Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

BetterButter

And Just Like That in the Media

Recommended Posts


On 10/5/2021 at 9:59 AM, BetterButter said:

 

Thanks. I came to share. I think December is an interesting choice- competing with the holiday things and The Witcher!

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I liked the editing and cinematography in the teaser. 
 

Cynthia seems to have gotten the best wardrobe. 

Looking forward to seeing the styles of new ladies Seema, Lisa, and Nya (played by Sarita Choudhury, Nicole Ari Parker, and Karen Pittman). I've liked what little I've seen so far. 

I still miss Samantha. But I hope they do right by her by not trashing the character. Let her be off living her fabulous life away from NYC. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Scoop on Samantha from Instyle

Spoiler

 

According to DailyMail, Samantha's character will not be killed off in the reboot. Instead, the show will mention that the beloved character played by Kim Cattrall moved to London where she is "thriving."

"We couldn't have Samantha roaming around New York City and not have the other women not interacting with her. It just wouldn't have made sense," the sources shared.

"Sending her to Los Angeles wasn't an option as we'd done that in the first movie, so having her character based in London really was the perfect way to keep her alive and explain her absence," the sources continued.

They added that Samantha will be talked about, and viewers will find out that she doing great is across the pond but has since had a fall out with Carrie. And reportedly, by the end of the season, Carrie will try to make amends with her friend.

"Carrie is the one who has the tough time without Samantha and by the end of 'And Just Like That ... you'll see Carrie extend the olive branch and try and rekindle the friendship," the sources said.

Thriving in London, I'll take it! I think it's great that Sam is still in touch with Charlotte and Miranda, but I'm curious what caused the fallout between her and Carrie. Unless it really is mixing business and friendship and one dropped the other from her PR which still seems like a weak excuse. It's pretty meta, though, down to Carrie (and SJP) extending an olive branch to Samantha (and Kim). I just hope Kim doesn't feel pressured or that this puts her in a bad light. As sad as I am that THEE Samantha Jones isn't back for more, I respect Kim's decision. She may be dodging a bullet considering what has been leaked hasn't been much to celebrate - at least not for some of us fans who were there in the beginning. 

 

 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

R.I.P. Kristen’s face 😢 Le sigh. She was so naturally pretty.

Part of what made Kristin so attractive is the fact she was so natural. She never gave into pressure to be blonde, super tan, stick skinny, or get big, fake boobs. Nothing against any of that, but I thought it was refreshing Kristin embraced the beauty she was born with rather than trying to change it like so many do in Hollywood. She looked like like the girl next door, just an exceptionally pretty one. I think she's still attractive, but hopefully whatever she's had done settles. 

My motto has always been some age and some lines >>> looking frozen and fake. 

  • Love 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/6/2021 at 1:08 PM, funnygirl said:

According to Michael Patrick King in this article,

  Reveal spoiler

Big doesn't die.

No one does. (thankful for that!)

Curious what happens then. 

Welp! Apparently episode 2 leaked in Canada by accident and MPK lied. 

Gird your loins. 

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Welp! Apparently episode 2 leaked in Canada by accident and MPK lied. 

Gird your loins. 

Can you provide a source?  I'm not turning up anything on this in a search.

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Can you provide a source?  I'm not turning up anything on this in a search.

A post on reddit. Said it was accidentally released on a station called Crave (? I'm not Canadian). 

 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m two episodes in so far and not liking how over animated their faces are. Kristin’s is distracting. I didn’t like the “no longer with us” dig.  
 

 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, funnygirl said:

A post on reddit. Said it was accidentally released on a station called Crave (? I'm not Canadian). 

 

Crave is a streaming site/app.  It shows (most) HBOMax shows.  Both episodes were scheduled to drop today when the trailer was released.  Episode 3 drops next Thursday.  

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Have read a few interviews with King since Thursday. This one talks about filming Big at his own funeral scene to throw off the paparazzi, and the direction Carrie's story will take. The other similar one said after the first two eps the series will "get lighter and lighter". Hmm.

And in both he said that Big was the man Carrie wanted but couldn't have. This one mentions how her life evolved due to that focus on getting him. Now THAT I would like to explore. I know a few women who did this, put their own development second to getting that man they focused so intently on. They "caught" him at last but the marriages did not go well and ended after a few years, though not with a death. Having Big die rather than them divorcing is a shortcut to showing how Carrie will change when Mr. Big is no longer her focus.
 
