Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

59 minutes ago, IdEatThat said:
19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was surprised none of them got that one, especially after German measles was eliminated.  Rubeola is regular measles.  Rubella is German measles.  That's what the "R" in the MMR shot is f

I thought it was Measles, mumps and rubella (German measles).

Edited 54 minutes ago by IdEatThat
Edited because I realized I said the same thing you did. Doh!

Weird, I wasn't the one who wrote the comment you quoted.  But I don't disagree.

• Love 1

I got confused, and had to clarify the differences myself - so this is what I found:

It (Rubella) is also called German measles, but it is caused by a different virus than measles.

Although rubella or measles may have some similar characteristics, they are not the same. Rubella is caused by the Rubella virus that invades the lymph nodes, eyes, and skin. Measles is caused by Morbillivirus that infects the respiratory system. Usually mild, but can get severe in pregnant women.J

So now Measles, Mumps, and Rubella make sense to me. I never gave it a thought before.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I love it when the whole category list is themed. I'm always mildly annoyed when there's a theme but it's only two or three of them.

So when they say that the categories are randomly selected for each game, how does this work? does an entire gameboard get chosen?

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

So when they say that the categories are randomly selected for each game, how does this work? does an entire gameboard get chosen?

I assume they put together each game as one piece (especially since sometimes themes get carried over between rounds, like using the same title twice, referring to completely different topics, or a category in round 2 is a homonym of one from round 1 and stuff like that). I googled and found a thing that says this:

"The categories of the five shows are fixed in the morning. To keep things fair, contestant names are written on a piece of paper and selected randomly before each game to make sure that categories and questions they get are completely random."

So it's random as far as which contestant plays which set of categories, but the categories themselves aren't randomly selected to put the game board together.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

While I'm glad that we had back-to-back-to-back women champions, the quality of the games so far since Amy Schneider has been quite dreadful.  So many TSs, unfinished boards, scores less than 10K before final Jeopardy...I totally understand how some viewers prefer competitive games over super champ streaks, but I would rather have streaks over games with weak players any day.

• Love 12

On 3/11/2022 at 8:05 PM, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of honey crisp, Frida Kahlo (a wild guess), The Time Machine, aberrant, and Androcles.

I didn't get aberrant - in fact I blanked that entire category, but I did get the rest.  It helped that I knew Trotsky was murdered in Mexico and the only female Mexican artist I know is Kahlo.

13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm amused by the "Maureen was drunk" comments. I admit that never crossed my mind; I took her giggles to be the "I'm laughing so I don't cry" type. I was sad to see her podium empty at the end.

I'm not amused.  That's pretty much how I took it, too.  And I probably would've reacted very similarly if I'd realized I'd messed up a clue the way she did a couple of them.

8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Weird, I wasn't the one who wrote the comment you quoted.  But I don't disagree.

It was my post.  And I said that Rubella (German measles) was the R in the MMR vaccine.

5 hours ago, Ritalin Smoothie said:

While I'm glad that we had back-to-back-to-back women champions, the quality of the games so far since Amy Schneider has been quite dreadful.  So many TSs, unfinished boards, scores less than 10K before final Jeopardy...I totally understand how some viewers prefer competitive games over super champ streaks, but I would rather have streaks over games with weak players any day.

I hate streaks, especially when so many of the games are runaways.  I like to see competitive games.  Yes, that means occasionally we get a really dud game like Friday's, but most of the games have been good.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Weird, I wasn't the one who wrote the comment you quoted. 

You quoted the comment in one of your posts, and then another poster pulled that original comment from your post.  That's when these misattributions happen -- Member A posts something.  Member B quotes it in a reply.  Member C pulls it (highlights and then selects Quote Selection) from B's post.  So the quote in C's post gets attributed to B rather than A.  We have to go back to the original post in order for the quote function to attribute correctly.  It happens enough I wish the software developers would work out a solution rather than relying on users to crack the code.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

Playing catch up here so I apologize for my tardiness , but a few days ago I thought Ken was awfully picky on “ Anne Boleyn“ pronunciation and then the next day I think the contestant says “ Yogi Bear” instead of Berra ( I rewound a couple of times and sure sounded like Bear?) and it’s accepted.  Anybody know what I’m talking about?

• Love 3

I liked the acknowledgment of the Correspondence of Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore Project and would be glad to hear more in that vein from time to time. It's a nice way to thank those who have helped the writers / researchers beyond the easily-overlooked credits roll, and to let viewers know about interesting thing going on beyond the show.

