Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Partners ‘Til the End

paulvdb

I really enjoyed the first 5 seasons and I'm sorry they didn't end it with the finale of Season 5.  I actively disliked most of the plots of Season 6: Dan as a ghost, Rory and her petulance, Amendiel becoming a beat copy (why?!), Chloe gives up her job and becomes addicted to power, Ella figures everything out off screen and is upset at being left out?  Not blown away by the reveal that leads to a true crisis of faith but just having her feelings hurt?  

There were so many things I wanted to see that we didn't get, mostly domestic things: Lucifer and Chloe actually living together, Trixie having to deal with the death of her father at the same time as essentially getting a stepfather, an episode similar to Lee's where you see Dan look back at all the poor choices he made in an effort to overcome them which would lead him up to Heaven, Ella finding out and freaking out (which IMO would have made a great bottle episode of her flashbacks to earlier season shenanigans now armed with this new knowledge), Lucifer being finally welcomed back into his Celestial family after millennia of resentment on both sides, etc. etc..

There are 2 things I liked about this season: Maze and her self destructive nature finally being able to accept being loved (sniff :*) and Lucifer determining that he didn't want to be God and realizing what he wanted to do.  My favourite scene was Lucifer and Maze's goodbye; they've changed and their relationship has changed but they still mean so much to each other.

The final nail in the coffin for me was that the show ended with Chloe dying after 40-60 years of celibacy and single-motherhood after leaving Lucifer alone in Hell for how ever long that is.  Yes, it's great that Chloe and Lucifer can now spend eternity together but Lucifer has missed out on her entire natural life as well as the only chance he was ever going to have of raising a child and being an actual father.  That was far more bitter than sweet to me.  YMMV

• Love 13

The show ended too soon. I wanted to see the look on Le Mec's face when he found out he wouldn't be getting any pastries.

The other guy in Lucifer's little therapy group was Dr. Linda's journalist ex-husband from way back in season 3. In that episode, he learned about the concept of hell loops and maybe earned some brownie points for helping to catch the serial killer at the end, yet he is still stuck in hell after 40 years x 1 day on earth = 1000 years in hell or whatever the conversion rate is, I forget. It seems like Dr. Lucifer's therapy sessions might not be going as well as he had hoped.

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching the end.  

I didn’t like that so much of this season revolved around Rory to the expense of Trixie, Ella, Linda, even Carol - who I found more compelling than Rory.

When I first saw Luci as Hell’s therapist and Chloe in Heaven (?) I was pissed that they wouldn’t spend eternity together, but the there was knock on the door and I realized that Chloe was now Luci’s partner in Hell’s healing, I was okay with that.

And now I realized why Reese was in the finale, and it made sense.  And Rob was funny in that scene.  I loved that Luci forged his office the same as Linda’s.

Speaking of Linda, I’m gonna fan wank that she and Amenagod are together, by the fact that they grabbed each other’s hand and by an interview with DB Woodside where he said that he would have a happy love life ending.  And his expression when Charlie’s wings popped out was hilarious.

But of course my favorite part was Dan with his pudding & Charlotte with her waffles.  I just wish I could’ve seen their meeting in Heaven.

I admit I cried, but it was actually because it hit me that this was the end.  This is the only show that made me cry because there would be no more.  Supernatural made me cry, but that was due to what happened during the show, not because it was ending,

So all in all, I would say I liked it and am satisfied.

Tho I did miss Mr. Said Out Bitch this season.

• Love 5

Nothing made sense about this finale.  So disappointing.  Hated Rory.  If Amenadiel can come down from Heaven to see his family, why can't Lucifer come up from Hell to see Chloe and Trixy?  And musical montages are such cops outs.  Hated it. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Wicked said:

Nothing made sense about this finale.  So disappointing.  Hated Rory.  If Amenadiel can come down from Heaven to see his family, why can't Lucifer come up from Hell to see Chloe and Trixy?  And musical montages are such cops outs.  Hated it. 

