Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Everyday Life

• Start Topic

I can't watch Monet & Vaughn anymore, I just can't. It's too uncomfortable. Seriously, Monet, you need to cut your losses and end this. Vaughn is just too weird. And what exactly are they trying to salvage? Other than sexual chemistry, there's nothing between them. I don't think they even like each other. At least with Doug/Jamie and Jason/Cortney, they really, really like each other so it's worth making an effort.

I have always liked Cortney/Jason, but wasn't very confident that they would make it in the long run. I have more hope for them after tonight. They both really seem to want the relationship to work, and are trying very hard.

They're making me worry about my favorite couple, Doug & Jamie! Although I know they are making more of their scheduling challenges for the storyline than probably exists. Since Jamie works 12 hour shifts, I think she only works 3 days a week (I think Doug actually said that at the baseball game) so it's not like they never see each other.

It's good that Jamie wanted to marry into a really close family because, honestly, Doug's family is a little too close for my taste. He talks to his parents every day, works with his sister and brother, and they spend a lot of their free time together. That would be just too much for me.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 2

LMAO vaughn what in the hell???? I guess it makes sense, since thats all we've seen of them but you know good and well that was inappropiate.

I went aww at the notes that jason left courtney. That was cute and thoughtful.

Edited by seauxheaux

Honestly, I feel bad for both Monet and Vaughn.  I don't know what, if anything, they can do to salvage their relationship because they are definitely not on the same page.  I just hope they can part as friends before they savage each other. 

Jason and Courtney really gave me hope when she bought that calendar for their schedules.  I like that they do things for each other--even little things like her buying the calendar, and him writing her the note and leaving wine in the fridge.  I will be so disappointed if they don't make it.

I'm all for family gatherings but Doug is just too close to his family for my taste.  I wonder if Jamie will be able to deal.

On a shallow note, Courtney and Jamie are still wearing full makeup in bed.  I know they're doing it for the cameras but it just looks silly.  Plus, Jamie's long, false eyelashes are distracting  (I'm assuming they're false).

• Love 2

I think Vaughn was trying to push Monet to a point where she bailed with his menage a trois suggestion. I feel like he would want to add a guy to them, not a girl, cause I still think he's batting for the other team, but in serious denial at this time. He is so all over the place with what she doesn't do "right" and contradicts himself so much, no wonder she is in a constant state of confusion and frustration. One thing I would do? Quit sleeping with him! That's not going to make things go in the right direction.

• Love 5

Vaughn was seriously passive aggressive tonight. I think Monet is hanging around just to figure out what his damage is.

Cortney and Jason are kind of boring because they are still playing house. Jason talks about his mother, but we still don't know how much time it takes to help her with everything.

Doug and Jamie now have these lame manufactured crises. Jamie missed a Sunday baseball game. Big deal. If Doug has the same job as his siblings, I'm beginning to wonder how real that job is. Maybe he's just working at a family business. It's kind of interesting Jamie is already talking about babies.

Given the success of this show, I think there's about a 98% chance FYI will be filming a reunion special a week or so after the last episode airs. Expect Vaughn not to show up.

LMAO vaughn what in the hell????

Yeah what in the hell was right.  He knew that was all kinds of wrong and insulting.  Honestly, I think that Vaughn just doesn't like Monet, and he doesn't want to try to like her.  Monet's not liking him all that much either, but she's making an effort to get to know him.  It's just not working.  And, frankly, I'm getting tired of all the emphasis on how "sexually compatible" they are.  Monet keeps harping on it even though Vaughn hasn't said one damn thing about it.  But I get really annoyed when the so-called experts keep talking about it because it gives the impression that all the black couple wanted to do is fuck.  Yeah, I said it because it was getting on my nerves. 

• Love 6

I think each couple is getting an edit to make them different types of couples. Vaughn and Monet are supposed to be the couple that have sex but don't have any communication. You have a point, Ohwell, because we started out with a lot of Vaughn's "I like ass" stuff.

What the fuck Vaughn? I'm rarely shocked at people's behavior but I'm stunned at how utterly tone deaf he is. Monet seems a bit too keyed up, but at least she is making some semblance of an effort. He's checked out completely. I have a hard time watching their segments at this point. He doesn't want a wife. He wants a silent, subservient sex slave.

