Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/01/2021

TheView
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
3 hours ago, falltime said:

LoL @ those "mean" tweets Sara read in the intern segment. Did they not let her read actual mean ones.

They weren't read as "mean' tweets, but Sara was reading the "flak" the journalist was getting, and the language and tone were really off putting.

Ok, she didn't say mean but she did say hate and attack. I don't view pointing out someone's privilege as an attack. If the info I read about the her is correct - she has stated that her grandfather paid for her schooling.

There were plenty of not rude comments in her post.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Was I the only one who thought Whoopi was confusing internships with apprenticeships?  

I don't know.  There are some differences, I suppose for some industries, there are apprenticeships, which is getting training in the field, and internships is learning about the field. But it's not either or, and they can blur. Like Journalism for example, the internship wasn't just learning, but I also got training.

But I suppose for Whoopi's field--acting, hers would have been an apprenticeship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It pissed me off that the  hosts were discussing the Dr Seuss books as if they were banned.  That didn't happen.

What actually happened was that, after realization that there were some racist depictions, dr seuss books are not being included in the "read across America" reading incentive program. And, the company that publishes the books (Seuss Enterprises)  decided to stop publishing the 6 books that had objectionable content.

Nobody is banning, nobody is censoring. Its like the muppets topic from last week, and the potato head story. It's overblown into a story that has a grain of truth, but a gross misrepresentation of reality.

• Useful 3
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Nobody is banning, nobody is censoring. Its like the muppets topic from last week, and the potato head story. It's overblown into a story that has a grain of truth, but a gross misrepresentation of reality.

That's what The View does.  The jewel in the crown of ABC News obfuscates, muddles, misinforms and disinforms all the time.  These five intrepid journalists and their apprentice journalist Greta Monaghan always deliver.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

This is a subject that comes up annually on Geisel's birthday.  It's Seuss Enterprises that decided to quit publication.  They have the right to do whatever they want with the material.  Tink is right, there is no banning or censoring involved.

With the preview of today's show I realized I do know who the Williams twins are.  We've all seen that video of them listening to Phil Collins.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

That's what The View does.  The jewel in the crown of ABC News obfuscates, muddles, misinforms and disinforms all the time.  These five intrepid journalists and their apprentice journalist Greta Monaghan always deliver.

I wonder if they still use that three am guy. The View employee who's  job it was to gather the hot topics for the day.  When they discuss a topic like the Dr Seuss books they seem to fall for the click bait headlines without actually reading the story. Since they fall under the ABC News umbrella shouldn't they have to at the very least make sure what they say is true?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

It pissed me off that the  hosts were discussing the Dr Seuss books as if they were banned.  That didn't happen.

What actually happened was that, after realization that there were some racist depictions, dr seuss books are not being included in the "read across America" reading incentive program. And, the company that publishes the books (Seuss Enterprises)  decided to stop publishing the 6 books that had objectionable content.

Seriously. And I apologize if my comments added to the misinformation. But everyone is jumping on the same bandwagon--Colbert, some guy at the Washington Post. What I've heard and read seems and sounds like they're for erasing what is part of our history because it was a shameful part. I think that's wrong. The good, bad, and ugly should be there--as Joy said--it's a teachable moment; not something that would make it acceptable.

I know this is a bad example, but for the Golden Collection of the Loony Tunes, Whoopi was shown to introduce some of the shorts, and she explained how some of the shorts were racist, but made during a period of time, when that's how things were done, or something like that. (it's early, I'm cranky because I'm hitting brick wall after brick wall on a personal matter). So the...disclaimer is there. I'm not a fan of those and yep, I skip them. But I love and adore Bugs Bunny and so I have them and I watch them!

And I don't know about the thing with Mr. Potato Head except that Hasbro has decided to make him gender neutral? All I remember from my childhood that there was a Mr. Potato Head and a Mrs. Potato Head! But Hasbro is a private company, just like the Seuss estate and can do what they want.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

This is a subject that comes up annually on Geisel's birthday.  It's Seuss Enterprises that decided to quit publication.  They have the right to do whatever they want with the material.  Tink is right, there is no banning or censoring involved.

With the preview of today's show I realized I do know who the Williams twins are.  We've all seen that video of them listening to Phil Collins.

Oh man, I love them!