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/chris-noth-attended-just-funeral-194937552.html

https://ew.com/tv/and-just-like-that-michael-patrick-king-talks-big-death-peloton/

Edited by RedHawk · Reason: Added link
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Haven't watched this yet.  Not sure I will.

But are any of the characters still single?  Makes sense in the original series that they would be dating focused or finding  a husband/life partner.

Now that they're older, they're suppose to be more settled, with relationships with almost adult children?

SATC inspired young women but maybe those same viewers don't want to see the characters going dealing more with middle-aged lives?

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Haven't watched this yet.  Not sure I will.

But are any of the characters still single?  Makes sense in the original series that they would be dating focused or finding  a husband/life partner.

Now that they're older, they're suppose to be more settled, with relationships with almost adult children?

SATC inspired young women but maybe those same viewers don't want to see the characters going dealing more with middle-aged lives?

I don't want to spoil anything here, but maybe mileage varies on what people want to see the women doing? Some people love the whole happily ever after with a soulmate and perhaps some children. Some people might prefer to watch the women date, have raunchy sex stories and such.

I'm in my 30s so no kid but not very old either. The Housewives franchise gets a lot of flack, which I understand to a degree. But one thing I love about it is it does show women in their 30s-60s as beautiful, glamorous, sexy women with fun, aspirational lives. I feel like in so many movies, it's all about teens, 20-somethings, and 30-somethings at the most. Anyone else is often just the mom or grandma or whatever. Whatever direction the show goes as far as who's single and who's not, I want these women to still be fun and fabulous.  

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

Audience scores can't be trusted.  I can see a review-bombing campaign for this one.

I think maybe SATC wasn't all that, some of it is fond memories or nostalgia.

 

 

  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, aghst said:

Audience scores can't be trusted.  I can see a review-bombing campaign for this one.

I think maybe SATC wasn't all that, some of it is fond memories or nostalgia.

 

 

I rewatched the full series and both movies in the pandemic.  It was pretty great.  You just appreciate different things about it.  The 2nd movie is still terrible, but the scene of Charlotte and Miranda in the bar in their suite where Miranda convinces Charlotte that it is okay to admit motherhood is not all roses and pink is awesome.

I am going to watch the first 2 episodes again, maybe I am being too hard on the show.

Update:  Nope.  Tried the first 2 eps again.  Fast forwarded through most. 

Edited by BrindaWalsh
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

The Cut is here to remind you that Carrie was originally a brunette, in the pilot and insinuates that it was changed at SJP’s insistence:

“For starters, she’s a brunette. Her hair is cut into a short, frizzy bob. She wears dark eye shadow and a lot of black. Her apartment is way smaller and messier. In my mind, she actually looks like a writer — and, of course, a lot more like me, an average person who also happens to be a writer with curly hair and a messy apartment, which is probably why I’ve always been so obsessed with this mysterious version of Carrie that we never see again. What happened to her? Where did she go? What could she have been?”

PREACH. Although one of my favorite moments in the AJLT premiere was Carrie’s dye job being questioned as if it’s “obvious, in a good way.”

Vulture talked to a cardiologist, who basically says that Carrie absolutely could have done more to save Big, but also is so unfamiliar with the show that they dub her Jessica Sarah Parker.

Does Ryan Reynolds love or hate Peloton?  Because at first he recruited the Peloton Wife for an anti-Peloton ad for his Aviation Gin and yet now he’s making a PRO-Peloton ad with Noth?  “what is the truth”.Oprah.Gif?  (The truth is that Ryan Reynolds will do virtually anything for a paycheck.). Also, kinda a Dick Move to make an ad spoiling the major plot twist in a series less than a week after it aired?  

  • Love 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Yes, but she didn't write that, a man did.

