Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Cake Shock

• Start Topic

Looks like the novelist who writes the episode descriptions died from boredom.  Description to come.

Natasha is frustrated with Daisy’s constructive criticism, so she whips up a show-stopping dessert that has the guests raving and leaves Daisy speechless. Gary and Colin play blackjack croupiers for the guests. But it’s all fun and games until JL leaves Colin high and dry. Sydney gets frustrated as Gary puts the hot pursuit on Alli. But the crew really splinters when a smoke break gone wrong leads to the violent death of an innocent cake.

Airdate 04.19.2021

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

About to show my age, probably, but Alli makes me think of that of that one girl in college who always smelled like weed and was vaguely annoying but also you kinda couldn’t hate her.  Or maybe that was just actually that one girl I went to college with?

Did Natasha try to deny she’d made the over easy eggs wrong?  I didn’t understand what was going on there.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

This Gary - Sydney - Alli thing gets more annoying every week.  The restaurant whining was really over the top.  "I'm prettier than her!"  LOL!

Colin is the smartest one there.

JL and Dani make a cute couple.  His Mom seems sweet.  Wasn't he anchor watching?  Is the bridge supposed to always be attended?

I'd like to see JL break Gary in half.  So he wants Daisy to keep Dani from JL, while he is constantly drooling over Alli.  All this finger pointing over who's doing what is tedious.

We may get some fireworks yet.

I'm sorry Natasha, if you don't know what an over EZ egg is you have no business calling yourself a chef.

I hope the van   driver was wearing a mask.

The smoke break whining was soooo High School.  Oy!  It's bad when Alli is the voice of reason.

The cake was awesome!

ETA:  Natasha was amazingly repentant on WWHL.  Said she was wrong many times and is changing her attitude.  Wow!

Edited by PaperTree
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

Sydney is a delusional one, lmao. I honestly don’t find her very attractive but she sure thinks she’s amazing and likes to tell everyone in earshot. How did Daisy sit there and listen to that?  “I know I’m the better catch/better looking”. To WHO?? 

When she had her one nighter with Gary she was telling HIM that she’s the most attractive girl on the boat. He was like, “uhhh..”. She sure needs to announce her “beauty” a lot. She is beyond cringe-worthy. In every single aspect. I hope we don’t have to see her naked anymore. 

JL and Dani are so cute together! 

• Love 15

People keep coming for Natasha's eggs. At least she's not serving canned crabs, and microwaved nachos like Mila did on Med. I guess only Rachel, Ben and Adam are allowed to have attitudes? 

I get why Natasha destroyed the cake. In our culture it's down right disrespectful to just leave the dinner table for an extended period of time ,without regard for anyone else. I'm guessing it's the same in the Brazilian culture, since Dani was also angry. She should have done what our parents or friends would do, only cut for the people at the table and send the rest back. Obviously you're not hungry.

Yes Daisy you are a gossip. Dani isn't pulling that out of thin air, you like to talk about people behind their backs. You also love embarrassing people in front of the Captain,  which is why Gary and Natasha don't like you.

Edited by spunky
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think the Chef VS Chief Stew drama is all scripted because Natasha is on Andy Cohen talking pretty nicely about Daisy. 

And the Dani bit tonight, when she got fired up at dinner...I think that too was scripted a bit. 

And, no, Sydney you are NOT the hottest. Not even close. Speaking of, Natasha looked really good on Andy Cohen and she had a giant rock on her ring finger.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I’m really disliking Natasha. That “live dessert” performance looked disgusting! Was everyone supposed to applaud because she splattered some chocolate and fruit on a tablecloth?  The over easy egg screw up was completely her fault and yet she blamed Daisy for bringing the plate back.  Daisy seems competent, nice and very laid back compared to other Chief Stews.  

Sydney’s desperation reminds me of Jess from the other BD.  She just might go full on psycho before the season ends. That may inject some life into the show. 

• Love 21

My daughter referred to it tonight as Below Boring.  

I thought Sydney did look nice going out on tonight's episode but she is just a stalker. 

I don't like Gary but the difference between him and JL is that he does his job and JL does not.  

• Love 12

When the crew went to the restaurant, that food looked amazing.

