Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, dmeets said:

At this point screw conferences. Might as well just form two leagues (ACC/SEC on one side and Big10/Pac12 on the other and split the rest) and the champions meet in a Super Bowl. Winner gets Notre Dame or something.

Probably the best shot Kelly has in terms of winning a Natty.  Assuming Alabama & Clemson both get picked off!

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Probably the best shot Kelly has in terms of winning a Natty.  Assuming Alabama & Clemson both get picked off!

Haha, that was my clumsy way of trying to say that instead of a trophy, winner gets Notre Dame as a prize to join their megaconference (since conferences will never stop courting them and the Big Ten has apparently never read He's Just Not That Into You). I imagine right now Notre Dame is sitting back eating this up! And hey maybe while ESPN has been devilishly scheming to decimate the Big 12, NBC is trying to finagle an automatic championship game for ND every year!

• LOL 2
On 7/20/2021 at 4:55 PM, xaxat said:

Secondly, it's none of your business announcing someone's private business deals.

It would be published in the Wall Street Journal and FORBES regardless of whether it was formally announced.  Better to have the correct figures out there and use it as a recruiting tool. 

On 8/3/2021 at 6:19 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

It would be published in the Wall Street Journal and FORBES regardless of whether it was formally announced.  Better to have the correct figures out there and use it as a recruiting tool. 

It wasn't formally announced. That's my whole point. Saban blurted out the kid's private business in order to put money in his pocket. It had nothing to do with assisting his player.

And if the media wanted to do a story on the NIL deals for that player, they would have to go to the player, giving him agency over his info.

But Saban didn't care about any of that.

• Love 1

Aww I feel badly for my mom if this nonsense about Notre Dame exclusively on Peacock is accurate.  She’s an 80 year old longtime Notre Dame fan with cable only - no internet, no system like PlayStation, and a daughter who lives with her with a smart phone that gets coverage every few minutes or so.  What a bummer.

Edited by mojoween
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Aww I feel badly for my mom if this nonsense about Notre Dame exclusively on Peacock is accurate.  She’s an 80 year old longtime Notre Dame fan with cable only - no internet, no system like PlayStation, and a daughter who lives with her with a smart phone that gets coverage every few minutes or so.  What a bummer.

Damn it, you're making me feel sorry for a Notre Dame fan. I'll never forgive you for this.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

If her cable is with Comcast, she might be able to get it without having to do much of anything other than learn to say "Peacock" into her remote.  

On 8/6/2021 at 5:56 PM, ebk57 said:

If her cable is with Comcast, she might be able to get it without having to do much of anything other than learn to say "Peacock" into her remote.  

The game will be on the Peacock premium tier. If her mom doesn't have internet that's a tough one.

It's only one game in this case, but ESPN has already moved a bunch of games to ESPN+. Don't be surprised if even more games move exclusively to streaming. 

I dont understand what the acc big ten pac ten alliance does or accomplishes. 

I'm not sure they understand it either.

Ive read about it all very vague. 

But it does accomplish putting off football playoff expansion. Hurray. Good job. 

Also one article on espn mentions '...whether there is another way forward that hold truer to the historic view of amateurism' in regard to the emerging NIL plans.  

great.......sounds like a wonderful idea

Just hand all the great players to the sec. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I dont understand what the acc big ten pac ten alliance does or accomplishes. 

I'm not sure they understand it either

They are doing it to educate the kids!

"I do think that there are conferences out there that could bring value from a monetary standpoint, particularly, speaking about our television contract and our television revenues," Barbour said. "... The Big Ten really prides itself on being more than just an athletics conference, in terms of our provosts get together, we share some library resources, some other academic resources."

You can tell he doesn't believe it.  He barely even tried to make an academic case. But I guess it's a reflex now?

That's also not how universities work. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

They are doing it to educate the kids!

You can tell he doesn't believe it.  He barely even tried to make an academic case. But I guess it's a reflex now?

That's also not how universities work. 

Yeah that's pretty weak. 

Best I can figure it's basically a war between the sec and the other power conferences.  

And the NCAA is being squeezed out entirely.  Which may be a good thing. 

But the non sec power schools really don't seem to have an actual plan on how to fight back against the sec.  They just think they have to come together and come up with something. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
2 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I’m confused. How does this alliance stop the playoff expansion?

It doesn't stop it but from what I read the new 'alliance' will push to put off playoff expansion for about 4 years.....

Or longer.  

But its all very vague.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/short-on-details-but-long-on-philosophy-alliance-of-big-ten-acc-pac-12-sends-message-to-sec-back-off/amp/

Edited by DrSpaceman73
19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It doesn't stop it but from what I read the new 'alliance' will push to put off playoff expansion for about 4 years.....

