Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Partners ‘Til the End

paulvdb

I will have to go back and put all my other episode opinions in, but this one in particular I wanted to get while it was still 'fresh', and it's 2.30am here and I need sleep.

I liked the ending.  I had concerns when they were at the piano because Ildy lied strongly implied that it was the final scene and I was bawling my eyes out at the TV and shouting a lot, then I hit pause and realised the episode still had 20 minutes left.

A lot of people wanted Lucifer and Chloe to grow old together and honestly I'm probably one of them, but I'm okay with the way it turned out.  When Amenadiel appeared next to Chloe when she arrived in Heaven I actually shouted "I'M TRUSTING YOU AMENADIEL" which is a giant improvement from "throwing my remote at the TV" which is what I was about to do at the thought of them splitting up Lucifer and Chloe for eternity.

And really, they did end up working as partners in 'the family business', just not quite how they envisaged. I love that we got another shot of Reece, and Le Mec clearly has a very long way to go.

I'm going to fanwank that Trixie was on Mars and that's why she wasn't at Chloe's deathbed. And also that now Chloe's there and able to help out, they take occasional breaks and visit their friends in Heaven (or vice versa).

Dan getting the pudding on a silver platter made me laugh out loud, and I'm so happy they brought Tricia back one last time.

I have to go back and re-watch the warehouse fight because it was great but there was one incredible shot of Lucifer opening his wings and leaping on top of a shipping container that took my breath away.  The flying scenes sometimes look awkward, but that one was absolutely stunning and almost balletic.

Ildy and Joe described it as 'bittersweet', I don't really think it was that bittersweet.  A little maybe.  I think Chloe always had faith that she'd be reunited with Lucifer, and that's how she was able to live her life in relative happiness.

• Love 11

I also may as well post while “fresh” off the finale.  I did not love the ending.  ETA:  I didn’t hate it, to be clear.

The “Kid From the Future” trope is extremely common in sci-fi (see TVTropes.org for a nice list).  Just because it is common does not mean that it is bad (there are some tropes that I absolutely eat up every time I see them), but I personally really, really dislike this one, so that has just been a struggle this season for me.  I find it tedious that the kid has to come back kind of confrontational and mysterious about the future, and that the parents always get the short end of the stick at the end of the day because they have to save their bratty (but really just confused or misunderstood) kid.  It also pushed Trixie to the background (when a stepparent relationship with Lucifer would have been quite interesting in light of Dan’s death).

I don’t know why showrunners are allergic to unqualified happy endings.  I could have gotten over the Rory thing if the show had just ended happily.  I know many will disagree with me that the ending was not, but I found the ending depressing as Hell (pun intended).  Time on Earth is important and valuable to humans in this show.  (See how torn up even angels, who know about the eternal existence in Heaven, are when the life of a human loved one or friend is cut short—like Amenadiel with Caleb and Charlotte, and Lucifer with Father Frank.)  I think that is in part because time on earth is so determinative of your afterlife experience but also because being on Earth is a unique and liberating experience that will never come round again, no matter the eons you spend in Heaven.  So in spite of how important this limited time is, Chloe sacrifices her own chance at true happiness for the rest of her earthly existence.  Which, mind you, is not that much longer (only 20 years?), meaning she also leaves 2 relatively young daughters (adults, yes, but still young) orphaned on Earth.  I guess that I mean that Chloe’s life on Earth was just plain sad overall (her father died, her ex (a trusted co-parent and friend) died, her one true love left her alone and pregnant, then she died.

Then Lucifer is forced into inflicting a similar trauma on his daughter that he endured with his father, and I while I know that Rory is 100% okay with this, it was super contrived how she backed him into this corner.  (If he had “commuted” between Hell and Earth like we saw Amenadiel do, would that not have alleviated Rory’s trauma?  And I know you can say that she willingly took on that trauma to force Lucifer’s realization that his “glorious purpose” (to borrow from another universe) was to help people trapped in Hell, but I think we were on the verge of him organically realizing that, given how Mr. Said Out Bitch and Dan moved on with his help.  Why he had to hurt Rory for 20+ years (which is like a quarter million years for Lucifer) didn’t entirely hold together for me.

Lastly, I was just disappointed that after hard-fought realizations last season where Lucifer felt compelled to step up to the position of God, and Chloe felt compelled to leave the police force and help him, they imploded all that this season in favor of Lucifer heading to Hell and Chloe heading back to work.  Lucifer and Amenadiel have lots of siblings, no chance to job-share?

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 11

Thinking some more about this now I've woken up.  I wrote a list of possible 'endings' on a Word Doc, and the Titanic ending (he dies, they reunite in the afterlife) was at the top, for what it's worth.

Most of my issues with the ending were logistical - it doesn't make sense that he can't pop up for five minutes to be there at important moments.

But it kind of makes sense to me that Lucifer would rashly agree to something that was essentially completely unnecessary in order to answer the desperate plea of a daughter he's grown to love in just a few days because overreacting to an insane degree has been part of Lucifer's character since the start.  And for her part I can only think that Rory had also grown to love him in those few days to such a degree that she was utterly terrified of losing *that* relationship in favour of another one that might not have been as good.

4 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Which, mind you, is not that much longer (only 20 years?), meaning she also leaves 2 relatively young daughters (adults, yes, but still young)

It was longer than 20 years - Rory mentioned that she ages slower than a human because she's half-celestial.  So probably closer to 40.  Ironically, she spent that time growing up angry when she could have visited Lucifer in Hell any time she wanted.

I guess Lucifer leaving almost straight away once he'd had his realisation comes to this (and I wish they'd have made it explicit) - Lucifer saved Dan from his Hell loop because Dan didn't deserve to be tortured.  All the other 'lost' souls who deserve a shot at redemption are still being tortured.  Leaving going down there for another 40 years would not only leave those there to suffer, but would add another bunch of newly dead to the mix.  Hence, got to go immediately and start work.

I do wish they'd 'cooked' the ending for a little longer - when Chloe shows up, have Lucifer mention that he can model Hell any way she likes and she says that now she's here to make things run more efficiently, they can take trips to Heaven (because honestly that place that Dan and Charlotte were looked pretty nice).  They then kick all the reprobates out to have mind-blowing sex because good lord if Lucifer thinks a 14-day dry spell is akin to the world ending, he's got to be pretty strung out after 250,000 years or however long it was. 

