Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, twoods said:

Clemson better not be in the playoffs with two losses.

At this point they would be lucky to escape the season with only two losses.

This season has been surprisingly competitive. I like it.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, Popples said:

The craziest thing for me yesterday was Ohio State's LB quitting in the middle of the game.

I went to read more about this story and found a writer for USA Today throwing some hilarious shade.

In a pair of since-deleted tweets, Pope later wrote during the second quarter, “good lucc (sic) to my teammates” and “f-- ohio state," misspelling the obscenity. 

• Love 5

I’ve got a circle of family and friends who are fanatical Clemson fans, and I’m a fan by osmosis, so yesterday was obviously pretty rough.

I will say that aside from the dreadful game from a Clemson perspective, I was very impressed with RG3’s color commentating abilities at that game.  I hadn’t followed that he had gone into announcing this year, and when I was first listening to the game, I assumed that I was hearing someone who had done it for years:  he was smooth, astute and entertaining. I really liked him.

• Love 3

Tennessee has announced that they have canceled their scheduled home game with Army next September.  Instead, they're going to play a safer game with Akron.

On the weekend that the Congressional Medal of Honor recipients will be having a convention in Knoxville, where they were expected to be honored at the Army game.  Now the Tennessee-Akron game will be an optional game for the convention attendees.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, roamyn said:

Congratulations to the Cincinnati Bearcats!  If they’re not in the top 5, I would be pissed.

IMO Georgia should be #1.  That was an impressive win today.

If it's anyone other than Alabama, then they'd be Number 1 with that performance.  While then reigning National Champions Florida was briefly bumped off for Alabama 12 years ago at the top spot, I can't see that happening to the Tide.  Since their close loss to eventual 2019 champions LSU, their only blemish was a 3-point defeat at Jordan Haire, six years removed from a more painful loss for the Crimson Tide.  The difference the second time around was Alabama wasn't defending champions, and they had nothing to play for.

It's possible Georgia gets the top spot, but not probable.  If they keep winning, they'll be able to get the top spot by beating the team that holds it.

Fortunately, Cincy did get into the Top 5, so whew!

Meanwhile, Oregon fell.  Maybe they sorta got jobbed, but they kinda jobben themselves, along with their conference.  Out of the Top 5 they go,  five spot down to #8.  There are no more undefeated Pac-12 teams.  Looks like they'll be left out of the meaningful postseason again (save for the Rose Bowl maybe).  Fortunately, the ACC is down, and Notre Dame lost to Cincinnati.  Speaking of the Bearcats (which would offset the Pac-12 chances if they won out), I think this might be the year that a non Power Five team makes it into the CFB Playoff.  That's only if they'll win.

It is possible that teams (like Michigan, MSU, and Oklahoma State) could jump Cincy.  The good news for the Bearcats is that they will move into the top four thanks to the result of the Penn State / Iowa game.  The only way I'd be wrong with that statement is if Michigan pounded Nebraska enough to surge to the Top 3 or Top 4.  On the other hand, I'd still be correct with that coupled with a Aggies win and/or an Auburn Tigers victory

50 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Texas/Oklahoma was an incredibly entertaining game.

A much as I don’t like seeing OK win, I was more than happy w/that Spencer Rattler benching.  He hasn’t lived up to his hype neither this year or last.  He might be even worse this year.

Another falling QB is T Taglaiavoa (I can never remember his first name).  He’s stunk the last two games.

whew!  That AK v Ole Miss game was all offense, no defense.  Whoever scored last before time ran out was going to win.

Can’t wait to see who pulls it out in IA.  I’m hoping the Hawkeyes win.

• Love 1

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  Suck it Bama!

it really feels like it might be the changing of 5he old guard this season.  With tOSU, PA St, AL, Clemson all losing, and IA, MI St, Cinci, A&M all up and comers.

OK is still mediocrity, and GA is a machine still.

My ranking is GA, IA, AL, Cinci, OK, tOSU, MI, PA, KY, MI St

• Love 2

Alabama falls.  It probably will not mean anything if they win out.  No different than their position in 2014, 2015, and 2017.  BTW, I had to disagree elsewhere with people saying it was the biggest upset of the Millennium.  I'll agree it's the biggest upset of 2021, but it's not Top 5 if we're counting the past 20 years.  To be honest, it's not even the biggest upset in it's own sport, and I only need to go back 15 years!

