Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

If anyone else wondered about the Grand Duke's Birthday, that holiday was fixed based on the Grand Duchess Charlotte's birthday, January 23rd.  It was preferred that the holiday be in good weather, so it was moved six months later, and has stayed there.  The current Grand Duke is Charlotte's grandson, born April 16th.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1

I was oddly entertained by the alliteration of Jackie, Jennie, and John.  It would have been even better if he was Johnnie.

Holy cow, they had a lot of TS!  I obviously can't check the archive, but there were at least a dozen, maybe more like 15.  Sororities & fraternities surprised me.  So did "caught with your pants down" and food a bit (that last one one stumped me, too).

I did just okay in the first round.  I only ran world and will, missing two each in shows and fans and one each in the others.  In DJ, I only ran idioms, but I still did well for a DJ round (especially one including a Significant Others category, and thank you, last night's Oscars, for giving me two of them [Kirsten Dunst and Javier Bardem]), missing eight.  And FJ was an instaget, so overall a good game for me.

On a shallow note, I like Jackie's wardrobe.  I generally don't pay attention to what people are wearing, but she's had several colors and cuts I've taken notice of.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Holy cow, they had a lot of TS!  I obviously can't check the archive, but

Archive is back up.
There were 5 TSs in the Jeopardy! round and 10 in Double J.
(I only knew Ecuador and "caught with your pants down.")

20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

On a shallow note, I like Jackie's wardrobe. 

I floved Jackie's dress! It looked couture-inspired!
I don't see a good view of it, but here's this:

image.png.1b7a915c37872fa472334ce23cb1630c.png

1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Jackie is totally Holzhauering it!

I wondered if Jackie studied Matt Amodio's strategy.
Well, not the "What's..." for everything, but going for the bottom row first and then hunting for the DD in the first round and doing the TDD with it.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Not for me

Nor for me; of course I tried before posting that I can't access it, and I'm still getting the same error message I've been getting since I first tried to do so last night.

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Not for me... "www.j-archive.com is currently unable to handle this request." :(

Maybe clear your cache?
Or, if that sounds too drastic for an experiment, try opening j-archive in a new private window?

• Love 1

I’m in Silicon Valley area of California.  Our broadcast went straight from round one to final jeopardy - they skipped double jeopardy, but after the show ended, it went back to the last 8 or so clues of double jeopardy and final jeopardy again.  I don’t like Jackie’s strategy…please stop it.  She also has such a pissy expression on her face.  Hoping she doesn’t last long…

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Chellichik said:

I I don’t like Jackie’s strategy…please stop it.  She also has such a pissy expression on her face.  Hoping she doesn’t last long…

I'm not crazy about it either, but it seems to be here to stay.

She was pretty impressive last night, but that may have been due to weak opponents, since there were a bunch of TS's. I don't mind her expression. She reminds me a bit of a younger Frances McDormand.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Her "All My Children" story was delightfully unexpected too.  AMC was my mother's soap: now she has to subsist on "General Hospital."

Well why not - most of the AMC actors are now on GH!  I don't watch it (I did, years ago), but it's on in the waiting room at work - I have to laugh at Michael E. Knight's "Silver Fox" hair now, considering how his "Tad" used to rag on David Canary's "Adam" for being an old man! 

So, John's family does the pre-call on FJ?  Wonder if they're on this forum?  I did it last night, and then 2nd-guessed myself thinking, no, too obvious!  And went with Katherine from Taming of the Shrew.  Shoulda trusted my gut and stayed with Lady M.

• Love 1

Did I hear something incorrectly? I heard an answer in the Jeopardy round as “Lozoto” and then when I heard it pronounced by Mayim it sounded more like Losoto. 

I got contact sheet, food, Aswan, and drag racing. I knew the answer to FJ was Macbeth, but I couldn’t get it out in time for it to count. 

• Love 1

Watching Ken Jennings and mayim host you'd never guess she is the one who has spent all her life in acting and on camera.  She seems so wooden compared to him. And I still hate her clothes.  That dress looked like something a teenager would wear

Oh well she is fine, Ken is just better. 

And a side note the first episode if 24 is awesome. I still Remember watching it the first time sndcwas definitely different than anything on TV, just sucked you in. 

And coincidentally for FJ last night many fans compared president Palmers wife to lady Macbeth. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And a side note the first episode if 24 is awesome. I still Remember watching it the first time sndcwas definitely different than anything on TV, just sucked you in. 

My ex got me into 24 and we watched the first four seasons on DVD, then season five in real time. We broke up before season six, and I started to watch it, and realized it wasn't much fun by myself...so that was the end of that.

