Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Party Time

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I liked that they called Vanessa Marissa Tomei, and then she blurted out a ton of information Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny-style.Ā 

Seeing Johnny using Miyagi Do moves was a thing of beauty. I did not expect Daniel to break out the "Quiet!" I did expect Johnny to call Miguel "Robby" but Miguel's reaction broke my heart more than I expected.

I was kind of hoping they'd have a fight next to a pool but then not fall into it, just to shake things up a little. Tori and Robby's spinny kick dance move was beautiful.

How did I end this ep feeling bad for Stinkray?!

• Love 9

Oh, FFS, I thought we'd seen the last of the useless Stingray character.

#hemustknowwherethebodiesareburied

#blackmail

Johnny's Ex: "This guy Silver said he's paying for the limo and everything else. Red Flag@"

Me: Okay, sure, but Kreese is the real bad guy. I'm not sure Silver 2.0 is really that bad. You all need to focus here, peeps.

Me.: Pac-Man Tux is actually so f'ing cool. I wish they'd had those for my grad dance. It wouldn't have been cool in the 90s, but nowadays, if I'd worn that, I'd look like a g-d visionary.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Ā 

How did I end this ep feeling bad for Stinkray?!

I have no idea. He just assaulted his sister's defenseless neighbor. The only thing that made his presence remotely tolerable was seeing him get run out of the dojo or beat down. The only times I have ever been on the side of Kreese or Silver. He's a creepy weirdo. I just want him to go away forever.

• Love 3
On 12/31/2021 at 1:59 PM, Neiman said:

Wow, that Pac Man prom tux šŸ˜…

Ā 

18 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

It wouldn't have been cool in the 90s, but nowadays, if I'd worn that, I'd look like a g-d visionary.

Brilliant. I would have totally worn that. And for sure.Ā 

Robby looked great at the prom. The dance was a little much, but the actors looked like they were having fun.

I like that Kreese knows he's losing some control to Silver. I'm hoping this comes to a head.Ā 

On 12/31/2021 at 6:11 PM, bettername2come said:

Seeing Johnny using Miyagi Do moves was a thing of beauty.

I'm surprised he lost so easy to Silver though.Ā 

On 12/31/2021 at 6:11 PM, bettername2come said:

Tori and Robby's spinny kick dance move was beautiful.

That was really well done, but again, Sam isn't really Miyagi-do; she's got to walk away there.Ā 

The humping in the car at the end was totally 80s.Ā 

Poor Miguel- that look he had when Johnny said Robbieā€™s name gutted me. Xolo cries so well and definitely is the most talented actor out of the teens.Ā 
Ā 

Sam continues to be the worst this season. Ā Terry is a freaking psychopath, and the actor is playing him so well.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™mĀ glad that Anthony got caught being a bully. And why is he letting his dipshit friends get into his head?Ā 

• Love 6
On 12/31/2021 at 5:07 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I loved it.

Wow, talk about a heel turn. I was digging Silver and I guess now his true colors have come out.

Anyone else think Kreese is Johnny'sĀ  dad?

I think Silver is Johnny's dad.

Seeing Johnny using Miyagi Do moves was a thing of beauty. I did not expect Daniel to break out the "Quiet!" I did expect Johnny to call Miguel "Robby" but Miguel's reaction broke my heart more than I expected.

I felt so bad for him, but this has happened previously, and it seems like Miguel should know home much he means to Johnny, and not just as Sensei/Pupil. Miguel lets Robby get into his head about it, though.

• Love 1

I knew they were ramping up to Johnny saying Robbie in the worst possible moment. It didn't hurt any less.

I don't feel bad for Stingray but he is example of how being bullied and a lack of self confidence can break you if you let it.Ā 

Silver is off the hinges for real.Ā 

• Love 4
On 1/2/2022 at 12:23 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm surprised he lost so easy to Silver though.

