Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

While Dele is in Nigeria with his dad, Abishola struggles with how to handle her free time, so Bob, Gloria and Kemi remind her how to let loose. Also, Dottie enlists Christina's help at her old house and Olu and Tunde try to keep up with their new Nigerian houseguest.

Airdate: 05/10/2021

WTF?!?!?  Abishola let's her hair down for 1 night and that bastard wants Dele to stay in Nigeria?!?!?!  I wanted to smack his smirk off his face through the tv.  I hope Dele doesn't fall for the pressure.

I liked the time between Dottie and Christina.

Speaking of hair I loved those little clips in Abishola's.

The renter, Tundi and Ola was funny about the heat of the food. LOL.

• Love 9
(edited)

I really don't like that they went down the formulaic trope with Tayo. We can dislike the guy for being a dick without him being all evil and wanting to steal his son away from his mom. 

Edited by callie lee 29
Grammer
  • Love 7
54 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Loved seeing Abishola cut loose, but how was it that the women all had bathing suits with them?

I think I can hand wave that. Apparently Abishola has been spending a lot of time at Bob’s place  (with this newly discovered hot tub), so she may have had a couple of extra suits they could borrow. Same with the jammies/comfy clothes they were wearing later. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I thought they got into the hot tub in their club dresses. But if they really were wearing bathing suits! 

Maybe Bob and Abishola go to Nigeria to retrieve Dele, if Tayo refuses to cooperate with D's return.

The paralysis of Dottie is not being faked very well at all. It's like the actress isn't even trying. I know they say she's "feeling better" but then why is Christina carrying D up the stairs? 

I really enjoyed the "girls night" and Abishola willingly taking down all the rules she would have to follow. I also liked seeing the bonding of the guys over puzzles at work earlier. 

Olu and Tunde taking passive aggressive sass from the cousin seemed out of character, somehow. 

• Love 4

Abishola looked gorgeous in her club attire. I loved seeing the ladies just hanging out and chilling. And the dancing was fun, too. 

I was amusing by Olu and Tunde not being able to handle the level of spice the cousin was adding to her food. Although, as you age, your body handles spice less than when you were younger so I think the cousin needs to take a seat. Or twenty. 

Dele better be coming home. 

• Love 10

I remember we were all surprised when the show decided not to drag out the drama with Abishola wanting to get a divorce from Tayo, all of it was done in 2 episodes. Hopefully the same thing happens here.

• Love 6
(edited)

I saw the Tayo thing coming weeks ago. Kind of crazy when he abandoned Abishola and Dele as a baby and took a second wife. Now he wants Dele? When the kid is mostly grown and the hardest part is over? Such a bastard. It'll never fly and Bob will totally settle the legalities.

4 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I was amusing by Olu and Tunde not being able to handle the level of spice the cousin was adding to her food.

But you can still love the spicy! I am totally stealing "the devil's tastebuds" for personal use going forward. Yeah. 🔥🌶

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

The paralysis of Dottie is not being faked very well at all. It's like the actress isn't even trying. I know they say she's "feeling better" but then why is Christina carrying D up the stairs? 

True, but there is a difference (both physically and psychologically) between walking on a smooth flat surface and walking up and down stairs. Also, Dottie can tend to fake it a bit when it benefits her.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 7

I was a tiny bit bothered by Bob essentially hijacking the girls' clubbing adventure and keeping them home. They arguably had more fun at Bob's but I would have liked a throw-away line in which he offered to get them an Uber to the club but they said they preferred to stay with him.

• Love 2

I wouldn't put it past Dele's father to go to drastic lengths to keep his son in Nigeria.  This whole plot line is sooo predictable we all saw it coming a mile away.  Of course Bob is going to have to go to Nigeria to settle this.....Yawn.....They could have dispensed with the tired old plot forumlas.

I didn't think the women were wearing bathing suits in the tub.  It looked like they were wearing tops.  One looked like a fitted women's tee shirt.

I also didn't like it that Bob hijacked them.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

She could use the railing, with Christina as back up support. It's not easy, but the half-assed representation of her stroke effects annoys me. 

At least Ebersole stopped with the half assed attempt at facial distortion.  On some episodes she forgot which side was supposed to be "frozen" and did the wrong side, LOL.

