Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Argh, I got hung up on “title character” and was trying to come up with Fifties films with a woman’s name in the title. Never would have come up with Sleeping Beauty.

Worse----I knew Aurora, but misread the clue and for some reason thought that Aurora was the last name of the title character and came up with Marty!!! 

• LOL 2
53 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I got big river just from context of the clue and category.  Huck Finn (or was it Tom sawyer?   Whatever) and big?  Big river makes sense. 

It's Huck Finn (although Tom Sawyer is a character, and has a couple of songs).  Big River is another show that we have the cast album for, and listen to on long road trips.  Some surprising people in the original cast, like John Goodman and Rene Auberjonois.  The songs were by Roger Miller, the "King of the Road" guy.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

It's Huck Finn (although Tom Sawyer is a character, and has a couple of songs).  Big River is another show that we have the cast album for, and listen to on long road trips.  Some surprising people in the original cast, like John Goodman and Rene Auberjonois.  The songs were by Roger Miller, the "King of the Road" guy.

It hurt my heart that Big River was a TS.  I saw the original production when it was on tour in Detroit and love the original cast album (Ron Richardson's voice as Jim delights my soul and the whole cast is strong).  Mother Grundoon and I also saw the 2003 revival in NYC by the Roundabout and Deaf West theater companies.  It incorporated verbal and signed performances and was one of the most remarkable things I have ever seen on stage. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ran Golf Course

I did too, I guess my mother's interest rubbed off since I find golf to be the most boring sport in the universe.

7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Argh, I got hung up on “title character” and was trying to come up with Fifties films with a woman’s name in the title. Never would have come up with Sleeping Beauty.

Me, too.  I knew Aurora was the Roman goddess of the dawn but couldn't make the name fit into a movie title.  Sleeping Beauty never even occurred to me.

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My TSes were Laredo, Big River, sink, and Song of Solomon (DD).

I got Laredo and Big River, also Russia, Rachel and Big Dipper.  Came up with Song of Songs instead of Song of Solomon.  Maybe they'd have accepted that?

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I got big river just from context of the clue and category.  Huck Finn (or was it Tom sawyer?   Whatever) and big?  Big river makes sense. 

I've never seen the musical, but I remember when it was on Broadway.  Rene Auberjonois was in the original production, which is probably why I knew it.  I loved him as an actor.  I didn't realize Roger Miller had written it, though.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Came up with Song of Songs instead of Song of Solomon.  Maybe they'd have accepted that?

Quoting myself because I did some googling and discovered that Song of Songs and Song of Solomon are the same bible book.  Song of Solomon is the title in the King James version but since the clue didn't specifically reference that version, they would've had to accept Song of Songs as correct.  So I'm counting that one.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I did too, I guess my mother's interest rubbed off since I find golf to be the most boring sport in the universe.

You might change your mind on that if you ever have the displeasure of sitting through a 5 day cricket test match that ends in a draw.

• LOL 16
26 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

You might change your mind on that if you ever have the displeasure of sitting through a 5 day cricket test match that ends in a draw.

That is true.  Although I was always quite fond of cricket whites back in the day.  Golf is played in the most boring clothes.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Me, too.  I knew Aurora was the Roman goddess of the dawn but couldn't make the name fit into a movie title.  Sleeping Beauty never even occurred to me.

I got Laredo and Big River, also Russia, Rachel and Big Dipper.  Came up with Song of Songs instead of Song of Solomon.  Maybe they'd have accepted that?

I've never seen the musical, but I remember when it was on Broadway.  Rene Auberjonois was in the original production, which is probably why I knew it.  I loved him as an actor.  I didn't realize Roger Miller had written it, though.

Rene auberjonois is a direct descendant of napoleon. 

I learned that just this year and not sure why it came up.  But it makes the show Benson more enjoyable now thinking of it as a descendant of napoleon helps run the state government of Colorado as an assistant the the governor. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Even after watching all of DS9, I still think of him as the original Father Mulcahy (in the movie M*A*S*H)

I think of him as the governor's chief of staff on Benson.  He was so good in that role.  Not that he was ever not excellent.

