Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

What is with the masks I've seen some coaches (Mike Leach, Jimbo Fisher, Saban, etc) wearing today? They look like mesh or something see through, I can see the coach's mouth and nose through them.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

What is with the masks I've seen some coaches (Mike Leach, Jimbo Fisher, Saban, etc) wearing today? They look like mesh or something see through, I can see the coach's mouth and nose through them.

I noticed that too. It's really obvious compared to other coach's masks. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Saban's running around on the sidelines without a mask, yelling into the official's faces.

Yeah, I noticed that too. He's wearing his mask like a damn beard, despite having tested positive a day or two ago.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, roamyn said:
17 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I hope Nebraska enjoyed the football they so desperately wanted to play 😁

Well, I know Justin Fields did.  😁

Speaking of Justin Fields, it'll be interesting to see how he's do as it relates to the Heisman.  People are saying Trevor Lawrence lost it, but I might have to disagree.  The guy is playing closer to a full season than Fields is

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Trevor has the ‘rona.  With symptoms.

BUT IS HE GOING TO PLAY AGAINST NOTRE DAME?

Of course he is.  He could have symptoms two days before hand and Clemson will somehow push his eligibility thru.

One thing that bothers me about the Lawrence coverage is the emphasis that he has "mild" symptoms. I hope he's able to shake it in quick order, but from what I understand, this is an insidious disease that can amp up its attack on the body days after initial symptoms and some people have had "mild" symptoms for months.

You're not in the clear until you are in the clear.

It's funny watching anchors struggle trying to pronounce "D.J. Uiagalelei", Lawrence's backup. It's like Tua Tagovailoa 2.0.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

One thing that bothers me about the Lawrence coverage is the emphasis that he has "mild" symptoms. I hope he's able to shake it in quick order, but from what I understand, this is an insidious disease that can amp up its attack on the body days after initial symptoms and some people have had "mild" symptoms for months.

You're not in the clear until you are in the clear.

It's funny watching anchors struggle trying to pronounce "D.J. Uiagalelei", Lawrence's backup. It's like Tua Tagovailoa 2.0.

Of course that's the narrative they're going to push.  Mild = not in the hospital or looking like death warmed over on instagram.  It's a lot harder to celebrate someone's rapid return if you've just spent a week talking about how seriously ill he is.

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I guess he's sicker than they've let on. Surprised they announced so early. 

I think it's a smart move from Dabo.  Rather than have a week (especially next week) full of speculation related to Lawrence's availability, saying so now eliminates that.  Maybe Trevor will get better, but I don't think there's enough time for him to get relevant reps prior to the game at South Bend.  Not a great idea having him go in without any practice.  The best coaches never have any of their players participate without practice, no matter the reason.  That includes Swinney

Best wished to Trevor but Dabo is in a perfect situation now.  If they win without Lawrence?  The man is a football genius.  If they lose?  Well yeah, you're not going to beat good teams if your star QB is out, so none of these games are a reflection on his talents.

2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's possible that just one person tested positive, but because of contact tracing, the others all have to quarantine. 

Will there still be a show?

The article says there will be a show with a host (Charissa something) and two of the NFL Kickoff guys--Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long. 

I suspect you're right.  There's probably someone who had close contact with the whole group.  Either it's one of them or a member of the crew who had close contact with them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The article says there will be a show with a host (Charissa something) and two of the NFL Kickoff guys--Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long. 

Charissa Thompson (for now).

That sucks that someone has to quarantine because someone else caught it.  I totally understand and respect the precaution, but man, I guess people have to limit their outings if that's the case.  For this cast, they don't have a choice, but outside of that, that's brutal

The first PAC-12 cancellation of the season: Washington Huskies-California Golden Bears game canceled because of coronavirus case.

I understand why the conference waited so late to start, trying to give themselves enough time to see how the others handled it, but they left themselves no margin for error. I also just found out that there is no minimum number of games needed to play for the conference championship, unlike the BIG 10, which is 6.

• Useful 1

Not only is Indiana punishing Michigan. It's not a fluke. They look like the more talented team.

I really thought the Harbaugh hiring would go a lot better than this. And they still have Ohio State on the schedule. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Not only is Indiana punishing Michigan. It's not a fluke. They look like the more talented team.

I really thought the Harbaugh hiring would go a lot better than this. And they still have Ohio State on the schedule. 

BWAHAHAHA!  Harbaugh’s head is not only on a platter, but his khaki pant’s seat is on fire!

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Outside one play on a long td, which was right after an ejection of an indiana safety and him being replaced by a rookie so michigan wisely went right at him for a long td, indiana totally dominated the first half michigan. Michigan was lucky to only be down 24-7.   

After that they just kind of played even.   But Indiana is a legit team, as an alum best team probably in my lifetime for them.  That is too long losing streaks broken. One more vs ohio state not sure that one will fall this year.  Plus they have wisconsin too.  But a say 6-2 record in this big ten division would be a historic season for them and it's very doable. 

I too though harbaugb would turn around michigan.  In fact I thought he would do it in 3-4 years and then go back to the nfl.  He may end up fired and no job at all

• Love 1

Unreal. I have a Heidi Bowl situation. My local network apparently thought the Clemson/Notre Dame game ended in regulation and switched to an infomercial instead of showing OT.