But leaving aside the 'why can't Lucifer get what Amenadiel does' issue, which I totally get because it is unfair, I love that Lucifer and Chloe are working together for all eternity.  Chloe would have been so bored just sitting around in Heaven talking to people.  They have the purpose - arguably the greatest one of all - and get to solve mysteries for ever.  And I'm okay with that.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, pootlus said:

It was longer than 20 years - Rory mentioned that she ages slower than a human because she's half-celestial.  So probably closer to 40.  Ironically, she spent that time growing up angry when she could have visited Lucifer in Hell any time she wanted.

That’a fair.  I forgot that the 20 year reference was invalid because Rory ages more slowly.  That’s also depressing in a different way because then Lucifer spent half a million years waiting for Chloe.  Poor dude.

I get that Rory willingly and wholeheartedly made the sacrifice of not knowing her father for her first ~40 years rather than ever risk that Lucifer would not find his true purpose, which was essential to the good of the entire universe.  (Lucifer returning to Hell for the good of his loved ones is basically where we ended in S4, so this did feel a bit circular, but I get it, he needed to make peace with his father and understand redemption better.)

The ending was just sadder than I thought this show would go, since Lucifer’s found family was so important to him, and he entirely missed all of the rest of their earthly lives.  I was not expecting this because I thought the tone had lightened considerably over the years.  But I knew by last episode (S06 EP9) that Lucifer would have to go.  There was no way for him to stay without completely emotionally undercutting the poignancy of those goodbyes with Ella, Linda, Amenadiel and Dan (in addition to Chloe).  Hated that Trixie was an afterthought at most here.

I did think “Welcome to the Black Parade” was a pretty awesome song on which to end the show.  “The savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned.”  *Chef’s kiss.*

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Hated that Trixie was an afterthought at most here.

Unfortunately I think that was down to Scarlett's availability (or lack thereof) so they decided to prioritise Trixie's scenes with Dan, which is fair enough.  Trixie not being at Chloe's deathbed was a huge oversight though - hence my Mars fanwank.  They can't even use the Scarlett excuse given that 'T' would be at least in her late forties at that point.  It made it look as if Chloe's child with Dan was shoved aside in favour of the 'perfect' child she had with Lucifer (quotes because obviously Rory was a long way from perfect).

• Love 13
1 hour ago, pootlus said:

It was longer than 20 years - Rory mentioned that she ages slower than a human because she's half-celestial.  So probably closer to 40.  

Yes, I think even the way old Chloe was made up indicated that this was more than 20 years into the future. On the one hand, I'm glad Chloe lived a long life with Trixie and Rory, but on the other, it's also sad to imagine her spending all those decades parted from Lucifer.

On a separate note, I did wonder at some of Rory's actions, as the way she behaved in present day read somewhat younger to me and seemed more in fitting with her actual appearance. 

• Love 1

I can't say I was a fan of seemingly all the plot development in 5B being walked-back on and losing a bunch of narrative weight in retrospect. Lucifer doesn't become God after all, Amenadiel becomes God after already having refused the position, and Chloe goes back to the LAPD. I've always admired this show for repeatedly shaking up the status quo and addressing the consequences, but I feel season 6 truly went backwards for the first time. I was so excited for what Lucifer being God would look like, all the ridiculous scenarios and shenanigans that could happen and the epiphanies reached, but I guess it was not meant to be. That scene of all the angels and demons bowing to Lucifer at the end of 5B just ended up meaning nothing, I guess? 

Given that season 6 is an extended version of a former 15-minute epilogue, I find it weird that Lucifer would've just dumped his recently-acquired position right after fighting for it. Maybe the show's ultimate ending was changed after all, but I just wish that it would've followed through on Lucifer becoming God. It was a character arc that made great sense and was built up well, and it really didn't need yet another swerve tacked on. 

And lord, Rory. This show has already gotten away with an evil twin plot played straight, so adult kid from the future wasn't that inconceivable, but I did not want Chloe and Lucifer to have a kid. Just seemed too conventional and predictable, especially given the latter's distaste for children and his complete lack of interest in progeny before this. I had no interest in seeing Lucifer as a dad, either; I liked him just as he was, and fatherhood was not an aspect of his character I ever envisioned or hoped to see. And the fact that Rory had this massive chip on her shoulder over something that Lucifer hadn't even done yet did not help me root for or sympathize with her. In these kinds of kid-from-the-future stories, the family dynamic is, by nature, inorganic, and that plus the time travel just completely changed the tone and feel of the show for me.

Not the worst ending of a genre show I've seen (*cough*SPN). I just didn't like the Rory storyline and would've preferred an entirely different major arc for the final season. Something just involving Lucifer, Chloe, and friends, no angsty little Tumblr girl with an attitude instantly becoming the focus of the main characters' attention and affections. But otherwise, I suppose I'm mostly okay with where everyone ended up.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 19

I didn't like it too much. I've seen worse endings, but I can't say it was very good, either. Rory time travels because of her anger Lucifer abandoned her, to figure out she needs Lucifer to abandon her and everyone else, which he only does because she time traveled to tell him to do it as a result of her anger he did, is too contrived. Lucifer's choice was taken away because TropeRory basically emotionally pushed him into a corner to do things her way. Lucifer wanted freewill and I feel he was emotionally manipulated into doing it someone else's way, it wasn't really his choice. I didn't like "if the Devil can be redeemed anyone can be", because Lucifer's big "Sin" didn't need redemption, he just wanted free will from his Dad.  I don't like the implication that him being an example to inspire murders like Vincent means he's worse than them, when he's not. Though he is a complete piece of shit if he didn't say Goodbye to Trixie (they could have done a phone call and flashbacks of him and her as he was leaving it and thinking of her if they couldn't use SE, but he didn't give one thought to her in his Goodbyes.) Honestly anything with Trixie and Lucifer will be tainted in rewatches because of this. I do like the idea of him being a Hell Therapist. 