She could get one of those riding staircase lifter thingies.  

It wasn't lost on me that as the episode progressed Tunde and wife were back in their traditional African attire as if to "prove" that they weren't losing touch with their culture, LOL.  Their scenes are some of my favorites in this show.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was a tiny bit bothered by Bob essentially hijacking the girls' clubbing adventure and keeping them home. They arguably had more fun at Bob's but I would have liked a throw-away line in which he offered to get them an Uber to the club but they said they preferred to stay with him.

I had assumed they just opted to stay because they were having so much fun. It wasn't as though Kemi and the other friend had been planning to go to the jazz club that night and he hijacked existing plans. Abishola said she wanted to go that night. 

9 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

She could get one of those riding staircase lifter thingies.  

I feel like she just really doesn't want to live in that big old house alone anymore.  It makes sense. The kids apparently never visit (which, to be fair if they see her all day at work, why would they want to spend every evening hanging out there too?). It is probably a big house with at least 4 bedrooms on multiple floors. She could probably downsize and be more comfortable and maybe live in a place with other people her own age where she could have friends, like a retirement community. At least I hope that's the plan. I hope it isn't her plan to just live with Bob until she dies. (Although that's probably the plan)

My only hope on the Abishola/Dele/Nigeria story is that it doesn't cause Abishola to blame herself for her one night of fun. It probably will and she'll go back to never doing unnecessary things, but I would prefer her to recognize she's allowed to have fun and that doesn't make her a bad mother. Given Dele's excitement about teaching her to dance, it may actually make her a better one. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

She could probably downsize and be more comfortable and maybe live in a place with other people her own age where she could have friends, like a retirement community. At least I hope that's the plan. I hope it isn't her plan to just live with Bob until she dies. (Although that's probably the plan)

A better outcome would be Dottie buying a smaller house next to or across the street from Bob's, which would give lots of opportunity for comedic interactions and easily allow Abishola to continue to assist Dottie and also see Bob.

24 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

It wasn't lost on me that as the episode progressed Tunde and wife were back in their traditional African attire as if to "prove" that they weren't losing touch with their culture, LOL. 

I loved the African styles and fabrics. If I didn't know better regarding cultural appropriation, I would want to wear something like that this summer now that I'm retired and fully vaccinated. 
But when I wore head coverings due to baldness from chemotherapy, the international female college students who regularly wore head coverings would look at me and giggle, so I know from experience that I would not want to wear something that would require an lengthy conversation to explain my motivation.

• Love 5
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I also didn't like it that Bob hijacked them.

There is NO way he hijacked ANYTHING ... given how both Kemi and Abishola have both been shown that it doesn't matter what he wants when they want to do something .... Everything up until this point in the show contradicts that he would have even stood a chance at keeping them there if they didn't want to stay

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 14
43 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I feel like she just really doesn't want to live in that big old house alone anymore.  It makes sense.

You're right, it does make sense.  I'm getting to the age myself where I'm glad I live in a 1500 square foot ranch and not the big house I lived in 20 years ago.

23 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I loved the African styles and fabrics. If I didn't know better regarding cultural appropriation, I would want to wear something like that this summer now that I'm retired and fully vaccinated. 

I know how you feel.  I inherited my mother's beautiful hand sewn dashikis and would love to wear them but I dare not.  Somehow they were OK for her to wear back in the '70s but not now.

13 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

There is NO way he hijacked ANYTHING ... given how both Kemi and Abishola have both been shown that it doesn't matter what he wants when they want to do something .... Everything up until this point in the show contradicts that he would have even stood a chance at keeping them there if they didn't want to stay

It did strike me as a manipulation.  He got them tipsy first, then when they were too happy to notice or care suddenly they were in his hot tub and not sticking to their former plans.  If he had not offered the booze I'm sure they wouldn't have stayed there.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

You're right, it does make sense.  I'm getting to the age myself where I'm glad I live in a 1500 square foot ranch and not the big house I lived in 20 years ago.

I know how you feel.  I inherited my mother's beautiful hand sewn dashikis and would love to wear them but I dare not.  Somehow they were OK for her to wear back in the '70s but not now.

It did strike me as a manipulation.  He got them tipsy first, then when they were too happy to notice or care suddenly they were in his hot tub and not sticking to their former plans.  If he had not offered the booze I'm sure they wouldn't have stayed there.

