Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The New Arrival

Bort
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

There are 70+ people named Rebecca Aldridge just on LinkedIn.

That's because you're not using the correct parameters.  Izzy typed in "Rebecca Aldridge top secret government sinkhole project 10,000 BC" and, boom, there she was!

• LOL 20

Has anyone else wondered why nobody wondered about 12000 year old busses, cars and parts of a weird looking building in present day LA?  Some plot holes in this thing and some weird interpersonal drama going on but I’ve been able to look past it for the most part and find it interesting.  I bet the original script was better before the suits got their hands on it. Too bad they didn’t sell it to a cable channel or Netflix...

On 10/20/2021 at 4:19 PM, theredhead77 said:

There was at least one elephant replicas from the Tar Pits shown in the first or second episode when they were panning around. If my memory is correct, it would have been from this display that was pulled in. But no, there hasn't been tar from the present day tar pits shown, and now I think about it, it's that's a bit odd (and most likely meaningless).

I think they implied that the tar pits were present though - Stoner Guy chased the camels away from a watering hole in one of the previous episodes - and told the others the story of excavating a bunch of camel fossils from the La Brea Pits. Any rainwater would accumulate on the top of the tar (because water is immiscible with oil) - making it look like a pond.

• Love 2

Finally watched this one.  Most of my irksome points have been listed, so I won't go over them here.

I could see them not dragging the snake back to camp, but maybe cut off a hunk and have the intrepid explorers eat it for dinner, rather than tear thru the MREs?  And Teen Doc (Riley?) went back for seconds?!?!  

Oh, and besides the snake, there's the sabretooth tiger that Luiz shot.  More food.

But like so many others, I'm in it for the long haul.  Despite not liking Natalie Zea much, I love the premise and I like Ty and Stoner Scott.

• Love 3
On 10/19/2021 at 9:29 PM, LittleIggy said:

Stoner Scott is still my fave.

I know, right? I expected to be annoyed by him, and instead he's a favorite. People need to start listening to him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, madmax said:

I could see them not dragging the snake back to camp, but maybe cut off a hunk and have the intrepid explorers eat it for dinner, rather than tear thru the MREs? 

Seriously, are they all vegan? Even then, someone has to know what plants are safe to eat. That snake definitely was lots of meat. Usually predators don't have good meat, but if you're starving...

I should add that I have eaten MREs. They weren't horrible, but I was starving hungry at the time, and there was a lot of trading happening.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kevvoi said:

I think they implied that the tar pits were present though - Stoner Guy chased the camels away from a watering hole in one of the previous episodes - and told the others the story of excavating a bunch of camel fossils from the La Brea Pits. Any rainwater would accumulate on the top of the tar (because water is immiscible with oil) - making it look like a pond.

Right. I was just responding to a comment about the geography of what fell in. Some of the replicas fell in, which means the sinkhole was close enough to the tarpits for those to fall in. But the actual tar pits are still present.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:26 PM, raven said:

Fake not speaking sister was definitely kidnapped. 

I missed their story, in the beginning, so they have been irritating me with the fake silent stuff.  Kidnapping would explain a lot.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:45 PM, shapeshifter said:

That bugged me too. I mean, after using Dr. Dad as a guinea pig to ascertain that the heroin wasn’t laced with anything like baby laxative or fentanyl, of course, they should have put it in a secure location for future medical use——or even mass euthanasia if they were all mauled by rabid sloths or something. 

That made me LOL.  The forums for these kinds of shows are the best! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, izabella said:

Kidnapping would explain a lot.

Just to be clear: Kidnapping is still just speculation here. We don't know for sure. 

And glad you enjoyed my death-by-sloth humor. I was afraid it was a little OTT for this forum.🙃

• LOL 3
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Just to be clear: Kidnapping is still just speculation here. We don't know for sure. 

And glad you enjoyed my death-by-sloth humor. I was afraid it was a little OTT for this forum.🙃

With all of the threats about not talking, I was suspicious. Then when the "older sister" hit the younger one I was thinking this is very much abuser vs the abused behavior.

Run, run from the sloth, because they are fast and will snarf up all of your cheetos.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I should add that I have eaten MREs. They weren't horrible, but I was starving hungry at the time, and there was a lot of trading happening.

