Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/10/2021

• Start Topic

Monday, May 10 – Bebe Rexha (Album, “Better Mistakes”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, May 11 – Stacey Abrams (Author, “While Justice Sleeps”)

Wednesday, May 12 – Jake Tapper (“The Devil May Dance”); “The View” celebrates National Nurses Week with Carla Brown from Baton Rouge, LA.

Thursday, May 13 – Dr. Sanjay Gupta (“Race For The Vaccine”)

Friday, May 14 – Day of Hot Topics

• Love 2

Stacey Abrams AGAIN? They may as well make her a permanent cohost at this point.

Sanjay Gupta AGAIN?  He was on a couple of months ago, and really had nothing of interest to say. I can't imagine why they booked him again.

At least we have 'View Your Deal' to look forward to this Monday. Time for more anti-aging facial creams, sunglasses, readers, and yoga pants.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

We went to a fancy restaurant Sat night and it was chaos because there wasn’t enough help.  We talked to the owner and he said he just cannot find applicants. I don’t believe it’s because people don’t want to work but in this area I can’t believe that fear of covid is holding them back either. More likely people are holding out for higher wages, waiting for employers to compete with higher pay for open positions.

Oof, they’re kinda tough on men today, esp Whoopi and Ana. Kinda stereotyping men as inept when it comes to home care and dealing with kids. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've had the show on in the background since I like Sara, Sunny, and Ana, but without Joy, I couldn't muster much interest to follow closely. I did notice Ana has this similar tic to Joy where they say something funny followed by a beat of silence and then a final line. It always throws Whoopi off because she starts speaking in the silence thinking they're done and steps on the joke. It's comic timing, I'm surprised Whoopi doesn't have it.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

Kind of weird they're spending so much ttime talking about the importance of getting back to work and school, socializing, etc.  while there's no sign of them ever returning to the studio.

• LOL 6
  • Love 15

Well, we now know that Ana is ready for sure to let Al and Chacha fend for themselves for a few days, hop the next plane to NYC and hug all the gals. Sara's already in the studio and has been for months. Whoopi isn't comfortable with the idea of leaving home yet, and I would assume Joy feels the same way. Sunny, I don’t know. Meghan would most likely want to go back. That's the vibe I'm getting. 

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Meghan would most likely want to go back. That's the vibe I'm getting. 

Meghan has been living in DC for over a year.  Going back to the studio would mean she would have move back to NYC.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

More likely people are holding out for higher wages, waiting for employers to compete with higher pay for open positions.

I've worked the entire pandemic.  I never got bonuses or a raise.  Sometimes I think people forget about us.  I am not a first responder.  My industry is considered essential but we are never mentioned as an essential worker.  I see a lot of help wanted signs.  With what people were making on unemployment I can understand their reluctance to go back to work for minimum wage.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

With what people were making on unemployment I can understand their reluctance to go back to work for minimum wage.

Arizona's minimum wage is $12/hr ($480/wk).  The top weekly UI check is $240, based on one's earnings.

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It's comic timing, I'm surprised Whoopi doesn't have it.

Because she's not a comic.  She's not a comedian.  She's an actress who can learn lines and NEEDS a director--a good director. She's definitely not a moderator in any way, shape, or ...you know.

2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Whoopi isn't comfortable with the idea of leaving home yet,

She's lazy. I'm lazy, so I completely understand--not that I admire her.  Why should she get up, get fully dressed (including "bottoms"), and travel to the studio when she can make demands at home (surely "her" producer is there with her since she doesn't have a Mr. Joy to help her with camera, lighting, etc.  She has a good gig.

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

With what people were making on unemployment I can understand their reluctance to go back to work for minimum wage.

People who are self-employed (including independent contractors and gig workers) don't pay into or qualify for regular unemployment insurance.  So where is their COVID cash coming from - taxpayers?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Because she's not a comic.  She's not a comedian.  She's an actress who can learn lines and NEEDS a director--a good director. She's definitely not a moderator in any way, shape, or ...you know.

Indeed.  I saw Whoopi in an old movie recently - she is much more coherent and entertaining when she is playing someone other than herself.  The View should give her a fictional moderator persona to play & she'd probably do a better job.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Arizona's minimum wage is $12/hr ($480/wk).  The top weekly UI check is $240, based on one's earnings.