Anyway, Georgia will finally get it's Top ranking.  While it could be a jinx, no one has come close to knocking them off.  At the end of the day, IMO, unless Bama gets back to where they can do it, I think the team that will whack the Bulldogs will come from the Big Ten.  It's early October, but as mentioned, this might have been the best day of college football in a very long time.  I hate to say it, but last year was what it was, and that might have aided it.  Despite 2020, it would've been a day full of instant classics.  Penn State crumbing annually, and after Texas said NO THANKS to winning coupled with a 21-point lead against its biggest rival 

It's official.  For the first time in nearly four decades: Georgia is in the top spot.  Everyone agrees that it's the correct spot.  A unanimous decision.  They're followed by Iowa, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, and Alabama.  While the former owner of the top spot lost at the buzzer to an unranked team, the reigning champions likely still control its own destiny.  BTW, the team that gave them their first loss since 2019 did so in the only week they were unranked.  IIRC, Texas A&M was actually 26th.

• Love 1

LOL!  Why not?  It's a Saturday night and she's reporting on fucking leaf colors.  You go ahead, Aggie woman.

I don't think I've ever even rooted for them strategically (e.g. if their victory would benefit OU) in my life, but against that walking turd Nick Saban?  Gig 'em.

• Love 6

Georgia absolutely deserves its top ranking, and I say that as an Alabama fan. Well done. I have nothing against Kirby Smart. 

Saban needs to fire our DC. He’s done enough damage to our defense during his tenure. He can exit stage left. Blitzing all night WHEN IT WAS NOT WORKING??? 

The play calling throughout the game was abysmal, particularly when we’re on the 3 yard line on a 1st and goal, and the OC CHOOSES TO PASS each time. What in the absolute fuck? That sound you heard at the moment it happened was a collective of Alabama fans —and even former players— yelling “WTF?!” Run. The Ball. The run game was good, so why did we abandon it? I’m almost at the point of calling for the OC to be gone, too. Play calling this season hasn’t been right. It’s not too late to right this ship, though. Unless we shit the bed again, I suspect we will see Georgia on Dec. 4.

Boy was I fucking mad Saturday night. As my grandfather always says, “You can’t expect to win when you don’t play well.” Prime example. I’m no fair weather fan, so Roll Tide anyway.

17 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Georgia absolutely deserves its top ranking, and I say that as an Alabama fan.

I'm a Bama fan too, and I also agree with them being ranked #1.  I don't like Kirby though.  He reportedly did some sketchy stuff while leaving Bama, so I don't respect that.  Let them have the onus of being #1.   I would prefer not to start the season at #1 because of all of the media generated hype.  A team needs some time to prove themselves.   

Saban said a few things in his pre-season press conferences that concerned me about some of our players.  Not sure that some of them are as mentally mature as they should be.  Just something others I have talked to feel too.    Hopefully they'll all learn from that beat down and come back stronger.  Saban won't let this loss go to waste as far as a teaching moment.   He never does!  ;)   

At least we don't have to keep hearing how no previous coach of his has beaten him yet.  Mr. Chat & I are sick of hearing that same line over and over again.  That's not what is important to Saban anyway.  Roll Tide!!   

• Love 1

I don't know a single Iowa fan who thinks we should be #2 but we're rolling with it while waiting for our annual loss to Purdue🤣

Our defense and special teams are amazing while our offense is...well...not.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • LOL 6

It looks like the final line is going to be Georgia -21.5 with an O/U of 44.5.

I was thinking Kentucky ATS as well, but I think I’m going to settle with Bulldogs.  It’s a last-minute change.  Not an easy decision either since the new pressure coupled with the fact that it’s Georgia would lead me toward the Wildcats.

Thinking it’ll be a 34-10 final score which could produce a bad beat.

Could be a nice parlay for all of that and a Dodgers win (which is my pick for the NL winner), but I’ll pass on that today

On 10/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, galaxygirl76 said:

I don't know a single Iowa fan who thinks we should be #2 but we're rolling with it while waiting for our annual loss to Purdue🤣

Our defense and special teams are amazing while our offense is...well...not.

Dayum I hope you played the lottery today.

• LOL 5
On 10/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, ChitChat said:

At least we don't have to keep hearing how no previous coach of his has beaten him yet.  Mr. Chat & I are sick of hearing that same line over and over again.  That's not what is important to Saban anyway.  Roll Tide!!   

Maybe the lost was a blessing in disguise because I was also sick and tired of hearing that.

Also, RMFT! Welcome back, Tide! 49-9! Sorry MSST, but we required a blood sacrifice after last week.