I believe there's a "writer's room" and under King there are several women on the writing staff. Which kinda makes it worse that women are "allowing" these things to be written, not challenging them. I wonder what their ages are.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lethallyfab said:

The Cut is here to remind you that Carrie was originally a brunette, in the pilot and insinuates that it was changed at SJP’s insistence:

“For starters, she’s a brunette. Her hair is cut into a short, frizzy bob. She wears dark eye shadow and a lot of black. Her apartment is way smaller and messier. In my mind, she actually looks like a writer — and, of course, a lot more like me, an average person who also happens to be a writer with curly hair and a messy apartment, which is probably why I’ve always been so obsessed with this mysterious version of Carrie that we never see again. What happened to her? Where did she go? What could she have been?”

PREACH. Although one of my favorite moments in the AJLT premiere was Carrie’s dye job being questioned as if it’s “obvious, in a good way.”

Vulture talked to a cardiologist, who basically says that Carrie absolutely could have done more to save Big, but also is so unfamiliar with the show that they dub her Jessica Sarah Parker.

Does Ryan Reynolds love or hate Peloton?  Because at first he recruited the Peloton Wife for an anti-Peloton ad for his Aviation Gin and yet now he’s making a PRO-Peloton ad with Noth?  “what is the truth”.Oprah.Gif?  (The truth is that Ryan Reynolds will do virtually anything for a paycheck.). Also, kinda a Dick Move to make an ad spoiling the major plot twist in a series less than a week after it aired?  

At this point I don't think anyone on Earth or aboard the International Space Station doesn't know that Big died. Perhaps a few uncontacted persons in the Amazon. There have been spoilers everywhere, and review headlines have hinted if not outright spoiled it. The way things work now with social media, it's so hard to avoid spoilers for hugely popular things like this premiere.

So is the woman in the pro-Peloton ad "Allegra" the instructor? I've only seen it once and haven't had time to check, but it would make sense that she is and he faked his own death to be with her. A lot of people commented on Twitter that they'd also fake their own death to get away from Carrie. Had me ROFL!

What happened to that Carrie? She met Big and changed herself into what she thought HE would imagine "a writer in NYC" to look like?

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Yes, but she didn't write that, a man did.

It doesn't matter who wrote it, if the the showrunners think it's acceptable to have the characters comment on each other's appearance, it's hypocritical to complain about viewers commenting on the actresses' appearance.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It doesn't matter who wrote it, if the the showrunners think it's acceptable to have the characters comment on each other's appearance, it's hypocritical to complain about viewers commenting on the actresses' appearance.

SJP characterized the comments as "misogynist" chatter that would never happen about a man.  She obviously hasn't visited this board!  We are equal opportunity appearance criticizers!

Anyway, I'm with the late Joan Rivers who famously said, "If you're not rich and you don't look good, it's not your fault, but if you're rich and you don't look good, it's your fault".  Sorry Kristin and Sarah.  😛 <blows raspberry>.

  • Love 4
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Vulture talked to a cardiologist, who basically says that Carrie absolutely could have done more to save Big, but also is so unfamiliar with the show that they dub her Jessica Sarah Parker.

EOnline also interviewed a cardiologist who said Carrie should have called 911 right away and ideally have begun chest compressions.  It is not uncommon for the spouses of cardiac patients to learn such things.

Also, he said that while having a heart attack it is far more likely to be functional enough to be able to turn to pick up a telephone and make a phone call for help.  It doesn't render you unable to move and semi-conscious for an hour and just happen to die in your spouse's arms.    That they found "a little too coincidental", obviously done for a TV show.

But he didn't blame Carrie for what she did or didn't do because it can be shocking and difficult to walk in on such a situation and know what to do.

I suppose he was being kind there.

  • Love 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I kinda call bullshit on complaining about people commenting on their looks, positive or negative. This is a reboot of a show that really transformed people’s thinking about fashion. A huge part of Sex and the City was about superficial, somewhat vapid things - shoes, handbags, jewelry. Ffs, shoes had their own storylines! It’s American consumerism laid bare, really the most shallow thing I can think of.

When you consider that the show built its brand on shiny objects, and then the rise of social media in the ensuing years, how on earth could anyone affiliated with the reboot not expect people to comment on appearance changes, good or bad? Carrie and company made for entertaining tv in their time, but a lot of people tuned in for the fluff-the shoes, the outfits, the glamour. It’s just unrealistic to expect people to not make comments. I understand the frustration at being judged by your appearance, however this is not great art we’re talking about. Superficiality was a centerpiece of the original series, so it’s disingenuous to be annoyed when the audience responds superficially.