I don't like we'd have to make up our own reasons why Chloe didn't become a bad mother to Trixie in the end. Her afterlife is with Lucifer, with Rory visiting. So we'll have to make up Trixie can visit or in the end, Lucifer and Rory was all that matters (and does that mean Chloe decided to never see her parents again in the afterlife? Literally only Lucifer and Rory matter and Lucifer took off on her so many times.) We don't know if Trixie was ever filled in on how she helped Dan (the parent who apparently loved her the most, since Chloe allowed Lucifer to abandon Trixie too, had the happy family day without her, just with the ones she picked her afterlife with too, because Rory and Lucifer comes first.) No excuse for not having adult Trixie there at the end. That was awful. If I have to make up in my head a good reason why she's not there and the afterlife situation since they only mentioned Rory can visit, they did a shitty job. 

I do like Amenadiel is God. But Charlie getting wings disappointed me because any growth Amenadiel did accepting Charlie as a human was for nothing. If Amenadiel can visit Earth, Lucifer should have been able to. This was a worse version than the s4 ending (which I liked) because of the double standard and the season long focus that came before on a TropeKid I don't care about. But still, what was the point of 5b then? Dan literally died for nothing because Michael had Vincent do it in his election war against Lucifer. Angel's died because of the war which was also for nothing since Lucifer went back on it.   

I loved Dan gets his pudding in Heaven. Maze and Eve are happy and Ella gets a guy who isn't a psycho. So there's that.

• Love 18
10 hours ago, pootlus said:

But leaving aside the 'why can't Lucifer get what Amenadiel does' issue, which I totally get because it is unfair, I love that Lucifer and Chloe are working together for all eternity.  Chloe would have been so bored just sitting around in Heaven talking to people.  They have the purpose - arguably the greatest one of all - and get to solve mysteries for ever.  And I'm okay with that.

She seemed pretty happy to be with her Dad again in s5b. She could have helped Amenadiel train new Angels if she needed something to do. She picked to never see anyone but Lucifer, Rory and people in Hell... unless Trixie is in Hell or can visit, she picked mysteries and her family that Trixie wasn't included in. I don't like her life ended up revolving around Lucifer. 

• Love 1

This took me quite some time to process.  

Why would amenadiel be able to be in his son’s life on earth but not Lucifer?  Why couldn’t he pop in and out?  Why couldn’t Chloe tell Rory her father loved her very much, but he never lies and he always keeps his promises?  She did not have to say to whom or what.

Then after much tossing and turning, my theory is that if Lucifer was there when she was born, he wouldn’t go back. If he held Rory, he wouldn’t let go.  

He kept putting off going to heaven and being on the throne.   It was over a month, and things were starting to unravel, but he wouldn’t go. He kept finding excuses.  

I believe that with out his promise to Rory that he wouldn’t change anything, he would find excuses to stay on earth.  The only thing that would keep him from his daughter was his daughter.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Though he is a complete piece of shit if he didn't say Goodbye to Trixie (they could have done a phone call and flashbacks of him and her as he was leaving it and thinking of her if they couldn't use SE, but he didn't give one thought to her in his Goodbyes.) 

I do like the idea of him being a Hell Therapist. 

No excuse for not having adult Trixie there at the end. That was awful. 

But Charlie getting wings disappointed me because any growth Amenadiel did accepting Charlie as a human was for nothing. If Amenadiel can visit Earth, Lucifer should have been able to. 

I loved Dan gets his pudding in Heaven. Maze and Eve are happy and Ella gets a guy who isn't a psycho. So there's that.

Thankfully, this one post encompassed just about all my thoughts on this final season/series. Regression (Charlie being angelic after all), glaring omission (no Trixie at Chloe's deathbed, and no goodbye from Luci to Trixie) and nonsense (AmenaGod can go back and forth but Lucifer can't?!) is my takeway.

The only two things I liked were:

1)  Lucifer as the "Linda" in Hell; and

2) return of Charlotte, even in a non-speaking role

My final comments:  what did Chloe tell Trixie about baby Aurora? Does Trixie know who the father is?  Is Trixie told about Celestials - or - does Trixie never find out?  Maze & Eve FTW!  They were my favorite couple on the show.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, norcalgal said:

My final comments:  what did Chloe tell Trixie about baby Aurora? Does Trixie know who the father is?  Is Trixie told about Celestials - or - does Trixie never find out?  Maze & Eve FTW!  They were my favorite couple on the show.

She had to have found out eventually.  She absolutely would have known Lucifer was Rory's dad (who else could it be?) and she'd notice that her sister stopped aging after 20 or so.

As for whether or not everyone can hang out in the afterlife, presumably if Amenadiel was able to send Chloe to hell then he could also arrange for her to pop up into heaven whenever she wanted to see Trixie, Dan, her dad, etc.  The show has mentioned that not even God can take a condemned human from hell to heaven, but maybe it's possible to go the other way and it just never happened before because who would want to?

• Love 3

I was disappointed with the ending.

1. Lack of Trixie. Adult Trixie could have been by dying Chloe's side. 

2. I dont buy the whole "it has to be this way" that Lucifer doesn't show up after Rory's birth. He can still do his Dr. Linda job in Hell and pop up to see his family on Earth. Heck if Amede-God can do it, so can Lucifer.

3. Maze/Eve ending and Ellen/Carol endings were good.

4. Would have loved a shot of adult Charlie.

5. Glad Dan got to go to Heaven.  Surprised Goddess was there. 

• Love 8

This ending was okay. I was never into Lucifer/Chloe and still am not. So spending so much time watching them make out was really boring. Then we only had a silent musical montage for the rest of the cast. They are who I would've rather spent that time with. So it wasn't the worst finale ever and I'm glad Amen became God because he's better suited for it. But I'm also unclear why Lucifer couldn't pop back up occasionally? I mean I get trying to save the damned would be a full time job but he can't be doing that all time. You'd think he get a minute rest time to see Chloe and Rory then go back. Hell doesn't need a keeper. So that just seemed like a lame excuse that they wrote their season around. 

Negasonic teenage Lucifer better be careful I don't think she wants to be typecast into angry teenager roles. Also if she's older then she looks how come Lucifer didn't know that? So that woman she was hitting on when she was driving his car was in her age range. 