It's not an issue of Lucifer being unable (as in does not having the power to do so) to come up and visit Chloe.  It's that he can't risk doing it for fear of borking up the timeline.  (And also because when he makes a promise he feels honor-bound to keep it.). 

The idea is that the whole interaction with (tiresome, never should have been introduced!) Rory is what gave Lucifer the insight as to what his true calling was.  So she made him promise to "disappear" on schedule and never be seen while Chloe was alive in order to preserve her history and so preserve her bitchiness causing Lucifer to have his epiphany.

I finally had time to watch the last episode, after admittedly putting it off out of fear that it wouldn't stick the landing, and as it turns out, I have mixed feelings. About this episode and this season in general, it was mostly good but was really hampered by the overuse of Rory. The whole season and this whole episode ended up being all about her and the family between her, Lucifer, and Chloe (Trixie who?) to the detriment of the rest of the cast who we have been following for much longer. The "kid from the future" trope is very high risk high reward, and Rory as a character never clicked enough for me to really care that much about her or her estrangement from her father. She spent just about all season angsty and pissed off about something that hadn't even happened yet and ended up creating the whole problem in the first place by making Lucifer promise not to be around for her childhood all in the name of the stupid time loop that no one seems to care about except for her. I really don't like that Chloe had to raise her daughters alone as a single mom (albeit with lots of support) with Lucifer and that Lucifer had to miss raising his daughter all because Rory made them promise to keep all of this a secret for stupid reasons, its really needlessly depressing. Its nice that Chloe and Lucifer are reunited in the end to spend eternity together, but it all seems so contrived to give us a bittersweet ending instead of a happy one. Like everyone else has said, there is no reason why Lucifer cant just pop up from Hell to visit his family as much as he wants the way Amenadiel (who is freaking God) does except for the stupid promise Rory insisted on for reasons that I still do not understand. Time travel is such a pain sometimes. I also don't like that Trixie wasn't there at Chloe's deathbed, without even a comment about her coming to see her and is rushing home from Mars to see Chloe, and they cant even say it was because of Scarlett's availability because they could easily have casted an older actress. I also don't buy that people would be "confused' by who she is, just have Chloe say how she loves Rory and she loves Trixie while looking at older Trixie, it just reads that either the show thinks we're idiots, or that they are way more invested in Rory as Chloe's daughter than Trixie.

That all being said, I did mostly really like this season and I liked a lot about this episode. Except for the way that things ended for Chloe/Lucifer/Rory, I like how things went for the rest of the cast, with Amenadiel becoming God as well as raising Charlie along with Linda, Chloe going back to being a cop to combat systematic racism (and Amenadiel's partner becoming a detective) Dan and Charlotte in heaven (love that they got Tricia back) Maze and Eve as bounty hunters in love, Ella helping girls in STEM with her cute boyfriend, I like how it all played out. I have mixed feelings about Lucifer not becoming God after going through so much to become God, it can feel like all of last season was a big waste of time where all of the characters really grew only for them to all pull back and end up back where they started. On the other hand, I do think that Lucifer deciding to focus on redeeming souls instead of punishing them was a well earned ending for him, even recreating Linda's office, and its a good way to cap the shows greater topics of redemption and the nature of evil. Its been shown many times that most people that do evil things never started out as "just" evil and that gaining a spot in hell is often the last stop in a series of bad circumstances and choices based around their past experiences and that they can still be redeemed if given enough time. Lucifer never really liked punishing people and has always thought the system was corrupt, so now he can really reform the system after spending time on Earth learning about empathy and the morally grey nature of humanity. I still think Lucifer as God would have been interesting, especially after so much build up, but I don't hate this ending for him. 

I enjoyed a lot about the season, but it really was hampered by Rory, a needless plot complication who took away valuable screen time from beloved characters and distracted from the most interesting philosophical ideas of the show as well as the fun banter that makes this show such a blast to watch. Rory is just not a fun character, she's this perpetually sour bratty teen despite being an adult woman who is at least middle aged, its probably not a coincident that all of my favorite episodes and plots were very low on Rory. 

