Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

OK, I really didn't care about the outcome of the playoffs. 

And then I saw an interview with Dabo Sweeney trying to justify his vote leaving OSU out of the top ten. While I appreciate the debate on who should be ranked in the top four during the circumstances of this season, there is no damn way he truly believes Cincinnati is a better team than the Buckeyes.

Uphill climb, but I hope they beat his ass.

• Love 4

It's been a lousy season for my Wisconsin Badgers as COVID and injuries has decimated the team and their schedule, but they've got the Axe for another year, today in the bowl game the Wake Forest QB apparently decided that the guys in the red jerseys are on his team and threw 4 interceptions in the 2nd half, and Paul Chryst has a great class coming in.  I'm hoping I can cheer them on from Camp Randall next year. 

Was the trophy coated in mayo?  Probably made it a little slippery.  When asked, Paul Chryst said that he wanted each player to have a piece of the trophy 🤣  The question is whether Graham Mertz (he was the one dancing with it when the incident happened) has to pay for the replacement.  There's probably a chapter on this situation in the NCAA rule book, eh?   I think they should put the broken one in their trophy showcase.  What could be a better representation of 2020?

I was a bit disappointed the bucket at the end of game wasn't full of mayo.  I would have loved to see Paul doused with that.  

• LOL 4

Apparently they didn't know the top football wasn't attached to the base. In some videos, you can see the base fall away as it drops and before it hits anything. 

I'm surprised it shattered like that. Anyway,  the "repair" that puts a mayo bottle on top of the base is probably worth enough publicity for Duke to to order a new one.  

• Useful 2
21 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Apparently they didn't know the top football wasn't attached to the base. In some videos, you can see the base fall away as it drops and before it hits anything. 

I'm surprised it shattered like that. Anyway,  the "repair" that puts a mayo bottle on top of the base is probably worth enough publicity for Duke to to order a new one.  

The shattering of the trophy is getting more coverage than the game itself.  

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often with crystal trophies.  Not the first time certainly; didn't one of the BCS championship trophies get smashed?  It's not just crystal trophies - a Lombardi Trophy was dented by one of the Patriots (Gronk?) and of course there's the famous story of Eddie George being required to put his Heisman through the X-ray machine at the airport which damaged it.  

Edited by Calvada
typo!
  • Love 1

Ok I have no idea why there was a brawl at the end of the Armed Forces Bowl but the kid from Miss. St. who did a flying kick at the player from the other team who was laying on the sidelines needs a banning.  

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ok I have no idea why there was a brawl at the end of the Armed Forces Bowl but the kid from Miss. St. who did a flying kick at the player from the other team who was laying on the sidelines needs a banning.  

Here he is being a complete asshole about it:

OK, I really didn't care about the outcome of the playoffs. 

And then I saw an interview with Dabo Sweeney trying to justify his vote leaving OSU out of the top ten. While I appreciate the debate on who should be ranked in the top four during the circumstances of this season, there is no damn way he truly believes Cincinnati is a better team than the Buckeyes.

I'm actually hoping for the opposite.  I would love to see Clemson beat Ohio State's ass.  The reason has nothing to do with Ohio State.  I actually admire the Buckeyes.  The respect is there.

However, in wanting to see the Tigers blow out the Buckeyes at the very least, it's direct more toward TPTB.  In TPTB that involves the folks responsible for stopping at nothing to make sure six-win Ohio State was included in the CFB Playoff.  The committee was going to add them regardless, but the Big Ten kept moving the goal posts to save their behinds while benefitting from having one of their own in the dance.

Dabo is the perfect villain.  I think I love him because I hate him.  The guys makes no secret on what he's all about.  He isn't afraid to express his opinions on any subject, touchy or no.  Putting Cincy over OSU, added to his thoughts on Florida State, in addition to what he's said all season (if not since Day one) may be more than unpopular.  The fact that he takes it higher than the highest level is rather funny as hell.

Just my opinion; of course I have to respect Dabo due to the fact that the guy just wins, period

• Love 2

I've never been happier for a Notre Dame touchdown in my life.  Well, at least in this year alone!

On a related note, refs and head coaches taking +19.5 is the answer people's question as to why Nick Saban threw a fit right in front of an official

On 12/28/2020 at 2:23 AM, xaxat said:

My job is done. Dabo got his ass kicked by the 11th ranked team in the nation.

Hell of a performance by Fields. I'm walking with a limp. Oh wait, there's someone open fifty yards downfield? I'm gonna hit him on the fly. I can't get on the exercise bike. Oh wait, there's someone forty yards down the field? I'm gonna hit him on the fly.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, xaxat said:
On 12/28/2020 at 2:23 AM, xaxat said:

My job is done. Dabo got his ass kicked by the 11th ranked team in the nation.

Hell of a performance by Fields. I'm walking with a limp. Oh wait, there's someone open fifty yards downfield? I'm gonna hit him on the fly. I can't get on the exercise bike. Oh wait, there's someone forty yards down the field? I'm gonna hit him on the fly.

I hope we get to see Ryan Day's coach's poll where he leaves Clemson out of his Top 25 outright

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

While I disagree with OSU being in the playoffs on principle, I am very much enjoying their dominance tonight.  Can someone please catch Saban on a hot mic saying OSU should be ranked 11th?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

While I disagree with OSU being in the playoffs on principle, I am very much enjoying their dominance tonight.  Can someone please catch Saban on a hot mic saying OSU should be ranked 11th?

