Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 2 • Sept. 20, 2021 — NO asterisk
6. 1980s Movies. The Dip used to kill characters in this 1988 film consisted of acetone, benzene & turpentine, ingredients of paint thinner.
7. Children’s Books. A book by her says, “It is said that the effect of eating too much lettuce is ‘soporific’…but then I am not a rabbit.”
8. Landmarks. 96 miles in total during its 3-decade existence, the most well-known part of this was about the same length as an Olympic marathon.
9. Food & Drink in the Bible. In the King James Version, these creatures are a plague in Exodus 10, but deemed okay to eat in Leviticus 11.
10. History of the 19-Teens. Saying he ignored warnings of enemy vessels, the British Admiralty sought to blame William Turner, this ship’s last captain in 1915.

4/5 I guess, but that’s being very generous with myself assuming that I could have gotten my responses written down in time on my imaginary board, and also assuming I went with “Potter” and not “Beatrice Potter”. I guess going forward I need to mentally commit sooner. 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Week 2: 4/5

YTD: 6/10

22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Okay.
Thanks to @saber5055 and @Clanstarling's encouragement, I'm "joining." 
I expect I will lower the class curve and thereby boost everyone else's relative scores. 🙃

Week 1: 1/5

Week 2: 3/5

Avg.: 40% 

Y'all are inspiring me to make my scorecard even more complicated... (I do have my two weeks' scores but it's not calculating YTD or percentage...yet.)

Edited by ams1001
apostrophe in the wrong place, y'all!
  • Love 2

Beatrix Potter and Locust were pretty easy as was Lusitania.

Same. Another at the 3/5 table. Barely. Lusitania didn't come to me until the think music was almost over. Had I been on the show, there wouldn't have been enough time to write it down, but since I was at home, it totally counts!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, OperaLover1229 said:

3 right, 2 wrong this week. No clue on Roger Rabbitt and was trying to think of a bridge for Wednesday’s FJ. Beatrix Potter and Locust were pretty easy as was Lusitania.

Beatrix Potter, Locusts, and Lusitania were my instagets (pats self on back) but I have the need to confess that for Wednesday I was thinking of Rt. 66, LOL, probably because there are "Landmarks" along it
--and I didn't read the clue carefully.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

3/5 - looks like it's the table to be at this week.

It is if you want to bask in my glowing aura and sit near me. Although I'm missing my newly upholstered chair at the head of T41. I'm really out of my comfort zone anywhere else. Hoping next week they'll stop with the dumbed-down clues that fit into my brain's wheelhouse.

@ams1001, all we keep track of here are correct FJ answers. No percentages unless you want to do that on your own as some math heads here like to do. *cough* My total percentage of correct answers wouldn't even break into double digits plus requires math so you won't catch me figuring that number.

In the '80s I saw every movie that came out, three or four every week. However, all those plots have become victims of long-term memory loss and I had no clue for Monday's answer, not even a bad guess.

Tuesday I thought Great Wall of China ... no, it's too long and tourists still walk on it. Then I settled on Hadrian's Wall. The UK is narrow and I think just parts of the wall still exist, so I went with that. I claim extra credit for being the only one to come up with that wrong answer.

WELCOME @shapeshifter! I am really tickled to have more new players this season. Score sheet now has 27 players. I will have to get a bigger Magic Cottage Cheese Tub! Waiting on you now, ams1001.

22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I have the need to confess that for Wednesday I was thinking of Rt. 66, LOL, probably because there are "Landmarks" along it

That's actually a very good wrong answer!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Okay.
Thanks to @saber5055 and @Clanstarling's encouragement, I'm "joining." 
I expect I will lower the class curve and thereby boost everyone else's relative scores. 🙃

Week 1: 1/5

Week 2: 3/5

Avg.: 40% 

Yay! I don't think you'll lower it any more than I have (which is to say, I've done my share of changing the curve into a downward trend). 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

...all we keep track of here are correct FJ answers. No percentages unless you want to do that on your own as some math heads here like to do. *cough* My total percentage of correct answers wouldn't even break into double digits plus requires math so you won't catch me figuring that number.

I'm mildly curious whether any of these "math heads" have a spreadsheet template (with the calculations already built) and whether it's in a form that could be shared.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

@ams1001, all we keep track of here are correct FJ answers. No percentages unless you want to do that on your own as some math heads here like to do. *cough* My total percentage of correct answers wouldn't even break into double digits plus requires math so you won't catch me figuring that number.

I know, but I'm a nerd who likes to play with Excel.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Waiting on you now, ams1001.

Wait, waiting on me for what?

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm mildly curious whether any of these "math heads" have a spreadsheet template (with the calculations already built) and whether it's in a form that could be shared.

I made a scorecard in Excel for the games. I have a grid for each round and I put a 1 if I got it right and a 0 if didn't. Then it counts the number of 1s and the total number of cells with a number in them (so it doesn't include clues they didn't get to) and calculates the percentage that have a 1. I just put a little list at the bottom to keep my number of FJs for the week. Happy to share it if there's a way to do that...

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I know, but I'm a nerd who likes to play with Excel.