There were hints in part 3 that Silver was more dangerous, and had more respect for Miyagi-Do than Kreese.Ā  Silver respected the value of defense more than Kreese.Ā  Kreese is brute force, Silver's more tactical and quicker.Ā  Remember he was the only one panicking when Daniel did the Kata against Mike Barnes.Ā  He had been running it down to Daniel all movie, and when he saw Daniel do it, it was what he feared.Ā  Nobody else is worried, they're confused, but Terry's freaking out because he knows it's all about Daniel being balanced.Ā  Silver's smarter than Kreese, and knows what can work against defensive fighters like Daniel.

• Love 5
On 1/1/2022 at 6:08 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

Oh, FFS, I thought we'd seen the last of the useless Stingray character.

#hemustknowwherethebodiesareburied

#blackmail

Maybe he just really loves being on the show, because his credits are actually surprisingly impressive. I mean he was the star of a Clint Eastwood movie.Ā 

On 1/2/2022 at 1:23 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

Robby looked great at the prom. The dance was a little much, but the actors looked like they were having fun.

I liked his tux but I thought that Tori's outfit looked kind of ridiculous (although I am a middle aged guy who knows nothing about fashion). It made her look like 10 years older than everyone else there. When Sam was getting in her face at the keg it looked like Sam was fighting her teacher. Which is kind of surprised since I was curious and the actress who plays Sam is actually older.

• Love 6
On 1/3/2022 at 9:33 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I liked his tux but I thought that Tori's outfit looked kind of ridiculous (although I am a middle aged guy who knows nothing about fashion). It made her look like 10 years older than everyone else there.

When I was a teenager, my friends would have killed to be able to wear a dress like Tori's, but their parents would have nixed it for the reasons you mentioned. In that context, Tori's dress makes perfect sense to me. Sam's dress looked like it was purchased out of one of those run-of-the-mill prom dress stores. It looked very cheap and not something a rich girl from Encino would ever wear. Compare that to the red dress Demetri's girlfriend was wearing; it was age-appropriate and much higher quality.

I continue to dislike Sam for the reasons everyone has previously mentioned. I am in no way buying that Anthony's changed after one stern talking to by Daniel.

Speaking of Daniel, the way he treats workers is just abhorrent. For example when Anthony hired the guy to wash Daniel's cars, Daniel dismissed the dude by angrily saying, "Get out of here!" immediately after the dude saying he was saving for his cat's hernia surgery.

Robbie has immensely redeemed himself this season for me, but has slipped a bit the last couple of episodes. I really enjoy his character when he can see through ALL of the adults' bullshit and follows his own instincts instead.

I continue to love Miguel. He's sweet and is not afraid to be in touch with his emotions which makes me doubly pissed at Sam for how she seemed to be yearning for Robbie while dancing with Miguel. Even though I knew in my gut Johnny would say Robbie's name in the drunk Johnny scene, it still broke my heart to see Miguel cry. Xolo's facial expressions even during little moments are fantastic.

I'm worried about Kenny. He seemed like such a sweet, thoughtful, good soul. I hope that Cobra Kai doesn't corrupt him and he ends up in juvie with his brother.

• Love 7
On 12/31/2021 at 2:07 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I loved it.

Wow, talk about a heel turn. I was digging Silver and I guess now his true colors have come out.

Anyone else think Kreese is Johnny'sĀ  dad?

Just when I thought Silver was playing the long game.

This Kreese or Silver being Johnny's dad doesn't play right.Ā  Given his age it would have had to have been before Vietnam

On 1/1/2022 at 10:23 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Ā 

Brilliant. I would have totally worn that. And for sure.Ā 

I like that Kreese knows he's losing some control to Silver. I'm hoping this comes to a head.Ā 

I'm surprised he lost so easy to Silver though.Ā 

That was really well done, but again, Sam isn't really Miyagi-do; she's got to walk away there.Ā 

The humping in the car at the end was totally 80s.Ā 

I wonder if Johnny becomes a grandfather is next season's story. The dance show off was the surprise of the episode.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Raja said:

This Kreese or Silver being Johnny's dad doesn't play right.Ā  Given his age it would have had to have been before Vietnam

U.S. involvement in Vietnam was roughly from 1965 to 1975. Other than it being too much of a coincidence and generally a bad idea, there's nothing inherently impossible to reconcile with the chronology of Kreese or SilverĀ being in their early 20s for some part of Vietnam to have their experiences and being Johnny's biodad.