I'm disappointed we didn't get much interaction between Doug and Jamie. Yeah, her schedule is difficult (my sister works nights as a nurse as well) but she gets extra time off and if you work hard enough, it's not as awful a schedule as some shift work is for a relationship. I speak with my parents daily so I don't think that's a huge deal, but they do seem a bit over involved in Doug's life. It's not like she blew them off because she has something better to do, it's her freaking job, lady. As an aside, I think dogs tend to be a good judge of character, and her dog seems to love Doug.

Cortney and Jason are very cute and I like the effort they are putting into making their different lifestyles work. I'm not too mushy but I loved the little notes he left her. I hope they can keep up that level of effort.

• Love 1

I'm with the rest of you who can't fast-forward quickly enough through the Monet/Vaughn segments. Seriously exceeds my cringe quotient.

Jamie thought she wanted close family bonds, but girl? Cloying and smothering aren't all they're cracked up to be. Shades of Marie Barone. And Doug all but said his family comes first.

• Love 3

Monet and Vaughn both annoy me for different reasons. Monet gets on MY nerves with the constant chatter, and Vaughn just seems conflicted (sexually?) and smarmy.

Together, they are all shades of wrong.

• Love 1

Yeah what in the hell was right.  He knew that was all kinds of wrong and insulting.  Honestly, I think that Vaughn just doesn't like Monet, and he doesn't want to try to like her.  Monet's not liking him all that much either, but she's making an effort to get to know him.  It's just not working.  And, frankly, I'm getting tired of all the emphasis on how "sexually compatible" they are.  Monet keeps harping on it even though Vaughn hasn't said one damn thing about it.  But I get really annoyed when the so-called experts keep talking about it because it gives the impression that all the black couple wanted to do is fuck.  Yeah, I said it because it was getting on my nerves. 

And I would not want to sleep on that matress of his either, nope.

I agree with one poster who said that they're probably edited to look a certain way too (doug/jamie - where one person wasn't attracted but eventually comes around, jason/courtney - young couple that have promise,  vaughn/monet - sexually there but going nowhere in everything else.) I still think they half assed it with them, like an underhanded "but I'm not racist" move.  And I am tired of the constant mention of things that we, the viewers, already know and can clearly see. Like they want to make sure we remember that they're the experts--which is hard to tell with vaughn and monet. I still haven't seen the so call chemistry they said they had on paper some episodes back. "The experts" are way too repetititve, just let us watch the couples. They work overtime with reminding us how REAL this social experiment is.

Edited by seauxheaux
  • Love 3

The expert's premise of the show is that if couples are forced to work on their relationship they will make it. They keep saying that Vaughn and Monet need to communicate more effectively. Bit they are the only couple who constantly talk/argue about their relationship instead of enjoying the moment, like in the restaurant last night, or actually courting. Monet needs to not pursue Vaughn but when makes an effort to please her, she needs to be receptive instead of sulky or confrontational.

Monet is a much more patient person than I am. Or she didn't have any cash on her. Because if I had been at that Italian dinner in NJ where Vaughn implied that she should be home cooking for them and that they should have a 3-some, I would have gotten up from the table, hailed a cab, gone home, and ended my participation in the little "experiment." If Vaughn doesn't like her, WTF is he doing moving his bed into her home?

I think, Jamie might benefit by talking to the other people who have married into Doug's family. They can give her an idea of traditions, expectations, and give tips from a family outsider's perspective. That said, I don't find it strange that Doug is so involved with his family. I talk to my parents daily and visit them at least weekly. However, I feel bad for my and my siblings' significant others since our family's closeness can make it hard for outsiders to feel accepted into it. Maybe Doug's is not like that though - hopefully, for Jamie's sake.

I'd be interested to see a fight between Cortney and Jason. I suspect that Jason is such a "sacrificer for others" that he avoids fighting - which can be bad if he lets irritations build up. (It can be good also -- he probably won't be picking petty fights like Vaughn.) I think money would be the most likely source of fights -- but if they recognize that up front, they can make a point face money issues and deal with them rather than fighting.

Monet needs to not pursue Vaughn ...