• Love 3

I did get to Aurora for FJ but I didn't know she was Sleeping Beauty.  Did Sleeping Beauty always have a first name or is Aurora a Disneyfication?

For ts's, I got Laredo, Big River, and Bell (of freedom). I was so close to Song of Solomon but I just couldn't get it out.

Congrats to Mattea for making it into the top ten of winners streaks.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Trey said:

I did get to Aurora for FJ but I didn't know she was Sleeping Beauty.  Did Sleeping Beauty always have a first name or is Aurora a Disneyfication?

For ts's, I got Laredo, Big River, and Bell (of freedom). I was so close to Song of Solomon but I just couldn't get it out.

Congrats to Mattea for making it into the top ten of winners streaks.

In older versions dating as far back as the 14th century she was not named aurora.  Various names in different versions. 

Tchaikovsky ballet sleeping beauty in 1890 appears to be the first version where she is named aurora.  

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

But it makes the show Benson more enjoyable now thinking of it as a descendant of napoleon helps run the state government of Colorado as an assistant the the governor. 

Colorado???? Wasn't it Georgia?

I don't think Benson ever identified what state it was set in.  It was a spin-off of Soap, which was set in Connecticut, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Benson took place in the same state.

• Love 1

I spent some time last week researching the original theatrical run of "Sleeping Beauty" in and around San Francisco.  In addition to beautiful graphic ads, the local papers often ran multiple short "advertorials" daily, each featuring a fact from the press kit for various movies, or information about a publicity stunt.  My favorite was one stating that the manager of the theater hoped to add a copy of the program from the Tchaikovsky ballet's premier to his lobby display.  “Programs from other performances of the [ballet] will not be accepted," the request concluded, a bit imperiously, I thought!  They just don't do showmanship like that anymore.

So, after spending several hours reading and writing about all this, did I get FJ right?  Of course not!  That would have required knowing the name of the Roman goddess of the dawn.  Womp womp.

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Golf is played in the most boring clothes.

So... not a fan of the wonderful Payne Stewart, I take it? (If I knew how to post internet photos here, I would... there are several of Payne which are most definitely NOT boring. He was like the Met Gala for golf.)

From a personal memory, I once played in an international golf tournament (we played nine holes in Canada and then 9 holes in USA... one of the most fun memories of my 20's) and I returned home without the awesome outfit I wore golfing - it was stolen while I was changing. Tip: don't throw your clothes over the door of a washroom stall while naked. You can't run after the thief! Dangit, that was one cute outfit!

Oh... and then there was the midnight tournament, using "lit" balls... (and most of us players were also). Ahh... the good ol' days.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Bliss said:

So... not a fan of the wonderful Payne Stewart, I take it? (If I knew how to post internet photos here, I would... there are several of Payne which are most definitely NOT boring. He was like the Met Gala for golf.)

I'll help. He certainly made many interesting fashion choices. He stood out on the links, that's for sure! (I'd  grabbed 4 photos, but the first two hit the max MB limit. There are plenty of others out there for anyone interested.)

Screenshot_20220422-171158_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220422-171122_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't think Benson ever identified what state it was set in.  It was a spin-off of Soap, which was set in Connecticut, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Benson took place in the same state.

Yeah I guess they never specify which state. For some reason I got Corrado stuck in my head as the location 

RE: Benson. 

I did a little searching online. As @MrAtozmentioned, the series was a spin-off from Soap, which was set in Connecticut. While I couldn't find any confirmation that Benson was set in Colorado, there were mentions that the character of Benson was "sent out West" to work for the Governor, so "out West" from Connecticut, certainly makes Colorado a plausible location. 

• Love 1

Not a super great game tonight; only ran Firsts, got four each in three J! categories but missed 2-3 in everything else. Apparently I used up all my golf knowledge yesterday because I couldn't come up with duffer.

