Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

Undefeated in an all-SEC season. Won SEC Championship. Won NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!

I am beyond emotional. This is the first time since college that I’ve been able to be at home to celebrate with family. I am thankful. A family member played a roll in integrating the team. May the tide always roll. 

• Love 1

I least I finally predicted the eventual winner outright, so there's a moral victory for yours truly.  Though IIRC I did say that Clemson would take out Alabama a couple years ago, but I'm usually incorrect.

Meh; hats off to Alabama and Nick Saban.  AND really for the sport finding a way to finish the year.  That really is directed to the ACC and the SEC.  To some extent; it's pretty easy for a conference to do whatever it takes to get in a season when they're more likely than not to have a team get into the CFB Playoff every year.  It's still a nice accomplishment for Saban and Bama, but as mentioned it seems a little hollow.  Over 100 teams including 25 contenders, but it's not a season in the sport unless the playoff field has Alabama, and then, Clemson, Notre Dame/Ohio State, and another SEC program.  Everyone else, forget it.

Mojoween, I felt for Coach Corso as well.  ESPN was never going to have him attend the events live, and they've been good to Lee over the past 12 years in addition to the past 3.5 decades.  The coach usually doesn't do anything late except for twice a year including the Heisman and the National Championship.  Other than that, it's just Gameday Saturday mornings and nothing else (apart from the two mentioned evening events and until last year, the NFL Draft).

Honestly, I felt worried for the coach all season and over the years anyway, but the guy contributes like a pro, always has done so.  Obviously these days when you get the Xs and Os, folks like Kirk, Des, Pollack, Bear, etc are very good.

I think last night was the first time I felt genuinely concerned for the Coach to the point where I was not optimistic he would return next season.  Probably could be the fact that Lee Corso didn't want to be there, couldn't wait to be done with the season.  In addition to the obvious, could be that he was bored outright, especially with everything going on.  If this is it for him, I will not be surprised at all.  Sure Ohio State could've won last night, but IMO, it is telling that went with Brutus when he probably would've picked Bama at least most other times.  Personally, I think he went with Ohio State for the headgear last night for the purpose of ending with what started it all more than the Buckeyes' chances of winning it.

I hope I'm wrong, but while there is optimism we are heading in the right direction, there is still a long way to go.  I don't know or think the Coach is going to do this remote thing another year.  Whether he'll want to travel with Rece and company is a different story, but I don't know about that either

How strong is the industry reputation of the Nick Saban Coach Rehabilitation Clinic? Doug Marrone was a head coach in the NFL until a couple of weeks ago. Now there are reports that he might accept a position as Alabama's offensive line coach.

• Love 1

As a Badger fan & season ticket holder, I'm very happy to hear that Defensive Coordinator Jim Leonhard will be remaining at Wisconsin.  He's a great coach and wonderful recruiter.  Now I'm off to the NFL thread to post that as a Packers fan, I'm very sad to hear that their new Defensive Coordinator won't be Jim Leonhard after he declined their offer yesterday. 

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Going from four to twelve is dumb.  It’s too much.

Correct, but colleges don't care if they can use their student athletes to bring in more and more and more and more and more and more money.

• Love 1

I think they should’ve gone to 8 and then 12.  However, I think I’m okay with them going to 12, given the fact that the 4 team playoff has been underwhelming.  It’s Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and whatever else every year.  Notre Dame going undefeated wrecks the chances for someone else.  Oklahoma gets there and falls, and then the SEC still managed to put in two teams.

On one hand, 8 would’ve been perfect (it would allow for the Power 5 championship teams as an AQ + ND + a Group of 5 + an at large (or BAMA or Ohio State in the event they don’t win the SEC or Big 10 combined).  OTOH, the committee who find a way to wreck it by still putting in the “best teams” and still saying no thank you to an undefeated Group of Five winner.

Hopefully they’ll tweak things for a 12-team postseason, but despite the pros & cons, if and when the time comes for them to play it, I don’t see myself boycotting it

• Love 4

Boom goes the dynamite. 

Supreme Court rules against NCAA restrictions on colleges offering educational perks to compensate student-athletes

Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, writing for the court, said Wilken had carefully examined the NCAA’s arguments and found them lacking as to why the organization should be spared from the normal rigor of antitrust litigation.

The lower court’s decision “stands on firm ground — an exhaustive factual record, a thoughtful legal analysis consistent with established antitrust principles, and a healthy dose of judicial humility,” Gorsuch wrote.

One justice went further, and said in a concurring opinion that the NCAA is going to have trouble in the future defending its policy that athletes should not be compensated.

Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh said tradition alone “cannot justify the NCAA’s decision to build a massive money-raising enterprise on the backs of student athletes who are not fairly compensated. Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate.”

• Love 5

It's a specific ruling, but Kavanaugh's opinion in particular leaves the door open for more lawsuits.

I do think that if it comes to schools paying players, that will be the end of nonrevenue collegiate sports the way we know them, including sports like swimming, softball, track, rowing, wrestling. 