Good point - Vaughn might be a guy who becomes uninterested once they have conquered a challenge. Monet is married to him and has slept with him - Vaughn no longer has a challenge. She needs to become a challenge to him mentally and emotionally. Not sure how. Maybe by making a point of going out with friends (of both sexes) and ignoring Vaughn's temper tantrums.

Edited by PityFree

As I wrote in my post on the episode (see above!), I now think Vaughn knows exactly what he's doing. It's possible that he did come into this sincerely wanting to meet someone and make it work, but (as I speculate) he either straight-up lied about what he actually wants in a partner or only realized what he wants in a partner when he met someone who didn't satisfy those wishes, and now he's trying to make HER break up with HIM so he doesn't look bad on TV. But he doesn't have as much experience in trying not to look bad on TV as Jamie, so it's not working and we can all tell he sucks. I don't think there's anything Monet could do that would win him over at this point, and I feel bad for her that she's still trying.

Speaking of still trying: that advice from Pepper Schwartz was some BULLSHIT. Monet's supposed to recede and let Vaughn pursue her? What Surrendered Wife crap is that? But also she's supposed to stop trying to guess what Vaughn wants her to do and just ask him? Shut up, Pepper, you're worthless.

• Love 4

Speaking of still trying: that advice from Pepper Schwartz was some BULLSHIT. Monet's supposed to recede and let Vaughn pursue her? What Surrendered Wife crap is that? But also she's supposed to stop trying to guess what Vaughn wants her to do and just ask him? Shut up, Pepper, you're worthless.

Pepper Schwarz was interesting and insightful for about 5 minutes in the 1980s. Since then, she's one of these people I think should have taken their money and gone into real estate.

Way too much time spent on Vaughn and Monet. They're hopeless. Monet needs to stop yelling through every "conversation" like someone killed her dog, and Vaughn needs to just stay single for the rest of his life. He's just weird. One minute I'm sure he's purposely trying to sabotage the whole thing because he doesn't really like Monet, but then he suddenly starts trying to communicate, though blaming everything on Monet while at it. Are they contractually bound to spending 5 weeks with each other or why on earth are they still trying? I think Monet might be trying because she's attracted to Vaughn physically, but that shouldn't be enough reason to put up with all his passive aggressive crap. I wouldn't trust him either!

Too little Jamie and Doug, and I also felt their so called problems were exaggerated big time. I'm sure she has plenty of free time and his mom needs to calm the heck down. They've known each other for what, 2 weeks? I think the mom can wait a bit for her turn. Maybe part of why the parents seem so involved is because he was living at home before Jamie came into the picture. Suddenly he's out of the house and spending most of his time with someone they don't know. I hope Jamie can deal with the closeness.

Cortney and Jason are so cute. It's so sweet he changed his schedule for her and the notes were adorable. I really hope the best for them. Jason just needs to let her in a bit more. I really like their apartment.

• Love 2

I didn't mind the time spent on Vaughn and Monet, considering the fact that a lot of time was spent on Jamie and Doug in previous episodes.  It makes sense to showcase each couple from week to week.  Actually, I'd like to see more of Courtney and Jason because I'm pulling for them the most.  I also want to see more of their cute apartment.

• Love 1

" And I am tired of the constant mention of things that we, the viewers, already know and can clearly see. Like they want to make sure we remember that they're the experts--which is hard to tell with vaughn and monet. I still haven't seen the so call chemistry they said they had on paper some episodes back. "The experts" are way too repetititve, just let us watch the couples. They work overtime with reminding us how REAL this social experiment is."

I totally agree with this=the experts are useless! They say nothing a five year old could not say. Gems like "The key to any good marriage is communication" "Living together is difficult"

Also does anyone know why they have to make a decision at 6 weeks? Do they get a quick anulment but at 7 weeks they can't? Or does the show bail on them after 6 weeks ie no more paying for their old apartments?

Also Monet and Vaughn: I certainly don't quite understand what they are arguing about. It's like they both want to argue for the sake or arguing. I think it shows that compatibility with personalities is something you can't see on paper AND these two particular have personalities that would appeal to only a small number of mates. There could be a guy out there for Monet but I can't imagine what he would be like.

The idea that a couple should have to "work" at basic communication when they've only known each other two weeks, IMO, means that they are not compatible at all.

