Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: The Wellness Center

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Also wanted to add, the vampires in the cult are not feeding on human blood (I strongly suspect Jan is though).  They are all weak.

So I wondered, what exactly were they eating? How long was Nandor there with no human blood to nourish him?

• Love 1
On 10/14/2021 at 8:09 PM, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Mirror effects were awesome. No reflections, save for the hula hoops. Outstanding work.

Ok so this has been bugging me - in the show, they are clearly invisible in mirrors, but in the opening credits they are visible in photos. Shoot, in the Atlantic City episode, Nadja even has a picture of herself in the sixties with the Rat Pack. Are we supposed to just hand wave this?

Nandor with the feathered hair and short shorts was everything.

Colin Robinson is killing it this season. He is a deeply weird person and I love it. Do energy vampires have some obsession with poop? Because it sure seems that way - he was waaaay too into sorting through Guillermo's crap at the beginning of the season, then his comment to the Siren about her not being the first woman to shit on his shoes, and then this week all the farting/scent marking.......

I also loved the call back to the "creepy" paper when they were decorating. I'm sad this season is almost over.......

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Roxie said:

So I wondered, what exactly were they eating? How long was Nandor there with no human blood to nourish him?

Lazlo said he'd been gone a month, but I don't know how reliable he is.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

They did all that cooking at the commune. And then they threw it all out. I did find that funny. 

I think it was just chopping!

In the original movie, the ancient vampire Petyr drinks chicken blood.  It could be that they have an animal substitute, or that Jan provided some "humanely" acquired human blood.

They probably put it in pitchers labeled "tomato juice."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2021 at 10:01 AM, AheadofStraight said:

Anyone watch The Good Place? This came up in the last season.

Does Jan have to appear before the Vampiric Council for murdering all of those vampires??

They did commit suicide.  Of course, it was at her prompting.  Although I suspect the bigger issue is she did not pay her dues for more than 100 years.  I wonder if she ensnared all of the vampires that were sent to collect the dues.  

On 10/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, Ilovepie said:

Nandor with the feathered hair and short shorts was everything.

Colin Robinson is killing it this season. He is a deeply weird person and I love it. Do energy vampires have some obsession with poop? Because it sure seems that way - he was waaaay too into sorting through Guillermo's crap at the beginning of the season, then his comment to the Siren about her not being the first woman to shit on his shoes, and then this week all the farting/scent marking.......

Nandor looked so great.  Make him blond and I dated him back in the day.  

I think the poop obsession is another way for Colin to annoy people.  Can you imagine being stuck in a conversation where he goes on and on about poop? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Oh man, I'm so disappointed to see that the cult leader's name is Jan and not Jen!! I was vicariously enjoying hot Nandor getting it on with someone who shares my name, and now I'm crestfallen. 

During the talking head scenes of Nandor's armchair ennui I also noticed for the first time that Kayvan Novak has really beautiful hands.

No, I'm not a stalker. I swear. Erm,... BAT!

• Wink 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2021 at 11:40 PM, LittleIggy said:

I found out very recently that Matt Berry did the voiceover for those Advil commercials. I thought all along it was maybe Malcolm McDowell. Matt has a great voice.

My first exposure to Matt Berry was in the IT Crowd, and I was continually blown away by his voice in that show. He plays a histrionic over the top character there too - I just adore him!

• Love 4
On 10/15/2021 at 4:35 PM, CouchTater said:

Oh my goodness.  Swoon.  Where has Kayvan Novak been all my life???

37877659_1900261283365999_67719306670988

On 10/15/2021 at 11:52 PM, GaT said:

THAT'S NANDOR????????? DAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNN

Damn, damn, DAMN!

That could make eternity go by really fast.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, Ilovepie said:

Ok so this has been bugging me - in the show, they are clearly invisible in mirrors, but in the opening credits they are visible in photos. Shoot, in the Atlantic City episode, Nadja even has a picture of herself in the sixties with the Rat Pack. Are we supposed to just hand wave this?

This was covered during the show's first season. Here's an interview with Taika Waititi on why they appear on film. https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/taiki-waititi-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-tv-show.html

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

This was covered during the show's first season. Here's an interview with Taika Waititi on why they appear on film. https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/taiki-waititi-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-tv-show.html

Thanks for this -so funny! Digital technology - why didn't I think of that??? Of course, it doesn't explain the "old" photos that we see in the intro every week since they were taken before digital technology, but I'm just going to start humming the hamster dance to take the place of any rational thoughts in my brain......

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Thanks for this -so funny! Digital technology - why didn't I think of that??? Of course, it doesn't explain the "old" photos that we see in the intro every week since they were taken before digital technology, but I'm just going to start humming the hamster dance to take the place of any rational thoughts in my brain......

That's so true! Now that I'm thinking about how cameras functioned historically, what is the difference between a mirror and a reflective plate used in photography? Not a whole heck of alot.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, Eliza422 said:

My first exposure to Matt Berry was in the IT Crowd, and I was continually blown away by his voice in that show. He plays a histrionic over the top character there too - I just adore him!

Check out Garth Marenghi's Darkplace which is currently free on Amazon Prime.  

• Love 2

Looking through the Emmy no I actions announced today, and this amuses me.

Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes

The Book Of Boba Fett • Chapter 1: Stranger In A Strange Land • Disney+ • Lucasfilm Ltd.
Shawna Trpcic, Costume Designer
Julie Robar, Costume Supervisor
Areayl Cooper, Assistant Costume Designer

Loki • Glorious Purpose • Disney+ • Marvel Studios
Christine Wada, Costume Designer
Nora Pederson, Costume Supervisor
Tamsin Costello, Assistant Costume Designer Carol Beadle, Assistant Costume Designer

Moon Knight • Gods And Monsters • Disney+ • Marvel Studios
Meghan Kasperlik, Costume Designer
Martin Mandeville, Costume Supervisor
Richard Davies, Assistant Costume Designer Wilberth Gonzalez, Assistant Costume Designer

Star Trek: Picard • Penance • Paramount+ • CBS Studios in association with Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment
Christine Bieselin Clark, Costume Designer Michell Ray Kenney, Costume Supervisor Allison Agler, Assistant Costume Designer

What We Do In The Shadows • The Wellness Center • FX • FX Productions
Laura Montgomery, Costume Designer
Judy Laukkanen, Costume Supervisor Barbara Cardoso, Assistant Costume Designer

The Witcher • Family • Netflix • A Netflix Original Series
Lucinda Wright, Costume Designer
Rebecca Jempson, Assistant Costume Designer

Apparently, psusdo-cult workout gear counts as “fantasy/sci fi costuming.”

Now I got “One Week” back in my head . . .

• Like 1