I was glad Amy won.  She's from even nearer where my mother's family lives than Maureen was and seems a more level personality.  She should be proud of that comeback.  The NIH headquarters in Bethesda was definitely "you-either-know-it-or-you-don't."  No question that location has been in the news recently, but that's not what most would take away from the reports of those speaking there, and I don't think there's just one Maryland suburb where governmental offices not in Washington are all located.  So bad luck on that one!

I knew "a 70s show called _____ Files" was Rockford Files because Joe Santos, who played Becker, was on Match Game once or twice a year near the end of its run with Gene Rayburn.  I know a sentence or two about a lot of shows from that era I haven't otherwise learned about yet, just from skimming the Wikipedia articles on wherever game show announcers said the celebrity panelists were from.  It's an odd way to get there, but they pay the $1000 no matter how you do it. ;)

• Love 6

In J! I ran Hobbies, missed only one each in I love you 3000, Europe, 70s TV, and two each in the others. DJ may well be my worst score yet (though I don't keep my old scores so I can't check, which is just as well); got 4 in NYT Book Review but only 9 in total for the rest of the round. No FJ.

There were only two TSes in J! and I got 'em both - UHF and aerie. There were several (6 plus a missed DD) in the second round but I only got Patience the lion and half of Terpsichore Trickery (in part because I was apparently pronouncing Terpsichore wrong, though to be honest I'm sure I would not have come up with it anyway).

Aw, I was rooting for Matt, but I like Amy, too. (Susan was fine, too, but a little slow on the clue-picking.)

image.png.a2f396635a80199a728eead090edacda.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

When I learned that Matt G. was calling himself "OtherMattonJeopardy," I thought he was throwing out a hint that he would be a multi-day champ. I did not expect him to be a one-and-done. Oh well, Amy really earned that win. I was sure someone else would come up with "aerie" after she blurted out something like it at the last second. I wonder if she will call herself "OtherJeopardAmy."

I knew Gallipoli largely thanks to the 1981 movie. It was one of Mel Gibson's earliest, back when he was a gorgeous hunk and not a drunken sexist asshole punch line.

• Love 12

I didn't have an answer for FJ.  Combining geography and World War I was a surefire recipe for failure.  LOL.

I got the missed clues of aerie (if I can count that, but I will since neither of the other contestants jumped on it), UHF, Bethesda, Patience, and Kierkegaard (sp?).

I got the entire categories of 70s TV, hobbies and libraries right.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew Gallipoli largely thanks to the 1981 movie. It was one of Mel Gibson's earliest, back when he was a gorgeous hunk and not a drunken sexist asshole punch line.

That's why I guessed Gallipoli.  My even guessing that was lucky due to lack of knowledge.  That was about the only place I could think of that was related to WWI.  Sometimes ignorance is a plus.

I also got the TS of aerie, UHF, Bethesda, alpha, and breeder.

• Love 2

I thought what Amy blurted out was "Erie," and I was trying to connect that with ospreys fast before the buzzer.  Perhaps it was for a similar reason that Matt and Susan weren't confident enough to repeat what they heard either?

Edited by 853fisher
I made it make more sense
  • Love 1

There are two major battles/locations from WWI that I recall from high school history - Ypres and Gallipoli. I'm sure I could recall more if I wasn't so tired...but there was certainly no burden of knowledge here! Ypres isn't on a peninsula, so that left Gallipoli.

• Love 3

So Amy thinks Aretha Franklin was a member of The Supremes?

If you had said "Tell me four things about Millard Fillmore" I don't know that I could have done so, but I managed to get four right in that category.  My only other miss in the first round was aerie (even after Amy said it; I obviously knew it wasn't nest, given the category, but I had no idea what the nest was called).

In DJ, I was terrible in nuclear physics, missing all but fusion.  Hell, I did better in gods, missing three, when usually a religion/mythology category will be my worst of a game.  I ran libraries and SH and got all but one in rivers and book reviews. 

And now I know how to pronounce Terpsichore, a chapter title of a story I read, but was too lazy to get up and look up and had never heard said -- in my head, I read it as Terp-suh-KORE.

But I didn't know FJ.  I didn't even have a guess; I know a lot about the Holocaust and the Vietnam War, and a fair bit about the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, but otherwise I'm very spotty with war history.  This was not one of the things I knew/remembered about WWI.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And now I know how to pronounce Terpsichore, a chapter title of a story I read, but was too lazy to get up and look up and had never heard said -- in my head, I read it as Terp-suh-KORE.

I first heard of Terpsichore in the lyrics of Come Dance With Me where it is mispronounced intentionally to rhyme with for. And I was talking about the mispronunciation only last week, so Terpsichore to rhyme with trickery came to me easily. 