My son brought some home for us the first time he was on leave.  Not so bad, actually.

But there certainly weren't enough of them, even before our Intrepid Explorers started scarfing them down, for the whole group down there.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, madmax said:

My son brought some home for us the first time he was on leave.  Not so bad, actually.

But there certainly weren't enough of them, even before our Intrepid Explorers started scarfing them down, for the whole group down there.

I’m not sure if Pilot Levi understands how many people survived. When he said that he could fly them all out if he fixed his plane, he seemed to under the impression that it was just the 5 of them. So eat hearty, right?

• Love 7
On 10/19/2021 at 10:14 PM, KaveDweller said:

It seems kind of crappy of Gavin to pilot another rescue mission down to pre-history. When he crashes too who will be left to take care of Izzy?

Considering the way this show is written, I'm sure Izzy will find a way to stow away on the plane. Then the whole family, and the guy Mom cheated with, will all be there. You know...for DRAAAAMA.

• LOL 8
13 hours ago, Amy Beth said:

I’m not sure if Pilot Levi understands how many people survived. When he said that he could fly them all out if he fixed his plane, he seemed to under the impression that it was just the 5 of them. So eat hearty, right?

Maybe he only planned to bring back his lover and her son.  Screw the rest of them, live with the sabretooths!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, madmax said:

Maybe he only planned to bring back his lover and her son.  Screw the rest of them, live with the sabretooths!

He was told only to "bring back my family," so the rest of them I guess are meat. I have to admit though that Levi is hot.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Amy Beth said:

I think in the last episode they talked about multiple trips. But now that they know how dangerous going through the sinkhole is, I would imagine there'd be a bit of a fight for who's on the first flight. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I think in the last episode they talked about multiple trips. But now that they know how dangerous going through the sinkhole is, I would imagine there'd be a bit of a fight for who's on the first flight. 

Maybe they will just start a new civilization and vow to do better by the planet, not destroying it, again - they did mention how much better was to breath that air. Except they would destroy everything. Then we have a new version of Terra Nova

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Maybe they will just start a new civilization and vow to do better by the planet, not destroying it, again - they did mention how much better was to breath that air. Except they would destroy everything. Then we have a new version of Terra Nova

Or enjoying seeing stars, which are quite the sight without light pollution.

• Love 4

The sloth will die from either an intestinal blockage from all the bags it ate, or heart disease from eating all the junk food. Are the current sloths really related to that thing? I'm pretty sure they rarely come down from their trees, and then only to poo. (I watch a lot of zoo shows).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

And the snark on the show continues. Once again, I kept yelling at my television at stupid decisions characters made.

Person who slipped to my Dislike List? Riley. Her attitude toward Scott when he said he was terrified of water made my blood boil. Girl, this guy has been 10x more useful than Wolf Snack, and you treat Scott with such disdain? Get your priorities straight and let go of the fact that he ran away and left you in that first episode when Wolf was eating Wolf Snack.

Wolf Snack has been pretty useless, too. What has he done in these four episodes? Nothing. Even when Riley was being dragged underwater by the Prehistoric Snake-Eel, all he did was yell her name and watch. Seriously, what a useless and boring character to have as the "main teen". Also, can I point out that Wolf Snack is 18, at the most, and Riley and Scott are at LEAST in their early twenties, since Riley is in college and Scott was working at the Tar Pits? And they're acting like they're all the same age? I get the ACTOR is, like, 25, but his character isn't so stop acting like he's the same age as the other two.

The La Brea Crew have both acted like they're on a day vacation AND acted like they've been there for months. They act like they're both in danger AND not in danger. 

Cop Lady may be the most annoying of the La Brea Crew. Her attitude is supposed to be all gung-ho, but she's making a stink face, as if the other people she's with are the problem. Her attitude toward Lily (the only reason I remember her name is because they've said it 60+ times in this episode alone) was so bad. No wonder her son hates her; she doesn't know how to interact with people. 

Once again, the LA stuff? Not super interesting. But I did laugh at how Psychic Dad was able to waltz through a government building and start taking things without anyone noticing. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

For every sci-fi mystery show that wants to be the next Lost, I wish that the writing of the story can be just as tight. Implausibility is inherent in a sci-fi show, but since the audience is living in the here and now, what happens on screen needs to be relatable to today's world or there needs to be an explanation. 

