Type keyword(s) to search

Track and Field

• Start Topic

Jacobs time was a full tenth of a second faster than De Grasse has ever run, so it would have been a huge ask for him to have won gold.

I was about to ask "what happened to Christian Coleman?" then remembered that he's suspended for missing drugs tests. Of course.

We seem to be in an era at the moment where track and field isn't truly dominated by any nation, due to several countries having standout competitors - Karsten Warholm and the Ingebritsens for Norway, the Jamaican 100m women, two or three men and women in the 400m, Noah Lyles and Dina Asher-Smith in the 200m. Much more fun than just seeing the US hoover up every medal on offer.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

An Italian champion? Huh, I never would have expected that, but that was a fast final and Jacobs won it on merit.

by way of Jamaica 
Texas (but lived in Italy since 2. CBC never said that and I swear they said Jamaica, so i am correcting)

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

According to his wiki, he was born in El Paso but has lived in Italy with his mother since he was two.

well CBC betrayed me. 
Thanks for that correct!

I love this high jump story:

Barshim and Tamberi did not miss any jumps and cleared 2.37 meters. They both did not get over the 2.39-meter mark after three respective attempts. The official asked them whether they wanted to go forward with a jump-off to decide who would win but Barshim asked whether they could share the gold. Once the official nodded, Tamberi leaped into Barshim's arms to celebrate.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/08/01/barshim-tamberi-share-high-jump-gold-medal-tokyo-2020

• Love 20

It actually seems fitting that the first post-Bolt Olympic 100m was kind of wild and unpredictable. This is the first time in a long time that gold has been up for grabs and everyone knows it, which I imagine leads to both a little extra motivation AND a little more pressure. Something similar happened in women's tennis when Serena Williams was no longer able to dominate the majors the way she had previously, and I wouldn't be surprised if you see it in the men's game when the Big 3 finally move on.

De Grasse looked to have a rough start (I think he was dead last at one point) so kudos to him for pulling it together enough on the back half to win another medal and set a new PB!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, twoods said:

Here is an article about their friendship and how Barshim helped Tamberi after his injury. Wonderful sportsmanship in the high jump community. 

What a great story! And the footage of Tamberi and Barshim celebrating after their joint gold cheered me up so much whilst in lockdown in Brisbane, especially Tamberi. I love how out there the Italians are with their emotions!

Edited by katisha
  • Love 9

Sifan, girl, I didn't need that scare! That said, she's really good. I mean falling with 400m to go and then still winning your heat is amazing.

Is she crazy for trying the 1500, 5k, and 10k? I worry lol.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Sifan, girl, I didn't need that scare! That said, she's really good. I mean falling with 400m to go and then still winning your heat is amazing.

I'll say. I can't believe what I just saw. Mad respect.

• Love 1

I don't know where to find this out, but are those people in the stands for track and field? I thought no spectators were going to be allowed but the stands look pretty full. And remember, I have terrible cataracts and can't see s**t. And one of the US women commented about no crowds. So, I'm a confused old lady.

5 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I don't know where to find this out, but are those people in the stands for track and field? I thought no spectators were going to be allowed but the stands look pretty full. And remember, I have terrible cataracts and can't see s**t. And one of the US women commented about no crowds. So, I'm a confused old lady.

No ones in the stands.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Me too.  I even went back to see if it was old footage, but no.  Even if it was just one standful of people in an entire stadium, there was no distancing.  Makes no sense.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I think, like swimming, other team members are allowed. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

And congrats to Keni Harrison with silver who, despite turning in amazing times at meets that didn't matter so much, is only now getting over a reputation for choking on bigger stages. She's always been so talented and it's really good to see her mind stop getting in the way of her body.  

• Love 8
7 hours ago, friendperidot said:

There are some team members and officials in the stands close to the track. The other thing that's happening in the main stadium is the use of either cardboard cut outs or maybe seat covers in black and white that are irregularly placed which, at least when out of focus, give a bit of an illusion of people in the stands in the background. Or possibly the seats are permanently black and white.

• Love 2

I’ve never watched Track & Field as it is happening, just what they feel like showing on the broadcasts, but I have the ability to stream today and I AM DIZZY.

Being a know-nothing, I am having a hard time keeping track of what I am watching at any given time, heh.

Running in that rain from before would terrify me.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I love Dalilah Muhammad, but the only way Sydney's losing the 400m hurdles is if she trips over one. The OR is gone, probably the WR too.

Maybe Anna Cockrell can bust out a PB and have a podium sweep. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, selkie said:

And congrats to Keni Harrison with silver who, despite turning in amazing times at meets that didn't matter so much, is only now getting over a reputation for choking on bigger stages. She's always been so talented and it's really good to see her mind stop getting in the way of her body.  

