Type keyword(s) to search

Track and Field

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Sad Centrowitz will not be able to defend his 1500m Gold medal.

I'm really bummed for him.  He just looked off his game tonight. 

The US Men really need to make handoffs part of their ongoing training strategy.  At this point, it's just embarrassing.

I just looked it up and Devon Allen came in fifth in 2016 and fourth this year.  I hope he stays healthy and wins a medal in 2024.  

• Love 3

Ooof, US men shut out of the podium in the 400 m, but great races by Gardiner, Zambrano, and James.  

Gardiner's form is gorgeous and that was an incredible lean by Kirani James who now has a complete set.  

Michael Cherry is amazingly composed.

2 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Ooof, US men shut out of the podium in the 400 m, but great races by Gardiner, Zambrano, and James.  

Gardiner's form is gorgeous and that was an incredible lean by Kirani James who now has a complete set.  

Michael Cherry is amazingly composed.

Poor Michael Norman was in tears. 

• Love 1

I feel like this US track team was very young. Lots of first time Olympians. Many of them had disappointing showings because they obviously wanted gold, but they're going to be stronger in three years. The Jamaican sprinters are aging.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Poor Michael Norman was in tears. 

I wanted to give him a hug.  He ran really well - I think the other guys just had a better day, and as @Lady Whistleup says, are older and more poised.   He has an amazing future.

3 hours ago, selkie said:

Racewalking remains on the Olympic schedule for 2024 but it's changed from 50K to 20K for both men and women. 

They used to have both distances but now it'll be only one. I guess they want the marathon to be the longest Olympic event again? (Though if they're doing it for this reason I look forward to them cutting the road cycling. What do you mean it'll never happen?)

• Love 2

Wow Miller Ubio smoked the field in the 400m! Great race!

Congratulations to Allyson Felix. So impressive. Another "old" woman (in relation to the sport) still being competitive. Congrats on her bronze. 

I feel bad for McPhearson from Jamaica. She was just crushed after not having enough to push past Allyson for the bronze.  Anyway great race!

• Love 2

Congratulations to Mohammed Ahmed on Canada's first-ever medal in the 5000 m.

Damn, great effort by Gabriela to finish fifth in the 1500 m. No triple for Hassan, but still a crazy feat.

• Love 6

Australia wins their 2nd Bronze in Track & Field. This time in the field with Women's Javelin. I know it's only 2 bronzes but wow I am so impressed with what our Track & Field team have achieved in this Olympics. So many finalists compared to recent Olympics. Almost feels like we are making a return in the sport. I know it will never be to the level of Swimming success, but it is so nice to finally hear people and the media talk about Athletics as possible medal contenders again.

• Love 5
Just now, Bill1978 said:

Australia wins their 2nd Bronze in Track & Field. This time in the field with Women's Javelin. I know it's only 2 bronzes but wow I am so impressed with what our Track & Field team have achieved in this Olympics. So many finalists compared to recent Olympics. Almost feels like we are making a return in the sport. I know it will never be to the level of Swimming success, but it is so nice to finally hear people and the media talk about Athletics as possible medal contenders again.

As opposed to OUR Track teams, which seem to be imploding in a most embarrassing and vexatious manner. Yes, I'm looking at YOU in particular, US Men's Track team -- get your act together so we can finally knock China off the top of the leaderboard in total Gold medals!

• Love 2

The U.S. did a good job making up ground after being a little behind on the 2nd leg of the 4x100 relay. Congrats on their silver win!

Seeing all the ladies from all the different countries hug and interact after the race, I was surprised to see how tiny Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce is. She looks to be about 5'3 no more than 5'4. 

Really love the Kenyan national anthem! The Japanese anthem is another one I think is wonderful.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
Just now, Enero said:

I was surprised to see how tiny Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce is. She looks to be about 5'3 no more than 5'4. 

She's 5'0". Jamaica was just too deep, but congrats to the U.S. for the Silver.

So, if Cole Hocker does not win the 1500m, it will be the first time in the modern Olympics a U.S. male runner will not have won an individual Gold. (Excepting 1980, of course.)

• Love 2

The men's relay was awesome! Cannot believe the Jamaicans didn't make the podium, but looked to have had some trouble during at least one of the handoffs.

Congratulations to the Italians! Great win!

• Love 4

3 minutes ago, Enero said:

The men's relay was awesome! Cannot believe the Jamaicans didn't make the podium, but looked to have had some trouble during at least one of the handoffs.

Congratulations to the Italians! Great win!