  • Love 13

Share this post


Link to post

Excellent points all around.

Which, if that talk is supposed to be off-limits, can we talk about how absolutely shallow and degrading the series was regarding the appearance of the men in it?  Was Charlotte a brutal misandrist for being repulsed by Harry’s back hair?   Is Bobby Cannavale triggered on a weekly basis from being thought of and referred to as “Mr Funky Spunk?”

I do think there’s a line between criticism and cruelty but I don’t think it’s inherently misogynistic to talk about how an actress’s face has changed because acting is an art dedicated in large part due to how one’s face looks and reacts to stuff!  
 

  • Love 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.today.com/popculture/ryan-reynolds-details-how-peloton-ad-chris-noth-happened-t243049

Peleton trying to spin their 48-hour panic spiral into a good story ... and, honestly, who could blame them?  LOL.  

Although I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be impressed they cut a fairly simple ad with just one scene in 2 days.  The only hard part would be getting Chris Noth onboard and then getting him and the instructor in one place if they weren't already in the same city.  And I'm sure they threw a bunch of money at Noth and it's not exactly bad for his career to remind everyone he's not an old, unhealthy man like his now-dead character.  

 

Quote

(The truth is that Ryan Reynolds will do virtually anything for a paycheck.).

This is the correct answer, yes. 

 

As for where this leaves the reboot series .... it's never good when the story is about something entirely different from the substance of the series itself.  They could have avoided some of this by not identifying/brand-placing Peleton in the first place.  Also ... maybe read the room?   There's nothing inherently wrong with exploring what would happen to Carrie if Big died (after all, he was always a decade older than her and had heart problems, and the original series explored these themes), but after a year plus of pandemic and depressing news, this is not the entertainment most of the target audience was looking for.

 

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Maysie said:

Well, I kinda call bullshit on complaining about people commenting on their looks, positive or negative. This is a reboot of a show that really transformed people’s thinking about fashion. A huge part of Sex and the City was about superficial, somewhat vapid things - shoes, handbags, jewelry. Ffs, shoes had their own storylines! It’s American consumerism laid bare, really the most shallow thing I can think of.

When you consider that the show built its brand on shiny objects, and then the rise of social media in the ensuing years, how on earth could anyone affiliated with the reboot not expect people to comment on appearance changes, good or bad? Carrie and company made for entertaining tv in their time, but a lot of people tuned in for the fluff-the shoes, the outfits, the glamour. It’s just unrealistic to expect people to not make comments. I understand the frustration at being judged by your appearance, however this is not great art we’re talking about. Superficiality was a centerpiece of the original series, so it’s disingenuous to be annoyed when the audience responds superficially.

Yes, you can not claim that we must be very serious about everything on this show and have a character who almost goes bankrupt on shoes.

Said character is then bailed out and learns nothing about life.

However, WE are the ones being shallow?

Hell, Carrie was called Jackie Kennedy in the second episode for looking fabulous at the funeral. I don't think it was because she held her assassinated husband's head in her lap.

I never tuned in to see what Walter White or Tony Soprano was wearing.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/13/2021 at 11:18 AM, chocolatine said:

https://people.com/style/kristin-davis-says-comments-about-and-just-like-that-appearance-make-her-angry/

Which is rich of her, because her character makes plenty of comments about Miranda's hair in the first episode.

I actually think that the show should address the fact that "Charlotte" looks like she had work done, because that would be pretty much de rigueur for a woman her age in her social/economic class. It's part of the issues of aging that women wrestle with - how much are we willing to give in to the process and what happens when we no longer look 30 anymore. How far are we willing/able to go in order to try to turn back the hands of time? And we'll be looking at some contrasts. Charlotte fighting with every tool that her plastic surgeon can offer, Miranda accepting the changes of her aging a bit more graciously and Carrie using youthful clothing to try to paint that she might be in her 50s now but she's a youthful 50s.

And it's not to poke fun at Kristin (though if I were in her shoes, I'd be suing my surgeon), but it's obvious that she's had several procedures done. Address it, and let "Charlotte" make it clear that she's happy with how she looks, her husband thinks that she's gorgeous and it was her choice to do so. That fighting the aging process is as valid a choice as accepting it. 

