Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

At the time they did it, it was 14-0, still in the first quarter.  I think they were giving it a try just for the experience and figured they’d lose the ball just like most onside kicks. At that point, there was more than enough time for Maryland  to get back in the game, even with OSU up by 21.

No, Day said afterwards that they went for the onside kick because they saw an opening and thought they could pull it off.  They were absolutely trying to run up the score.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

No, Day said afterwards that they went for the onside kick because they saw an opening and thought they could pull it off.  They were absolutely trying to run up the score.

OK, so, they only should've won 66-14, much closer.  As we all know, when it comes to the BCS, teams have got to have impressive wins.  OSU did run up the score in the first half and it was 42-0 by halftime.  However, in the second half, everyone but the guy in the Brutus costume came in to play and they still managed to score.  That happens when the opponent just isn't very good.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Is that an option? Because I would totally watch that game.

Me too. 

Also, OSU's coaching staff spoke about the onside kick.  They said that they practiced it all week and they decided that they were going to try it on their third kickoff, no matter what the score was.  And so they did.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

He supposedly has a hip dislocation that injured blood vessels and nerves, similar to Bo Jackson’s injury. Those are career ending injuries, but I hope it’s not as bad as people think it is and he is able to play in the few years. If he needs a hip replacement his career is likely over.  I feel terrible for him.

Edited by twoods

Tua is definitely done for the season.  And w/Jalen Hurts getting destroyed at Baylor, I see no challengers to Joe Burrow’s Heisman.  Maybe Justin Fields, but I don’t think he’s played a complete game all season.  Ditto JK Dobbins.  Maybe Herbert or Chuba?

If only Chase hadn’t taken a loan for his girlfriend to watch him play in the Rose Bowl.

• Love 1

GEAUX TIGERS!  I still can’t bring myself to feel secure or happy.  2 more to geaux!

So happy MN lost today.  Now can we quit trying to act like they can hang?  Every time I read or hear someone try to justify them, I want to say GEORGIA SOUTHERN.  Look at the scores. LOOK 👏🏻 AT 👏🏻 THE 👏🏻 SCORES👏🏻.  Let’s not act like they won’t get pasted by THE Ohio State if they make it to the conference chip game.

Ha, OK goes down again.  Good.  If only Clemsux could be exposed, but sadly the ACC is weak AF. 

28 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Ha, OK goes down again.  Good.  If only Clemsux could be exposed, but sadly the ACC is weak AF. 

We both spoke too soon.  Baylor couldn’t stop them or do anything on offense 2nd half.

But Jalen fumbled 2x and threw an interception, so I do think he hurt his Heisman chances.

3 minutes ago, roamyn said:

We both spoke too soon.  Baylor couldn’t stop them or do anything on offense 2nd half.

But Jalen fumbled 2x and threw an interception, so I do think he hurt his Heisman chances.

Oh shit!  I totally thought OK lost.  I kinda tuned out once the LSU game was starting.  Long day running around trying to get Christmas stuff in order lol.  

Just glad LSU & tOSU won.  💜💛

• Love 1

LOL at those prematurely counting OU out when the second half turned out to be all Sooners; a 25-point comeback to hand Baylor its first loss of the season.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
On 11/10/2019 at 9:38 PM, NUguy514 said:

They were absolutely trying to run up the score.

IMO, I don't think it's running up the score if it happens in the first quarter.  Stealing a possession?  Sure but running up the score is usually something that happens towards the end of the game when there's no chance a team can come back.

Even though OSU was highly favored, it's not impossible that there could be an upset. 

• Love 4

Well, 3 turnovers assured that tOSU wouldn’t become the first team in college history to beat their first 11 opponents by 21+.  But at least we share the record w/the ‘73 Cornhuskers (I think it’s ‘73).

But Justin...  PROTECT THE BALL!  Slippery or not, the #1 Ruoe of Offense is to PROTECT THE BALL!

