Type keyword(s) to search

And Just Like That in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/1/2023 at 9:50 AM, luna1122again said:

Aidan owned a store and an apartment in Manhattan. His "country" cabin was an occasional thing. He was a little crunchy granola but he was also a guy who lived in NYC with a successful business. 

Anyway. I always got the chemistry between Carrie and Big but I ALWAYS thought they were wrong and toxic together and for a long time, I believed that was the whole point of the show. Giving them some fairy tale ending on the series finale mildly enraged me. 

Not that I thought she should wind up with Aidan either. I loved him bit their dynamic was also toxic. 

Let’s not forget when Big got up and married what’s her name, I forgot.  Wasn’t that after Big was with Carrie at one time?  Also so not interested in Miranda’s strap-on.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
On 7/2/2023 at 2:30 PM, kristen111 said:

Let’s not forget when Big got up and married what’s her name, I forgot.  Wasn’t that after Big was with Carrie at one time?  Also so not interested in Miranda’s strap-on.

Natasha.  I think that was her name.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 7/2/2023 at 1:30 PM, kristen111 said:

Yes Big went to Paris and didn’t invite Carrie 🙄 and met Natasha there.

https://pagesix.com/2023/07/05/cynthia-nixon-worried-about-fan-reaction-to-kim-cattralls-and-just-like-that-cameo/

Omg Cynthia Nixon is the worst!

She’s actually worried that we love Kim and want more of her and she should be worried because we do!

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
7 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

https://pagesix.com/2023/07/05/cynthia-nixon-worried-about-fan-reaction-to-kim-cattralls-and-just-like-that-cameo/

Omg Cynthia Nixon is the worst!

She’s actually worried that we love Kim and want more of her and she should be worried because we do!

She really is the worst.  As far as I'm concerned Kim and Samantha were always better than Cynthia and Miranda and even more so now.

Hate to break it to you Cynthia but I don't like you.   I really don't like you.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

I honestly don't think that's what Cynthia Nixon means. The cameo by all accounts is a short one - hence, "cameo." She's right that if fans go in thinking it's going to be a longer appearance, they'll come away disappointed. She's also not wrong that it's unfortunate that the cameo leaked; if it hadn't leaked, fans would have simply been delightedly surprised when Samantha appeared onscreen. Instead, there will be people who will be disappointed when the scene turns out to be like 30 seconds of Samantha onscreen.

It's not about worrying that fans will want more of Samantha in future seasons; Kim Cattrall has already stated that this cameo is it and she's done. And when you look at all the restrictions she put on the cameo, it's obvious that she couldn't come back for any kind of actual storyline.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I honestly don't think that's what Cynthia Nixon means. The cameo by all accounts is a short one - hence, "cameo." She's right that if fans go in thinking it's going to be a longer appearance, they'll come away disappointed. She's also not wrong that it's unfortunate that the cameo leaked; if it hadn't leaked, fans would have simply been delightedly surprised when Samantha appeared onscreen. Instead, there will be people who will be disappointed when the scene turns out to be like 30 seconds of Samantha onscreen.

It's not about worrying that fans will want more of Samantha in future seasons; Kim Cattrall has already stated that this cameo is it and she's done. And when you look at all the restrictions she put on the cameo, it's obvious that she couldn't come back for any kind of actual storyline.

I loved Kim in SATC and in all her previous movies she made before this show.  She was popular before and has work going on as we speak.  She’s not worried.  I’d take Kim’s acting before SJP’s anyday.  They are the ones that are worried.  IMO, Kim was the star.  I doubt anyone else could play her.

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

If someone has heard about the cameo through the leaks and Kim's media appearances it was made clear that it's brief. So they shouldn't be disappointed in the brevity because they already know. Those who haven't heard about it will be surprised/delighted and then disappointed to realize that is all they'll get of Samantha.

I'd rather know in advance that it's a "farewell cameo" and enjoy it for that. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 7/5/2023 at 7:02 PM, Black Knight said:

I actually think Cynthia's implied message is that Kim herself leaked her cameo and is also the one letting down her fans by setting them up for disappointment in making her appearance so brief.  It's another veiled dig at Kim, I'm sure.  Also, Cynthia is worried that fans will be turned off to the show if they feel set up for disappointment by the leak.  She couldn't care less how the fans feel about anything, especially Kim.  Nice try, Cynthia, but they already feel let down and most don't put the blame on Kim but on the show and YOU for example.