Gallipoli did not come to me at all. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Amy really earned that win. I was sure someone else would come up with "aerie" after she blurted out something like it at the last second. 

I thought she pronounced it right. Or maybe it just sounded right to me because I knew the answer. Either way, I thought Ken saying “Sorry, too much time” would clue the others into the fact that she had it, she just took too much time. I was very surprised neither of them accepted the gift.

I enjoyed reading Matt’s blog entries about his experience (thanks to Bastet posting a link on the “What Is…In the Media” page), and was hoping the story would have at least a few more chapters. Oh, well. In today’s entry, he noted that Amy impressed/ scared him with her skills in pre-game rehearsal. Also that she was scheduled to play a long time ago, but had to wait because the producers didn’t want two Amys in the same game.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I enjoyed reading Matt’s blog entries about his experience (thanks to Bastet posting a link on the “What Is…In the Media” page), and was hoping the story would have at least a few more chapters. Oh, well. In today’s entry, he noted that Amy impressed/ scared him with her skills in pre-game rehearsal. Also that she was scheduled to play a long time ago, but had to wait because the producers didn’t want two Amys in the same game.

That's interesting, I've always wondered what they do to avoid having two same-named contestants in a game, especially since names like "Amy" and "Matt" aren't all that unusual.

Have they ever had two names that might get confused for one another? Like, "John" and "Jonathan," or "Larry" and "Barry"?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sokarys said:

That's interesting, I've always wondered what they do to avoid having two same-named contestants in a game, especially since names like "Amy" and "Matt" aren't all that unusual.

Have they ever had two names that might get confused for one another? Like, "John" and "Jonathan," or "Larry" and "Barry"?

Pretty sure I recall Alex once mentioning that one player was using a middle or last name because they had the same name as the returning champ.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Buzzy Cohen's given name is Austin, which was helpful when he competed against Austin Rogers.  But he was using the name "Buzzy" even in his regular games, so that doesn't really count.

I knew Gallipoli from the Eric Bogle song "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda," based on the mention of Suvla Bay ("In that hell that they called Suvla Bay, we were butchered like lambs at the slaughter...").

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I knew Gallipoli from the Eric Bogle song "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda," based on the mention of Suvla Bay ("In that hell that they called Suvla Bay, we were butchered like lambs at the slaughter...").

That's how I got it too! Written by Eric Bogle but it's the Liam Clancy/Tommy Makem version I am familiar with.

This is not the first time the lyrics of a song have helped me to a Jeopardy answer, when it is not even a music question.

I don't think I got any ts's.  It was overall a rather poor game for me except for FJ.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Sokarys said:

Or Carrie and Kerry, which may or may not be pronounced the same?  Guessing they would not be put in the same game.

• Love 1

Buzzy Cohen's given name is Austin, which was helpful when he competed against Austin Rogers.  But he was using the name "Buzzy" even in his regular games, so that doesn't really count.

I was thinking about that, you beat me to it! I wonder what they would have done in the ToC if Buzzy had gone by his real name on the show? 

I knew 'aerie' from the John Denver song. Heard it as a little kid, and have remembered ever since that aerie is another word for nest. It's not the first time that knowledge has helped me to answer a J! clue. 

Or Carrie and Kerry, which may or may not be pronounced the same?

This is the show that thought 'cherry' and 'scary' rhyme, so I'm sure they could find a way to pronounce them the same. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Driad said:

Or Carrie and Kerry, which may or may not be pronounced the same?  Guessing they would not be put in the same game.

Or Barry and Berry? I remember it was controversial a couple of years ago when a contestant wrote "Barry Gordy" in FJ and was ruled wrong.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

This is the show that thought 'cherry' and 'scary' rhyme

But "cherry" and "scary" DO rhyme!

Probably best not to get into that discussion again... 😀

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I'm sorry to see the attractive champ lose, but the new one seems good.

I'll confess: I accidentally saw the FJ clue on the archive while trying to look at something in a previous game, but even without knowing the category then, it was an instaget.  Cape Helles led me to the Hellespont and Turkey, and that meant Gallipoli was the obvious answer.  (I can thank Peter Weir for that one.)

16 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The NIH headquarters in Bethesda was definitely "you-either-know-it-or-you-don't." 

I knew it was a suburb of DC but could not come up with Bethesda to save my life.  I said Silver Spring knowing damned well it was wrong.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

but I only got Patience the lion and half of Terpsichore Trickery (in part because I was apparently pronouncing Terpsichore wrong,

I knew they wanted something with Terpsichore, and I knew the correct pronunciation, but didn't think of trickery.  I did get the rest of the category, though.

