Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Video Campaign

• Start Topic

The designers must create a two-look collection representative of their brand's journey for a marketing campaign video. One designer struggles with exhaustion from the competition while others struggle with the challenges of the assignment, giving the judges one of their toughest decisions of the season.

So I guess the plan is for a very short season this year? Gary better win this whole thing because no one else has created anything close to his level this season. He had one shot with all the hand painting and it was perfection. It's too crafty for my personal style but I know the women who would want his clothes.

• Love 14
(edited)

As much as I love back-to-back episodes, them being only four weeks in and down to so few designers feels way too fast.  My hope is that Project Runway starts back soon and maybe they are pushing out the episodes more quickly to avoid both being on at the same time and thus inviting comparisons.

With that said, in a lot of ways I actually prefer this show.  I like the lack of backstage drama, the seamstresses, the less gimmicky challenges (although they have led to some incredibly iconic designs in the past, I’m just not crazy about the designers fighting each other for garbage or car parts), and the fact that they don’t seem to be restricted by budget, nor as much by time.  No, “Here’s $63.29, now make us a gown that this week’s guest judge Disney star/cartoon character will wear on the red carpet!  You have 6 hours!”

I really don’t love Tim or Heidi, though, and I adore Christian Siriano, so…

Edited by CraftyHazel
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

Lucie was NOT made for this show.  That last-minute seamstress bag again was so stupid.  Buh-bye!

More trashy hooker-wear from Latina Andrea.  No real surprise. But then, Miami would be her ideal market, so maybe she'll become huge.  Crotch-baring skirts are all the rage at the marina this year.  She's out next. 

NY Andrea.  I just can't with her whole concept and "script".  So cliché, so predictable by now.  And she's wearing feathers.  Quelle surprise.  I can't stand those transparent lingerie pants.  But I knew they'd throw her a win bone.  She'll be with Gary in the finale.  

There was a Raf?  I kept forgetting him.  His loss is no big deal.  And he never wore a dress on the show.  

Oh Gary.  I want to know you in real life.  Loved the designs and that live painting concept was everything.  It hit me in the feels too.  No matter what happens at the end, I see him as the winner over anybody else on this season. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Lucie was NOT made for this show.  That last-minute seamstress bag again was so stupid.  Buh-bye!

More trashy hooker-wear from Latina Andrea.  No real surprise. But then, Miami would be her ideal market, so maybe she'll become huge.  Crotch-baring skirts are all the rage at the marina this year.  She's out next. 

NY Andrea.  I just can't with her whole concept and "script".  So cliché, so predictable by now.  And she's wearing feathers.  Quelle surprise.  I can't stand those transparent lingerie pants.  But I knew they'd throw her a win bone.  She'll be with Gary in the finale.  

There was a Raf?  I kept forgetting him.  His loss is no big deal.  And he never wore a dress on the show.  

Oh Gary.  I want to know you in real life.  Loved the designs and that live painting concept was everything.  It hit me in the feels too.  No matter what happens at the end, I see him as the winner over anybody else on this season. 

Oh, me too!  He just seems like such a genuine person.

I am pretty tired of Andrea P’s transparent pants.  Nearly every challenge (I’m probably exaggerating, but I feel like it’s true) she has shown a pair of sheer trousers.  She did in episode one, she did in episode three, she did here in episode five.  Someone should really be calling her out on that.

• Love 3

To me, Gary is in a totally different league than the other designers. I've loved every outfit that he's created. His print-making really adds his own unique stamp (or should I say DNA?) to all of his pieces. He makes historical silhouettes look fresh and interesting. I hope his tendency to get into his own head doesn't derail him, and I hope he wins the whole thing! I was moved by his video campaign, and loved his model's poetry. 

• Love 19

The looks on amazon for this challenge are here (keep scrolling for Angela's. It's a long ways down). I preferred Gary's ready to wear top so was disappointed the judges decided to sell the other one (really not into puffed sleeves) but I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

I loved Gary's vision for the video and that he had no problem trusting the model to write the poem he wanted. 

