Type keyword(s) to search

TV Tropes: Love 'em or Loathe 'em

• Start Topic

On 10/4/2019 at 4:02 PM, VCRTracking said:

I remember in Beverly Hills 90210 and Party of Five where one of the main characters are dating someone for a few episodes then they turn out to be racist and have to break up with them. Yes this does happen in real life but I can't help think the reason is the writers want the main character to end a relationship so they can get with another main character but do so in a way that it's totally not their fault. They do it for a moral, noble reason. It's not because of a shallow reason like Jerry does on Seinfeld. It's why I love the episode of Andy Richter Controls the Universe where Andy Richter's character is dating a hot girl who turns out to be anti-semitic but he's like "Maybe I can overlook this!"

This reminds me of Lionel in Dear White People 

Spoiler

who in the first season has the hots for a guy who ends up becoming an alt-right troll in the second season. By the third season it's shown that Lionel still harbors a crush on the troll so much that he uses the troll's name as a password to one of his accounts.

On 10/4/2019 at 4:31 PM, Forsaken said:

There was some racism on Seinfeld from the other side as well. Jerry and George are talking about how they call non Jewish women "Shitzka's" which means unclean or whore. Something they don't go into on the show, they just palm off the term as no big deal. 

Is that what that word means? Harry calls Charlotte that in Sex and the City. I always thought that it meant non-Jewish woman or something.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, piccadilly83 said:

This reminds me of Lionel in Dear White People 

Hide contents

who in the first season has the hots for a guy who ends up becoming an alt-right troll in the second season. By the third season it's shown that Lionel still harbors a crush on the troll so much that he uses the troll's name as a password to one of his accounts.

Is that what that word means? Harry calls Charlotte that in Sex and the City. I always thought that it meant non-Jewish woman or something.

Yeah they try and be vague about it. It does mean non Jewish woman but in a derogatory sense as in all non Jewish women are unclean/whores. 

21 hours ago, Glendenning said:

The "first bra" episode trope I loathe because the tweenage actress's growing breasts have either been obvious long before the episode (18 months in the case of Sally from Home and Away) or they are shown wearing clothing (or swimwear) designed to accommodate "tits and arse".

Gah.  I hate these type of episodes.  Add in the 'getting her period' for the first time very special episode as well esp.when it focuses on a father having to deal with buying tampons or something.

I mean, your body is just doing what is supposed to.  It is creepy, especially since these are necessarily focused on adolescent young girls.  Also there is nothing analagous for boys.  The closest I can think of is the episode of the Brady Bunch where Peter's voice was changing and Black-ish where it was all about Junior discovering masturbation.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Forsaken said:

Yeah they try and be vague about it. It does mean non Jewish woman but in a derogatory sense as in all non Jewish women are unclean/whores.

The word they use is "shiksa" which means in Yiddish, literally, a non-Jewish woman, and in literal terms it means nothing more than that.  However,  for an Orthodox Jew that would mean she was unthinkable as a marriage partner.    For people like  Jerry and George this is not the case, given that they aren't really observant and are a couple of generations away from it being a serious thing.    However those couple of generations may be family members who are still alive with strong opinions.

The best film exploration of this theme I have ever seen is  the ORIGINAL 1972 version of The Heartbreak Kid, written and directed by Elaine May:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068687/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

Brilliant and funny but uncompromisingly realistic, meaning painful and cruel to watch.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Gah.  I hate these type of episodes.  Add in the 'getting her period' for the first time very special episode as well esp.when it focuses on a father having to deal with buying tampons or something.

I mean, your body is just doing what is supposed to.  It is creepy, especially since these are necessarily focused on adolescent young girls.  Also there is nothing analagous for boys.  The closest I can think of is the episode of the Brady Bunch where Peter's voice was changing and Black-ish where it was all about Junior discovering masturbation.  

And of course, the shows' PTB seem oblivious to the fact that the teen performers themselves are now having to enact what is likely one of  the most awkward and confusing times in a person's life with the whole audience gawking about said time- regardless of whether the performers may have preferred that part of their characters' (and, by extension, their OWN) lives to have dealt with these issues in private without that needless added pressure! 

