Type keyword(s) to search

And Just Like That in the Media

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

False accusations of sexual assault are not common and no more common than false accusations of any other crime (2 to 10%).  The false belief that lying about sexual assault runs rampant is a (sexist, in my opinion) myth that is propagated to discredit real survivors.

I'm aware of that. Most of us who post here are woman. Most women have experienced sexual harassment. 

I've also had friends of mine falsely accused of both harassment and rape. And before anyone says I don't know for a fact or implies sexism, without going into a ton of detail, the harassment instances were utter bullshit (one a case of homophobia), and luckily neither of my friends got into trouble. A former friend of mine claimed rape at a party where we were in the same room the entire time, and she's called many men rapists. She throws around the word rape like it means nothing. That to me is way more offensive and dangerous than wondering if it's at all possible an allegation could be false. I could go into many other stories. So trust me, I'd never want to discredit real survivors. I am one. My worst experience would shock the hell out of anyone who knows me IRL because it's so horrible. I've also experienced a lot of other things and know mean and vindictive people can be. One girl falsely accused me and a couple other women of sleeping with her husband. She was out for revenge on social media over stuff none of us did nor had any interest in. We had a family friend who had to sue for slander over some other false accusations. So while most people do not lie about heinous things, there enough out there who do that I don't instantly believe everything I read. 

• Love 12
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

: Reading this article, it includes behavior on the set of SATC. To think I liked Chris Noth.

We don't know what we don't know.  He was such a good actor,  On screen and off screen apparently.  I don't see how he can ever come back from this. I will continue to watch L & O, the Good Wife and SATC but I will never be able to see him without thinking about what he is accused of doing.  

• Love 2

Louis C.K. is doing just fine. There's a long, long list of other men who are completely disgusting rapist shitbags who haven't been affected one fucking bit. Cancel culture doesn't exist. I'm not debating this.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 18
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

False accusations of sexual assault are not common and no more common than false accusations of any other crime (2 to 10%).  The false belief that lying about sexual assault runs rampant is a (sexist, in my opinion) myth that is propagated to discredit real survivors.

What you say is very true and I don't doubt it in most cases, but what has not been studied or factored in are the cases that involve famous/high profile people.  These cases are not typical because there are possible motives for false accusations that are not present in cases with people not in the limelight.  What we have seen so far with these cases is that they seem to bring a lot of people out of the woodwork.  A few of them might be true or at least have some truth to them but others may not be.  The fact that the first couple were made public can affect the situation and encourage copycats to come forward.  It may be motivated by revenge for being dumped, or a flirtation that was grossly exaggerated.  In today's society there are unfortunately a lot of people that will stop at virtually nothing and will seize the opportunity to get their 15 minutes of fame/ability to look like a victim and get tons of sympathy and support in a very public way.  That's the only reason I reserve judgment until there is more evidence. 

• Love 5

Please point us to where this has happened to these "high-profile" people.

And how do you know these cases aren't factored in the statistics? I'm legitimately asking. Do you work in law enforcement?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

Here's a National Sexual Violence Resource Center report that discusses "false reporting". The NSVRC works in collaboration with state and territory sexual assault coalitions, representatives from underserved populations, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the U.S. Department of Justice's Office on Violence Against Women. The report cites three studies with "false report" statistics of 2.1–7.1%, while also stating,

The majority of sexual assaults, an estimated 63 percent, are never reported to the police (Rennison, 2002). The prevalence of false reporting cases of sexual violence is low (Lisak, Gardinier, Nicksa, & Cote, 2010), yet when survivors come forward, many face scrutiny or encounter barriers. For example, when an assault is reported, survivors may feel that their victimization has been redefined and even distorted by those who investigate, process, and categorize cases.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Please point us to where this has happened to these "high-profile" people.

And how do you know these cases aren't factored in the statistics? I'm legitimately asking. Do you work in law enforcement?