As for Trixie being pushed aside, I agree. I get the child actress not being available, but they could've just put an extra in the room on the other side of Chloe to be Trixie. Or mentioned she was stuck on Mars and Rory promised to take her to heaven or hell to visit Chloe as soon as she got back. I'm sure Amen-God would allow that. He's making different rules. 

Also I would've liked to have seen child Charlie, Rory and teenage Trixie hanging out during the musical montage. I'm happy Charlie got his wings so he could also take people to visit their loved ones. Which again they could've used a different actress or not shown her face and we can assume it's her. That's been done before.  

So Dan's favorite meal in the whole world really is pudding. 

• Love 7

As to why only Rory was there at chloe’s death…

I know with deaths in my family that were pending and we knew it, people were in and out.  Sometimes people can’t drop everything and be bedside for every minute. In my family’s case, work, child care, ages of children or siblings were things that kept people away for blocks of time. We did shifts, someone was there all the time and in the 3 cases I am thinking of, only one person was there at the moment of death. One time it was me, as it was midnight, I called the next relative who was closest physically.  He called his sister, and so on, by 1ish we had 6 of us there.

it could be that Rory was on that shift, her fury took over, she time shifted, and returned in time to be with her mum for her final minutes.  I’m fairly sure that others, definitely trixie, were in residence.

I’m reckoning on Chloe being 80 to 90 something, she had trixie in her late 20’s, putting trixie at late 60s to 70s. There was 14 years between trixie and Rory. So if the passing was very late at night, it would be logical that Rory was the one on that shift.

• Love 3

So apparently one of the showrunners, Joe Henderson, said that this was the theme of Season 6 that they settled on after being approached to do another season right at the end of Season 5 when they had already conceived of an end to the show (emphasis added):

And then, we were just riffing and we’re like, ‘Oh, s–t, so much of what Lucifer has dealt with is becoming his father and also empathizing with his father, understanding his father. So what if he did to his child what was done to him? And what if he doesn’t understand how that possibly happened?’ And then all of a sudden we were like, oh my God, this is a story, this is a story that we wouldn’t have told and now we can’t imagine not.

In my opinion, a key and more important aspect of the show since the very beginning has been free will and making your own choices in life, even moreso than Lucifer’s relationship with his father.  I mean, reaching peace with his father was crucial, but as God said last season, he could not “fix” Lucifer:  that was on Lucifer to do himself.  So I think the show made a mistake in focusing on a parent-child relationship instead of really hitting the redemption-forgiveness-free will theme at the end.

The showrunners sealed Lucifer’s fate in a deterministic cycle, where he was fated to repeat a devastating trauma inflicted on him, and the final insult in this episode is that it was not Lucifer’s choice, but actually in contravention of his deepest desire not to repeat the emotional neglect of his own past.  Lucifer only agreed to Rory’s request to stay away under extreme duress.  His promise was not given of a free will, but rather given out of love in the desperation of a few seconds that afforded no consideration.

And Rory herself is the sole reason the promise is made (based on her understanding of time being a closed loop, which is suspect because, as noted upthread, she doesn’t really know anything about time travel, having only done it once).  It’s not because Lucifer can’t balance a home life on Earth with a job in Hell (as Amenadiel demonstrated).  It’s not because Hell needs a ruler anymore (God confirmed that in S5).  It’s not because Lucifer is the only one who can visit Hell (if angels can help Amenadiel in Heaven, why can’t they all pitch in in Hell to help out, too?).  The logic just falls apart.  The more I think about the last 20 minutes of the show, the more it bums me out.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 18
14 hours ago, greekmom said:

5. Glad Dan got to go to Heaven.  Surprised Goddess was there. 

It wasn't the Goddess, it was Charlotte Richards in heaven.  The Goddess is in another universe with Original God.  The show confuses things by having the Goddess still look like Charlotte Richards even after she turned into energy at the end of Season 2.  I guess it's because otherwise when she showed up at the end of S5 she wouldn't be recognisable - "hey, here's a ball of light, and you only know who she is because Lucifer and Amenadiel call her mom".

@cambridgeguy:

As for whether or not everyone can hang out in the afterlife, presumably if Amenadiel was able to send Chloe to hell then he could also arrange for her to pop up into heaven whenever she wanted to see Trixie, Dan, her dad, etc.

Lucifer is still an angel, now that the loop has ended he can fly her there himself - there's nothing stopping him apart from taking a break from his role as Hell's healer every now and again.  If time moves in Heaven and Hell at similar speeds it's not like he would be losing much time either.  This is why I think they undercooked the ending a bit.  It's all very well Joe and Ildy explaining in interviews what they thought was obvious when Chloe shows up outside the door, but they really should have made it more obvious in the actual show IMO.  Thirty seconds would have been sufficient.

@Sakura12:

As for Trixie being pushed aside, I agree. I get the child actress not being available, but they could've just put an extra in the room on the other side of Chloe to be Trixie. Or mentioned she was stuck on Mars and Rory promised to take her to heaven or hell to visit Chloe as soon as she got back.

They would have had to re-cast Trixie anyway since she would have been middle-aged when Chloe died, so that Scarlett was not available is immaterial.  I really don't get why they did it - I do think Trixie's character was short-changed.  I mean even a line from Rory about checking in on her because she's on her way to Mars to reassure Chloe on her deathbed would have been something, or a line about "I know Trixie is on a plane right now trying to get here" (I didn't make my own mother's deathbed from the other side of the planet, so can relate).  Instead it's like they forgot she existed or forgot she was Chloe's daughter too.

Edited by pootlus
  • Love 9

I really liked it!  I was braced for "bittersweet," but I found it less bitter than sweet.  The epilogue was so satisfying.  Now, I'll read what everyone else thought and maybe edit...

In some parts, the overall series felt rush. I did realize throughout the season that I really did not care if Lucifer and Chloe were endgame. I actually liked Rory when it was revealed that this was not another "let's kill Lucifer" plot. As someone else mentioned, I am not sure why Amenadiel could come to earth to be in Charlie's life but Lucifer could not do the same. Also, I totally get that Trixie loved Dan and did not need a replacement, but some mention on how someone else leaving her life for good affected her would have been nice. And Linda seemed all over the place this season.

