Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: The Wellness Center

• Start Topic

It was kind of heartwarming to see the house celebrate Nandor's anniversary.  That's surprisingly kind of them.

LOL at the cult, though.  I was expecting for Nandor to try it for a few days and then come back, like Lazslo did when he became Jackie Daytona.
I was not expecting the feathered hair, nightly fang-pulling, and aerobics!  That was completely hilarious. 

Guillermo is such a bad-ass, but pretty cold too.  Nandor explained why he joined, but Guillermo didn't care at all. 

• Love 16

I saw this episode at New York Comic Con, as part of the WWDITS panel. Needless to say, it was a hit with the crowd. Nandor joins a cult, shedding his fangs and some of his hair, and learns to enjoy life again. Who needs a subplot?

It's a bit depressing that Guillermo is still hoping to get turned. Forget about the whole "vampire slayer blood" thing for a minute. He's been serving Nandor for eleven years. Would he really want an eternal existence, with his facilities slowly declining? I think Lazlo is the youngest of the main three, and he's fucked up beyond whatever ego he had as a human. Those eleven years haven't eroded the allure? At all?

28 minutes ago, peridot said:

Guillermo is such a bad-ass, but pretty cold too.  Nandor explained why he joined, but Guillermo didn't care at all. 

True, but it was probably the best move. The silver seat belt was a great touch. And Jan was running a full-on scam on the vampires. Speaking of her  . .  . it's a tin bit depressing seeing Cree Summer, only because I remember her from A Different World waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. She's awesome here, though. I hope Jan comes back.

Getting back to Gullermo's move . . . that was an oddly touching monologue from Nandor about his happiness. In a way, this was a poignant episode . . .with fang-pulling, full-bore aerobics and Barenaked Ladies. "One Week" is still stuck in my head.

ETA: Mirror effects were awesome. No reflections, save for the hula hoops. Outstanding work.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 8

Interesting that this was the second episode in a row where a character was rescued from a predatory creature against their will, despite their protestations that they were genuinely happy. (Last week with Colin and the siren, and this week with Nandor and Jan.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Fun episode. It was great seeing Cree Summer again. Colin Robinson dancing around in a fez and a diaper like bottom was a spark of joy I didn’t know I needed. 

For anyone curious about the wellness center name, Chiroptera is the name of the order of bats. 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

Nandor should be able to do all the things he was enjoying in the cult, without giving up  his vampirism. And Guillermo should listen better,  if he really wants to be a friend. But given his coldness, maybe he really would be happier as a vampire.

• Love 2
Just now, possibilities said:

Nandor should be able to do all the things he was enjoying in the cult, without giving up  his vampirism. And Guillermo should listen better,  if he really wants to be a friend. But given his coldness, maybe he really would be happier as a vampire.

He would need to find people to do them with at night, though.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So, what did the cult vampires actually eat?  Wasn't Nandor hungry after all that time?

That’s a good question. Also, what was Jan getting out of it? Power trip? Money from the vamps? Nandor didn’t mention paying her. 
Loved Guillermo’s mad vampire hunter skills. I was surprised too that he still wanted to be a vampire.

Colin Robinson marking his new territory: 🤢🤢🤢🤢

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, possibilities said:

But then, think of what Nandor was like back before he was a vampire for 700 years (which he only became depressed about a month ago). 

This is why Guillermo is a surprisingly good match for him. He actually turned out to be the other warrior in the house.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

What did she say at the end, was it "Back to the drawing board"?

It was nice to see them all trying to cheer Nandor up. And the Guide seems to have become a permanent fixture at the house. Guillermo attacked an entire nest of Vampires and managed not to kill any of them. But then Jan wiped them all out anyway. Maybe she was getting off on the power trip?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

True, but it was probably the best move. The silver seat belt was a great touch. And Jan was running a full-on scam on the vampires. Speaking of her  . .  . it's a tin bit depressing seeing Cree Summer, only because I remember her from A Different World waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. She's awesome here, though. I hope Jan comes back.

I kept thinking it was her but waited until the credits. She looks old but I haven't seen her since Different World and we ALL look old now! 

• Love 5

Nandor is damn hot! Not the sharpest tool in the box, though. Yes, he was happy, but he would have followed the others to that roof, so I'm glad Guillermo rescued him. I thought his depression was an interesting touch. Being inmortal can't be easy, vampire or not. The world around you changes, but you don't, and in addition to being the oldest in the house, he's always been the most melancholic.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

Nandor is damn hot! Not the sharpest tool in the box, though. 

Nandor is a himbo, and I am here for it.  The whole wardrobe and makeup departments need raises after this episode.  I am also going to need some extended footage of those workout routines.  