Oh, and good job back up QB for the Nittany Lions.  You have to give it up that he was able to capitalize on our turnovers.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:05 PM, Irlandesa said:

IMO, I don't think it's running up the score if it happens in the first quarter.  Stealing a possession?  Sure but running up the score is usually something that happens towards the end of the game when there's no chance a team can come back.

Even though OSU was highly favored, it's not impossible that there could be an upset. 

It wasn’t running up the score at all.   They had to play a weak ass opponent the same week they were ranked #1 over #2 and #3 playing each other and they are playing no one.  They had to make a statement.   But they also couldn’t do anything when their 5th sting was still scoring.

Can y’all please start a prayer chain for me?  My Ohio born dad who raised me a Buckeye fan but then I went off to LSU....this is not gonna be a pleasant Christmas.  🤣

I have to zoom past the multitude of Twitter posts about the Egg Bowl without reading them because I am mortified for that kid.  Not only was he part of the cause of them losing for the unsportsmanlike penalty, but it was for pretending to piss like a dog. 
I guess if you’re going to go down in flames, they might as well be as hot as possible.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

That kid has to be either the dumbest person in college football or the most selfish.  He made a deliberate decision to do something so stupidly crude, and must have known there was no question he would be penalized.  How proud his family must be.  I think of this kid a few years down the road applying for jobs and prospective employers doing a background check and realizing the person who wants to represent their company is this moron.  

• Love 1

Just a reminder that Ohio and Michigan almost fought a real border war back in the day. Over Toledo.

I feel bad for Mike Gundy's wife. She probably really wants him to chop that thing on his head off, but he can't because it's his trademark look. (Hell, I wonder if Gundy wants it gone.)

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 1

Seriously, FUCK Auburn. You don’t get to rewind back to a second, huddle, assemble the field goal team, and THEN blow the whistle to start the play. If Alabama had done that, we’d be reamed up the ass and rightfully so. Saban had every right to lose his shit.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 1

Even though Minnesota lost today, they still had a great year and exceeded most people's expectations.  They are still going to get a decent bowl game, and even better don't have to play OSU in the Big 10 championship game.  Given that they are a young team, most players should be returning next year.  Even with Michigan as one of their cross over games and playing Wisconsin in Madison, they should be a 8 to 10 win team. 

Fleck's extension and his ~$10 million buyout won't keep him at Minnesota in the long term, and that drops to $5 million after January 2021.   He's going to break the hearts of both fans and players who finally have a program they are invested in. 

He was one of several names tossed around as possible replacements for Mark Dantonio if his time at MSU is coming to an end.  Based on internet gossip, Fleck was seen as a reach even before his extension because MSU supposedly doesn't have the money, both AD funds and donor funds, to match Fleck's buyout. 

• LOL 1

Saban's recruited the best athletes in America, why the hell can he not recruit a kicker?

20 minutes ago, anyanka323 said:

Even though Minnesota lost today, they still had a great year and exceeded most people's expectations.

Yeah, yeah. But it sure would've been nice to see them in Pasadena.

• Love 3

It’s all come together today!!!!!  We’ve had the best day EVER!!!!  Ohio State kicked the shit out of TTUN.  MN shit the bed on the big stage.  Bama has TWO LOSSES.  Satan lost his shit because he got the short end of it like every other team ever has.  Also, I’ve got my Christmas shopping done, got my dead flowers pulled this morning.  LIFE IS GOOD.  Did I miss anything?  

🤔 WEA.  GEAUX TIGAHS!!!!  I almost hate ATM more than the Bama.  So take that Aggies.  I’m floating on a cloud.  

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Saban's recruited the best athletes in America, why the hell can he not recruit a kicker?

Yeah, yeah. But it sure would've been nice to see them in Pasadena.

Y’all want BAMA???? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Love 2
10 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

One of the best comments I read was that not having a reliable kicker was in the fine print of his deal with the devil.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

But WE BEAT TTUN BY A BIGGER SOREAD THAN LAST YEAR! 23pts in 2018, and 29pts in 2019.

