Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Always a pleasure to see Alabama and Saban lose.

Nothing fires up Saban more than a loss.  They'll be back!!  

9 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

To be fair, he has been there before. It’s just that he’s usually the one who’s lost.

I'm thinking about his time with Bama.  :) 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The one consolation to the whole thing is that the SEC will bring home another National Championship trophy.  Even in the years when Bama doesn't make it to the big game and another SEC team is in the mix, I'll almost always root for the SEC (with one or two exceptions!)   

I hear some ACC hoops fans saying this during the NCAA tournament, and it always makes me shake my head.

"If my team can't win the title, I hope one of my hated in-conference rivals does, so they can lord it over us for the next 365 days! Go ACC!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

I hear some ACC hoops fans saying this during the NCAA tournament, and it always makes me shake my head.

"If my team can't win the title, I hope one of my hated in-conference rivals does, so they can lord it over us for the next 365 days! Go ACC!"

To be fair, I always say this for any tournament.  With the exception of TTUN.  Nothing will ever get me to root for them.

Right now I’m hoping the Bungles fair well in the playoffs.  Not only are they an AFC North team, but they’re also our in-state rival.  Go Ohio!

8 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I live in Georgia (but not originally from Georgia).  Comments like this is why I cannot support UGA.  

I don't think he meant for fans to actually do this. It's a reference to a famous call made by Larry Munson in 1980 when UGA won. 

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

I don't like to have another SEC team take the title over us, but because of all of the insults I read about the SEC in general, I'd rather the trophy go home with an SEC team rather than by another conference.  

Just like with Bowl games. I want my conference to represent themselves well.  There are a couple of teams in the SEC that I really don't like, but when it's all said and done, I'd rather have a strong conference overall.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

The chance of me ever rooting for North Carolina to win the NCAA Tournament is the exact same chance of me spontaneously turning into a lamp in the next five minutes.

I fell asleep at 9-6; woke up at 18-13; saw 19-18 and then went to bed.  Seems as if that Georgia D I heard about all season came out to play in the last five minutes!

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 6
15 hours ago, roamyn said:

Okay, Kirby’s speech abt “tearing up some property in Indianapolis”, is total shit and the fans roaring their approval tells me how utterly entitled they are.

You don’t go into someone else’s city and talk abt destroying their home.

He wasn't serious he said that in tribute to Georgia's former play by blay man.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

He wasn't serious he said that in tribute to Georgia's former play by blay man.

He might want to be careful with his words though.  I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who don't know that, and in sports, it doesn't take much to get people stirred up and then do stupid things after winning such a big game!  Nice shout out to the guy though.  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Just like with Bowl games. I want my conference to represent themselves well.  There are a couple of teams in the SEC that I really don't like, but when it's all said and done, I'd rather have a strong conference overall.  

Never worry about the strength of SEC football so long as the Vandy dynasty is in the conference.  (small voice:  They’re super good at baseball!)

I thought the national championship was a really good game with an awesome ending.  I was satisfied, other than wishing this game could be on Saturday nights because I’m getting old and tired.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I was satisfied, other than wishing this game could be on Saturday nights because I’m getting old and tired.

Amen to that!!  Luckily I am off today because my boss went to the game.  Win or lose, we are hyped up after a game like that!!  It took a few melatonin pills for me to go to sleep last night!  ;)   

ETA: Amen to wanting the game on a Saturday night.  Not Amen to the loss.   I wasn't satisfied with the outcome!!  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

The chance of me ever rooting for North Carolina to win the NCAA Tournament is the exact same chance of me spontaneously turning into a lamp in the next five minutes.

And I will NEVER root for dook 👎. But I will root for the rest of the ACC. 😊

• Love 2

Some may call Saban a "jackass," but this is the side us Bama fans see and why we like him so much. 

I spoke to a Bama student who rooms with one of the players on the team (practice/scout team player) and he said that all of the players have so much respect for Coach Saban.   Sounded like they also have a lot of fun too.  It would be fun being privy to the inside scoop!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Paul Finebaum was doing an interview with … someone … and I’m pretty sure all of the names he gave of players who left Alabama after last season are starting this year in the NFL playoffs.  Crazy.