No performance art needed, just here are mussels, a huge lobster, and fish.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, nytonc said:

I’m really disliking Natasha. That “live dessert” performance looked disgusting! Was everyone supposed to applaud because she splattered some chocolate and fruit on a tablecloth?  The over easy egg screw up was completely her fault and yet she blamed Daisy for bringing the plate back.  Daisy seems competent, nice and very laid back compared to other Chief Stews.  

Sydney’s desperation reminds me of Jess from the other BD.  She just might go full on psycho before the season ends. That may inject some life into the show. 

OMG, that dessert thing was embarrassing to watch, minutes before the guests disembark she does that? Were there random blueberries scattered around the table with a half a dozen shot glasses with some chocolate in them? What was that? Capt. Lee would have had something clever to say about that ill timed, odd choice of Jackson Pollack dessert performance crap.

As of last night I still could not tell you which blonde is which, they all have annoying voices and personalities, the fighting among them makes no sense, Natasha is horrible in the kitchen and out,  I do not understand why anyone gets excited by the likes of Gary, JL or whom ever, Capt. Glenn is almost not even on the show, we see more footage of him sleeping then awake...the guests are boring, I am taking this off of my DVR series recording.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, RoxiP said:

My daughter referred to it tonight as Below Boring.  

I thought Sydney did look nice going out on tonight's episode but she is just a stalker. 

I don't like Gary but the difference between him and JL is that he does his job and JL does not.  

Below Boring, ha ha!

I have to disagree about Gary doing his job, unless his job involves watching Alli in the laundry.  Maybe ten percent of the time he's working - if that.  He takes a lot of smoke breaks and shadows Alli to remind her how much he likes her.  The only time he really appears to work is if/when they're docking, unless it's the editing monkeys.  

I'm undecided on whether JL is just plain lazy or has had no real direction and isn't the type to ask.  Gary knew JL was "green," so part of Gary's job is to teach him.  I don't understand why the person on anchor/night watch is now supposedly responsible for doing all this cleaning on deck.  We've never seen that before on Original Recipe BD or Med.  I mean, what is the rest of the deck crew doing all day?  

Pretty rich of Sydney to complain about the state of the deck after she, Gary and Alli left the place in a mess and it looked like it was JL who got up and cleaned up after them.  I wouldn't have.  Let the three inconsiderate drunks who messed it up get up and clean it.  

Sydney, the naked boat baby, is not only a stalker but completely delusional.  The better catch?  Better looking?  Gorgeous?   Um.  Okay.  Exactly how is Gary such a catch?  Frankly, I think Gary and Alli deserve each other.  They're both assholes.  Even if Daisy is correct in that Alli has no real feelings for Gary and is just flirting and having fun, Alli knows that Sydney does have some very stalkerish, unhealthy feelings for Gary so Alli should back off.  Bad enough that Sydney is your coworker but they share a cabin too, so come on, Alli.  

I'm with Dani and Natasha that the 20-minute smoke break was rude, particularly when dinner was being held.  Five minutes is one thing, no different than someone getting up to hit the restrooms but 20 minutes?  And then the gossiping is denied when that's all the smoking group did.   

Overall, I think Daisy is a fairly good chief stew, although I do agree with whoever suggested it that she gives Alli special attention or favoritism.  They do seem to be gossiping and chatting a lot while Dani, I assume, is working.  Aren't they now halfway through their charter season?  So shouldn't Alli, at this point and using BD logic, be able to work nights if necessary?  

I like Captain Glenn but I really wish he would sit down with this group and basically tell them he doesn't give an eff what their personal issues are or anything else.  They are there to do a job, so effing do it.  

Finally, I do like Dani and JL together; they're cute.  And I hope Sydney goes full on psycho to Gary because I enjoy seeing him squirm.   

• Love 13

I forgot to look for timestamps later on, but Dani and Natasha were already fussing a lot about the smokers being away at the same time a caption said "5 minutes into smoke break."  (that was the first one, pre-main course).  

Natasha has expressed such dislike for Daisy all the time--behind her back and to her face--that I wouldn't blame Daisy for thinking that Natasha would be relieved to have her step away from the table for a bit.  

If I were a guest and was promised a chocolatey extravaganza, I'd be so upset that I had to lean over a table, possibly getting my clothes dirty and my hands sticky, to scrape sauce off the paper and pick up individual blueberries or whatever here and there.  Just so wasteful, also!  