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 14
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Hell, Carrie was called Jackie Kennedy in the second episode for looking fabulous at the funeral.

OMG. I've been debating about watching any of this. Hard effing pass.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

I actually think that the show should address the fact that "Charlotte" looks like she had work done, because that would be pretty much de rigueur for a woman her age in her social/economic class. It's part of the issues of aging that women wrestle with - how much are we willing to give in to the process and what happens when we no longer look 30 anymore. How far are we willing/able to go in order to try to turn back the hands of time? And we'll be looking at some contrasts. Charlotte fighting with every tool that her plastic surgeon can offer, Miranda accepting the changes of her aging a bit more graciously and Carrie using youthful clothing to try to paint that she might be in her 50s now but she's a youthful 50s.

And it's not to poke fun at Kristin (though if I were in her shoes, I'd be suing my surgeon), but it's obvious that she's had several procedures done. Address it, and let "Charlotte" make it clear that she's happy with how she looks, her husband thinks that she's gorgeous and it was her choice to do so. That fighting the aging process is as valid a choice as accepting it. 

This is really great thinking.  Only catch is that Charlotte York Goldenblatt would never in a million years get such shitty work done to her face.  She would only go to the best of the best!  I would even go one step further and say that if Charlotte, Carrie and Miranda were out for drinks and ran into their old friend Kristin; whom they hadn't seen in years, and she did that (!!) to her face?  Oh, they would be as shocked and in awe as the rest of us were when we first started seeing the stills and the 3 of them wouldn't hesitate to discuss it amongst themselves.  And they would not be sparing the snark. 

To me, it wasn't the fact that Kristin had work done that was so shocking, it was that the work she had done was SOOOOOO bad.  When the buzz about your new show stops being about your show because nobody can stop talking about one of the beloved character's shocking new face, don't blame the fans who have loved you all since the beginning.  That shit is on Kristin, not us and  I really resent the disdain for the viewers and just people in general that SJP and Kristin Davis are showing all of a sudden just because we have eyes and couldn't help but notice.  And be sad that she did that to her beautiful face.  Because that's how I felt and most of the online chatter I read was along that same line; sadness for her for feeling like she needed to do that. But yes, calling people terrible and evil and mean and sexist and misogynistic is the way to handle this 🙄

Edited by Cementhead · Reason: clarity
  • Love 19
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

I actually think that the show should address the fact that "Charlotte" looks like she had work done, because that would be pretty much de rigueur for a woman her age in her social/economic class. It's part of the issues of aging that women wrestle with - how much are we willing to give in to the process and what happens when we no longer look 30 anymore. How far are we willing/able to go in order to try to turn back the hands of time? And we'll be looking at some contrasts. Charlotte fighting with every tool that her plastic surgeon can offer, Miranda accepting the changes of her aging a bit more graciously and Carrie using youthful clothing to try to paint that she might be in her 50s now but she's a youthful 50s.

And it's not to poke fun at Kristin (though if I were in her shoes, I'd be suing my surgeon), but it's obvious that she's had several procedures done. Address it, and let "Charlotte" make it clear that she's happy with how she looks, her husband thinks that she's gorgeous and it was her choice to do so. That fighting the aging process is as valid a choice as accepting it. 

This would be brilliant.

They could also address that Charlotte (though quite smart) is used to a certain amount  of “pretty privilege” most of her life and therefore felt more pressure than Miranda to get some work done.

 

  • Love 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think Kristin looks that bad. I mean, some people are saying that she "butchered" her face. Clearly she had work done, but we don't know what she would have looked like had she done nothing at all, not even one shot of Botox. She's not the Kristin/Charlotte of 20 years ago, but she wouldn't look like that now anyway even though she has great natural beauty. As someone who certainly could and maybe should spend some money to improve my looks, I have chosen not to, but I'm not a famous actress either. And I'm not quite 60 yet, so I might change my mind one day. Maybe when she knew she'd be doing AJLT Kristin decided to have work done in the hope of avoiding comments about how "bad and old" she looks, and unfortunately it's backfired.