Jamie was not open to Doug at the beginning, in fact, she was completely repulsed by his looks. But after spending some time together, she is now laughing and enjoying herself. Every conversation is not an argument.

I think that Monet and Vaughn had sex due to anxiety and basic lust but they are otherwise completely incompatible.

• Love 2

I agree with whoever said that if they had to work at communication after just two weeks then they're doomed. Completely incompatible. That is still waaaaaaaaayyy before a couple should be running out of things to say to each other. Monet and Vaughn are both better off to just cut and run. It's obvious neither of them really give a shit about each other...even though Monet is trying, but it's obviously a futile effort. Consider them a failure and just focus on the other two couples.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 1

I actually said 'bloop' (a la NeNe) when Monet was talking to Vaughn in the car. He called her annoying, said he wanted weekend sex marathons, and wondered if she was down for threesomes. I think the threesome comment was what undid Monet. She seemed very over Vaughn after that foolish comment and felt she needed to tell him about himself.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 3

I actually said 'bloop' (a la NeNe) when Monet was talking to Vaughn in the car. He called her annoying, said he wanted weekend sex marathons, and wondered if she was down for threesomes. I think the threesome comment was what undid Monet. She seemed very over Vaughn after that foolish comment and felt she needed to tell him about himself.

Yep LOL. Ordinarily I would have winced at a comment like that (you aren't a man yet) but after his behavior, I thought it was funny. He was so hurt and taken aback and all I was thinking was "doesn't feel good, does it?"

• Love 3

I would love to hear about Vaughn's past relationships.  Even though he was in the military for 11 years, he dated a bit right?  He's been out 1.5 years and dated enough to know that he can't find her and went on this show. 

Where are these chicks??  Usually, when people are on a dating reality show their exes come out the woodwork and talk to some rag sheet/RadarOnline/TMZ/DailyMail.  I wouldn't mind hearing from any of their exes but Vaughn's in particular to confirm what a tool he really is.    

Yep LOL. Ordinarily I would have winced at a comment like that (you aren't a man yet) but after his behavior, I thought it was funny. He was so hurt and taken aback and all I was thinking was "doesn't feel good, does it?"

Yeah, I definitely don't fault Vaughn for not having everything together, but for all he has said to Monet...shoot, I was cackling. Maybe he'll think twice the next time he wants to characterize Monet negatively.

• Love 1

Maybe with the ménage a trois line Vaughn was hoping Monet would get up and leave the table?  Because that's the only reason I can think of for him saying that.  What Monet should have said was "Yes!  And I know just the guy!"  Of course, this is assuming that Vaughn isn't gay, in which case he would have jumped on it.   Come to think of it, the woman can't win. 

• Love 2

Given the success of this show, I think there's about a 98% chance FYI will be filming a reunion special a week or so after the last episode airs. Expect Vaughn not to show up.

If he does, it will only be to see if Doug/Jamie or Jason/Courtney are interested in a threesome.

Too little Jamie and Doug, and I also felt their so called problems were exaggerated big time. I'm sure she has plenty of free time and his mom needs to calm the heck down. They've known each other for what, 2 weeks? I think the mom can wait a bit for her turn. Maybe part of why the parents seem so involved is because he was living at home before Jamie came into the picture. Suddenly he's out of the house and spending most of his time with someone they don't know. I hope Jamie can deal with the closeness.

Yeah, I think they were exaggerated too. One thing that occurred to me is that when they were talking about getting a new apartment, there wasn't any discussion of living in New Jersey (that we saw, anyway). It seems like Doug must have pretty readily agreed to live in Manhattan, even though he still has to commute to New Jersey. I guess they could have easily lived in NJ and she commuted to NYC. So, at least he was willing to move away from his family, which is probably a good thing for them as they are starting out. Also, Jamie told her friend that Doug had lots of friends so I don't think he had been sitting home with his parents every night.

I think, Jamie might benefit by talking to the other people who have married into Doug's family. They can give her an idea of traditions, expectations, and give tips from a family outsider's perspective.

Your comment makes me realize that Doug's brother's wife didn't seem to be at the baseball game either.

