Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

I'm sorry you east coast peeps are asleep. I'm watching a 63-60 game between UCLA and Wash St. I went to Cal, but I don't care who wins. This is spectacular!

Eta: UCLA comes back from 32 down to win 67-63. What a game!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm sorry you east coast peeps are asleep. I'm watching a 63-60 game between UCLA and Wash St. I went to Cal, but I don't care who wins. This is spectacular!

Eta: UCLA comes back from 32 down to win 67-63. What a game!

I didn't know it was basketball season yet.

• LOL 12

I’ve been preoccupied with life and just realize that GameDay is in Nebraska this Saturday???  DA FUQ??  So they go from Iowa to Nebraska?  Is this the snooze cruise?  This used to be my have to get up and make coffee by 8 AM show, I’ve deleted the last 3 weeks without watching, I don’t even care to forward to the guest picker or head gear.  #blah #geauxtigers #TAF

18 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was watching the Aggies/Razorbacks game.   Pretty cool, a defensive player for the Razorbacks has the real name of Bumper Pool.   I am not kidding.  I love that name.  Bumper Pool.

I THink it’s ridiculous. Makes me wonder what kind of parents he has.

Unless Bumper is his nickname?

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

I THink it’s ridiculous. Makes me wonder what kind of parents he has.

Unless Bumper is his nickname?

Nope, it's his one and only first name, courtesy of his father, who loved to play that game as a kid. His mother gave him James as a middle name, thinking Bumper wouldn't stick.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/09/bumper-pool-real-name-arkansas-razorbacks/

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Mack Brown made the right choice to go for two.

I agree. This would've been the biggest win of the year for them. In that situation, you roll the dice. Now, if the situation had been reversed, Dabo Swinney would absolutely kick the XP and take it to overtime, because for them, every win counts.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I agree. This would've been the biggest win of the year for them. In that situation, you roll the dice. Now, if the situation had been reversed, Dabo Swinney would absolutely kick the XP and take it to overtime, because for them, every win counts.

I concur w/both of you.  Sometimes you gotta take those chances.   

• Love 2

Godsdamn, if USC could play on the road like they play at home, this would be quite a different season.  They have so much going against them - tough schedule, massive depth issues, and a real mixed bag of a coach - it's incredible they're sitting atop the Pac-12 South.  And maddening to think how they could be doing if just one of their obstacles didn't exist.

Notre Dame and Wisconsin were both fully exposed this week. And while Chase Young may have announced his Heisman candidacy, Jonathan Taylor probably ended his.

Meanwhile, the last time the Gophers were 8-0, FDR was president and the US was not yet in WWII. I'm sure it all will come crashing down in two weeks when Penn St. comes to town, but it will be fun until then.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Notre Dame and Wisconsin were both fully exposed this week. And while Chase Young may have announced his Heisman candidacy, Jonathan Taylor probably ended his.

Meanwhile, the last time the Gophers were 8-0, FDR was president and the US was not yet in WWII. I'm sure it all will come crashing down in two weeks when Penn St. comes to town, but it will be fun until then.

I don’t think WI was exposed as a fraud or weak.  They were playing in horrific conditions.  Is there defense as good as;other years?  No, but they’re still a dominant defense.  tOSU also struggled the first half (again, field/weather played a big part, as did Justin Fields playing in his first cold weather game).

What I was surprised abt was how good tOSU’s running game was on a wet, cold field.

And yes, Chase Young is a beast!  I’d like to see a defensive player in the running for the Heisman.  Right now I’d put the top candidates as a Joe Burrows, Chase Young, Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts And maybe Jonathan Taylor (he’s still had a brilliant year, despite a terrible game Saturday).

It’s so annoying that I don’t even like college football that much, and I have a million shows to clean up on the DVR, yet here I sit, preparing to watch the top 25 reveal because I listen to ESPN Radio for seven + hours a day and I am a slave to the hype.

• LOL 3

The Chase Young situation at OSU with his suspension for the Maryland game is unfortunate.  I'm no Buckeyes fan, but Young and OSU have handled the situation as well as they could have.  Young's situation is likely more common that not, and it's probably the norm at some programs and in certain conferences. 

• Love 2

I am thrilled that the University of Minnesota is 9 - 0. They just beat Penn State. 1904 is the last time they were 9 - 0. The football program has been in the tank for so long it's amazing that they're doing so well this season.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I am thrilled that the University of Minnesota is 9 - 0. They just beat Penn State. 1904 is the last time they were 9 - 0. The football program has been in the tank for so long it's amazing that they're doing so well this season.

I’ve liked PJ Fleck since W Xichigan.  He’s great for the B1G.

