Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: Nice to Marry You

• Start Topic

On 1/27/2021 at 7:59 PM, humbleopinion said:

Ryan now has a stupid moustache to go along with his Snatch haircut....🙄

Vincent buy a bigger size shirt..the buttons are working overtime on your striped top.

YES! Mustaches covering lips make me SICK!! 😨

Vincent has hair on his head!! & a fuller looking face & body. 😂 Dammit man! Ryan is right next to him, he should take him to his gym!!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JapMo said:

I think both of them were victims of manipulated editing.  Why did Production question Haley about how she was feeling?  They hardly ever break the 4th wall, and never this early in the game.

I was wondering the same. It was weird. They also asked her what she planned on doing tonight. Like I’m sure they asked the others, but why was the producer asking included? Maybe it’s because they are all just so boring 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

@Jack Sampson asked the people on the board that had lived through the '80s whether they were as great as they seemed to be, and I gave my honest opinion, that's all.  I don't begrudge anyone liking '80s pop culture - I like parts of it too.  I just think Jake takes his fascination with the pop culture parts of the decade to a level that most people wouldn't, which makes it feel a little immature and shallow to me.  YMMV.

I totally understand! I have been fascinated reading everyone's take on their experience living through the 1980's, I just think it's not fair to him to put that on him when he probably doesn't actually care about the decade as a whole, just the content that was created in it. I agree with whoever said that people who were kids then probably have a more positive feeling about it, and I guess that's me too as I basically grew up during that decade (I graduated from high school in 1990). I guess we will have to see just how into the 1980's Jake is, or if production just latched onto that and it's become his "story line".

• Love 4
On 1/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, humbleopinion said:

The bouquets were individualized for each bride, the alter and reception floral arrangements were elegant.

I totally agree! I thought Brianna's bouquet was absolutely gorgeous!

On 1/31/2021 at 10:02 AM, HZAnita said:

16 Candles, I'm (not) looking at you.

Ok, but how can you not laugh at a trapped AMH screaming JAAAAAKEEEE!!!! from beneath the glass coffee table? Especially fitting given our 1980's lover this season! ; p

• LOL 2

I finally got around to watching this episode. I haven't read the rest of the comments yet (but I will because y'all make me laugh) but Chris is disgusting. His father is disgusting and I feel for Paige. Ryan "I'll kill you and your entire family" DeNino is my top hated husband but I see Chris is going to give him a true run for his money. Trash.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I totally understand! I have been fascinated reading everyone's take on their experience living through the 1980's, I just think it's not fair to him to put that on him when he probably doesn't actually care about the decade as a whole, just the content that was created in it. I agree with whoever said that people who were kids then probably have a more positive feeling about it, and I guess that's me too as I basically grew up during that decade (I graduated from high school in 1990). I guess we will have to see just how into the 1980's Jake is, or if production just latched onto that and it's become his "story line".

I agree. Don't we all love the 80s?! It's all about the pop culture. HOWEVER, if I was on a reality show, I'm positive that my love of 80's pop culture would not become a thing.

Now that I think about it, I think it's become a thing with Jacob due to producer manipulation.  The show wants him to appear old.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I agree. Don't we all love the 80s?! It's all about the pop culture. HOWEVER, if I was on a reality show, I'm positive that my love of 80's pop culture would not become a thing.

Now that I think about it, I think it's become a thing with Jacob due to producer manipulation.  The show wants him to appear old.

You are probably right about them wanting to highlight how "old" he is, but the reality is that Jacob is honestly too young to really remember the 1980's - he was born in 1982 if he was 38 in 2020. I was born in 1972 and what I remember about the 1970's is not much since I was only in 2nd grade when the decade ended. He would be in the same situation, just a decade later......

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

To me, it's less about him appearing old, and more about him just appearing weird!  From what I remember when they showed his house, it did not look inviting/appealing, and was sort of cluttered/claustrophobic feeling with 80s stuff.  I'm also not sure that it was just producer manipulation, since I think his groomsmen had been giving him grief about it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/27/2021 at 9:24 PM, Dreamawake719 said:

Am I the only one that sees Nathan Fillion when I look at Jacob?