• Love 17

I mean, there's a subjectivity scale, but even if Dani is a far far far better personality, I personally would say Sydney is the most attractive female on the boat currently.  YMMV, etc.  To be clear, it's not an excuse for her fascination with GARY, for god's sake.  Yikes. That dude is short and greasy and annoying, empirically.

Dani was pretty nice on WWL talking about Jean-Luc, but even she knows he's a tall, pleasant fuckboy.  And he has no work ethic at all.

I love Glenn, we all love Glenn; but the editors have made him seen a bit too hands-off this charter.  There IS a boss on board, and he needs to care in my opinion a WEEEEEEE bit more about his staff, etc.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 12

Does Natasha have something against vegetables?  That dinner full of white food reminded me of my college roommates and their diet of oatmeal and poached chicken breasts (they were all they knew how to cook).  That lobster looked pitiful, and the risotto was seized up.  I don’t care that it had truffle oil on it, ugh.  

What was the story with the guests though...were the guys couples and the “wife” was the doctor’s beard?  Not to mention, I’d be pretty upset if I heard my doctor took a vacation to Croatia during a pandemic.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, MartyQui said:

Does Natasha have something against vegetables?  That dinner full of white food

I can make a better breakfast with eggs, and other than the crime scene she did on plates her food doesn't seem that interesting.

I'll have to differ with Lassus though as I think Natasha is the prettiest woman on the boat.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, MartyQui said:

Does Natasha have something against vegetables?  That dinner full of white food reminded me of my college roommates and their diet of oatmeal and poached chicken breasts (they were all they knew how to cook).  That lobster looked pitiful, and the risotto was seized up.  I don’t care that it had truffle oil on it, ugh.  

What was the story with the guests though...were the guys couples and the “wife” was the doctor’s beard?  Not to mention, I’d be pretty upset if I heard my doctor took a vacation to Croatia during a pandemic.

I have said this since day one, a lonely scrambled egg on a large plate looks sad and most of all not luxury yacht food, that is something she should have put in a bowl they could serve themselves, she does not understand the concept of "abundance" making the plates look full and sumptuous.  We have yet to see beautiful garnishes or even a beautiful platter of fruit at breakfast time, she is limited in her presentation.  Cut to the table full of sauces with random berries and shot glasses, the guests supposed to eat that how?

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have said this since day one, a lonely scrambled egg on a large plate looks sad and most of all not luxury yacht food, that is something she should have put in a bowl they could serve themselves, she does not understand the concept of "abundance" making the plates look full and sumptuous.  We have yet to see beautiful garnishes or even a beautiful platter of fruit at breakfast time, she is limited in her presentation.  Cut to the table full of sauces with random berries and shot glasses, the guests supposed to eat that how?

I would want something not easy to make myself. A bowl of cut up fruit qualifies as fussy to me. You better do something amazing with eggs if you are serving me eggs. The warm heel of freshly made bread with Irish butter will have me elbowing you out of the way.

Just now, Lassus said:

Naked sushi!

(I kid, I kid.)

Sushi yes, naked no. :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Finally, I do like Dani and JL together; they're cute.  And I hope Sydney goes full on psycho to Gary because I enjoy seeing him squirm.   

I also enjoy seeing him squirm. And I don't actually think he has done Sydney wrong-he is annoying, but he told her right away it was a one night thing and then talked with her again after she jumped in his bed. But something about his hair with how he wears his hat (superficial I know) just makes me want to see running from Syndey.

And I think Syndey is very pretty, but her attitude distracts me from her attractiveness. I want to think it is her age that makes her such a "pick me chick", but I hate that look on women. (I am a woman and I 100% did that in my early 20s) But I have never in my life seen someone so dedicated to staying up to prevent two people from hooking up.

I used to smoke (3 years and counting smoke-free but I LOVED it) and I always smoked between the main course and dessert at restaurants. 5 minutes tops. And no one ever waited for me-and I would never have expected them to.

Re: Dani and JL:

Spoiler

This is very very much an unsourced rumor on the internet, but there is a picture going around of Dani, possibly pregnant, at the medspa she works at. And the rumor is JL is the dad and he wants nothing to do with the baby. But again-rampant gossip.

• Love 6

I think Dani is waaay prettier than Sydney, just my opinion of course. Sydney’s desperation and stalking make her looks plummet even more. Her white hair is always ratty too. She looks dirty. 

Dani was on WWHL last night and there wasn’t a whisper about pregnancy. 