Also she might be trying to cloud the fact that it could have been the show that leaked the cameo to attract more fans to this season knowing how many didn't want to tune if Samantha wasn't on the show anymore.  She did this again to shift the blame to Kim for any disappointment they feel as a result of the leak.  In other words:  what an awful person!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 5

To me, the show has lost its luster.  In the Promo, SJP walking with Miranda looked ridiculous with that getup she had on.  The outfit, hat and long stringy hair was a bit much. I’m satisfied watching the old episodes and two movies here n there.  The absence of Samantha made me lose interest.  They are now reaching.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I actually think Cynthia's implied message is that Kim herself leaked her cameo and is also the one letting down her fans by setting them up for disappointment in making her appearance so brief.  It's another veiled dig at Kim, I'm sure.  Also, Cynthia is worried that fans will be turned off to the show if they feel set up for disappointment by the leak.  She couldn't care less how the fans feel about anything, especially Kim.  Nice try, Cynthia, but they already feel let down and most don't put the blame on Kim but on the show and YOU for example.

Also she might be trying to cloud the fact that it could have been the show that leaked the cameo to attract more fans to this season knowing how many didn't want to tune if Samantha wasn't on the show anymore.  She did this again to shift the blame to Kim for any disappointment they feel as a result of the leak.  In other words:  what an awful person!

Right? She and MPK have outright accused fans of being closed-minded bigots over Miranda/Che - to the point where they said they were going to rub the relationship in our faces in the second season - but suddenly she'd hate for us to be disappointed in the show?

Pick a lane, Cynthia.

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I can’t believe Samantha would still be friends with any of them!! She’s off living her best life 😊

I’m loving it.  Kim has one part after another.  Cynthia has that Old N.Y. Show coming back.  I don’t know about the other two, but I could care less.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Right? She and MPK have outright accused fans of being closed-minded bigots over Miranda/Che - to the point where they said they were going to rub the relationship in our faces in the second season - but suddenly she'd hate for us to be disappointed in the show?

Pick a lane, Cynthia.

This is why I think the head of HBO reached out to Kim. Because of the drama surrounding the toxicity that Kim spoke out about and made clear was her reason for not returning, MPK, SJP, et al dug their heels in about both Kim and the Che/Cynthia relationship, choosing to ignore all the bad reviews, feedback, etc., and blaming the audience rather than themselves.

I'm sure that contractually its their right to keep and develop whatever story lines they want, no matter how pathetic and that there are all sorts of financial contingencies in their favor if HBO wants to pull the plug prior to contract end or renegotiation time. 

The head of HBO, however, did not get to be head of HBO by giving in to stubbornness and high-school behavior.

SATC is one of their biggest and most successful franchises and that's where the money lies -- thus they as a company have a lot riding on AJLT, so he definitely saw the reviews, feedback, etc. and knew it was a dumpster fire. 

Breaking the contracts and blowing up the concept of the franchise is just bad business, but so is keeping Kim Cattrall away from it.

So he did what he needed to do as the head of the network, and was smart enough to know that her requests were both reasonable and manageable and that bringing Samantha back -- in whatever capacity he could negotiate -- would pick up some viewers season 1 lost and create some positive press for a change. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2023 at 1:25 PM, Scarlett45 said:

The season 5 hair was super cute and I agree. Of course any woman can do what they want with their own hair, but I think at this point in her life a shorter cut, playing into her curls would flatter her features more, bring out her eyes. 

Thank you.  That middle part does nothing for her.  It accentuates her nose.  A shorter cut with some curls would do wonders.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Thank you.  That middle part does nothing for her.  It accentuates her nose.  A shorter cut with some curls would do wonders.

I think the right shorter cut with an off center or side part would take years off her face and not make it look so long and thin.  Her hairstyle is dragging her down at this length.  

• Like 2

Is the second season noticeably improved? I keep seeing encouraging headlines. I refused to watch it because I cannot stand Che and Miranda, and their actors' and MPK's shrill insistence that the audience is the problem, how bigoted and anti-tras and whatthehellever we all apparently, is such a turnoff. Like, own your mistakes. And the only weapon I have is my lack of viewership. But I'm weakening. Has it gotten better?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Is the second season noticeably improved? I keep seeing encouraging headlines. I refused to watch it because I cannot stand Che and Miranda, and their actors' and MPK's shrill insistence that the audience is the problem, how bigoted and anti-tras and whatthehellever we all apparently, is such a turnoff. Like, own your mistakes. And the only weapon I have is my lack of viewership. But I'm weakening. Has it gotten better?

