Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Home Before Dark

jewel21
  • Start Topic

With Chastain on the verge of shutting down due to the sale by Red Rock, Conrad tries a last-ditch effort to save the hospital and the doctors plan for their next career moves. On their last day, the whole staff must work together to save Nic's life after she is injured by a deranged patient.

Airdate: 02/09/2021

I'll admit that I momentarily thought that they might kill off Nic (especially with all the news of EVC's involvement with one of the Marvel series).  Beloved character in a life threatening situation.  Likeable patient who just so happens to need a heart transplant.  The storyline would practically write itself.  So, I was pleasantly surprised when they didn't go that route.  Good job, show. 

Mina stapling her arm was one of the more bad-ass things I've seen in awhile. 

I can only speak from my own perspective, but where I live the publicly owned hospital is by far the worst.  Give me a private facility any day of the week.  I suppose if the only alternative is closing, its better than nothing.  But I didn't understand why everyone was treating the news as if it was all rainbows and unicorns. 

The facility they sent Cain to was the same one featured in earlier episodes, correct?   I thought that place was only for people with no hope of recovery.  While I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), I would assume the fact that Cain is awake and able to communicate would indicate that there is hope for a recovery.  And doesn't he have any family who would have a say in his treatment? 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I did feel bad for Cain because it must be awful to be awake and aware but stuck in a horrible situation. I think the show has been very good this year even though many things are unrealistic like all medical shows. I was half expecting figurine guy to be a secret billionaire who would buy the hospital.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I can only speak from my own perspective, but where I live the publicly owned hospital is by far the worst.  Give me a private facility any day of the week.  I suppose if the only alternative is closing, its better than nothing.  But I didn't understand why everyone was treating the news as if it was all rainbows and unicorns. 

Because the Chastainites are all pure of heart and noble warriors for the little guy. Of course they support becoming a public hospital.

• Love 4

Really did enjoy the episode. I have mixed emotions about the happy ending for Nic. I'm glad she and the baby are okay, but shows are so much more interesting when they kill off a central character. 

I'm a native New Yorker. The nearest hospital to me is a public hospital, and I would never be admitted there unless I had no choice. Any surgery I've had has been at the private hospitals. But I have been to the public one when we've needed the nearest emergency room. It is still a hospital and still helpful. I'd think it would be a lot better for Atlanta to have any hospital rather than not enough, and patients being turned away for lack of beds.

• Love 2

Well that was nice and tense. I'm glad the baby survived and Nic will be okay. 

I actually felt for Cane although I think it is karma that he was sent to the same hospital where he sent all his brain dead patients. 

I liked Mina stapling her arm. I agree with the poster above, it was bad ass. 

The patient with the figurines was adorable. Glad he will be okay. 

I hope they caught the guy who stabbed Nic and Mina. 

• Love 8

That was a lousy episode!  This looked like a series ender, where the producers only have a single episode to tie up all the loose ends and wrap it up with a nice big bow.

The whole "hospital is closing" story arc was ridiculous.  They announced they were selling the hospital to condo developers at the end of the last episode and now, maybe a month later, the entire place is shut down and the staff have all moved on (except for the stars, of course).  Then, at the literal last minute, they decide to turn Chastain into a public hospital, contact the governor (a former patient), and convince the State to take over the hospital, add a half-penny sales tax to pay for it, get the staff back together, and set up a doctor-run management board.  What was the point of this?  Why not keep Red Rock around as the faceless corporate villain?  Why not make turning Chastain into a public hospital an ongoing subplot throughout the year?  You could do a lot with the whole public/private hospital thing.   (BTW, Atlanta already has a huge public hospital, Grady.  Their marketing campaign is "Atlanta needs Grady".  Sound familiar?)