• Love 9

There was something about Brooklyn Andrea that rubbed me the wrong way this episode. From the early moments when she vowed to "win one" to her inexplicable giggles throughout the episode. But I loved her camel coats!

Miami (?) Andrea got on my nerves as well. I thought her collection looked too familiar and a little class-less.

I think the producers will try to get Gary and the two Andreas in the final.

• Love 3

I loved Gary’s video, it was different,  and that his model read the poem. I’m glad he won again but I liked the pants and top outfit better than the one they chose to sell on Amazon.  I hope he wins this whole season. 

Once again Lucie has issues with the seamstress packet and NY Andrea yelling ‘advice ‘ at her didn’t help. Her designs were basic, again. Au revoir. 
Not a fan of Andrea’s but I did like her coats, hate the see-thru pants, at least they didn’t have hairy feathers on them this time. 
Columbia Andrea is safe again, of course Heidi likes her because she does short and sparkly. Leopard print, short, crop top, so basic. 
Has Raf done a lot of men’s wear and men dresses? He seemed nice but he hadn’t stood out much. 

• Love 4

I can’t believe Colombia Andrea is in the top 3.  There is nothing special about her designs.  Of course, animal print and tight short skirt and Heidi was IN.

I liked Lucie’s coat.  As soon as she said she couldn’t explain the connection between the 2 pieces though - sorry.  That’s not going to work.

• Love 13
17 hours ago, leighdear said:

Oh Gary.  I want to know you in real life.  Loved the designs and that live painting concept was everything.  It hit me in the feels too. 

He really knocked it out of the park with his whole concept and execution. You could instantly "get" what the video was telling us. I love him. 

And "tender" is the word Raf was going for? I saw two sullen, angry young men!

Heidi and Winnie: "The length of this (leopard print) mini is just".....pause....."perfection"   I was thinking "TOO DAMN SHORT"!

• Love 20
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Heidi and Winnie: "The length of this (leopard print) mini is just".....pause....."perfection"   I was thinking "TOO DAMN SHORT"!

Perfect to throw on when you're going to get a pap smear, on your way to the club!

• LOL 15
  • Love 4

I just realized what it is about Gary's clothes that make them so appealing - they truly do work for a wide variety of ages and body types.  I am old and not thin.  I could wear many of Gary's pieces without looking ridiculous yet the young, thin models did not look frumpy or dowdy or any of those other words.  How many women would feel comfortable in Columbian Andrea's clothes?  I get having a target market, but how narrow does that market get before no one buys your stuff?

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I am old and not thin

me too-- and I actually ordered his dress from last week (and considered buying the skirt as well from this week, but restrained myself).

• Love 5

I have no idea how Andrea S is still in the competition.  Wow, did they have to work to justify her staying the entire season.

Loved Gary's outfits and video.  Hopefully he will win but I wonder if his inability to quickly articulate his vision will come back to hurt him.  The judges seems to gobble up the non-speak that Andrea S gives them (i.e. "calm and emotional").

I like other Andrea, but her designs seem repetitive/redundant and I have wondered why the judges haven't mentioned it when they have certainly mentioned it to others.

Oh, and finally realizing that Andrea S lives in Miami makes me wonder why they call this competition a global competition as most of the designers live in the U.S.  They can show me the banners all they want about other cities and countries, but the reality is that they drew their contestants primarily from the U.S. so really isn't any different from, dare I say it, Project Runway.

• Love 6
(edited)

I have to really wonder why Gary lost his shop.  I don't think designers or any type of real artist should have to hype their work so vigorously and publicly like snake-oil salesmen to get recognition for their talent.  Though social media seems now to be the arbiter of ALL things successful, talent will usually win in the end over slick ads and tricky photography.   

Did he have a shady partner or accountant?  Did he have a backer pull out of deals or collaborators that puled the rug out from under him?  I cannot believe it has anything to do with his visions, his designs, his construction or his lack of high speed and bubbly conversation.  I'm really curious, but I don't feel like researching him, it feels intrusive.  Is that weird?  But I am curious....