I made a scorecard in Excel for the games. I have a grid for each round and I put a 1 if I got it right and a 0 if didn't. Then it counts the number of 1s and the total number of cells with a number in them (so it doesn't include clues they didn't get to) and calculates the percentage that have a 1. I just put a little list at the bottom to keep my number of FJs for the week. Happy to share it if there's a way to do that...

I'm only looking at the FJ's for now, but I think we're on the same track.  I also have a column for asterisks (1, 0, or n/a).  I can add in the totals and percentages, just wondering if anyone has already done that.

17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

If you want to sign up for the contest. Would love to have you join but if not, that's okay too. This is a freedom-of-choice thread. Only signed-up players are on my score sheet and therefore eligible for prizes. Just sayin'.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If you want to sign up for the contest. Would love to have you join but if not, that's okay too. This is a freedom-of-choice thread. Only signed-up players are on my score sheet and therefore eligible for prizes. Just sayin'.

I thought I did...

3/5. Rabbits and locusts.

I'm usually good with WWII and ok with WWI but not this week. In my defense (if you can call it a defense), I just finished a biography of Richard Sorge, so in all up on the Soviet side just now. And its all been fighter pilots on audible for me the last few weeks. You'd be amazed how many books there are about WWII pilots. I just finished one about the Night Witches, so again, all Soviets. So that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought I did...

That's what Thomas The Train said.

If you posted scores for last week and this, I missed them. Which is not unusual. Repost if you would please and thank you. I'll HEART LIKE the post once I've recorded them.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Beatrix Potter, Locusts, and Lusitania were my instagets (pats self on back) but I have the need to confess that for Wednesday I was thinking of Rt. 66, LOL, probably because there are "Landmarks" along it
--and I didn't read the clue carefully.

Route 66 was my answer as well, although I thought it was likely incorrect.

• Love 4

Week two: two of five. The rabbits did me in - Monday I knew it was that Jessica Rabbit movie, and Tuesday I knew it was the author of Peter Rabbit and Renee Zellweger played her in the movie. Wednesday I was totally clueless and afraid I was headed for the T40! But I rallied with locusts and Lusitania.

This weekend is Greek Fest Grab 'N Go at the local Greek Orthodox Church, so I'll grab and go with a big order of baklava. Someone bring lots of napkins!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Smaller photos please? Or is it just me affected by mombo pictures?

I agree, but @saber5055, can you repost your photo re-sizing instructions?  
If I do it, they will be tl;dr. 

Also:   
I can no longer resize on Safari on my iPhone, but Chrome on my iPhone or PC works. 

3/5.  I could have told you lots of interesting things about the Lusitania... okay, two or three interesting things.  What I couldn't tell you?  The word Lusitania.  I got the name Andrea Doria stuck in my head and I knew that was WAY WRONG and I knew I wanted the ship that was the Lusitania but the word Lusitania?   Yeah.  No.  

I even thought, "what's significant about paint thinner" and I didn't think of Roger Rabbit.  I mean as soon as they said Roger Rabbit I was like, "DUH" but I didn't get it. :)

• Love 6

Somehow stumbled my way to 5/5 this week.  Monday, Tuesday and Friday were instagets - I have fond memories of see Roger Rabbit on a big screen when it was first released with a friend who was my movie buddy at the time - we went almost weekly and saw a wide variety of films.  Weirdly haven't read much Beatrix Potter but just knew somehow it was the right answer.   Recently listened to selections from the musical "Ragtime" which includes a reference to a character dying on the Luistania.

Wednesday and Thursday were more in the educated guesses area.  I couldn't think of another edible plague  so went with locusts and I thought the length of time & distance was about right for the Wall so chose it probably because I have a vivid memory of going from West to East Berlin with the Parent Grundoons on a tour bus in 1971 and being scared out of my little 11 year old wits

• Love 7

4/5 for me this week. I missed Roger Rabbit too. I kept wondering what movie featured dip that was being poisoned and served to some painter/artist. I couldn't come up with even a good bad answer.

@Grundoon59, I always enjoy reading your posts, they are so entertaining.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

As long as Matt is reigning champion, it would be fun to add him to the contest. He's missed a couple FJs which might put some of our players ahead of him for the week. Talk about bragging rights!

I think that would be fun and funny. Any volunteers to go back through the last two weeks at TJF for his scores/totals? It could be worth a special Prize Of The Week for our players!

Agree with @PBnJay, @Grundoon59 your story-telling posts are a highlight for me.

Edited by saber5055

@PBnJay & @saber5055 - thank you - I do worry that I ramble on too much (and probably do) but I find it odd how often a clue/answer relates back to a memory.  I always enjoy reading others' responses so I tried to follow suit.  This board has helped me through some difficult times this past 18 months to the point where I regard posting as talking with friends. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The hug emoji does NOT look like a hug. It looks like jazz hands. 

Emojis don't display in either of my browsers so when someone posts one in response to something I wrote, I don't know if it's a big HEART or someone blowing raspberries, sticking out a tongue or flipping me off. Probably one of those last three but I pretend it's a heart.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1