• Love 4
On 10/7/2019 at 3:25 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

The word they use is "shiksa" which means in Yiddish, literally, a non-Jewish woman, and in literal terms it means nothing more than that.  However,  for an Orthodox Jew that would mean she was unthinkable as a marriage partner.    For people like  Jerry and George this is not the case, given that they aren't really observant and are a couple of generations away from it being a serious thing.    However those couple of generations may be family members who are still alive with strong opinions.

The best film exploration of this theme I have ever seen is  the ORIGINAL 1972 version of The Heartbreak Kid, written and directed by Elaine May:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068687/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

Brilliant and funny but uncompromisingly realistic, meaning painful and cruel to watch.

Yeah, that makes more sense to me. I don't know if you're familiar with Sex and the City @Forsaken, but Harry is Charlotte's main love interest for the second half of the series. When he calls Charlotte a shiksa, he's definitely not saying it in a derogatory way.

• Love 3
On 10/9/2019 at 10:04 AM, piccadilly83 said:

Yeah, that makes more sense to me. I don't know if you're familiar with Sex and the City @Forsaken, but Harry is Charlotte's main love interest for the second half of the series. When he calls Charlotte a shiksa, he's definitely not saying it in a derogatory way.

I don't think you understand how the usage of the word works. It is derogatory as I have stated already. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Forsaken said:

I don't think you understand how the usage of the word works. It is derogatory as I have stated already. 

Yes, but as ratgirlagogo stated:

On 10/7/2019 at 3:25 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

Perhaps it means different things to different people.

Non- Jewish temptress, I get; forbidden fruit, I get; sexy non-Jewish woman, I get; dirty whore? That is a whole 'nother level of categorization to me and I have a hard time exchanging it for "shiksa" in every context I've heard the term used.

For what it's worth, this source says it's always a slur, whereas this article goes more into its changing definitions over time.

Sorry for continuing to go off topic.

Edited by piccadilly83
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Glendenning said:

Just an observation but the earlier reference to Linda Hamilton type muscles indicates the average age of the posters here, as The Terminator is almost 40 years old, Even Terminator II will be thirty in two years.

Stop making me feel old.

• LOL 14
4 hours ago, Glendenning said:

Just an observation but the earlier reference to Linda Hamilton type muscles indicates the average age of the posters here, as The Terminator is almost 40 years old, Even Terminator II will be thirty in two years.

That data's almost as tough to stomach as the series! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

Perhaps it means different things to different people.

Non- Jewish temptress, I get; forbidden fruit, I get; sexy non-Jewish woman, I get; dirty whore? That is a whole 'nother level of categorization to me and I have a hard time exchanging it for "shiksa" in every context I've heard the term used.

For what it's worth, this source says it's always a slur, whereas this article goes more into its changing definitions over time.

Sorry for continuing to go off topic.

The point in the end is why does it matter if she is non Jewish? She isn't really forbidden either, maybe for marriage due to family racism but sex can be had with her because she is an unclean Shiksa and it doesn't matter one way or the other. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

In olden tymes (before the internet) when someone wanted information, they looked it up in a *phone book* and then rip the page out and go off on their schemes.

That trope always irritated me. I mean, what a dumb, douche-y thing to do. That, and smashing a piggy bank (dude, just undo the cork at the bottom!!).

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

In olden tymes (before the internet) when someone wanted information, they looked it up in a *phone book* and then rip the page out and go off on their schemes.

But didn’t they also circle things in marker in case they forgot....

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

That trope always irritated me. I mean, what a dumb, douche-y thing to do. That, and smashing a piggy bank (dude, just undo the cork at the bottom!!).

Ah, back in the day when folks actually needed to save coins for stuff besides parking meters! Well, it also worked for to solve Rubix cubes rather than just keep screwing around for the combo! 

Back to the phone book trope. Anyone else find it hilarious that episode of the Rockford Files when Jim was trying to find a woman's phone number and he found it listed in the phone book- under her FIRST name only?!What  woman with a brain ever did THAT?!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Not to defend ripping out pages, but I remember when new phone books appeared at the end of the driveway every few months, so I could see why people thought they were replaceable.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Lugal said:

Not to defend ripping out pages, but I remember when new phone books appeared at the end of the driveway every few months, so I could see why people thought they were replaceable.