Omggggg I thought I was the only one! I searched google just to see if anyone else had said it!

On 1/28/2021 at 1:33 PM, Crashcourse said:

For example, I hope he jokingly explains his "big nose" request as wanting one similar to his. 

Ya. He probably shouldn't say that as she might take that to mean he doesn't like her nose. 😅

I know they just met AND GOT MARRIED, but is it too soon for Erik to level with his wife & tell her to ease up on the alcohol? Reassure her, calm her nerves, & say he'd like to see the real her. I think he should've done that. Never to early to play the role.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, JapMo said:

Why did Production question Haley about how she was feeling?  They hardly ever break the 4th wall, and never this early in the game.

Yeah they do. The TH are producer interviews. They include the questions if we can't tell what the person is talking about. 😂

On 1/28/2021 at 9:23 AM, Myrtle Urkele said:

No one was looking out or standing up for Paige and to be honest I needed her to stand up for herself a little bit as well.

ABSOLUTELY!! It made her seem like a pushover. She should've asserted a CLEAR BOUNDARY. She refused one sexual question, but should've shut ALL of that talk down & said they'd discuss it another time, she wasn't comfortable. Chris needs some serious training & it's not looking like she'll be the one to do it. 😅

• Useful 1
On 1/28/2021 at 1:56 AM, humbleopinion said:

he’s a poser, a fameHo, ungentlemanly, uncouth and beneath her dignity....

TOTALLY CLASSLESS!! He so much worse than Zach with his rambling nonsense. Talk about INAPPROPRIATE OVERSHARING!! Someone needs help him with that.  😂 He says he's looking to find his attraction to her. That's more than what Zach did. Let's see if he actually does it.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Lindz said:

DEEPLY INSECURE HYPOCRITE!! Someone should ask what he's trying to buy with all his designer items. Better yet, after he brags about his wealth, ask if he's concerned about women only wanting him for his money, then WHY lead with his "wealth"?? FOOL!!

The answer to that question is that he has no real wealth. He pretends "he hates women only wanting him for his money", when in truth he leads with his (fake) money because he wants people to think he is much more successful than he actually is in reality. 

I remember there used to be a saying that money screams and wealth whispers.

The pilot guy probably does have real money but we do not see him either brag about it or lament that women only want him from his money. The only time he has mentioned it is when he casually said something about his family owning a couple of planes (or something like that...I don't totally remember). He is probably the wealthiest groom to ever come on this show (I imagine).

• Love 10
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

The pilot guy probably does have real money but we do not see him either brag about it or lament that women only want him from his money. The only time he has mentioned it is when he casually said something about his family owning a couple of planes (or something like that...I don't totally remember). He is probably the wealthiest groom to ever come on this show (I imagine).

And if Erik does own a new Shelby Mustang like I suspect he does, those start at $75k. Not a cheap set of wheels.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, gingerandcloves said:

And if Erik does own a new Shelby Mustang like I suspect he does, those start at $75k. Not a cheap set of wheels.

The Shelby is probably one of the many collectible cars in the hanger of the Lake Clan's planes and cars.

Erik did follow in his Dad's footsteps, he is/was a pilot too.

• Love 2
Just now, humbleopinion said:

Erik's Dad made a comment to Erik pre ceremony that he could just leave because "the Shelby's outside"....

Ah, well, the "Shelby" comes in a wide range of prices, so who knows?  I suspect if he really does own a $100,000 sports car, he's not really in need of matchmaking help, but who knows?  Could be a family car. 

Poor Olivia is going to be so GREEN with envy that she wasn't part of the Atlanta crew.  

• LOL 3

I don't think Jacob is ugly but I do think he's shy. I think if he was more talkative he'd appear more attractive. He just seemed dead at the wedding and reception. 

Honestly, it looked as if Chris' father was going to start licking his lips and openly salivating over Paige at the reception. If I didn't know he was a pastor/reverend I'd think he was a pimp. Chris seems to have learned the ways of the hustle from his shyster father so there's no telling how he gets people to invest in his many failed businesses and I'd bet he uses that same silvered tongue to convince women he's a decent guy. Total asshole. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Ah, well, the "Shelby" comes in a wide range of prices, so who knows?  I suspect if he really does own a $100,000 sports car, he's not really in need of matchmaking help, but who knows?  Could be a family car. 