• Love 7

I think the thing that will leave the worse taste in my mouth about how the series ended is that Charlie did in fact turn out to be angelic. Producers seem to be saying: Celestials are "better" than humans, and it's a BAD thing to "merely" be human if you can be a celestial. 

P.S.  I still don't understand why Rory's wings were weapons...maybe I'll re-watch one day, but if anyone can explain, I'd appreciate it.

• Love 3

From Rory fashion style, I would think that her wings reflect her.   Lucifer is the lightbringer, his wings are bight white. After killing Cain they turn red and leathery.  In the pilot amenadiel’s wings had blades in the edges, he was God’s warrior. 

rory’s reflect her personality and I’m reckoning a bit of aunty maze influence.  Chloe was a bit horrified by them but aunt maze would have approved.

• Love 4
On 9/13/2021 at 8:53 PM, momo said:

Why was Chloe special again?  So she could inspire Lucifer to help the unjustly kept souls in Hell?

I personally don’t think the show was intending to say that, but I think what you wrote could fairly be inferred (which is part of my problem with this episode):  that the entire cycle and time loop is God’s predestined plan for everyone (i.e., Chloe, as the one person immune to Lucifer’s charms and whom God specifically put in Lucifer’s path, was fated to meet Lucifer and have a kid with him, such kid being the one person who can tell Lucifer his purpose).  Because if the time loop is closed (meaning that there is never a future where Rory doesn’t grow up without her father), then all decisions that Lucifer and Chloe make can be inferred to be part of God’s plan.  I personally think that seriously compromises the “free will” theme of the show, though.

I think what the writers intended was that Chloe was only special because she was immune to Lucifer’s “desire-extracting power,” i.e., that she could be one person in this world who, when Lucifer interacted with them, would never see their desires reflected back at them, and would only ever see Lucifer for who he truly was.  No hidden agenda beyond that, no greater plan.  God was just giving Lucifer the gift of truth, and Lucifer and Chloe had the freedom to do with that what they will, which they did when then chose each other (over and over and over again), until they chose their child.

• Love 4

I thought it was a well done ending.  I was hoping for a little more, but it was still satisfying.  I kinda get why they backed away from the Devil becoming God, because I can see how that would cause some theological discomfort in certain segments of the audience.  I do like how they acknowledged that death isn't the end.

I thought it would have been cool during the montage to show a scene of teenage Rory stomping out and then Lucifer showing up to kind of watch her from afar, just so he could be part of his daughter's life even if she didn't know it.  I'm also sorry there wasn't more Trixie, but I assume that's due to Scarlett Estevez's availability.

Also Charlie got his wings and we got a shot of the Silver City.  And in Dan's Heaven, unlimited pudding!

• Love 1

And so it ends!

Ended up truly being the perfect definition of "bittersweet" because it started out kind of bitter, but it really did end on a nice, sweet note.  All in all, a decent finale, even though I wish they did a few things differently.  For starters, while I think Lucifer being "Hell's therapist" is actually kind of brilliant, I wish they did a better job explaining why it meant he would completely be out of Chloe (and Rory's) life, because I would imagine that if Amenadiel can take time out of being God to still be there for Charlie and Linda, couldn't Lucifer do the same?  Or is a case of Amenadiel being able to delegate stuff to their other brothers and sisters, while Lucifer couldn't?  I'm usually not one to want things completely spelled out on camera, but it might have helped this go around.

My other main issue was that it all came back to Rory, and while I understand what they were aiming for, I never really invested enough into the character to care about her and be emotionally invested in Lucifer and Chloe's sacrifice, despite all of the actors doing what they can.  I don't know if it would have been better to introduce the character earlier or maybe go in a different direction, but it just left me cold.

Still, Lucifer "healing" the damned is a great concept and I loved the little glimpse of it.  I wish they didn't have Patrick Fabian's name in the guest list, but I still loved seeing Reese there.  And even Vincent got himself a spot on the couch despite the whole "Killed Dan, tried to kill you, oh, and kind of tortured your daughter!" thing.  I guess everyone has a chance at redemption!  Maybe.  One day, perhaps...

The musical montage with the majority of the cast was nice.  Glad that Maze and Eve are apparently going strong both personally and professionally!  Ella finally seems to have a found a great guy with Carol and Chloe truly does seem to be changing the police department.  And Dan is chilling in heaven with his two favorite things: Charlotte (Tricia Helfer!) and pudding!

I know a lot of it was likely due to Scarlett Estevez's availability, but I do wish Trixie factored in more here.

Charlie got wings!  Amenadiel was such a happy God when that happened!  Linda, not so much.

Fare thee well, Lucifer.  The road was bumpy at times (looking at you especially, season three!), but I overall enjoyed my time here, and thought it was one of the better genre shows all in all.  Certainly one of the best ensembles out there.  Hopefully everyone goes on to other things and shine, but I'm really curious to see what is in store for Tom Ellis, because I think he has the potential to be a huge star.

• Love 9

Amenadiel can come down from heaven, but Luci can’t come up from hell?

I’m glad that they continue to be partners - I guess that made her life easier, knowing that they get to spend eternity together - but it still bugs me that Trixie was sidelined for a new character, and that he really disappeared for the rest of their lives.  I did laugh at Lucifer becoming Linda, modeling his office on hers.  I don’t understand why she couldn’t go down to hell before that, if she knew who he was.  Why didn’t she check sooner? Or ask her uncle to help her?

• Love 3

It seems this part of the ending wasn’t explained well because everyone keeps asking why Amenadiel can visit but Lucifer can’t. From what I understand it’s not that Lucifer can’t visit, it’s that he promised Rory that he wouldn’t, so that she would grow up angry and the time loop could play out. By the penultimate episode I knew Rory would somehow be responsible for her own abandonment. I just hate the way they did it. 

I’m definitely in agreement that Trixie got shortchanged, but I cried during her last scene with Dan so they made her time count. I just hope she never realizes the guy she spoke to in the park looks like her dad’s murderer. Wish she could have been let in on the secret but at least Ella found out. I originally didn’t want Ella to find out but I like that she ended up figuring it out on her own.