Case in point, this Dr. Aldridge character and the descender aircraft. The Government did not mind that its super secret aircraft, of which only two were build, was taken by someone privately? And if she made improvement to the aircraft, what kind technical expertise did she have and what kind of manufacturing facility that she had access?

• Love 4
On 10/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, theredhead77 said:

Right. I was just responding to a comment about the geography of what fell in. Some of the replicas fell in, which means the sinkhole was close enough to the tarpits for those to fall in. But the actual tar pits are still present.

So I guess that means when the tar pits are excavated in present time, they will find a few 2021 automobiles, a bus and a bag of heroin? Awesome!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Useful things: water filters, bow and arrow, guns, shelter, protein bars. Nope, let's send in an eye candy pilot with a few MREs. The first thing I would look for is water, then you'll need to dig a pit because giardia is coming.

Toothpaste and toothbrushes. Lotion. Hairbrushes.

Edited by nokat
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Depends on where Stoner Dude stashed the heroin stash. 😆

Heheheh.

For the record, I am officially side eyeing Drug Pusher being all that concerned about where the stash is. They've fallen into a time rift, people are being eaten by dire wolves. His supplier was probably written off the heroin as, you know, lost in the giant sinkhole. If they don't find it (and it was pretty fucking stupid of Stoner Guy to bury the only painkiller) then what? He kills Stoner Guy? And then what?

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

and it was pretty fucking stupid of Stoner Guy to bury the only painkiller

I know. It's a very effective painkiller. So far we haven't seen an addict. Maybe Stoner Guy but heroin isn't his thing.

10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Wasn't the rugby team from Uruguay whose plane crashed in the Andes talked about in an earlier episode?

They can't even figure out how to kill a sloth. They will be eating each other.

I have to remind myself that these people are mostly from LA. I'm near and know we aren't the brightest bulbs.

• LOL 5

A few things about the show in general:

.  Why is Eve always saying "Run!" whenever they face a hungry animal?  Can't she say anything else?  Come on writers, be more creative!

.  This show is interesting but I see it going in the same direction as other complicated storylines......the cancel bin!

.  Are the two scientists together?  It seemed the show wanted us to think that.

.  Why didn't the mute girl not want to reveal that she saw the old man?  Her sister didn't want her talking to anyone about their lives so I don't get them so far.

.  I guess this show is going to be how people live day to day and how it affects one another while trying to figure out how to get back to the present day.  Oh boy, here we go again!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Why is Eve always saying "Run!" whenever they face a hungry animal?  Can't she say anything else?  Come on writers, be more creative!

First it's always hold still, then "run!" If you do that even a chicken or rabbit will chase you. Prey runs. Predators also have their territory, so many of them within 30 square miles is unlikely. I still enjoy the show in all its badness.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2021 at 8:07 PM, willco said:

That crossed my mind, too, about eating the snake but I know personally I'd have to be super hungry before I'd eat it ! The thought just kind of grosses me out. I don't have a problem with the bunnies, though :0 

I thought the whole crossing the creek/river was stupid-- Eve stuck that stick in about a foot from the bank and decided it was shallow enough to cross ! They're lucky they all didn't sink in the middle of it & drown. And, yeah, they really aren't thinking about it being the past, if they were they'd realize that there were a lot more predators around back then and not going wading in the creek like la-de-dah ! At least look down once in a while. 

Maybe they will explain it later, but it seems to me that it should be a lot thicker with brush and there should be a lot more animals running around. Unless the show uses the other people to explain to they've already cleared the area of that stuff, I suppose.

I'm am enjoying the show, it's just that a lot of things aren't really ringing true. People aren't acting as I think they would in this situation. I can be very forgiving of the faux science, suspension of disbelief and all that. But as was mentioned above, why does the drug dealer guy even care about his herion now ? Is he ( and the others except maybe Eve & the doctor ) just not accepting the fact that they may be stuck there forever ? It's kind of weird.

