Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

On 12/6/2021 at 4:34 AM, mojoween said:

“The rat poison you put out for us this week was yummy” may have the record for the most surreal thing I have ever heard a college coach say.

He's always talked about "rat poison," but this is the first time we've heard him say "yummy!"  Seriously though, it wasn't just the media with their hype about Georgia.  The Auburn fans had plenty to say too, such as, "Georgia's going to kick your butts!"  We heard that over and over last week.  I work in a dental office, and I heard it many times from my patients.  The rivalry down is here is for real ya'll!  ;)  

I look forward to Bama playing a team outside of the SEC.  We're all very familiar with the teams we already play, but to have a team from another conference will be good for a change.  I'm not familiar with their particular style of play, so I look forward to the match-up.  I think it'll be a good day of football!  Congrats to all 4 teams for getting into the play-offs.  

• Love 2

I can't say I feel too badly about the way Manny Diaz was treated.  This is the same guy who left the Temple job two weeks after accepting it to go to Miami.  Don't get me wrong, just about any football coach would have made that move even without Diaz's personal ties to Miami.  But Diaz treated Temple and its players poorly and now he has been treated poorly in return by Miami.  What goes around comes around. 

• Love 5

Grass is green. In other news, Bryce Young is the 2021 Heisman Trophy Winner. Plus, my pick of Army over Navy is not a spoiler, but just a prediction since they have to play the game. Navy ATS though; I think they can keep it close.

Kenny Pickett was a glorified dream to win it this year.  Got pimped somewhat, while Alabama was struggling.  He actually was putting up great numbers, but Young actually did well.  Yeah, I guess Mac Jones played better last year, but when Adams wasn't available for Bryce, you'd have to factor all of that IMO.  Didn't help that PITT played opposite the Big 10 title game

Haven’t posted on this forum but I’m a Georgia Bulldog (grad school) and we just sucked against Alabama. No excuse. Georgia easily tromped teams Bama struggled against (Florida, Tennessee, Auburn - 4 OTs with a limping backup quarterback). 

I really thought that Georgia would finally beat Alabama - which is apparently our kryptonite. As my brother-in-law texted us, if you don’t beat Bama in the SEC championship you never will. 

My notes and thoughts on the CFP playoffs:

1. I am hoping the Michigan /Georgia will be a down to the wire nail biter that the Georgia/Alabama should have been.(Of course I want Georgia to win in the end)

2. I have lots of respect for Michigan. Sadly, my brother in law is an Ohio State fan, so I pretend to root for them 🤣 but their insistence on calling themselves THE Ohio State University ….

3. I am so glad Cincinnati is in the playoffs. A non “power 5”  who earned their spot and the committee recognized it.

4. I hope Cincinnati acquits themselves well against Alabama.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

I really thought that Georgia would finally beat Alabama - which is apparently our kryptonite.

Bama was to Georgia what Texas A&M was to Bama.  It happens.  As the saying goes, any team can be beaten on any given day.  That's why I take nothing for granted when it comes to football.  I have no doubt that Georgia will come out swinging in their playoff game!   Both matchups should be interesting.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Bama was to Georgia what Texas A&M was to Bama.  It happens.  As the saying goes, any team can be beaten on any given day.  That's why I take nothing for granted when it comes to football.  I have no doubt that Georgia will come out swinging in their playoff game!   Both matchups should be interesting.  

I so agree and one of the reasons I love college football…..

• Love 2

This has been a very strange college football season. Bama started in first, slipped down to fourth (or were they fifth for one week?) and managed to pull themselves together to beat Georgia - who had been first for weeks.  Whoda Thunk it?  And all the coaches playing musical teams before the season was over. . . . and all the athletes entering the portal? 

I'm just thrilled Bryce Young won the Heisman. So deserved. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, estellasmum said:

I love how Travis' decision has made many people who provide commentary on college football tell on themselves. People have the nerve to complain about his decision saying shit like, "oh, so now we're at the point where you can pay players to attend your school" as if PWI haven't been doing this shit under the table since the beginning of time. It's now a problem because a HBCU is doing it. Obvious racial bias is obvious. 

ETA: Why is it okay for coaches to leave for money, but somehow the athletes are in the wrong for considering NIL deals in their decision making?