It think they were also including the additional $300/wk  in benefits people receive due to the pandemic.  In this scenario a person would be getting $540/wk.    As Ana mentioned there are a lot of factors going into the current labor shortage besides the UI.   The increase benefits are definitely a factor but it's not the only factor.   

5 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Well, we now know that Ana is ready for sure to let Al and Chacha fend for themselves for a few days, hop the next plane to NYC and hug all the gals. Sara's already in the studio and has been for months. Whoopi isn't comfortable with the idea of leaving home yet, and I would assume Joy feels the same way. Sunny, I don’t know. Meghan would most likely want to go back. That's the vibe I'm getting. 

I imagine Whoopi and Sunny are the most resistant. Whoopi because, as @Back Atcha mentioned, she's the type who is probably having a ball not having to deal with being driven to work and all the pre-show prep. For Sunny, I think it's more because her parents are living with her. I'm sure they're vaccinated, but you can still get the virus; you won't die from it if you've had the vaccine (perhaps there is a minor chance that you could?), yet it could still cause some suffering, I assume. Personally, I hope they stay at home at least through the end of this season.

• Love 3

Whoopi’s sexist comment about men not being able to run a house was egregious and indefensible. Sunny saying $300 a week is not a lot of money shows her privilege. That $300 is a bonus on top of regular unemployment payments. I don’t think people who are collecting this are lazy. It is pure economics. It makes no sense to work 40 hours a week at a job when you can stay home and make more. This is especially true with kids at home doing virtual learning. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I bought those magnetic eyelashes for my daughter’s wedding a few years ago. Lemme tell you, they aren’t simple. I never did get the hang of it. 

Thanks for this! I was tempted to buy this, but it helps to know it's not that simple. I want SIMPLE, DAMMIT!

Aside from the male bashing (what era is this, the 1980s? 90s?), I really enjoyed today's show. Laughter, no tension. Just women talking. All it needed was Joy.

1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

She actually is a comic. She, Billy Crystal, and Robin Williams did a LOT for Comic Relief. She's also an actress. I think of her as a comic and comedian. I LOOOOOVED her opening monologue the second time she hosted the Oscars. It was witty, snappy, and FUNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYY.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
On 5/8/2021 at 11:50 AM, pachebo said:

yawn yawn yawn

Tuesday could be good. Especially if Meghan is there. A rare day to HOPE she is.  Because Stacey Abrams utterly humiliating Meghan isn't going to get old. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 15
(edited)
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

She's lazy. I'm lazy, so I completely understand--not that I admire her.  Why should she get up, get fully dressed (including "bottoms"), and travel to the studio when she can make demands at home (surely "her" producer is there with her since she doesn't have a Mr. Joy to help her with camera, lighting, etc.  She has a good gig.

Whoopie has been lazy for years and she was worst years ago.  She was a sloppy mess, incoherent and was mean to her co-hosts. Not to mention that Barbara Walters had a perpetual look of disgust every time she would look at Whoopie's ugly outfits.. You are being paid millions, try to look decent for one hour, 5 days a week.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, darwin416 said:

Sunny saying $300 a week is not a lot of money shows her privilege. That $300 is a bonus on top of regular unemployment payments. I don’t think people who are collecting this are lazy. It is pure economics. It makes no sense to work 40 hours a week at a job when you can stay home and make more. This is especially true with kids at home doing virtual learning. 

Exactly. I think a lot of people mean well but show their privilege with how out of touch they are. Lots of celebs were for the Marshall Plan for Moms, which called for recurring $2,400 payments for moms only. These people have no idea how many Americans bust their butts to make that much. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, darwin416 said:

Sunny saying $300 a week is not a lot of money shows her privilege.

I was coming on here to say this. Sunny et al. do not realize how many  lower-income Americans live. 

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

She actually is a comic. She, Billy Crystal, and Robin Williams did a LOT for Comic Relief. She's also an actress. I think of her as a comic and comedian. I LOOOOOVED her opening monologue the second time she hosted the Oscars. It was witty, snappy, and FUNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Did she really write her comedy routines, though? I've never seen her be naturally funny on The View. Usually, comedians are funny on a whim.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I really hope at least some of these places that are putting up signs complaining about not being able to find people to work for minimum wages that usually aren't livable or are barely so finally realize if they pay more people may actually want to work for them.  Where are all the frequently mentioned robot workers at these places that supposedly could easily replace humans at said jobs that usually get brought up when increasing  the minimum wage is discussed? 

