Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Minneapple

College Football

College Playoff is tired of the same old-same old and wants to open up her options.

• Like 1

Now that the NCAA lifted rules that previously restricted college athletes from making money off of name, image and likeness deals, Auburn QB Bo Nix is first out the gate with an endorsement deal.

• Like 1

College Gameday is kicking off at a battle of the HBCUs.

• Like 3

But will this help Oklahoma win a playoff game?

• Surprise 1

You know, I thought for a second that the Big 12 would die in the early part of the past decade. It survived and actually got better. Texas AND Oklahoma joining the SEC will kill it no matter what else doesn't happen

• Like 1

If OU and Texas are going to join the SEC, the SEC should have to shed two teams.  They can fight out who goes Hunger Games style.

Someone yesterday (on Highly Questionable, I think) said that conferences are no longer allowed to use numbers in their name, because the Big 12 and B1G make no sense, and I would like to add that geography no longer applies either.  Like The Big “East”.

• Like 1

I remembered not liking the last round of musical conference chairs. Nostalgia.

But I'm over that and am fully looking forward to the upcoming chaos.

• Like 5

This is the third time I can think of off of the top of my head about ESPN being wildly accused of interfering in things. There was Kirk Herbstreit supposedly leaking Les Miles to Michigan in order to sabotage the deal (plus I'm sure all sorts of other coach drama over the years). Then there was the Pac10 getting ready to raid the Big12. Although I can't remember if ESPN was supposed to have been for or against that.

Some in the media are trying really hard to make USC (along with Washington, Cal and Oregon) to the Big 10 a possible thing. I've also seen a few suggest SEC is courting OSU/Michigan and Clemson. Chaos is right.

At this point screw conferences. Might as well just form two leagues (ACC/SEC on one side and Big10/Pac12 on the other and split the rest) and the champions meet in a Super Bowl. Winner gets Notre Dame or something.

• Useful 1

I really thought that Texas A&M was going to be the lone against vote.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dmeets said:

At this point screw conferences. Might as well just form two leagues (ACC/SEC on one side and Big10/Pac12 on the other and split the rest) and the champions meet in a Super Bowl. Winner gets Notre Dame or something.

Probably the best shot Kelly has in terms of winning a Natty.  Assuming Alabama & Clemson both get picked off!

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Probably the best shot Kelly has in terms of winning a Natty.  Assuming Alabama & Clemson both get picked off!

Haha, that was my clumsy way of trying to say that instead of a trophy, winner gets Notre Dame as a prize to join their megaconference (since conferences will never stop courting them and the Big Ten has apparently never read He's Just Not That Into You). I imagine right now Notre Dame is sitting back eating this up! And hey maybe while ESPN has been devilishly scheming to decimate the Big 12, NBC is trying to finagle an automatic championship game for ND every year!

• Laugh 2

This Texas legislator, a TCU alum, questioned the president of UT at a hearing and she was absolutely savage.

• Laugh 6

On 7/20/2021 at 4:55 PM, xaxat said:

Secondly, it's none of your business announcing someone's private business deals.

It would be published in the Wall Street Journal and FORBES regardless of whether it was formally announced.  Better to have the correct figures out there and use it as a recruiting tool. 

On 8/3/2021 at 6:19 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

It would be published in the Wall Street Journal and FORBES regardless of whether it was formally announced.  Better to have the correct figures out there and use it as a recruiting tool. 

It wasn't formally announced. That's my whole point. Saban blurted out the kid's private business in order to put money in his pocket. It had nothing to do with assisting his player.

And if the media wanted to do a story on the NIL deals for that player, they would have to go to the player, giving him agency over his info.

But Saban didn't care about any of that.

• Like 1

Aww I feel badly for my mom if this nonsense about Notre Dame exclusively on Peacock is accurate.  She’s an 80 year old longtime Notre Dame fan with cable only - no internet, no system like PlayStation, and a daughter who lives with her with a smart phone that gets coverage every few minutes or so.  What a bummer.

Edited by mojoween
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Aww I feel badly for my mom if this nonsense about Notre Dame exclusively on Peacock is accurate.  She’s an 80 year old longtime Notre Dame fan with cable only - no internet, no system like PlayStation, and a daughter who lives with her with a smart phone that gets coverage every few minutes or so.  What a bummer.

Damn it, you're making me feel sorry for a Notre Dame fan. I'll never forgive you for this.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

If her cable is with Comcast, she might be able to get it without having to do much of anything other than learn to say "Peacock" into her remote.  