• Love 2

What is Sarah wearing and why do they hate her? As others were saying, she’s a pretty woman with great arms and looks good in most clothing. Why put all these fluffy doilies on her. They dressed her like a 90 year old today. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

Meg, if you’re unclear about the CDC messaging, do your homework. I’m fully vaxxed and I know what is still expected, including not going to dinner parties yet.

Or she can move to TX. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 20
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Meg, if you’re unclear about the CDC messaging, do your homework. I’m fully vaxxed and I know what is still expected, including not going to dinner parties yet. 

Ugh, really!  She did not use Dr. Fauci's name, but she continues to complain about the CDC, and complain about what she can NOT do!  Oh poor Megan!

• Love 10

I get what Sunny is saying, but I won't be taking a vaccine from Johnson & Johnson. Their history with women, especially women of colour, and how they treated people seeking justice against them just turned me off from them.....

Granted, I'm in an age group that is low on the list of getting the vaccine so by the time it reaches me there will be more options.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Or she can move to TX. 

It was interesting that Meghan did not get to comment on that topic - Whoopi went to commercial in the middle of the that discussion and then, they jumped right into Taylor Swift tweeting about a Netflix show.  

I would have much rather heard Meghan's opinions on Texas reopening/no mask mandate than on slut-shaming in a movie because of a tweet from a popstar.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 5

Oh Boo Hoo Megan!  She is so upset that all the Media criticism of the show is directed towards HER!  She has to remind us that she is the ONLY Conservative voice on the show & so she gets lots of Hate.  Plus, she hates the word "Slut" 

• Love 15

Her remarks about the Taylor Swift brouhaha were weird. She sounds so personally offended!  And somehow it became about her being criticized on social media. Did you notice everyone else trying to hold back laughter as she huffed and puffed?

• LOL 8
  • Love 9

Poor Meghan is confused.  Most of the media criticism isn’t of the show, dear; it’s of you!  And leave it to her to get all surly with Sara on the Taylor Swift topic.  Everything is personal for her.  The last two days without her were such a relief.  Now off to see how she tries to “filet” Secretary Granholm. 😂

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh Boo Hoo Megan!  She is so upset that all the Media criticism of the show is directed towards HER!  She has to remind us that she is the ONLY Conservative voice on the show & so she gets lots of Hate.  Plus, she hates the word "Slut" 

Just now, Haleth said:

Her remarks about the Taylor Swift brouhaha were weird. She sounds so personally offended!  And somehow it became about her being criticized on social media. Did you notice everyone else trying to hold back laughter as she huffed and puffed?

Methinks the lady doth protest too much!!  

Whoopi cut to commercial when she was snapping back at Sara - I think Meghan thought that Sara was calling her a slut for dating a lot of guys.  Just makes you wonder if there may have been a situation like this in her past.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

With the Taylor topic, I thought the joke was an old one especially since Taylor had been with one person for awhile now. However, I don't know if Meghan mentioning Britney made sense here. Despite how Taylor is now, she made it her brand to talk about her relationships. Leaving easter eggs and what not for fans do they can speculate. It was great PR and got her name everywhere.

She has calmed down since then, which is why it's a dumb joke, but it isn't really a case of the media hounding her about her relationships.

• Love 6
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Did you notice how she dismissed Sara and was condescending, she really hates her.   

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Did Meghan say dating means having sex?  

Apparently Meghan was a slut, sleeping with guys on the first date (probably in a JD stupor), which is why she took it personally 🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Apparently Meghan was a slut, sleeping with guys on the first date (probably in a JD stupor), which is why she took it personally 🙄

Exactly! hit dogs holler, she was hollering and had an attitude.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Before she became a pearl clutcher Meghan used to be all about sex. Saying she was strictly dickly.  She wrote a book with the word sex in the title.  She has previously talked about dating a lot of men.  So if she is saying dating means sex then yeah she slept with a lot of men.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I thought they were laughing because Meghan said the EP reminds them daily of the Time cover. 

• Love 1
(edited)

McCain clearly got a paddling from ABC for adding to the mistrust of doctors in the middle of a pandemic when they most need to be listened to for people’s welfare; I didn’t think that until her first day back she decided to remind us what a VICTIM she is. They didn’t even finish letting everyone speak on the topic about Mississippi and Texas, because talking about Taylor Swift and setting up McCain's whining was much more important somehow. McCain’s constant screaming and making everything personal with every one of her co-hosts and treating this show like the Real Housewives has *nothing at all* to do with the media reporting on her as “screaming,” “causing catfights,” etc. Of course, there is sexism, but I don’t think it applies to McCain. You can’t really blame the media when they’re merely reporting you as you are.