31 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did I hear something incorrectly? I heard an answer in the Jeopardy round as “Lozoto” and then when I heard it pronounced by Mayim it sounded more like Losoto. 

I think the player pronounced it more or less phonetically, and Mayim said it more like it's supposed to be pronounced (luh-soo-too, as I've always heard it).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

It was Lesotho, the country which is completely surrounded by South Africa.  The contestant pronounced it as it's spelled.  Mayim pronounced it "luh-SOO-too," which is the correct pronunciation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm not crazy about it either, but it seems to be here to stay.

She was pretty impressive last night, but that may have been due to weak opponents, since there were a bunch of TS's. I don't mind her expression. She reminds me a bit of a younger Frances McDormand.

She looks like a dark haired Anne Coulter to me & I just can't get that out of my mind whenever I see her.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I blame Putin.

Sure, I'll go with that. Matter of fact, I think I'll blame everything on him. Saying his name viciously feels pretty good. 

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My sister tried to bring a sword home from Spain (in the 70s), but it was confiscated at security in Madrid.  They told her they'd check it for her, but she never saw it again.  It wouldn't fit in her checked bag.

This, and the fact that I hate carrying awkward stuff when I travel, is why I often ship things home.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

and monkeys (assuming they would accept it without the "Howler").

Well, they probably wouldn't accept my last second guess "Screaming Monkeys" (i was oh so close)

12 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Jackie is totally Holzhauering it!

Funny, I didn't really mind that too much with James, but I don't really like it with other players. Guess I've gotten used to the more or less normal way of doing it.

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe clear your cache?
Or, if that sounds too drastic for an experiment, try opening j-archive in a new private window?

Clearing my cache didn't help (but thanks for the reminder, I always forget that step).

I got FJ at the last second (house rules). Did okay on most of the game, but didn't run anything.

2 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

She looks like a dark haired Anne Coulter to me & I just can't get that out of my mind whenever I see her.

Aw man, why'd you have to put that in my head...LOL

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Clearing my cache didn't help (but thanks for the reminder, I always forget that step).

It's working for me now (though a little slow to load).

• Love 2

Last night's FJ was one of those where not knowing the topic all that well may have been an advantage. I'm no Shakespeare expert, so thought I didn't have much of a shot, when I saw the category. But this was obviously a notorious character, and when I hear notorious female Shakespeare character, my first thought is Lady Macbeth. I might have tried to parse it through further if I had an expansive knowledge of the topic, but since I don't, I stuck with it. 

I didn't notice this, but I'm sure I will tonight, now that it's been pointed out! 😕

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Watching Ken Jennings and mayim host you'd never guess she is the one who has spent all her life in acting and on camera.  She seems so wooden compared to him. And I still hate her clothes.  That dress looked like something a teenager would wear

Maybe Mayim is one of those people who do well with a script but feel uncomfortable improvising banter.  Ken was awkward at first, too, but seems to have really relaxed in his last appearance.  Last week he was funny and spontaneous.  He laughed with, not at, the contestants' comments.  I don't really like that he bonds with the long term champions.  It's only then that I find him a bit of a snob with the challengers.  

I really don't like hunting for the DDs and starting at the bottom.  Yesterday, a  lot of those 1000 clues were missed by everyone.  It changes the rhythm of the game and plays mind-games with the challengers.  I guess I prefer a more old-fashioned way to annihilate the opponents.  Sure it works; I just don't enjoy watching it.  

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

I really don't like hunting for the DDs and starting at the bottom.  Yesterday, a  lot of those 1000 clues were missed by everyone.  It changes the rhythm of the game and plays mind-games with the challengers.  I guess I prefer a more old-fashioned way to annihilate the opponents.  Sure it works; I just don't enjoy watching it.  

And sometimes it's the top clue that really gives them the idea of what the category is going for; if they started there they might not have missed the clues lower down. (I don't remember if that would apply to anything last night, though.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight, although it was not one of my pre-guesses.  Obviously, I identify with end guy's story, as I suspect many of us here do!

I should've gotten FJ, but said Ophelia instead.  Wrong crazy woman.

I usually watch Jeopardy on delay, so I ff through the stories.

I hate when they don't clear the boards.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My sister tried to bring a sword home from Spain (in the 70s), but it was confiscated at security in Madrid.  They told her they'd check it for her, but she never saw it again.  It wouldn't fit in her checked bag.

They put my sword in a shipping box at the Paris airport.  And made me take the letter opener I'd purchased out of my carry on bag and put it in with the sword.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not sure if I missed any TSes but I got fraternity/sorority, food, pants down, Luxembourg, drag racing, and monkeys (assuming they would accept it without the "Howler"). 