Ending on Black Parade was a perfect last note, kudos to whoever came up with that one. 

This show has been a real ride, many highs and lows, and even with my complaints I am happy with this as our last season and am glad that the show ended on a higher note after being saved by Netflix. I will miss this show and its talented cast a lot, its been a devilishly good time. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

It's not an issue of Lucifer being unable (as in does not having the power to do so) to come up and visit Chloe.  It's that he can't risk doing it for fear of borking up the timeline.  (And also because when he makes a promise he feels honor-bound to keep it.). 

The idea is that the whole interaction with (tiresome, never should have been introduced!) Rory is what gave Lucifer the insight as to what his true calling was.  So she made him promise to "disappear" on schedule and never be seen while Chloe was alive in order to preserve her history and so preserve her bitchiness causing Lucifer to have his epiphany.

The things that drives me crazy about it was Lucifer's realization that he was meant to help people really came from helping Dan, not Rory. Then Rory just added in that he helped her too and that helped convince him to really do it.

The other thing that makes no sense is that teenage or adult Rory never popped down to Hell to look for Lucifer. We know she can do this, because as soon as she traveled back in time, she went to hell to look for him (even though she would have known he was on Earth at that point). So why not go down to look for him earlier. If the Devil disappears of the face of the Earth, Hell seems like the most likely spot to start looking for him.

• Love 6
On 9/27/2021 at 7:40 PM, KaveDweller said:

The things that drives me crazy about it was Lucifer's realization that he was meant to help people really came from helping Dan, not Rory. Then Rory just added in that he helped her too and that helped convince him to really do it.

The other thing that makes no sense is that teenage or adult Rory never popped down to Hell to look for Lucifer. We know she can do this, because as soon as she traveled back in time, she went to hell to look for him (even though she would have known he was on Earth at that point). So why not go down to look for him earlier. If the Devil disappears of the face of the Earth, Hell seems like the most likely spot to start looking for him.

Lucifer was on the journey to helping even before Dan, he helped Lee who was the first person to go through the door. Then he experimented about caring for people he doesn't care about (Carol) and someone he hated (Jimmy.) He was on the road to figuring it out without Rory. If Rory hadn't taken Dan out of Hell, Chloe would have met Dan in Hell in 6x3 and we don't know what would come of that, it could have put Dan on the path to realizing it was about Trixie (and Rory got lucky it worked out for Dan, she wasn't looking to help him, she was using her half sister's bio Dad as a pawn and was willing to have him stuck on Earth as a ghost just to stick it to Lucifer, because she's a brat... whose personality apparently needs to be preserved.) Rory was not needed to achieve any of this.

Apparently some of the producers did an interview (sorry I don't have a link I saw it on Twitter a few days ago and didn't save it) where they said "Oh Rory could have gone to hell but she didn't want to and it was only her anger in the moment of Chloe's death that got her angry enough to want to find him and she self herself back in time." They're on a mission to just interview their way into filling in the plot holes fans are calling out, and they're not doing a good job.

• Love 6

Well ..  that's that, I suppose. 
The only thing this episode was missing was the ending line: "And they all lived happily ever after." 

It was amusing when Lucifer was begging Rory not to damn herself to the guilt of killing a ruthless killer  ... just after he and Chloe had slow-moed their way through a small army of minions, shooting, slicing and dicing.  Then Chloe shoots him dead -- because Lucifer and Rory went with the age-old cliché of turning their backs on the killer who was only unconscious. 
It seems the TV rule is that it's only morally acceptable to kill a murderer when they are actively engaged in trying to kill you.  If they take a break to monologue, reload, or sneeze, it's wrong. 

It was a fun show.  This season made me realize that I actually preferred the weekly murder cases -- and how the writers managed to use them to reflect back on whatever issues Lucifer was dealing with at the time. 
This last season was a sweet farewell, but the show seemed to have lost its edginess and focus. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 5
On 9/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, shrewd.buddha said:

This last season was a sweet farewell, but the show seemed to have lost its edginess and focus. 

