Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: Scooby-Doo Checks and Salisbury Steak

jewel21

Bonnie decides to get to the bottom of why her therapist, Trevor, has been so distracted. Also, Jill and Andy find themselves in a life or death situation.

Airdate: 04/29/2021

So Bonnie has to leave early for Tammy's sober birthday but suddenly Trevor's love life is more important? Trevor really needs to learn to set boundaries with her.

I love the neighbor. "Now you are free."

It was predictable but I'm good with Andy and Jill getting back together. I want them to get a happy ending. At this point I kinda want Bonnie to be left alone. Or at least have her friends read her the riot act just once. I know it probably won't happen.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

Re the previews: Didn't a doctor tell Jill she was out of eggs some time back? 

The last I remember she found out she was perimenopausal and decided to freeze her eggs but they weren’t viable.

We’re in the home stretch so I expect magical endings like Christy going to Georgetown. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

Re the previews: Didn't a doctor tell Jill she was out of eggs some time back? 

I’m remembering they weren’t able to harvest any to freeze, but I’m not certain it they said she didn’t have any at all or if the procedure failed. I’d presume they’d confirm there were some eggs there before putting someone through all the medical treatments, but I might’ve missed something. To paraphrase Sophia Patrillo, “Don’t count on me. I’m in and out on my children’s first names.”

• LOL 5

I continue to love Martha and how she just sits outside and knows everything that is going on with Trevor. 

"Now you are free," followed by the freaky wind blowing cracked me up. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Andy, you didn't just leave Jill because you were scared - you also left her because she was stalking you.

They're cute together, and I'm not surprised that they're getting back together, but it would be nice if they addressed the major issues with Jill's behavior, instead of acting like the problem was all with him.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I hate previews.  I tried to shut off my television so fast.  I can't see the value of them, they just ruin things for me.

Good episode though.  I adore Rainn Wilson.

I totally forgot about the episode! lol.

Nice closure for Trevor, off on an adventure with a new love. Wendy and Marjorie haven't made any progress toward their endings. Maybe next week Wendy will get hit by a helicopter while Jill's waiting for the results of her pregnancy test. What am I saying? 60 seconds is too much time to waste on Wendy.

• Love 5

Bleh to Jill and Andy getting back together, but TV shows don't comprehend any other happy endings for women when wrapping up their shows, so as much as I wanted her closure to actually be closure, I braced myself for this inevitability.  And it could be worse.  But, still - yuck.

• Love 10

I liked Jill and Andy's conversation in the car, it was so mature and I am happy to see them get back together. I hope the show runners came up with something outstanding for the last 2 episodes.

• Love 15

To everyone who's unhappy about Jill and Andy, I'm sorry but are you really that surprised? The show has two episodes left, I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen. Tptb are going to give everyone a happy ending (even wendy, fingers crossed), and obviously they feel a man and a baby are Jill's. Whether that's true or not is a different argument.

And I'll put up with the ridiculousness of Bonnie's therapy because I like Trevor and I love Martha, when she beckoned Bonnie and Bonnie looked scared,I loved it.

"now you are free"😂😂😂😂

• Love 6

I am glad Andy and Jill are back together.  This is what Jill wanted a life with Andy and hopefully a child with him.  Also happy Trevor got a happy ending to his story.  I would love to see Adam and Tammy go off together.  Bonnie is not my favorite character and I found her to be more unlikeable as the seasons went on.  I don’t know what they can do for Marjorie, Wendy and Tammy, they basically were just in the background all season with an exception or two.  Anxious to see where the last two episodes go!

• Love 3

Andy, you didn't just leave Jill because you were scared - you also left her because she was stalking you.

They're cute together, and I'm not surprised that they're getting back together, but it would be nice if they addressed the major issues with Jill's behavior, instead of acting like the problem was all with him.

Eh - it was kind of both of them. Jill wasn't actually "stalking" Andy until after he said he needed a break from her. And the reason he wanted that break was because she was kind of pushing for a commitment from him. Now, you could argue she was just being too pushy and that's a fair criticism, but I also believe Andy ran scared because he was afraid of commitment.

I love Will Sasso so I'm fine with this. And I much prefer it to that fling Jill had with that ex-rocker dude. Yuck.

• Love 12
45 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Eh - it was kind of both of them. Jill wasn't actually "stalking" Andy until after he said he needed a break from her.

That's what I'm saying - he didn't actually end the relationship until she completely crossed a line. If she hadn't gone into stalker territory, they may have worked things out.