I didn't come here to point out where or whether this has happened, but to point out how it is possible that this could happen and what the possible motives could be.  I don't think anyone has studied the specific situations involving famous and high profile people so there is no way to know whether or not this has actually happened.  Especially in "he said/she said cases" where there is nothing but testimony to go on, I doubt there is any way for anyone to know for sure.  And no I'm not in law enforcement.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And to protect rape culture (or at least not to have to do the hard work of dismantling it), and to protect rapists, most of whom are brothers, sons, boyfriends and husbands.

• Love 11
43 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I didn't come here to point out where or whether this has happened, but to point out how it is possible that this could happen and what the possible motives could be.  I don't think anyone has studied the specific situations involving famous and high profile people so there is no way to know whether or not this has actually happened.  Especially in "he said/she said cases" where there is nothing but testimony to go on, I doubt there is any way for anyone to know for sure.  And no I'm not in law enforcement.

So you're just slinging baseless accusations about victims. Interesting.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

So you're just slinging baseless accusations about victims. Interesting.

Alleged victims. IMHO testimony does not necessarily equal fact and in my world women are just as capable of lying or exaggerating as men.  It might be true but not just by virtue of being testimony.  It would be just as plausible to claim the accusers are slinging baseless accusations.  I'm not saying that, though.  For all I know all or most of them are telling the truth and he is a full-on predator.  I'm just saying that either way it's all a matter of what or who a person chooses to believe.  In the end we all have to choose based on what we believe in cases like this. I'm just not ready yet to commit to any belief.

Sometimes these cases are a matter of perception and misunderstanding between people. Sometimes men honestly misread the signals women send.  They are all not jackasses or rapists just because they aren't reading them correctly.  And some women could be unaware of how they are sending confusing signals.  There could be a big gray area in some of the cases that isn't being factored into the equation.  But there really is no way to know what the intentions or misunderstandings were in cases where there is no hard evidence but only testimony.  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm aware of that. Most of us who post here are woman. Most women have experienced sexual harassment. 

I've also had friends of mine falsely accused of both harassment and rape. And before anyone says I don't know for a fact or implies sexism, without going into a ton of detail, the harassment instances were utter bullshit (one a case of homophobia), and luckily neither of my friends got into trouble. A former friend of mine claimed rape at a party where we were in the same room the entire time, and she's called many men rapists. She throws around the word rape like it means nothing. That to me is way more offensive and dangerous than wondering if it's at all possible an allegation could be false. I could go into many other stories. So trust me, I'd never want to discredit real survivors. I am one. My worst experience would shock the hell out of anyone who knows me IRL because it's so horrible. I've also experienced a lot of other things and know mean and vindictive people can be. One girl falsely accused me and a couple other women of sleeping with her husband. She was out for revenge on social media over stuff none of us did nor had any interest in. We had a family friend who had to sue for slander over some other false accusations. So while most people do not lie about heinous things, there enough out there who do that I don't instantly believe everything I read. 

Thank you.  I would imagine that Chris Noth has had experiences with many different women given his fame and I'm sure he's run into enough that might misconstrue or misinterpret his intentions.  I have no agenda to discredit real survivors.  I've been on the victim end of sexual harassment at work and in college myself, by a boss and a professor.  I have also been falsely accused of having an affair with my old high school boyfriend by his overly jealous wife.  We were always on good terms before and after we dated.  He came to my wedding and my husband and I went to his.  My husband knew and liked him.  This man's wife's jealousy was ignited when he and I worked remotely on our high school reunion committee and engaged in a few phone calls regarding our progress.  It was nothing more than that but somehow she became convinced we were having an affair, which was ludicrous because we lived at some distance.  At first my husband shrugged it off but he became pretty pissed that she would make such baseless accusations about me and considered calling them to tell her to knock it off.  He didn't have to.  I called and told her myself.  I never heard a peep out of her after that and I didn't let her intimidate me into stepping down from the committee or going to the reunion either.  Fortunately this occurred before social media or who knows what might have happened?