• Love 13
15 hours ago, spunky said:

I get why Natasha destroyed the cake. In our culture it's down right disrespectful to just leave the dinner table for an extended period of time ,without regard for anyone else. I'm guessing it's the same in the Brazilian culture, since Dani was also angry. She should have done what our parents or friends would do, only cut for the people at the table and send the rest back. Obviously you're not hungry.

It did become rude that they were away from the table as long as they were - though Natasha and Dani started being mad almost immediately - but I also think that some of this is because it's a covid season. Both for legitimate "real" reasons: they're on top of each other on the boat and with covid cannot get away from each other even when they're not working. And for production reasons: they need the crew to break off into subgroups to have these kinds of conversations, otherwise there is just no drama. If they all sit and happily have a "family" dinner together? Where's the drama in that (unless you have drunk Rachel sitting there). Even if a argument does develop at the table, it's still a pretty static filming scene. 

I believe in the reality of them getting annoyed with one another because, due to covid, they're together ALL THE TIME. I also believe that production urges certain scenarios/groupings in order to have the kind of gossiping they need to create tension and interpersonal conflicts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

It did become rude that they were away from the table as long as they were - though Natasha and Dani started being mad almost immediately - but I also think that some of this is because it's a covid season. Both for legitimate "real" reasons: they're on top of each other on the boat and with covid cannot get away from each other even when they're not working. And for production reasons: they need the crew to break off into subgroups to have these kinds of conversations, otherwise there is just no drama. If they all sit and happily have a "family" dinner together? Where's the drama in that (unless you have drunk Rachel sitting there). Even if a argument does develop at the table, it's still a pretty static filming scene. 

I believe in the reality of them getting annoyed with one another because, due to covid, they're together ALL THE TIME. I also believe that production urges certain scenarios/groupings in order to have the kind of gossiping they need to create tension and interpersonal conflicts.

I agree, Covid frustration is a real thing.  Of course Production is going to add fuel to any existing fire, so that they can have "authentic" drama. I remember both Joao and Anastasia saying that production forces them to go out. For example when he was sick.

• Love 1

Guess using guest cabins to have sex is not a real big deal as they made it out to be on BDM.

this episode was the second couple to bang in the guest cabins?

is there going to be fallout again if they leave the cabin dirty?

JL sent a pic of him and Dani dressed up and cleaned up.  When would they have had a chance to take that pic?

I’d say Dani is the best-looking though the tattoos are hideous and the very bright and dark dye job is not that appealing.  She seems to have gotten rid of that look in the WWHL appearance.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Lassus said:

I mean, there's a subjectivity scale, but even if Dani is a far far far better personality, I personally would say Sydney is the most attractive female on the boat currently.  YMMV, etc.  To be clear, it's not an excuse for her fascination with GARY, for god's sake.  Yikes. That dude is short and greasy and annoying, empirically.

Dani was pretty nice on WWL talking about Jean-Luc, but even she knows he's a tall, pleasant fuckboy.  And he has no work ethic at all.

I love Glenn, we all love Glenn; but the editors have made him seen a bit too hands-off this charter.  There IS a boss on board, and he needs to care in my opinion a WEEEEEEE bit more about his staff, etc.

Respectfully disagree about Sydney being the most attractive.  I find her the least attractive physically.  She has more of a cute look, I guess, but her features seem verging on the masculine to me.  I don't like the tattoos that Alli and Dani have, JMO.  But I find them both far more attractive than Sydney (and not meaning personality.)  

I too thought Dani came across very well on WWHL.  I think she pointed out that she just turned 33 and she's thinking of a serious relationship/marriage and having a family, whereas someone like JL, who's 24, probably isn't.  At least that's what I got from what she said.  

2 hours ago, jmcd44 said:

I also enjoy seeing him squirm. And I don't actually think he has done Sydney wrong-he is annoying, but he told her right away it was a one night thing and then talked with her again after she jumped in his bed. But something about his hair with how he wears his hat (superficial I know) just makes me want to see running from Syndey.

And I think Syndey is very pretty, but her attitude distracts me from her attractiveness. I want to think it is her age that makes her such a "pick me chick", but I hate that look on women. (I am a woman and I 100% did that in my early 20s) But I have never in my life seen someone so dedicated to staying up to prevent two people from hooking up.

I used to smoke (3 years and counting smoke-free but I LOVED it) and I always smoked between the main course and dessert at restaurants. 5 minutes tops. And no one ever waited for me-and I would never have expected them to.