I really wish, tho, MN had won in the snow.  I like PJ Fleck and would’ve loved to see him in the Rose a Bowl.  Plus, I don’t want to play WI again.

Also GO AUBURN!!!!  Maybe that 1 sec add on at the end of the 1st half was BS, maybe not.  But you can’t tell me that Nick Saban wouldn’t have done the same?  Damn right he would’ve.  But it was great seeing the veins on his neck pop! HAHAHA!  He also had some questionable play calls.  There’s no way AL is one of the SIX best teams in the country when they haven’t beaten one ranked team!

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 5

Any Thanksgiving in which Jerry Jones walks away pissed off is a good one, and the holiday weekend got even better when Saban watched his team get knocked out of playoff contention. I won't have a team to truly root for unless OU winds up number four, but I'd root for Utah on Pac-12 solidarity grounds. With Alabama (irrevocably tainted by Saban; I don't care about them otherwise) out, at least I no longer have to worry about loathing one of the final four.  (Ohio St. I hate, but not loathe.)

On 11/30/2019 at 11:51 PM, AimingforYoko said:

I have no fucking clue. It’s become a weekly conversation in my family during football season for the past two years. 

I have no problem with us not making the playoffs this year. Our team’s defense is too green, and we’ve suffered a lot of injuries this season. I’m also irate with fans calling for Saban’s firing. Do these idiots not remember the Shula, Dubose, and Franchione years?! Those were dark times. We had a bump in the road, nothing unlike the 2013 and 2014 seasons. We will look ahead and prepare for the 2020 season. Roll tide!

Also, I cackled like a loon seeing Auburn fined $250,000 for the fans storming the field. Idiots trapped in shrubbery.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2019 at 7:43 PM, PepSinger said:

I have no fucking clue. It’s become a weekly conversation in my family during football season for the past two years. 

I have no problem with us not making the playoffs this year. Our team’s defense is too green, and we’ve suffered a lot of injuries this season. I’m also irate with fans calling for Saban’s firing. Do these idiots not remember the Shula, Dubose, and Franchione years?! Those were dark times. We had a bump in the road, nothing unlike the 2013 and 2014 seasons. We will look ahead and prepare for the 2020 season. Roll tide!

Also, I cackled like a loon seeing Auburn fined $250,000 for the fans storming the field. Idiots trapped in shrubbery.

Saban has made some questionable calls this season, so I can see fans mad at him.  But calling for his firing just because they didn’t make the Playoffs?  AL is still one of the 10 best teams in the country.

I can see calling for Khaki Pants’ firing.  He routinely gets great recruits and doesn’t develop them.  Which is weird coming from the guy who nurtured Kaepernick.  Plus you just CANNOT continuously lose to tOSU or other top 10 teams.   Yes Khaki Pants has a 76% win ratio, but not where it matters.  Beating up on lowly MI St this year not withstanding.  He doesn’t make adjustments at half times, his players are never held accountable for thei mistakes, and he answers legitimate press questions with surliness.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

I have a soft spot for the Holiday Bowls of the eighties. In an era before every game was on TV, and the triple option was still a thing, we in the east would hear rumors of BYU quarterbacks putting up crazy numbers. McMahon, Detmer, Young. . . And this game was one of the few chances we got to see them.

• Love 3

Utah is getting beat like they stole something.  I expected Oregon to dominate - Utah is overrated - but this is really something so far.

In other Pac-12 news, USC is keeping Clay Helton.  That's pretty astoundingly stupid; who cares if he's a good guy if he's not a good coach?!  He's had plenty of time to prove himself, and he hasn't.  As a consequence, game attendance has fallen and the recruiting class is anemic.  (I haven't looked it up, but alumni donations are probably down, too, which is a sad commentary, but a fact of life.)