Although not sexual, my best friend was fired from her job of 30 years at a major university over false allegations made by a female coworker who claimed she hit her in the copy room (which was the only area in the office that conveniently had no camera).  My friend said she barely knew the woman and had never even had a conversation with her much less have hit her.  When questioned, my friend's bosses kept asking her why anyone would make false charges against her if it wasn't true.  She told them she had no idea why and suggested they ask the accuser.  Unfortunately the university chose to believe the accuser and terminated my friend.  She was forced to retire early at 62 because right afterward the pandemic began.  To say that this has hurt her and permanently screwed up her life is an understatement.  She is in my house spending the holiday with me right now and continues to cry over this situation 2 years later.  And I believe my friend of 48 years.  She has never lied to me and has admitted other unflattering things about herself to me before.  There would be no reason for her to lie about this.  

• Useful 1

"Holding out judgement" for the perpetrators is blatantly insulting to sexual assault victims like me, who is in that other majority of folks who have never reported any assaults. There's an unfathomable gap between "misread signals" and rape...and even between "misread signals" and plain old CONSENT. The argument that misreading a woman's intentions somehow justifies sexual assault is utterly disgusting.

We live in a patriarchal society that perpetuates rape culture, as @Ms Blue Jay mentioned upthread. Women and girls in particular, but also all genders, are conditioned to think that "mixed signals" justify assault, and it's horrifying and revolting. It's part of social conditioning and internalized misogyny for women to not believe female assault victims.

Another symptom of this social conditioning is that it may take years for victims to reconcile what happened to them. If it was a so-called "gray area", such as being shoved against a wall and fondled, maybe one tried not to think too much about it at the time, but yes, that, too, is assault. Forcing oneself on another is assault, period. Imagine if a man did it to another man. See? Assault.

With knowledge and experience comes a new set of lenses with which we begin to view our past experiences and realize how harmful they really were to us. Then comes dealing with the repressed trauma. Absolutely not everyone can or will deal with it, but I wholeheartedly celebrate those who do. Speaking out about one's trauma is healing, while incredibly difficult. Being doubted that you are even telling the truth is devastating.

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
Just now, bilgistic said:

"Holding out judgement" for the perpetrators is blatantly insulting to sexual assault victims like me, who is in that other majority of folks who have never reported any assaults. There's an unfathomable gap between "misread signals" and rape...and even between "misread signals" and plain old CONSENT. The argument that misreading a woman's intentions somehow justifies sexual assault is utterly disgusting.

We live in a patriarchal society that perpetuates rape culture, as @Ms Blue Jay mentioned upthread. Women and girls in particular, but also all genders, are conditioned to think that "mixed signals" justify assault, and it's horrifying and revolting. It's part of social conditioning and internalized misogyny for women to not believe female assault victims.

Mixed signals never justifies assault but I'm a jaded old New Yorker that doesn't believe anything just because someone says it happened the way they said it did without a lot of consideration first.  It's nothing personal, nor does it mean any disrespect for real victims, and I'm sorry you're reading it that way.  At some point I will be willing to commit to a belief in this situation with Chris Noth, but I'm just not there yet.

• Love 3

Keli Goff explained on writer’s intention re Charlotte’s storyline in E04.

And Just Like That...The Writers Room Podcast | Episode 3 | HBO Max (42 mins)

Writer, director, and executive producer Michael Patrick King and executive producers, Elisa Zuritsky and Julie Rottenberg welcome Keli Goff to the writers room. Keli shares how her encyclopedic knowledge of Sex and the City informed ideas for the episode, including Charlotte’s obsessive plan to impress at LTW’s dinner party. Then, the group discusses how varied choices around motherhood in the writers room informed the vulnerable conversation between Miranda and Nya. Also, Michael Patrick King shares the touching scene they wanted to film, between Carrie and Stanford, before Willie Garson’s passing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The women look so pretty in this interview, Cynthia in particular. I love her hair and makeup. Beautiful. 

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/sarah-jessica-parker-tears-up-over-sex-and-the-city-revival/

I didn't know this . . .

