Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

So the committee chair Gary Barta said that Michigan deserves to be ranked higher than MSU because they think they are the better team. If only they had played each other recently to see who is the better team..

So to recap, Oregon is ranked higher than OSU because they beat them in week 2. Michigan is ranked higher than MSU because they lost to them last week.

tl;dr Committee is still drunk.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

So the committee chair Gary Barta said that Michigan deserves to be ranked higher than MSU because they think they are the better team. If only they had played each other recently to see who is the better team..

Translation: "We think Michigan would be a more profitable team to include than Michigan State, so we'd like for Michigan to be the B1G backup to Ohio State."

• Love 5
20 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Don’t mind me, I’m just here still trying to figure out why the fuck OSU is in the top four. 

Because CFB rules state OSU has to be ranked in the top 4 unless they have at least 3 losses. I thought everyone knew that?

Edited by wknt3
  • LOL 7
On 11/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, PepSinger said:

Don’t mind me, I’m just here still trying to figure out why the fuck OSU is in the top four. 

EXCUSE ME?!!!

So you think an OR team that lost to Stanford is better than tOSU?  Why the F is AL in the top form then?  They lost to a then unranked A&M team.

Who the f else would you put there?  I think Cincinnati Should be #4, tOSU #2 , #4 OR.

This cat was on ESPN taking about Oklahoma/Baylor and said “Oklahoma certainly hasn’t lived up to expectations this year.  They are undefeated but…”

But?  But what?  But NOTHING.  The expectation for every game should be to win, period full stop.  It shouldn’t matter if you win by 70 or 7 because “style points” are horseshit.

Your goal should be to win every game in front of you, not humiliate your opponent.  College football is dumb.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

So you think an OR team that lost to Stanford is better than tOSU?  Why the F is AL in the top form then?  They lost to a then unranked A&M team.

1) I haven’t seen Oregon play, so I cannot genuinely answer that question. However, since they beat OSU, there’s no way they can be ranked below them, which is why I think their (OSU) ranking is too high.

2) IMO, it’s disingenuous to compare AP/Coaches Poll rankings with the CFP rankings. Once the CFP rankings come out, those polls no longer matter. You either have to look at AP/Coaches poll rankings or the CFP rankings. You can’t mix the two

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Who the f else would you put there

Cincinnati 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, roamyn said:

So you think an OR team that lost to Stanford is better than tOSU?

They're both one-loss teams, and we have tangible proof from their game on 9/11 that Oregon is better than OSU.

5 hours ago, PepSinger said:

2) IMO, it’s disingenuous to compare AP/Coaches Poll rankings with the CFP rankings. Once the CFP rankings come out, those polls no longer matter. You either have to look at AP/Coaches poll rankings or the CFP rankings. You can’t mix the two

The CFP rankings are very, very, very manipulatable and biased, though.  I mean, look at the horseshit Gary Barta was spewing to justify ranking Michigan above Michigan State – and that's just one example.  I agree with you that Cincinnati should be in the top four, but the committee will do everything in its power to prevent that from happening.

Ultimately, these are intended to ensure that as much revenue as possible is generated by the playoffs, which means arranging the rankings so that specific teams are guaranteed to make it and specific teams are guaranteed not to make it.  The committee pretends that it's not about money, and that's my biggest issue.  If the committee just said, "We care first and foremost about generating as much revenue as possible and will prioritize the teams that we think will generate the most revenue," I'd have so much less of a problem with the whole endeavor because it would at least be honest.  It would still be shitty, but it wouldn't be a totally hypocritical charade.

Also, everything @mojoween posted.

I swear I hadn't read this article before I posted!

Edited by NUguy514
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

The expectation for every game should be to win, period full stop.  It shouldn’t matter if you win by 70 or 7 because “style points” are horseshit.

It's interesting that you say that because whenever Bama loses by a close margin, all of the analysts act like the team totally tanked and it's the end of the world!!  I hate when they don't give other teams any credit and the effort they put forth.  This is what Saban preaches to his players.  You've got to respect each and every opponent! 