Or longer.  

But its all very vague.  

I suspect a large part of it is because commissioners know they can't trust each other.

That guy you are trying to negotiate with over the playoffs may well be trying to poach teams from you behind your back;.

That Georgia v Clemson game was a snooze fest.  But even tho I’m no Georgia fan, it was great seeing cheating Dabo lose.  Esp when he has a player clothesline an opponent.  Cause dirty plays are becoming a regular thing w/his teams.

• Love 2

Even though FSU lost night, it was a remarkable completion of a personal comeback by McKenzie Milton. You could tell that the announcers were just in awe. It was amazing that Milton hadn’t played a competitive game in nearly 3 years and could still get out there and display such accuracy and poise at the tail end of a game he didn’t even start but was thrust into.  When they kept saying that his surgeon’s goals for McKenzie were just to save his leg and for him to walk without pain, I was astounded to see him moving like he was.  I wonder if playing is painful for him:  I hope not.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, twoods said:

This Oregon score is too good to be true, which means THE Ohio State U will end up winning.

Nope.  And even if we did, there’s no way we’d beat Penn State.  Not with their defense.

I knew this would be a down year.  I’m only bummed because we may end up losing to nasty Harbaugh.

It's pretty damn rare for me to cheer for an Oregon victory, but seeing them upset Ohio St. was a thing of beauty.  The Buckeyes were two TD favorites, and never even led the game.  Glorious.

This is my first weekend of college football, having somehow managed to completely forget last weekend that the season was starting.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

I know it's only game two, but there's a notable part of me that hopes for a shitty enough Trojans season - my weekly blood pressure spike be damned - for USC to finally fire Clay Helton. 

The players and outside circumstances have changed from year to year during his tenure, and the teams generally manage to be okay, but the same fundamental problems - penalties, timid play calling, an inability to rebound, and questionable reliability of key players - crop up every year, relegating them to just okay.  Those problems are all directly tied to coaching, and okay is not enough for this team.

Even the butterfingers problem can be laid at Helton's feet, given how often it plagues both QBs and receivers; once again, he's not instilling the discipline that leads to self correction.

He's been on the hot seat since he got the job as a dubious choice, and I did the well, let's see routine at first and then the well, ADs know more than me, but we seem to be backing a losing horse for unknown reasons kicked in, and then I wanted him gone.  He keeps failing to course correct, causing at least one key division loss and at least one totally bizarre loss to an wildly inferior team each season, and I'm fed up.

So, again, it's early, and we may wind up with another respectable finish in the grand scheme of college football, but not one befitting the program.  That has well and truly stopped being okay.  Basically, I'm where Keyshawn has finally arrived:

• Love 1
5 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

If only Iowa had an offense that was decent to go with that amazing defense. We would be a top team but since we don't I'm taking the two wins against ranked teams and enjoy it while it lasts. 

Maybe the offense will find a rhythm. I love defense so it was a terrific game yesterday. 

• Love 1

Clemson has a total of 17 pts in two games.   HAHAHAHA!

Looks like Mel Tucker might actually be the right man for the MI St job aft all.  Good on him.

How long before Luke Fickell gives in to the lure of a Power 5 team?

Who gets fired first, Clay or Manny?

Good on FL for giving AL a run for their money.

The PA St/AU refs need to be fired.

Guess Spenser Rattler ain’t all that and a bag of chips.

Damn, I think we’re finally going to lose to TTUN this year.  Our Defense sucks big time, and that’s embarrassing coming from a (normally) defensive power house team like tOSU.  I don’t mind TTUN winning once every 10 years, but not to old Khaki Pants.

• Love 1

So now USC has a QB question for an interim head coach to answer.  After a rough start, Jaxson Dart had a first game for the ages, and as a true freshman no less - skill, yes, but also energy and confidence.  His "swagger" has been talked about so much it's irritating, but the plain truth is the entire team played better after he went in.  Hopefully Slovis's injury necessitates another week on the bench while USC faces a better division opponent, giving Dart a second game to see if the first was a fluke without Williams having to choose to start him.

1 hour ago, Popples said:

That's a really impressive turnaround, less than 40 hours. 

I don't normally complain about officiating. People make mistakes. But that SEC crew on the Auburn/Penn State game was terrible. And that's from a Pitt fan who really dislikes Penn State.

• Love 4

YES! YES YES YES YES YES

I used to live right down the street from NC State, so even tho we’re recent transplants to NC, we started rooting for the Wolf Pack.

But Hell, I would’ve rooted for TTUN as long as cheating Dabo was defeated, but it was great to see another ACC team do it.

I’m so happy, but watch the AP still leave them in the top 15 in ranking.

• Love 2