"Better" and "noticeably improved" are subjective--in the broadest sense of those words, not really. 

It has gotten slightly more watchable with hints of what people liked about the old show peeking in. 

If you read the episode threads first you can plan to fast forward through the Che scenes (as a couple of us seem to be doing) and it is much much more watchable. 

I too gave in to my weakness and started watching despite swearing I wouldn't. The Che fast forwards are what's working for me.... that's all I've got for ya'.....😎

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Has anyone seen this?  Apologies if someone already brought it up.  Quote from one of the writers about how Che is SUPPOSED to be annoying, especially to queer and younger people:

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2023/07/and-just-like-that-che-diaz-character/674703/

I doubt it. Seems like the writers are now trying to say this so as to cover for their shitty writing. MPK, for all his yadda yadda about Che, both in S1 and S2, never sold Che as "annoying", more like the second coming.

• Like 6
(edited)
7 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I doubt it. Seems like the writers are now trying to say this so as to cover for their shitty writing. MPK, for all his yadda yadda about Che, both in S1 and S2, never sold Che as "annoying", more like the second coming.

The article says the character gets better in the next few episodes, becomes better friends with Carrie, and starts to fit in with the gang more.  And Miranda starts to properly reckon with the change in her sexuality and also what she has done to poor Steve.  Hoping this means she and Che are over.  Still Che remains on the show.  If Che could morph into someone not so strident or all about lecturing others on queerness, that might help.  The article quotes a writer as saying that Che is “the type of person who can turn a coffee order into a lesson on colonialism.”  I think that’s the most accurate description I’ve heard so far.  That’s the quality that needs to be radically toned down, at least for me. I don’t believe it was intentional,  to make Che that way, though, as the writers say.   Sara Ramirez has been interviewed saying similarly obnoxious/strident things, like accusing the people who don’t like the character of hating queer people.  I agree that they’re backtracking now when they see the audience reaction to Che.

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 5
21 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

The article says the character gets better in the next few episodes, becomes better friends with Carrie, and starts to fit in with the gang more.  And Miranda starts to properly reckon with the change in her sexuality and also what she has done to poor Steve.  Hoping this means she and Che are over.  Still Che remains on the show.  If Che could morph into someone not so strident or all about lecturing others on queerness, that might help.  The article quotes a writer as saying that Che is “the type of person who can turn a coffee order into a lesson on colonialism.”  I think that’s the most accurate description I’ve heard so far.  That’s the quality that needs to be radically toned down, at least for me. I don’t believe it was intentional,  to make Che that way, though, as the writers say.   Sara Ramirez has been interviewed saying similarly obnoxious/strident things, like accusing the people who don’t like the character of hating queer people.  I agree that they’re backtracking now when they see the audience reaction to Che.

Oh wonderful. So we're going to now change Miranda into the full on lesbian that she's apparently always been? I can't wait. 

• Like 2
(edited)

From the HuffPost piece that @chitowngirlposted (thank you for that): 

At every stage of the relationship, Miranda is on the back foot, struggling to find her equilibrium because Che doesn’t offer her any.

Ding, ding, ding. It could not have been better expressed. I realize I don't have as much company here as I had a couple of years ago, but I still kind of care about Miranda. She had been my favorite on SATC. For all the discussion of Che's pronouns, it bothers me to see Miranda in a borderline-toxic relationship with someone who behaves like various uncomplimentary nouns.

I'm hoping, maybe vainly, that the two of them get these issues out in the open and then part amicably, maybe stay friends if Che is (as I suspect) going to be around for the duration of the series. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 6

As much as I was so excited for And Just Like That in the beginning and still wanted another season, I still haven't watched any episodes of season 2!

I don't want to go into threads that might spoil the show, but can anyone tell me if there is a lighter tone this season? SATC had drama and heartbreak, but it was mostly lighthearted. I want more laughs. 

I'd say yes on "lighter tone," @RealHousewife. Carrie's widowhood still comes up in conversation sometimes, but there's more distance from Big's death, because time has passed and life has gone on. We aren't still getting scenes like Carrie screaming "You broke the picture frame that my husband touched!" They also are not dwelling on Samantha severing ties with the other three, as they often were in season 1. 