So, there were actually bunnies in 10,000 BC? Maybe gigantic ones like the gigantic sloth.  I, too, thought it was crazy to toss the stick before crossing the river--not that it would be snake protection, but just for walking and probing the ground.  And heroin guy--what’s he going to do with it if Scott remembers where he buried it? Like mom said, no one there is going to buy it.  

• Love 2
On 10/20/2021 at 12:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

[Izzy, in a nano-second] Found her. Says she owns a horse ranch in San Luis Obispo. What would a rancher have to do with all this?

Same thoughts here.  She didn’t even have time to type in a name.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

So there have been 6 sinkholes so far. Very convenient that they've all landed in walking distance of the clearing even though one sinkhole was in the Mojave desert. I'm assuming since the signal was in that group of huts and also the skeleton they found in the cave.

Someone please refresh my memory--I don’t remember the circumstances of the skeleton found in the cave, and don’t really want to go back and rewatch.  

They got chased down into the cave by the bear, and Ty found a way out through the stream.  When they surfaced, they started walking out and came across the skeleton with a hole in his head, and empty pistol, and a 'Kelso Valley College' tee shirt.  That's why I personally think he's from the Mojave experiment, as Kelso Valley is a bit west of Mojave (the college is nonexistent, however).

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

My thought is that he's their daddy, but the older girl is the younger girl's mother.

Possible. Maybe incest is too much for the networks though. I watch on Hulu, this show is on one of the networks, right?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, circumvent said:

Possible. Maybe incest is too much for the networks though. I watch on Hulu, this show is on one of the networks, right?

It's on NBC.  But it's a 9 o'clock show, so incest probably wouldn't be a problem.  I mean, it's on SVU all the time.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:49 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm not sure that anything is too OTT for this forum!

On 10/26/2021 at 9:58 PM, alvajon said:

So, there were actually bunnies in 10,000 BC? Maybe gigantic ones like the gigantic sloth.  I, too, thought it was crazy to toss the stick before crossing the river--not that it would be snake protection, but just for walking and probing the ground.

I thought so too, but rabbits have evolved very little over the centuries and the ones in 10,000 BCE looked very much like the modern ones.  Vorpal Bunnies are much older.

The Pacific Shelf is very narrow, it gets real deep real fast (which is why it's so good for surfing).  There's no reason the lake or river wouldn't be the same -- 3 feet deep for a few feet then a sudden drop-off to 10 feet.  Keep the stick.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, nokat said:

Useful things: water filters, bow and arrow, guns, shelter, protein bars. Nope, let's send in an eye candy pilot with a few MREs. The first thing I would look for is water, then you'll need to dig a pit because giardia is coming.

Toothpaste and toothbrushes. Lotion. Hairbrushes.

I have been yelling at my TV since episode 1 to drop supplies.  This is frustrating the hell out of me.  Meds, weapons, vegetable seeds, tools, clothes, books on wilderness survival and every single thing that is known about that area 10,000 years ago, etc.  Maybe even a few solar chargers so they can have music once in a while.  Also, designate a place where people from the past can leave letters so that if any info comes up they can get it in the future.  Since there have been other holes that open and closed, this one will likely close too, but this way if a light appears again they can inform ppl in the present time and they can look for another sink hole, in case it doesn't happen in an inhabited area.  That should have all been day 1 activities for present day people.  DROP A DAMN SURVIVAL/COMMUNICATION CRATE ALREADY. 

And drop some weed for Stoner Guy.  Throw in some seeds too so he can keep it growing after the hole closes.   They'll probably all need it after a while to deal with their new circumstances.   

Edited by eskimo
To add
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

With shows like this I always wonder what's going on in the writers' room - do they truly not realize there are gaping plot holes and really bad dialog?  Or do they know and just don't care?  So many issues could be resolved by throw away one liners.  For example, traffic cop lady could say "I need 3 people to go with me to the ambulance to carry back the rest of the medical supplies.  Who's in?"  And then we know that's taken care of.  Car mechanic guy could make a one line comment about how weird red & silver building landed in just the right way to create decent shelter for them.  His partner could say "hey, I found a stream 5 minutes from here - let's go get water!"  And now instead of stupid useless characters we know they have shelter, water and medicine.  But then, what would we complain about here? 