I grew up in an apartment complex where they would just leave a pile of phone books by the mailboxes (which were all together on a wall) so it was a crap shoot whether you were getting a phone book or not. There were never enough for all the units, or someone was taking more than their share for some reason, maybe because they had a tendency to rip out pages. hahaha

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Back in the days before cell phones and storing numbers on your phone, someone would say "I need to call Jimmy's teacher" and then proceed to just DIAL the number.    Apparently they either called Jimmy's teacher a lot so had the number memorized* or somehow miraculously knew every single phone number they would ever need so never needed to look it up.   You only ripped pages if 1) you were a bad guy or 2) falsely accused and desperately trying to find the one person who could prove your innocence.

*one drawback to cell phones is no one remembers numbers anymore.   If I need my husband's number for something, I have to look it up on my phone.   Whereas, I think I still remember my dad's landline number from when I was in college.    I called A LOT.   Sometimes for money.   Okay, mostly for  money and food.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Lugal said:

Yes that's my memory too.  Which made it all the weirder when we watched an episode of Our Miss Brooks (which ran in the early 1950's) and the whole plot was that today was New Phone Book Day, when the man from the telephone company would come to the house and deliver the new phone book - but ONLY if you surrendered your LAST year's phone book (yes he had a clipboard with which he had to check off each household)!  which of course Miss Brooks and her landlady didn't have since they had lent it to somebody - but who?  and the crosstown hunt as everybody tried to remember where they had put last year's phone book, who had borrowed it, where they went, etc.

This was SO bizarre to me and Mr Rat since neither of us remembered this ever being a thing. My parents like his are dead so we couldn't really ask anyone about it.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6

In the U.S., before the break-up of Bell Telephone in 1982, phone books used to be compiled, printed and distributed annually. Here's an article that cites TV's page-ripping trope as a real-life problem. Bell would commission phone booth phone book checkers, to look for missing pages. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

We still get yellow page phone books (not Bell Yellow Pages, but different books published by random companies) delivered, sometimes several a year. I don't want them. They no longer have coupons in them, and I look everything up on the Internet anyway.

Also, they aren't big enough to use as booster seats for children. (My grandparents used to use their big city phone books for that.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Back in the days before cell phones and storing numbers on your phone, someone would say "I need to call Jimmy's teacher" and then proceed to just DIAL the number.

That reminds me - TV (landline) phones must not have the ability to program numbers into them, because characters always punch the whole series of numbers, rather than selecting a pre-set, even when calling someone they speak to regularly.  I was disproportionately tickled while watching a scene in an episode of Major Crimes in which Sharon was calling her son because I noticed Mary McDonnell was pushing the buttons on the cordless phone that would scroll through and select a programmed number from the phone's memory rather than pushing a string of numbers.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Person whose family member was recently murdered or died some other way, a woman who was raped, someone who has recently suffered some other terrible tragedy: "You don't know what I'm going through!"

Cop, medical professional, lawyer, private detective, psychic MELINDA GORDON, some other type of person who is supposed to be helping but instead decides to scream: "YES I DO BECAUSE IT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!"

Bonus points if the cop/doctor/etc. sobs and makes it all about themselves, gets so worked up their partner has to tell them to back off, and then storms off. Double triple points if the thing that happened to them happened like twenty years ago and not very recently like it did to the person they're screaming at.

One of my very least favorite tropes and it was very popular in the late nineties and early aughts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Back in the days before cell phones and storing numbers on your phone, someone would say "I need to call Jimmy's teacher" and then proceed to just DIAL the number.    Apparently they either called Jimmy's teacher a lot so had the number memorized* or somehow miraculously knew every single phone number they would ever need so never needed to look it up.   You only ripped pages if 1) you were a bad guy or 2) falsely accused and desperately trying to find the one person who could prove your innocence.

*one drawback to cell phones is no one remembers numbers anymore.   If I need my husband's number for something, I have to look it up on my phone.   Whereas, I think I still remember my dad's landline number from when I was in college.    I called A LOT.   Sometimes for money.   Okay, mostly for  money and food.

TV characters don't seem to have that problem of not remembering anybody's number in the cell phone era. Lost your phone or dead battery? No problem. Just borrow a random stranger's phone and call whoever you wanted to call. No need to look up their number. The only number I could call from memory is my parents' land line. If they weren't home I would not even be able to call their cell phones, let alone anyone else.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, slf said:

Person whose family member was recently murdered or died some other way, a woman who was raped, someone who has recently suffered some other terrible tragedy: "You don't know what I'm going through!"