I can't remember what episode this season it is, but the show shows us that Johnny was old enough to have stockpiled a bunch of things that belonged to his dad. So he presumably has some memory of him. For there to be a Johnny, I am your father moment with either Kreese or Silver seems to fly in the face of that.

Ā 

• Love 2

While I don't know if he is or not there's an easy work around for how did Johnny not recognize Kreese as the daddy that left him.

Kreese was the bio dad but, went MIA in Vietnam, while Mommy was pregnant, she convinced Johnny's "Dad" that he's really the father. Then Kreese comes back from Vietnam, Daddy figures out he's not really Johnny's dad and takes off but, Kreese is messed up and abandons Little Johnny so Mommy married Sid for security/money. Eventually Kreese comes back but, decides not to tell Johnny so he takes on mentorship role via Cobra Kai.

Holy Soap Opera, Batman! šŸ˜‚

Ā 

• Love 2

Stingray is a gross and easily punch able character, who absolutely deserved to be told to fuck off by his neighbor and by Kreese, but that beatĀ down from Terry was so brutal that even I cringed. I honestly feel rather bad for Terry, he clearly worked hard to get his life back together and Kreese showing up again sent him back to the unstable guy we knew in Karate Kid 3, but that just makes him even scarier. Kreese is driven by bitterness and it leads him to do awful things, but Terry seems straight up unhinged.Ā 

I knew that Johnny would say Robbie's name when he was drunk and miserable, but it still really hurt. Poor Miguel, I just felt so bad for him, he is in desperate need of all of the hugs. Johnny also really needs to deal with his drinking problem. Its gotten better since heĀ met Miguel and got a purpose again, but its clearly still an issue.Ā 

They should have known when they called VanessaĀ Marissa Tomei that, like in My Cousin Vinny, she's actually way smarter then people give her credit for.

Love so much that Johnny used some of theĀ Miyagi Do moves he learned from Daniel and that Daniel used Johnny's "QUIET!" when he laidĀ down the law with Anthony, they really have learned from each other even if they don't want to admit it.Ā 

• Love 10
On 1/5/2022 at 8:50 AM, Catfi9ht said:

When I was a teenager, my friends would have killed to be able to wear a dress like Tori's, but their parents would have nixed it for the reasons you mentioned. In that context, Tori's dress makes perfect sense to me. Sam's dress looked like it was purchased out of one of those run-of-the-mill prom dress stores. It looked very cheap and not something a rich girl from Encino would ever wear. Compare that to the red dress Demetri's girlfriend was wearing; it was age-appropriate and much higher quality.

I always assumed that Tori's dress was probably a borrow from Silver's 30-something girlfriend, which makes sense in the context of why her dress looked more appropriate for an adult soiree than something you'd see at a high school prom.

It's kind of funny to me that prom dresses/tuxes don't seem to have evolved past what they looked like in the mid-2000's when I went. lol Sam's dress especially looked like something you could have seen a girl wear at the prom in 2005. (The tuxes are more fitted though. Not as many bright pastel vests.)Ā 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I loved Demetri's tux, and he and his (former?) mean girl are pretty cute together. But the back of the dress was so odd.

I enjoyed Vanessa out-Louieing Louie, and her interactions with Daniel and Amanda.

Loving the continuing flashbacks to the movies.

Cheap shot, Silver. Though their fight was a good one. Johnny busting out some Miyagi moves, and Daniel sounding a lot like Johnny with Anthony.

I was not expecting Kreese to take the stand down approach.

The whole prom and all the pettiness was just ugh.