15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

That's always my example whenever anyone questions Gibson's acting ability.  He and Mark Lee were both fantastic in that movie, and yes, Mel was a freaking Adonis back then.  Too bad he's an asshole.

I ran the 70s' tv category and completely bombed the nuclear physics one.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I thought she pronounced it right. Or maybe it just sounded right to me because I knew the answer. Either way, I thought Ken saying “Sorry, too much time” would clue the others into the fact that she had it, she just took too much time.

Yeah, she said it correctly but after time had run out.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I wonder what they would have done in the ToC if Buzzy had gone by his real name on the show? 

When I was in school, we often had multiple kids with the same name and teachers always referred to them by FirstNameLastName. 

I think it would be a disadvantage for a player to have to use a new or unfamiliar-to-them nickname during gameplay. It would slow down the realization that you were being called on, or increase the incidence of a contestant answering when they were not called on.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

and yes, Mel was a freaking Adonis back then. 

My high school senior year English class was ostensibly focused on American Lit, but we watched the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet (which was a couple years old at the time) just because our teacher thought he was hot.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew they wanted something with Terpsichore, and I knew the correct pronunciation, but didn't think of trickery.  I did get the rest of the category, though.

I mostly see it in the form "terpsichorean" (which I knew means related to dance) so that probably influenced my pronunciation of the actual name (though I wasn't saying that entirely correctly, either, at least according to the pronunciation google gave me.

16 minutes ago, possibilities said:

When I was in school, we often had multiple kids with the same name and teachers always referred to them by FirstNameLastName. 

I worked with four Daves and three Adams at one point. There was Dave B, Dave C, and Dave (also C) who mostly worked in receiving so we just called that phone instead of paging if we needed him specifically, and another Dave B (who only worked on his college breaks so he wasn't around a lot) and we just used his full name when he was there. Then there was Adam, Adam C, (who also worked in receiving; brother of Dave in receiving), and the third Adam just went by his last name (it was even on his name tag).

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I worked with four Daves and three Adams at one point. There was Dave B, Dave C, and Dave (also C) who mostly worked in receiving so we just called that phone instead of paging if we needed him specifically, and another Dave B (who only worked on his college breaks so he wasn't around a lot) and we just used his full name when he was there. Then there was Adam, Adam C, (who also worked in receiving; brother of Dave in receiving), and the third Adam just went by his last name (it was even on his name tag).

I once worked with 6 other Jennifers in the same Borders Books.  We all had gone by various possible nicknames (Jenny, Jenna, Jen + last initial), but eventually there was another Jen W (my name) so at some point I put "Persephone" on my name tag and that was my name at work for the next several years.

• Love 11

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd dealt with two same-named contestants in a ToC at some point.  It might sound a little funny, or high school quiz bowl - ish, but they could consider going just with last names in that case.  I'd rather it sound a little odd than risk false starts, hesitations, etc.

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

That brings me back!  In my parochial school class we used last initials.  There were Jack C and Jack K and maybe a female pair too.  I was part of a third pair.  I've kept up with my counterpart peripherally and noticed we both go by different variations on our names now, so we could have saved our teachers the trouble!

25 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

That brings me back!  In my parochial school class we used last initials.  There were Jack C and Jack K and maybe a female pair too.  I was part of a third pair.  I've kept up with my counterpart peripherally and noticed we both go by different variations on our names now, so we could have saved our teachers the trouble!

One perk of having a "different" name is there's never another one in your class. The downside is no one pronounces it right (and you can never find it on a mug or a Christmas ornament).

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

(and you can never find it on a mug or a Christmas ornament).

Nor are there a lot of celebrities/tv characters with the name. Me, I'm Elaine and I get called Eileen (never Ellen, even though I tend to pronounce it like A Lane) and Margaret (regularly called that by a particular bus driver). I think, maybe, I can name a half dozen "Elaine"s, real and fictional. But that's it. (BTW, my sister is an Amy!)

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Nor are there a lot of celebrities/tv characters with the name. Me, I'm Elaine and I get called Eileen (never Ellen, even though I tend to pronounce it like A Lane) and Margaret (regularly called that by a particular bus driver). I think, maybe, I can name a half dozen "Elaine"s, real and fictional. But that's it. (BTW, my sister is an Amy!)

lol...my name is very similar, actually. It's Allein, pronounced al-leen, pretty much just like it's spelled. Mostly I get A-leen, but I've gotten Eileen, Elaine, and even the occasional Allison(?). (Though I had a regular customer when I worked in the bookstore who pronounced it like 'align' which is how it would be pronounced in German (it means "alone"). He spoke German and reminded me of my dad so I let him get away with it.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5

Not a bad game…guess 7 really is a lucky number: 77% / 77% / 77%

Ran Foreign Words, TV News, Fashion, Glowpourri, and Movie Madness. Missed one Ancient Mariner, one Crossword Clue, four Waters, and two each in everything else.