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

It's a specific ruling, but Kavanaugh's opinion in particular leaves the door open for more lawsuits.

I do think that if it comes to schools paying players, that will be the end of nonrevenue collegiate sports the way we know them, including sports like swimming, softball, track, rowing, wrestling. 

The schools don't have to pay players.  They just have to let them get paid by others to do ads, media events, online stuff, all the ancillary things that every other college student is allowed to do without interference from the schools.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The schools don't have to pay players.  They just have to let them get paid by others to do ads, media events, online stuff, all the ancillary things that every other college student is allowed to do without interference from the schools.  

This is an issue facing the NCAA separate from the Supreme Court ruling. Names, Images and Likenesses. Right now the NCAA (read, commissioners from the Power 5) are in the process of hammering out the rules to cover such circumstances. They face a hard deadline because several states have enacted their own rules to go into effect July.

The Supreme Court decision removed NCAA limits to educational compensation from schools to athletes. Stuff like gaming pcs computers used in home research.

(edited)
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

This is an issue facing the NCAA separate from the Supreme Court ruling. Names, Images and Likenesses. Right now the NCAA (read, commissioners from the Power 5) are in the process of hammering out the rules to cover such circumstances. They face a hard deadline because several states have enacted their own rules to go into effect July.

The Supreme Court decision removed NCAA limits to educational compensation from schools to athletes. Stuff like gaming pcs computers used in home research.

That is exactly the problem for the big time athletic schools.  They make huge money every year from selling merchandise with the name and likenesses of their star athletes and those athletes don't collect a dime from any of it.  Star players at major college football and basketball programs bring in millions of dollars to those programs from the sale of jerseys with their name and number.  Even years after they graduate, those universities still sell merchandise linked to their careers.   

Archie Griffin won 2 Heisman trophies for Ohio State and graduated in 1975.  To this very day anyone can buy a brand  new OSU jersey with his name and number, 45 on it.  He graduated 46 years ago!  Now, he was assistant AD and eventually president of the alumni association; but I'd be willing to wager that no one has ever contributed more to the university financially.

The NCAA is going to have to face the fact that their star athletes are no longer cash cows and they are going to have to figure out a way to split revenue with the players whose achievements sell the merchandise.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I know what this supreme court ruling specifically said, but the reasons the case was lost and the statements of the justices in the rulings, plus the fact it was a unanimous decision on a divided court and with the conservative justices in particular making damning statements about the current NCAA structure pretty much guarrantee the laws moving forward on image and likeness laws currently going into place are not going to be overturned if they reach the supreme court.

And whatever rules the NCAA comes up with on image and likeness are most probably going to be insufficient, minimalist garbage to try and continue to maintain ad much power and Money for the system as possible.  They are going to try and toss a meager bone to the players because they are being forced to do so and they will hope that will placate things as long as possible. 

But it won't likely.  The language of this ruling indicates the NCAA has to make major changes because they have little legal legs to stand in with the current system.  

• Love 2

And in case you have any doubt about the NCAAs total denial about the current situation and their plan to continue to promote a far outdated model with some forced tweeks, NCAA president and their lawyer today stated kavanaughs remarks don't mean much, it's just his opinion. 

https://thespun.com/college-football/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-response-brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court

Just the opinion of one justice of the highest court in the land.  Ahh.....nothing to worry about. 

They are so arrogant and out of touch. 

• LOL 4

Now that the NCAA lifted rules that previously restricted college athletes from making money off of name, image and likeness deals, Auburn QB Bo Nix is first out the gate with an endorsement deal.

• Love 1

You know, I thought for a second that the Big 12 would die in the early part of the past decade. It survived and actually got better. Texas AND Oklahoma joining the SEC will kill it no matter what else doesn't happen

• Love 1

If OU and Texas are going to join the SEC, the SEC should have to shed two teams.  They can fight out who goes Hunger Games style.

Someone yesterday (on Highly Questionable, I think) said that conferences are no longer allowed to use numbers in their name, because the Big 12 and B1G make no sense, and I would like to add that geography no longer applies either.  Like The Big “East”.

• Love 1

This is the third time I can think of off of the top of my head about ESPN being wildly accused of interfering in things. There was Kirk Herbstreit supposedly leaking Les Miles to Michigan in order to sabotage the deal (plus I'm sure all sorts of other coach drama over the years). Then there was the Pac10 getting ready to raid the Big12. Although I can't remember if ESPN was supposed to have been for or against that.

Some in the media are trying really hard to make USC (along with Washington, Cal and Oregon) to the Big 10 a possible thing. I've also seen a few suggest SEC is courting OSU/Michigan and Clemson. Chaos is right.

At this point screw conferences. Might as well just form two leagues (ACC/SEC on one side and Big10/Pac12 on the other and split the rest) and the champions meet in a Super Bowl. Winner gets Notre Dame or something.

• Useful 1