I just started binging Lucifer last spring so I haven’t been a fan for long, I’m really going to miss the show.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, BaggythePanther said:

It seems this part of the ending wasn’t explained well because everyone keeps asking why Amenadiel can visit but Lucifer can’t. From what I understand it’s not that Lucifer can’t visit, it’s that he promised Rory that he wouldn’t, so that she would grow up angry and the time loop could play out. By the penultimate episode I knew Rory would somehow be responsible for her own abandonment. I just hate the way they did it. 

I’m definitely in agreement that Trixie got shortchanged, but I cried during her last scene with Dan so they made her time count. I just hope she never realizes the guy she spoke to in the park looks like her dad’s murderer. Wish she could have been let in on the secret but at least Ella found out. I originally didn’t want Ella to find out but I like that she ended up figuring it out on her own.

I just started binging Lucifer last spring so I haven’t been a fan for long, I’m really going to miss the show.

I get it now. Well, I hate time loops and time travel too. Bleh.

I also started bingeing last spring.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

In ep 9, when Lucifer and Chloe find out that she is pregnant, they discuss the time travel paradox.  In this show they decided to go closed unbreakable unchangeable route. Que the theme song, “ time traveling Rory, makes sense, don’t overthink it”.  Of course, I’m over thinking it.

Lucifer promised not to change rory’s life… I believe there maybe a few loopholes. Chloe only told Rory that he knew  she was pregnant, they were on a case at 10th and Swanson, he turned the corner and disappeared.  He could be there when she was born, she wouldn’t remember it and that wouldn’t change her life.  He could see Chloe if she traveled somewhere without Rory.

we saw them come home from the hospital, but not what happened in the hospital. 

the people on earth who know that Rory time traveled are amenadiel, Linda, Chloe, maze, and eve. Amenadiel would need to be in on the plan, but he would know the plan being who he is. The others may or may not be in on the plan. Rory may have been so closed off that she doesn’t talk to anyone else about it.

in my overthinking, I do have a scene where Lucifer gives trixie a gift and tells her he loves her always. And a scene where he goes to Dan as a support person who would understand how it is to have a daughter you can’t be with physically. And shortly after Chloe arrives at his door, Lucifer tells Chloe that it is his turn to be with the girls as she can’t; and helps trixie and Rory through dealing with the end of their mother’s earthly life.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I think Lucifer being "Hell's therapist" is actually kind of brilliant

That was one of my favorite parts, especially that he was basically using a replica of Dr. Linda's office. Perfect. He's learned so much from her! (At last, lol.) I was delighted.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I get it now. Well, I hate time loops and time travel too. Bleh.

I also started bingeing last spring.

I started watching when it premiered in 2016. That's part of why I was crying every episode: I wanted to watch it with my mother, and she died during the Summer of 2016. Seeing these people with their children, and Dan getting to say goodbye... it just kept getting to me. They also really seem to be like a family, though. I didn't pick it up again, until a year or two ago, when I binged everything that I'd missed, and the move to Netflix was really the best thing for it. 

I'm really going to miss it. 

What a load of Horse Poopies, Rory comes in and tries to hog all of Chloe's love by sending Lucifer away and then she ruins Chloe's death by telling her she has to die alone. Chloe had to have told everybody not to show up for her death or else her daughter might cause the Apocalypse or something worst, because the entirety of Season 6 was about everybody being there for their friends and family. What happened to all of Lucifer's money since Chloe died in a small house all alone, without even having a nurse to take care of her. Then Rory leaves her to go Time Traveling right before her death, leaving Chloe to die completely alone, until Rory pops back up seconds before her death. Rory is an extremely needy "half-person/half-Angel" and the show would have been better if she never existed. Lucifer could have figured out that he had the power to actually redeem hell bound souls by giving them advice that starts with "A wise woman once told me".

• Love 11

We don't know how time travel works...to Chloe, it might have seemed that Rory was only gone for a minute.  And we didn't see any part of Chloe's house except the bedroom (which may have even been some kind of hospice) ..I did think it was weird that the bed had golden pillows.  They didn't seem very comfortable. :)

• Love 2
On 9/11/2021 at 9:19 AM, bigseach said:

Then after much tossing and turning, my theory is that if Lucifer was there when she was born, he wouldn’t go back. If he held Rory, he wouldn’t let go.  

As I was watching it, I kept thinking, why does Lucifer have to leave ASAP, it's not like he couldn't be there through Chloe's pregnancy and peace out when Rory was a few months old, not like she'd remember him. But I think they were trying to present it as he needed to leave for hell right away or he would find excuses and never go.

Which is the only reason I could think he stayed away for the rest of Chloe's life, if he went back at all he'd start to justify staying and risk Rory seeing him.  Though Chloe seemed pretty happy and content, maybe Amenagod popped down to hell and gave Luci a heads up when Rory was away at summer camp or with grandma Penelope and he spent some time with Chloe.

Otherwise Chloe spent her life celibate tied to her job, raising two daughters. While Lucifer spent a couple of millennia playing Dr. Linda to the damned. 

On the Trixie front, I did miss her and Lucifer having a good-bye, but Joe and Ildy have said they didn't want to undercut her scene with Dan, who was her father. And if I only got one good-bye, Dan earned it over Lucifer. And Joe said in an interview they contemplated having Charlie and Trixie there with Rory in the end, but he was worried about the 'casual viewer' going "who are they?", as they would've had to cast adults, then you have to throw in extra dialogue to make it clear who they are. So instead we're just supposed to think they stepped out to give Rory time to say good-bye.

And I'm using that logic as to why Chloe was all those years later still living in that bizarrely laid out condo (like why put Rory in Trixie's bedroom when Maze's EMPTY room was in the mystery upstairs), so you'd know it was Chloe (or then again maybe with the cost of housing, with all of Luci's money she still couldn't afford an upgrade. More likely they donated all of his money to good causes).