It's still a show with problems, but I cannot say one of them is the glumness that weighed down season 1. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
On 7/14/2023 at 5:17 PM, Rebecca berkowit said:

I'm sorry, but I just do not buy a Carrie and Che friendship. Che was her boss and an inappropriate one at that (smoking weed in the elevator, telling her to "step her p*ssy up", showing up to her apartment with booze and smoking weed and finger-banging her friend while Carrie's recovering from surgery in her bed…). They don't have anything in common. This has nothing to do with Che's identity and everything to do with Che's personality.

MPK and the writers think that if Carrie approves of Che, then we all will. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I'm sorry, but I just do not buy a Carrie and Che friendship. Che was her boss and an inappropriate one at that (smoking weed in the elevator, telling her to "step her p*ssy up", showing up to her apartment with booze and smoking weed and finger-banging her friend while Carrie's recovering from surgery in her bed…). They don't have anything in common. This has nothing to do with Che's identity and everything to do with Che's personality.

MPK and the writers think that if Carrie approves of Che, then we all will. 

Ok, I want to see how they write an evolving "friendship" between Carrie and Che. Both are immature in their own ways, they have that in common. Maybe Che can get Carrie to smoke a bowl and chill a little? And they'll have a talk about Life and find they have some similar thoughts? Perhaps Che will come to Carrie to ask for insight into Miranda.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

'And Just Like That...': Sara Ramírez talks 'emotional roller coaster' of Che and Miranda

"They go back to a previous job working with a friend where they still have to deal with real-life stuff, but they discover a new connection with someone. They’re just trying to find their way back to who they really are. Does that include comedy? Does that include love? That's the big question mark at the end."
"But my hope is that in Season 2 ‒ just like we embrace the humanity of the women on the show ‒ hopefully we continue to embrace Che Diaz's humanity. It’s important we remember that LGBTQIA+ people don't have to be perfect, just like the women don't have to be perfect. We get to be imperfect, we get to be unlikable, and you still get to root for our humanity."

The only thing I'm taking from this interview is that Sara Ramirez understands something different from the dictionary definition of humanity.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, maggiegil said:

'And Just Like That...': Sara Ramírez talks 'emotional roller coaster' of Che and Miranda

"They go back to a previous job working with a friend where they still have to deal with real-life stuff, but they discover a new connection with someone. They’re just trying to find their way back to who they really are. Does that include comedy? Does that include love? That's the big question mark at the end."
"But my hope is that in Season 2 ‒ just like we embrace the humanity of the women on the show ‒ hopefully we continue to embrace Che Diaz's humanity. It’s important we remember that LGBTQIA+ people don't have to be perfect, just like the women don't have to be perfect. We get to be imperfect, we get to be unlikable, and you still get to root for our humanity."

The only thing I'm taking from this interview is that Sara Ramirez understands something different from the dictionary definition of humanity.

Once again, I do not like the implication that viewers dislike Che because they are LGBT+. We don't like Che because Che is an asshole. Che is an unfunny comic. Che is a narcissist, even said so themself. If Che were a straight white man who behaved the way Che does, everyone would hate him and viewers wouldn't be accused of bigotry. Sorry, not sorry.

• Like 16
(edited)
3 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Once again, I do not like the implication that viewers dislike Che because they are LGBT+. We don't like Che because Che is an asshole. Che is an unfunny comic. Che is a narcissist, even said so themself. If Che were a straight white man who behaved the way Che does, everyone would hate him and viewers wouldn't be accused of bigotry. Sorry, not sorry.

Honestly, I can’t even imagine anyone on the show even considering dating a man who talks and acts like Che does with Miranda.  

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 6
12 hours ago, maggiegil said:

What about Miranda?  Isn’t she one of “the women on the show” AND LGBTQIA+?  What’s with the compare-and-contrast?  This quote is confusing.  

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

https://www.avclub.com/carrie-and-just-like-that-wealth-problem-essay-1850670328

Seems we aren't the only ones who think Carrie was better without money.

The only part of this analysis that doesn’t work was what always bothered me about Sex and the City and continues to bother me now; whenever a new date/hookup/boyfriend is described by Carrie, it’s nearly always in terms of their earning potential. It’s always like ‘Peter was an artist who had just sold sixteen paintings to Donald Trump’ or ‘Lucien was a banker who had just made sixteen million in the last year’, or ‘Bruce was an athlete who had just closed a sixteen year long sponsorship deal with Gillette’. Whatever ridiculous thing that made the man of the week sound important and successful.

