Type keyword(s) to search

Track and Field

• Start Topic

What Carl Lewis said about the men's 4x100 relay.  What an utter embarrassment.  Apparently the favorites on paper (says who?) but the history of the team is abysmal.  How many times do these guys do these handoffs?  I agree with the above, there must not be enough practice and familiarity with each other.  No team chemistry.

I couldn't understand what the shirtless dude was saying to Lewis through his mask and frustrating mumbling.  Seemed like Lewis wasn't interested in hearing more either and just said "ok".

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Yes, they're married.

Of course, right after I posted, she was mentioned in the broadcast on USA network. Shaunae is talking about taking up pent/heptathlon after she's done with the sprints in Tokyo. 

29 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

What Carl Lewis said about the men's 4x100 relay.  What an utter embarrassment.  Apparently the favorites on paper (says who?) but the history of the team is abysmal.  How many times do these guys do these handoffs?  I agree with the above, there must not be enough practice and familiarity with each other.  No team chemistry.

I couldn't understand what the shirtless dude was saying to Lewis through his mask and frustrating mumbling.  Seemed like Lewis wasn't interested in hearing more either and just said "ok".

One of them, very pissed off, said something about the result/results being bullsh*t.  (Not sure if he was talking about their placing or what.)  I understand they were disappointed, but the whole "exit interview" was very unsportsmanlike.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 3

Oh, the American men fucked up in the 4x100 relay?

BMji.gif

I don't know why Ato Boldon and Leigh Diffey were so surprised the American men fucked up again, some more in the 4x100m relay.  I never had the slightest doubt because they always fuck it up at the Olympics, and it's hilarious every. single. time.

I thought Hansle Parchment would win the 110m hurdles.  He looked so good in the semis, and let's just say I don't have much faith in the American men who come into track events as gold-medal favorites.

Also, while I'm very happy in my marriage to Caeleb Dressel, Parchment is beeeeeyooooooooootiful.  As is Kenny Bednarek.

• Love 11

Warner records 63.44 m on his second javelin throw attempt. His lifetime best is 64.67, while his season best is 59.46, so he's delivering in yet another event here. He's going to go over 9000 points at this event.

Mayer gets 73.09 on his second attempt, but he's out of road at this point.

• Love 1

I woke up too late so I missed those Dec Events but it's great that Warner is still cooking. LePage fell off a bit (I wonder if some of it is because of his knee). 

This french guy mayer is adorable.
mais qui!

• Love 1

Great job for Steven Gardiner. I wanted him to win as soon as he came out and, instead of posing and preening, just gave a dorky wave and smile to the camera. He's such an elegant, easy runner.

Also, great for Holly Bradshaw, getting an Olympic medal at her third attempt. The pole vault seem challenging for a lot of the competitors.

13 minutes ago, SeanC said:

The women of the Low Countries own the heptathlon, it seems.

The women of the Low Countries and Britain. KJT's injury marks the first Olympic heptathlon podium without a  British woman since Barcelona. Hopefully she and Niamh Emerson (the latest in the British heptathlete production line) are healthy in time for the packed Worlds, Commonwealth, European Championships summer next year.

Sidenote - it always cracks me up just how completely dead all the heptathletes and decathletes are after middle distance races. It's hard running them as dedicated 800m and 1500m runners, imagine how hard it is when you also need to be a sprinter, jumper and thrower.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, SeanC said:

The women of the Low Countries own the heptathlon, it seems.

Yeah we do 😁 I'm so proud of Anouk and Emma and so happy to see all the hard work from the Dutch track and field federation is paying off with four medals already and potential for more. Thiam is amazing, winning two in a row! 

• Love 1
Just now, AshleyN said:

Wow Damian Warner!

All the decathletes and heptathletes celebrating together at the end was awesome.

yeah it's a small community (of torture LOL). I remember in Rio how everyone was hugging everyone too (even though it wasn't on the same day). 

• Love 1
On 8/3/2021 at 10:50 PM, irisheyes said:

Sydney’s grandma just won the whole Olympics. 

(I’m assuming it’s her grandma. I’ve got my volume turned down.)

If you're talking about the short grey haired woman, that's Sister Percylee, Sydney's high school principal, who can give Sister Jean of Loyola Chicago a run for her money as the cutest nun sports fan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Yes, yes he did.  Very, very, very….good.  Also, his height?  Yum.

mhmmmmmhmm. 
I do wish he wasn't hurt. (I mean Mayer really beasted up and Maloney made his move yesterday), but i think if not for his knee he would have been able to keep up with maloney maybe.

• Love 1

Didn't a US mixed swimming relay team and a men's swimming relay team also come under fire for their strategy/performance?

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

This story about Crouser and his grandpa suddenly made me realize how dusty my office is.

I saw his post event interview where he told the story of his grandpa and showed the sign he wrote for him and . . . yeah.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Souris said:

Apparently the U.S. is good at throwing heavy things. Not so good at handing each other something.