I did get all of those (including the "howler" part), plus Heathrow and Ecuador.  I said soundstage instead of silent movie set - think they'd have accepted that?

I knew Aswan Dam but Lake Nasser got stuck in the way.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I said soundstage instead of silent movie set - think they'd have accepted that?

I don't think so...the clue was "It sounds odd, but these workplaces where John Gilbert & Fatty Arbuckle thrived were very noisy, as there was no need for quiet"; doesn't seem to apply to a generic soundstage, which might need quiet sometimes.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

If anyone else wondered about the Grand Duke's Birthday, that holiday was fixed based on the Grand Duchess Charlotte's birthday, January 23rd.  It was preferred that the holiday be in good weather, so it was moved six months later, and has stayed there.  The current Grand Duke is Charlotte's grandson, born April 16th.

And here I was, thinking they chose it because it's my birthday, lol.

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I don't think so...the clue was "It sounds odd, but these workplaces where John Gilbert & Fatty Arbuckle thrived were very noisy, as there was no need for quiet"; doesn't seem to apply to a generic soundstage, which might need quiet sometimes.

I was going for a "it sounds odd to call something where you film silent movies a soundstage" angle, but what you say makes sense.  I wouldn't have argued it with the judges.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Jackie is something else.  I like a contestant who is willing to bet on themselves even when they're not under the gun.  I assume she wasn't very confident in Egypt or her second wager might have been as high as her first and third.  Her "All My Children" story was delightfully unexpected too.  AMC was my mother's soap: now she has to subsist on "General Hospital."

There seem to be clues about William & Mary, the monarchs or the institution, fairly regularly, and today we had Williamsburg!  It could well be a sort of confirmation bias on my part, because I take special notice of each such clue and send it to my group of friends who attended W&M, but I sometimes wonder whether someone on the writing staff went there too.

I too liked the AMC story - over the years I have watched almost all the soaps but the ABC ones were always faves - I would have been thrilled with those presents.  During visits to NYC, I passed by the ABC studios several times on my way to other destinations and was always thrilled to see familiar faces - I spoke to a few and they were usually very gracious. 

As a W&M alum, I always perk up at mentions of the school or the Burg so I let out a whoop at last night's mention.  I have wondered if it comes up more than other schools but I don't pay attention enough to know. 

• Love 3

Once I was Lady Macbeth for Halloween, but I introduced myself as Lady Scottishplay, so as not to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing. [/WestWing]

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I usually watch Jeopardy on delay, so I ff through the stories.

I did get FJ but both of them came to mind, I went with Lady Macbeth because I felt the quote would have been -kinder?- somehow, if it was Ophelia.

Me too.

I did get howler monkeys mostly because the only season of Survivor I ever watched had them screeching (howling!) all the time.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Driad said:

Once I was Lady Macbeth for Halloween, but I introduced myself as Lady Scottishplay, so as not to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing. [/WestWing]

I dressed as Lady MacBeth for a Ren Faire at my kids' school - complete with "bloody" hands.  Didn't think of calling myself Lady Scottishplay!

I always wonder, when MacBeth comes up on Jeopardy, whether the contestant is tempting bad luck by saying the name!  After all, the studio is a kind of theater, and they're not actually performing in the play.

About Jackie - she does have a case of RBF, but she's damn smart and actually seems pretty nice (and I gotta love a fellow AMC fan!)

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 6

I was so disappointed only Jackie got Josephine Baker!  She was such a remarkable person, not only a captivating performer but also a civil rights activist and an operative of the French Resistance.  I choose to believe the others knew her story but not that she had been inducted into the Panthéon.

1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

I always wonder, when MacBeth comes up on Jeopardy, whether the contestant is tempting bad luck by saying the name!  After all, the studio is a kind of theater, and they're not actually performing in the play.

I wonder that too!  I did a little quick Googling but different sources have different variations.  It's probably safe.  Maybe if I was what Michael Scott would call super-stitious, I would donate the value of that clue to charity or something, and hope the forces involved with the curse took notice.

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And here I was, thinking they chose it because it's my birthday, lol.

That too, of course!  I didn't mention it since I thought it went without saying.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 5

Didn't run anything tonight. Missed only one in most of the first round categories…missed two in every single category in DJ except Fashion...where I missed three.

No FJ but my TSes were Isle of Wight, Will, Rwanda and o'clock.

I'm reading The Dawn of Everything right now! I think this is the first time a question has come up about a book I am actually in the middle of reading.

• Love 3

I didn't get FJ tonight.  I probably should have, but Josephine Baker never occurred to me.