Oh, and I don't think Joy would have a dinner party with her if she was the last person on Earth, lol.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 21
6 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

You can’t really blame the media when they’re merely reporting you as you are.

Yeah Meghan tends to get touchy when her own words and behavior are presented to her. Remember Seth Meyers?

• Love 18
(edited)
3 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yeah Meghan tends to get touchy when her own words and behavior are presented to her. Remember Seth Meyers?

Something must have been said to her behind the scenes because she was extra today.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
45 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Don't you love how she turned the whole topic back onto herself?  Some how  the slut shaming turned into Meghan getting criticized,  that's a talent, right there.

Edited by Cozytea
  • LOL 10
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, whydoiwatchtv said:

What is Sarah wearing and why do they hate her? As others were saying, she’s a pretty woman with great arms and looks good in most clothing. Why put all these fluffy doilies on her. They dressed her like a 90 year old today. 

Yes!  They need to fire this stylist and get the one that dresses her for The Chase, which always makes her look well put-together, healthy and lovely.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, cinsays said:

Yes!  They need to fire this stylist and get the one that dresses her for The Chase, which always makes her look well put-together, healthy and lovely.

I really like Sara's hair today.  Used to wear it like that a lot in HS. No shade, i like it, just can't do it lol. I think the stylist's are figuring since she can only be seen mid to chest up, pile everything they can into that area.

• Love 2

Meant to post this here-bringing over from Meghan thread.

"Really small micro-aggressions"--FYI-this is the kind of thing rich, white women have to deal with. Like you need a really powerful microscope to see these.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

Don't you love how she turned the whole topic back onto herself?  Some how  the slut shaming turned into Meghan getting criticized,  that's a talent, right there.

How To Be a Narcicisst's Handbook - Chapter Three

(Or, she's doing a deep study of the Real Housewives, because they all have that same skill.)

Edited by njbchlover
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

Haha now i know where i remembered the twins from. I had that same reaction to In the Air, breakout the fake drumsticks! lol.  Became my Saturday night song on the old 8-track. cassette?  LOL.  Technology folks.  I was surprised he mentioned RH as his earworm.  That one gets me too heh. I like them.  Nice Boys (yes mom), and funny too. Works for them.  Works for me.  2 👍👍!  

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Meant to post this here-bringing over from Meghan thread.

"Really small micro-aggressions"--FYI-this is the kind of thing rich, white women have to deal with. Like you need a really powerful microscope to see these.

I’m surprised that Meghan even acknowledges micro-aggressions since her team is usually dismissive of the term. Of course it’s only because Meghan is a woman and sexism personally affects her. 

• Love 9

MM as well as many Republicans,seem to be under the impression that there is no point getting vaccinated if you must wear a face mask, remain distance, etc.  They don’t seem to understand that getting vaccinated will protect your life life.  

• Love 17
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

nd I don't know about the thing with Mr. Potato Head except that Hasbro has decided to make him gender neutral? All I remember from my childhood that there was a Mr. Potato Head and a Mrs. Potato Head! But Hasbro is a private company, just like the Seuss estate and can do what they want.

That's how it's been reported, but NO -  Hasbro changed the name of the line of toys.  It is now "Potato Head"  without the Mr.   And the toy line includes BOTH a Mr. and a Mrs. PH.   Again - a big deal about absolutely nothing. 

Potato Head, Muppets, Dr. Seuss -   None of them have been CANCELLED.  nobody is banning books, or making toys transgender, or refusing to air the Muppets.  It's all over-reactions to minor changes.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Haha now i know where i remembered the twins from. I had that same reaction to In the Air, breakout the fake drumsticks! lol.  Became my Saturday night song on the old 8-track. cassette?  LOL.  Technology folks.  I was surprised he mentioned RH as his earworm.  That one gets me too heh. I like them.  Nice Boys (yes mom), and funny too. Works for them.  Works for me.  2 👍👍!  

These two kids remind me of two guys on YouTube I enjoy. It’s called Lost in Vegas, and they listen live and react to songs. My favorite is the Tennessee Whiskey video. 

Wah!Wah!Wah! First it was Twatty whining about having to wear a mask and not being able to partay like those in the Israel are doing*

*Typical Twatty, getting that wrong.