I actually think it wasn't so much about Jamie missing the game as it is that Doug's Mom is suspicious of her in general, so she's anxious to check Jamie out herself. Jamie told her friend that Doug's Mom didn't think she's genuine or sincere. Between likely knowing this is Jamie's third romance-based reality show and her reaction to Doug at the wedding, I can see why she'd feel that way. I do think Jamie's growing feelings for Doug are sincere though. Her face just lights up when she's with him now.

• Love 3

Am I the only one that snickered when Monet called the doctor and said Dr Pepper? 

The worst part is she asked Monet to call her that. With that name (It's her real first name from what I could tell) she needs to just stick with Dr. Schwartz or possibly "Pepper."

I don't have cable so I have to wait for the episodes to get loaded on the FYI website so I just watched this last night.  

I can sorta understand Mama Doug's dislike of Jamie but as someone who works at a large hospital like Jamie and knows how shift work goes I just wanted to yell at Mama "she was working, not getting her hair done".    I do think Jamie and Doug have the best chance of making this experiment work so hopefully Doug's attachment to his family and Jamie's night schedule doesn't cause it all to come crashing down as for some reason I'm rooting for them.    I like Jason & Cortney too but they just seem so young, even though they really aren't.  

Really can't add anything about Monet and Vaughn except RUN Monet, run right back to Harlem.  

• Love 1

I don't really get Doug's mother. Yes, Jamie is Doug's wife, but they met in a very unusual way. Her expectations for Jamie shouldn't be the same expectations she would have for someone Doug met and fell in love with in a traditional way. Doug barely knew Jamie at the 2 week point, so his mother needed to chill a bit. Plus, Jamie missed the game due to work and that's a very legitimate reason for missing a recreational activity her husband is involved in.

• Love 4

I'm in agreement with y'all that Mama Doug seemed too out of sorts about that fact that her DIL was working. She almost seemed to imply Jamie didn't really try to get off work. Just be thankful Jamie has a good job that is in demand. (Remember your son was living at home!) I know about intermeshed families. I married into one & am grateful that I'm no longer a part of it. I'm very close to my family but my ex-in-laws thought any thing I did that didn't account for their plans, last minute or not, was a direct insult. The first few years I cared, then I didn't give a flip & then I began to enjoy living the bitch label they assigned me. I'm sure I still have it but I don't have to hear it anymore. I know Jamie wished for a super close family but sometimes what you wish for can bite you in the butt & hard.

Vaughn. Slimy & nasty. Ick, like gross white growths on a fish ich. Seriously dude what is wrong with you?' Y'all are having issues so you suggest a naked weekend of sex & her cooking for you. Does he remember he's being filmed? Way to win her trust & show off your listening skills dimwit. She was obviously withdrawn at their dinner so he brings up a three way. He either is trying to run her off, is hoping to apply for another reality show with a villain edit or is so dumb he shouldn't be allowed to drive. Did anyone else think they would have his bed fumigated & bleached before touching it? Ick, I tell you ick!

Courtney & Jason just seem so sweet & sincere & as though they want this to work. And I so badly want to believe them.

Once more we got the cheap quasi-educational snippet. Today's lesson is shift work & its impact on relationships. Shut up FYI. I don't trust your experts & I don't care to hear your supposed factoids. This is a reality show about strangers marrying. Quit pretending it's educational or a social experiment. Embrace the trash you are & run with it!

• Love 5

I don't really get Doug's mother. Yes, Jamie is Doug's wife, but they met in a very unusual way. Her expectations for Jamie shouldn't be the same expectations she would have for someone Doug met and fell in love with in a traditional way. Doug barely knew Jamie at the 2 week point, so his mother needed to chill a bit. Plus, Jamie missed the game due to work and that's a very legitimate reason for missing a recreational activity her husband is involved in.

Exactamundo! Mama Doug needs to chillax.  She's only your daughter-in-law in the legal sense of the word at this point.  If it works out, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to get to know her. 

Money and Vaugh. Yeah I cannot.   Mostly Vaugh.  I'm pretty sure he's gay and desperately trying to hide it.  Hence the overly-aggressive "sex talk" at dinner.  Kinda like one of those sitcoms or movies where they gay guy is trying to "play it straight" and over-compensates awkwardly... like  " hoooo boy.... nothing like a vagina, amirte guys??"

