Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Blood Hive

Pallas
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Nat has Misty listed in her phone as "Don't pick up". And of course Misty put a spy camera in that gift she gave Nat. The most surprising thing there is that Nat didn't just throw it in the trash.

I'd bet Nat had an owl as her spirit bird, or whatever animal worshiping they did in the wild.

I thought the lines Misty was drawing to make the symbol were reaching at best. She either knew the wax was there or she's a crazy citizen detective. Oh, who am I kidding? She is.

If the group was stuck out there 19 months, coach is going to have to make good on his promise when Misty turns 18. I think I'd rather have her detonated early so she doesn't go thermonuclear when he nopes out. But he certainly didn't think he'd have to put up with her that long.

Who knew French was the devil's language?

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

I'd bet Nat had an owl as her spirit bird, or whatever animal worshiping they did in the wild.

I thought the lines Misty was drawing to make the symbol were reaching at best. She either knew the wax was there or she's a crazy citizen detective. Oh, who am I kidding? She is.

If the group was stuck out there 19 months, coach is going to have to make good on his promise when Misty turns 18. I think I'd rather have her detonated early so she doesn't go thermonuclear when he nopes out. But he certainly didn't think he'd have to put up with her that long.

Who knew French was the devil's language?

Detonated how? 

Good episode. I hate how periods are always absent in TV/ movies aside from the drama of the first period or a missed period/ pregnancy scare when the average woman has hundreds over the course of a lifetime.

So we now know Taissa and Van were a thing, and that Jackie is dead in the present. 

I could have sworn Misty and coach’s talk was going to be a dream sequence. Eek.

• Love 9

I liked the first talk between Shauna and her daughter, because it seemed sincere. Then when I found out her kid is still a hobgoblin in the 2nd conversation, I liked that Shauna demonstrated she is perfectly capable of maybe leading a girls soccer team from survivalist to savage. 

I have no idea what's going on with Sam. The show is still waffling between supernatural and trauma response so I'm not sure what to think yet. 

Except for Misty. That girl is a stone cold sociopath and Christina Ricci is playing the hell out of her. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Like 1
  • Love 22

Ahhh I'm so glad I finally caught up with this show, and so mad I finally caught up to this show meaning I gotta wait an entire week in between for a new episode. Srsly addictive stuff and I as fan of horror and folk horror in particular I'm really glad to see the show leaning into it, given that all things being equal they seem to be hunting/foraging for food okay, so the motivation to hunt and eat each other is pretty out there, even in basic survival LotF way. I thought it was interesting that Nat said Travis didn't believe and that the whole reason she went home to confront Misty was because of the postcard, Natalie doesn't seem to care about the keeping it a secret part and more that something she's legitimately afraid of  is bubbling back up to traumatize her life and she wants to end it for good.

I think Shauna/Taissa definitely hooked up, and that Shauna is bi, I suspect that her obsession with Jackie manifested in being able to use Jeff to be close to her and it's so so interesting given that Lynskey's first big role in Heavenly Creatures was the story of an intense female friendship that is too complex to be merely about sexual identity and romance, and ends in bloody matricide. I still can't sort out if the girls legit fell into two factions, how it sorted out. Lottie was possessed, she said Shauna had some in her too, and we know Taissa seems to reject all of it because she experienced some supernatural weirdness with her grandmothers death.It seems too easy to say one faction was under the spell of evil wood spirits or that like in LotF one group hangs on to 'morality' while the other doesn't. I'd much rather have them all be under the spell of evil wood spirits but the factions be about good ole high school girl shit, or girls out in the woods shit.

Also I love how much black humor is also baked into the show, mostly via Ricci's cheerful sadist Misty. But oh man Nat better watch it after that frazzled haired loony line. I wonder how they all found out she bricked the black box, because I can't think why else none of them trust her based on the FB so far, weird and creepy as she is.

The show is still waffling between supernatural and trauma response so I'm sure what to think yet. 