Talking about it to the press about how your public shouldn't comment on your looks isn't a great idea when the show has already gone there with your character shaming a friend for going gray. Never complain, never explain, hold your head high and move on. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

I don't think Kristin looks that bad. I mean, some people are saying that she "butchered" her face. Clearly she had work done, but we don't know what she would have looked like had she done nothing at all, not even one shot of Botox. She's not the Kristin/Charlotte of 20 years ago, but she wouldn't look like that now anyway even though she has great natural beauty. As someone who certainly could and maybe should spend some money to improve my looks, I have chosen not to, but I'm not a famous actress either. And I'm not quite 60 yet, so I might change my mind one day. Maybe when she knew she'd be doing AJLT Kristin decided to have work done in the hope of avoiding comments about how "bad and old" she looks, and unfortunately it's backfired.

Talking about it to the press about how your public shouldn't comment on your looks isn't a great idea when the show has already gone there with your character shaming a friend for going gray. Never complain, never explain, hold your head high and move on. 

And if the press listens, they'd have nothing to write about.  They need to pay their rent/mortgage and eat, just like the rest of us.

Share this post


Link to post

I’m not watching the show so I haven’t seen much of any of the women except for what little I’ve seen online. Kristin doesn’t look as bad as some people who have had work that I’ve seen; my main thing is that she doesn’t look quite like herself. I keep thinking of some other actress and I can’t quite grasp who it is. Its not that she’s unrecognizable, but when I look at her, I think of someone else (and it’s going to drive me nuts until I figure out who it is!)

To me, that’s the tragedy of cosmetic surgery: people who alter their appearance such that they lose some of those defining qualities that help make them who they are. I know looks are superficial, and in the big scheme of things, ultimately not what’s really important. And I also understand the pressure women (especially famous women) have to conform to standards of beauty and how we’re made to feel bad or insufficient or whatever for having the nerve to age. But I am always disappointed when people radically change their appearance, no matter their age or gender. None of the women on the show seem to fall in this category, however when I look at Kristin and spend more time trying to figure who the hell she reminds me of, that’s a bit problematic.

Finally, I’d be willing to bet that about 95% of people who have been to any sort of reunion had at least one conversation that consisted of “did you see so and so!? Doesn’t he/she look great/awful!!”Its plain old human nature to remark on the visible changes you can see when you revisit someone after a while. That’s the risk of doing series reunions; any actor who isn’t ready for that scrutiny should probably take a pass on participating.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

The series had absolutely zero qualms about repeatedly using Samantha’s obsession with maintaining appearances as a punchline (the facial peel from hell, her going in for a Boob Job consult only to discover cancer, saying she’s had Botox in the first movie) and Cattrall had to roll with it.  So there’s definitely precedent if they wanted to go that route with KD.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Cementhead said:

This is really great thinking.  Only catch is that Charlotte York Goldenblatt would never in a million years get such shitty work done to her face.  She would only go to the best of the best!  I would even go one step further and say that if Charlotte, Carrie and Miranda were out for drinks and ran into their old friend Kristin; whom they hadn't seen in years, and she did that (!!) to her face?  Oh, they would be as shocked and in awe as the rest of us were when we first started seeing the stills and the 3 of them wouldn't hesitate to discuss it amongst themselves.  And they would not be sparing the snark. 

To me, it wasn't the fact that Kristin had work done that was so shocking, it was that the work she had done was SOOOOOO bad.  When the buzz about your new show stops being about your show because nobody can stop talking about one of the beloved character's shocking new face, don't blame the fans who have loved you all since the beginning.  That shit is on Kristin, not us and  I really resent the disdain for the viewers and just people in general that SJP and Kristin Davis are showing all of a sudden just because we have eyes and couldn't help but notice.  And be sad that she did that to her beautiful face.  Because that's how I felt and most of the online chatter I read was along that same line; sadness for her for feeling like she needed to do that. But yes, calling people terrible and evil and mean and sexist and misogynistic is the way to handle this 🙄

Charlotte is someone who loved natural beauty, but did like for everyone and everything to be pretty. You're correct that Charlotte would more than likely get good work done, but stuff still happens even with people who do their research and go to the best doctors. 

I think Kristin is still an attractive woman and hope whatever she's had done settles/fades. A friend of my mother's had her eyes done, thought it was the biggest regret of her life, but she eventually looked more like her old self. 