• LOL 1

How was Tennessee not hit with a delay of game penalty, when their fans throwing trash on the field caused a 20-minute delay in the game? Also, who the hell brought golf balls and a bottle of mustard to a football game? There has to be a massive fine coming for them.

I've never felt one way or another about Tennessee, but now I find them to be an abhorrent fanbase.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Popples said:

How was Tennessee not hit with a delay of game penalty, when their fans throwing trash on the field caused a 20-minute delay in the game? Also, who the hell brought golf balls and a bottle of mustard to a football game? There has to be a massive fine coming for them.

I've never felt one way or another about Tennessee, but now I find them to be an abhorrent fanbase.

They are mean, low down, and dirty. They snitches.

ETA: on a serious note, they are THE WORST. Stay klassy, volunteers!

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Popples said:

That was pretty embarrassing.  If Bama fans had done that (but we wouldn't), the entire Bama nation would've gotten an ass chewing from Saban, much like we did when he called out fans and students for leaving games early.   We've got the fear in us!  :)  

As far as the play that brought than on by Tennessee fans, was it a blown call?  I didn't see the game, just some quick highlights.  

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Darn you Tennessee fans! Making me feel sympathy for Lane Kiffin!

Either Lane was rattled by the commotion or he was stoned!  He seemed a little out of it when they were interviewing him after the game!  Seriously, I think he just takes it all in stride.  His Dad, Monte, was one of our favorite coaches with the Bucs back in the day.   Lane is quite the character compared to his more mellow Dad.  

• Love 1

The Ed Ogeron stuff is wild; he seemed to fall apart after his divorce. He lost track of who he was’: Inside Ed Orgeron’s fall from celebrated son of Louisiana to LSU coaching pariah

There was the infamous 2020 photo of him in bed with a woman, among other photos made public. Multiple sources said he brought women around the LSU football operations building. It all took place as his decision-making and coaching performance declined.

“It was just a distraction,” one LSU player said. “In 2019, there was no, ‘What’s Coach O doing postgame or Sunday during the day? Is he laying by the pool with a lady?’ He was planning events other than football.”

It created messes for him, like the time Orgeron pulled up to a woman at a gas station wearing exercise attire. “Hey, you look like you work out,” he said, according to multiple sources. “We could work out together.” The woman informed Orgeron she was married and pregnant, to which he responded, “Why does that matter?” That woman was the wife of a high-ranking LSU official.

Word of this reached the LSU Board of Supervisors, the collection of prominent Louisiana attorneys and business owners appointed by the governor who make the most important decisions at LSU. And of course, it reached LSU athletic director Scott Woodward.

43 minutes ago, Popples said:

The Ed Ogeron stuff is wild; he seemed to fall apart after his divorce. 

This is what happens when men think with their smaller head.  I've seen it happen in the workplace and have seen how those men devolved into complete idiots.  It can be a nightmare when it's your boss and you can see his bad decisions, but he doesn't.   And the older men and much younger women: Just ick.  "But she's in love with me."  Sure.  You keep right on believing that.  ;)   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, woodstock said:

Rolovich suing over firing 

Seems like tensions were brewing before the vaccine mandate. This could get interesting.

Except his religious exemption demand request is bullshit since the Catholic church has come out in favor of getting the COVID vaccine and Pope Francis himself has urged people to get it, so I can't imagine this won't be thrown out.  Choices have consequences, Dick Nick.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Except his religious exemption demand request is bullshit since the Catholic church has come out in favor of getting the COVID vaccine and Pope Francis himself has urged people to get it, so I can't imagine this won't be thrown out.  Choices have consequences, Dick Nick.

Maybe he doesn't agree with the Pope.  His body, his choice.  

37 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Maybe he doesn't agree with the Pope.  His body, his choice.  

Sure, but two things about that:

1. He doesn't get to claim a religious exemption for that choice when his religion is advocating the opposite choice.

2. If he's going to make a choice knowing that choice goes against a statewide mandate, he's choosing to give up his job.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

1. He doesn't get to claim a religious exemption for that choice when his religion is advocating the opposite choice.

It's possible that the Catholic faith isn't all that defines him.  Maybe he has convictions that go beyond the Catholic church.   However, I'm sure that many people taking a religious exemption are just using it for an excuse, but it's not for me to judge.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  He doesn't want the vaccine.  He's trying to use the out that is available, and I don't blame him or other people for that.  

27 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

2. If he's going to make a choice knowing that choice goes against a statewide mandate, he's choosing to give up his job.

Again, his body, his choice.  He's choosing to take a stand for what he believes is right for him, and he's willing to sacrifice his job for it.