I mean the purpose is in horror is to use metaphor so I think it IS supernatural but it's also as metaphor for trauma response, it can be two things when done well I think so far here it is, especially since we've seen that Taissa may have "inherited" from her grandmother and Sam has it from her. I can see Taissa feeling like the one time she indulged that part of her identity, she did terrible things so she won't let anyone, including herself admit, that's what is happening with Sam.

Edited by blixie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Except for Misty. That girl is a stone cold sociopath and Christina Ricci is playing the hell out of her. 

And Samantha Hanratty as young Misty! Totally knew that the owl had a video camera because that's her style.

Poor Coach...imagine waking up and finding Misty standing over you about to touch your d***?! 😵

I think Taissa's wife is gaslighting her and putting Sam in the crosshairs.

Shauna's daughter didn't know what hit her with the convo after the party. She thought mom was going to be a pushover, big fat no to that. Aw, Jeff was trying to make an effort. 

• Love 12

I don't know why Coach Scott played Misty like that. If he's worried about poisoning, just don't accept any more food or drinks from her. I feel like his words are going to bite him in the ass later on. 

When Lottie said "it's already in you," was she talking about the spirit or the pregnancy? I feel like every time they introduce a supernatural element, there's always a rational explanation to counter it.

Nat and Travis are cute together. 

Callie is a little bitch. Wearing the Yellowjackets uniform was shitty. She almost redeemed herself with the "You're not fine" talk, but lost me when she threatened Shauna. I'm glad Shauna went full savage mode and gave her an amazing verbal bitch slap. 

Jackie is useless as fuck and pretty dumb to boot. Great idea. Holding a seance when everyone is already scared and stressed, and you found a dead guy in the attic last week. 

Boy, Misty was reaching with drawing that symbol. I didn't see anything in the dirt and a set of random photos could be pieced together a million different ways. I'm starting to wonder if she's behind everything (the postcards, the threatening text, the lady in the tree, etc.) and wants the group back together. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12

The conversation between Nat and Travis about women being confined to their quarters during their menstrual periods during hunts was interesting.  As was Nat's snarky feminist response that that is how men explained their failures.  I see this male/female dichotomy playing out in stark horror.  The elemental folkloric themes are becoming more prominent.

It is evident that Nat and Travis became lovers and remained lovers into adulthood.  Until someone killed him.  Probably that psycho Missy.  How many people has she killed so far?  Didn't she kill another patient in her nursing home again tonight?

She is going to kill Coach Ben and he knows it.  That's why he's trying to make believe that he loves her but it won't work.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, susannot said:

It is evident that Nat and Travis became lovers and remained lovers into adulthood.  Until someone killed him.  Probably that psycho Missy.  How many people has she killed so far?  Didn't she kill another patient in her nursing home again tonight?

Misty is a sadist. not entirely sure yet whether she's homicidal. She didn't kill anyone at the nursing home, she tripped the power on the surge protector to frighten the kid & make him cry. She's gets off on seeing other people's pain. Pretty sure the tea she gave Coach wasn't fatal, just enough to make him sick. 

Nat seems to have her number so no idea why she would readily accept a gift and not immediately suspect something, especially after Misty disabled her car.

Sad that there appears to be no hope for Jackie. Interesting that her family would give her uniform to Shauna 15 years later. Realize that we've also not seen anything on Shauna's background.  Where is her family in all this? 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Detonated how? 

I think what the poster meant is Coach Scott should've drawn the line immediately, rather than gaslight Misty to put her off. Honestly telling her "I'm your teacher, it's never going to happen" is much better than leading her to believe he's biding his time til she turns 18. Maybe he was just trying to placate Misty and not hurt her feelings, but given her nature, she's not going to deal well when the truth finally comes out. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Misty is a sadist. not entirely sure yet whether she's homicidal. She didn't kill anyone at the nursing home, she tripped the power on the surge protector to frighten the kid & make him cry. She's gets off on seeing other people's pain. Pretty sure the tea she gave Coach wasn't fatal, just enough to make him sick

Now I get where the mushrooms come into play.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Am I totally romanticizing the 80s/90s, or does anyone else remember that smacking a skipping CD player or blowing on a VHS tape seemed to actually make the problem go away? I know I remember it working.