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

I have to really wonder why Gary lost his shop. 

This is purely speculative:

As someone who can also get "lost" in their head, I wonder if the self-doubt/questions hindered him to some extent?

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I really liked these last two episodes, and some of the digital videos. Gary's video was incredibly moving, but mainly because of the poem. I'm glad that Gary acknowledged the work of the models and the videographer. His design was amazing, and I would totally buy his runway outfit. Andrea's video was also good. I'm happy that she finally won a challenge. Her outfits were not exciting, but I would still buy them, and I like that she designed something different. I also looked at her website, and she has designed some incredibly looking dresses for women of all sizes.  The other Andrea's designs were cute, but I don't know anyone who could wear them. That is not a bad thing, and it is totally clear that she has her own style.

I was surprised that they cut Lucy, but it was probably for the best. I think part of the reason may have been because they felt that she was not keeping up, or comfortable being away from her family.

The next episode looks very interesting. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, leighdear said:

I have to really wonder why Gary lost his shop.  I don't think designers or any type of real artist should have to hype their work so vigorously and publicly like snake-oil salesmen to get recognition for their talent.  Though social media seems now to be the arbiter of ALL things successful, talent will usually win in the end over slick ads and tricky photography.   

Did he have a shady partner or accountant?  Did he have a backer pull out of deals or collaborators that puled the rug out from under him?  I cannot believe it has anything to do with his visions, his designs, his construction or his lack of high speed and bubbly conversation.  I'm really curious, but I don't feel like researching him, it feels intrusive.  Is that weird?  But I am curious....

Without promotion people won't know that a product exists. I hate networking, but it is essential.

I wonder if Gary's lack of confidence played a role in his business closing.

5 hours ago, TimetoShine said:

I’m surprised, but I really like the show.  I don’t like many of the designs, but I enjoy the contestants. 

It is a million times better than last season. Season one focused too much on Heidi and Tim. They also cast people who were already successful, and because of that they were not flexible. The season two cast seems to have the same amount of established designers, but they are more flexible, and are at least pretending that they care about the million dollars. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, nb360 said:

This is purely speculative:

As someone who can also get "lost" in their head, I wonder if the self-doubt/questions hindered him to some extent?

Maybe he's just a shitty businessman. I have not seen anything from him that makes me feel he has the backbone or confidence to get through tough times in a tough industry. 

• Love 3

Wow, only a 6 episode season. I'm sure they knew this was coming down to Gary vs. Andrea from the beginning. Gary's video was the best, and I'm glad Tim didn't scare him off of his idea.  

I still prefer Netflix's Next in Fashion over this show. Hope it has another season soon. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Wow, only a 6 episode season. I'm sure they knew this was coming down to Gary vs. Andrea from the beginning. Gary's video was the best, and I'm glad Tim didn't scare him off of his idea.  

I still prefer Netflix's Next in Fashion over this show. Hope it has another season soon. 

It’s an 8 episode season. Episodes 7 & 8 are next Friday.

• Love 1

I didn't understand really what Gary was talking about until I saw his video - then I got it.  He did have a really good team that helped showcase his vision.  Another great job.

I also really liked Brooklyn Andrea's video.   However, I didn't like the accessible look coat as much as the other coat.  I thought the shorter coat was cute and I didn't like the back detail on the longer one.  Kudus to her for the clear messaging.

This competition is Gary's to lose.  He's easily the most creative of all of them and he still manages to make accessible clothes. 

Raf seems like a nice guy but I can't remember anything he made. 

I am liking this season more than last.  I like seeing not just the designs but a bit more about what else you should know to be in the business.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, raven said:

Raf seems like a nice guy but I can't remember anything he made. 

