Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Blood Hive

Pallas
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I am suspicious of the wife too, something is off there... 

I was so bothered by the paint - so it is spilled all over the floor under the bed, and then just plopped on the kitchen table??  Uugh put it on a paper towel or something!

One thing that surprised me is how Tai didn't consider that someone other than Sammy may have painted the word. The letters didn't have a childlike quality to them and it looked too high up on the door to be within his reach. Not to mention, if he had time to do all that, then they're clearly not monitoring him as well as they should. You'd also think someone in Tai's position would have security cameras outside her home, but apparently not. If she's lax in that area, maybe the "lady in the tree" broke in and planted it while they were out trick or treating. Or is Simone the culprit? Maybe she painted the door to get Tai to drop out of the race?

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Or is Simone the culprit? Maybe she painted the door to get Tai to drop out of the race?

I'm so conflicted. When they found the paint under the bed, I immediately thought, "Well, if it's not the boy it must be Simone." But the timing seems a bit off. When they first found the word written on the wall, Simone was combative and wanted Taissa to go dirty in return. It wasn't until they found the paint under the bed and the kid flipped out that she changed her tune. If she were the one who painted the wall to get Taissa to drop out, shouldn't she have been hitting the "drop out" thing a bit earlier? It does seem reasonable enough that seeing how her son reacted turned her around, and so she's just a concerned mother and not secretly plotting.

I realized there is an important, subtle point to what Shauna said about Jackie's family gifting her Jackie's uniform. It means they aren't suspicious of Shauna, they don't at all believe the rumors and they are satisfied with what the survivors said about the 19 month ordeal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, Tatum said:

Am I totally romanticizing the 80s/90s, or does anyone else remember that smacking a skipping CD player or blowing on a VHS tape seemed to actually make the problem go away? I know I remember it working.

And Nintendo! I blew on so many Nintendo cartridges when they weren't loading! And it always worked!

BTW, for the period discussion, personally I have found that stress makes my period come early, but that seems the less common reaction. I agree with the assessment that they must have been out there well beyond a month by now, for so many reasons. A number have been stated already, but also, Shauna would not feel the need to fake a period to keep Jackie from getting suspicious if there hadn't been enough time for two cycles. If it were just a month or less, it would be easy enough for Shauna to tell Jackie either that her period had just ended when they got on the plane, or that the stress is making her a bit late. But also, it really would take more than one cycle for the girls to go through the supplies they had on hand. I've always overpacked even though I know perfectly well from experience how much I will really need and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that, and then there's the dead flight attendant - if she'd packed any supplies, that's all for the survivors. And the lack of food would have minimized blood flows somewhat.

I wonder if the hunting is the "purpose" that Natalie spoke of in rehab, or if there's something else to come. One thing that strikes me is that even though Natalie said she lost her purpose afterwards, she still does not seem to long for those days in the way Misty definitely does and Shauna somewhat seems to. On that, Taissa and Natalie seem to be in accord.

With Jackie, I noticed that even though she can be a princess and clueless, she was savvy enough to know that if she accepted Shauna's offer to take the bucket, that would be the end, and so she better suck it up and carry the bucket the remaining distance. (I think Shauna was genuinely concerned and wanting to be helpful to Jackie, there, but all the same, with the other girls watching it would have been a terrible mistake to accept Shauna's offer.)

Things seem to be going pretty well for the survivors right now, buuuuuuuuut it's not winter yet. Our generation played Oregon Trail, too. We remember how the hunting became non-existent at a certain point. LOL Donner Party, here we come!

• Love 7
On 12/12/2021 at 4:26 AM, paulvdb said:

Nat has Misty listed in her phone as "Don't pick up".

I missed that.  Good catch. 

On 12/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, Tatum said:

Teenage Taissa is so nice and caring to all the girls; it is hard to imagine she willingly did anything sinister.

I think there's a girl back home with her leg in a cast that might disagree with that characterization.  

On 12/15/2021 at 5:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am really intrigued by the idea that the survivors left some people behind in the mountains,

This never occurred to me until I read it here.  I bet this is the route they go.  I just read where this show was renewed for another season.  This route opens up all kinds of possibilities for the casting of more adult roles. 