Also, the issue when they were dating wasn't just about her wanting commitment - it was about her demanding that he give her what she wanted at a moment's notice.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

What is Tammy's Happily Ever After? Her business? Not that there's anything wrong with that

I think so, and that's awesome. Tammy's a person of simple tastes, and I don't mean that as a slight. I've been a Tammy fan since day one, I love her to pieces but she's not....how shall we say.....the most sophisticated person😂. She has a business and friends and a family in her "sister" Bonnie, I think that's all she ever wanted💗

Though I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up in the walk-in freezer doing scary sexy things with chef rudy😂😂This show being what it is

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I forgot about Chef Rudy, two more episodes to throw him in the mix, but I doubt we will see a conclusion to him and Tammy.  He disappeared after the food truck episode.  Right now he is somewhere with Patty(Bonnie’s sponsee) her brother Ray and Regina.  If Jill is pregnant I hope they don’t end it with her not knowing if it’s Andy’s baby or that awful British rock guy.  They wouldn’t do that would they?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

What is Tammy's Happily Ever After? Her business? Not that there's anything wrong with that

I think so. Unlike the other women, Tammy never really cared about being in a romantic relationship or starting a family of her own. Being stable financially, having friends, and being sober are what matter most to her.

• Love 9

I am fine with this show giving its characters magical happy endings.   I like Jill and Andy together and if the actor who played Andy hadn’t gotten that unfortunate sitcom of his I think that was the plan anyway.  So having them break up because Jill needed to grow the hell up and get past that little bit of “how does this look to people I don’t give a shit  about and abandoned me a long time ago anyway” was a good story.     And I actually am ok with Jill getting magically pregnant because why the hell not?  It is what she has always wanted and I actually do think she would make a good if overprotective mother.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think so. Unlike the other women, Tammy never really cared about being in a romantic relationship or starting a family of her own. Being stable financially, having friends, and being sober are what matter most to her.

I think running her business as honestly as possible is her happy ever after - and probably having a good relationship with Bonnie who she said is like a sister to her.  

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

She like Bonnie grew up in the system and got tossed around a lot.     Having real friends who would care enough to throw her a sober birthday is her “happy ending”.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

Tammy never really cared about being in a romantic relationship or starting a family of her own.

Were they trying to portray Tammy as the same age as Bonnie, if so I never believed it, Kristen is 8 years younger than Allison and she looks it, especially this season.  If they were suppose to be the same age, Tammy would probably be too old to start a family.  

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Bleh to Jill and Andy getting back together, but TV shows don't comprehend any other happy endings for women when wrapping up their shows, so as much as I wanted her closure to actually be closure, I braced myself for this inevitability.  And it could be worse.  But, still - yuck.

I wouldn't mind Jill being with anyone else.  I hate the storyline of Jill with Andy because Jamie Pressly is an 11 and Will Sasso is like a 4 and the show has a lot of nerve pretending that Andy is way too good for Jill and Jill had to be heartbroken, feel like shit, humbled, embarrassed, and grovelling to get him back.

It felt like a Men's Rights Activist wrote their storyline.  Also, Andy is a cop while Jill is independently wealthy and successful (at what? I don't even know). She absolutely doesn't need him at all. Ugh.  The worst.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also, Andy is a cop while Jill is independently wealthy and successful (at what? I don't even know). 

Jill's money is a combination of what she inherited from her parents and her divorce. (I'm not sure if you were actually looking for answer, so here it is in case you wanted to know). 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Jill's money is a combination of what she inherited from her parents and her divorce. (I'm not sure if you were actually looking for answer, so here it is in case you wanted to know). 

Thanks!

• Love 1

I tried to forget that there are only two episodes left 😢

I loved everything about the wizard. And Alison Janney is so good at physical comedy. I had to laugh when Trevor shoved her out of his office. I like that we never got to the bottom of Marta's existence. Was she a neighbor, a patient or whatever it is that turns into a crow after delivering an ominous message!

I don't mind Jill and Andy together. The conversation in the car was great. Maybe the show ends with the wedding, the final screen being the friends all arranging for a photo - bookending the opening credits.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, LucyEth said:

If Jill is pregnant I hope they don’t end it with her not knowing if it’s Andy’s baby or that awful British rock guy.  They wouldn’t do that would they?

Oh dear god no. That’s a horrifying thought! If they had another season I can see them exploring that storyline, but with two more episodes I hope not.