She looked great at the start. Her and Camacho were neck and neck but then she looked to have ran out a gas a little bit. I think they said she might’ve hit the 8th hurdle, which could’ve slowed her down a bit. Anyway congrats to her and the other ladies. I enjoyed their sportsmanship after the race was over. They all seemed genuinely happy for each other, no matter their placement on the podium. And even those who didn’t make the podium.

The men’s long jump competition was great. Did not expect Greece to take gold. I felt bad for the Cuban who could’ve possibly taken gold, he’d been leading the event. But got injured and couldn’t do the final jump. I also felt for the Jamaican jumper who is world champion and a favorite, but was unable to really jump due to his knee injury. He ended up in 11th. Though it’s amazing to hear how far these athletes are jumping it’s got to be brutal on their knees and have unfortunate long term affects years after they’ve retired from the sport. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

Really nice run by Aaron Brown in his 200 m heat.  Skipping the 100 m seems to have paid off.

De Grasse did what he needed to to qualify, and nothing more, which is probably the smart approach.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Running hurdles on a wet track in the middle of a rainstorm?  These women are HARDCORE.I'd be '"Nope, not going to happen!"

I’m always worried about slipping and falling just walking on a wet surface. Watching them run on a wet track and do it well always blows my mind.

• Love 7

They interviewed both of them separately on late-night here on the West Coast.  Benjamin was heartbroken and started crying when they showed him his family cheering for him.  Really not thrilled with that choice from the network.

Warholm was elated, of course, said it was his perfect race and that Benjamin should have a gold medal, too.  What a classy guy.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SophiaD said:

They interviewed both of them separately on late-night here on the West Coast.  Benjamin was heartbroken and started crying when they showed him his family cheering for him.  Really not thrilled with that choice from the network.

Warholm was elated, of course, said it was his perfect race and that Benjamin should have a gold medal, too.  What a classy guy.  

Yeah, Warholm was very classy.  I hope Benjamin can be elated with his incredible run and silver medal.  Warholm, though...

Damn-tyra-wow-Sheeit-Dayum-Dayum-girl-GI

And I love how awed Sanya and Ato were by his run.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

The 800M lineup makes me laugh, because if you are not from GBR, Jamaica or the US just don’t bother.  Also, when they did the lineups, it was amazing that every lady is apparently not only speedy, but also so so beautiful.

Athing Mu and that English teenager’s faces when they saw the times were priceless.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I knew the 200m was Thompson-Herah's race to lose (probably the 100m) too. She flies on the track. I knew no one would be able to catch her. I was hoping Gabby Thomas could've snagged the silver and Fraser-Pryce the bronze, but I'm so proud of Thomas on her bronze. 

This is Fraser-Pryce's last Olympics, but it's so impressive that she's still a threat at 35 years old. She definitely had nothing to prove being that she is so decorated.

So cool that they have a live feed for the medal winners to see their families after their competition. Great idea! So glad they get some "live" interaction with their families after competing. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

And De Grasse blows away his old personal best and leads the field in the 200 m semis.  He's now looking like a real gold medal contender (particularly with Lyles looking rocky there).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Ehhh, that was a mental mistake. If he runs through the tape, he's still the favorite.

Lyles also hasn't run as fast as De Grasse did here in over two years.

He certainly has a high ceiling, but he hasn't been hitting it of late.

None of which means he won't win, just that it's a very open race now (and there are a few other guys who also look like they could contend when they really turn it on tomorrow).

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

I remember once upon a time when male track and field athletes actually got to wear a pair of shorts.  Nowadays it's all these skinsuits.  I get that for running, every hundredth of a second counts, so the uniform has evolved over time in an effort to reduce every last bit of drag.  But I don't understand why the field athletes in pole vault, high jump, discus, hammer, etc need to wear these suits.  These track and field suits are tighter than the swimmer's suits.

Just seems kind of odd that one of the prerequisites of being an elite Olympic track and field athlete is that you have to be willing to display to the world whether you are circumcised or not.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Erriyon Knight is very interesting for the 200M final- he's performed far beyond expectations and has nothing to lose. So might as well just try something crazy and see what happens.  Los Angeles would be when a lot of male sprinters like him are in their peak years. 

Speaking of peak performance years, we could have a literal decade of Athing Mu vs. Keely Hodgkinson at the top of the 800M ranks if both stay relatively healthy and engaged and that would be a heck of a friendly rivalry. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

But I don't understand why the field athletes in pole vault, high jump...

I actually get it for those two, I feel like those athletes don't want anything, even fabric, touching the pole. The others, I don't quite understand, but if being in a skin tight suit makes them feel like they are performing their best, have at it. 

• Love 3

Speaking of track and field outfits, I think it's interesting that some of the women wearing what I call bikini bottoms have tan lines on their legs that show they wore longer shorts, so are they wearing the bikini ones for tv?

And here we go with the decathlon, the event for track stars who hate themselves.

Kevin Mayer goes in the first 100 m heat, goes behind his personal best by 0.13 (-33 points).

Edited by SeanC
  • LOL 9