So he shouldn't have been a good host and offered them a drink? again if Kami or Abashola didn't want to drink there they wouldn't have and there are things like uber and lyft... Bob is not the bad guy in this is all I am saying ...

• Love 6

With Kemi, Gloria and Abishola enjoying the free drinks, Bob's impeccable hospitality and amenities such as the hot tub, why leave.   Although, it would have been fun seeing them some place else having a real "girls night out."   It was perplexing that they all had a change of clothes for the hot tub, since their original intention was to go out on the town.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

So he shouldn't have been a good host and offered them a drink? again if Kami or Abashola didn't want to drink there they wouldn't have and there are things like uber and lyft... Bob is not the bad guy in this is all I am saying ...

No, he's not a bad guy but I don't think he's above a little manipulation every now and then.  He could have said, "No, you women were all going to go out, don't let me or a few drinks stop you", or he could have offered to drive them there if they were too inebriated, but they didn't show him saying that so he just looked a little less like a good guy to me.

• Love 1

Maybe they planed on having them making it to a club ..maybe the covid restrictions cut that plan out .. I mean all those extras in the background in the club setting ... It didn't look like the girls weren't having a good time ... why add something to this that wasn't there?

• Love 1

It was nice to see Abishola so relaxed and having fun with her 2 friends. That's going to come back and bite her with the ex, but her son was happy to see her having fun

• Love 4
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Olu and Tunde taking passive aggressive sass from the cousin seemed out of character, somehow.

Yeah, that was a little grating.  Especially Olu.  She should have been able to put the cousin nicely and politely in her place with one single cutting comment, all while smiling and offering dessert.

I loved the "girl's night in" storyline.   I loved how much Bob enjoyed seeing Abishola cut loose and didn't mind being their waiter/cabana boy--and even roped his brother into it!

This episode of Bob ❤️ Abishola juxtaposed against the later Bull episode featuring a client who was a retired special forces guy who now specializes in extractions of children abducted to international locations by one half of a custody dispute was a little jarring.  I don't know if that was a coincidence, or if CBS did that on purpose.  All I gotta say is that a  Bob ❤️ Abishola/Bull was about the last crossover combination I've ever expected in my extensive TV viewing career!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Maybe they planed on having them making it to a club ..maybe the covid restrictions cut that plan out .. I mean all those extras in the background in the club setting

Good point. And with about 17 minutes of dialogue per episode and 3 plots, I guess there wasn't room for any further explanation

• Love 3

Olu and Tunde shouldn't feel bad about becoming more American. There must be a reason they chose to live in the USA for decades even if they seem to love Nigeria a lot despite not even entertaining the idea of going back.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Harvey said:

Olu and Tunde shouldn't feel bad about becoming more American. There must be a reason they chose to live in the USA for decades even if they seem to love Nigeria a lot despite not even entertaining the idea of going back.

It's more about familial culture than national identity --which maybe you meant anyway? 
My mom liked to tell about the time her uncle showed up unexpectedly when she was about to fry bacon, but she was able to put it in the sink with a dish towel over it and he was none the wiser that they were not even trying to keep Kosher. Tunde trying to eat the extra spicy food was similar to me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I really did not think they were going to go there with Tayo wanting to keep Dele in Nigeria, even though lots of people (including me) suspected it as soon as Tayo started talking about taking Dele to Nigeria, but it looks like they might actually go there. I don't think that Dele would want to stay in Nigeria permanently, so this could turn into a pretty big legal mess which will hopefully be handled quickly. I wonder if the season will end with Bob and Abishola going to Nigeria to get Dele? 

Even if piece of crap Tayo tried to use it to make Abishola look bad, I am glad that she had a fun night out with her friends, even if it turned into a fun drunk night in. As much as Abishola thinks that having fun is a waste of time, it seems like this is really good for her, and Dele looked so happy to be asked to help her dance. I don't see how Bob was manipulating the ladies to stay home at all, and I don't know why he would do that anyway. He was psyched that Abishola was going out, he just said that they could stay as long as they wanted to pre-game, then of course Kemmi wanted use of the hot tub and tons of free drinks that Bob could make them. They were planning on going out (and looked amazing) but they decided they were having fun at home, plans change, it happens. 