Nic and her healthy baby are randomly injured.  I hate when pregnant women are put in jeopardy on shows (must have been too many soap operas when I was a kid).  Mina was also severely injured, but somehow managed to perform not 1 but 2 operations in a single day!  When she was threading that needle into the old man's heart vein, I started wondering if her arm was throbbing in pain yet, and how many pain-killers she'd taken to keep the pain from affecting her delicate work.  

Dr. Cain finally got what he deserved, Last season, when they introduced that awful extended care human warehouse place that he owned, I thought it would be a fitting end if he himself got stuck there.  Then, he did!  I was so hoping that this would have been the big focus of the episode, and Dr. Cain getting wheeled into his own sub-standard facility would be like an episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".  Instead, it just seemed tacked on to the end.  (Not to mention, he wasn't exactly getting quality care from the "sainted" staff of Chastain while he was still there.  They basically ignored him while he was struggling to get their attention multiple times.)

They spent all of last season setting up Red Rock as the villain, with that CEO and Dr. Cain as the faces of the greedy corporation.  Suddenly, it's all over, and none of it was really satisfying.  They all just kind of disappeared.  Very disappointing.

• Love 9

I enjoyed the episode. I knew the stabbing was coming, but I didn't know that he would also slice Mina, and it was all very dramatic. 

My favorite part was Devon using his training from Conrad to figure out why Nic wasn't waking up.

I also liked how "the Raptor" was ready to just pick it all up and go to Boston with Mina, no hesitation. 😍

• Love 4

While I enjoyed seeing Cain consigned to the place he had no problem sending his patients to I thought he is worth millions. He would go to his own home and have round the clock care instead. It also bugged me that Cain’s hair and beard still looked perfect.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Am I the only one that thought this ep was a bizarre dark macabre dream sequence. They are shutting the hospital down, but are leaving two fairly sick people lying in beds with no viable nursing staff, no lights, no food services,  and they’re wheeling equipment out while they lay there. Cain fell out of bed, tried to remove his respirator and it was only the luck of god two doctors walked by to save him. Huh? I get we have to suspend disbelief with these things but this was a lot to take. Nic gets stabbed and they piece together an operating room? Who knew it was that easy? The lab is running tests still but then wander off never to come back to check said tests? The computer system still worked? Who was the anesthesiologist? They piece mealed together the surgical equipment. I guess Conrad should play the lottery because it’s a miracle Nic and baby survived.

I did like Cain getting moved to the body farm place at the end. I hope this character is done. I always like any Mina story and I love the Raptor so all good there. Hopefully next week we get back to some semblance of reality. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

this episode was such an after school special. I still like the show but I feel like the edge from season one has been replaced with sunshine and lollipops. The anointed ones of Chastain stick together and save the world/hospital.

Meh.

It might be just that I can’t stand Conrad’s father (and I think the actor is brutal) but I thought he was a tool to Nics dad. Granted Nics dad is also a pain but it’s still his daughter having been stabbed. Conrad’s dad “I too am beside myself but we have to stay strong” or whatever it was just irritated me. If ever her dad is allowed have a meltdown it’s then..

I didn’t really get the Cain storyline. I don’t particularly get what they’re aiming for. It’s like the storyline got moved aside for this random stabbing. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

The whole "hospital is closing" story arc was ridiculous.  They announced they were selling the hospital to condo developers at the end of the last episode and now, maybe a month later, the entire place is shut down and the staff have all moved on (except for the stars, of course).  Then, at the literal last minute, they decide to turn Chastain into a public hospital, contact the governor (a former patient), and convince the State to take over the hospital, add a half-penny sales tax to pay for it, get the staff back together, and set up a doctor-run management board.  What was the point of this?  Why not keep Red Rock around as the faceless corporate villain?  Why not make turning Chastain into a public hospital an ongoing subplot throughout the year?  You could do a lot with the whole public/private hospital thing.   (BTW, Atlanta already has a huge public hospital, Grady.  Their marketing campaign is "Atlanta needs Grady".  Sound familiar?)