However, I did get the TS/missed DD of Bo Jackson, will, Rwanda, Salieri, o'clock, and Oak Ridge.  Bo Jackson was a guess, but I knew he'd have to come up somewhere in that category.  I was surprised that Salieri was a TS, but I guess it has been a few years since Amadeus was released.  I freely admit that movie is the only reason I've even heard of Salieri.

• Love 4

Joey must be kicking himself for not betting bigger on that Dumbledore DD. He might have stopped the game from being a runaway, though the outcome would have been the same since he missed FJ. I knew it from The Josephine Baker Story, a 1991 TV movie.

• Love 7

Bo Jackson was my pre-guess for the Multi-Sport Athletes category, so I was bummed he was a TS; I guess all those "Bo Knows" commercials were before their time?  The Will TS surprised me, as did Rwanda and Salieri (since "[Person A] is the Salieri to [Person B's] Mozart" is an expression) a bit.

Mayim's reaction to the reluctant way Jackie said "all of it" for her first round DD wager amused me.

I came so close to running the first round, but I could not remember Nasser's name.  (Isle of Wight being a TS gave me time to realize my "Isle of Wright" answer was wrong and correct it.)  I did not come remotely close to running DJ; in fact, I did not run a single category in DJ.  I missed all but Salem in mysteries, and missed two each in Schubert and geography, one each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget, the third in a row this week.  Which means I'll sit here without even a guess for the next two, probably, but it would be fun to wind up with a whole week of them.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My first thought was Lady MacBeth, but then I decided that was too obvious and went with Ophelia. Lesson learned (until next time): stick with your first hunch!

On 3/29/2022 at 11:01 PM, Chellichik said:

I don’t like Jackie’s strategy…please stop it.  She also has such a pissy expression on her face.  Hoping she doesn’t last long…

I don’t like it when contestants skip around the board because it makes it harder for me to play— sometimes I need those first couple of clues to get the gist. 

To me, Jackie just looks uncomfortable in the spotlight. I tag her as an introvert who doesn’t have a lot of experience with public speaking. But while I agree she doesn’t present as the most personable contestant we’ve seen, I have to admire her confidence in betting. Lady’s got guts.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Another Final Jeopardy that seemed so easy to me and yet only the returning champion got it. Like folks, you hear France and black woman, go with Josephine Baker. 

I got it primarily because my mother-in-law saw her live in Paris when she went there as a young woman. Her son, however, did not get it, because that piece of trivia about his mother didn't stick in his mind.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

FJ was an instaget, the third in a row this week.  Which means I'll sit here without even a guess for the next two, probably, but it would be fun to wind up with a whole week of them.

That's the way it tends to happen with me. I know I have at least two this week, maybe more, but I'm not sure because I still can't access J!Archive. ☹️

Edited by Clanstarling

Not watching til Jackie is gone.   I use browser Edge and today there is a "read me"  with the caption "Jeopardy! fans call for Mayim to be ousted" or words to that effect.   It of course was sensationalized.

• Love 3

Since I gave up my satellite dish, I have to rely on other ways to watch J! and I'm about to give up. The only reliable source--in that it posts every day--skips in and out to the point where it's pointless trying to watch it at all.

44 minutes ago, ABay said:

Since I gave up my satellite dish, I have to rely on other ways to watch J! and I'm about to give up. The only reliable source--in that it posts every day--skips in and out to the point where it's pointless trying to watch it at all.

We use a digital antenna for Jeopardy, and a few other standard network shows (mostly sports and PBS). I'm sure the quality varies in areas - and sometimes the local broadcast networks don't have a good feed. But by and large it works for us.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

No FJ but my TSes were Isle of Wight, Will, Rwanda and o'clock.

I missed Rwanda because I didn't realize it had been that many years since the genocide there.  I felt incredibly old when I saw the date.  And when I discovered that Idi Amin, dictator of my answer, Uganda, had been removed from power in 1979.

I really should've gotten that one because I've been watching episodes of the Australian hospital soap All Saints, and one of the characters had been in Rwanda shortly after the genocide.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Paula O. said:

I use browser Edge and today there is a "read me"  with the caption "Jeopardy! fans call for Mayim to be ousted" or words to that effect.   It of course was sensationalized.

I saw one a week or two ago saying something about "extraordinary" news about Ken...it was that he had hosted 100 games...🙄

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I saw one a week or two ago saying something about "extraordinary" news about Ken...it was that he had hosted 100 games...🙄

Headlines these days (primarily click bait headlines) exaggerate things so much, I'm not sure how they can keep ratcheting it up. I looked at one saying someone had "broken their silence" on a topic - and the quote was merely a non-specific brush off. The headlines for Mayim are similarly hysterical (in the original sense, not "funny")

• Love 2