• LOL 3
  • Love 16
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Callie is a little bitch. Wearing the Yellowjackets uniform was shitty. She almost redeemed herself with the "You're not fine" talk, but lost me when she threatened Shauna. I'm glad Shauna went full savage mode and gave her an amazing verbal bitch slap.

That was awesome. I haven't really liked Shauna's character much, but I loved both the teen version and the adult version of her this week.

ETA: I watched it again. Callie's smug little "I basically invented it" in regards to Mutually Assured Destruction was particularly annoying because if that little pissant truly knew what that meant, she would know she wasn't going to like whatever Mama had to say. I will say the actress did a decent job of deflating as Shauna was schooling her.

I am torn about Jackie. On the one hand, cramps and other side effects vary from person to person, so it's highly possible she was just really unable to do some of the physical labor. When I was her age I would be in tears sometimes, and the pain was so much it would make me throw up- I can't imagine trying to get through it without painkillers. On the other hand, she's giving off some serious princess vibes, but at least she did pay Shauna a legit compliment this episode.

Teenage Taissa is so nice and caring to all the girls; it is hard to imagine she willingly did anything sinister.

So, Shauna got married in 2001 and based on my calculations, returned home in early 1998. Wonder what she did during 1998-2001?

I find the uniform gift incredibly bizarre. Of all the tokens the parents could have given Shauna, they chose the uniform? I am sure Shauna would want something a little less loaded to commemorate her dead friend. That almost seems more like a fuck you than anything else. And her 40th birthday is a weird milestone to commemorate if she died at 18ish. Was anything said that indicated she did die in the wilderness, or are we just assuming she is dead now but we don't know when?

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 10

I know it was for the pregnancy reveal, but I thought Shauna could have just skipped a period due to stress. Mine was like clockwork in high school, but many of my friends weren't so it wasn't a big deal to be irregular. Also, I thought syncing up was a myth? I'm sure I missed it, but do we know how long they've been out there at this point?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I know it was for the pregnancy reveal, but I thought Shauna could have just skipped a period due to stress. Mine was like clockwork in high school, but many of my friends weren't so it wasn't a big deal to be irregular. Also, I thought syncing up was a myth? I'm sure I missed it, but do we know how long they've been out there at this point?

Yes, it's a myth. It came about during studies of large groups of women lived together- like college dorms-and the studies noticed patterns of women menstruating at the same time. However, you've got 100+ women and periods ranging from 5-7 days long- odds are pretty good multiple women are going to be menstruating at the same time. There is also a common misconception about delayed periods due to stress. Stress cannot delay a period. Stress may (although not commonly- people get pregnant in war zones all the time) delay ovulation, which would then delay a period, but once you ovulate, that period is coming (assuming you didn't conceive that cycle) regardless of how stressed you are. The odds of all the girls but Shauna starting their periods the same week are pretty low, but I will forgive this plot contrivance.

ETA: if they had been out there for several months, they might mostly stop getting periods, due to starvation preventing ovulation, but I think at this point they've been out there 3-4 weeks. Shauna is probably around 6 weeks pregnant, where you might first start getting symptoms.

Edited by Tatum
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, Tatum said:

Yes, it's a myth. It came about during studies of large groups of women lived together- like college dorms-and the studies noticed patterns of women menstruating at the same time. However, you've got 100+ women and periods ranging from 5-7 days long- odds are pretty good multiple women are going to be menstruating at the same time. There is also a common misconception about delayed periods due to stress. Stress cannot delay a period. Stress may (although not commonly- people get pregnant in war zones all the time) delay ovulation, which would then delay a period, but once you ovulate, that period is coming (assuming you didn't conceive that cycle) regardless of how stressed you are. The odds of all the girls but Shauna starting their periods the same week are pretty low, but I will forgive this plot contrivance.