Re: Dani and JL:

Reveal spoiler

This is very very much an unsourced rumor on the internet, but there is a picture going around of Dani, possibly pregnant, at the medspa she works at. And the rumor is JL is the dad and he wants nothing to do with the baby. But again-rampant gossip.

Gary is a Class A douche but he was upfront with Sydney.  He told her right away that it was a one-night stand and it wasn't going to be a charter-long thing (so certainly not moving to Florida and working with Sydney and having a family or whatever other delusional she puked up last week).   His mistake was hooking up with his deckhand, period.  And especially on day one.    So now he pretty much deserves whatever he gets.   And I stand by my comment above that Alli is just as much an asshole as he is if she's watching this unfold and she's still participating.   Honestly, if Daisy is right and Alli is not serious about Gary, she's an even bigger asshole than I've given her credit for.  I mean , we know Sydney is nuts but she's obviously run around and written her name with Gary's on a heart everywhere she can find so Alli should back off.  All of them have only known each other for three weeks, for heaven's sake, and they have three weeks or so to go before they go their separate ways.    

And why did Alli make that comment about if all Sydney and Gary did was kiss it's no big deal or something like that?  If memory serves, Sydney told Daisy and Alli when returning to their cabin that she and Gary boned.  Sure, they may not have kissed but they did the deed.  So Alli shouldn't want to go there at all.  It's GARY.  I don't get it.

Sydney proved how immature she actually is (I mean, besides the stalking and psycho shit) by claiming she doesn't need boys to be happy.  First, we know she's lying.  And secondly, you're something like 25, right?  You should be with men, not boys.   Anyhow, Sydney clearly places her self-worth and value on whatever guy (we'll say that) she's with.   And the bar is obviously set low for her to be obsessing over GARY.

Honestly, I feel sorry for Colin getting woken up every time a drunk Sydney knocks on their door and crawls into bed with Gary.  

• Love 14
2 hours ago, nokat said:

The warm heel of freshly made bread with Irish butter will have me elbowing you out of the way.

2 hours ago, Lassus said:

Warm bread is the best, really.  A good fresh roll is better than dessert for me.

On the BD shows we have seen big thick slices of French toast, waffles, pancakes, crepes,  yogurt parfaits, Natasha has not offered anything but poorly executed eggs and muffins.  

• Love 10
17 hours ago, PaperTree said:

I'm sorry Natasha, if you don't know what an over EZ egg is you have no business calling yourself a chef.

There was a story about the pleats in the a chef's touque, they earned the pleats by learning (in school), how to cook eggs many different ways, each pleat for each style, if that is the case then Natasha should be wearing baseball cap.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Warm bread is the best, really.  A good fresh roll is better than dessert for me.

On the BD shows we have seen big thick slices of French toast, waffles, pancakes, crepes,  yogurt parfaits, Natasha has not offered anything but poorly executed eggs and muffins.  

To be fair, the muffins and coffee cake looked good when everyone just wanted eggs and toast. I have a favorite muffin that I haven't seen since covid.  Rye flour and oats, with grape juice for sweetness and some berries.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I too thought Dani came across very well on WWHL.  I think she pointed out that she just turned 33 and she's thinking of a serious relationship/marriage and having a family, whereas someone like JL, who's 24, probably isn't.

I think she said that in a talking head, not on WWHL.  (Not to dispute she came across well on WWHL, which she did.)

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, jmcd44 said:

Congrats on being smoke free! That's awesome!

However, it's polite to wait until everyone is at the table before anyone starts eating. I don't think the restaurant was serving the food until everyone was present but even if not, it seems clear that Dani and Natasha were not comfortable eating until everyone was at the table. 

I agree with Allie, a simple, "Hey guys, come back to the table!" in a lighthearted voice would have been the best approach. But by the time Dani, Natasha, and Sidney called to the smokers, they weren't feeling lighthearted. 

Speaking of Sidney, she has never looked prettier than this night. However even at her absolute most gorgeous she couldn't capture Gary's attention. I can't believe it when I hear her say she doesn't know where she stands with Gary. WTF girl! He's told you that you are friends. You see him actively pursuing Allie. He touches Allie, he finds a way to be close to her. Open your eyes Sidney and see what is obvious to anyone watching. He's really into Allie. 