Has Robby ever expressed remorse to Miguel? I honestly don't remember.

Arrested development Stingray is just...no. I do not understand the point of the character, at all.

Poor Miguel. Xolo killed it in that scene.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 1

Please don't let Kreese or Silver be Johnny's father.Ā Ā  To fall back on that shopworn old trope would destroy the creative momentum of this show.

I don't know what the laws are where Stingray lives, but hereabouts he would have been facing serious charges for providing minors with alcohol and for assault and battery witnessed by about 50 people.

I was disappointed Silver bested Johnny, given that Silver has been out of the game for what?Ā Ā  35 years?Ā Ā  Doesn't instill much faith that either Daniel or Johnny's students can triumph at the All Valley.Ā Ā  Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang's prep for the big showdown reminds me of Rocky's initial workouts for his first fight with Clubber Lang -- insufficient and insincere.

Ā 

• Love 5

Demetri had a cool tux, reminds me of my NES playing days. šŸ˜›

So Terry Silverā€™s going to do the same thing he wanted to do in KK3. Iā€™m guessing he wanted to WIN the tournament to attract students who follow winners in addition to the students who would sign up anyways. And Kreese disappearing probably threw a wrench in those plans back then. It was also pretty cool to see the old dojo.

This episode was key to me, because it showed something in Kreese that I never thought would be possible or believable: a softer side. But this was confirmation that he doesnā€™t want to see someone else hurt Johnny. I also think that watching Silver do things like this has made him realize a tiny bit what his own actions have done.

But Kreese triggering Silver before has pulled Silver back into his old self, which will be bad. Silver does whatever he deems fit within his crazy mind when he is pushed, damn any consequences (him beating Stingray proves that).Ā That makes him more dangerous than Kreese ever was.

Samā€™s just looking for any reason to fight Tory, which is bully behavior. I know Tory did it in the past, but Sam is just proving sheā€™s on the same level that Tory was then. She criticized Miguel for his aggressive behavior at the end of Season 1, and now sheā€™s acting the same way.

Ā 

• Love 1
On 1/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, SoWindsor said:

Johnny definitely has a drinking problem. I hope they address this at some point.

Johnny's biggest drinking problem is his choice of American lager swill over the wide array of really good beers available.

• LOL 3
On 2/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

Johnny's biggest drinking problem is his choice of American lager swill over the wide array of really good beers available.

That makes sense though. The Coors beer that Johnny drinks probably tastes exactly the same as it did when he was drinking it back in high school when his life was awesome.

9 hours ago, CarolMK said:

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but I just realized that Stingray is the same actor who played Horace in the Cruella movie . Excellent movie too, imo.Ā 

He was also the star of the movie Richard JewellĀ directed by Clint Eastwood and was really good in that.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:11 PM, bettername2come said:

Seeing Johnny using Miyagi Do moves was a thing of beauty.Ā 

That was awesome!

Ā 

On 1/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, twoods said:

Iā€™mĀ glad that Anthony got caught being a bully. And why is he letting his dipshit friends get into his head?Ā 

Because he's 14. Friends are everything at that age.

Tory looks fantastic in that dress!

Stingray, the character no one wanted to see again. (Although he is used effectively here.) I am firmly Team Hughes, I haaaaate noisy neighbors. Does he realize he's going to be arrested for assault?

Every time I see Terry Silver, I want to say "Why the long face?"

The writing on this show continues to impress me--love that finally Kreese is getting some nuance. Did not see that act of mercy toward Johnny coming.

That last scene between Miguel and Johnny--WOW. That poor kid.

That last scene--Jesus, show.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2022 at 8:50 AM, Catfi9ht said:

Ā 

True, true. But I've seen much more revealing outfits at high school dances. Differences in generations I guess. It's more acceptable to show more skin now.Ā 

Ā 

I could imagine how ambitious the production for this episode was, they had to double down on covid swab kits due to how many crowd seasons there were in here. It boggles me how they were able to get this season done so quickly in spite of current events.Ā