ETA: if they had been out there for several months, they might mostly stop getting periods, due to starvation preventing ovulation, but I think at this point they've been out there 3-4 weeks. Shauna is probably around 6 weeks pregnant, where you might first start getting symptoms.

I actually did skip a period once because of trauma and stress. I was extremely regular, every 4 weeks like clockwork, and only that one month did I skip it. Sounds odd and makes no sense, I know, but it happened.

• Love 6
Just now, Cinnabon said:

I actually did skip a period once because of trauma and stress. I was extremely regular, every 4 weeks like clockwork, and only that one month did I skip it. Sounds odd and makes no sense, I know, but it happened.

You can't actually "skip" a period. You just normally ovulate around the 2 week period and that time you did not ovulate until like week 6. It was your ovulation that was delayed, not your period.

Just now, Tatum said:

You can't actually "skip" a period. You just normally ovulate around the 2 week period and that time you did not ovulate until like week 6. It was your ovulation that was delayed, not your period.

I know, I’ve worked in women’s health for years, lol. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

I find the uniform gift incredibly bizarre. Of all the tokens the parents could have given Shauna, they chose the uniform? I am sure Shauna would want something a little less loaded to commemorate her dead friend. That almost seems more like a fuck you than anything else. And her 40th birthday is a weird milestone to commemorate if she died at 18ish. Was anything said that indicated she did die in the wilderness, or are we just assuming she is dead now but we don't know when?

Good point.  We really don't know when Jackie dies.  That Shauna seemed to see ghost teenage Jackie last week--and the uniform gift mention this week--seems to point to her being dead.  Question is when (and I guess how).

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

OK, I just actually didn't know that (that once you ovulate, those period wheels are set in motion) until I tried to get pregnant and read up on how the cycles work, so I am always itching to tell people that. A lot of times people blame events that occurred right before (like a few days) an expected period as a reason for the delay, which is biologically impossible.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think what the poster meant is Coach Scott should've drawn the line immediately, rather than gaslight Misty to put her off. Honestly telling her "I'm your teacher, it's never going to happen" is much better than leading her to believe he's biding his time til she turns 18. Maybe he was just trying to placate Misty and not hurt her feelings, but given her nature, she's not going to deal well when the truth finally comes out. 

I didn't see it as him trying to placate her, but to protect himself. She won't try to trip or poison or otherwise hurt him (which she is doing to keep him vulnerable and reliant on her) if she thinks he returns her feelings. It's all going to blow up in his face if (let's be real, when) she realizes he's lying, but for now it buys him enough time to recover and get stronger.

• Love 17

I must say I’m a little surprised that Shauna apparently rawdogged Jeff with the way our generation constantly had condom use/HIV prevention/teen pregnancy prevention drilled into our heads.😂

I’m going to chalk it up to them both being virgins at the time of the first hookup.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

When In was in Marine Corps Basic training, most of us did not have periods at all. Something made us not ovulate

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I didn't see it as him trying to placate her, but to protect himself. She won't try to trip or poison or otherwise hurt him (which she is doing to keep him vulnerable and reliant on her) if she thinks he returns her feelings. It's all going to blow up in his face if (let's be real, when) she realizes he's lying, but for now it buys him enough time to recover and get stronger.