• Love 1

Jill may have looks and money but there is more to life or desireability than that. Andy has his personality, which is way more mature and stable than Jill's. I don't particularly like that the show got them back together, but I don't think it's a case of her being better than him or him having nothing to offer and her being some kind of amazing catch. 

I really want a happy ending for Marjorie. The only thing I can think of might be something with her son, but that story was kind of dropped a while ago, so it would feel tacked on if they brought it back now. There's not enough time to give her a new love, and I don't really know what she wants, but she has seemed a bit sad this season. Maybe it's because of all the insults being flung in her direction lately, or maybe it's just because she hasn't really had much going on, and has mostly just been used as an under appreciated support for the others. And what have her previous stories been? Her husband dying, her having trouble financially, having an obnoxious boyfriend, one of her cats getting diabetes....

Wendy might get a surprise reveal type of ending, but it's far too late for them to do more than use it as a punchine. The show committed to never really developing her character beyond that device.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Kudos to her.  Marriage, living together is over rated. Be independent Tammy& live your life as you want❤️

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I wouldn't mind Jill being with anyone else.  I hate the storyline of Jill with Andy because Jamie Pressly is an 11 and Will Sasso is like a 4 and the show has a lot of nerve pretending that Andy is way too good for Jill and Jill had to be heartbroken, feel like shit, humbled, embarrassed, and grovelling to get him back.

It felt like a Men's Rights Activist wrote their storyline.  Also, Andy is a cop while Jill is independently wealthy and successful (at what? I don't even know). She absolutely doesn't need him at all. Ugh.  The worst.

She is not an independent woman. She “needs” a man. 
I don’t think Jill is a ten, she has a very fit body but she is not pretty at all & I like my men with  a little less weight but Andy is good looking IMO. I think the “classes” need to mingle more. If a cop and a wealthy woman( do we know how/why she is so rich?) can have a relationship that is great. Also financial independence goes a long way in a marriage if you are a woman. Too many times we feel less than & cow tow to our husbands because they bring home more bacon. As I get older I see way to many women who have never been able to be or live their true selves because they are married. Men still dominate unfortunately. 

10 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I have been watching the Third Rock from the Sun series on DVD, and love both Tammy (Sally) and Chef Rudy (Harry) in it!  How cute that they wound up together in this series!  

Me too !! Ah youth! She was gorgeous. I love  her now too. We all get older. 

• Love 2
On 4/30/2021 at 2:23 AM, Bastet said:

Yep. According to tv, A woman without a man is pitiful. It pisses me off. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Jill may have looks and money but there is more to life or desireability than that. Andy has his personality, which is way more mature and stable than Jill's. I don't particularly like that the show got them back together, but I don't think it's a case of her being better than him or him having nothing to offer and her being some kind of amazing catch. 

This!  I was never on the Jill/Andy train and was glad when he broke it off with her.  She was way too pushy regarding children.  She had been that way ever since that episode years ago when she shared about wanting to adopt "one of those Chinese babies"  (I think it was the episode where Adam first went to a meeting with Bonnie after they got together and when he heard this he commented really loud)  Jill has always made it come across as if a child would magically fix things in her life and when they didn't (her miscarriage, losing Emily) she would fall apart.  Which make me wonder just how 'recovered' she really is. Maybe with alcohol, but if anyone needs counseling for all the emotional stuff she's gone through it's Jill

So....having said all that, I'm not thrilled they've been magically put back together, but eh.....only 2 more episodes left and this season just seemed to be going through the motions just to get it over with.

Trevor's lady neighbor is gold.  She's like a sentinal guarding the courtyard

• Love 2
19 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Were they trying to portray Tammy as the same age as Bonnie, if so I never believed it, Kristen is 8 years younger than Allison and she looks it, especially this season.  If they were suppose to be the same age, Tammy would probably be too old to start a family.  

I think in the episode when they flashed back to young Tammy and young Bonnie it was implied (if not outright stated) they're supposed to be 1-2 years apart.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

do we know how/why she is so rich?

She grew up super rich.  That's why she is so out of touch with everyone else's financial realities - she has never experienced anything but wealth.

• Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Tammy as in past episodes, seems to want a boyfriend, but doesn't need a husband and due to her age, yes she is too old to have a baby of her own. I would think seeing your father kill your mother leaves a mark. Even if therapists try to say it doesn't have to.  

Episode 1: Violet 17. Christy 17 years older 34. Bonnie 16 years older 50. Now 8 seasons later Bonnie 58. 

