Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

Never thought I’d say this, but congratulations LSU Tigers! You finally shut up Dabo, so this Alabama fan thanks you.

I am honestly very happy for Burrow and Orgeron; they had a great season.

Clemson, this is what happens when you play no one for an entire season.

Thank you!  💜💛🐯

Yah we shut Dabo up for a day, but I feel like the consequence of that will be another year of his crying and whining intensified by the loss.  Dude is insufferable.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I’m a Clemson fan, some of my family are actual diehard Clemson fans and Clemson alum, and some of that group actually went to the game, so that was a tough loss.  I’m here in this thread to represent the losers.  Commence pile on!

I see some Dabo hate afoot, lol.  I’ll just say this.  Dabo really executed an impressive turnaround of that program, I think primarily through being a gifted recruiter.  My faults with him are just not giving Kelly Bryant a championship ring after Kelly got benched in favor of Trevor Lawrence and saying that he would quit coaching if players were paid (which I personally think is not a good look for a multimillionaire coach benefitting off of unpaid labor).  But he probably will go down as one of the college coaching greats overall, and he seems well-respected and liked by his players, and like a fairly decent person.

Game itself was too long for a “school” night.  I fell asleep for quarters 2 and 3.  The championship would be a lot more fun if it were on a Saturday night.

• Love 2

But hey, y’all!  Are we gonna talk about the real highlight of the game?  BIG FAN!  🤣🤣🤣🤣.   I’ll be danged if Eddie George did not make me crack the hell up with that chest pass.  And wow is he still ripped or what?!  Ay yi yi 😍😍😍

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I’ll be danged if Eddie George did not make me crack the hell up with that chest pass.  And wow is he still ripped or what?!

I think he might be bigger than his playing days!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yeah. Goddammit, man. No one would care about him throwing cash around if he just did it when there were no cameras around. And the new video from today where he feels up one of the LSU dancers is just creepy. Everything about him is "LOOK AT MEEEE I WANT ATTENTION."

Somehow Randy Moss, Tyrann Mathieu and other stars managed to be at that game without making everything all about them. But OBJ gotta OBJ. 

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

He had no business being there in the first place

Schools love it when famous alumni walk the sidelines and happily give them credentials. I just think that LSU didn't anticipate that he would act that much of a fool.

• Useful 2

He was high off his face.  Not a great look, but 🤷🏻‍♀️.   He does crack me up.  And he has paid the fines in the past for when the band played Neck.  Dude does love LSU.  And if you’ve ever been in Louisiana, y’all know this behavior is how we roll.  Pass a good time!  

On 1/18/2020 at 11:03 AM, icemiser69 said:

That surprises me.  I am trying to think of a time when I thought OBJ didn't act like a fool.  I can't think of one.   I think it is abundantly clear that he craves attention at the expense of others.

How so?  LSU and TAF love him.  We all good here.  And who of the NFL doesn’t crave attentions???

4 hours ago, geauxaway said:

How so?  LSU and TAF love him.  We all good here.  And who of the NFL doesn’t crave attentions???

Plenty of other LSU alumni there managed to not make a desperate grab for attention. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Minneapple said:

Plenty of other LSU alumni there managed to not make a desperate grab for attention. 

You sure about that? We live for the flash!!!    Blah.  It’s all over now.  The parade is over and we’ve all moved on.  It’s carnival !!! #TAF

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Not sure it was that abrupt in his mind. He managed to stick around long enough to get a four million dollar "longevity" bonus and quit two weeks later.

He had a plan.

That was my initial reaction, too.

45 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If this season played out exactly the same except (and I know this is a big except) Tua played every game for Alabama and never got hurt, would Joe Burrow still be the consensus number one pick?

Depends on if Tua maintained his high level of play throughout the season and particularly, if Alabama made it to the championship and he played well there.

In other words, no way to know.  Tua's injury was tragic in so many ways.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If this season played out exactly the same except (and I know this is a big except) Tua played every game for Alabama and never got hurt, would Joe Burrow still be the consensus number one pick?

Since it's Cincinnati w/the #1 pick, and Joe most likely still would've won the Heisman, I'd say no.  In fact, he wouldn't be #2 either.  Washington needs defense and they'll still pick Chase Young.

But rumors are Miami is looking more at Justin Herberts instead of Tua at #5, and I'd say THAT CHOICE might be more Tua, if he wasn't so prone to injury (reminds me of Marcus Mariota - great talent & upside, but too injurious)

• Love 2
(edited)

2006 Rose Bowl is on tonight.  I will never forget where I was when I watched this.  To this day I have no idea why I was so vehemently opposed to USC, because I loathe Texas but thought the outcome was stellar.

And Keith Jackson.  Sigh.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Wildcard said:

I'm not surprised, but it will be interesting to see how this is handled.

They'll just have to make a decision: Are they committed to their personal well-being or Alabama Football? Roll Tide!

(edited)

I'm really not happy with a bunch of white guys unilaterally dictating the conditions under which their predominantly African American workforce will be returning during a pandemic. 

Especially since this disease is more dangerous to them and their families.

ETA Yeah, about that. . . 

University of Houston suspends workouts after six student-athletes test positive

I'm sure those workouts were entirely voluntary.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Gundy is so full of shit. You don't just stumble across OAN, and you certainly don't just happen to have one of their t shirts unless you are fully aware of their agenda.