I remember one year when we played Arkansas early in the season and they were supposed to be the ones who were going to trip up Bama.  The "experts" droned on about it for days about how tough of a game it would be.  Well, it turns out that Bama won pretty handily, then all the analysts could say in the coming weeks was how Bama hadn't played anybody yet!  It's frustrating listening to some of those analysts.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

The CFP rankings are very, very, very manipulatable and biased, though.  I mean, look at the horseshit Gary Barta was spewing to justify ranking Michigan above Michigan State – and that's just one example.  I agree with you that Cincinnati should be in the top four, but the committee will do everything in its power to prevent that from happening

I agree that MSU should be ranked above UM. However, I believe the reason they aren’t is that the last time they were in the playoffs they were scoreless against Bama. Should that play a factor in the rankings? No, but I’m not gonna sit here and pretend it isn’t.

I am all in favor of overhauling the system.

Edited by PepSinger
2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

The CFP rankings are very, very, very manipulatable and biased, though.

I think back to when whomever is in charge tries to make Notre Dame happen at the beginning of each season (no offense to those fans).  They've done it with other teams that shouldn't have been ranked in the top 10 at the beginning of a particular season.  I have no idea where they were ranked this season.  I'm talking in general terms of past seasons.  

It doesn't matter if we go to an 8-team, 12-team, 14-team, etc. playoff.   Teams will be left out and the argument of how big of a playoff system we should have will continue.   :)  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Thanks for ruining my narrative about you, Oklahoma.  Sheesh.

This was overdue.  They consistently had to come from behind to win, and first halves were always a struggle.

I wake up from my nap, and it’s already 42 puts for tOSU and it’s not even halftime%!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, roamyn said:

This was overdue.  They consistently had to come from behind to win, and first halves were always a struggle.

I wake up from my nap, and it’s already 42 puts for tOSU and it’s not even halftime%!

tOSU is now on top 52-17 midway through the third quarter.  They're playing Purdue who has wins against both Michigan and Michigan State this season.  Those are tOSU's next two opponents.  So, if Michigan State or Michigan beat tOSU but have both lost to Purdue who it appears will be trounced by tOSU; how do you manage the rankings?  People are up in arms that Michigan is ranked above Michigan State.  IMO, that's why it is not possible to claim that Oregon, who beat tOSU by 7 points two months ago is therefore a better team at this moment in time.  If that was the case, then set the rankings in stone after the first game of the season.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2021 at 4:48 AM, mojoween said:

Your goal should be to win every game in front of you, not humiliate your opponent.  College football is dumb.

Iowa won 8 games. 7 of those were ugly and several were very ugly but at the end of the day Ferentz got his bonus for winning 8.

Our new QB is doing a decent job, kid is actually throwing the ball at targets and doesn't look scared so that's definitely an improvement over the previous guy.

I'm pretty sure there will be riots if ND gets in over Cincy but I can see the polls gearing up for it.

• Love 1
On 11/15/2021 at 12:56 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm pretty sure there will be riots if ND gets in over Cincy but I can see the polls gearing up for it.

Same here.  Even though Notre Dame is a better draw, and probably beats Cincy 8 times out of 10, that would crush the Playoff Committee's reputation forever.  They'll be all calm & state that ND is the more complete team.  If that's the case, why play the games?  BTW, I will not be shocked if this were to occur; FWIW, if ND keeps winning I wouldn't be surprised if ND is ranked over Cincinnati in the penultimate rankings slated to be released on November 30.

Of course, it's a moot point if one or both of two things happen: Cincy loses or Georgia loses on December 4 while Alabama, Oregon, and Ohio State win out prior to and including the SEC Title Game, the Pac-12 Title Game, and the Big 10 Title Game, respectively.