“Cynthia and Kristin are executive producers now, and Cynthia is directing.”

“You can never go home again. Except very occasionally, you actually can,” Nixon, 55, added. “This amazing thing that happened in your life, 25 years ago…”

Many of us have had a lot of criticism of the revival, but there is a going home feeling even for me as a fan. The shows and movies have been a huge part of so many of our lives; it's kind of hard to picture no more SATC ever again. I'd honestly love for them to have a Golden Girls type of show one day. lol

• Love 5
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Many of us have had a lot of criticism of the revival, but there is a going home feeling even for me as a fan. The shows and movies have been a huge part of so many of our lives; it's kind of hard to picture no more SATC ever again.

As much as I wanted to see the characters again seeing them the way the revival is showing them makes me think I would have been better off imagining where they would be right now.  There is something missing from the writing.  In the original show it felt like we were watching four friends on their journey to something.  For Charlotte it was getting her happily ever after. For Samantha it was finally letting herself to love and be loved.  For Miranda it was realizing what she thought she wanted wasn't what she really wanted and for Carrie it was finally getting her Mr. Big.    But this time around it feels like that journey we saw them take was all for naught.  Charlotte is (as of right now anyways) being allowed to keep her happily ever after (but I swear to fucking god if they give Harry colon cancer I'm going to be pissed).  But Miranda is being positioned to 1. Have a drinking problem and 2. Realizing she doesn't want to be married, To a man.   I was never a fan of Steve and liked him even less when they made him and Miranda the end game but after seeing them work their way back to each other in the first movie I am sad to see their marriage this way.  And while I understand the writers wanted to have Carrie move on from Big I don't have faith they will do it in such a way that doesn't look like she is regressing and not moving forward.

As someone who watched soap operas for years I know writers say it isn't easy to write for happy couples but for fuck sake could they at least try?

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 14
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

The women look so pretty in this interview, Cynthia in particular. I love her hair and makeup. Beautiful. 

She can really pull off the intense makeup.  She almost looks otherworldly in a good way.

• Love 5

While I have issues with the reboot, I don't hate how it's unfolded so far.

This show, despite having three of the SATC mains, never felt like a direct sequel to the series and movies, even though it technically is. AJLT is supposed to be a standalone series. It's supposed to have new characters thrown into the mix because it's a different show, and a lot has happened in the culture since SATC ended and the movies came out.

I've seen criticism in different forums about why won't SJP (and the others) move on. The other actors have regular gigs too. I don't think any of them are close to living on the street.

So, maybe it's partially a money thing, but this show's predecessor and its characters are (for better or worse) pop culture icons. Older fans and the younger generations still watch the series and movies in syndication.

I can only assume that the bigger motivator is that SJP, Kristin Davis, and Cynthia Nixon loved being part of SATC. They became close friends during the time (although SJP and Cynthia had known each other for years). I'm guessing they, too, were curious to see how their characters have evolved over two decades. 

Kim decided she was done with exploring her role as Samantha. I don't begrudge her for moving forward. At first, I missed her on this show, but I've been slowly getting over it as this series continues.

I'm not a fan of the way the new writers kind of dumbed down the OGs, but I also kind of get it. We're all trying to figure out how to navigate the intricacies of how to behave toward and respect people from marginalized backgrounds who, back when SATC aired, also didn't have much positive representation and fully fleshed out character roles in films and in TV. 

Progressive characters and storylines don't bother me. Right now, I think that the writing of these new characters is clunky. The writers need to have these relationships develop organically. 

If this series goes beyond one season, they need to tighten up the writing or perhaps, invest in more diverse and talented writers to handle the kind of material that's relevant to where we all are now.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Surrealist said:

AJLT is supposed to be a standalone series. It's supposed to have new characters thrown into the mix because it's a different show, and a lot has happened in the culture since SATC ended and the movies came out.