• Love 11

The Washington Post surveyed the Power 5 schools about their policies for restarting sports, specifically football.

What. . . a. . . mess.

With the possible exception of the Pac 12, the NCAA and conferences are leaving it up to the individual schools. And some of the policies don't exactly inspire confidence.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from Arizona are LSU, Kentucky and Arkansas, which are not requiring coronavirus tests for any players as they return to campus unless they develop symptoms or are found to have been in contact with someone infected.

Instead, these schools are requiring players to take antibody tests, which may indicate if players already have had the virus and might be immune from getting infected again. . . 

“That doesn’t really make sense to me,” said Zachary Binney, an epidemiologist and assistant professor at Oxford College of Emory University. 

And we are already seeing dozens of players testing positive at schools like LSU, K State and Clemson.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Like others here, I am shocked that there is so little standardization. And even outside of that, that so many schools are not doing their due diligence in putting strong measures into place considering you'd think that they really want college football to happen (even if they don't care about the actual players). Like UCLA players feeling that they need a third party to oversee their procedures! As someone who enjoys college football but DOES care about the players, I was surprised and pretty concerned when the schools started announcing that players could come back. That was even before these surges in other states. I'm pleased that my alma mater, PSU, seems to have excellent procedures in place from everything that I have read and heard. And their workouts are truly voluntary (coach mentioned 30+ players have decided not to return yet, including 5-8 on scholarship - forget the exact number). But if a season actually happens, I'd be concerned about them playing a school with more lax procedures.  What a mess!

ETA: This person does a good job wording my concern: 

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 5
(edited)

I honestly think this is just a way to ease people into the idea that this season isn't happening. How is it safer for, for example, Iowa to play in Pennsylvania but not our instate rivals Iowa State and UNI.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2020/07/09/big-ten-football-reduces-season-schedule-only-conference-games/5408557002/?fbclid=IwAR1EznnsOLWqRvErsyCqPDts7jVEkNU_XY3eocQIatgC9SUv2hcQsJ2fB_s

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

How is it safer for, for example, Iowa to play in Pennsylvania but not our instate rivals Iowa State and UNI.

It ensures they have control of the testing protocols. That's not the case if the play out of conference. 

• Useful 1
On 7/2/2020 at 4:58 PM, xaxat said:

"The campus isn't safe for students. . . . unless you are an athlete" is a pretty hard argument to make.

How so? I agree if it's presented that way.  Otherwise, IMO, if it's presented in a way that no student is safe on campus, including athletes, it would work.  It wouldn't be safe for a full capacity, but maybe a handful.  Personally, it's not the students being there, it's the quantity of students.  A select few percentage-wise would have to be the norm until further notice.  It probably will mean athletes and certain students.  At least several athletes are on scholarship.

Of course, if sports are cancelled then it's a moot point.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:
2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

How is it safer for, for example, Iowa to play in Pennsylvania but not our instate rivals Iowa State and UNI.

It ensures they have control of the testing protocols. That's not the case if the play out of conference. 

Exactly!  Maybe if a team from a different conference travels to the Big 10 it'll be a different story, but personally they don't have a choice.  If all goes well, it's only for one year.  Otherwise this might be the best-case scenario annually

I really, really want college football back (it's my favorite sport) but not at the expense of the players. Those kids deal with enough, worrying about catching a deadly virus shouldn't be added to that.

• Love 10

The SEC held a tele-conference about the upcoming season with the commissioner, some health officials and a some of the athletes. In it, the commissioner acknowledged that there were risks and that the league was prepared to accept responsibility for anything that might go wrong.

HA! HA! HA! HA! Who am I kidding. The league is clearly going to blame any problems on a bunch of unpaid 18 to 22 year olds.

The telling point is that this was apparently the first time the athletes were involved in the process. The league announced its plans for the season the day after. Those kids never had a chance to influence the decision.

• Love 4

The majority of the Big 10 programs have made the decision not to allow fans, including students, to attend any games.  Some, like Ohio State, had the decision made for them by the state of Ohio not allowing fans at any sporting events.  Some states seem to have more relative success than others in dealing with Covid, including Illinois and Michigan, still are understandably being cautious.  Illinois is only allowing 20% of stadium capacity.  Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Penn State all made the decision not to allow any fans to attend games. 

Some programs are being better towards their fans than others.  Some, including Minnesota, Michigan State and Michigan are allowing season ticket holders to roll over their 2020 tickets and seat premiums costs into 2021.  That way, the ones that chose that option have paid for their 2021 tickets.  Penn State is allowing season ticket holders to roll their 2020 season tickets into 2021 but not the seat premiums. 

My Michigan alumna sister has lived in the Minneapolis area for several years now and had plans to go to the Michigan-Minnesota game in mid October.  She's been very busy with work and had not been following the changes in scheduling and ticket policies.  She seemed incredibly disappointed and heartbroken when I shared with her that no fans were allowed to go to the game.  We had to cancel two vacations this year because of Covid, but I think that this was the hardest to take.  She had thought that maybe things would be improving by now instead of getting worse and she could go see her Wolverines play.  Between this news and having to go into quarantine because a coworker came down with Covid, she's lost what little tolerance she's had for people who aren't wiling to do the bare minimum to stop the spread. 

I hope we can get through the college football season, because it's something that many people, myself and my sister included, are looking forward to.  If most P5 schools can have a successful football season, then that's a good omen for having college basketball. 

• Love 1