OMG I just watched this one yesterday. Movie called something like "Why I wore lipstick to my mastectomy" with Sarah Chalke. She had to ask for time off from her boss who she seemed very intimidated by. She asks, the boss says yes, she can't just leave, she has to blurt out "I have cancer and I'm getting a mastectomy". Music changes, everything gets all dramatic. The boss says "I know what you're going through." It doesn't sink in so she says it again really emphasizing the word "know". The ah ha moment of "you had one too!" I groaned and changed the channel. I've seen the scenario too many times to find it interesting. I had just been flipping channels anyway, not invested at all.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

No need to look up their number. The only number I could call from memory is my parents' land line.

Me too. And the only reason I remember it is because that's the phone number attached to mum's Big Y silver card and I use it when I go shopping. lol 

• Love 1

There’s something I see on tv and movies all the time where one person gets jealous because they guy/girl they’re attracted to is speaking to someone of the opposite sex.  Apparently people can’t have platonic interactions with the opposite sex.  The jealousy usually involves the person either suddenly turning hostile when speaking to the person they are attracted to or they storm out without speaking to their crush.  Keep in mind in these situations  the couple involved may not even be dating yet.  There was a Hallmark movies where the love interests are at a party and it’s not a date because they aren’t a couple yet.  The woman’s estranged brother shows up unexpectedly and she goes to embrace him.  Her lost interest just walks out of the party without a word like she cheated on him by giving a guy he didn’t know a hug.  It was ridiculous and this happens on tv all the time particularly in Hallmark type movies.  

Another trope I hate is sex with someone else after a breakup being treated as cheating.  I did not like Ross and was on Rachel’s side when she got fed up with his jealousy and smothering.  Her dumping him was a good thing as far as far as I was concerned.  Yet at the same time I did not consider his one night stand immediately after Rachel broke up with him to be cheating.  That she changed her mind the morning after and reconciled with him doesn’t change the fact that when he hooked up with the other women he truly believed he and Rachel were over.  Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars also had a treat sex with someone else after a breakup as cheating plot that annoyed me.  

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

OMG I just watched this one yesterday. Movie called something like "Why I wore lipstick to my mastectomy" with Sarah Chalke. She had to ask for time off from her boss who she seemed very intimidated by. She asks, the boss says yes, she can't just leave, she has to blurt out "I have cancer and I'm getting a mastectomy". Music changes, everything gets all dramatic. The boss says "I know what you're going through." It doesn't sink in so she says it again really emphasizing the word "know". The ah ha moment of "you had one too!" I groaned and changed the channel. I've seen the scenario too many times to find it interesting. I had just been flipping channels anyway, not invested at all.

Just ONCE I'd like an Original Victim to tell Big Boss/ Big Cop, Etc., "  Got it! Luckily, I've got plenty of family and friends I can talk about my problems with so there's no need for the two of us to dwell on this issue instead of the tasks at hand!"

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't even know the number to my own office phone. It's like the joke in Desperado - who knows the number to the car? 

We occasionally do raffles at work and you have to put your extension. I have no clue what my work extension # is. I believe there is a 4 in it and possibly a 9 I think. I usually put my name, dept and floor and hope for the best. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

There’s something I see on tv and movies all the time where one person gets jealous because they guy/girl they’re attracted to is speaking to someone of the opposite sex.

I despise this one. Especially if you haven't even asked the person out yet. They owe you no loyalty, so even if the person who is so obviously their old BFF/sibling/various platonic opposite sex friend, starts dry humping them in the middle of whatever party you are at, it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!! 

The funny thing is, if you watch any of those charming guy who turns out to be a controlling, abusive asshole (see pretty much every single Lifetime movie), you will see that every one of them starts this way. It is literally the poster child first sign you are in an abusive relationship  So, it is not cute or romantic. It is creepy and bordering on an abuser warning sign. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars also had a treat sex with someone else after a breakup as cheating plot that annoyed me.

I agree with most of your post, but with Gilmore Girls, I think more people were more upset that Lorelai dumped Luke because he wasn't putting her over his newfound daughter.  Sure he could have handled it differently, but Lorelai tried harder to communicate with him rather than unloading and issuing an ultimatum within five minutes, then making a beeline for Christopher's bed when she didn't get her way.