Also crazy is that there is any measure that this season could be considered a failure for Saban.  Come ON.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Also crazy is that there is any measure that this season could be considered a failure for Saban.  Come ON.

The entire season wasn't a failure.  Winning the SEC Championship wasn't a failure.  You learn from your successes and failures.  The players who just went through this and who will still be on the team next season will definitely carry this last defeat with them and learn from it. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I spoke to a Bama student who rooms with one of the players on the team (practice/scout team player) and he said that all of the players have so much respect for Coach Saban.   Sounded like they also have a lot of fun too.  It would be fun being privy to the inside scoop! 

Whenever I think of "fun" Nick Saban, this clip comes to mind.  It's a couple of years old but you gotta admire your 60ish coach coming out to dance at a house party. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Whenever I think of "fun" Nick Saban, this clip comes to mind.  It's a couple of years old but you gotta admire your 60ish coach coming out to dance at a house party. 

Ms. Terry said that he can dance, but he can't sing!!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

It seems like all Khaki Pants has made a small mess w/his NFL mixed messages.

Now TTUN needs to replace both Coordinators.  And personally, more $ or not, Gattis going to Miami is a step down, from a blue blood program.  He must be really pissed at TTUN administration.

They’re losing a lot of talent this, so I don’t believe they’ll repeat, or at least make the CFP.

• Love 1

Meh.  I'm okay with it.  I would've preferred expansion, but 2026 will be here faster than you know it.

I don't know or think a Group of 5 team will make it at all in the next four years, but at least they (Cincinnati) had their shot.  Or had a shot!

Outside of that, the only problem would be if all 5 Power Five conference winners are undefeated.  Maybe they'll have a plan for that; maybe they won't.  However, the chances of that happening are slim to none, and in my honest opinion, none to less than none.  It's brutal, but the committee has control, and a loss gives them an out or just a reason for the snub

Sarah Spain is right - Art Briles does not in any way deserve a second chance.  Frankly, I’m pretty surprised that Grambling is doing this.

I wonder what the over/under is on the number of days until we get the next press release un-hiring him.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7
On 2/25/2022 at 5:59 AM, mojoween said:

Sarah Spain is right - Art Briles does not in any way deserve a second chance.  Frankly, I’m pretty surprised that Grambling is doing this.

I wonder what the over/under is on the number of days until we get the next press release un-hiring him.

• Love 5

What’s funny to me is that Saban never said he cheated. He said that they paid the players. Jimbo is the one who is talking about how he didn’t cheat and that he didn’t break any Texas laws. A hit dog will holler.

Also, if Saban is so terrible, then why did he continue to work for him??

• Useful 2

I don’t normally pay attention until December but I WILL watch Bama vs. A&M.

Also I think that game is the one some guy filed a civil lawsuit on to have the time changed because it’s a FOX game which everyone assumes will be at noon, and he said the players will die in the heat if they don’t play at night.  Or something.

• LOL 3
On 5/19/2022 at 2:20 PM, PepSinger said:

What’s funny to me is that Saban never said he cheated. He said that they paid the players. Jimbo is the one who is talking about how he didn’t cheat and that he didn’t break any Texas laws. A hit dog will holler.

Exactly!  Saban didn't say Jimbo's name, but rather his program.  Looks like Jimbo got butthurt over it and lashed out.  I stand by Saban.  The point he was making was true.   Saban's statement.   Maybe it was a shot across the bow that Bama and other programs will follow Texas A&M's lead and recruit the way they do.   Saban apologized (which he shouldn't have), so maybe Jimbo can get his underwear out of a wad and calm down. 

Whenever some kind of major change takes place within college football, Saban usually tells the rest of the coaching world what the pros and cons will be of said changes.  He's simply telling people how the NIL is affecting college football.  He warned about it years ago.