I read that and thought, "who's Raf". Then vaguely remember there is some guy with orange nail polish from Poland? and, nope, can't remember anything he's made. Though, to be fair, I think of them as: 

• Princess Sparkle who makes club wear
  • Wedding Feather Legs who puts feathery stuff on sheer pants
  • The Dude with the accent who makes clothes but I couldn't describe them with a gun to my head
  • and Gary, who makes all the clothes I want to buy because he uses such unique and interesting material/fabrics with a cool vintage vibe. 

I am biased, obviously, since I love vintage with a twist, which is kind of Gary's thing as well. 

• Love 11

Gary Fan from Epi 1. He is like an adult competing against kids. Not a doctor/psychiatrist nor do I play one on tv, but it wouldn't shock me if some people would think that Gary may fall on the autism spectrum. He's so talented, but seems to struggle with communication issues. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

and Gary, who makes all the clothes I want to buy because he uses such unique and interesting material/fabrics with a cool vintage vibe. 

I think Gary is also memorable because there is a narrative behind his designs, there's a story there that you want to know... even if he is not always (verbally) articulate in telling others.

• Love 4

I loved Gary's clothes and video; the hand drawing was so cool, basically everything about that video was excellent. This contest is Gary's to lose; he's so far ahead of everyone else.

I much preferred NY Andrea's shorter coat but, then again, I'm not fond of these "bathrobe" coats and I am so sick and tired of the transparent trousers; enough already!

I was sad to see Raf go; he seems like a nice guy, so what if I didn't like his clothes? Sometimes you just want to see nice people.

I can't believe Columbian Andrea is in the top three. Every time I see her clothes I morph into Nina "I question your taste level" Garcia.

Ok, I did snicker when they showed us Esther's and Johnny's from last year video campaigns. What, that 'Making the Cut' made them into household names?

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, christie said:

I can't believe Columbian Andrea is in the top three. Every time I see her clothes I morph into Nina "I question your taste level" Garcia.

There were so many episodes where I was sure she was going to get booted.   Are animal print party clothes still a thing?  They looked like 90's tacky 'night at the roxbury' kind of looks.

• Love 16

I think Gary is extremely articulate, just not instantaneously verbose and gregarious.  Not everybody can be that on command.  I'd say he's a thinker, not a babbler.  

The man quoted Macbeth on the runway! 

He is absolutely a storyteller with his clothing, and as such, he's probably so niche and bespoke that the people that can afford his clothing are looking for less class & more trash.  (Hello Andrea!)

I also think some people are using "on the spectrum" as a go-to these days, for people that aren't in any way autistic, just doing their own thing.  I see it the way so many children were instantly labeled "ADHD" a decade ago, when they simply had no discipline or parental guidance.   It's easy to pin labels on people we don't actually know. 

I am NOT saying he's not, I just really dislike seeing people on TV reality shows "diagnosed" by viewers.  I have some characteristics people might view as "on the spectrum", but I am in no way there.  People can easily irritate me, so I don't engage.  Not autism, just a low threshold for annoyance and asshats.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

I think Gary is extremely articulate, just not instantaneously verbose and gregarious.  Not everybody can be that on command.  I'd say he's a thinker, not a babbler.  

He is absolutely a storyteller with his clothing, and as such, he's probably so niche and bespoke that the people that can afford his clothing are looking for less class & more trash.  (Hello Andrea!)

I also think some people are using "on the spectrum" as a go-to these days, for people that aren't in any way autistic, just doing their own thing.  I see it the way so many children were instantly labeled "ADHD" a decade ago, when they simply had no discipline or parental guidance.   It's easy to pin labels on people we don't actually know. 

I am NOT saying he's not, I just really dislike seeing people on TV reality shows "diagnosed" by viewers.  I have some characteristics people might view as "on the spectrum", but I am in no way there.  People can easily irritate me, so I don't engage.  Not autism, just a low threshold for annoyance and asshats.  