Adam has said he is 62. so Tammy could be 56. Give or take. 

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It felt like a Men's Rights Activist wrote their storyline.

While I sadly agree that society can gear our thinking in that direction, I'd like to play devil's advocate here and turn the tables.  If an plain looking, overweight female character was partnered with a fit, gorgeous male character I think women's groups/body positivity movements would be applauding it and to refer to her as a 4 and the male character as an 11 would garner hateful comments.  I never liked that it was okay to bully or make fun of an overweight male character because 'he's a guy' yet it would be mean, cruel, hurtful and hateful to do that to a woman

I just don't like Jill's neediness whether it's with Andy, rock star guy, Trevor - heck, even Emily. 

6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Too many times we feel less than & cow tow to our husbands because they bring home more bacon. As I get older I see way to many women who have never been able to be or live their true selves because they are married. Men still dominate unfortunately. 

I guess I don't see that - not in life nor in the shows I watch.  I saw it with Bonnie and Adam - especially after his bar began doing well.  Bonnie couldn't handle him contributing to the household after that, buying her a new car, etc.  He didn't come across as 'wanting to be the main provider', but putting in his share in the relationship.  and when you're disabled, it's even more important to feel useful and productive.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
41 minutes ago, ctlady said:

While I sadly agree that society can gear our thinking in that direction, I'd like to play devil's advocate here and turn the tables.  If an plain looking, overweight female character was partnered with a fit, gorgeous male character I think women's groups/body positivity movements would be applauding it and to refer to her as a 4 and the male character as an 11 would garner hateful comments.  I never liked that it was okay to bully or make fun of an overweight male character because 'he's a guy' yet it would be mean, cruel, hurtful and hateful to do that to a woman

We live in a patriarchal society, so showing a woman who looks like Andy with a man who looks like Jill 1) would never happen, 2) I would welcome it with open arms, and 3) it would be amazing.  That's another reason why the Jill/Andy partnership bothers me.  It's so damn typical and the audience is supposed to coo over it and find it romantic.  The main reason it bothers me is that it put Jill in a very powerless position next to Andy.  Jill constantly had to try to prove herself or compromise herself for him.  Andy was posited as too good for Jill. 

It bothers me, and it feels like a straight man's wet dream.  Jaime Pressly has been a known sex symbol throughout her career.  It almost feels like the writers and producers want to take her down a peg. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, ctlady said:

If an plain looking, overweight female character was partnered with a fit, gorgeous male character

If that happened with the regularity of pairings like Jill and Andy, then the number of Jill/Andy type pairings would be great instead of annoying.  But since we don't see the reverse, hot woman with schlubby guy pairings bug me as a TV trend.  Individual relationships of that ilk I may like, as I initially did with Jill and Andy, but they ran their course and she had great closure recently; that relationship should have been something that helps her in the future based on what it made her learn about herself, not something she goes back to.

But, like I said, I knew they were going to go there, so I just hope it's handled well in the end.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If that happened with the regularity of pairings like Jill and Andy, then the number of Jill/Andy type pairings would be great instead of annoying.  But since we don't see the reverse, hot woman with schlubby guy pairings bug me as a TV trend.  Individual relationships of that ilk I may like, as I initially did with Jill and Andy, but they ran their course and she had great closure recently; that relationship should have been something that helps her in the future based on what it made her learn about herself, not something she goes back to.

But, like I said, I knew they were going to go there, so I just hope it's handled well in the end.

I remember I was thinking and thinking if this has EVER HAPPENED in pop culture.  Coming from someone who watches a lot of movies and television, I couldn't even think of one instance.  The closest thing I could think of was Melissa McCarthy and Jude Law/Jason Statham being coworkers in "Spy" (NOT lovers) and she's treated like a joke by Jude's character.  And Melissa is beautiful in my opinion, a lot better looking than Wil Sasso.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe you want to bring up the Jill/Andy story line to the four women who were involved with coming up with the story and teleplay and let them know they're men's rights activists. So what if Jill is independently wealthy and Andy is a cop. Are you implying that a woman "needs" a man to support her? Women get together with men for more than financial support these days.

While Will Sasso might not be an "11," he's not a "4." He's a big, cuddly kind of guy, and they've set him up to be a nice guy. She hurt him when she denied she was on a date with him to one of her snooty friends when they first started dating, then he was was spooked when Jill sprung a "marriage and children" talk on him and was relentless without giving him time to think about it. Then, she stalked him, so he broke up with her. She might have been heartbroken, but she wasn't humbled nor had to grovel to get him back. She made her peace and was moving on when they were held hostage in the bank robbery.