But I got all the DDs and seven of the 13 TSes - Shelly Long, Moonstone (which I got from the Wilkie Collins mention in the clue, not the picture), wig (what else is one likely wear on their head besides a hat, that would have an old-timey job name?), SCUBA, appendectomy, St. Petersburg, and Lamentations (DD). (There were 8 in J! and 5 in DJ, including the missed DD.)

FJ was an instaget, giving me 3/5 for the week.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

While I couldn't find any confirmation that Benson was set in Colorado, there were mentions that the character of Benson was "sent out West" to work for the Governor, so "out West" from Connecticut, certainly makes Colorado a plausible location. 

I also went looking and found this https://ideas.fandom.com/wiki/Benson_(TV_series)

site that said: "Although the state of which Gatling was governor remained unidentified throughout the series, Soap was situated in Connecticut, and the seal of the state of New York is visible when Benson wins the lieutenant governorship.[3]"

got: FJ and ts's of Big River, Big Dipper, Lamentations, appendectomy, Shelley Long, wigs, Moonstone, Rodent, for Mascarpone I said that cheese that they're always using on GBBO

Just saw the Air Disasters episode about Payne Stewart.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I remember hearing about the finding of remains under the car park, so FJ was pretty much an instaget for me tonight.  At least I finished the week strong.

I also got the TS of kachina, Shelley Long, moonstone, SCUBA, -40, and appendectomy.

• Love 6

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of kachina, -40, rodent, Shelly Long, moonstone (just read the book), wigs, scuba diving, appendectomy and Lamentations.

I go the entire categories of equal and '80s TV right and cheese and movie melodies wrong.  I actually did really well in the first round.  Too bad I tanked in the second. I had a bad feeling when I saw the categories.  I only missed on in french words, for whatever that's worth.

• Love 2

J! is preempted by basketball here, so I just checked the archive.  Thankfully, I didn't need to see the photos in any of the clues that had them.

Did anyone else say papier-mâché like George's pretentious girlfriend on Seinfeld?

I was a bit surprised no one thought a vole might be a rodent, but they clearly all got caught up on the -ivore part of the clue rather than focusing on what it wanted, "this order", to guess rodentia.

I also think they didn't know/forgot scuba is an acronym (easy to do, since it generally isn't written as SCUBA [self-contained underwater breathing apparatus ... which I learned back in the '80s on Family Ties and it has stuck in my brain ever since]) for that one to be a TS.

I missed three crossword clues, so didn't have a good first round, but other than that I would have; I only ran Constitution, but got all but one in the rest.  I did very well in DJ, running half the categories, getting all but one in two more, and missing two in firsts.

For FJ, Richard sprang to mind right away, but I had no idea if that was right, or, if so, which Richard.  I didn't even bother guessing, which was silly.

I ran Crossword Clues and 80's TV. I squealed when the A-Team clue came up it's my guilty pleasure show. Mattea is the most successful Canadian contestant. I follow Jeopardy on Twitter and Mattea is well-liked by the other contestants.

• Love 4

Any Star Trek movie fans in the crowd? The $400 clue in the category Firsts was "In 1960 the U.S. launched the U.S.S. Enterprise, the first of these big boats that was nuclear powered".

My response was automatically "What are the nuclear wessels?"

Only me? I'll show myself out....

• LOL 16

I wonder if anyone else noticed this tonight:  

I have seen that Mattea has a tattoo on her forearm, but tonight I got a clearer view.  It appeared to be a cockroach?  If I am correct I guess it is a reference to her name, but I’m not sure I saw correctly.

7 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I have seen that Mattea has a tattoo on her forearm, but tonight I got a clearer view.  It appeared to be a cockroach?  If I am correct I guess it is a reference to her name, but I’m not sure I saw correctly.

This was discussed several episodes ago when it first became visible; it's a scorpion, and apparently Scorpio is her astrological sign.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Did anyone else say papier-mâché like George's pretentious girlfriend on Seinfeld?

Yes!