LeighDear, I really struggled with my wording on my post, very carefully trying not to offend with my thoughts. Gary is so talented and should win this whole thing. His deep thinking and creative process is a huge part of his charm to me. I'm a SPED teacher (elementary) and know the old saying " If you've seen one person with autism, you've seen one person with autism." You absolutely are correct in your commentary. I love this forum for the intelligent conversations and opinions. And boy, do I agree with you on the ADD/ADHD bandwagon of the recent past. Again, no offense intended to any.  Appreciate your thoughts.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

LeighDear, I really struggled with my wording on my post, very carefully trying not to offend with my thoughts. Gary is so talented and should win this whole thing. His deep thinking and creative process is a huge part of his charm to me. I'm a SPED teacher (elementary) and know the old saying " If you've seen one person with autism, you've seen one person with autism." You absolutely are correct in your commentary. I love this forum for the intelligent conversations and opinions. And boy, do I agree with you on the ADD/ADHD bandwagon of the recent past. Again, no offense intended to any.  Appreciate your thoughts.

I wasn't offended by what you wrote at all!  You were very specific in saying you wouldn't be shocked by OTHER people thinking he was on the spectrum, but you certainly didn't "diagnose" Gary. 

You have a unique perspective in your work with kids and I respect that immensely!  I hope I didn't sound accusatory towards you, because that wasn't my intent at all.  

We do have some great exchanges here, where people can respectfully give their views.  And I think we all end up learning from each other in these instances.  

• Love 4
On 7/31/2021 at 3:06 PM, seacliffsal said:

Oh, and finally realizing that Andrea S lives in Miami makes me wonder why they call this competition a global competition as most of the designers live in the U.S.  They can show me the banners all they want about other cities and countries, but the reality is that they drew their contestants primarily from the U.S. so really isn't any different from, dare I say it, Project Runway.

I think Covid prevented contestants from other countries from traveling or just made it too difficult. 

• Love 5
On 8/1/2021 at 11:05 PM, jacksgirl said:

Gary Fan from Epi 1. He is like an adult competing against kids. Not a doctor/psychiatrist nor do I play one on tv, but it wouldn't shock me if some people would think that Gary may fall on the autism spectrum. He's so talented, but seems to struggle with communication issues. 

On 8/2/2021 at 3:31 PM, leighdear said:

No idea whether Gary is autistic or not, but as an autistic viewer, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Loved his concept, but was so concerned he wouldn’t be able to bring it to fruition. Was so pleased to see he was able to bring everything together. Thought it was executed really well. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

Loved his concept, but was so concerned he wouldn’t be able to bring it to fruition.

What I really liked about Gary this ep was that he had this crazy idea, he realized the crazy idea might not work and rather than either doing it anyway because he was too stuck on the idea or freaking out and self destructing because he didn't have time to do something else, he actually thought about another way to do his crazy idea and without a big kerfuffle, he went and got it done. I also love that he trusted his model enough to write that poem rather than insisting that this is his vision and had to be his words. 

It showed that he'd be a great leader under stress as well as a great collaborator since he isn't so completely stuck on his way or the highway. He's the best designer they've had over both seasons IMO.

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

What I really liked about Gary this ep was that he had this crazy idea, he realized the crazy idea might not work and rather than either doing it anyway because he was too stuck on the idea or freaking out and self destructing because he didn't have time to do something else, he actually thought about another way to do his crazy idea and without a big kerfuffle, he went and got it done. I also love that he trusted his model enough to write that poem rather than insisting that this is his vision and had to be his words. 

It showed that he'd be a great leader under stress as well as a great collaborator since he isn't so completely stuck on his way or the highway. He's the best designer they've had over both seasons IMO.

One hundred percent. I love that he didn't force his words on the model, and ended up with a much more authentic result because of it. And by doing the painting himself on the outfit rather than have the models paint each other, he retained that level of control necessary to really take ownership of his garments, and that artistry. It was a great combination of leadership and collaboration. 

• Love 8
On 8/3/2021 at 2:57 AM, NoThyme said:

I think Covid prevented contestants from other countries from traveling or just made it too difficult. 

Lucie came from Paris, Raf came from Poland, and Josh came from London.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, christie said:

I definitely got the impression that he no longer lives in Poland.

yeah they had a whole segment about him moving to NYC, and how he could finally really "come out" then.