• Love 3
On 5/20/2022 at 6:28 PM, ChitChat said:

Exactly!  Saban didn't say Jimbo's name, but rather his program.  Looks like Jimbo got butthurt over it and lashed out.  I stand by Saban.  The point he was making was true.   Saban's statement.   Maybe it was a shot across the bow that Bama and other programs will follow Texas A&M's lead and recruit the way they do.   Saban apologized (which he shouldn't have), so maybe Jimbo can get his underwear out of a wad and calm down. 

Whenever some kind of major change takes place within college football, Saban usually tells the rest of the coaching world what the pros and cons will be of said changes.  He's simply telling people how the NIL is affecting college football.  He warned about it years ago.

Nick Saban has spoken out before about the issues with using NIL to recruit players.  (And I’m a GA Bulldog). 

Hubby and I watched Saban’s comments about A&M conference followed by Jimbo’s press conference and then SEC Shorts to cap the evening off (we might need a proper date at some point”

I told my husband that we need a new show: “The Real Coaches of the SEC”, just throw them all in - especially Lane Kiffin.

I do thInk Deion Sanders will have to be a “friend of”

(for the few of you who watch both college football and the real housewives.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

In reading an article abt tOSU’s obtaining a patent on the word ‘The’ for merchandising reasons, I found out that The Ohio University in Athens also uses the word and has for decades.  The article jokingly says tOSU stole tOU’s thunder.

Ohio on Ohio crime!  😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/23/2022 at 2:34 PM, mojoween said:

Also the media needs to put some respect on Cooper’s name and stop calling Arch Peyton and Eli’s nephew.

For real.  After all, he is the oldest.  Most accomplished? No.  However, he's pretty known as opposed to a nobody!

Edited by Carey
  • Love 1

If Cooper and/or Arch Manning care then they can speak up.  Plus Arch Manning inherited half of his DNA and (presumably) a lot of traits from his mom - where's the outcry about having her excluded from all of these articles?  The kid wasn't cloned from just his dad's cells.

That's fair enough.  Mrs. Manning is really excluded from a lot of stuff.  Might be her choice, and in terms of giving a damn, she might not care.  Ditto for Cooper and Arch.

I still feel that Cooper is pretty well known as opposed to a Jeopardy clue.  I feel he deserves some mention, but I agree he can voice his concerns himself.  However, it's not a total big deal, and definitely not a surprise that the media would say that it's Peyton/Eli's nephew.  It's really common sense, and the media probably isn't changing that.

The good news is that Arch has a chance to create his own story.  He might surpass Eli; he might not surpass Peyton, but if all goes well, the media will refer to Arch as just simply Arch

On 6/23/2022 at 2:34 PM, mojoween said:

Also the media needs to put some respect on Cooper’s name and stop calling Arch Peyton and Eli’s nephew.

Why not refer to him as Archie’s grandson?

He’s his own person and should be identified as such.  Constantly referring Arch to his family members puts a lot of pressure on the young man.  Ok you can call him Peytoh/Eli’s nephew, Archie’s grandson, or Cooper’s son once or twice, but saying it over & over downplays his own accomplishments, and relegates him to an object vs a young man learning to stand on his own feet as he becomes an adult.

• Applause 5

If USC and UCLA leave the PAC-12 for the Big 10 (which will then have about 47 teams in it), then just get rid of conferences and do something else, because that would be ridiculous.  I know this isn’t just football, but they’re probably driving this nonsense.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I know this isn’t just football, but they’re probably driving this nonsense.

When it comes to conference alignment, the answer is always football.

Outside of playing each other, their shortest road trip will be over a thousand miles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
41 minutes ago, xaxat said:

When it comes to conference alignment, the answer is always football.

Outside of playing each other, their shortest road trip will be over a thousand miles.

And traveling to Rutgers and Maryland is a cross country trip.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

If USC and UCLA leave the PAC-12 for the Big 10 (which will then have about 47 teams in it)

Word on the street is that it's a done deal and will be announced as early as tonight.

Your move, Oregon (you can join too, bring the Huskies and then we'll set our sight on ND)