference championship over an inferior team, as compared to how LSU dominated in its championship game against a closer-ranked team, in order to hang onto the number one slot, and then couldn't play well enough at number two to beat number three in the playoffs.  So, by definition, not one of the two best teams this season.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ohio State couldn't win big enough in its conference championship over an inferior team, as compared to how LSU dominated in its championship game against a closer-ranked team, in order to hang onto the number one slot, and then couldn't play well enough at number two to beat number three in the playoffs.  So, by definition, not one of the two best teams this season.

So I guess winning by double digits and shutting the opponent down for SIX RUSHING YARDS AND ZERO POINTS in the 2nd half isn’t good enough for you?

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
On 12/29/2019 at 1:09 AM, Bastet said:

I have no personal interest in the national championship now, since it's SEC vs ACC, but at least I won't puke at either winner.  Because of Ed Orgeron, I'm pulling for LSU, but don't particularly care beyond hoping for a good game.

Ed Orgeron struggled as a head coach in his first couple of seasons, and he was widely criticized. He seems like a legitimately good guy.  Then comes Joe Burrow and passing coordinator Joe Brady, and the whole LSU game is transformed. I want them to win it all.

• Love 2

I have always hated the notion that a team has to run up the score to prove it’s better.  If you schedule a game with St. Agnes Girl’s School, you don’t suddenly impress me with your abilities because you beat them by 50 points.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, roamyn said:

So I guess winning by double digits and shutting the opponent down for SIX RUSHING YARDS AND ZERO POINTS in the 2nd half isn’t good enough for you?

Hey, I get that it's your team, but the committee didn't decide LSU was number one and Ohio State was number two after championship weekend because they like LSU's team colors better; it was based on that weekend's respective performances.  If Ohio State were robbed, and deserved to be one instead of two, they should have beat the third-ranked team.  They didn't, so they're not one of the two best teams in the country this season.  At least it was a far more respectable loss than the last time Clemson beat them in a playoff bowl game, and it's certainly not a fluke for them to be in contention; they'll be back, to your enjoyment and my annoyance.  But they didn't get it done this year and thus deserve to be watching the championship on TV like almost everyone else.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13

Is there any reason the championship game couldn’t have been played on the sixth?  There’s no MNF so a two week wait seems silly, when they had already waited three.

Edited by mojoween
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Is there any reason the championship game couldn’t have been played on the sixth?  There’s no MNF so a two week wait seems silly, when they had already waited three.

Hell, I don’t understand why these games can’t be played on the weekend. It’s baffling to me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Hell, I don’t understand why these games can’t be played on the weekend.

I work out of my home office most of the time, so I just have to diligent about getting my work done by 5:00 (I usually work until about 7:00), but when I worked out of an office, I practically had to take a half day to be home in time.

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

It had something to do with the way the dates fell.

I read an article in Sports Illustrated that said if they made the Semis on 12/31, that didn’t give the teams enough time for travel, prep & practice, to have it on the 6th, because NY’s is on a Wed.  So they pushed it to the 13th.

Then the Rose Bowl pointed out that they are to be the main event on 12/31 if they’re not a semi or championship that year, so they moved the games to the previous Sat.  By that time, it was too late to re-schedule to the 6th due to Network programming et al.

• Useful 3

OK, I had my doubts. I kinda believed after Penn St. , but then they didn't look that good against Iowa and Wisconsin. I said to my fellow Gopher fans that Auburn would be a good measuring stick as to if we were where we want to be. I now believe in P.J. Fleck. I believe we can be Wisconsin West, double-digit wins almost every year, compete for the conference title every three to four years. That's all I've ever wanted after years of irrelevance.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m not all that keen on Harbaugh myself but the other option was Alabama and that ain’t happening.

I don’t care if they’re B1G, nothing will make me root for Khaki Pants or TTUN.  Even if I have to root for ‘Bama.

The Rose Bowl was a great game.  And I’m glad for MN.

I couldn't have been more thrilled with the Citrus Bowl. Now, I don't know what the hell our defense was doing in the first half, but Saban must have scared the shit out of them and the DC during halftime because Michigan never scored again. Then again, Michigan did what it does best: fuck itself over. The running game was working, so they decide to abandon it during the second half of the game. I also had NO problem with Saban going for the touchdown with :26 seconds left on the clock. Najee Harris worked HARD on that drive; he was dragging the defense down the field! He deserved to take it all the way home for his final touchdown at Alabama. Also, I think Saban hates Harbaugh given all the shit he's talked about the SEC. I've NEVER seen Saban refuse to take a knee that late in the game.

And the cherry on top? For Patterson's final throw of his college career, it was an interception. I cackled like a loon. Roll Tide.

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m not all that keen on Harbaugh myself but the other option was Alabama and that ain’t happening.

Yep, same here.  What it amounted to was not caring enough about the game to do more than have it on as background noise, but as much as I dislike Harbaugh, I'd rather have him win half a dozen bowl games than Saban win one.  Alas.

At least Oregon won the Rose Bowl, even though it was disgusting to see how many Ducks players would have been Trojans in better recruiting years and know USC inexplicably kept Clay Helton and thus continue the recruiting class plummet.

• Love 1

I use the Radio.com app. They frequently plug shows on their podcast network. One of the promos they started running at the beginning of the season featured a host talking about how "PJ Fleck has got to win this game! His tenure has not been good!"

They are still running it. They really should stop. Because, after the season Minnesota had, it makes the host sound like an idiot.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
On 12/30/2019 at 5:46 PM, mojoween said:

A 16-day gap between the College Football Playoff semifinals and the title game was not exactly by design.

I was wondering about this today. Basically the venue was selected 5 yrs. ago, they didn't expect the semifinals on New Year's Eve '16 to fail spectacularly (one more set of semis on Dec. 31st next year though) so they reset the schedule, there was a conflicting event in New Orleans on the 6th so the 13th is what we're stuck with.

I hope Clemson can make it a game but LSU is scary good.

• Useful 4
9 hours ago, twoods said:

This game seems to have been going on since yesterday. They are really milking all the commercials. 

9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Not to mention pre-game and half-time. 

On the coaches' broadcast Mike Gundy actually talked about this. Saying that in the time the teams got for this halftime he could have installed a whole new game plan.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Never thought I’d say this, but congratulations LSU Tigers! You finally shut up Dabo, so this Alabama fan thanks you.

I am honestly very happy for Burrow and Orgeron; they had a great season.

Clemson, this is what happens when you play no one for an entire season.

• Love 2