That’s what was missing this season.  The edginess.  They could’ve done so much more w/Adam, the problem of Lucifer’s immortality v Chloe’s mortality, Trixie dealing w/her grief, Luci struggling as God, heck even bring Rory back from the future if they wanted.

Instead we got her as a 30-40 yr old whining like a Goth teenager for numerous episodes, Linda’s stupid breach of confidentiality book (what a sad waste of her character this season), Chloe’s refusal to give up Amenadiel’s necklace, and the throw away ‘apocalypse’.  

The most edgy episode was probably’Yabba Dabba Do Me’.

• Love 5

I admit it -- I cried. There was a lot that I liked about the finale, but now as I'm sitting here slowly depleting a Bota Box, I'm starting to get a little angry. I didn't like Rory and I especially didn't like how she manipulated her father. I kept waiting for Lucifer to tell her, "Look, you are my child and I'll tell YOU what to do, not the other way around."

Why didn't Chloe just tell Rory that her father wasn't around because he had matters to attend to in hell? Did she think her daughter wouldn't believe her? You know, the daughter with the huge, stabby wings?

I will miss the characters, but I don't think I will be able to rewatch this show.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Why didn't Chloe just tell Rory that her father wasn't around because he had matters to attend to in hell? Did she think her daughter wouldn't believe her? You know, the daughter with the huge, stabby wings?

I finally decided Chloe didn't tell Rory anything because she knew she had to get angry at Lucifer, so she made him seem like the ultimate deadbeat dad. Because we do know that Chloe lied about when and where Luci left, so must have told a few whoppers to get Rory angry.

Also we complain about Rory acting like a child at 40, when Lucifer was still acting like a frat-boy/snotty teen with daddy issues at few millennia old. Angels/half angels mature very, very, very, very slowly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

Also we complain about Rory acting like a child at 40, when Lucifer was still acting like a frat-boy/snotty teen with daddy issues at few millennia old. Angels/half angels mature very, very, very, very slowly.

To me, Lucifer makes sense, because he didn't grow up on earth (amongst humanity). Once he was on earth he started to grow and mature( even before Chloe based on how he cared for Delilah and helped her out.) Rory on the other hand grew up on earth and humanity. Has a human mom, sister, classmates and I imagine friends. So it is harder for me to believe.

• Love 7

I’m thinking that rory’s anger was not just about her, but also about Chloe.  She was angry that Lucifer did not show up for her mother when she was dying. She said that she thought her mother was fooled by Lucifer, she didn’t understand how she could have this great love for someone who just disappeared. 

She was saying goodbye to her mother’s earthly life and Lucifer, her great love couldn’t be bothered to show up. That was the trigger.

• Love 1

Re: Luci not being able to go up to Earth to visit his family, someone on my FB group posted how if Rory didn’t get angry enough to get back in time, it would cause a domino effect and Dan might likely not get in Heaven.  He explained it so much better, tho.

Looking at it that way, I’m okay w/Lucifer not visiting them.  He didn’t seem as sad as he did in the beginning of S5, when he was missing his life & Chloe horribly.  I think that’s because he took comfort in his cause.

I still think there was too much Rory this season tho.  And I hated her attitude.

• Love 1

I don't inherently believe in a closed time loop, so I don't really buy they had to not say anything for 20 years to make their child angry enough to preserve the time loop. 

It's also ludicrous that she wouldn't have gone to hell to find him. 

• Love 4
On 9/29/2021 at 7:28 AM, Gigi43 said:

Lucifer was on the journey to helping even before Dan, he helped Lee who was the first person to go through the door. Then he experimented about caring for people he doesn't care about (Carol) and someone he hated (Jimmy.) He was on the road to figuring it out without Rory. If Rory hadn't taken Dan out of Hell, Chloe would have met Dan in Hell in 6x3 and we don't know what would come of that, it could have put Dan on the path to realizing it was about Trixie (and Rory got lucky it worked out for Dan, she wasn't looking to help him, she was using her half sister's bio Dad as a pawn and was willing to have him stuck on Earth as a ghost just to stick it to Lucifer, because she's a brat... whose personality apparently needs to be preserved.) Rory was not needed to achieve any of this.