And Logan just assumed he had Rory broke up without bothering to call her and try to work things out, then proceeded to bang his sister's friends.

But you're right that trope is stupid.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

There’s something I see on tv and movies all the time where one person gets jealous because they guy/girl they’re attracted to is speaking to someone of the opposite sex.  Apparently people can’t have platonic interactions with the opposite sex.  The jealousy usually involves the person either suddenly turning hostile when speaking to the person they are attracted to or they storm out without speaking to their crush.  Keep in mind in these situations  the couple involved may not even be dating yet.  There was a Hallmark movies where the love interests are at a party and it’s not a date because they aren’t a couple yet.  The woman’s estranged brother shows up unexpectedly and she goes to embrace him.  Her lost interest just walks out of the party without a word like she cheated on him by giving a guy he didn’t know a hug.  It was ridiculous and this happens on tv all the time particularly in Hallmark type movies.  

Another trope I hate is sex with someone else after a breakup being treated as cheating.  I did not like Ross and was on Rachel’s side when she got fed up with his jealousy and smothering.  Her dumping him was a good thing as far as far as I was concerned.  Yet at the same time I did not consider his one night stand immediately after Rachel broke up with him to be cheating.  That she changed her mind the morning after and reconciled with him doesn’t change the fact that when he hooked up with the other women he truly believed he and Rachel were over.  Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars also had a treat sex with someone else after a breakup as cheating plot that annoyed me.  

I hate that one. I don't know why that's not a sign that they shouldn't be together. Because you know flipping out over seeing him/her talking to a member of the opposite sex. Its not even just when their not together. It happens to couples dating, engaged or married on the shows. See your wife with another man? Freak completely out because clearly she must be cheating on you. See your wife working with another man? Your husband working with another woman. Clearly their going to cheat. After it blows up and you find out your wife or husband followed you around or have been acting like a jerk to your face. Just laugh it off instead of being rightly pissed off.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I think that’s an element of every single Hallmark movie ever made. It’s ridiculous!

• Love 3
On 10/13/2019 at 9:24 PM, slf said:

Cop, medical professional, lawyer, private detective, psychic MELINDA GORDON, some other type of person who is supposed to be helping but instead decides to scream: "YES I DO BECAUSE IT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!"

I can't stand it either. I really appreciated an aversion of this on "Sisters", when Cat, the daughter of one of the women, was raped. Her mother Teddy was trying to comfort her when she lashed out with this line. There was a long dramatic pause and Teddy said.  .  ."You're right. I don't."

Wow. I cannot tell you how many people were applauding the writers decision to not go for that tired cliché.

I really hate Harsher In Hindsight. Obviously, show writers have no idea what's going to happen in the future, but I cringe at every Real Life event that makes TV scenes or stories hard to rewatch.

Examples:

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, 1993. Uncle Phil has a heart attack. 

2013, His actor James Avery dies of a heart attack.

All My Children, 1997. Maria Santos-Grey is killed in a plane crash, devastating her husband Edmund.

2001, their actors are scheduled to be passengers on American Airlines Flight 11, the first plane to strike the World Trade Center, but postpone to a later flight because she wants to sleep late.

The absolute worst example of all?

1984. Judith Barsi plays a child murdered by her father, along with her mother and sister in the MiniSeries Fatal Vision.

1988. Judith Barsi is murdered, along with her mother, by her father.

Bone-chilling.

Edited by Camille
5 hours ago, Camille said:

I really hate Harsher In Hindsight. Obviously, show writers have no idea what's going to happen in the future, but I cringe at every Real Life event that makes TV scenes or stories hard to rewatch.

Example:

All My Children, 1997. Maria Santos-Grey is killed in a plane crash, devastating her husband Edmund.

2001, their actors are scheduled to be passengers on American Airlines Flight 11, the first plane to strike the World Trade Center, but postpone to a later flight because she wants to sleep late.

Even worse?

1984. Judith Barsi plays a child murdered by her father, along with her mother and sister in the MiniSeries Fatal Vision.

1988. Judith Barsi is murdered, along with her mother, by her father.

Bone-chilling.

...whoa...:(. 

On 10/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, piccadilly83 said:

Yes this does happen in real life but I can't help think the reason is the writers want the main character to end a relationship so they can get with another main character but do so in a way that it's totally not their fault.