That was exactly my take too, and I thought he was so smart for doing it. I don't think it's as simple as just refusing any food or drink she might hand him in future. She might sneak poison into something someone else gives him. He has to sleep sometimes and she could do anything then. What I found really dark and compelling about that scene is that if this were a normal girl and a normal back-home situation, he would be obviously a predator who's grooming her. That was a classic predator script. The way that was flipped here was incredible. He isn't the predator, she is. He has no intention of touching her, he's just trying to protect himself from further harm. He won't be able to fool her forever, probably because it is so hard for him to hide how he really feels, and it will blow up in his face then no doubt. But in that moment, it was the smart play, and much like WaltersHair said, I'm sure he didn't think they would be stuck out there all that much longer. Once they went home he'd be able to stay away from her much easier.

25 minutes ago, MCMLXXVII said:

I must say I’m a little surprised that Shauna apparently rawdogged Jeff with the way our generation constantly had condom use/HIV prevention/teen pregnancy prevention drilled into our heads.😂

I’m going to chalk it up to them both being virgins at the time of the first hookup.

No, that was definitely not their first time having sex. I'm the same generation too, and there were still plenty of teen pregnancies happening. We had good sex education at my high school and there were still two babies born when I was there (and no doubt a few abortions I didn't know about). I am surprised that he actually dared come in her after all the threatening she did, though I know that's hardly foolproof. I think the problem was that Shauna banged him that night on impulse and so neither of them were prepared and they were too young and dumb to think smart and do something safer.

When Jackie said she had an idea I was like, oh, we'll see the Jackie Shauna was talking about now, with the good ideas, and then she busted out "let's have a seance" and I smacked my forehead. Oh, Jackie. What's interesting is that her stock has fallen so far, already, that I'm not even seeing the potential for a real battle here where she's the head of one side and Tai (or someone else) is the head of another, if she doesn't figure out how to turn things around. Right now she has no power base anymore.

Shauna and Taissa had an interesting moment in the diner in the pilot and it was cool to see the beginnings of that for the teen versions.

I laughed hysterically when Laura Lee burst in yelling, "The power of Christ compels you!!" The timing of that interruption was just so perfect.

So Shauna really wasn't suspicious of Adam and it took her daughter to clue her in. I liked, too, how her daughter was actually nice with her that night and then back to being a self-absorbed teenage brat the next day. It was not pleasant but it was realistic. And Shauna showing her what mutually assured destruction really means was gold.

So, it certainly seems confirmed that everyone believes Jackie died out in the wilderness. But I can't get @BitterApple's theory out of my head that maybe the survivors left somebody alive in the woods, and that somebody might be Jackie. BTW I'm sure we all noted that the necklace has now gone back to Jackie's possession, but with so many months still to go that doesn't mean she keeps it. She was already willing to loan it out once.

I was really happy Taissa changed her mind about quitting the race, especially when I saw all the false nice things she had originally written. I am starting to finally get a bit suspicious of her wife, but I don't want to be! Heh.

Nat, you in danger, girl.

• Love 13

Maybe adult Shauna should have more scenes with her daughter instead of with Jeff and Adam. I mentioned in last week's episode topic that I mostly fast-forwarded through adult Shauna's scenes but in those scenes with her daughter I actually liked her for the first time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I also loved when the first question at the seance was, "Did OJ do it?" At my high school, my teacher rolled a TV in so we could watch the verdict announced live. There were cheers, boos, gasps, and then loud arguments. Even after the verdict (in October 1995), it remained a hot topic of discussion for the rest of the school year, so a girl asking that question in the summer of 1996 felt very relatable.

• Love 14
On 12/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, BitterApple said:

Boy, Misty was reaching with drawing that symbol. I didn't see anything in the dirt and a set of random photos could be pieced together a million different ways. I'm starting to wonder if she's behind everything (the postcards, the threatening text, the lady in the tree, etc.) and wants the group back together. 

Not to mention if those photos had been arranged any other way than the haphazard way they were arranged by Misty, the lines wouldn't have connected that way and formed that symbol. I'd have thought Nat would've been smart enough to question that.

• Love 7

Nat didn’t question it because she could see why Misty was laying out the photos the way she was. There were multiple photos of different areas of the floor with some overlap, so she was laying them out accordingly.