And the Canadians get the bronze medal.  Congrats to them.  GB takes silver.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Trey said:

GB takes silver.

I felt so sorry for their last runner.  He looked absolutely gutted because they only lost by 0.01 and I'm sure he blames himself on some level. :(  But what a great effort from Italy.  They were on fire.  And to be honest, again, no offence to the US forum members but when one team always wins, every time like the US men's 4x100 teams used to, it's not as exciting as tonight's final was when three teams could realistically have won it if things had fallen into place.  And yes, I recognise mileage may vary on this one!

• Love 3

The Jamaican ladies do it again!

. . .And the men disappoint again. FOURTH?! They' ve owned this race for the last three Olympics and they came in FOURTH?! I knew they wouldn't win gold, but I still expected silver or bronze at least.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

They used to have both distances but now it'll be only one. I guess they want the marathon to be the longest Olympic event again? (Though if they're doing it for this reason I look forward to them cutting the road cycling. What do you mean it'll never happen?)

Only the men do the 50K in racewalking.  In the name of gender parity, they cut it because women don't compete at this distance, only at the 20k distance.  They're supposed to be adding a mixed gender event in the future.  Not really sure what the point of that would be.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, katisha said:

I felt so sorry for their last runner.  He looked absolutely gutted because they only lost by 0.01 and I'm sure he blames himself on some level. :(  But what a great effort from Italy.  They were on fire.  And to be honest, again, no offence to the US forum members but when one team always wins, every time like the US men's 4x100 teams used to, it's not as exciting as tonight's final was when three teams could realistically have won it if things had fallen into place.  And yes, I recognise mileage may vary on this one!

Honestly, Netheneel Mitchell-Blake is right to feel bad, because his three teammates put him in an ideal position to win, but he just ran so tight and gave the Italian runner the chance to beat him.

He's a much better sprinter than that and, even though he's not been in great form this year, he should have won easily.

Just a frustrating track and field competition for GB. Underperformance and injury for the most part, but great for Holly Bradshaw, Keely Hodgkinson and Laura Muir.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I remember watching Allyson Felix in the trials leading up to the 2004 Olympics.  I was so impressed with her talent, poise (she was only 18!) and competitive nerve.  And, not that this should matter, but she was, and is, so beautiful.  All the congrats to her for her amazing achievements on and off the track.

• Love 11

I'm so happy USA showed the Women's Marathon.  I got sucked into the ending.  Sarah Molly Seidel did such a terrific job. Too bad she fell off the pace towards the end but a bronze is an amazing feat.  Her reaction was terrific.

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm so happy USA showed the Women's Marathon.  I got sucked into the ending.  Sarah Molly Seidel did such a terrific job. Too bad she fell off the pace towards the end but a bronze is an amazing feat.  Her reaction was terrific.

I too got caught up in watching the last miles, I was yelling "Go Molly"!  She was so happy and emotional at the end!  She had only run 2 previous Marathons!

• Love 5

Yeah Kate French - gold for GB in Pentathlon!

And a new OR.

Also, the British women got bronze in hockey against India.  (Netherland gold, Argentina silver.)

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 1

Although I was already spoiled, I enjoyed watching the 400.  I've always loved watching Felix run - she looks like a gazelle and is so graceful.  Admired the grit and determination on her face in the last 50 to hold on for the bronze.  Knowing what she had to go through to get here makes me appreciate her performance even more.  Loved the interaction with her family on the video afterwards.  Congrats to Allyson on a stellar career!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm so happy USA showed the Women's Marathon.

Just in case I didn't feel like enough of a lump watching these amazing athletes, I was shocked to hear that one of the US marathoners (Aliphine Tuliamuk) breastfed her seven-month old daughter one hour before the start of the race. Holy cow! Unfortunately, she didn't end up finishing, but I will forever be in awe of her. And the silver lining was that her partner and adorable daughter were there cheering her on.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Yeah Kate French - gold for GB in Pentathlon!

And now gold for GB in the men's Pentathlon, for Joe Choong.

No one is better than Great Britain at the event that simulates a 19th century cavalry officer behind enemy lines!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Another field medal in the women's high jump! Australia hasn't done this well (relatively speaking) in track and field for many years. We expect to do well in swimming but we've gotten used to never even making finals in track or field events. It's a nice change. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Two more track medals with Sifan Hassan on the 10k and the incredible surprise of the men's 4x400 puts us at 7(!!) medals on the track. We are a real track and field country now 😀

The European Championships next year should be fun, in a very packed track and field calendar.