Yeah, I think having the arc take no more than the last two episodes was....a weird choice. I also don't get why we need to see Chastain go public. I know this show LOVES diving into corporations and how evil they can be, but I was hoping for a break from EVILLLLL corporations for this season and focus on just hospital stuff. And how are the doctors going to run the entire hospital, anyway?

I also didn't need to see pregnant Nic be in danger. It's just a tired trope where a pregnancy becomes life or death at some point, but both end up just fine.  But hopefully Nic AND baby are fine in the long run, because drama doesn't need to come out of a dangerous situation.

However...despite my two complaints about these major storylines, I did enjoy the character moments. It was nice to see Nic and Conrad's fathers come together. It was nice to see Devon taking control of figuring out why Nic wasn't waking up. 

And, furthermore, Cain getting shipped to the very place he was sending his brain dead patients to in order to avoid them not dying in his care? Karmatic justice. I mean, yeah, he seems to be on the mend but even if he DID start getting better soon, he still has some karma by having to recuperate in that place. I'm fine with how silly it might be.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I also didn't need to see pregnant Nic be in danger. It's just a tired trope where a pregnancy becomes life or death at some point, but both end up just fine.  But hopefully Nic AND baby are fine in the long run, because drama doesn't need to come out of a dangerous situation.

Almost every show, where there's "a bun in the oven," will lean toward some traumatic event relating to the mother, the baby or both.  It's irritating but it's also the norm on the current genre of television.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

IMO, that was definitely one of the better episodes of the series/season.   Yes, we all know that we have to suspend belief with the storylines but it was entertaining.  The storylines, acting, emotions - all superb, e.g., the fathers, Mina, AJ, Conrad, Devon, Kit, Bell and even Cain - excellent acting in this episode.  I loved the dynamic of them all doing their best to save one of their own--doing everything and whatever was necessary to ensure she lived (and saving Henry was great as well). 

Few highlights:  Mina is a BEAST - nonchalantly  effortlessly and matter-of-factly stapling her arm, just WOW!   I love her!

I didn't feel they would have Nic lose the baby, after her heart-wrenching surgery, but that was a bit of a heart tugging moment waiting for the baby's heartbeat

Happy AJ and Mina aren't going to Boston and AJ was fantastic assuaging Nina's guilt.

ConNic - what is there to say - the emotion on his face throughout the entire episode.  Devon being his best --stepping in to "train the trainer", allowing him to return to "doctor mode" rather than husband  - well done

Loved collaboration among Kit, Bell and Conrad's dad (Marshall?) in figuring out the public option to keep Chastain open (and yes, I know that are some great public hospitals and abysmal ones).

Cain will realize and be grateful to his colleagues at Chastain--after staying in that hell-hole of a hospital, alone and dismissed.  After all, he's just another patient there!  Is this is path to redemption or is that adage of a tiger not changing his stripes going to hold true?

I do agree with another poster - I think this may have been served better if it had been the season's  final episode with those cliffhangers, i.e., is the baby OK?  what will happen to Cain?  will the hospital be saved?

But overall, solid episode and performances.  I enjoyed this episode.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

That was a lousy episode!  This looked like a series ender, where the producers only have a single episode to tie up all the loose ends and wrap it up with a nice big bow.

Nic and her healthy baby are randomly injured.  I hate when pregnant women are put in jeopardy on shows (must have been too many soap operas when I was a kid).  Mina was also severely injured, but somehow managed to perform not 1 but 2 operations in a single day!  When she was threading that needle into the old man's heart vein, I started wondering if her arm was throbbing in pain yet, and how many pain-killers she'd taken to keep the pain from affecting her delicate work.  

Dr. Cain finally got what he deserved, Last season, when they introduced that awful extended care human warehouse place that he owned, I thought it would be a fitting end if he himself got stuck there.  Then, he did!  I was so hoping that this would have been the big focus of the episode, and Dr. Cain getting wheeled into his own sub-standard facility would be like an episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".  Instead, it just seemed tacked on to the end.  (Not to mention, he wasn't exactly getting quality care from the "sainted" staff of Chastain while he was still there.  They basically ignored him while he was struggling to get their attention multiple times.)