I did think she was reaching with how she connected the candle marks though. Natalie seems to have been a believer in “that shit,” while Taissa and Travis were not. Whether Misty believes or is just using it because she knows Nat does is still up for debate. Now that they have called Shauna, I will be interested to see which camp she is in.

• Love 7

I'm wondering if they're leading us to believe Tai has developed multiple personality disorder. When she's mom, she's the good one. During her speech, she glanced over to her wife and I swear she did a character switch to tough, anything goes Tai. It reminds me of Split a little.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

When Jackie said she had an idea I was like, oh, we'll see the Jackie Shauna was talking about now, with the good ideas, and then she busted out "let's have a seance" and I smacked my forehead. Oh, Jackie. What's interesting is that her stock has fallen so far, already, that I'm not even seeing the potential for a real battle here where she's the head of one side and Tai (or someone else) is the head of another, if she doesn't figure out how to turn things around. Right now she has no power base anymore.

It was a tone deaf suggestion (and much of Jackie's behavior post crash has been tone deaf), but I think she was trying to bring slumber party vibes to the group, kind of like the dance party at the beginning. She is in complete denial over how serious their situation has become. I think she took Shauna's advice as like, let's try and make this "fun". Her biggest worry at this point is being bored and uncomfortable. When she said, I just can't get into this living off the land thing- Jackie, no one (except Misty, but they don't know about that) is into this! Everyone is miserable. They just chose to do something productive like gather food sources and keep the campsite clean rather than sit and bitch about how much everything sucks. Anyways, it was a terrible idea, but I think her motivation was on the right track- improving morale.

The character named Mari was kissing Jackie's ass in the dollhouse episode and is now openly hostile to her. Everyone just sat there stone faced (except Shauna) when Jackie was struggling with the water bucket.

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

So Shauna really wasn't suspicious of Adam and it took her daughter to clue her in. I liked, too, how her daughter was actually nice with her that night and then back to being a self-absorbed teenage brat the next day. It was not pleasant but it was realistic. And Shauna showing her what mutually assured destruction really means was gold.

This really surprised me. Shauna can be forgiven for not thinking Adam specifically has targeted her (because we actually don't even know that he has, although I certainly suspect it), but until Callie pointed it out, Shauna acted like it truly never occurred to her that people might know who she is, without her telling them, and more importantly, might not let on that they know. I suppose usually when Shauna is approached by a rubbernecker (and we know she has been), they probably out themselves right away asking her intrusive questions. And Shauna doesn't seem like someone who trusts people very easily or makes a lot of friends. 

I wonder (mostly for personal reasons, because I have a preteen girl), if Callie blackmailing her mother so explicitly is really par for the course. I mean, I can see a self righteous indignation- you're cheating on dad, and you're worried about ME staying out past 12? or something. Or even being angry that her mother is cheating. Or feeling like her father should know. But to so coldly and smugly leverage your father's potential humiliation and your mother's betrayal (the way Callie must see it) to stay out a little later at night and make a few trips to NYC? That is...something else. As much as I am glad she got smacked down, I kind of wish Shauna had just called her bluff and said, okay, tell him. Tell him now, to see if Callie would back down on her own. That said, Shauna's smackdown was SO MUCH fun to watch. Especially pointing out that Jeff would probably date girls close in age to Callie, which is sadly so true.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Maybe adult Shauna should have more scenes with her daughter instead of with Jeff and Adam. I mentioned in last week's episode topic that I mostly fast-forwarded through adult Shauna's scenes but in those scenes with her daughter I actually liked her for the first time.

Agree. Shauna's scenes with both Jeff and Adam are super boring.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Tatum said:

It was a tone deaf suggestion (and much of Jackie's behavior post crash has been tone deaf), but I think she was trying to bring slumber party vibes to the group, kind of like the dance party at the beginning. She is in complete denial over how serious their situation has become. I think she took Shauna's advice as like, let's try and make this "fun".