Just the men, the women are usually pretty reliable in the relays. The men relay team appears to just show up and expect medals to get thrown at them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Congratulations Team Canada for the Decathlon gold.  

At least US got a gold in pole vault.  I feel like we're doing unusually well in the field portion of this run.  Multiple medals in pole, shot put and long jump. I'll take it.  The less said about the relay the better.

• Love 3

The Men's 110m hurdles was a great race. The commentator called it during the semi-finals that Holloway comes out strong in the beginning, but loses ground at the end of the race. If competitors can keep him close they can overtake him with the last three hurdles and that's exactly what happened. Parchment was able to overtake him. Honestly I'm surprised Holloway was able to hold onto silver because the field was right on his heels coming to the finish.  Anyway, congrats to him on his silver medal win!

9 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Oh, the American men fucked up in the 4x100 relay?

Embarrassing and disastrous. I don't understand why, after so many ridiculous mishaps over the years, which could be prevented simply by practicing, they don't practice. What's the deal with that?

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, twoods said:

I wonder if it’s because they keep switching out the runners. The commentators said the other countries have four guys that train together so they do well in the relay, but the Americans don’t do that. Oh well.

It's because they barely train for relays.  Switching out runners wouldn't matter if they all trained on baton exchanges, but they hardly bother, and it shows.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Enero said:

Embarrassing and disastrous. I don't understand why, after so many ridiculous mishaps over the years, which could be prevented simply by practicing, they don't practice. What's the deal with that?

Hubris.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

It's because they barely train for relays.  Switching out runners wouldn't matter if they all trained on baton exchanges, but they hardly bother, and it shows.

Exactly.  If you're an elite world class athlete and you're on the relay team, you should be well versed in how to hand off and how to receive a baton.  It shouldn't matter who the person you are passing to or receiving from is.  There shouldn't be any "oh but he's short so I have to reach lower" or "oh but he likes to hang on tightly so I really have to make sure I take it and he lets go" or whatever.  They should all be well practiced on exchanges.

Do the track and field athletes not show up until just before the athletics events start?  Or have they been in Tokyo since the start?  What have they been doing during the entire first week of the Olympics?  Are they practicing at all during that week?  Or how about practicing at home?  Surely USA Track and Field has the money.  Once the team is named, how about flying them all to the same place and running through a week of training on relays?

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, healthnut said:

The relay team is just an embarrassment at this point, I realize there was a problem on one of the handoffs but the last guy just got smoked, was this the B team? 

I'd never heard of the last guy. The other 3 were presumably going to race the final. But the screw up happened between 2 and 3,so they were already trailing badly when the 4th guy ran.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, katisha said:

Bronze for Australia! We have never before won a decathlon medal of any colour. Exciting!

I stayed up to watch the 1500m cause I've been eagerly following Ashley's achievement since the Decathlon started and I thought this could be the surprise medal I've been waiting for. While everyone else appeared to be watching the Matildas battle for bronze and the Kookaburras fight for gold, I was eaglery watching the Decathlon's javelin.

I got so nervous in the 1500m I was pacing the loungeroom floor. And when he discovered he got Bronze I may have teared up a bit. I live for these moments.

So imagine my disappointment this morning when the radio news did an Olympic update and only told me the Matildas lost, the Boomers lost and the Kookaburras lost. Where is the celebrating of an Australian first?? Oh that's right, it's just a boring Bronze in an event no one knows about. I shouldn't be suprised cause the news also ignored Tyson Bull's historic achievement in gymnastics but informed me about an American winning Bronze in Gymnastics. OK OK Im getting off my angry soapbox.

And I am so stoked that the Track and Field team finally have a medal to go with their outstanding achievements these Olympics. I cannot think of another Olympics where we have had so many competitors which the finals of events.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, greyhorse said:

305950a5d2980947c310d187b9339075.gif

• LOL 10

You can take a bathroom break in race walking? that's lol kinda awesome. 

I forgot the Canadian who got screwed out of a medal in Rio. i hope he can win one now. They look like they are wadling. not walking. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Evan Dunfee is a big reason why Russia remains banned from global track and field even as its rehabilited itself in other sports. Around 2015 his old blog was posting about how Russian racewalkers were still competing domestically while they were supposed to be suspended for doping violations and posted a bunch of links to pictures and race results that proved it. 

The Russians pulled the pictures and results down, did a little photoshopping and reposted to the site, claiming that it was archive footage from 2012 and therefore the athletes in question were competing pre-ban. 

The problem was, as Duunfee and others on the blog pointed out, was that a lot of the shoes and uniforms the athletes were wearing in the '2012' pictures was not even made available to anyone including sponsored athletes until the very end of 2014 and therefore the dates had to be totally wrong. 

Thrilled to see him come away with a medal- he's one of the best advocates for clean sports athletics has got

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/14/elena-lashmanova-iaaf-investigating-race-ban

• Useful 1
  • Love 6