Overall I liked it more than I thought I would, I really liked all the action stuff at the beginning and how finding out Dan finally made it to heaven along with helping Rory with her anger gave Lucifer his calling (Dr. Linda would probably be proud and appalled as he never got the point she was trying to make). I liked how in the final season, even with the addition of Rory, they really focused on the core cast. Ella found out the truth and got a decent guy, Dan made it to heaven, Amendiel became God and got his greatest wish, his son being an angel. The only person who's future we didn't really get was Linda's in the flash forward. We did see Trixie with the family, I assume Chloe gave everyone the 411 on Lucifer and Rory needing to resent him, so they didn't talk about him around her. I assume Trixie knew the truth (I mean especially after her little sister sprouted wings), then again Ildy said in an interview Trixie knew all along and it was her normal so she didn't make anything out of it. And it was amusing in the end, that Reese was close to a break through, but Le Mec not so much. And in the end it was just Chloe and Lucifer (whom after the therapy session was over I choose to believe went at like horny teenagers and then could go back and forth between heaven and hell, just not earth because if she got to earth, she'd be trapped like Dan was, so while Rory could visit her, it'd be a while before she saw Trixie again).

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

But I think they were trying to present it as he needed to leave for hell right away or he would find excuses and never go.

This, and I think there was something about an angel finding their true calling that was almost a compulsion, rather like Amenadiel becoming God.  That's my fanwank anyway - I like your explanation too though, I mean he did put off the whole God thing for weeks.

Can I just say that I think this is the most spectacular flying sequence they've done on the show.  The shooting angle, the CGI, and Tom's balletic 'leap' onto the top of the shipping container are all amazing.

And it just brings me back to something I really like about the ending - Lucifer is still the Devil.  I was worried at the start of the season that they'd make him God and he would be 'different' (socks with sandals and all).  Now he gets to be the Devil still, which I really like.  Still the Devil and the Detective (although the flash forwards show that Chloe made it to at least Lieutenant).

• Love 3

They could have done an entire episode of what happens after, montages and clips of life on earth, heaven, and hell. They did what they felt was most important and left the rest of us to fill it in as we wished. I wrote what I thought above.

there is a biblical story that there is a hard divide between heaven and hell. That the souls can not move between.  In the show this held, until lee; then dan. 

with amenadiel and Lucifer working together ( wasn’t that an interesting development, their dad was sooooo tricksy setting up his sons to rule together ), I believe that the hard divide softened a bit and perhaps souls in heaven could help in hell. A condemned soul has to go hell, then go through the loops and hoops. If the soul is too broken like Jimmy’s something can be worked out while they workout how to help.

Lucifer has a mammoth job, look at the covid stats alone.  Azriel and Lucifer are the busiest angels!  I’m betting linda got quite a few consulting visits from Lucifer.

In chloe’s case her soul was not condemned, she was slated for heaven, she chose to be with Lucifer, and i reckon she can move between the two with a bit of an angel assist. As a heavenly soul she has a place there that can not be denied.  I can also see Linda wanting to work in hell rehab along with any other heavenly therapist.  

wonder how things went with Cain and Abel…

• Love 5

I like where everyone ended up in the end. Lucifer as Hell therapist makes so much sense. I anticipated Lucifer and Chloe parting until eternity and was prepared for it. I just wish they had more earthly time though. What was hard was Lucifer having to leave Rory ( and pregnant Chloe) and not be able to raise her despite how desperately he wanted to and I felt the reasoning was weak. Lucifer was half way to figuring out his calling before Rory appeared, he would have gotten there on his own evenutally. But i think of it this way Lucifer staying in Rory's life with would mean the death of the Rory we've seen.  This Rory likes who she is and its the Rory Lucifer and Chloe have bonded and fallen in love with. They would get a different Rory if Lucifer stayed.  I do take comfort in that while she's an adult in human life, in her celestial life she's still a baby and Im sure plenty left for Lucifer to teach and more celestial growth for him to witness. So I've made my peace with that aspect of the ending. Plus I imagine Amenagod gave Lucifer updates and Chloe recorded everything for Lucifer to see at some point.

I do head cannon him secretly  seeing Chloe from time to time. Although not very frequently. It would have to been when she is out of town to limit risk. I do agree with some people who said he would not see or have any contact with Rory at all. Because if he did he wouldn't be able to let go.

Lucifer isn't banned from heaven  he can travel there as he wishes and now that the loop closed he can visit earth and spend earthly daddy/daughter time with Rory. Chloe soul was destined for heaven so i imagine (and writers confirmed) that she can travel freely between heaven and hell with the help of an angel. Lucifer controls hell so he can make it whatever he wants for he and Chloe, I imagine through one of the doors is a nice home for them. Lucifer and Chloe being partners and having adventures through peoples hell loop and helping people for eternity is a perfect ending for them. (thanks ep 3 for the preview) Although Chloe is doing a lot of work in her after life, maybe even as much or more than some angels Amenagod should give her some celestial perks as reward.lol

Edited by aprilbabe
  • Love 4

I kind of hated the ending. I liked season 6 up until the final end. Chloe has to spend the rest of her earthly life alone and being a single mom? The reason doesn't even make sense. Lucifer had his realization that he needed to help souls in hell. So changing the future shouldn't matter, because even if they create a new timeline where Rory doesn't go back in time, he already would have started helping people. Or if they needed Rory to go back in time, couldn't future Rory have just gone back in time and pretended to be angry at Lucifer? It makes no sense, and I think it was pretty crappy of Rory to make Lucifer promise to stay away.

Just because they get to be together in the afterlife, doesn't make it okay that Chloe's life on earth had to be so depressing.

• Love 6
On 9/10/2021 at 6:05 PM, pootlus said:

But it kind of makes sense to me that Lucifer would rashly agree to something that was essentially completely unnecessary in order to answer the desperate plea of a daughter he's grown to love in just a few days because overreacting to an insane degree has been part of Lucifer's character since the start.

It was three weeks. When Rory initially told them the date he disappeared, Chloe said "that's in three weeks".

On 9/10/2021 at 7:51 PM, pootlus said:

Trixie not being at Chloe's deathbed was a huge oversight though

I have two theories on this, which is why it didn't bug me: 1) Only one person allowed at the deathbed at a time. This has been my experience in real life. 2) Trixie dies before her mother. 