I think everyone on this crew (except Gary) is very good looking. But I think Allie has an earthy, sensuous beauty that is fairly rare in this world. 
Sidney's behavior back on the boat was mean and weak. She tried to drive a wedge between her team (deck crew) and the interior. That ain't the way to show leadership and despite that she just said she wants to represent women well in the industry, she exhibited the tired trope that women can't work together. 

Jean Luc is an idiot. Sidney spoke to him in a neutral tone of voice telling him he was late to be on deck and he wants a nicer tone? Up yours! He complains that he's woken up, he complains that he can't work until the guests go down, he complains that Sidney's tone wasn't pleasant when he's late on deck. There are probably more but he certainly sees himself as entitled to some special, coddling treatment!

I enjoy all the Below Deck iterations and one thing I've learned is that these crew work HARD! They work long hours and the work is often physically demanding, and if not physically demanding then boring as hell (all day and all night laundry anyone?). Add in they can't play music due to licensing concerns and I think you've got a challenging workplace. Almost everyone on board realizes this and most just put their heads down and work harder. Not JL! He complains then goes to eat.

My initial impression of Colin (gossip monger and shit stirrer) has completely turned around. 

Spoiler

If it's true that Dani is pregnant with JL's child I'm so sorry for her. She has bought herself a lifetime of dealing with man-baby JL. It's clear to me that he has a lot of growing up to do and do that while supporting a baby/child who is growing up too, well I don't think that will be great for Dani. She will have to deal with two babies.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

I agree with Allie, a simple, "Hey guys, come back to the table!" in a lighthearted voice would have been the best approach.

"The food's here!"  They were maybe 15 feet away with the camera crew hovering over them.

• Love 4

If the smokers can’t make it through the meal, what did they do when smoking was allowed? I picture them with a cigarette in one hand and a fork in the other. Take a bite, take a drag off your cigarette... fucking gross!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Jobiska said:

I forgot to look for timestamps later on, but Dani and Natasha were already fussing a lot about the smokers being away at the same time a caption said "5 minutes into smoke break."  (that was the first one, pre-main course).  

Natasha has expressed such dislike for Daisy all the time--behind her back and to her face--that I wouldn't blame Daisy for thinking that Natasha would be relieved to have her step away from the table for a bit.  

If I were a guest and was promised a chocolatey extravaganza, I'd be so upset that I had to lean over a table, possibly getting my clothes dirty and my hands sticky, to scrape sauce off the paper and pick up individual blueberries or whatever here and there.  Just so wasteful, also!  

So Natasha can manage to smear chocolate and crap all over a table, literally as the guests are walking off the boat, but she couldn't be bothered tp serve up ice cream cones the charter before. She really does suck. I did find Glen's faces amusing as he was watching the whole mess unfold though. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
54 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

If the smokers can’t make it through the meal, what did they do when smoking was allowed? I picture them with a cigarette in one hand and a fork in the other. Take a bite, take a drag off your cigarette... fucking gross!

Gross indeed, and I'm old enough to remember smoking allowed in restaurants. The cookies from a smoker's house, blegh. You could get the same taste by licking an ashtray.

• Love 5

What has this show become-- the boyfriend/girlfriend show?! I feel like I'm watching a show made to attract 9th graders! I don't care one bit about who Gary (ugh) flirts with or which girl is prettier or that JL and what's her name 'do it' all giggly in one of the guest cabins.  I want vacation porn! I want food that looks like what you'd get on an expensive chartered yacht!  I want fancy clothed guests and also how about interesting guests!  I want them to go somewhere safe on land so I can see the beauty that is Croatia!

I'll tell you, this is the very first time in all of my watching every show of every season of Below Deck, Below Deck Med, and Below Deck Sailing Yacht that I've fast forwarded most of the scenes and skipped 3/4 of the way in to the end.  That makes me so sad because I love these shows.  Life is dreary enough, give us something other than grownups giggling together over who kissed who or who's sleeping with who or who is being rude on the dinner by smoking too long.  Bored with this.  And don't like Glen-- he's too weak to keep all these losers in line.

Edited by stcroix
spelling
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, stcroix said:

What has this show become-- the boyfriend/girlfriend show?! I feel like I'm watching a show made to attrack 9th graders! I don't care one bit about who Gary (ugh) flirts with or which girl is prettier or that JL and what's her name 'do it' all giggly in one of the guest cabins.  I want vacation porn! I want food that looks like what you'd get on an expensive chartered yacht!  I want fancy clothed guests and also how about interesting guests!  I want them to go somewhere safe on land so I can see the beauty that is Croatia!