• LOL 14
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

Nandor is damn hot! Not the sharpest tool in the box, though. Yes, he was happy, but he would have followed the others to that roof, so I'm glad Guillermo rescued him. I thought his depression was an interesting touch. Being inmortal can't be easy, vampire or not. The world around you changes, but you don't, and in addition to being the oldest in the house, he's always been the most melancholic.

He is one fine looking man! 

It didn't occur to me last night that Nandor would have followed the others out until I thought about it this morning. Not sure what Jan's scam is, maybe she thought the group after being attacked were no longer going to be easily manipulated? Or maybe she was just tired of them? 

• Love 6

I never expected  a shoutout to Frasier from a vampire so when Nandor muttered "Good Night Seattle, and good mental health" I completely lost it. 

I

LOVE

THIS 

SHOW !!!!

Now all that I need is a Nadja Doll for my joy to be complete. And another episode with Mark Hamill.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

He is one fine looking man! 

It didn't occur to me last night that Nandor would have followed the others out until I thought about it this morning. Not sure what Jan's scam is, maybe she thought the group after being attacked were no longer going to be easily manipulated? Or maybe she was just tired of them? 

I think that's pretty standard for cult leaders--when they see signs they're losing control they'll often just bring everyone down with them or destroy them to save themselves. Like Jonestown. Though in Jan's case she didn't need to die with them.

• Love 8

OMG Nandor in short shorts. And I thought the workout clothes at the gym were hilarious. And the hair!

I wonder why some of the vampires look like Nosferatu and the rest of them just look normal. Like that one random guy with the pointy ears in this episode. 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

OMG Nandor in short shorts. And I thought the workout clothes at the gym were hilarious. And the hair!

I wonder why some of the vampires look like Nosferatu and the rest of them just look normal. Like that one random guy with the pointy ears in this episode. 

We've seen them before. I thought it was hysterical! 

Edited by libgirl2
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Nandor is a himbo, and I am here for it.  The whole wardrobe and makeup departments need raises after this episode.  I am also going to need some extended footage of those workout routines.  

I’ve seen pics of Kayvan Novak out of character and he is totally hot! 😏

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That aerobics scene was EVERYTHING!  I really needed that laugh this week.  

Singing the lyrics to One Week to Guillermo to prove he was human - love it!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I’ve seen pics of Kayvan Novak out of character and he is totally hot! 😏

No argument from me there. Wowsa, the man is fine! 

Just now, TexasGal said:

That aerobics scene was EVERYTHING!  I really needed that laugh this week.  

Singing the lyrics to One Week to Guillermo to prove his was human - love it!

I was singing that song all this morning. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Funny as always, but I also liked how it touched on something that I would always think would be a downside to immortality (vampire or otherwise.)  No matter how great your life could possibly be, I do think most everyone would get to a point where it would just be so tiring, unfulfilling, and boring, and I can see a depression like reaction coming out of it.  So, despite the great humor, I actually did feel for Nandor and while he was being his normal daft self, I could see why he would fall for the cult's spiel and make himself believe that a "normal" life could be possible again.  I also like that they haven't already wrapped this entire story up yet (Nandor's feelings/depression) and I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

Guillermo certainly continues to be one hell of a badass.  Loved the fight scene and how it all filmed: special shoutout to seeing him use that hoola hoop to take out a vamp and the camera pans to show the mirror, where you can't see the vamp's reflection (but you do see the mark on the wall she leaves!) 

The rest of the gang actually being into Nandor's anniversary each year is surprisingly touching.  Sure, some of it might be just so they can celebrate something (and bellydance.  Thanks for that image, Colin), but they really did look like they were all happy for Nandor as well.  Aww!

Loved the different version of the opening song in the credits.

Great episode for Kayvan Novak.

• Love 13
On 10/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I’m pretty sure the short shorts and workout scenes were a nod to John Trovolta in the movie Perfect. 

E2ABC1FA-A79E-44A4-B569-0B9D40EB8ACE.png

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

That was just amazing.  I cracked up every time Nandor's feathered hair bounced.  This was a great mix of hilarious and sinister.  The teeth pulling was so creepy.  Has Jan been running iterations of this cult since the 80s?  Maybe she restarts every year.  She had power over and worship from her followers, and maybe that's sufficient reason.  Maybe this is her competing for vampire council territory.

Guillermo has bought so deeply into becoming a vampire but also into serving Nandor.  And at the same time he has invented garlic pepper spray.  Genius.

Typically the older the vampires the more bat-like they look.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I lost my shit every time they would show the Nosferatu guy jamming.  Not sure why I found it so hilarious but I did.  Wasn't he playing bongos at one point?

On 10/15/2021 at 2:56 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I did not pick up on what she said either.  That was the entire reason why I came into this thread. 

• Love 1

Oh my goodness.  Swoon.  Where has Kayvan Novak been all my life???

He cleans up real good.

Did anyone else think that Jan's cult was sort of a metaphor for gay conversion therapy?