I didn't forget Oklahoma State; I didn't mention them since I can't see them beating Oklahoma twice

• Love 1

The 3rd CFB Playoff Rankings remain the same within the Top Seven, with everyone in the Top 12 of last week's rankings moving up to replace Oklahoma & Texas A&M

Looks like I was unable to post a list that has just the Top 25, but you can get all of the info from the main site or Twitter account for the CFB Playoff

• Useful 3

The CFP committee right now: "$hit, now we have to put Cincinnati in the top four, don't we...UNLE$$!  We could tooooootally leapfrog Michigan over them!  Notre Dame, too!  That one might not go over well with the non-ND public, but who care$$$$?  Thi$ i$ completely fine, we don't have to put Cincy in the top four, we can work thi$ out!🤑🤑🤑"

• Love 7

It's basically official: Unless the Bearcats lose, the committee will include a non-Power Five team into the College Football Playoff.  On a related note, Georgia is more than a two possession favorite if the link to the rankings below are the final rankings

The Fourth College Football Playoff Rankings

Edited to add a much cleaner list compared to last week.  FYI: The latest rankings include Ohio State & Alabama swapping places, Baylor into the Top Ten, and Michigan State & Oregon falling from the Top 10.  To correspond, Ole Miss & Oklahoma slid into the Top X rankings, and Wake Forest slid out of it

Edited by Carey
  • Love 1

The Committee absolutely got it right.  Cinci’swinover ND looks better, they played a dominant game over SMU. tOSU’s win over MSU looked better than struggling AL did.  AL has looked vulnerable often this season. I expect them to drop out if they lose to GA in the SEC game.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

I expect them to drop out if they lose to GA in the SEC game.

That's a given.  A decisive win over Auburn would be helpful, but this is a rival game, so anything can happen!  It will be a good weekend of football with all of the rivalry games.  

• Love 3

Take a shot every time Saban says “aight” in this clip. For real, though, he is totally right. I am so sick of fans bitching when we don’t win a game by 30 or 40 points. Do they not remember the Mike years?!?! People who weren’t Alabama fans until 2007 just have no fucking idea. Those were dark times. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Do they not remember the Mike years?!?! People who weren’t Alabama fans until 2007 just have no fucking idea. Those were dark times. 

When fans of other teams hate on Bama, I tell them exactly that!  We had to go through some bad seasons too.  We're no strangers to loss.  And you're right about our own fans.  Sometimes they expect way too much, but sometimes the media acts like a game was a loss if they didn't win by a huge margin. 

The football analysts can be such dopes in how they word things when it comes to Bama football.   One moment the team is on a pedestal, then the next moment they have us "dead and buried."  That's why Saban is so cranky with the football reporters.  Some of them ask the dumbest questions.  At least he's been nicer to the female reporters on the sideline.  They don't deserve his wrath.  A few years ago he got a little snarky with one of the female reporters on the sideline and he ended up apologizing to her (rightfully so!)  I'm sure Ms. Terry had something to do with that.  ;)  

Years ago a reporter asked him why the team was practicing indoors for an upcoming National Championship game in New Orleans, well, anybody here can answer that!  Because it's a domed stadium!!  That reporter should've known that.  Needless to say, Saban gave him the stink eye!  It's those kinds of questions that annoy him.  

• Love 2

I haven’t seen how the question was worded, but fans have a right to question a team’s inconsistency, when something isn’t working right, or when coaches make poor decisions.  Reporters do, as well.

Now if they were just complaining abt scores, without the play behind the scores, then that’s just petty.

• Love 1

I tuned in the second half to see how, not if, Nebraska would blow their lead and I was not disappointed. Scott Frost got the dreaded vote of confidence, but I don't know if they can keep him for another season, because this is not the type of record you want to break.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, roamyn said:

Now if they were just complaining abt scores, without the play behind the scores, then that’s just petty.

Bless our hearts here in the South because college football can get very petty!!   The videos 'SEC Shorts' are pretty accurate.  Seriously though, most of us are fairly chill about our teams when out in public and at work, but at home we can be very intense when a game isn't going our way.  :)  

19 hours ago, Popples said:

I tuned in the second half to see how, not if, Nebraska would blow their lead and I was not disappointed. Scott Frost got the dreaded vote of confidence, but I don't know if they can keep him for another season, because this is not the type of record you want to break.

Ngl, I had given up on the game. We are not a team that comes from behind and wins. However as soon as that punt block happened you could feel everything change. 