If there isn't a big turnaround next season, he has to finally be shown the door, but it's a tough season - opening on the road against Alabama, playing Notre Dame early, and playing Oregon, Stanford, and Utah on the road.  The new AD just delayed the inevitable, and the recruiting fallout is going to be felt even after Helton is gone.

I'm really looking forward to the OU-Baylor rematch in tomorrow's Big 12 championship.  Well, I'm looking forward to the second half - it's on at 9:00 a.m. here, so that's all I'm going to see.  Go Sooners!

I like the number four slot in the playoffs coming down to the wire.

Edited by Bastet

Well, poof goes the PAC12 for another season.  Too bad, it would’ve been nice to see some fresh blood in the CPL.  Now only OKU stands in the way of Baylor getting a shot.

In semi-college news, SI is reporting that Stephen Jones wants Urban Meyer as the Dallas Cowboys next coach. BWAHAHAH!  Urban?  Putting up with Jerry?  I don’t think so.  Besides, a Urban has gone on record that he will never switch over to the NFL.  Even Saban couldn’t do it.

• LOL 2

I had a dream overnight that I was attending the SEC championship and when we got there it was announced that UGA had backed out of the game and was being replaced by Vanderbilt.   I’m still sitting here chuckling to myself.  Silly.

In other news, Lane Kiffin to Ole Miss?  Should be a fun time.  Can’t stand the guy, but it’s gonna be entertaining anyway.  Can you imagine if he manages to beat Satan?  🤯🤣

Edited by geauxaway
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

In other Pac-12 news, USC is keeping Clay Helton.  That's pretty astoundingly stupid; who cares if he's a good guy if he's not a good coach?!  He's had plenty of time to prove himself, and he hasn't.  As a consequence, game attendance has fallen and the recruiting class is anemic.  (I haven't looked it up, but alumni donations are probably down, too, which is a sad commentary, but a fact of life.)

Michigan State is in a similar situation as well.  They had a very disappointing year and barely made a bowl game.  They are also struggling with recruiting as well. 

Dantonio is due to get a $4 million longevity bonus in mid January as part of the extension he signed after the 2016 season.   If he were to retire after that, that probably would be the best scenario. 

It's a tough call for programs after disappointing years.  There's a lot of factors to consider.  It costs money to fire coaches, pay their buyout and then likely have to pay some portion of the buyouts of the person they hire. 

As far as the recruiting factor is concerned, my view is that if recruiting is looking up, give the coaches another year and see if they are willing to make some changes in their personnel to address the problem areas.  If their isn't much coming down the recruiting pipeline and there hasn't been good development of current players, then it's time to go in a new direction. 

Georgia was exposed as the overrated frauds that they are. Also, Jake Fromm is not a good quarterback. There, I said it. UGA fans are probably kicking themselves for UGA choosing Fromm over Fields. I will say that my favorite unintentionally hilarious moment was when Gary Danielson said, “Jake loves this stadium,” and the chyron at the bottom of the screen said he had a 1-2 record at the stadium. 😂😂 Now, it’s 1-3; I wonder if he still loves it?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Georgia was exposed as the overrated frauds that they are. Also, Jake Fromm is not a good quarterback. There, I said it. UGA fans are probably kicking themselves for UGA choosing Fromm over Fields. I will say that my favorite unintentionally hilarious moment was when Gary Danielson said, “Jake loves this stadium,” and the chyron at the bottom of the screen said he had a 1-2 record at the stadium. 😂😂 Now, it’s 1-3; I wonder if he still loves it?

And all his fans left after halftime.  I’m not going lie, I’ve left a Tigers game early.  But still that was a sad state of affairs all those empty red seats for the better part of the 2nd half.  

I was so hoping for a Clemsux loss.  I am so over Dabo and his whining.  I’ve never liked him, but man this week has been sickening.  To me, his face is just so punchable.