Yes, that's what she said. Closed captioning is my friend. I often re-watch with it turned on because you tend to miss a lot of great lines otherwise - mainly because characters tend to talk over each other a lot.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

He cleans up real good.

Did anyone else think that Jan's cult was sort of a metaphor for gay conversion therapy?

Yes, that's what she said. Closed captioning is my friend. I often re-watch with it turned on because you tend to miss a lot of great lines otherwise - mainly because characters tend to talk over each other a lot.

I never thought of that but good point. 

• Love 1
On 10/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, LittleIggy said:

I found out very recently that Matt Berry did the voiceover for those Advil commercials. I thought all along it was maybe Malcolm McDowell. Matt has a great voice.

I always thought it was Matt Berry but because it's an odd casting choice and he doesn't really fit with the straightforward pitch or the product I wasn't 100% certain.

2 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

I always thought it was Matt Berry but because it's an odd casting choice and he doesn't really fit with the straightforward pitch or the product I wasn't 100% certain.

He does utter the phrase: "Silly humans, who do you think you are?" which could be a sly reference to the fact that in his currently best-known role, he is not human. He also uses some non-standard terms: foot knives, blue-light lanterns and ear-bangers (for high heels, computer monitors and headphones) which would fit in nicely in the show.

https://youtu.be/IRoyqHhx5f0

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1

This episode was as hilarious as every episode is, but I also really liked them exploring Nandor's feelings of melancholy in a pretty genuine (if often silly) way. It makes sense that he would sometimes feel depressed and lonely, he's the oldest of the vampires and has always sought out connection with people (going way back to when he tried to find his human descendent near the start of the show), I can imagine that eternity must feel very long sometimes. I do wonder if one of the reasons he hasn't turned Guillermo yet is because he really does see being a vampire as a curse that he doesn't want to inflict on Guillermo, or if that was mostly the cult talking. I can very easily see Nandor falling in with a cult, not only were they giving him a way out of his depression, Nandor...isn't the sharpest stake in the pile. If Guillermo hadn't shown up and dragged him away, he would have probably been first in line to run out onto the roof. 

Loved Guillermo's long fight with the cult, it was shot really well, especially when he was swinging the vampire around the hula hoop and you could only see the hoop in the mirror, this show always does a good job at making fight scenes look funny while also looking cool. I also love that everyone did seem to be excited about celebrating Nandor's anniversary. Even if some of it is just because its fun (looking at you and a whole lot of you Colin Robinson) but they did seem to be happy for him. 

Damn you guys, Kayvan Novak really cleans up nice!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Nandor...isn't the sharpest stake in the pile. If Guillermo hadn't shown up and dragged him away, he would have probably been first in line to run out onto the roof. 

I can so see that happening... he would be jogging or hopping around saying something like "here we go!!" with a big smile on his face. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

My only very mild criticism of the episode is that the vampires were so damn inept when trying to fight off Guillermo.  I wish they had put up a bit more of a fight.  Even with Nandor, all Guillermo had to do was hold his hand, pull, and say "come on!" to get him to leave.  LOL

Hell, Nadja Doll is tougher than all of them!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

My only very mild criticism of the episode is that the vampires were so damn inept when trying to fight off Guillermo.  I wish they had put up a bit more of a fight.  Even with Nandor, all Guillermo had to do was hold his hand, pull, and say "come on!" to get him to leave.  LOL

Hell, Nadja Doll is tougher than all of them!

I think it is because Guillermo has special vampire slaying powers or genes. Isn't he a descendent of Van Helsing? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think it is because Guillermo has special vampire slaying powers or genes. Isn't he a descendent of Van Helsing? 

Plus, I don’t think the vampires are used to fighting vampire hunters.

Edited by Gobi
  • Love 2
On 10/15/2021 at 4:58 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Funny as always, but I also liked how it touched on something that I would always think would be a downside to immortality (vampire or otherwise.)  No matter how great your life could possibly be, I do think most everyone would get to a point where it would just be so tiring, unfulfilling, and boring, and I can see a depression like reaction coming out of it.  So, despite the great humor, I actually did feel for Nandor and while he was being his normal daft self, I could see why he would fall for the cult's spiel and make himself believe that a "normal" life could be possible again.  I also like that they haven't already wrapped this entire story up yet (Nandor's feelings/depression) and I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

Anyone watch The Good Place? This came up in the last season.

Does Jan have to appear before the Vampiric Council for murdering all of those vampires??

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

40 minutes ago, Gobi said:

Plus, I don’t the vampires are used to fighting vampire hunters.

Also wanted to add, the vampires in the cult are not feeding on human blood (I strongly suspect Jan is though).  They are all weak.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Yes, he's definitely like a superhero on that score. But also what others have said about vampires' abilities to fight.

• Love 1