Yeah, the motivation behind it was correct and was what Shauna had told her was her strength, making everyone feel better. And certainly it's important to keep spirits up in their situation. Where she failed was in not realizing that inevitably someone would ask a really downer question about their chances of survival that would ruin the fun and make everyone sad and worried again.

3 hours ago, Tatum said:

But to so coldly and smugly leverage your father's potential humiliation and your mother's betrayal (the way Callie must see it) to stay out a little later at night and make a few trips to NYC? That is...something else.

Obviously, blackmailing your mother is never a good thing. But there was also something very teenage about it, because of what her demands were. She could have asked for a lot more, and the fact these were her demands is probably how she justified it to herself. It seems she has an earlier curfew and more restrictions than some of her friends and her boyfriend, so to her she was just asking to get what they get and it's really Shauna's fault anyway for being an overbearing mother.

A doctor I know likes to tell a story about when he was training a young resident, and the resident was doing a rotation on psychology or something. Anyway, the resident was given a bunch of teenagers to practice psychological evaluations on. The resident diagnosed every single one of them as being a narcissist, and the doctor had to pull him aside and explain that they're not narcissists, they're teenagers.

1 hour ago, Guinnessgirl said:

I did pick up on something which could be nothing.  The word spill painted on the door of Tai's house.  Then the next scene or so her wife uses the exact word spill in reference to Tai's opponent.  Seemed a little odd to me.

I am reluctantly suspicious now of Simone, but this moment actually was fine. Taissa's opponent has been stoking all these rumors about how Taissa isn't telling the truth, which at the time Tai thought was why someone wrote the word "spill" on her door. Taissa had told her opponent that if he kept up this crap she would reveal what she knew about her daughter. In the scene you're referencing, they were looking at the mailer they'd just gotten from her opponent, which had more "Taissa isn't telling the truth!" mudslinging on it. So Simone then commented that maybe it was time Tai "spill" about her opponent, quoting what had been painted on the door. (The captions put that word in quotes, by the by.) It was natural wordplay.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Tatum said:
On 12/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, BitterApple said:

I find the uniform gift incredibly bizarre. Of all the tokens the parents could have given Shauna, they chose the uniform? 

This discussion reminds me of something similar. When my husband  was in junior high, his friend was killed. The mother was distraught, of course. She gifted my husband (as a kid) her son's bike. It must be something psychological with parents who lose children; who knows? The difference was, it was given right away, not years later.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I actually I had my period longer than 7 days, because I was stressed and then it stopped for a week and a half and started back up again,

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It is possible. My best friend's hair is a similar length to Natalie's, and it just doesn't grow beyond that length. She hasn't had a haircut in two years because of the pandemic and it is no longer today than it was then.

I thought while watching that Misty's hair looked longer, but I didn't go back to compare, and I could just be mixing it up with adult Misty's hair which is shorter. I'm sure there was at least one pair of scissors somewhere in all the luggage. If the girls are mostly trimming each other's hair but not bothering with Misty, that would be a nice little subtle hint of how her stock is falling again. Van has been kinda mocking her now, after being all "we'd be fucked if Misty weren't here" the first night.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

It is possible. My best friend's hair is a similar length to Natalie's, and it just doesn't grow beyond that length. She hasn't had a haircut in two years because of the pandemic and it is no longer today than it was then.

I thought while watching that Misty's hair looked longer, but I didn't go back to compare, and I could just be mixing it up with adult Misty's hair which is shorter. I'm sure there was at least one pair of scissors somewhere in all the luggage. If the girls are mostly trimming each other's hair but not bothering with Misty, that would be a nice little subtle hint of how her stock is falling again. Van has been kinda mocking her now, after being all "we'd be fucked if Misty weren't here" the first night.