I was a bit surprised no one thought a vole might be a rodent, but they clearly all got caught up on the -ivore part of the clue rather than focusing on what it wanted, "this order", to guess rodentia.

That was my problem, too.  Too caught up in trying to figure out which -ivore it was.

I also think they didn't know/forgot scuba is an acronym (easy to do, since it generally isn't written as SCUBA [self-contained underwater breathing apparatus ... which I learned back in the '80s on Family Ties and it has stuck in my brain ever since]) for that one to be a TS.

Invented by Magellan!

5 hours ago, j5cochran said:

My response was automatically "What are the nuclear wessels?"

I cannot even say "nuclear vessels" normally anymore.  It always comes out as "nuclear wessels" and sometimes I get the strangest looks....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Fairly average night for me. I came up with Shelly Long, wigs, appendectomy, marscapone, and Confederacy do Dunces. FJ was an instaget. I saw a show about how they found him and what they did to identify his remains. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also think they didn't know/forgot scuba is an acronym (easy to do, since it generally isn't written as SCUBA [self-contained underwater breathing apparatus

I kept yelling RODENT at the TV, but they didn't hear me.

I zeroed in on the "acro"" part and guessed climbing. I knew the expanded version of SCUBA due to a documentary on Jacques Cousteau, but missed the "nymic" part of the clue.

• Love 5

So many ts's.  I did get Shelley Long, Moonstone, wigs, duffer, SCUBA, -40, appendectomy, and the missed DD of Lamentations even though I shouted it at her.

FJ was an instaget.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I saw a show about how they found him and what they did to identify his remains. 

Did they do a family tree to show how they found the living descendants?

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Trey said:

So many ts's.  I did get Shelley Long, Moonstone, wigs, duffer, SCUBA, -40, appendectomy, and the missed DD of Lamentations even though I shouted it at her.

FJ was an instaget.

They did mitochondrial DNA tracing from Richard's sister Anne of York.  

genghis khan was a good guess though. If you didnt know. He has millions of living relatives. 

Edited to add :  reading more about it the relatives used  weren't necessarily in the same area. Erased that. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2

Quibble on the "first nuclear wessel" clue: In the Navy, a boat is either a vessel small enough to be carried aboard a larger vessel (the larger vessel is a ship), or (for historical reasons) a submarine.  An aircraft carrier is a ship, not a boat.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I kept yelling RODENT at the TV, but they didn't hear me.

Me too!

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Incorrect. It's mascarpone.

lol, the GBBO forum is always full of people lamenting the pronunciation of various bakers on this word, probably why I yelled, that one on GBBO as my answer.

I might have come up with Confederacy of Dunces but I never would have come up with Ignatius J. Reilly.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

This was discussed several episodes ago when it first became visible; it's a scorpion, and apparently Scorpio is her astrological sign.

The constellation is also on her earrings. She has said on Twitter that she was going to change them out but now it's a 'luck' superstition so she's staying with them.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

For FJ, Richard sprang to mind right away, but I had no idea if that was right, or, if so, which Richard.  I didn't even bother guessing, which was silly.

It's usually either The Lionheart, or III. I don't think I know anything about II? (they had a Lionheart clue recently didn't they?)

found it, April 19 show, April Fools category: While besieging a castle in 1199, this "Lionheart" failed to wear his mail; he died in April after being struck by an arrow

Edited by dgpolo
to add info
  • Love 4
On 4/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Even after watching all of DS9, I still think of him as the original Father Mulcahy (in the movie M*A*S*H)

I still have the biggest crush on Odo.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I might have come up with Confederacy of Dunces but I never would have come up with Ignatius J. Reilly.

That's what happened to me on that clue.  I knew the book, but I could not think of Ignatius J. Reilly for anything.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Incorrect. It's mascarpone.

Thank you for the correction. 

3 hours ago, Trey said:

FJ was an instaget.

I apologize. I don’t really remember. It just stuck with me because I never thought a King would be buried so unceremoniously in an unmarked grave. 