I'll tell you, this is the very first time in all of my watching every show of every season of Below Deck, Below Deck Med, and Below Deck Sailing Yacht that I've fast forwarded most of the scenes and skipped 3/4 of the way in to the end.  That makes me so sad because I love these shows.  Life is dreary enough, give us something other than grownups giggling together over who kissed who or who's sleeping with who or who is being rude on the dinner by smoking too long.  Bored with this.  And don't like Glen-- he's too weak to keep all these losers in line.

You're preaching to the choir here, because I want vacation/food porn. I realize they couldn't show us much vacation porn, and for food porn I watch Top Chef. As for life being dreary, I agree that I want to see something more fun than who is kissing whom.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, nokat said:

You're preaching to the choir here, because I want vacation/food porn. I realize they couldn't show us much vacation porn, and for food porn I watch Top Chef. As for life being dreary, I agree that I want to see something more fun than who is kissing whom.

I agree as well. I could write three paragraphs on watching eggs boil (hence my previous post) but after the show ended last night I said out loud, “That was a bore”

*sigh* 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, lcarolynl said:

I agree as well. I could write three paragraphs on watching eggs boil (hence my previous post) but after the show ended last night I said out loud, “That was a bore”

*sigh* 

You know how you sometimes want brainless entertainment, and afterwards you think "well not that brainless?" That's this show.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5

Ohhh...Daisy, honey, it's not "the irony is palpitating"- I think you meant that the irony is PALPABLE. And saying "humble pie" repeatedly is annoying.  If Natasha is supposed to be "humbled," it'll be at the cost of everyone's tip. I think a lot of confidence in your job skills is actually a good thing! I know there have been a few snafus but all-in-all, I think chef is delivering.  I just cringed on the dessert at the end with "artistic" presentation.  It reminded me of a kitschy Carnival cruise type situation (not that there's anything wrong with my Carnival cruises) but it's up there with "a tour of the engine room" type of filler stuff. I find it tacky for a chartered yacht. Also cringeworthy was that everyone has to be licking off of this giant placemat during A PANDEMIC! Covid only mildly seems to exist in this season. I don't like a false type of narrative that's not in line with the fear, paranoia & severity of the times. It's not entertaining to watch but I sort of would like to be privy to how crews and guests worked around the situation.  In the vans, they had masks on, then off, then on, whenever they felt like it. It was so arbitrary.  🤷‍♀️

Sydney, the desperation is PALPABLE watching you have palpitations any time Alli gets within a few yards of Gary. 😉

What's more is Alli doesn't seem very phased by drunk Sydney's berating. Better looking? More fit? A better match on paper?! Hm...I don't know about all that? Gary is gross anyway. 

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 10
19 hours ago, MartyQui said:

Does Natasha have something against vegetables?

I noticed that as well. She kept putting out courses of "a lump of risotto," "a lobster tail," with nothing else! Now maybe on a tiny plate it wouldn't have looked so ridiculous, but to me it was simply unfinished.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Also cringeworthy was that everyone has to be licking off of this giant placemat

Wait, were the guests supposed to lick the dessert off of the tablecloths?  Maybe I blanked out during that scene but I would like to know what culinary institute teaches that?  

I have no doubt that Natasha has in the past created a spun sugar dessert or two and I have no doubt that she has made some elements of a beautifully plated dinner but she is ill suited for her being a solo chef on a yacht.  If 6 guests want steaks cooked to different degrees any chef should be able to figure out the more well done choice would go on the grill first vs. the request for a rare would go last.  If a guest wants a fried egg and you make scrambled eggs you have to accept it was your error, if a guest requests something and Natasha was unsure how to execute it couldn't Natasha Google it?  

Natasha refuses to listen to the person that has the most contact with the guests, she is pig headed.

I think we are seeing Natasha's 15 minutes of fame, one and done...she is no Chef Ben.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Wait, were the guests supposed to lick the dessert off of the tablecloths?

Well no but definitely they ate it off the mat with spoons. Spoons that go in your mouth then out then back in again which I consider the same as licking off a community mat. I'm very picky & grossed out by double dipping or any kind of situation where someone somehow puts their saliva near an area I'm supposed to get food from. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5