20 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Without access to medical care I just assumed that the baby could have easily died of natural causes and not been killed for food. Although I suppose they could have still eaten the baby even if it had died of natural causes.

There's a couple of sentences you don't see every day. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I know I've bitched about this before, but assuming the survivors are 6-8 weeks in, I can't believe they haven't tried to figure out where they are. Tai scoffed at Laura Lee reading the Cessna manual, but who knows. It might give instructions on how to work the radio or give an indication as to the plane's range. Obviously it can't tell them where they are or which direction to go, but it might give them a rough idea of how far they could be from civilization. Also curious as to where the dead guy was taking off from, if it wasn't the lake? 

Black Knight, to expand on your last point, it's interesting how Jackie noted everyone was getting too happy playing Summer Camp. I think they're going to get lulled into a false sense of security only for panic to break loose when winter hits.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

With Jackie, I noticed that even though she can be a princess and clueless, she was savvy enough to know that if she accepted Shauna's offer to take the bucket, that would be the end, and so she better suck it up and carry the bucket the remaining distance. (I think Shauna was genuinely concerned and wanting to be helpful to Jackie, there, but all the same, with the other girls watching it would have been a terrible mistake to accept Shauna's offer.)

I've been a bit suspicious of teen Shauna (and adult Shauna). Perhaps I am influenced by Shauna having a somewhat regular thing with her best friend's boyfriend, but, I feel like in the Shauna teen scenes in the wilderness, there is a vibe she is somewhat gratified by Jackie's new unpopularity, which may be understandable, but not particularly nice. This was the first episode I thought where she seemed to actually be a good friend to Jackie and she seemed genuinely worried that Jackie really would alienate herself past the point of no return.

8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I think there's a girl back home with her leg in a cast that might disagree with that characterization. 

She can be ruthless, no doubt, but I do believe it was an accident, and in Taissa's mind, she was mentally preparing Allie for what Allie would face in nationals, with a lower stakes setting. She has shown a lot of kindness to everyone out in the wilderness so far, which does seem at odds with how she was portrayed the pilot episode.

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Things seem to be going pretty well for the survivors right now, buuuuuuuuut it's not winter yet. Our generation played Oregon Trail, too. We remember how the hunting became non-existent at a certain point. LOL Donner Party, here we come!

Interesting thing is they must have had a full winter and a partial winter (by my count they crashed prob late May 1996 and 19 months later would put them in Jan 1998). Lots of time left for things to go sideways.

Oregon Trail!!

• Love 3

Melanie Lynskey is a great actress. She can play Shauna as a put-upon bored housewife. Then she looks like a diabolical badass. 

Sort of an out of shape early middle-age mom, then a sort of sensuous siren. 

People in the past & present underestimate her.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Melanie Lynskey is a great actress. She can play Shauna as a put-upon bored housewife. Then she looks like a diabolical badass.

I really like her. It seemed she was in every late 90s/early 2000s teen oriented movie, but always as the friend, or the sister, never the main character. But she did awesomely once a bring a baby to a bar :).

• Love 11
3 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Sort of an out of shape early middle-age mom, then a sort of sensuous siren. 

People in the past & present underestimate her.

I know several middle aged men who have massive crushes on her.

• Love 6

I have a question for anyone who is law savvy. I think most, if not all of the girls, were underage when the plane crashed. If they stayed 19 months most would turn 18 except for the JV members and the show is not (purposefully?) focusing on them. Would any records/testimony be sealed when they return because of their juvenile status? I ask because the dearth of information available to the public may be due to the sealing.

It also makes me think coach doesn't make it out. They haven't said how old Travis is, but I assume he's the same age as the rest.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I have a question for anyone who is law savvy. I think most, if not all of the girls, were underage when the plane crashed. If they stayed 19 months most would turn 18 except for the JV members and the show is not (purposefully?) focusing on them. Would any records/testimony be sealed when they return because of their juvenile status? I ask because the dearth of information available to the public may be due to the sealing.

It also makes me think coach doesn't make it out. They haven't said how old Travis is, but I assume he's the same age as the rest.

Testimony? Were they in court?