• Love 3

I often wondered when I read on here, 'I'm out until (particular host/contestant) is gone' whether that was just a comment, or if people were actually skipping Jeopardy for a period of time.  I am about to find out because I cannot watch another day of the ridiculous arm flapping and stupid chatty comments about how much the wager will be, why it will be that amount, and whether or not it turned out to be the right move.  Not to mention the 'could it be?' or 'I don't know, maybe?' comments in place of 'what is' when she's rung in but doesn't know the answer.  Just when Mattea seems to lean into the game and stop with her foolishness, she gets another DD and it starts all over again.  I haven't watched the last few Final Jeopardys and actually turned the channel mid-Double Jeopardy yesterday.  I'll come back here daily to find out if she won but I have lost the will to sit through another day of her.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I'll come back here daily to find out if she won

Save some time and go to www.thejeopardyfan.com after 12:30 p.m. central time. Andy posts that day's results plus the FJ clue/answer as well as other interesting tidbits about that day's game. You'll be caught up in no time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Not to mention the 'could it be?' or 'I don't know, maybe?' comments in place of 'what is' when she's rung in but doesn't know the answer.

If nothing else, I'd love to see her start getting ruled incorrect when inserting her little asides into the response.  "Actually, the answer is not 'Hamletno'."  I know it wouldn't have mattered in the end, but maybe it'd get her to stop doing it.

• Love 6

It bugs me in general when contestants half heartedly answer with the maybe, could be sort of tone.  Not just her any of them. 

She does it a lot though. Once or twice ok. It happens but consistently?   Just answer. It's right or wrong. Your tone and wording about how confident you are dont change your being correct or not. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 5

It bugs me in general when contestants half heartedly answer with the maybe, could be sort of tone.  Not just her any of them. 

She does it a lot though. Once or twice ok. It happens but consistently?   Just answer. It's right or wrong. Your tone and wording about how confident you are dont change your being correct or not. 

For Mattea, her questioning tone, hand waving, and under-wagering-with-commentary, are all part of her winning formula. I would wager my entire retirement fund that if someone convinced her to stop doing those things, she would never win another game (as explained much better below by @Bastet).

• Dear Mattea,
    I'm rooting for you. Feel free to continue to quizzically hand flap and audibly self-doubt your wagers. This is Jeopardy!, not a talent show or beauty pageant. You be you.
    Sincerely, shapeshifter

And I really, really appreciate that Mattea starts at the top of the categories.
(Sorry, Matt Amodio. You know you're still my favorite internet godson.)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 17
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

For Mattea, her questioning tone, hand waving, and under-wagering-with-commentary, are all part of her winning formula. I would wager my entire retirement fund that if someone convinced her to stop doing those things, she would never win another game. 
So:

• Dear Mattea,
    I'm rooting for you. Feel free to continue to quizzically hand flap and audibly self-doubt your wagers. This is Jeopardy!, not a talent show or beauty pageant. You be you.
    Sincerely, shapeshifter

And I really, really appreciate that Mattea starts at the top of the categories.
(Sorry, Matt Amodio. You know you're still my favorite internet godson.)

Whether it helps her win or not, I still find it annoying.  

And as I stated not just her but all contestants 

Also i really don't think any of those things but under bidding and being consetvative in her wagers help her win.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Dear Mattea,
Sincerely, shapeshifter

She said on Twitter that she did the same things during her audition and the producers had no problems with it so why change. Also that losing money makes her feel bad, so if her wagering is keeping her in the right frame of mind to keep going then that is what she should do.

• Love 12

Also i really don't think any of those things but under bidding and being consetvative in her wagers help her win.  

It's not about her hand gestures and chatter helping her win, it's that they're part of who she is, so she'd have to concentrate on not doing those things* -- with part of her focus diverted from the game to her mannerisms, instead of just acting naturally, she wouldn't do as well. 

(*If she cared in the first place that some watching at home are irritated by them, which I hope she does not.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13