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 12
On 12/23/2021 at 11:09 PM, Popples said:

Ok so first I thought this was the Easy Peasy Bowl and was disappointed when I read it again.  Second, ESPN sounds like a bunch of assholes in this statement, no?  Didn’t Hawaii drop out due to COVID?

29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Second, ESPN sounds like a bunch of assholes in this statement, no?  Didn’t Hawaii drop out due to COVID?

I haven't looked into it, but the university was in discussions with ESPN and Bowl staff throughout the week and then pulled out less than 24 hours before game time; unlike with Texas A&M pulling out of the Gator Bowl for similar personnel reasons, there wasn't time to invite another team, meaning the game was canceled and ESPN had no Christmas Eve game.

And, yeah, pretty salty.  Contrast the tone of the ESPN statement with what Hawai'i and Memphis put out:

"The health and safety of our student-athletes is the most important part of this decision," Hawai'i athletic director David Matlin said in a statement. "The recent surge in COVID-19 cases has forced us to not participate in the game. "We are disappointed for our players, coaches, and fans. ESPN and the EasyPost Hawai'i Bowl staff did everything they could for us and we appreciate their valiant effort throughout the week. We want to thank the Memphis Tigers for making the long trip to Hawai'i. We are disappointed we can't compete on the football field."

Memphis coach Ryan Silverfield expressed disappointment as well.

"We hope that Hawai'i players and staff get healthy soon," he said in a statement. "I'm upset for our seniors and the rest of the team that battled this season to earn this opportunity. We've had [a] terrific time here in Hawai'i as a program and we are sad our trip ended this way."

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ok so first I thought this was the Easy Peasy Bowl and was disappointed when I read it again.  Second, ESPN sounds like a bunch of assholes in this statement, no?  Didn’t Hawaii drop out due to COVID?

They do sound like a bunch of assholes. However, I think maybe they made that statement because sponsors and people with lots to lose were pissed at it being so short of notice.

At least Texas A&M gave enough notice so that they could find a replacement team. 
Then there is UCLA who gave 4 hours notice, which I don’t understand I thought they were tested at least the day before.

The most important thing is taking the proper cautions to keep everyone safe. 

Edited by Stats Queen
Clarity
  • Love 4

I like to come in annually with a spicy take on a bowl game.  So here is mine for this year.  I love mayo whole-heartedly.  There can never be enough on a sandwich.  My mom and I even used to joke about creating a mayo cookbook to embrace more use of mayo in dishes.  But that mayonnaise dunking looked absolutely vile.  They cut it with some water I would guess?  Mayonnaise doesn’t really flow like that.  I feel like that’s put me off mayo for a couple of weeks.  In the South Carolina coaching category, Coach Swinney really lucked out just getting doused with nice, dry Cheez Its after Clemson’s win last night.  

The crowd (and the winning Clemson team) got what looked like Cheez It-shaped hats made of felt last night.  I spent a couple minutes online seeing if I could purchase one, but I guess that is an ephemeral piece of merchandise best left to Clemson’s win.  Glad they could end their very tough season positively. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The Purdue vs. Tennessee game(Music City Bowl) was a super exciting one.  It kept going back & forth & went into over-time.   Our daughter is a Purdue alum, so we were rooting for the Boilers!  Boiler Up!

By far my favorite game so far. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The Purdue vs. Tennessee game(Music City Bowl) was a super exciting one.  It kept going back & forth & went into over-time.   Our daughter is a Purdue alum, so we were rooting for the Boilers!  Boiler Up!

Tennessee and SEC fans felt the Vols got jobbed by the refs.  Purdue and B1G fans felt all was fine and dandy.  

I was taking down decorations and left the room with the score 38-38, it felt like I was only gone for a minute and when I came back it was 45-45.  Close games are the best.

In the semi finals, it feels like only Bama alums are rooting for the Tide, so this game is a bummer.  Cincy shouldn’t feel badly though.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Close games are the best.

I get too anxious with close games.   I like a competitive game, but one with a comfortable lead for my team!  

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

In the semi finals, it feels like only Bama alums are rooting for the Tide, so this game is a bummer.  Cincy shouldn’t feel badly though.