How did Misty get Nat's wifi password?

Did the Nat and Misty print out all those pictures?  I find it hard to believe how easily Misty laid out them out and drew the symbol.

I am finding the storyline with the teenage girls in the woods much more interesting than the adult fallout.

Am I correct that Shauna's husband is Jackie's HS boyfriend and who impregnated her and that their current daughter is not the baby Shauna is carrying? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, WaltersHair said:

I am not real real law savvy. Being questioned during an investigation into an accident is different from being interrogated about a crime. There is also a distinction whether you are a suspect in a crime, or charged with a crime, or a witness. Age might not have as much to do with it as you would think. I don't think interrogations of an incident are subject to sealing. I think that is for juvenile convictions. 

A lot of it would be for what caused the plane to crash. Pilot error, plane malfunction, weather or interference, etc. If there is any malfeasance, or not. Someone would want to sue, we were a sue-happy society in this time too. 

I think investigations about what happened after the crash would come later. If there was anything to investigate. 

• Love 3
On 12/13/2021 at 5:56 PM, Tatum said:

You can't actually "skip" a period. You just normally ovulate around the 2 week period and that time you did not ovulate until like week 6. It was your ovulation that was delayed, not your period.

A lot of people would call that an unnecessarily nitpicky case of semantics.

• Love 7
On 12/13/2021 at 5:56 PM, Tatum said:

You can't actually "skip" a period. You just normally ovulate around the 2 week period and that time you did not ovulate until like week 6. It was your ovulation that was delayed, not your period.

Semantics. If your delay in ovulation delays your menstruation, then basically your cycle was delayed/skipped, whatever caused it. Would you say you were not in an accident if your brakes failed rather than you neglecting to apply your brakes in time and something was hit?

• Love 7
On 12/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, Tatum said:

I am torn about Jackie. On the one hand, cramps and other side effects vary from person to person, so it's highly possible she was just really unable to do some of the physical labor. When I was her age I would be in tears sometimes, and the pain was so much it would make me throw up- I can't imagine trying to get through it without painkillers. On the other hand, she's giving off some serious princess vibes, but at least she did pay Shauna a legit compliment this episode.

It would make a lot of sense for at least one of the girls to have really bad periods, but I thought what we saw proved that Jackie really wasn't unable to do anything. She seemed to be using "I have cramps!" to the person who woke her up (I forget who--Nat?) the same way she'd use that excuse to her gym teacher to get out of class that day. I took it as another nice bit of characterization showing her being exactly who she would be back home--and that being very dangerous. When she did get up she didn't look uncomfortable at all and stepped outside brushing her hair looking like she'd spent some time looking nice. 

Jackie's such an interesting character to me (while not seeming like she'd be an interesting person). She's like the perfect mixture of haughty and insecure, maybe because she's the kind of person who's so immediately considered just right in the real world. (She seems to have been made captain for that reason, for instance.) I like how they showed her watching the proceedings at the seance so closely, wanting things back on track when the girls weren't following the script as she imagined it etc. But this kind of thing is going to matter less and less as the temperature drops.

• Love 7

"Let me randomly lay photos over one another and the randomly draw lines to make a symbol!" the scientific method this aint...

Coach knows how to handle crazy. He knew it was to dangerous to shut her down while they were out there. If I were him I probably would have dangled a bit more of a carrot like "once we are out of here, I'm no longer your coach and we can be together." and then gotten a restraining order the second I got back. But it seems to have been enough, at least for now.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:40 PM, BitterApple said:

I think what the poster meant is Coach Scott should've drawn the line immediately, rather than gaslight Misty to put her off. Honestly telling her "I'm your teacher, it's never going to happen" is much better than leading her to believe he's biding his time til she turns 18. Maybe he was just trying to placate Misty and not hurt her feelings, but given her nature, she's not going to deal well when the truth finally comes out. 

She already poisoned him once. She wouldn't have dealt well when he shut her down right then and there. They are in the wilderness and he has only one leg. I would have the same instict, to let that be a problem of future-not-in-the-wilderness-me.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:18 PM, Tatum said:

ETA: if they had been out there for several months, they might mostly stop getting periods, due to starvation preventing ovulation, but I think at this point they've been out there 3-4 weeks. Shauna is probably around 6 weeks pregnant, where you might first start getting symptoms.