Character Derailment/Derailing Love Interest.

I HATE those.

"Let's take someone who was a perfectly nice person two days ago and turn them into a complete bitch/jerk/psychopath/idiot so that they can get dumped and Main Character A can hook up with Main Character B!"

• Love 12
On 10/14/2019 at 5:38 AM, Luckylyn said:

Gilmore Girls also had an instance of the first trope you mentioned. There's an episode where Zack sees Lane talking to a Korean boy during some town festival. He gets all pissy and rants about how she's moved on. I can't remember if Lane and Zack had previously been dating or what. Anyway, Lane has to eventually clarify to Zach that the boy was her cousin and not a potential love interest.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

Gilmore Girls also had an instance of the first trope you mentioned. There's an episode where Zack sees Lane talking to a Korean boy during some town festival. He gets all pissy and rants about how she's moved on. I can't remember if Lane and Zack had previously been dating or what. Anyway, Lane has to eventually clarify to Zach that the boy was her cousin and not a potential love interest.

Small correction that was Lane's uncle not her cousin. But they were broken up at the time which ironically they broke up because Zach got all jealous because Brian wrote or was working on a song for Lane (Lane had asked Zach earlier in the episode to since he wrote so many songs with girls' names but he blew it off claiming he couldn't write anything because of her name despite managing to come up with something for Lorraine) and acted like a jackass when their band were doing a showcase with music labels there. Ruining their chances with a real label. Two episodes later Zach shows how much he's matured and grown by getting all pissy and ranting after seeing Lane with the Korean guy. 

• Love 1
On 10/14/2019 at 9:25 AM, Spartan Girl said:

And Logan just assumed he had Rory broke up without bothering to call her and try to work things out, then proceeded to bang his sister's friends.

Yes, he did do that, but I don't blame him. Logan wasn't a relationship guy. He had never been in one, nor apparently was he aware of the unwritten rules. His and Rory's fight was pretty ugly. He was an ass that night and she looked pretty disgusted with him.  When he requested to take her home, she refused and let him just walk away. She didn't say, "I don't want to be around you tonight, let's talk about this when our heads are cooler." Considering the way he acted, and they way she responded, I have no problem believing Logan thought their relationship was over.

I. HATE. Christmas Creep.

I love Christmas as much as the next person and all the hype that comes with it, but save it for December. I'm sick of all the hoopla starting earlier and earlier every year, to the point that it now begins before Halloween and hate how we're so oversaturated with it that we end up being exhausted before it's even Christmas Day.

And I hate how it's happening with EVERY holiday--you see Valentine's Day merchandise in late December), St. Patrick's Day stuff in February, Easter decorations in March or late February (to be fair, Easter can come in late March), back-to-school/Halloween sales in July, etc.

AARGH.

• Love 11

We have only limited storage space and we get these things in batches. Sorry, not you personally, but I'm sick of dim-bulb customers whingeing about Christmas items being brought out in October-November and abusing people like me behind the checkout or service desk.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Glendenning said:

We have only limited storage space and we get these things in batches. Sorry, not you personally, but I'm sick of dim-bulb customers whingeing about Christmas items being brought out in October-November and abusing people like me behind the checkout or service desk.

Agreed. I get and can definitely sympathize with the complaints about putting holiday stuff out too early, but there can be valid reasons for why they put stuff out early, too. When I worked at the bookstore here in town, we would get holiday-themed knitting/crocheting/etc. types of magazines in starting in August, and that made sense, because if you want to make something for somebody for Christmas, you may need to start early so you can have it done in time. I imagine that's the case with some other stuff they put out early, too. If we did wait until after Halloween/Thanksgiving to put Christmas stuff out, then people would complain about how they didn't have enough time to buy and send things, too.

(Granted, some customers still do that even now, and act shocked that it's, like, the week before Christmas or Christmas Eve and we might actually be out of something by that point, but still.)

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Camille said:

I love Christmas as much as the next person and all the hype that comes with it, but save it for December.

I don't really like it that much because the travel is arduous. I can get away with just staying home on Thanksgiving and doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Agreed. I get and can definitely sympathize with the complaints about putting holiday stuff out too early, but there can be valid reasons for why they put stuff out early, too.

Yeah, but Lowe's don't need to be putting out xmas trees in September though.

• Love 3