You know speaking of that, I wonder if they are going to (or if they already have) CGI the girls' bodies at all to show weight loss. (By already have I mean they are making the actresses look heavier at the beginning on purpose). Mostly I wonder because the girl hanging from her ankles in the pilot is really thin, and that body type would eliminate about half the girls we see milling around.

I would have to imagine it has been at least 4 weeks since the crash, if Shauna has a missed period and early pregnancy symptoms, and we are assuming the pregnancy is the result of the tryst right before the plane takeoff. Then again, pregnancies in TV world often work differently than in real life so maybe it's still only been a week or 2.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

They said something about having been out there for weeks, so I think at least three or four. The tone made me this 6-8, but it also seems like Travis hasn't dealt with the period issue before. Add in though that this many girls would have had at least some supplies for periods, which may have seen them through an early month or two, and the talk of "syncing" which (true or not) people think requires several weeks to months of close association, and I'm putting it at a couple months they've been out there. No one was really talking about rescue any more and they mostly seem to have regular chores. Travis and Nat are a team now. There seem to be a lot of clues that they've been there a while. Even Coach's healing leg. That wasn't going to happen overnight.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I am really intrigued by the idea that the survivors left some people behind in the mountains, that seems like it might be even more dramatic then murdering people for food. Of course, we know that they did murder people for food, but I feel like there has to be something else that happened out there. 

Coach Scott is probably thinking that the wolves are looking pretty good right about now. Poor guy, has to try and pretend to be into Misty just to keep her from going full Misery, no one is having a great time in the flashbacks but he might win the prize for having the very worst time. It is interesting that his "I love you, but we have to keep it a secret until your legal!" speech did seem like something a teacher would say to a teenager they were creeping on, except here its the student who's the creep. 

Jackie doing things like having dance parties and sleepovers seems like she's in denial over their situation or is just an idiot, and while the denial might be real, she is at least keeping everyone calm by playing this off as a fun adventure and not a desperate survival situation. We seemingly get conformation that Jackie is dead, or at least that she isn't around, but that makes me wonder if she is going to be the person behind everything.

This show is so creepy, bless it for also adding in bits of comedy, like everything with grown up crazy ass Misty or Laura Lee breaking into the séance. "The power of Christ compels you!" 

So I guess Shauna really is pregnant? Is the secret that they raised a feral child and left it behind? I loved when her shitty daughter tried to blackmail her and she turned it right around. "Oh sweetie, you cant scare me. I know what human flesh tastes like." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
On 12/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, calliope1975 said:

Although there are some studies claiming period synching is a myth, there are some that show it is possible.  There are no definitive studies, but I can attest that living in a sorority house synched all of us up within months.  Even people on the pill synched.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:43 PM, MCMLXXVII said:

Even with all of the HIV prevention, sex ed classes, etc, I absolutely had sex without condoms, more than a few times.  Luckily never got pregnant but I was so dumb then.  I was a teenager and careless.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:08 PM, Black Knight said:

I was really happy Taissa changed her mind about quitting the race, especially when I saw all the false nice things she had originally written. I am starting to finally get a bit suspicious of her wife, but I don't want to be! Heh.

I am suspicious of the wife too, something is off there... 

I was so bothered by the paint - so it is spilled all over the floor under the bed, and then just plopped on the kitchen table??  Uugh put it on a paper towel or something!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I remember theorizing to my mom after episode 1, "I bet Shauna's pregnant and they eat the baby in the woods." (Satisfied that I'm at least half accurate.) It immediately seemed like a dark show and I went to the darkest timeline!

Without access to medical care I just assumed that the baby could have easily died of natural causes and not been killed for food. Although I suppose they could have still eaten the baby even if it had died of natural causes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, Nicmar said:

I actually I had my period longer than 7 days, because I was stressed and then it stopped for a week and a half and started back up again,

That happened to me twice, a few years ago.  I’ve also had it delayed, and my already agonizing cramps would be even worse. So, I wouldn’t be able to help out for a few days.  

• Love 2