Seems like they are eating a lot of meat and not starving at the moment. Their iron intake should be pretty good.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:56 PM, Tatum said:

I mean if your ovulation is delayed, your period is delayed. Seems a bit overly pedantic.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:06 PM, Black Knight said:

A doctor I know likes to tell a story about when he was training a young resident, and the resident was doing a rotation on psychology or something. Anyway, the resident was given a bunch of teenagers to practice psychological evaluations on. The resident diagnosed every single one of them as being a narcissist, and the doctor had to pull him aside and explain that they're not narcissists, they're teenagers.

Well, they were both. Teenagers are narcissists, just not in the clinical sense and a doctor should learn the difference. :D

On 12/17/2021 at 3:14 AM, Black Knight said:

And Nintendo! I blew on so many Nintendo cartridges when they weren't loading! And it always worked!

That was due to faulty copy protection, that would lock out legit cartridges every so often (and not really prevent any copying, DRM has always only hurt the people buying the product legit). Taking the cartridge out of the console and putting it back in reset it. The blowing wasn't actually necessary, but we all did it at the time, of course.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2021 at 7:40 AM, NatY said:

Guys, just a quick question, who is the dead person that Tai sees as a vision as she is finishing her speech? 

Tai’s grandmother started panicking and shouting about the man with no eyes. Tai has probably internalized this and sees it now too. I should go back and check but when we see Sammy’s window covered with pictures one of them is a drawing of three people with no eyes standing over his bed.

I am not certain if I remember this correctly but I am certain that someone is terrorizing this child, and it’s probably whoever sent the postcards.

I think Misty is crazycreepy but not this person.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just finished watching this episode for the first time (I'm slowly making my way through the show so avoiding spoilers is hard!) and I was very confused as to whether we were supposed to assume that Misty set up the nanny cam so she could later send the blackmail text while Taissa and Nat were together and watch their reactions. If she had been watching Nat for a while, she would have known she called Taissa and asked her to come, and she didn't seem surprised by the fact that they got a text at the same time but she (apparently?) didn't. I still think Misty being behind the postcards and Travis's death is a huge red herring, so I'm not sure what our takeaway was supposed to be from that revelation.

I would be SO disappointed if the show ended up making Simone shady and breaking up a power couple made up of two WOCs, which is so rare to see on TV, purely for the drahhmahhz and shock value (or, worse, so we can later find out Van is alive and Taissa never got over her and they reconnect). So, I am firmly on team Simone is innocent. If she were the "lady in the tree," I feel like Sammy would have been more scared of her in the scene where they ask him about the paint.

I think what happened with Lottie was her having a schizophrenic (?) episode as she must have been off her meds for weeks by then. This is actually a clever way to toe the line between making the viewer think what is happening is supernatural or grounded in reality.

• Love 4
On 12/13/2021 at 4:38 AM, susannot said:

It is evident that Nat and Travis became lovers and remained lovers into adulthood.  Until someone killed him.  Probably that psycho Missy.  How many people has she killed so far?  Didn't she kill another patient in her nursing home again tonight?

She is going to kill Coach Ben and he knows it.  That's why he's trying to make believe that he loves her but it won't work.

I don't think Misty killed Travis.  She was with Nat for the whole day until they found his body, so she'd have had to have killed him maybe the day before and then gone back to sabotage Natalie's car and drive all the way back again, all while hoping that the body wouldn't have been found.   I suppose it is possible, but I'd think it unlikely. 

Misty didn't kill the patient in the nursing home, she just flipped off the power to the monitor so it would sound an alarm and she could scare the kids.  The patient didn't look to be in any distress over it. 

• Love 1

The Melanie Lynskey slap down of that kid was riveting. If you never saw Heavenly Creatures, do it. She is a real acting heavyweight. 

For the people who think Juliette Lewis looks rough….her body looks like a 20 year old’s. At 50 you just can’t keep the face and the butt the same. I adore her scenes with Christina Ricci. The 2 of them work flawlessly together. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1