3rd year and he’s likely going to the B1G championship, Harbaugh.

I don’t normally root for LSU (or any team in the SEC), but I like Ed Orgeron and I hate Nick Saban with the heat of a nova, so after watching Clay Helton hold onto his job for another week, I tuned in for the end of LSU v Alabama.  Suck it, Saban!

• Love 8

There are five undefeated FBS teams: LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Baylor(?) and Minnesota(?!?).

I had my doubts about the Gophers, but they answered the call today. Two tests left, Iowa and Wisconsin. If we win one of those, we'll get the honor of being the sacrificial lamb to Ohio St. in the Big Ten Championship. But for the Gophers, just making it to the title game is a huge step forward and justifies Fleck's extension.

• Love 2

It would be so cool if Minnesota could play in the Rose Bowl after all these years. I think it's been around 50 years, maybe 60, since they last played in it. But the Bowl rules have changed so much I don't know how the Rose Bowl is determined anymore.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

But the Bowl rules have changed so much I don't know how the Rose Bowl is determined anymore.

As long as a Bowl game isn't being used for a playoff game, then it goes to the affiliated conferences. This year the playoff games are the Fiesta Bowl and the Peach Bowl, so the Rose Bowl will be Big 10 vs. Pac 12.

This has been a really exciting day of football. Shout out to Lovie Smith and Illinois becoming bowl eligible with Michigan State blowing a 28-3 lead (never heard that before).

4 minutes ago, Popples said:

As long as a Bowl game isn't being used for a playoff game, then it goes to the affiliated conferences. This year the playoff games are the Fiesta Bowl and the Peach Bowl, so the Rose Bowl will be Big 10 vs. Pac 12.

I see - thanks! So most of the time it still works the same way. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

For the Gophers to get the Rose Bowl invite, they will have to be undefeated going into the matchup with OSU.

Not necessarily.  They have a two game lead, so they could theoretically lose to IA next game, and still go as the West champion.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Maryland.  I know somebody's got to lose.  I get that.  

But 73-14?  Really??  Did the defense eat too many Popeye's chicken sandwiches before the game?

Did you have to mention this?  I was hoping it would just go... unmentioned... 

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Maryland.  I know somebody's got to lose.  I get that.  

But 73-14?  Really??  Did the defense eat too many Popeye's chicken sandwiches before the game?

And the ‘B’ team played the 2nd half.

My husband predicted tOSU would score 82, and I thought he was nuts.

Edited by roamyn
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

And the ‘B’ team played the 2nd half.

My husband predicted tOSU would score 82, and I thought he was nuts.

For those who didn't watch the game; in the first quarter, OSU completed the best onside kick, ever.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ohio-states-blake-haubeil-pulls-off-the-most-perfect-onside-kick-youll-ever-see-watch/ar-BBWw2cw?ocid=spartandhp

As far as the final score, OSU was not trying to run it up, Maryland really was that inept.  They played second team and lower all second half and still OSU was essentially scoring at will.

For the Rose Bowl, Minnesota probably has the best shot of any Big 10 team, presuming OSU ends up in the national championship run.  They are most likely going to represent the west against OSU in the Big 10 Championship.  They will probably lose that game, but, since OSU is probably headed to the BCS; they'll be next in line for the Rose Bowl bid

Edited by doodlebug
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

For those who didn't watch the game; in the first quarter, OSU completed the best onside kick, ever.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ohio-states-blake-haubeil-pulls-off-the-most-perfect-onside-kick-youll-ever-see-watch/ar-BBWw2cw?ocid=spartandhp

As far as the final score, OSU was not trying to run it up, Maryland really was that inept.  They played second team and lower all second half and still OSU was essentially scoring at will.

For the Rose Bowl, Minnesota probably has the best shot of any Big 10 team, presuming OSU ends up in the national championship run.  They are most likely going to represent the west against OSU in the Big 10 Championship.  They will probably lose that game, but, since OSU is probably headed to the BCS; they'll be next in line for the Rose Bowl bid

They are not trying to run it up but they tried an onside kick?  Seems like an odd thing to do in a game in which they were favored by 40+ points.  I guess we have to give them credit for not going for 2 after each TD.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

They are not trying to run it up but they tried an onside kick?  Seems like an odd thing to do in a game in which they were favored by 40+ points.  I guess we have to give them credit for not going for 2 after each TD.

At the time they did it, it was 14-0, still in the first quarter.  I think they were giving it a try just for the experience and figured they’d lose the ball just like most onside kicks. At that point, there was more than enough time for Maryland  to get back in the game, even with OSU up by 21.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1