Cincinnati fought a tough game.  Congrats on all they accomplished.  However, the guy who ripped off the Bama player's helmet (and I'm sure I saw him punch him too) should've been ejected.   Roll Tide.  

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Well, I won't be watching the final. Ugh. 

If somehow TTUN manages to win this game (please God, NO), I will root for Bama.

NOTHING could ever induce me to root for TTUN and esp old Khaki Pants.

2 minutes ago, roamyn said:

If somehow TTUN manages to win this game (please God, NO), I will root for Bama.

NOTHING could ever induce me to root for TTUN and esp old Khaki Pants.

Not a snowball's chance in hell that Michigan comes back. They look horrible. 

Can't root for Georgia or Bama (hate the $EC), so I'll find something else to watch on the 10th. 

• Love 3

I think Bama's win against Georgia lit a fire in them!  Given all of the hype, I really expected more from Michigan.  I don't usually see many teams outside of the SEC, so I didn't know what to expect from them, but they seemed so fired up for this game.  Unfortunately for them, Georgia is pissed about their loss, so they're really fired up. 

As a Bama fan, I really don't want to see a repeat of Bama vs. Georgia, but it's looking like that's what is going to happen.  It will be a tough game, no doubt.  

I know that there will be a lot of people outside of the SEC who won't watch the game, and I get that, but it will be huge in this area.  I hope that some of our guys who are injured will be okay for the big game.  Seems like we've lost one or two players almost every game.  Now mix in Covid, and who knows what will happen.  I'm just glad that the Bama players decided to stay in their hotel all week and not go out and party so as to try and stay healthy.  That shows a lot of maturity for such young guys.   

• Love 4

Well, well, well. We meet again, bulldogs.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Honestly, I know that this is the fourth time that they’re meeting, but what the hell are either of these teams or the CFP committee supposed to do? Pick undeserving teams because “people are tired of seeing the same teams in the playoffs?” Should Alabama and Georgia throw a game to let other teams have a chance to make the playoffs? If people are so mad about another GA/Bama showdown, then may I suggest other teams work on themselves? Cause that ain’t got nothing to do with us.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I think Bama's win against Georgia lit a fire in them!  Given all of the hype, I really expected more from Michigan.  I don't usually see many teams outside of the SEC, so I didn't know what to expect from them, but they seemed so fired up for this game.  Unfortunately for them, Georgia is pissed about their loss, so they're really fired up. 

As a Bama fan, I really don't want to see a repeat of Bama vs. Georgia, but it's looking like that's what is going to happen.  It will be a tough game, no doubt.  

I know that there will be a lot of people outside of the SEC who won't watch the game, and I get that, but it will be huge in this area.  I hope that some of our guys who are injured will be okay for the big game.  Seems like we've lost one or two players almost every game.  Now mix in Covid, and who knows what will happen.  I'm just glad that the Bama players decided to stay in their hotel all week and not go out and party so as to try and stay healthy.  That shows a lot of maturity for such young guys.   

TTUN blew it when they beat us this year.  It looks like that was their goal, while we (tOSU) were too complacent.  We would’ve given GA more of a challenge.  Heck even Cinci played better against AL.

ETA I mean TTUN blew their wad of plays and energy

1 minute ago, PepSinger said:

Well, well, well. We meet again, bulldogs.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Honestly, I know that this is the fourth time that they’re meeting, but what the hell are either of these teams or the CFP committee supposed to do? Pick undeserving teams because “people are tired of seeing the same teams repeatedly in the playoffs?” Should Alabama and Georgia throw a game to let other teams have a chance to make the playoffs? If people are so made about another GA/Bama showdown, then may I suggest other teams work on themselves? Cause that ain’t got nothing to do with us.

It doesn’t bother me.  Yes, I’d rather have Cinci or tOSU, but I firmly believe this is Georgia’s year.  I hope they learned something from the title game so they can crush AL.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Yes, I’d rather have Cinci or tOSU, but I firmly believe this is Georgia’s year.

image.png.4958ef08a96174ec480a1cfe1a59b50c.png 

Hope agrees with you (maybe).

Edited by Crs97
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, roamyn said:

As a Georgia Bulldog I don’t want to see a repeat of Bama vs.Georgia because Bama is our kryptonite.

• LOL 3