Bless our D and special teams. 10-2, I have no idea how but I take it. Hopefully it'll mean a good bowl and not for the 500th time the Outback. 

(Go Gophers! ) 

• Love 4

Badgers QB goes back to pass, Gophers take down a Badgers WR, flag comes out, and Badgers QB is sacked.  Call is defensive holding.  Badgers were 2nd & 9 at the Minnesota 13, so instead of 10 yards, they give them half the distance to the goal line, moving the ball to the 6 1/2 yard line, but it's not an automatic first down.  Because the QB is sacked it's a running play not a pass play, thus not an automatic first?  Really, college football?  This is something the NCAA should look at.  Perhaps the reason the QB didn't get the pass off was because one of his receivers was on the ground and it screwed up the play, thus the sack. 

Or did the officials completely screw this up?  

Have my fellow Bama fans got your heart rate back to normal yet?   We knew that would be a tough game.  Roll Damn Tide to the players for that epic comeback in the last 1:32 minutes in the 4th quarter.   Great job guys!  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Have my fellow Bama fans got your heart rate back to normal yet?   We knew that would be a tough game.  Roll Damn Tide to the players for that epic comeback in the last 1:32 minutes in the 4th quarter.   Great job guys!  

I have low blood pressure, and it was high. I cannot believe it. My heart rate is just too high. RMFTR

• Love 1

Thank you, Michigan.  I don't give a shit about you 364 days of the year, but when you can knock off the thoroughly obnoxious entity that is Ohio State, I love you.

Auburn, I really wanted you to do me a solid as well; I don't care about you or Alabama, except when the breathing, talking turd that is Nick Saban is coach - I want him to lose all the games. 

An Auburn victory would have been especially glorious, since they were such underdogs.  Oh, well.

How ridiculous the possession (of a catch) requirements are was on full display again right now in the Bedlam game; Oklahoma State should have had a TD on a great play.  They got one a couple of plays later, but I feel sorry for the receiver.

• Love 7

Wow, that was the best Bedlam game in a while.  Good for Oklahoma State!  I have a lot of family in Oklahoma, some of whom went to OU, some of whom went to State, and many of whom didn't go to college anywhere, but root for OU as Oklahoma's professional team.  So there's a lot of family rivalry going on this time each year; my loyalties are most with the State people, so I root for the Pokes.

I'm unsettled by the OU (whom I'll root for the rest of the season, since the Oklahoma teams are the only ones in the conference I like) move to the SEC, but since it is happening, now I wish it was happening next season; for this to be the "Buh-bye; don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out" final game, at home, would have been even sweeter for the Cowboys.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Well, it only took a decade, but Michigan finally has their signature win. So watch them choke it away in the Big 10 title game.

I knew this was their year, as much as I hate Harbaugh.  (I respect his brother, as a coach, tho).  We have to let them win every ten years or so, but as the season went on I was hoping that maybe TTUN wasn’t as good as they looked.

Oh well…GO HAWKEYES!

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Auburn, I really wanted you to do me a solid as well; I don't care about you or Alabama, except when the breathing, talking turd that is Nick Saban is coach - I want him to lose all the games. 

To think they were within 40 sec of winning that game.  I was so bummed.  At least OK St won.  If they win the Big 12, I’d like to see them in the CFP.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Lincoln Riley is headed to USC and Bob Stoops is the interim at Oklahoma? and I don’t know what to do with any of this information.

I sure don't.

I'm used to putting up with Oklahoma coaches I don't like personally since I'm just a peripheral fan due to family ties, but to have one of these dudes at USC?  I'm going to have to dig more into Riley to decide how I feel about this.

And I thought Stoops was a great coach whose flaws - namely, that his teams consistently looked past lesser opponents and thus sometimes got caught with their pants down when they should have won - got underplayed in all the hoopla.

44 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Lincoln Riley is headed to USC and Bob Stoops is the interim at Oklahoma? and I don’t know what to do with any of this information.

I'd read the first part but not heard the second, as I've been soaking up the news that my Gators have a new HC -- within in week of firing the old HC and the new guy is our first choice. All of which is new territory for Gator Nation. Stoops as interim is wild, wild stuff.