They spent all of last season setting up Red Rock as the villain, with that CEO and Dr. Cain as the faces of the greedy corporation.  Suddenly, it's all over, and none of it was really satisfying.  They all just kind of disappeared.  Very disappointing.

I agree with this. It was ridiculous to sell the hospital and turn it into condos and there was no pushback from the city or the state. I know their world is post-Covid, but you’d think the community would be upset about losing that many hospital beds, since they made a point of showing that the ERs were overflowing and that why there was a crazed person who showed up at a closed hospital looking for help and ended up stabbing Nic who then had nowhere to go after getting emergency surgery performed by her friends. What would she have done if they hadn’t been hanging around? 

And it’s ridiculous that they were all just hanging around, lamenting the loss of the hospital. We’ve been told that they are the best in their profession and field, so it made no sense for them to be there. They should have all already lined up new jobs since they are so supposedly top of their fields and in high demand. Other than Mina, they were all unemployed. 

And supposedly Cain made a ton of money so why wasn’t he getting top of the line medical care?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

OK, I get the karma angle with Cain being put in the facility. Having read somewhere that there’s a plan to rehabilitate his character into a good guy (as they did with Bell), I suppose the idea’s that he will have a change of heart after being in there. But this is a great big plot hole, since as a number of posters have said, the guy’s mega-rich. He’d have round-the-clock private nurses in his mansion or penthouse or wherever he lives.

Mina was even more badass than usual with the arm stapling. Geez, she didn’t even flinch! I was briefly afraid she and AJ were being written off the show. Then again, if there were ever a spinoff starring Mina and the Raptor at Mass General, I would be SO there for it. Love Conrad and Nic, but Mina and AJ are my favorite couple. Nobody can do snark quite like these two.

Great job, Devon! Good to see he seems to be getting more back to normal after letting his guilt and grief over his dad turn him into such a jerk the last episode or two.

ETA: Speaking of Bell turning into a good guy - somehow he’s also once again a highly respected surgeon. I suppose whatever meds he takes to control the hand tremors must be working really well, but has everyone in the hospital really forgotten the illustrious HODAD?

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I assume they had to squash the storylines because Covid forced all series to have fewer episodes and they wanted to get to whatever the end game is for the public hospital by the end of this short season.

Not all public hospitals are bad. Bellevue in NYC is the place where you want to go if you have major trauma. It is the hospital of choice for first responders because the ER is so good. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
On 2/9/2021 at 7:08 PM, Bulldog said:

It’s not a popular perspective, but...

In my experience, the public and or non-religion owned hospitals are shoddy/forced out of business because they can’t compete with the ones owned by religious, non-profit businesses that don’t have the same tax burden, access to bulk supply inventory, etc.  The ones that are owned by religious entities then dominate the community, imposing their religious principles upon the standard of care and limiting the number of beds available.

Looking at you, Dignity Health.

Unfortunately it is one of the many reasons that healthcare in our country is in such a shitty state of affairs...monopolies of tax-exempt entities are reaping billions of dollars controlling the number of available beds and the level of care one can receive according to their religious principles.

I only wish they would have been bold enough to expose it by revealing that the only way to keep the hospital open was to sell out to the Catholic system...and in turn they would let Nic die, according to the new religious rules that prohibit any lifesaving efforts for the mother that compromise the baby.

THAT would have been an Emmy winning episode.

Oh, well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

ETA: Speaking of Bell turning into a good guy - somehow he’s also once again a highly respected surgeon. I suppose whatever meds he takes to control the hand tremors must be working really well, but has everyone in the hospital really forgotten the illustrious HODAD?