• Love 2

What a dominating performance by both US relay teams.

It was truly a women’s dream team. Smart to put Mu on the anchor. Congrats to Allyson for her 11th medal. Disappointed that Peacock didn’t interview the women afterwards or even show them walking around with the US flag on their shoulders. 

The men finally came through too. I don’t know the names of them as well, but I think Benjamin might have ran anchor? Glad to see he got a hold after his heartbreaking interview after his 400 hurdles loss. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, katisha said:

Wow. Sifan Hassan is a machine. I so wish she'd managed to pull off the triple gold but even two golds and a bronze across the three events is incredible.

This! I don’t know how she still had legs to run the 10k after running the 1500k and 5k. But then not only that, she pretty much chills during most of the 10k, then turns it up during the final 200m to essentially crush the field. Amazing. I was not at all surprised when she collapsed when it was over. I’m sure she was not only physically spent, but emotionally raw due to finally finishing her last race at these Games and with a gold medal!

Congrats to the U.S. women and men in the 4x400. Both teams smoked the field. Great line up for the women’s team. And Felix now holds the most T&F Olympic medals by an American! Great way to end her career. It’s been a pleasure watching her over the years. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 5

Michael Johnson sounded the warning years ago - too many of the top US sprinters and jumpers in college and high school also play football and decide to go into the NFL instead of sticking with their track and field events.

Unless the US can figure out a way to make track and field more rewarding than being paid millions of dollars a year in the NFL, then they're going to keep seeing this talent drain happen.

Guys like John Ross, Adoree Jackson and Jabril Peppers (yes, I looked up the 2017 draft class) ran well under 11 seconds for the 100m as teenagers, but chose to focus on football instead. Marlon Humphrey could have been a legitimate 110m hurdles star, and just imagine the potential in throwing events that are now backup linemen.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

just imagine the potential in throwing events that are now backup linemen.

I know that Tristan Wirfs won several HS state championships in discus and shot put before going to Iowa to play football and is now a super bowl champion. 

• Love 1

I remember there was a giant amount of talk when Devon Allen chose to go into Track and Field instead of declaring for the NFL Draft.  He was an outstanding quarterback for Oregon.

I can't fault the young men for choosing fame, and, even more importantly, money and security in the NFL, instead of becoming track athletes, but am hoping that the new name, image, and likeness laws will allow them to make a nice nest egg for the future and consider their options.  Track seems rigorous, but with much better long-term implications for athlete health.

• Love 7

Kipchoge is just on a whole different level than everyone else is. Wow. 

Eta, I have no idea what's happening these Olympics but a silver on the marathon was something I didn't even consider! Holy crap! 

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, katisha said:

Another field medal in the women's high jump! Australia hasn't done this well (relatively speaking) in track and field for many years. We expect to do well in swimming but we've gotten used to never even making finals in track or field events. It's a nice change. 

It's been wonderful to see the success we've had AND for the Australian public to re-embrace the discipline. Who would have predicted that the most watched event on Australian TV for the Olympics would be a semi of the men's 100m and then the final of the men's 800m. True the stats do benefit from the swimming finals being held during the day and outside of primetime viewing. Hopefully the sport (and athletes) sees a genuine boost in the public profile in this nation.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Kipchoge is just on a whole different level than everyone else is. Wow. 

Eta, I have no idea what's happening these Olympics but a silver on the marathon was something I didn't even consider! Holy crap! 

It was hilarious when the Dutch guy urged on the Belgian guy who ended up with bronze. Low countries stick together! 😃

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
On 8/7/2021 at 11:50 AM, AimingforYoko said:

Worst Olympic track meet for the U.S. men in my lifetime.

Although there have been years where the US men won more medals and then got caught doping.  THAT would be more embarrassing.

It was great seeing countries who don't traditionally medal in track and field getting a lot this time around.  I love when an unexpected underdog does really well.

• Love 3

On 8/7/2021 at 12:54 PM, SophiaD said:

I remember there was a giant amount of talk when Devon Allen chose to go into Track and Field instead of declaring for the NFL Draft.  He was an outstanding quarterback for Oregon.

I can't fault the young men for choosing fame, and, even more importantly, money and security in the NFL, instead of becoming track athletes, but am hoping that the new name, image, and likeness laws will allow them to make a nice nest egg for the future and consider their options.  Track seems rigorous, but with much better long-term implications for athlete health.

American football isn't a sport; it's something PT Barnum wished he'd come up with.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1