This is my main criticism of the show.  They are telling stories that don't seem to be Carrie, Charlotte, and Miranda's stories.  It would be one thing if brand new producers and writers were doing this but it's MPK and writers from SATC.  They know these characters.  Yes a lot of things have changed but it's not like these three women were in a coma for the past 10 years and are having a culture shock.  

3 hours ago, Surrealist said:

We're all trying to figure out how to navigate the intricacies of how to behave toward and respect people from marginalized backgrounds who, back when SATC aired, also didn't have much positive representation and fully fleshed out character roles in films and in TV. 

This might be true for a lot of people but Miranda was in a relationship with a black man.  Charlotte adopted a child from China.  And one of Carrie's best friends was a gay man.  IMO their unsure sometimes cringey behavior just doesn't ring true. With that being said I so far Charlotte's reactions to Rose has been handled well.  Let's hope the show doesn't fuck that up.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

This is my main criticism of the show.  They are telling stories that don't seem to be Carrie, Charlotte, and Miranda's stories.  It would be one thing if brand new producers and writers were doing this but it's MPK and writers from SATC.  They know these characters.  Yes a lot of things have changed but it's not like these three women were in a coma for the past 10 years and are having a culture shock.  

This might be true for a lot of people but Miranda was in a relationship with a black man.  Charlotte adopted a child from China.  And one of Carrie's best friends was a gay man.  IMO their unsure sometimes cringey behavior just doesn't ring true. With that being said I so far Charlotte's reactions to Rose has been handled well.  Let's hope the show doesn't fuck that up.

The problem in the series and movies was that people from marginalized groups were too-often treated as marginalized or generic. Phrases like "the gays" and treating gay friends like accessories. Samantha had a lesbian relationship but ended it because her girlfriend wanted to talk "too much" about emotions and the relationship, a stereotype of gay women. Samantha dated an African American man and his sister didn't want her to date him because, to paraphrase her reason, there aren't enough good Black men for Black women. That's true to a certain extent (according to my Black female friends) but it's also a trope that was used (misused?) for the show. I'd like to see Charlotte and Harry have one conversation about their older child being a different ethnicity from theirs and her sister's and if they are doing enough to recognize her birth culture. Being a piano prodigy isn't enough.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 8

It sounds as though there’s been nothing said about Charlotte and Harry trying to give their adopted daughter some sense of her ancestry, and that’s a bit of a shame because that could have been a somewhat organic storyline to look at cultural issues. If one daughter is questioning gender identity then the other would be of an age to start questioning her background and her cultural heritage. Maybe they are doing that, or maybe they’re planning to do so, (I’m not watching the show) but I haven’t seen reference to it in recaps. But if not, it’s kind of a missed opportunity. Instead it sounds like Charlotte’s character is checking off one of the “Black friend” storyline boxes.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Maysie said:

It sounds as though there’s been nothing said about Charlotte and Harry trying to give their adopted daughter some sense of her ancestry, and that’s a bit of a shame because that could have been a somewhat organic storyline to look at cultural issues. If one daughter is questioning gender identity then the other would be of an age to start questioning her background and her cultural heritage. Maybe they are doing that, or maybe they’re planning to do so, (I’m not watching the show) but I haven’t seen reference to it in recaps. But if not, it’s kind of a missed opportunity. Instead it sounds like Charlotte’s character is checking off one of the “Black friend” storyline boxes.

That's what I've been saying!  The only "hint" of Asian culture is the piano playing stereotype, if you can consider that "culture" at all!  What's next, Lily has a 4.0 GPA and loves STEM?  

• Love 12
2 hours ago, RedHawk said:

The problem in the series and movies was that people from marginalized groups were too-often treated as marginalized or generic. Phrases like "the gays" and treating gay friends like accessories. Samantha had a lesbian relationship but ended it because her girlfriend wanted to talk "too much" about emotions and the relationship, a stereotype of gay women. Samantha dated an African American man and his sister didn't want her to date him because, to paraphrase her reason, there aren't enough good Black men for Black women. That's true to a certain extent (according to my Black female friends) but it's also a trope that was used (misused?) for the show. I'd like to see Charlotte and Harry have one conversation about their older child being a different ethnicity from theirs and her sister's and if they are doing enough to recognize her birth culture. Being a piano prodigy isn't enough.