This seems to be a problem with many television shows. They create a fairly realistic bad guy and then they insist on giving the character a complete redemption arc and the slate is completely erased as if the guy had always been a great guy. And then they bring in a villain who practically twirls his or her mustache to fill in - we had the cancer doctor who was killing patients and then Cain and the business guy and Cain - with both punished - one by being fired for his one "good" deed and Cain being stricken essentially because his residents did on him what he allowed him to do on other patients. 

The main character in Chicago PD got a similar arc of WTF redemption - Voight went from being a completely evil corrupt character to being the cliched good cop who occasionally went outside the system but only for non-selfish reasons.

23 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

• Love 3
On 2/10/2021 at 10:45 PM, CarpeFelis said:

But this is a great big plot hole, since as a number of posters have said, the guy’s mega-rich. He’d have round-the-clock private nurses in his mansion or penthouse or wherever he lives.

I don't see this as a plot hole at all.  The way I see it, Cain has no one in his personal life to advocate for him or give access to the $$ he's amassed that would qualify him for above standard care. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Cain probably has people managing his money, his house, etc. But he may not have considered that he could have a medical crisis, and he apparently does not have friends or relatives who would advocate for him.

Might be interesting if he survives this but can no longer be a surgeon, and has to adjust to another specialty. 'ER' could have done this with Romano but dropped the ball badly. Maybe this show can do better.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2021 at 10:08 PM, Bulldog said:

The facility they sent Cain to was the same one featured in earlier episodes, correct?   I thought that place was only for people with no hope of recovery.  While I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), I would assume the fact that Cain is awake and able to communicate would indicate that there is hope for a recovery.  And doesn't he have any family who would have a say in his treatment? 

I get the karma bit of Cain ending up in that facility but my first thought was this. He's awake, he would be going to a different type of facility. I've known someone in a situation like Cain's and he was in a rehab facility with his own room and everything. Not surrounded by beds of people who won't wake up.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 2/9/2021 at 10:08 PM, Bulldog said:

Mina stapling her arm was one of the more bad-ass things I've seen in awhile.

It was bad ass but at the same time, I was thinking "no way'.  I had staples put in for my second C section and those things are effin' brutal.  Give me thread sutures every day and twice on Sunday.  For her to just staple herself without flinching, I don't think so, even with the adrenaline flowing.  And the staples don't move with your body like thread does, so it's even more painful every time you move.  Plus, that arm would be throbbing whithin a short amount of time, so again, no way would she able to do delicate heart surgery without being in tears from the pain. 

But that was the least unrealistic part of the episode, really!!

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, katalizt said:

I get the karma bit of Cain ending up in that facility but my first thought was this. He's awake, he would be going to a different type of facility. I've known someone in a situation like Cain's and he was in a rehab facility with his own room and everything. Not surrounded by beds of people who won't wake up.

Yes! When we first saw the facility, it was a place to park people who are in comas. Cain is awake and functioning, he needs a rehab facility, not a long term care.

I'd be shocked if Cain didn't have medical and financial powers of attorney.  That's something someone as rich and as sneaky as Cane would be sure to do.

17 hours ago, bros402 said:

That was an oddly... compressed timeline for the hospital being sold. I cannot imagine it was legal for them to do surgery there. Nic's, sure, they can handwave as an emergency. But AVM guy? No.

I kept shouting "those instruments aren't sterile any more!" It was also strange that they called everyone back to the hospital since there were already six doctors working on Nic. I would have thought that they could handle anything needed.

I'm a survivor of Arrow and I watched Connor sew up his own arm on the first episode of Chicago Med so I wasn't shocked at Mina stapling herself (convenient it was her non-dominant arm) although it does support my theory that she may be on the autism spectrum.  What surprised me more was that the hospital was sold and packed up, AJ applied and got a position in another hospital, Mina applied for and got a residency in Boston, and yet neither brought up what is going to happen  to their relationship and maybe they should both apply to the same city?

The plot holes were strong in this episode.

