Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Sources: Power 5 talking about no fall football

Commissioners of the Power 5 conferences held an emergency meeting on Sunday, as there is growing concern among college athletics officials that the upcoming football season and other fall sports can't be played because of the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN.

Several sources have indicated to ESPN that Big Ten presidents, following a meeting on Saturday, are ready to pull the plug on its fall sports season, and they wanted to gauge if commissioners and university presidents and chancellors from the other Power 5 conferences -- the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC -- will fall in line with them.

• Useful 4

I'd say it's possible that the NFL goes on and plays games as best it can while college football is cancelled. They are being paid and players had an opt out option that over 60 chose before the deadline. Asking thousands of unpaid college players to bear the risks is untenable.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I wonder if this leads to NFL cancelling as well.

Even though it's the same sport, it's apples and oranges to me.

The professional league has 32 teams, consisting of (mostly) grown ups who have some sort of shot at being monitored and able to follow safety rules.

There's absolutely no shot of getting all the 18-22 year-old kids in all the schools to come anywhere near to close to following rules. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Even though it's the same sport, it's apples and oranges to me.

Agreed. Between the union and the commissioner, the league actually has the kind of leadership needed to pull this off. From what I can tell, college football is like the wild west right now. In some conferences, individual schools are formulating covid protocols. (Race to the bottom anyone?) It doesn't seem like there is a central repository for best info and practices to make decisions. And Nebraska's coach Frost is talking about fielding a schedule this fall even if the Big Ten doesn't.

ACC is planning on playing as well.  Big 12 is on the fence; I forgot who said it, but I had to laugh at the thought of the idea that the ACC and SEC should play, and the winner of each league plays for the title, since that's what happens every year anyway

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 2:27 PM, AimingforYoko said:

And now, for a dose of perspective:

'Cuz a single college football season is morally equivalent to defeating the Nazis.  Lou needs to take a seat,  several of them.

• Love 11

Three ACC schools have switched to online learning for the semester (NC State, Notre Dame, North Carolina). Syracuse is on the brink of doing so. 

I think they might have to have another vote about starting the season.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

I'm pretty sure the final decision came down to this:

$$$$$$ = Are you ready for some Football?

That's why this was only feasible for the Power 5 conferences, the smaller schools simply do not have the resources to pull it off.

I think it was the combination of money and testing.  The money was always there for the Big 10, but to an extent.  No spectators meant not much coming in.  Without testing that would increase liability.  I don’t think the leaders in the Big 10 would want to deal with a lawsuit and a case that they would likely take the L in.

But man, that’s five weeks down the road, still time for something to occur that will result in the Big 10 changing their minds

Yeah, I don't see the Big 10 playing the full schedule through December 12.   Between the weather and the majority of campuses trying to get the number of Covid cases down, I would be very shocked and surprised if Michigan plays Ohio on December 12. 

I work at Wisconsin and the campus testing situation is not good now.  Two dorms are in lockdown through the end of this week and a third dorm was added to the mandatory testing group this past Thursday.  That means that there is only one walk up location for students and staff to get tested at, on the west side of campus.  The second location, closer to my office, was shut down this week.  My supervisor is asking those of us working on campus to get tested weekly, herself included, but that's been made more difficult by having only one testing site. 

Dane County and the city of Madison were not happy about the decision to restart Big 10 football.  The Madison Police Department will start to work with Dane County Public Health to enforce occupancy limits for bars and restaurants, currently 25% for indoor spaces and 50% for outdoor seating.  First violation is a fine and second violation is a hearing to revoke the establishment's liquor license.  Dane County Public Health released numbers for persons affiliated with Badger Athletics who have tested positive this week, with 29 testing positive in the first two weeks of September.  They aren't releasing the breakdown of student athletes or staff, but if you look at the UW Smart Restart website, it looks like it's mostly student athletes. 

House parties and tailgates are being strongly discouraged, but given the Wisconsin weather, hosting them outdoors is only realistic for the first couple weeks. 

• Useful 6

Saban vs Kiffin. 

I suppose I could root for a never ending tie.

Now that they are into conference play, it looks like football's plan is to use their huge rosters to power through the season, covid be damned. I saw a Gameday interview with North Carolina's Mac Brown a half hour before kickoff. It was the Gameday crew that informed him that 15 players from Virginia Tech would be unavailable for the game although covid wasn't given as a reason. VT didn't even do the courtesy of telling their opponent.

Some of this is almost certainly covid related. But VT isn't saying. In the previous weeks they sat 21 and 23 players. Perhaps out of contact tracing caution, perhaps because of positive tests and some were probably plain old injury. But it's really interesting how college has managed the pandemic compared to the pros.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:37 PM, Popples said:

I didn't realize he was 90.

90 is about right.  I believe he was one of the two people that were considered the face of their program for a century (if not half-century), with the other being Penn State.  Bowden was around FSU for a very long time, and he's been gone from the program as HC for over a decade

Hope the coach will be okay; amazing it's been 10 years since he left

• Love 2

Alabama, I love you. I really go. However, what the HELL was that “defense”?

That being said, I love the poetry of Kiffin trying an on sides kick TWICE against us and failing when he was the one who did it as our OC during our first championship game with Clemson, which we won.

All the best to Saban & Byrne.

Florida?  What are you going to do?  A full crowd is a nice thing.  Just not right now, revenue aside.  Not sure it does any good where Florida could get bounced as a precaution.  The permission for it is fair enough, since it's also meaningless to cap it at 5,500 fans such a stadium