Thank you. The marginalized characters on SATC were basically token characters.

It's been a while since I've watched the series, but I vaguely remember Miranda making some awkward comment highlighting the fact that Robert is a Black doctor, which made me cringe. 

That someone knows/is friends with a person of color or knows/is friends with a person from the LGBTQ+ community doesn't mean that person can't also be problematic.

There were a lot of cringe moments from the women in both the series and in the movies.

As much as I like Samantha, I can't ever unhear her comments about trans folks (especially using the word "t*****").

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Thank you. The marginalized characters on SATC were basically token characters.

It's been a while since I've watched the series, but I vaguely remember Miranda making some awkward comment highlighting the fact that Robert is a Black doctor, which made me cringe. 

That someone knows/is friends with a person of color or knows/is friends with a person from the LGBTQ+ community doesn't mean that person can't also be problematic.

There were a lot of cringe moments from the women in both the series and in the movies.

As much as I like Samantha, I can't ever unhear her comments about trans folks (especially using the word "t*****").

I hate the term “marginalized” because they often apply it to people who are also lower income.  Stanford, Anthony, Lily, Lisa, etc are NOT lower income.  It increases the whole idea of victim hood and it’s actually very offensive.  Media love doing this, as do DE&I groups.  /rant

I DO want to see more exploration of Lily’s heritage, but not in a stereotypical intercultural adoption parents kind of way.  I had to leave an international adoption FB group when my husband and I were exploring that because I was bullied too much for offering my own perspective as a child of immigrants!

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I hate the term “marginalized” because they often apply it to people who are also lower income.  Stanford, Anthony, Lily, Lisa, etc are NOT lower income.  It increases the whole idea of victim hood and it’s actually very offensive.  Media love doing this, as do DE&I groups.  /rant

I don't use socioeconomic class in my definition, but YMMV.

I wasn't meaning to be offensive.

This forum is starting to feel like AJLT subreddit.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Why Cynthia Nixon was ‘reluctant’ to appear in Sex and the City reboot, And Just Like That

“It was a very hard decision. I really didn’t think I was going to do it – I was very reluctant. But the more I talked to Sarah Jessica, [writer-creator] Michael Patrick King, and Kristin [Davis], about the things that I couldn’t go back without – a real sea change in terms of the lack of diversity in the original series, they were on board.”

• Useful 3
On 12/28/2021 at 8:46 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Why Cynthia Nixon was ‘reluctant’ to appear in Sex and the City reboot, And Just Like That

“It was a very hard decision. I really didn’t think I was going to do it – I was very reluctant. But the more I talked to Sarah Jessica, [writer-creator] Michael Patrick King, and Kristin [Davis], about the things that I couldn’t go back without – a real sea change in terms of the lack of diversity in the original series, they were on board.”

While I applaud the desire to show more diversity, the apparent change for Miranda still is not ringing true to me. Maybe it was a condition for Ms. Nixon's return, which...her prerogative.

But, again, for me, acting should mean that Miranda can be different from Cynthia. But it is what it is.

However, I'll be honest: This revival is sadly killing the desire to ever watch the original series again. The "How I Met Your Mother Formula" claims another one.

• Love 17
11 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The Sex and the City Reboot Has All The Same Themes but None of the Fun

'And Just Like That…' seems to suffer from the same fate as so much art under capitalism: a formerly fresh and compelling show has now, in an impossible effort to appeal to as broad an audience as possible, cannibalised itself beyond the point of parody.

This is true.  While trying to appeal to new viewers they have turned off the viewers they already had.  At least they turned me off.  I understand that characters need to grow and evolve but IMO that is not what we are seeing.  I will keep watching but sadly this reboot hasn't lived up to what I had  hoped it could be.  Oh who am kidding?  I knew it would be a disappointment.  

