Type keyword(s) to search

Track and Field

• Start Topic

On 8/7/2021 at 3:54 PM, SophiaD said:

I remember there was a giant amount of talk when Devon Allen chose to go into Track and Field instead of declaring for the NFL Draft.  He was an outstanding quarterback for Oregon.

I can't fault the young men for choosing fame, and, even more importantly, money and security in the NFL, instead of becoming track athletes, but am hoping that the new name, image, and likeness laws will allow them to make a nice nest egg for the future and consider their options.  Track seems rigorous, but with much better long-term implications for athlete health.

I will admit that I am clueless about careers and money potential in track and field, but it would be a mistake to think there is security in an NFL career. Contracts are generally not guaranteed and most players careers are only a couple of years, even without severe injuries. Of course maybe they make more in a couple of years than a lifetime in track.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:19 PM, Danny Franks said:

Michael Johnson sounded the warning years ago - too many of the top US sprinters and jumpers in college and high school also play football and decide to go into the NFL instead of sticking with their track and field events.

More money but fewer healthy brain cells. :-(

• Love 2

I didn't see a regular track and field forum so I thought I'd put this here.  I'm watching the Prefontaine Classic and just finished watching the widely anticipated race between the Jamaican medalists and Sha'Carri Richardson in the 100m.  They left Sha'Carri's little butt in the dust, with Elaine Thompson-Herah finishing first.  Richardson came in 9th.  Of course, she was interviewed and she ran her mouth like a hyped up 12 year old, said "shit" on air, and really didn't come off very well.  So much for her. 

And now they keep showing commercials of her with those horrible, ugly ass fingernails.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 2