On 10/23/2021 at 7:36 AM, nokat said:

The sloth will die from either an intestinal blockage from all the bags it ate, or heart disease from eating all the junk food. Are the current sloths really related to that thing? I'm pretty sure they rarely come down from their trees, and then only to poo. (I watch a lot of zoo shows).

Oh, please, please, please let WolfSnack be engulfed by a car size pile of giant sloth poo! 

If crazy old man lives in the fort village, why is he setting elaborate tiger traps 5 miles away near the crash site?  That's a long way to haul a dead giant tiger.  And why would the fort villagers go through the effort to build a giant gate - do they have giant trebuchets or trojan rabbits they need to roll in and out?  I get the big giant wall.  But why a giant gate, which, by the way, they don't even bother to latch?  All they need is a human size door. 

I'm thinking, just a guess here, that there is some healing power going on.  Otherwise, why have 3 people injured in the first few episodes, just to have them up and walking around soon after?  Especially Levi - what was the point of his arm being cut if it's not going to serve as a plot point later?  Maybe that's why the gov't is so interested in it, and all the secrecy. 

As to why no one is dropping down supplies, my only guess is because only a few people know Gavin can "see" people down there.   But you'd think at least Gavin and Izzy would be throwing a few things down there.  And, if you're going to drop down anything, drop down some paraglider parachutes & harnesses.  (And detailed instruction manuals.)  That's how you get out.  You do what the birds did - they followed the thermals up and out. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I can understand the reluctance of the authorities to drop supplies down the hole.  If word got out, the lower IQ types would be raining all kinds of useless shit down on those poor folks.  Oh, here's my old washing machine, but use it only on regular cycle; here's four tires for my '78 Pinto that fell down the hole last week, sorry I didn't get them changed in time; here's a pickup load of Dunkin' Donuts and Tombstone Pizza....  Okay, that last one works for me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

I can understand the reluctance of the authorities to drop supplies down the hole.  If word got out, the lower IQ types would be raining all kinds of useless shit down on those poor folks.  Oh, here's my old washing machine, but use it only on regular cycle; here's four tires for my '78 Pinto that fell down the hole last week, sorry I didn't get them changed in time; here's a pickup load of Dunkin' Donuts and Tombstone Pizza....  Okay, that last one works for me. 

And be sure any of the 40-year-old washing machines landlords provide are only set on 3/4 load size or they won't be able to spin, heh.

But I'm assuming (why do I still assume anything?) that the hole is better guarded than the Mona Lisa.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:19 PM, eskimo said:

I have been yelling at my TV since episode 1 to drop supplies.  This is frustrating the hell out of me.  Meds, weapons, vegetable seeds, tools, clothes, books on wilderness survival and every single thing that is known about that area 10,000 years ago, etc.  Maybe even a few solar chargers so they can have music once in a while. 

I thought... that they weren't throwing stuff, like planes or mass cargo, thru the hole because it was triggering earthquakes? Isn't that why they aren't ramming troops in?

26 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I thought... that they weren't throwing stuff, like planes or mass cargo, thru the hole because it was triggering earthquakes? Isn't that why they aren't ramming troops in?

The drones didn't cause earthquakes.  Maybe send smaller shipments of stuff, not the size of a plane.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

It would be the giant hole of Nextdoor.com!  😁

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, chaifan said:
23 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

It would be the giant hole of Nextdoor.com!  😁

Or Freecycle! I am the Freecycle Queen and mostly offer good-quality and fairly new stuff (or old stuff in like-new condition), but occasionally I offer some things that it seems like no one would want (like the 50-year-old wool Army blanket that I finally convinced my husband to get rid of last week). I expect that I will have to take them to the dump, but usually I get at least a couple of requests for these items. I also see other people offering what seems like trash to me, but apparently they get takers. 

• Love 1
On 10/28/2021 at 10:07 AM, proserpina65 said:

It's on NBC.  But it's a 9 o'clock show, so incest probably wouldn't be a problem.  I mean, it's on SVU all the time.

And it was a Quincy storyline when I was a kid!  HA!  

I am glad that others watch this wacky show!  For some reason I am fascinated by it despite the bad acting/writing.  I want to see more extinct creatures!  More giant sloths, sabretooth tigers whathaveyou.

• Love 3