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't think that Dele would want to stay in Nigeria permanently, so this could turn into a pretty big legal mess which will hopefully be handled quickly.

I have assumed that if they went with this story that Bob and Abishola would have a not-honeymoon in Nigeria to get Dele back, but now I want Dottie to be the driving force behind the legal process --if need be. Tayo's not an ogre. I can also see him being disappointed but not making a big hairy legal deal out of it.

• Love 3

Add me to the list of people disappointed at the direction the Tayo story is taking, I was really hoping they wouldn't go there.

And Tayo badmouthing Abishola to Dele, I know he's just a kid but come on....please don't have Dele start believing that. I don't like the storyline at all, I want it to go away but it would be more believable if Tayo tried to get Dele to stay by offering more freedom than his mother gave him or more spending money etc., not by making Abishola seem like a bad mother 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

t did strike me as a manipulation.  He got them tipsy first, then when they were too happy to notice or care suddenly they were in his hot tub and not sticking to their former plans.  If he had not offered the booze I'm sure they wouldn't have stayed there.

so because Bob was a polite host he hijacked them?  If I recall correctly it was one of the women that asked him to turn on the music. I also didn't see him in the hot tub.  None of these women are shrinking violets.  If they didn't want to have a drink they would have said "no thank you" but they said they didn't want to be at the club that early then they started having fun and had drinks, food, music and hot tub so they decided to stay.  

• Love 13

I don't post here much but this show has really grown on me. I hope they bypass the "dad tries to kidnap his son" plot and Dele returns to Detroit by choice, without any international custody crap. I also didn't think Bob did anything manipulative or wrong by offering to get the evening started with a few cocktails. Then again I can't tell you how many girls nights out ended as girls nights in when, during the "pre-game" we decided the booze and comfy pants we had at home was going to be way more fun than going out.

• Love 10

I think Bob truly wants/wanted to see Abishola have fun with her friends and let go.  Kemi and Gloria would be a blast to party with.  While I don't think he hijacked the girls evening out, he probably wasn't sorry they stayed at his house and enjoyed themselves and he could be a part of it.   

I think Dele is smart enough to not be manipulated by anything disparaging Tayo may say about Abishola.  Like others here have already stated, the scenario of Tayo wanting to keep Dele in Nigeria was apparent episodes ago.  

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I also didn't think Bob did anything manipulative or wrong by offering to get the evening started with a few cocktails. Then again I can't tell you how many girls nights out ended as girls nights in when, during the "pre-game" we decided the booze and comfy pants we had at home was going to be way more fun than going out.

Yes, and just imagine if there was a hot tub available! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gatopretoNYC said:

Yes, and just imagine if there was a hot tub available! 

With a friend's partner unobtrusively bringing us refills and snacks?! Yes, please!

To me their evening was perfect. Sometimes (more often than not for me), it's all about the company and not the venue.

• Love 14
(edited)

I thought this was another good episode with great stories, excluding the whole Tayo/Dele storyline (which I hope they wrap up very quickly, and don't leave it as a cliffhanger until next season).

It was great to see Abishola having fun and relaxing with her friends.  I think she smiled more in this one episode than she has in all the other episodes of Season 1 and 2 put together!!  

This show is really well-written, and I hope it doesn't start changing things too much.  Everything is working just the way it is.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Good point. And with about 17 minutes of dialogue per episode and 3 plots, I guess there wasn't room for any further explanation

I think they could have found a way to squeeze it in, it would have taken very little time to do that.  Obviously if we are able to debate what Bob's motives were the show wasn't clear enough about them.  Truthfully, though, Bob didn't have to be sidetracking them "on purpose" to say he hijacked them.  It's a word that I (and my family) have used for decades in situations like when someone calls me and keeps me on the phone when I really had other plans.  They're not doing it with any deliberate intent to keep me from my plans and I even allow them to do it, but they effectively hijack me anyway.  Semantics.

• Love 1

Tayo was effectively intimidated into granting Abishola's divorce, so that plus this show being a comedy and not a drama gives me hope that Dele will return without too much horror en route. Perhaps Olu and Tunde go to Nigeria to work their magic, as we know they are really on Bob's side and they were quite effective on her behalf before.