Poor Olivia is going to be so GREEN with envy that she wasn't part of the Atlanta crew.  

The Lakes have planes to fly in the family hanger and probably a collection of cars....

Daddy Lake seems the generous type so he'd be happy to toss Erik the keys if he wanted to get away pre ceremony....

Olivia is writhing on her antique carpet with envy and agony over her perfect match, Erik going to a drunken party girl....

Her friends will get tired of her texting them about why didn't she get a rich, handsome pilot? 🙄

Just now, Soup333 said:

Honestly, it looked as if Chris' father was going to start licking his lips and openly salivating over Paige at the reception. If I didn't know he was a pastor/reverend I'd think he was a pimp.

Think Chris' Dad is more than likely been a drive by customer asking the ladies how much is a bj.......

• Love 4

Agree with the general consensus here that Chris is horrible. Absolutely, positively, undeniably horrible. My observations of him and why he is:  his face is set in a permanent scowl when talking to Paige, except when he makes a comment like "that's dope" or some other ridiculous phrase. He most definitely has no interest in what she is saying and the entire conversation and view in his mind is about HIM; how it affects HIM; how HE is going to proceed, etc.  He commented, "I don't know if I will have sex with her or not..." and "she is what I need but not what I want," as if he is deciding on which (luxury) car he wants to buy or where to rent an apartment.  He totally objectifies her, and has done so with all women in his life. Easy to see why: look at Dad, of the giant oversized suit, overbearing domineering attitude and King of His Castle approach to marriage.  His concerns were how HE looked, that he'd better be attracted to her or "I don't know what I'll do." Her part in any of it was inconsequential. Total turnoff.  TOTAL. Also when he was describing his profession: "I am an entrepeneur and owner of a premier franchise" or whatever- what kind of bullshit is that? I would have immediately asked "what is the name of your franchise?"  

I know a lot of people think Erik seems to be the catch of the season, but I find him completely unattractive in a number of ways.  Every time someone makes a joke, he massively overreacts (giant smile, big fake laugh) as if he's constantly trying to fit in or be accepted.  He also has this sort of hunched-over look that to me comes across as cowering or feeling inferior, which is superficial but noticeable and unappealing. His hyperenthusiasm extends to his approach to Virginia:  "she's great; she's beautiful; we have a great vibe; we're hitting it off so well!!!!"  Simmer down, Buddy.  First of all, she's been shit-faced drunk since the bachelorette party the night before and she is just waaay to extra to be real.

I'm not sure why producers want to portray Clara in the same way they did with Christina last season: nit-picky, self-centered, complaining.  Obviously there is careful editing going on to present her as the high-maintenance kind of girl; I think Ryan seems like a decent guy and I'm hoping they can make it work.

Haley seems like someone I'd like... again with the editing and the "always a bridesmaid" title- hopefully that doesn't translate into a portrayal of a desperate bride. She's already side-eyeing Jake because, well... he's awkward. Again, producers trying to hyper-play the "nerd, weirdo" role with the man-cave house, beach, diet-- but again, those are truly his habits/traits and I wouldn't be interested. They both seem to have the attitude of "this is me and I won't change for nobody," which could lead to issues down the road.

Edited by KateHearts
  • Love 3

I'm just now getting around to watching episodes 1-3, in reverse order (I can't find the casting special episode anywhere). I've read most of the comments here and don't have much to add about Chris that hasn't already been said. Did anyone mention that he's a literal piece of shit? Because he is. I would flush that fucker before it even had a chance to stink up the room. When he was talking to Paige's bridesmaids, I was really hoping they'd give him a beatdown, but later they were all cozied up with Paige talking about what a catch he was. Ladies, you disappoint me!

Some additional shallow notes based on other comments here:

I didn't mind Haley's dress. I get sick of seeing the Fairy Princess Look and the Slutty Vegas Bride look, so I appreciate that she was trying to go for something off the beaten path. I probably would have put her in an A-line, but the idea was okay. She's a pretty girl but has an oddly pinched or squeezed-looking face, to me. Ever squeezed the sides of a Barbie's head to make her face look funny? Haley's face kind of reminded me of that. But then they showed her mom, who looks just like her but is a knockout... I think Haley's going to improve with time. 