• Love 2

So I haven't been watching the show, just reading the recaps and finally looked up Doug the Monster's picture and -- he's really handsome! I can see how the moles might be all you see at first, but it's the kind of thing that recedes as you get to know someone and they seem like they'd be pretty easy to remove if they really skeeved Jamie out (and I say this as a person who has a facial mole that I really like).

I totally side with mama doug on this one. Not that I think that Jamie missed the game on purpose or that she did anything wrong in this baseball game situation but because less than a 2 weeks ago she was crying in a corner at her reception and refusing to touch doug because she thought he was ugly. I would be a pissed off mom too. I think both jamies rection at the wedding and mama dougs reaction to jamie are completely normal. Both are overreacting.

• Love 1

So I haven't been watching the show, just reading the recaps and finally looked up Doug the Monster's picture and -- he's really handsome! I can see how the moles might be all you see at first, but it's the kind of thing that recedes as you get to know someone and they seem like they'd be pretty easy to remove if they really skeeved Jamie out (and I say this as a person who has a facial mole that I really like).

Yes Doug is nice looking guy, especially with some facial scruff and he has a pretty hot body.   Have said before that Doug being physically fit has had to be a big plus.

I think Jamie went into that ballroom expecting some 6'2 inch GQ model and she got Doug & his moles.  And add that to the extreme emotional upheval of marrying a stranger and you get a total cold-hearted meltdown that we saw.  Was it wrong of her to react that way!?  Probably but there's no taking it back and I have to give Doug alot of credit for not taking it personally and willing to work with her since then.  And now they are getting to know one another and seeing if this can work when the cameras leave and the real world sets in.  

• Love 1

While I agree that Vaughn is a tool and can be a jerk at times, I think Monet also has some ownership in their dysfunction. She can be very abrasive, argumentative, and loud. For someone like Vaughn, who is an admitted introvert and wants a more traditional arrangement that can be the kiss of death. Monet is just too head strong for him (and I'm not saying women who are independent is a bad thing).

Cortney looks so much like Debbie Gibson, it's crazy.

• Love 4

I have sympathy for Monet. Yes, she is loud, but I know some loud talkers who are wonderful people. Vaughn hurts her feelings with his comments, and her first response is to become angry and defensive. I think lots of people react that way. Maybe she should have smiled at him and said, "You're so cute when you're being ridiculous." However, by that time, he had told her she was phony, insincere, too happy, and too bubbly. Well, he's changed all that hasn't he? She is no longer happy, or bubbly, and she is getting very real.

As far as I can see Vaughn in totally self-centered, and is no cannidate for marriage or even a relationship. I can't imagine why all the multiple personality tests he took didn't show he's a narcissist. Or at least has many traits consistent with narcissism. What kind of person who wants to be in a relationship says he wants to be not talk all day on Sunday? Seriously? Or says he can't be bothered to go to a brunch because that's going to interrupt his not talking? And, also ladies, when a man starts telling you what is wrong with you, that is the time to smile and say, "Thank you for your input. Goodbye."

Edited by Stinamaia
  • Love 4

Frankly, I'm getting tired of all the emphasis on how "sexually compatible" they are.  Monet keeps harping on it even though Vaughn hasn't said one damn thing about it.  But I get really annoyed when the so-called experts keep talking about it because it gives the impression that all the black couple wanted to do is fuck.  Yeah, I said it because it was getting on my nerves. 

I also thought this as well, but mostly because I thought the experts were wrong. Sure Vaughn and Monet were having sex, but I wouldn't necessarily call that a "strong physical connection." They have the chemistry of siblings. Not once did I ever see them hold hands or exchange looks that even hinted that they were physically attracted to each other (that hot tub scene was the only one). So to hear the constant repeating of "strong physically connection" from not only the experts but Monet herself (girl...?) has been very odd to me.

Edited by cerealboxkilla

Vaughn is a passive aggressive a-hole.  He clearly isn't attracted to Monet, but instead of coming right out and admitting it, he is choosing to make her despise him, instead.  This way, she will most definitely want a divorce.   I think when he said, "we should cook like this at home; and by we, I mean you", it caught her off guard, but then when he suggested the ménage a trois, she seemed to be trying really hard to keep her emotions in check .  I have a feeling if the cameras weren't there, she would have gone off on him. 