I thought it was quite clear that Kemi asked to use the hot tub. I recall some dialogue where she asked him something like whether he meant it when he said something like "anything for you" and she said: ANYTHING?? and then there's a cut to the women in the hot tub. Obviously if not everyone got that, it was too subtle, but I think they did try to establish that it was their idea and not his. Also, they were clearly having a fantastic time, so I don't think they regretted not going out.

Tayo said Abishola having a good time was ANOTHER reason why Dele should stay in Nigeria. So it was a campaign already underway, not something he began because he disapproves of Abishola having fun. It wasn't a case of him being scandalized and deciding she's unfit as a parent. He was already working on it. He has a nerve. Unless the actor playing Dele is leaving the show for some reason, I expect Tayo gets put in his place and Dele returns to Detroit on time, and maybe even ahead of schedule. Tayo was awful before now, so it's not like a sudden change in tone for him. I would have been surprised if he didn't act terrible, since he always has.

I thought Dottie was going to live with Bob and Abishola and Olu and Tunde (and Dele) (and maybe the twins) after B&A get married. I actually thought that was a foregone conclusion. But this episode made me realize they really haven't said that. I don't even really feel clear on where the twins live-- they are always at Bob's house, even when Dottie doesn't seem to need full time care anymore. But that doesn't make sense. There's no reason to think the three siblings have been living together, any more than they would be living at Dottie's giant empty house. But we have never seen them elsewhere other than work, that I recall.

I want a plush headboard like Dottie has behind her bed at the house she's selling. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A better outcome would be Dottie buying a smaller house next to or across the street from Bob's, which would give lots of opportunity for comedic interactions and easily allow Abishola to continue to assist Dottie and also see Bob.

But when I wore head coverings due to baldness from chemotherapy, the international female college students who regularly wore head coverings would look at me and giggle, so I know from experience that I would not want to wear something that would require an lengthy conversation to explain my motivation.

That’s terrible. 😞

Olu and Tunde

On 5/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, shapeshifter said:

How about Dottie getting an apartment in the same building as Olu and Tunde? They all seem to get along, and could keep an eye on each other once Abishola and Dele move in with Bob.

They could have a lot of fun playing "evil in-laws" to keep Bob and Abishola on their toes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I would imagine that in Bob's neighborhood, there are no "small" houses. She'd be better off in assisted living or a ground-floor condo. 

Don't Abishola and her family live in a primarily Black neighborhood? I can't see Dottie living in a Black neighborhood, even if she is accepting of Abishola et al.

2 hours ago, Nialla said:

How about Dottie getting an apartment in the same building as Olu and Tunde? They all seem to get along, and could keep an eye on each other once Abishola and Dele move in with Bob.

If Abishola and Dele move in with Bob, then Olu and Tunde would rent their rooms to someone else.

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

If Abishola and Dele move in with Bob, then Olu and Tunde would rent their rooms to someone else.

I thought Abishola expressed to Bob that when they were married, that also meant Olu and Tunde would also be moving in.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, possibilities said:
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Don't Abishola and her family live in a primarily Black neighborhood?

Have we ever seen any of their neighbors? I honestly don't recall.

You could probably make an assumption based on the people who ride the bus with her. I don't remember seeing many Black people, but I wasn't really paying attention.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Have we ever seen any of their neighbors? I honestly don't recall.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

You could probably make an assumption based on the people who ride the bus with her. I don't remember seeing many Black people, but I wasn't really paying attention.

I would assume they live on a neighborhood around other Nigerian immigrants. Isn't their church primarily Nigerians?

• Love 1
On 5/11/2021 at 7:18 AM, joanne3482 said:

She could probably downsize and be more comfortable and maybe live in a place with other people her own age where she could have friends, like a retirement community. At least I hope that's the plan. I hope it isn't her plan to just live with Bob until she dies. (Although that's probably the plan)

While Dottie is crippled enough to need company, I doubt she is much over 75, given that her eldest is about 50.

And she was, up to her stroke, active in the family company.

So a retirement community would be hell on earth for her. If anyone else watches Grace and Frankie, you may remember their reaction to a short stay in one after the beach house was sold.

A smaller house or town house or apartment, fine. But not "with people her own age".

• Love 2