• Love 1

I loved Gary's video, to me it was the only one that nailed it. I was only half paying attention so I assumed he wrote the poem and it made more sense that his model did! As soon as the words came on about her hair defying gravity, I thought wow it's unexpected that this white guy could write about that perspective. And indeed he didn't! I thought ANNdrea's message about bonding over fashion was cheesy but they had so little time to do all this I don't want to pick too hard. The others...well, let's not.

I can see where Gary would struggle to have a profitable studio. From what we've seen of his vision, it relies on complex construction, rare textiles, and hand craft. There's a place for his kind of conceptual, narrative clothing -- at a very high price point -- but it's not easy to scale. And I can see him focusing on the artistic vision first, business second, which really bites you cost-wise. I read an interview with chef Eric Ripert in which he says his business manager deserves all of the credit, that Le Bernardin is only viable because of her ability to control costs and keep the operation running smoothly while allowing him creative freedom. Without that person, a creative genius can have a very hard time being profitable.

How is AnDRAYa in the final 3?!

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, snarktini said:

I can see where Gary would struggle to have a profitable studio. From what we've seen of his vision, it relies on complex construction, rare textiles, and hand craft. There's a place for his kind of conceptual, narrative clothing -- at a very high price point -- but it's not easy to scale

That's very true. What he excels at doesn't lend itself well to mass production. I do hope that he can build a good, steady clientele who can afford to commission bespoke pieces from him since I think that is where he shines. I can see someone bringing him an old blanket or bedspread or other random materials that have special meaning to them and him turning it into a great piece of clothing. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, snarktini said:

I thought ANNdrea's message about bonding over fashion was cheesy but they had so little time to do all this I don't want to pick too hard

I liked her message, especially since women lifting each other up isn't something we see often in pop culture (which Andrea mentioned). Most movies or tv shows would either never have two women interacting or they'd be jealous or catty. But that's not what I experience in real life. I love the feeling when another woman compliments what I'm wearing. Or the look on her face when I saw something nice about her outfit. Without seeing the entire video, I'm not sure how well Andrea captured that but the concept worked for me.

• Love 5

There are so many ways a business can go wrong, even with a super product. I agree that an ideal situation for Gary would have him partnered up with a savvy business partner who handles the practical stuff and lets him be creative. Gary is an artist, a real artist. A lot of truly artistic people are not great at organization, planning, verbal communication. I used to work with artists for years and it took me a long time to realize that. Also a great way to learn is to try and fail and then get better. Maybe Gary's first business was his learning experience. I hope so. 

I don't think any of these people (besides Gary) deserves to be in a clothing design competition; I don't know why the producers chose them, and I'm stunned that most of these people have been trying to make a living designing clothes. The majority of what we're seeing is ho-hum routine mall stuff, nothing original or inspired, often looking cheap and badly fitted. Miami Andrea's stuff is what used to be sold in the back pages of cheesy magazines. I can't believe we're supposed to take her seriously.

I feel like the judging is unhinged from reality. So often I hear what they're saying and blurt out to my cats WTF?? That camel bathrobe coat was super cool cuz it had a racing stripe? Huh?

Tim seems to be a robot programmed with sound bites, push a button on your remote and he'll give one of his Tim comments. They all seem interchangeable. Heidi too. All their patter feels canned and insincere. It's like they're all pretending. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, lidarose9 said:

Tim seems to be a robot programmed with sound bites, push a button on your remote and he'll give one of his Tim comments. They all seem interchangeable. Heidi too. All their patter feels canned and insincere. It's like they're all pretending. 

Nothing will ever be close to the most creative seasons of "Project Runway".  They are trying to recapture the magic of having an Austin Scarlet, an Uli, a Leanne Marshall, a Rami Kashou or most of all, a Christian Siriano.  Lightning in a bottle, never to be seen again.   Heidi needs to hang up her sparkly minis and Tim needs to retire his platitudes.  None of it really works anymore.  They know it as well as we do.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6