Here's a picture of Kristin from January 2020. She was aging gracefully. I do think some people can be pretty harsh and just not expect these women to age at all, but I don't think the reminders to appreciate natural beauty and be cautious getting work done are bad. 

https://admediaphoto.photoshelter.com/image/I0000Y_ZQSUwD2U4

 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:09 PM, Lethallyfab said:

Excellent points all around.

Which, if that talk is supposed to be off-limits, can we talk about how absolutely shallow and degrading the series was regarding the appearance of the men in it?  Was Charlotte a brutal misandrist for being repulsed by Harry’s back hair?   Is Bobby Cannavale triggered on a weekly basis from being thought of and referred to as “Mr Funky Spunk?”

I do think there’s a line between criticism and cruelty but I don’t think it’s inherently misogynistic to talk about how an actress’s face has changed because acting is an art dedicated in large part due to how one’s face looks and reacts to stuff!  
 

Those are interesting questions! I'd say if Charlotte were the type to let herself go and not bother trying to be attractive and expected a hairless back and washboard abs, yeah that would actually be misandrist. (Like the misogynistic men who are ugly and out of shape but expect women to look like Barbies.) But Charlotte was pretty equal as far as thinking both men and women should be groomed, and women ultimately put way more time and energy into it even if Harry were to keep his back waxed. I do feel bad for that actor still being known as the funky spunk guy! I'd die. 

Agree with you. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

 There's nothing inherently wrong with exploring what would happen to Carrie if Big died (after all, he was always a decade older than her and had heart problems, and the original series explored these themes), but after a year plus of pandemic and depressing news, this is not the entertainment most of the target audience was looking for.

Yes, that's exactly it! I'm just too depressed already. I just CAN'T with Big dying.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Maysie said:

To me, that’s the tragedy of cosmetic surgery: people who alter their appearance such that they lose some of those defining qualities that help make them who they are. I know looks are superficial, and in the big scheme of things, ultimately not what’s really important. And I also understand the pressure women (especially famous women) have to conform to standards of beauty and how we’re made to feel bad or insufficient or whatever for having the nerve to age. But I am always disappointed when people radically change their appearance, no matter their age or gender. None of the women on the show seem to fall in this category, however when I look at Kristin and spend more time trying to figure who the hell she reminds me of, that’s a bit problematic.

I think part of the problem is that it's hard to predict how one will look after having work done.  What doesn't come out looking bad on one person will on another.  Also what doesn't fundamentally alter one person's face will fundamentally alter another's.  Remember "Dirty Dancing" actress Jennifer Grey's famous "career ending nose job"?  Even her close friends didn't recognize her afterward.  She came to regret that move.  It's sad that women feel as if they have to go to such lengths to look acceptable.  I don't see what was wrong with Kristin's face beforehand.  The more I look at her the more I think she may have had upper lip plumping injections, which wear off in time.  I hope it's that and not something more permanent.  To me her upper lip is the biggest offender.  Her appearance is reminding me of Valerie Bertinelli who went through an upper lip plumping phase recently.  Thankfully it seems to have worn off and is gone on her most recent cooking show season.

8 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Talking about it to the press about how your public shouldn't comment on your looks isn't a great idea when the show has already gone there with your character shaming a friend for going gray. Never complain, never explain, hold your head high and move on. 

Yup, isn't that irony a kicker, though?  I wonder if they'll continue with Miranda's hair color as a subject in future episodes.  Speaking of that I thought it was one of those icy ash blonde looks, not a natural gray.  At least it looks good, not like she's letting herself go or anything.

And I'm surprised at Kristin.  She's been in the public eye long enough to know that appearance is fair game for public reaction when you're famous.  I think that given how attractive she still is, she's not used to such a negative reaction about her appearance so it's harder for her to take.  And speaking of Valerie Bertinelli, she's another one that has come down hard on fat/appearance shamers on her social media.  It does suck that people can't accept an older woman showing signs of age and I really can't blame her and Kristin for rushing out to get lip injections and then being upset at negative reactions to their appearance.  But I think that being in the public eye they should also show some class in how they come off to the public in response.  It's still sad that there is so much pressure on these famous women that they give into these procedures.  Getting older, especially for women, already sucks but to feel like you have to live up to an unattainable standard and be subject to such harsh scrutiny makes it even worse.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size