Things that did bug me: waaaaaaaay too many montages. OMG the montages. Too many and too long. Let the editors do their work, show! This episode felt like it ended three times. And this season felt it ended multiple times. And previous seasons when they thought they were ending also felt like multiple endings. I feel like this show has had more Finale-feeling episodes than it has seasons, even if you count the split seasons as separate. My biggest problem is the show completely failed to surprise me. Not that I predicted the plot exactly, but it started with Amenadiel going to Earth to convince Lucifer he had to go back to Hell. It ended with Amenadiel back in the Silver City (albeit popping around elsewhere) and Lucifer...going back to Hell. So, I guess full circle cuz he did it on his own terms? But uh, way to undermine your own free will point, show, with just about every aspect of this season.

• Love 1

In regards to Trixie not being at the Chloes death bed, according to the show runners they did film a scene where she was, along with grown up Charlie, Amenadiel and others.(i think a grandchild) But they felt people would be so focused on putting two and two together matching the new adult faces with the characters that it would take about from the death scene.  They said Trixie and other people we there, just in the next room.

So a few other random thoughts. If Lucifer didn't leave, causing Rory to resent him to the point she goes back in time wanting to kill him, would Dan ever have gone back to heaven?

Rory's upset, losing her mom, so she self-actualizes time travel and goes to hell for the first time (how'd they keep her out once she had wings?) and finds out about Dan once attempting to kill Lucifer, carries him to earth, he becomes a ghost, still stuck, still can't solve his guilt until he talks to Trixie. If he'd stayed in hell, even if Luci came back and started doing his therapy thing he wouldn't have talked to Trixie (who I assume is heaven bound) and never would have been absolved of his guilt over not being the best father he could be. So the time loop is more important to getting Dan to heaven than anything else. 

Lucifer might have figured out he was meant to be in hell, helping damned souls find their way to heaven. And even if he raised Rory she could have come to resent him anyway, because apparently angels grow/age slowly she was more like a bratty teen than acting her age (like another angel we all know and love) and like all teens she might have been really ticked at him. Which okay, yeah, no, no reason to split Lucifer and Chloe up for the rest of her life. Other than the argument with Lucifer in her life, Rory wouldn't become the person we meet.

Finally, do you think she was inspired to have knives for feathers because her very first gift from her beloved auntie Maze was a knife? So she imprinted on knives like a duckling imprints on its mother?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Gwendolyn said:

Finally, do you think she was inspired to have knives for feathers because her very first gift from her beloved auntie Maze was a knife? So she imprinted on knives like a duckling imprints on its mother?

Chloe and Lucifer did discuss what could have happened to cause her to self-actualise her wings as literal weapons (given angel wings are always weapons anyway).  I don't remember that they came to a conclusion other than she must have strongly felt that she needed to defend herself against something.  I'll have to go back and watch.

I kind of like the idea that Maze's baby gift made a literal impression though, I can see Chloe rolling her eyes over it.

• Love 1

In the pilot amenadiel’s wings have knife edges. Not as much as rory’s, but like Rory he did hold the edge of his wing to lucifer’s throat.  After he lost his wings his new ones did not have the knife edge.  I believe rory’s wings are a reflection of the women around her and that would include our favourite knife wielding demon. I really like the sound they make.

lucifer promised not to change Rory. I’m reckoning on him popping in on Chloe, trixie, and Linda; if he indeed pops around.  

the way the show sets things into motion is nearly urielesque.  As Gwendolyn wrote, having Dan becoming a ghost was a very important cog in the wheel Dan getting to heaven; and of amenadiel and Lucifer coming to their callings. Dan had worked through all his other issues as seen in the maze scene, trixie was his last issue and Lucifer wouldn’t have brought him to earth.

I did like that Chloe did not change her life much, same house, being low key. I can see her hiring a nanny when Rory was young, but as an Lt she would have steadier hours. I’m sure that Lucifer set things up for the three of them, he was crossing all sorts of t’s and dotting i’s with amenadiel. Basically making him an executor.

• Love 4

The ending was indeed bittersweet to me.  A few highs, a few unanswered questions.  My biggest problem with this last season which I had been SO anticipating is the addition of Rory.  I got tired very quickly of her angst and bitchiness, her control over Lucifer and Chloe, and especially the actress herself.  I think she was a very unlikeable actress and I never came around to caring about her one iota.  It had a negative effect, I felt, on the quality of the last season which in many ways, they wrapped up well.  The goodbyes (they really got to me), Amen on the throne, Chloe and Lucifer solid and loving, Maze in a good place in her life, Ella and Carol off to a very nice start, a few more crimes solved, Dan... I liked the last season except for the glaring problem of Rory and the actress who played her.

In the end, I'm glad I was able to experience and get to know these characters.  I loved "Lucifer" (the series and the man) and am thankful it had its full 6 seasons.  Here's hoping BIG things are in store for Tom Ellis.  He gets my vote for the next James Bond.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 9
On 9/18/2021 at 11:27 PM, aprilbabe said:

In regards to Trixie not being at the Chloes death bed, according to the show runners they did film a scene where she was, along with grown up Charlie, Amenadiel and others.(i think a grandchild) But they felt people would be so focused on putting two and two together matching the new adult faces with the characters that it would take about from the death scene.  They said Trixie and other people we there, just in the next room.

Then they still planned the deleted scene poorly because there's no need to add everyone, they don't know what middle ground is. Trixie and Rory, Chloe's two children, are all that's needed. Also, I'm pretty sure people could have put it together. It seemed they never expanded Chloe's circle. They didn't even have her move for the rest of her life. Amenadiel doesn't age so it's still DB. 

On 9/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, norcalgal said:

I think the thing that will leave the worse taste in my mouth about how the series ended is that Charlie did in fact turn out to be angelic. Producers seem to be saying: Celestials are "better" than humans, and it's a BAD thing to "merely" be human if you can be a celestial

Yes. I really liked Amenadiel having to get over Charlie being human in s5 and realize it's perfectly fine. But then it went out the window, Angel kids are better and God (who supposedly wants Angel's to mix with humans more) got what he wanted and never got over the idea of having an Angel kid, because they are better. Leaving Charlie human would have been more original too.

• Love 2