Now it's her "reporting" that some cabbie in Florida won't get the vaccine because "nothing will change" and how the fuck does he know that? Everyone, and I don't just mean Dr. Fauci; But Drs. Gupta (both Vin and Sanjay), and Jha, have said, that wearing a mask and maintaining social distance would still be mandatory until at least 75% of the country is vaccinated, you dumb, nimrodic, ignoranamus of a Maroon!

I just adore Joy and what she said she was gonna do for her dinner party!

I just 😅😝at Twatty trying to fillet Secretary Granholm. Like Twatty has any idea what coal miners think or feel aside from whatever sound bytes she's seen.

And Sara? Not all ear worms are songs you don't like. Because now I've got both Olivia Newton-John's version AND Dolly's version of Jolene in my ear!!!😅

18 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

That's how it's been reported, but NO -  Hasbro changed the name of the line of toys.  It is now "Potato Head"  without the Mr.   And the toy line includes BOTH a Mr. and a Mrs. PH.   Again - a big deal about absolutely nothing. 

Potato Head, Muppets, Dr. Seuss -   None of them have been CANCELLED.  nobody is banning books, or making toys transgender, or refusing to air the Muppets.  It's all over-reactions to minor changes.  

giphy.gif

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Her remarks about the Taylor Swift brouhaha were weird. She sounds so personally offended!  And somehow it became about her being criticized on social media. Did you notice everyone else trying to hold back laughter as she huffed and puffed?

I haven't seen The View today, but Taylor Swift and her fans are getting the whole thing wrong.   The quote was from the Netflix series "Ginny and Georgia", and part of it is about a group of girls who rag on each other all the time, as girls do.   They jokingly call each other out for all kinds of things, in a playful, pretend "Mean girl"  way.  So, one teenage girl telling another that she goes through men faster than Taylor swift - it's called a BURN.  It's a character delivering a cheap insult to another character, 2 friends, one making fun of another who falls in love too easily.   It wasn't a punchline, it was one line in a series of exchanging insults, trying to top each other, for the amusement of the group of girls.  They make fun of each others' taste in music, tv shows, movies, etc.   It makes some good points, about how a popular girl can influence everyone else's opinion by one causal remark.  

I think it's kind of silly to over-interpret one line from a tv show, especially taken out of context.  (It's actually a pretty decent show) 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just 😅😝at Twatty trying to fillet Secretary Granholm. Like Twatty has any idea what coal miners think or feel aside from whatever sound bytes she's seen.

I live in a coal state and let me tell you all they are interested in is having a job that pays well and let's them take car of their families.  Meghan thinks of them as a stereotype.  I'm sure most of them would love to have a job that isn't underground breathing in coal dust.  And I hate to break to it Meghan but coal jobs are going to continue to disappear even if they don't want to.  More and more power plants are switching to nuclear from coal.  

7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Now it's her "reporting" that some cabbie in Florida won't get the vaccine because "nothing will change" and how the fuck does he know that? Everyone, and I don't just mean Dr. Fauci; But Drs. Gupta (both Vin and Sanjay), and Jha, have said, that wearing a mask and maintaining social distance would still be mandatory until at least 75% of the country is vaccinated, you dumb, nimrodic, ignoranamus of a Maroon!

It's because of that cabbie in Florida that nothing will change. Yet. As  you said once more and more people get vaccinated then yes slowly things will start to change. In my county the number of positive cases have dropped considerably since more people are being vaccinated.  

1 minute ago, tinkerbell said:

It makes some good points, about how a popular girl can influence everyone else's opinion by one causal remark.  

Which Taylor Swift's tweet causing her fans to be outraged on her behalf proves that.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

So, one teenage girl telling another that she goes through men faster than Taylor swift - it's called a BURN.  It's a character delivering a cheap insult to another character, 2 friends, one making fun of another who falls in love too easily.   It wasn't a punchline, it was one line in a series of exchanging insults, trying to top each other, for the amusement of the group of girls.  They make fun of each others' taste in music, tv shows, movies, etc. 

I think everyone understands that, I mean on this thread, not on The View.  But it's still a joke at Taylor Swift's expense, right?

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I think everyone understands that, I mean on this thread, not on The View.  But it's still a joke at Taylor Swift's expense, right?

OK - but the characters also made jokes about Lady Gaga and Lana Del Ray.  It seems authentic to the way teenage girls talk to each other

• Love 6