Oh wow - GOOD POINT!  I've previously posted about my problems with the series finale, and now you can throw in the above post, as well as this:

• If a show's producers have to explain the finale, that's a sign there are problems.
  • If fans have to fanwank something happening or not happening, that's a sign there are problems. 

Thus, overall, the last ever episode had more minuses than pluses for me.

• Love 5

Was not impressed with season six and agree would have been better with the season five ending. 

I guess the ending was ok but how they got there in season six was painful. 

I don't understand. How can God go back and forth to see his earth child but not the devil? 

Mostly it was just Rory that ruined the season though. 

• Love 4
On 10/13/2021 at 7:23 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Was not impressed with season six and agree would have been better with the season five ending. 

I guess the ending was ok but how they got there in season six was painful. 

I don't understand. How can God go back and forth to see his earth child but not the devil? 

Mostly it was just Rory that ruined the season though. 

Luci couldn’t take the chance of Rory seeing him.  She needed to be angry so she could time travel, bringing Dan up from Hell so that he would eventually inhabit LeMec, thereby relieving his guilt and getting to Heaven.

But, I definitely agree that Rory brought down the season.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, roamyn said:

Luci couldn’t take the chance of Rory seeing him.  She needed to be angry so she could time travel, bringing Dan up from Hell so that he would eventually inhabit LeMec, thereby relieving his guilt and getting to Heaven.

But, I definitely agree that Rory brought down the season.

I suppose but the whole point anyway was Lucifer now changed to help all the people in hell, so why couldn't he help Dan that way more directly?  

• Love 1
21 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I suppose but the whole point anyway was Lucifer now changed to help all the people in hell, so why couldn't he help Dan that way more directly?  

But I don’t think he would’ve found that to be his calling.  It was the culmination of helping Mr. Said Out Butch, Dan & Rory that brought him to his realization.

59 minutes ago, roamyn said:

But I don’t think he would’ve found that to be his calling.  It was the culmination of helping Mr. Said Out Butch, Dan & Rory that brought him to his realization.

I think he realized it was his calling long before then and in enough time to realize he could help Dan and be there for his daughter. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think he realized it was his calling long before then and in enough time to realize he could help Dan and be there for his daughter. 

No.  It was aft they rescued Rory, and went back to the penthouse and she told Lucifer how he helped to save her, and he told Chloe that Dan had made it to Heaven.  That’s when he had the epiphany that He’ll doesn’t need a keeper, it’s needs a Healer.  

31 minutes ago, roamyn said:

No.  It was aft they rescued Rory, and went back to the penthouse and she told Lucifer how he helped to save her, and he told Chloe that Dan had made it to Heaven.  That’s when he had the epiphany that He’ll doesn’t need a keeper, it’s needs a Healer.  

Still was before Rory returned in her time loop though from what I recall. 

18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Still was before Rory returned in her time loop though from what I recall. 

Right.  Their realization of Lucifer's destiny is what caused Rory to go forward.  She forgave him, because she (they) realized his mission. 

Yeah, overall, I think this was the show's second-weakest season (after the painfully overstretched Season 3). And the big reason is that the showrunners and writers didn't take the time to work out logical plot lines for Dan re his guilt and Rory with ... well, everything about her motivations and attitudes.

I started rewatching and realized the hugest mistake they made was right in the beginning when they decided to try to fake us into thinking Rory would be the Big Villain for Season 6, by having her be nasty and contemptuous with everyone she met at first (and wait, we're also supposed to believe she's never seen pictures of her sister's dad before and wouldn't recognize his name and face down in Hell?) and ranting evilly about how she aimed to "destroy" Lucifer. They set her up as the villain so thoroughly that I thought it was just a trick when she told Chloe they were mother and daughter; it took me forever to be sure it wasn't. Really clumsy switch-up, guys.