FJ was an instaguess.

Got all the DDs and my TSes were The Morning Show, The Gap, Reservoir Dogs (total guess; I really only know one Tarantino movie beyond the titles), and Sibelius. 

I liked everyone today. Ariel reminds me of someone but I can't place who. I was rooting for Simi just for her dinosaur dress.

Oddly enough, I got Gabrielle Union from her husband (I do not follow sports), not her show (which I have never heard of).

That Doyle clue was way too easy for 1600.

• Love 2

I was bouncing back and fort between earthquake an dlanded on tornado because of the movie Twister.

I got the missed clues of The Gap and Reservoir Dogs (which is weird because I have never seen any Tarantino movies).

I didn't run anythig, but then again I didn't totally miss anything either.  So-so night.

• Love 2

I got Tornado!!!! That's about it. I just needed to get that to feel smart. I laughed heartily at "surprise"....Just thrilled to have Ken back for another week....

..and to the person who said they knew Aerie from John Denver....thank you. That's not a well known JD album but it's a great acoustic effort by him..came out right after Country Roads hit big and didn't fare well....

• Love 2

Simi's "That's how you pronounce that - okay" when Ken corrected her on bon mot was cute; J! has taught me the correct pronunciation of several things I'd only ever seen written, never heard said (like Terpsichore just last night).

I did not have as good a first round as I typically do; I ran everywhere and got all but one in foreign words, but missed two each in everything else.

In DJ, I ran buildings, movies, and glow, and got all but one in Q, but blew authors entirely (I knew Joyce, but couldn't spit it out in time, and the rest I didn't know) and missed all but one in classical music.

So a rather blah game for me, but I did correctly guess FJ.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I once worked with 6 other Jennifers in the same Borders Books.  We all had gone by various possible nicknames (Jenny, Jenna, Jen + last initial), but eventually there was another Jen W (my name) so at some point I put "Persephone" on my name tag and that was my name at work for the next several years.

How many customers/colleagues called you Percy Phone? (Speaking of which, did anyone else notice Ken's weird pronunciation of Conan Doyle as Connan Doyle?}

What kind of name is Dwyane?  They need to have a category of "Parents who should be shot because of the way they spelled their children's names."

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Leeds said:

What kind of name is Dwyane?  They need to have a category of "Parents who should be shot because of the way they spelled their children's names."

I have never noticed his name was spelled that way until I read your comment. Then I looked at the archive to see if that's how they had it. Then I looked for his wikipedia page. "Wade attributes the uncommon spelling of his and his father's first name to his grandmother." Then I went to the citation for that quote.

"I have no idea. I'm a junior — I got that name from my father. I asked him — my grandma said that's how she felt it was spelled. There you go."

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

I live in Texas, so of course I got tornado!

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Same here. But that might be a little time consuming (and potentially tongue-twisting) in a fast paced game like this. I’m sure it’s easier to just keep the like-named separated.

5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd dealt with two same-named contestants in a ToC at some point. 

If Amy keeps winning, it could happen soon! I assume they’d be separated in early rounds, but a matchup could happen. (Now I’m kind of rooting for that, just to see how they’d handle it.)

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

One perk of having a "different" name is there's never another one in your class. The downside is no one pronounces it right (and you can never find it on a mug or a Christmas ornament).

Child Me hated that I could never find my name on one of those mini license plates…

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

lol...my name is very similar, actually. It's Allein 

Pretty!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Child Me hated that I could never find my name on one of those mini license plates…

Me, too! I was so excited when my school did a thing where we could order pencils with our names on them. I forget how many we got; maybe 5. But they had my name!!

My one consolation was that my brother, while he has a fairly common name, he has the less common spelling (of two possibilities) so we didn't often find his name, either.

3 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Pretty!

Thanks! :)

• Love 3

I thought Simi was impressive. $17K going into FJ without any DDs is nothing to sneeze at. Maybe she will be on their list for Second Chance. I've said it before but it bears repeating: I really hope they will use objective criteria.

Allein is lovely! It also reminds me of Allyn McLerie, who was big in musical theater and also worked in film and TV. She passed away in 2018. I doubt she had much luck finding her name printed on souvenirs either.

Common names can have other sillier pitfalls. My mother, meant to be named for my great-grandmother, is Ann instead of Annie because my grandmother wrongly assumed that Annie was a diminutive, although she never went by Ann. Grammy didn't want to ask because it would have spoiled the surprise!

Edited by 853fisher