It made it super clear that the women were, in a lot of cases in the sex just as much for the money and prestige, as for the companionship and orgasms. 

So this is just an extension of that. ‘Look!’ the show seems to say ‘Look at what we won!’. And on the terms of the game they were playing throughout the original show, they have won. We can’t really hold that against the characters now.

• Like 3

Sundance is airing the very first season of Law & Order. Episode 2 just began, and Cynthia Nixon plays a suspect in a subway shooting.

And one of the detectives, Mike Logan, is of course played by Chris Noth.

So weird to see them so young. (From 1990.) Nixon was sporting long blonde hair in this episode.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Sundance is airing the very first season of Law & Order. Episode 2 just began, and Cynthia Nixon plays a suspect in a subway shooting.

And one of the detectives, Mike Logan, is of course played by Chris Noth.

So weird to see them so young. (From 1990.) Nixon was sporting long blonde hair in this episode.

I didn't see your post in time to tune in. Luckily I've seen that episode and all the original Law and Orders so many times I can practically replay it in my head.

I found  Detective Mike Logan (Chris Noth)  so likeable from Law and Order that I don't think I could ever see Big as we were meant to in SATC. He really wasted 10 years of Carrie's time. In the real world   marrying a 10 year on and off girlfriend when you've even married someone else is highly improbable.

• Like 2

Thanks for the article! The writers & MK certainly see more magic between Aidan & Carrier than I do -- to me, they're the most ill-suited couple - back then and now.  I never wanted them to end up together.  Not thrilled to see him back now.  Lazy writers - most definitely.  All the fun, humor, & freshness has gone out of the show.  Supplanted by the wholly implausible, the stupid, the irritating.

When I got to the part in the article where the author referred to Aidan's long-ago "unfair ultimatum" that Carrie marry him - that resulted in their finally ending things - Well, I just don't get it.  Unfair?!?!? She cheated on him - wore his ring on a dumb string - let him buy the apartment next door & rehab her apartment. For what? How long was he supposed to wait around while she hoped for Mr. Big to man-up? 

And now he's supposed to face her inevitable comparison to Big?  She's only "available" because Big died, not because Big became lesser in her estimation & Aidan greater.  This is just so stupid.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, T Summer said:

I found  Detective Mike Logan (Chris Noth)  so likeable from Law and Order that I don't think I could ever see Big as we were meant to in SATC. He really wasted 10 years of Carrie's time. In the real world   marrying a 10 year on and off girlfriend when you've even married someone else is highly improbable.

I can see it happening though. Often people get older and get sick of “hunting” and “waiting”. If they haven’t met anyone they want to commit to, if the person that always loved them more than they reciprocated is available they will go back rather than being alone. 

Big knew Carrie would always be there, and when he got tired of hunting for the next “thing” he was willing to settle down with her. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I can see it happening though. Often people get older and get sick of “hunting” and “waiting”. If they haven’t met anyone they want to commit to, if the person that always loved them more than they reciprocated is available they will go back rather than being alone. 

Big knew Carrie would always be there, and when he got tired of hunting for the next “thing” he was willing to settle down with her. 

yeah, as I've typed here many a time... couldn't be me!

If another actor had played Mr Big I'd probably hate him intensely for being a USER!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I always feel vindicated when I read an article that says everything I have already thought about Carrie Bradshaw.

Amen to that entire article. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I always feel vindicated when I read an article that says everything I have already thought about Carrie Bradshaw.

She was always my least favorite character! 

• Like 4

'And Just Like That' creator put 'pressure' on John Corbett to lose weight and be 'rock hard' for his return as Aidan

"We gave John a makeover. We cut his hair, we took the turquoise jewelry away. We told him he had to be rock hard when he came back. He was eating fried chicken when I told him and he dropped the fried chicken on the plate and fell down in the booth that we were sitting in and said, 'I knew I was a fatty'".

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
On 7/29/2023 at 3:41 PM, bluegirl147 said:

On rewatch, 20+ years on, I am really blown away by how absolutely awful Carrie is and how much they teased Samantha with the terrible things they said to her character that she just shrugged off. Kim Cattrall was outstanding in her role and really was the breakout star of the show. She was wise to stay away from this mess.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3