The minimum wage jobs are a lot of work usually. There are too many people who still think that jobs at places like stores, restaurants and the like are just stepping stones up the ladder so they call employees things like "burger flippers" as an insult.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, Jaded said:

I really hope at least some of these places that are putting up signs complaining about not being able to find people to work for minimum wages that usually aren't livable or are barely so finally realize if they pay more people may actually want to work for them.

The only business owners I see complaining (locally) about the shortage of workers are the one who are only willing to pay $2.13/hour for wait staff.  Sorry, no sympathy for you guys.  In addition to the people on unemployment, there are moms who can't work because their kids are home all day, and there are those who don't want to work in the public just yet.

6 hours ago, Jaded said:

so they call employees things like "burger flippers" as an insult.

That's just snobbery.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, After7Only said:

It think they were also including the additional $300/wk  in benefits people receive due to the pandemic. 

Something Sunny doesn't realize is $300 a week alone is more than what a lot of people make working full time.  The $300 added to whatever their state unemployment provides is more than I make in a week working full time.  Sunny grew up working class. Has she forgotten what that is like?

In my area the places looking for job applicants are mostly small business retail shops and fast food and other restaurants.  Those places paid minimum wage or less before the pandemic. I doubt they are wanting to pay more now during the pandemic. 

One big thing the pandemic has highlighted is the difference between white collar work and working class work.  The ladies of the View have been able to work from home and not missed a paycheck. But for millions of others they were laid off and have had to worry about how they were going to pay their bills.   Instead of the question being asked "Do people not want to work?  The View ladies should be asking  "Do businesses not want to pay their employees a living wage?"  The ladies of the View get to negotiate their contracts. Must people don't get that opportunity.  You are told if you don't like what you are getting paid you are free to go elsewhere.

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Meg, you may think things are back to normal because you are vaxxed, but if you bring covid home to your daughter you will finally understand the messaging. 

And she’s not just vaxxed, she’s double vaxxed!

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
(edited)

Megan is an idiot and her word salad about seeing life differently than the left makes no sense because diseases are not partisan, we can all get sick. Of course she had to mention her daddy and she also mocked people who wear masks. She will always be a loathsome human being. 

I am with Joy, once I am fully vaccinated, I will always have a mask on me to use while indoors with strangers. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 22

So Meghan had been raised to believe that life is more than just existing, as opposed to whatever "the left" thinks it's doing by being cautious and wearing masks. Apparently, living life to its fullest involves smoking cigars, drinking whisky, and gambling in Vegas. Thank goodness we have Manic Pixie Pundit Girl to teach the rest of us how it should be done. 🙄

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Vanderboom said:

So Meghan had been raised to believe that life is more than just existing, as opposed to whatever "the left" thinks it's doing by being cautious and wearing masks. Apparently, living life to its fullest involves smoking cigars, drinking whisky, and gambling in Vegas. Thank goodness we have Manic Pixie Pundit Girl to teach the rest of us how it should be done. 🙄

Well of course Meghan thinks the way she lives her life is the best way to live your life.  She is so fucking privileged to think people have been chomping at the bit to get vaccinated so they can go party. I wanted vaccinated so I would not worry about my mother possibly getting reinfected with Covid after spending seven weeks in the hospital. 

• Love 24
13 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think Sara has become rather sly. I noticed she referred to the CDC guidelines as being "conservative" several times, and how she's glad they're erring on the side of caution. I don't know, I took that as a little jab at McCain who feels it necessary to say she's a conservative every other second but is so decidedly not conservative on this issue for the sake of finding something, anything, to whine about.

Sara clearly decided at some point in the past few years that trying to be nice to The Princess of Arizona is a mistake.  I mean even her online content seems at many points to be about mocking Meggy. This also isn't the first time I've heard her use specific words to get under Meghan's skin (or have it go over Meghan's head and let the audience hear it). 

10 minutes ago, Axie said:

I will never ever understand the big deal  about wearing a mask.

You're not supposed to intellectually understand something that's a performance. 

• Love 13
(edited)

Meghan is an idiot!  Not much more to say.

I got a kick out of Sunny and Sara  laughing about Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck.  I don't care if they are together  , I do enjoy JLo.  But my daughter was obsessed with Jennifer and Ben when she was young. 

I prefer Sara's hair down.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 5