Unfortunately it is not.  It’s whatever trashy service took over for Time Warner…Spectrum, is it?

• Like 2

@mojoween It appears that only ND's home opener will be on Peacock. So unless you mom is also a fan of Toledo, she should be OK.

• Useful 1

On 8/6/2021 at 5:56 PM, ebk57 said:

If her cable is with Comcast, she might be able to get it without having to do much of anything other than learn to say "Peacock" into her remote.  

The game will be on the Peacock premium tier. If her mom doesn't have internet that's a tough one.

It's only one game in this case, but ESPN has already moved a bunch of games to ESPN+. Don't be surprised if even more games move exclusively to streaming. 

• Sad 3

Bobby Bowden was someone who I thought would coach forever.  Sad to hear of his passing.

I dont understand what the acc big ten pac ten alliance does or accomplishes. 

I'm not sure they understand it either.

Ive read about it all very vague. 

But it does accomplish putting off football playoff expansion. Hurray. Good job. 

Also one article on espn mentions '...whether there is another way forward that hold truer to the historic view of amateurism' in regard to the emerging NIL plans.  

great.......sounds like a wonderful idea

Just hand all the great players to the sec. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I dont understand what the acc big ten pac ten alliance does or accomplishes. 

I'm not sure they understand it either

They are doing it to educate the kids!

"I do think that there are conferences out there that could bring value from a monetary standpoint, particularly, speaking about our television contract and our television revenues," Barbour said. "... The Big Ten really prides itself on being more than just an athletics conference, in terms of our provosts get together, we share some library resources, some other academic resources."

You can tell he doesn't believe it.  He barely even tried to make an academic case. But I guess it's a reflex now?

That's also not how universities work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

They are doing it to educate the kids!

You can tell he doesn't believe it.  He barely even tried to make an academic case. But I guess it's a reflex now?

That's also not how universities work. 

Yeah that's pretty weak. 

Best I can figure it's basically a war between the sec and the other power conferences.  

And the NCAA is being squeezed out entirely.  Which may be a good thing. 

But the non sec power schools really don't seem to have an actual plan on how to fight back against the sec.  They just think they have to come together and come up with something. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73

On 8/23/2021 at 2:23 PM, Popples said:

"The Larry Scott Leadership Conference" 😄

They really know their audience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I’m confused. How does this alliance stop the playoff expansion?

It doesn't stop it but from what I read the new 'alliance' will push to put off playoff expansion for about 4 years.....

Or longer.  

But its all very vague.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/short-on-details-but-long-on-philosophy-alliance-of-big-ten-acc-pac-12-sends-message-to-sec-back-off/amp/

Edited by DrSpaceman73

19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It doesn't stop it but from what I read the new 'alliance' will push to put off playoff expansion for about 4 years.....

Or longer.  

But its all very vague.  

I suspect a large part of it is because commissioners know they can't trust each other.

That guy you are trying to negotiate with over the playoffs may well be trying to poach teams from you behind your back;.

That Bishop Sycamore story is both bonkers and sad.

• Like 4

That Georgia v Clemson game was a snooze fest.  But even tho I’m no Georgia fan, it was great seeing cheating Dabo lose.  Esp when he has a player clothesline an opponent.  Cause dirty plays are becoming a regular thing w/his teams.

• Like 2

Someone said it wouldn't be a Bobby Bowden tribute without FSU missing a field goal wide left.

Y-I-K-E-S Brian Kelly:

Also, I drive like Georgia! 😆

• Laugh 3

Even though FSU lost night, it was a remarkable completion of a personal comeback by McKenzie Milton. You could tell that the announcers were just in awe. It was amazing that Milton hadn’t played a competitive game in nearly 3 years and could still get out there and display such accuracy and poise at the tail end of a game he didn’t even start but was thrust into.  When they kept saying that his surgeon’s goals for McKenzie were just to save his leg and for him to walk without pain, I was astounded to see him moving like he was.  I wonder if playing is painful for him:  I hope not.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Like 3

This Oregon score is too good to be true, which means THE Ohio State U will end up winning.

1 hour ago, twoods said:

This Oregon score is too good to be true, which means THE Ohio State U will end up winning.

Nope.  And even if we did, there’s no way we’d beat Penn State.  Not with their defense.

I knew this would be a down year.  I’m only bummed because we may end up losing to nasty Harbaugh.