The second-biggest mistake with the Rory plot line was not ever letting her give up on the bitterness, even after she and Lucifer connected through their music. ( That bit was nicely done; by that point, when BH shows up with the guitar and it's clear she's going to sing, I'm expecting something lower, rougher, emo and alt-rock-ish, and instead we get an uplifting classic, which she does a really good job with.) But then that all gets spoiled later on when they have Rory lose her shit yet again ... over never having had a family game night like Trixie did, of all things.

I think in general, the Lucifer crew was at its worst when they were given too much to work with -- in Season 3, when Fox out-of-the-blue ordered up a way longer episode count (22 plus the 2 extras, IIRC) than the show had ever gotten before, and now, when everyone on the show was already totally geared up for ending with Season 5.

• Love 5
On 9/10/2021 at 10:41 PM, Peace 47 said:

Hated that Trixie was an afterthought at most here.

That really bugged the shit out of me that we were invested so much in Trixie for six years only for her to be completely shafted in the background for Negasonic Teenage Warhead for the last couple of episodes.

Brianna Hildebrand is awesome and a wonderful actress, so that blunted my annoyance, but still- we were basically being asked to care about a brand-new character taking up most of the final few episodes of the show, purely because she's Lucifer and Chloe's daughter. That's just bullshit, irregardless of how good the actress you cast to play the character is.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
On 12/4/2021 at 12:37 AM, methodwriter85 said:

we were basically being asked to care about a brand-new character taking up most of the final few episodes of the show, purely because she's Lucifer and Chloe's daughter. That's just bullshit, irregardless of how good the actress you cast to play the character is.

I cared more abt Carol than Rory, and he was in only a couple of episodes.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I cared more abt Carol than Rory, and he was in only a couple of episodes.

Yeah, and he also didn't dominate the entire show like they had Rory do at the end of the series.

The only thing that kept me from resenting the hell out of Rory is the fact that Brianna Hildebrand is a fantastic actress, but again, it was such a random way to end the show.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:37 PM, methodwriter85 said:

That really bugged the shit out of me that we were invested so much in Trixie for six years only for her to be completely shafted in the background for Negasonic Teenage Warhead for the last couple of episodes.

Not to let them completely off the hook here, but I think part of it was Scarlett Estevez's schedule.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:38 PM, Lugal said:

Not to let them completely off the hook here, but I think part of it was Scarlett Estevez's schedule.

True, but that’s still no excuse for not having the character at Chloe’s deathbed.

• Love 4
On 12/10/2021 at 10:32 PM, roamyn said:

True, but that’s still no excuse for not having the character at Chloe’s deathbed.

I so agree The original dynamic of the show included Lucifer interacting with Trixie, who he really didn’t understand because she was a “human” child. One of my favorite scenes was when Mar took Trixie trick or treating and made her turn around and put on her actual demon face.

In terms of finales of awesome shows, this was a good one for me, but the connections i was invested in as a viewer were given short shrift. I know so much of this has to do with COVID, actors schedules and other things, but all the thoughtfulness of development of the characters (which was exceptional) seemed to fall by the wayside in this particular part of the finale.

• Love 2
On 12/10/2021 at 10:32 PM, roamyn said:

Exactly. Why exactly couldn't they have cast some fifty-something woman to play an Older Trixie? I don't understand that, at all.

• Love 5

I did like the ending. However, we don't know what happened to Trixie. They didn't even have an adult Trixie. Just the other daughter that they shoved into the plot line.  

I really didn't buy the angry daughter story.  Her father left when Chloe was barely pregnant with her. She had family members around. Lots of family members.  So, it didn't make sense to me.  She was angry for years over someone who was never in her life to begin with. 

My favorite moment was when Charlie sprouted wings. That was so awesome! 

I was glad Dan got to spend eternity with Charlotte. 

• Love 1