With the revenge / chip on the shoulder narrative, I'd think that Alabama might want to avenge 2014 against the only team they don't have a win against

• Love 1

I don't know if I've ever previously been so uninterested in the national championship.  I didn't watch Alabama vs Notre Dame because I couldn't possibly root for either team, and I thought I'd watch Clemson vs Ohio State to root against the Buckeyes, but it turned out there was a Beat Bobby Flay marathon on Food Network at the same time and that sounded like a better use of my time.

Alabama vs Ohio State?  I'm sure I'll find something else to watch that night, too - maybe a 4-hour montage of bears shitting in the woods.  With a different coach, I would root for Alabama just to root against Ohio State, but Saban could be coaching against the Dallas Cowboys and I couldn't bring myself to cheer for his team.

• LOL 3

ROLL TIDE! I’m excited to see us competing for another national championship after last year’s disappointing season. Saban can be a bit of a dick at times, but I still love him. LOL.

I also disagree with tOSU being in the playoffs on principle as well. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed them beating the shit out of Clemson. Dabo deserved it after ranking them #11. It was insulting, and Clemson doesn’t exactly play in the toughest conference. They play in the ACC; they need to calm the fuck down. At least Alabama v. tOSU is something new for the championship game.

DeVonta Smith should absolutely win the Heisman.

2 hours ago, Carey said:

With the revenge / chip on the shoulder narrative, I'd think that Alabama might want to avenge 2014 against the only team they don't have a win against

One of my best bar friends is a huge tOSU fan and won’t shut up about their win back in 2014. I’ve been looking forward to this rematch FOR YEARS. Lol

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Can someone please catch Saban on a hot mic saying OSU should be ranked 11th?

Saban wouldn’t be that stupid. Say what you will about the man, but he always treats opponents with respect, whether they’re ranked #2 or #75.

• Love 2

I'm no Ohio State fan and am still annoyed they were even playing for the championship. But there's no way they should have been ranked 11. Clemson hasn't been all that great this season either. Dabo brought this on himself and it was satisfying. As a football fan, a close game would have been more fun to watch. I expect Alabama will beat Ohio State.

• Love 2

I see that the grand tradition of ND being trounced in Bowl games by the college football teams who can actually live up to their reputation continues.

When that happened in 2018, Clemson went on to an embarrassing loss in the final. 

Will be interested to see if Ohio beats Alabama by an equally embarrassing loss next week. 

1 hour ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I see that the grand tradition of ND being trounced in Bowl games by the college football teams who can actually live up to their reputation continues.

When that happened in 2018, Clemson went on to an embarrassing loss in the final. 

Will be interested to see if Ohio beats Alabama by an equally embarrassing loss next week. 

After Clemson routed Notre Dame, they stayed the course and beat the crap out of Alabama.  That was two consecutive undefeated teams the Tigers pummeled on their way to their 2nd National Title in 3 years.

If Ohio State crushes Alabama it'll just be another game.  NO precedent here

• Love 2
6 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

That's the...literal opposite of what happened.  Clemson beat Alabama 44-16, a one-point increase from the margin by which it beat Notre Dame, and won the championship.

• Love 1

Gig'em Aggies! I'm floored my alma mater is number 5 and won the Orange Bowl. It wasn't pretty, but a win is a win. Although I go against other Aggies on this, I did not believe we belonged in the top 4 playing for the championship (nor did I believe Notre Dame belonged either). What  a weird season. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Although I go against other Aggies on this, I did not believe we belonged in the top 4 playing for the championship (nor did I believe Notre Dame belonged either).

Aggie here.  I think we ended up in the perfect spot because people can now argue that we should have been in the top 4 without our almost certainly being crushed by Clemson or Alabama (again).  We can just play with a chip on our shoulder next year.  Do we have a decent quarterback next year?

• Love 2

Sarkisian goes to Texas, Kiffin gets an extension after his first year at Ole Miss and Saban is apparently looking at Adam Gace and Bill O'Brien for their OC position. The Nick Saban Coach Rehabilitation Clinic keeps rolling along.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 7

ON 1/2/2021 AT 9:46 PM,  AUNTIEDIANE6 SAID: 

That's the...literal opposite of what happened.  Clemson beat Alabama 44-16, a one-point increase from the margin by which it beat Notre Dame, and won the championship.

OOPS!  I knew SOMEBODY was embarrassed by that game ... I meant ALABAMA.  

My bad.

• Love 1

Harbaugh has been in S Cali for the last week, and reportedly flea control to MI yesterday on a private plane WITHOUT his family.  Since he used to play for the Chargers, there are inferences that he interviewed for that HC job.

Final line/spread has Alabama -9.5 and an O/U of 75.5

The Crimson Tide goes into the game undefeated in National Championship Games whenever they have a Heisman winner within the same season.  DeVonta Smith might the the difference maker for Bama, and Fields for Ohio State.

I don't think Ohio State will lose by double digits.  On a related note I don't think Alabama will lose, period.  Not sure how healthy Justin he'll be playing as if he isn't hurt