ETA They're back. I wonder if it was timed on the half hour for SNL.

Edited by xaxat

Man there are going to be a lot of pissed off people tomorrow when they find out their SNL DVR was ruined by Notre Dame & Clemson!

Edited by Carey
Edited because I can't spell
  • Love 1

On one hand, I have a lifelong loathing of Notre Dame and I hate seeing them win.

On the other hand, Dabo Swinney has shown himself to be an insufferable, holier-than-thou ass-mongrel.

OMG, why in the hell are there that many fans at the stadium and they let them rush the field.

Screw both of these teams.

• Love 14

Notre Dame has a snitch line to report students who are not obeying the campus protocols. Wonder how busy it is.

4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, Trevor Lawrence can't play in the game, but he's allowed to travel to South Bend and prowl the sidelines? That doesn't compute.

I think Lawrence passed the protocols late in the week, but Dabo didn't want to start him with a day or two of practice.

• Love 2

Can you imagine if a student tests positive though?!  Not surprising but that could bring down the entire team.  Which I wouldn't bet on it.  It's Notre Dame, not Bowling Green or something

• Love 2

What is going on with Penn St?  It’s weird that the biggest B1G game this year might be tOSU vs IN.

16 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I think Lawrence passed the protocols late in the week, but Dabo didn't want to start him with a day or two of practice.

he didn’t have time to pass the cardiac protocols to participate in the game.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

he didn’t have time to pass the cardiac protocols to participate in the game.

Thanks! I hadn't paid much attention, other than knowing he couldn't play. I didn't realize he tested negative and was actually closer to playing than I thought. 

We had to travel from NBC to USA Network to pick up the ND game (and back again after), so SNLers should have been aware of channel craziness.

Speaking of craziness, I don't know the Clemson coach and I may be biased, but he seems like a giant bag.  One who has a bad relationship with Covid masks.  Will he be fined as NFL coaches are?  I think the NFL and CDC need to develop a mask not unlike the Hannibal Lecter one that locks onto the face and can only be unlocked by the Covid Czar who should be at every game.  Bad example for college kids who obviously (as we can see by the ND fans not only being there, but rushing on the field).  Everyone knows that college kids have no damn self control!/sarcasm

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Games running long is nothing new.  If viewers didn't have enough sense to pad the DVR that is on them.   Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that it is always better to pad the DVR for extra time when there are late afternoon and early evening televised sporting events.

Oh I agree.  My comment was based on fact.  I made mention in my Twitter feed that, after all these years, if you haven't learned to DVR SNL or the Amazing Race, or whatever that follows a live sporting event, I have no sympathy.  It's been the norm since the beginning of time, or since 1968.  Unless you're on the West Coast, the announcers mention the time change.  "Local programming will start after you're local news [Saturday] or after 60 Minutes [Sunday] over most of these [Network] stations.

I think we agree, icemiser.  I felt for them, but if they wanted to stay up for whatever.  However, if they didn't, record it and all extra time.  Moreover, their episode is available online.  When I watched SNL super-regularly in the past I always taped to cover.  If I couldn't catch it or if I screwed up, the Plan B was always there.  That, and I caught it Sunday (or Monday during the football season / late college hoops season)

I think I was pissed off at Notre Dame / Clemson due to being incorrect with my prediction and less with the winner.  I'd be pissed if I went with Notre Dame but Clemson beat them.  While I respect both, I'm not a fan either.  Dabo knows that no one's messing with him.  They'll fine him once and that's it.  In the NFL, they'll still fine him once, but then successfully scare him into doing the right thing for the most part

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Carey said:

I think I was pissed off at Notre Dame / Clemson due to being incorrect with my prediction and less with the winner.  I'd be pissed if I went with Notre Dame but Clemson beat them.  While I respect both, I'm not a fan either.  Dabo knows that no one's messing with him.  They'll fine him once and that's it.  In the NFL, they'll still fine him once, but then successfully scare him into doing the right thing for the most part

The NFL just took a draft pick from the Raiders on top of another fine for repeated face covering violations. The only thing similar to that is if the NCAA reduced the number of scholarships from the programs, but I doubt they'll do it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Popples said:

The NFL just took a draft pick from the Raiders on top of another fine for repeated face covering violations. The only thing similar to that is if the NCAA reduced the number of scholarships from the programs, but I doubt they'll do it.

That's the thing.  Dabo is now in that "elite" territory where the NCAA would rather not touch him.  Everyone else (save for Saban, Day, Orgeron, even Miles and Gundy) might get docked.  As of November 8th, I probably won't bet on it.  We're actually getting close to the end of the season, and if all goes pretty well, it will be the last time we have to deal with this situation ever again.

The Raiders probably did more in a day than Dabo did in a week to violate protocol.  Dabo's about winning and business; Gruden and Mark Davis couldn't care less.  Swinney doesn't have a championship to date in the NFL, and while Gruden does, I hardly think he is on the level of a Bill Belichick or Andy Reid or Pete Carroll.  At least those successful guys will adjust and deal with it, but they might avoid discipline otherwise.  Just my opinion

• Love 1