Last but not least, the only TV coverage of Satan today was his AFLAC commercial.  Hi Satan, bye Satan! 🤣

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

So it looks like the playoffs will be LSU, OSU, Clemson and Oklahoma. 

I don't think Oklahoma is in LSU's weight class, but OSU-Clemson should be the game of the year.

I think tOSU might remain as #1.  They were playing w/an injured QB, missed several key defensive players, make the best adjustments of any team at halftime, beat the same top ten team TWICE , blanked WI in the 2nd, and the score was still in the double digits.  UGA was also missing quite a few players, which prevented a competitive game.

They’re scoring differential is also better than LSU’s.

Edited by roamyn
8 hours ago, anyanka323 said:

If their isn't much coming down the recruiting pipeline and there hasn't been good development of current players, then it's time to go in a new direction. 

And that's exactly why it was time to move on from Helton, despite his players loving him and the costly buyout of his contract, but USC's new AD opted to waste another year on him.

Speaking of stupid decisions by USC ADs, I still wonder what could have been with Ed Orgeron.  When Pat Haden opted not to keep him on (after he served as interim HC following Lane Kiffin's hilarious firing on the tarmac), I understood it -- USC had lost to UCLA under him, and word was USC was going to bring in a big name coach.  But then it was Steve Sarkissian, and WTF with that shit, dude?  So after Sarkissian's anemic tenure, I always wondered what Orgeron would have done in that same time, and when I see him win the SEC with LSU, I'm happy for him. 

Also that it likely puts OU in the number four slot.  Which brings me to not knowing how to feel about the Big 10 championship; I hate Ohio State (in general, with that "The" nonsense, and especially with Urban Meyer associated in any way), so I'd love to see Wisconsin knock them off, but not if that would screw up OU's chance.  It shouldn't, as Wisconsin would still have two losses and should only knock Ohio St. down, but beating the number one team in a conference championship game could do weird things to voters. 

So I was a little hesitant in my ultimately fruitless rooting for Wisconsin tonight.  But the Buckeyes won, and here we are with the presumed final four.  I think LSU should be on top, and thus face OU in the Peach Bowl.  And I fear for OU's chances.

• Love 3

I’m conflicted on who to root for in the Peach Bowl. I want to root for OU because of my never ending love for Jalen. However, I want the title to come back to the SEC because it’s number one in my heart even when Alabama isn’t playing. SEC > everyone else (except when the team playing is Auburn because fuck them).

Well, I think the Committee got it wrong, but tOSU matches up better w/Clemson, as they’re both more balanced, and LSU matches up with OU as they both have explosive Offenses & Defenses that are hit & miss.

I’m glad we have three weeks for our banged up defense & QB to heal up.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:53 AM, QueerGirrl said:

Most of those Bowl names are straight up hilarious. 

If the winner of the Cheez-It Bowl doesn’t receive a year’s supply of Cheez-Its, what is even the point of anything?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Man y’all.   Life is great, but I also have some tough choices to make.  Not really, but I like to be entertained.  So, I was raised as a Buckeye fan, but was born and raised in WI.  Then I went to Louisiana, after that back north (ugh) to MN, which was not the best time of my life.  I’m now happily settled in MO, but my heart is still in LA. I get to 1 game at Death Valley per year.   I was at Coach O’s first official game as coach.  (I still love LES, but it was time).  2007 was the last time any of this was ever relevant. Either way, my kids pops is TOSU ALL THE WAY (pops and raised from O-H-I-O).   We are a very diverse house!

Heisman Saturday is one of my favorite days.  I cry every single time.

Tomorrow night is gonna be great.  But y’all know there’s only ONE 2 TIME HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER.  #45 (Hi, pops).  Christmas is coming and that means the one time a year I see my pop and my uncles (all from O-H).  Y’all want to pay me each time I hear “welllll...there’s only ONE TWO TIME HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER.”  Grumble grumble grumble.

LET THE BAND PLAY NECK!

🙌🏼  #BURREAUX