• Love 1
On 2/10/2021 at 7:01 PM, GiandujaPie said:

And it’s ridiculous that they were all just hanging around, lamenting the loss of the hospital. We’ve been told that they are the best in their profession and field, so it made no sense for them to be there. They should have all already lined up new jobs since they are so supposedly top of their fields and in high demand. Other than Mina, they were all unemployed. 

This episode would have made more sense if it happened after the sale was in process, but before they moved people out of the hospital.  I guess they just wanted to effect of showing all the equipment wrapped up or something.

9 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I don't see this as a plot hole at all.  The way I see it, Cain has no one in his personal life to advocate for him or give access to the $$ he's amassed that would qualify him for above standard care. 

But he is awake and able to communicate (with the white board). There's no reason why he shouldn't have been able to insist he get placed in a private facility. Plus, someone is rich as Cain is supposed to be would have a lawyer to advocate for him. I would guess most doctors would have a living will.

I will forgive all that though, because it is such excellent karma.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

, AJ applied and got a position in another hospital, Mina applied for and got a residency in Boston, and yet neither brought up what is going to happen  to their relationship and maybe they should both apply to the same city?

Didn't they have that conversation, and AJ agreed to go to Boston?

1 hour ago, Arkay said:

Didn't they have that conversation, and AJ agreed to go to Boston?

They had the conversation in the middle of this episode after they had both applied for and been accepted in other hospitals. Wouldn't Nic and Conrad for example have talked about what they're  going to do as soon as they found out that they had to leave Chastain?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

They had the conversation in the middle of this episode after they had both applied for and been accepted in other hospitals. Wouldn't Nic and Conrad for example have talked about what they're  going to do as soon as they found out that they had to leave Chastain?

We don't know what other hospitals Minna had applied to. She may have applied to some in Atlanta and Boston was only a small possibility. AJ didn't seem shocked when she mentioned Boston. It is a little weird that they wouldn't have talked about the possibility first, but then they couldn't have shown it in the episode.

It sounded like most of the doctors had already gotten jobs elsewhere in Atlanta, which seems surprising. Are there so many open medical jobs in Atlanta that an entire hospital of doctors could quickly get jobs? I doubt Chastain closing would mean other hospitals automatically have money to hire more people.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

We don't know what other hospitals Minna had applied to. She may have applied to some in Atlanta and Boston was only a small possibility. AJ didn't seem shocked when she mentioned Boston. It is a little weird that they wouldn't have talked about the possibility first, but then they couldn't have shown it in the episode.

It sounded like most of the doctors had already gotten jobs elsewhere in Atlanta, which seems surprising. Are there so many open medical jobs in Atlanta that an entire hospital of doctors could quickly get jobs? I doubt Chastain closing would mean other hospitals automatically have money to hire more people.

Yeah, seriously - like I can see AJ getting one on the spot - and Hawkins (although it didn't sound like he applied for one).

So here's how I imagine the last ~6 episodes were going to go if it weren't for COVID:
1. CEO guy gets blackmailed out with Caine stuff
2. Season finale, Red Rock CEO goes "we're looking for a new CEO" the whole episode followed by "oh no we're selling Chastain!"
3. Season premiere picks up a few weeks later, people are sad about Chastain being in the process of being sold, but they still see patients, including the Governor(or was it mayor?)
4. Few episodes of hospital people trying every method to try to form a consortium to buy the hospital, Conrad tries to get his dad involved, etc.
5. They do a last ditch effort to contact the politician, hear nothing back and it is the last day of Chastain. same drama blah blah blah, then end of the episode someone from her office comes by and goes "wtf are you guys doing around here doing nothing? the county/state now owns this place!"

• Love 1
On 2/9/2021 at 11:44 PM, Arkay said:

Really did enjoy the episode. I have mixed emotions about the happy ending for Nic. I'm glad she and the baby are okay, but shows are so much more interesting when they kill off a central character. 

Well, New Amsterdam kinda went this route, so maybe they were afraid of being accused of "copying".