• Love 5

I would love to see the hard data from the scientific tests.  I would bet that Vaughn and Monet's compatibility data was lower (even though I think I recall the "experts" saying they were the highest) than the other to couples because they felt like they needed to include a minority couple to be PC.  Way earlier someone on here noted that they showed that they were trying to put a Hispanic couple together based their "compatibility." 

Even if everyone who ever applied to be on this show said that they only wanted to marry within their own race, ethnicity or religion, I hope that they wouldn't allow that to override their scientific approach and hard data about communication, goals, commitment, etc. but I think that's exactly what happened with Monet and Vaughn only because nothing else explains how very wrong it's going!!  They can't even have a normal, polite conversation!!  How unfair to Monet- and I guess to that tool Vaughn as well. 

• Love 1

I've probably never watched more than 30 minutes of reality TV in my entire life, but for some reason, I am completely addicted to this show.  I'm surprised to find how much I want Doug/Jamie and Jason/Cortney to make it work - both couples have surprised me with how things have developed.  

I'm a bit of a sucker for the Doug/Jamie storyline in particular - I appreciated Jamie's very real reaction to Doug at first, despite how shallow and cold it seemed and how well Doug handled it, and how he slowly won her over.  I think Doug is everything Jamie needs and hope that other, more superficial factors don't get in the way of her discovering that.  I'm less sure as to whether Jamie is what Doug needs since the show hasn't really explored what Doug wants (all I know is that he wants to be married, and to have his wife fit in with his family) but I think if they stay together long enough and work on the relationship, both sides can have what they want and need.  I really didn't like Jamie from the first episode, particularly in addition to finding out about her previously reality TV experiences, but she's really grown on me over the past few episodes.  I'm glad that she's less of a famewhore and flake than the first episode made her out to be; I had felt so bad for Doug in the first episode and thought that he was just going to get really hurt in this whole process.

I think Jason and Cortney actually have what it takes to make it in the long haul, despite how young and naive they seemed in the first episode.  I really like that both of them are taking this marriage seriously and are actually putting effort into it.  It was nice to see Jason change his work schedule for Cortney (and do all those nice little things for her - the note, wine, etc.), and for Cortney to go out and buy a calendar so that they could really commit to making their schedules work.  It's also nice to watch a less dramatic relationship unfold on this show compared to the initial drama of Doug/Jamie and the ongoing Vaughn/Monet drama.

As for the latter two... Vaughn & Monet are a match made in hell.  They are clearly the very opposite of what they each really want and need deep down inside, and the experts look like fools for putting these two together.  I have no idea what Vaughn was thinking with the stupid threesome, naked weekend and "I want you to cook for me, woman" stuff unless he was trying to get her to break up with him, but it's pretty obvious now that he's not even that into her on a physical level, so the whole thing is really forced.  He also seems to be a bit bipolar... I don't think he's been the same guy that he was in the first two and a half episodes or so.

Anyway, I have now put more thought into a reality show than I ever thought possible...

Edited by eyetotelescope
  • Love 3

I'm so disappointed in Monet and especially Vaughn. I had the highest hopes for them going into this. They seemed to want the same things, had a shared experience of losing their fathers, and they just look nice together. Unfortunately I agree that Vaughn seems to be trying to push Monet away rather than just admitting it's not going to work, and Monet is determined to barrel through their conversations anyway. They seem like a classic case of introvert vs. extrovert, which can work, but not the way they're approaching it.

When Vaughn said he likes to stay home and not talk on Sundays, I can see how that would put off the average person, but as a strongly introverted person myself, I totally understood. I also understand that if I'm dealing with a person who's not like me, I need to express that kind of thing in a gentler way -- "it's me, not you," etc. He is clearly either incapable or uninterested in doing that.

I'm surprised to see Jamie warming up to Doug after all. I wouldn't call it "slowly" since it's only been 2 weeks! But I still don't think they're going to make it. She may think she wants a large, close family, but I think she's going to be overwhelmed by the reality of it. The fact that Doug works with his siblings also makes me very nervous.

• Love 1