• Love 16
22 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Samantha had a lesbian relationship but ended it because her girlfriend wanted to talk "too much" about emotions and the relationship, a stereotype of gay women. 

This was such a gross (to me) stereotypical way of attempting to address Samantha’s intimacy issues and discomfort with love. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Did you all already know Cathy Ang who plays Lily is in her mid20s?! Wow. She looks so young. 

https://www.wmagazine.com/culture/cathy-ang-and-just-like-that-lily-interview

At least she’s younger than Gabrielle Carteris was when she was playing Andrea!

Remember JHud’s character from the first movie?  Wouldn’t it have been better to bring HER back for a new series?  I know she got married in the movie, but hey, anything can happen 12-13 years later!  

• Love 7
7 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Thanks to Twitter I was tipped off about this first pilot episode shot for AJLT.

Thank you!  I remember this.  It was the TV Land awards.  The little piece they did is funnier and more interesting than the SATC reboot.  

The Golden Girls dealt with a lot of issues.  Race, illegal immigration, death, LGBT, aging.  They did it much better than Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte.

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, beagletime said:

Thank you!  I remember this.  It was the TV Land awards.  The little piece they did is funnier and more interesting than the SATC reboot.  

The Golden Girls dealt with a lot of issues.  Race, illegal immigration, death, LGBT, aging.  They did it much better than Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte.

The Golden Girls should be a guide on how to properly do "woke" as we call it today.   May all the "girls" RIP :(

• Love 13
5 hours ago, beagletime said:

💯 And this show, I believe, has many more fans than SATC. Deservedly so. I still catch the reruns, which run on so many different channels. 😂

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Problem with the show is the writers room.  Samantha Irby's humor is different than the humor of Sex and the City.

Plus, she seems bitter and I'm sure secretly is taking out her resentments out on these characters...imho

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, PRgal said:

The Golden Girls should be a guide on how to properly do "woke" as we call it today.   May all the "girls" RIP :(

Golden Girls worked and still works because their "wokeness" wasn't wokeness. They were just who they were. They believed what they believed and treated people the way they treated them because they were on the right side.  There was never an agenda.  The same cannot be said for AJLT.

10 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Problem with the show is the writers room.  Samantha Irby's humor is different than the humor of Sex and the City.

Plus, she seems bitter and I'm sure secretly is taking out her resentments out on these characters...imho

I had  heard the name Samantha Irby before but didn't know who she was. Am I wrong in thinking Che is supposed to be her?

• Love 4

The New York Times has a piece that echos the many criticisms on the board. 
Middle Age Doesn’t Happen Just Like That

I don’t know if it’s behind a paywall but here’s a snippet that sums it up well:

Or at least that appears to be the perspective of AJLT, which depicts a world of middle-aged characters suspended in perpetual astonishment and discomfort about everything they encounter, from commonplace political and social phenomena to their own bodies. (Warning: spoilers ahead.)

“It’s as if its characters must have been asleep for 20 years and awakened utterly gob-smacked to find themselves encountering such things as Black professors, nonbinary children and queer longings,” said Joy Castro, 54, a writer and professor of English and ethnic studies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

The characters do seem Rip Van Winkle-like, as they stumble upon and blink in amazement at very unsurprising things. “Wow! Instagram? Podcasts?” marvels Miranda at some of Carrie’s latest endeavors, as if these were edgy new enterprises.

Rip Van Winkle indeed!

• Love 19
15 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

From The Cut: Steve Deserves Better.

And he really does!

I was going to link this but you beat me to it.

I'm not a Steve fan but the character deserves so much better than this.  

14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Although, with this shitty writing, I fully expect Steve to be turned into an asshole to excuse Miranda's behavior. But I won't fall for the manipulation, should it happen.

They can do that but nothing is going to erase my memory of how heartbroken and unforgiving Miranda was when Steve cheated on her. 

• Love 5