It was contrived how Andy was in the bank, because who still gets their checks from the bank? There are so many online places that print checks for cheaper and with more design options. And at her level of wealth, there's no way Jill is not sitting with a private banker away from the hoi polloi customers.

This episode is another perfect example of why I hated the therapist character. How is he not up before an ethics board? He so totally overshares with Bonnie it makes me uncomfortable, because I had a therapist once do that with him during my session. (I told him so the next session and then never went back to him.) The fact that he can't shut down one of his patient's inappropriate questioning and gives into her demands must mean he's a terrible therapist. How nice they spent one of their last episodes to give him character development and a happy ending when the most they gave Wendy is that she apparently has a joie de vivre that the others lack, for all they're "working" the 12 steps.

The next time they bring up how old Marjorie is, Marjorie should remind Bonnie that she's a great-grandmother.

I only watched the show consistently for the past few years, so if it wasn't ending in two weeks, I would give it up. I despise Bonnie and her "It's all about meeeeee" attitude and the free pass she gets from her "friends" (they're really more like enablers at this point). 

Did Bonnie or Jill ever tell Tammy why they missed her sober birthday party?

• Applause 1
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Did Bonnie or Jill ever tell Tammy why they missed her sober birthday party?

Yes it happens in the second half of the episode while they are in the bistro and Tammy is understanding about it.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Maybe you want to bring up the Jill/Andy story line to the four women who were involved with coming up with the story and teleplay and let them know they're men's rights activists.

Four women, and three men.   I would not mind bringing up considering I just did.  

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Are you implying that a woman "needs" a man to support her?

I implied the opposite, that Jill doesn't need Andy at all.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I couldn't even make it to the end of this episode. Bonnie commandeering the chair to play therapist to her therapist was the last straw. Jill hasn't done any of the work to be "rewarded" with a happy ending with a man she had been stalking, even if he was acting like and dressed like a cartoon character this episode. I think I'm finally glad the show is done if this is what they're going to put out.

• Love 4
On 4/30/2021 at 6:19 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

We live in a patriarchal society, so showing a woman who looks like Andy with a man who looks like Jill 1) would never happen, 2) I would welcome it with open arms, and 3) it would be amazing.  That's another reason why the Jill/Andy partnership bothers me.  It's so damn typical and the audience is supposed to coo over it and find it romantic.  The main reason it bothers me is that it put Jill in a very powerless position next to Andy.  Jill constantly had to try to prove herself or compromise herself for him.  Andy was posited as too good for Jill. 

It bothers me, and it feels like a straight man's wet dream.  Jaime Pressly has been a known sex symbol throughout her career.  It almost feels like the writers and producers want to take her down a peg. 

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Thank you for saying this. It is ridiculous that Andy would not be thanking his lucky stars for a woman like Jill.

Sara Jessica Parker got a lot flack for not being pretty enough for all the men she dated and she is incredibly attractive.

The fat guy with a hot wife was almost a tv trope a decade ago, it was so common but you never saw the reverse.

It did feel like they were saying that Andy is to good for Jill and she is so lucky that he got back together with her. I thought it was annoying the way she took him back so quickly and made her seem a little desperate. This man broke her heart.

• Love 3
(edited)

I can see why Jill is a catch.  The show has shown me plenty of reasons why.  I can't see why Andy is.  The show has not shown me at all.  Personality?  What personality? I remember that he's a commitment-phobe, a cop, and he wears Crocs....... ok......I remember that dinner where Jill and him were not even getting along......  He acts squirrely and like he's not really that into Jill...... ok....... great.....?   This is what beautiful women on television have to aspire to?

I would have liked Jill with the therapist, Trevor (or alone).  He's intelligent, he is overflowing with personality, he's interesting, and the characters had chemistry together.  I can totally see why Jill would be into him, and he acted a lot more interested than Andy ever did.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
59 minutes ago, qtpye said:

The fat guy with a hot wife was almost a tv trope a decade ago, it was so common but you never saw the reverse.

It was definitely more than a trope (Homer, According to Jim, King of Queens, Kevin Can Wait).  You still never see the reverse!  Maybe "Man with a Plan"?  But once again, it stars a woman who is a lot better looking than Will Sasso is.  And she and Matt LeBLanc seem to have a similar build.  

man-with-a-plan-cbs-matt-leblanc.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2