I have a soft spot for soft-spoken, awkward guys, so I don't have any bad feelings about Jake at this point, apart from his awful haircut. Time will tell us what his true personality is. Since he likes big noses so much, why wasn't he paired with Clara? He and Clara have the same oversized nose on top of a short upper lip. Then again, it's good to finally see an interracial pairing, so I hope it works out well with Clara and whatsisname.

The drunk girl... why am I forgetting names?... puts on eyeshadow like I did when I was 12 and first figuring out how to do it. Some people have said that at 26, she's too old to be the wasted girl at the party all the time, and I have mixed feelings on that. At 26 I was in grad school living in university housing and getting wasted quite a bit, but I sure wasn't trying to marry anyone or have my antics filmed on TV. (And might I add... I am now 48 and have fewer wrinkles than she does now, so I must have cut that shit out at the right time.) Erik seems like he's too good for her, but I also think he might have a strange dark side that we don't know about. Either that or he really just wants to be on TV himself.. maybe a Bachelorette casting reject?

I don't have solidly formulated opinions on the others yet. It doesn't seem like there's anyone this season that I'll be rooting for the way I was rooting for Henry.

Edited by TheMediumBopper
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I'm not sure why producers want to portray Clara in the same way they did with Christina last season: nit-picky, self-centered, complaining.  Obviously there is careful editing going on to present her as the high-maintenance kind of girl; I think Ryan seems like a decent guy and I'm hoping they can make it work.

I'm not sure I would put Clara in the same class as Christina. The only similarity so far is that they were pissy before the ceremony and unhappy about some aspect of their attire. But other than that, she seems pretty fun and unpretentious. Shoot, she even went along with the dumb blindfold - can you imagine Christina doing that???? I don't think so.....Also, she clearly likes her groom, whereas Christina did not.

• Love 7
On 1/28/2021 at 5:54 PM, sara416 said:

Can we NEVER AGAIN use the phrase "he/she checks all my boxes"? It's gross and weird. 

Let's add "leap of faith," and "COMPLETE stranger" (is there a partial stranger category?) to that list. And be sure to pronounce it "Shtranger."

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I wish Married at First Sight could cut out all of the boring obligatory family breakfasts and individual interviews and instead go straight to no holds barred all drama and fight episodes.  I don't care about successful matches and blossoming love on MAFS- I want running mascara and door slamming! Maybe this is why I watch 90 Day Fiancé 😝

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I'm not sure I would put Clara in the same class as Christina. The only similarity so far is that they were pissy before the ceremony and unhappy about some aspect of their attire. But other than that, she seems pretty fun and unpretentious. Shoot, she even went along with the dumb blindfold - can you imagine Christina doing that???? I don't think so.....Also, she clearly likes her groom, whereas Christina did not.

I agree, and so far, I like Clara a million times more than Christina. I think Clara was nervous about making a good first impression on Ryan, especially after the sweet letter he wrote her, and that's why she was upset about the dress and hair. She seems like a fun friend, low-maintenance kind of girl, and she is pretty smitten with Ryan. 

• Love 9
On 1/29/2021 at 2:47 PM, Blissfool said:

I didnt like Haley's dress because I don't like halter tops and because it showed a broad tan line across her back. I noticed it when she was dress shopping and I thought she'd surely do something about it. Alas, she didn't. 😒

I like Jacob too. I think he looks just fine. He seems to like Haley so I wish he could get over his awkwardness before he turns her all the way off.

I think Jake is fine too.  Rather have him than a blowhard asshole like Chris.  What’s Chris panicking about anyhow.  Just got word he’s having a baby with another woman?  Loser.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:00 PM, humbleopinion said:

The bridesmaid closest to us has the same drowned rat hairstyle as Virginia.....

This show is making loads of money.  Why can’t they have a decent hairdresser or a better curling iron?  A curling iron that makes smaller curls so they don’t have strings hanging down.

I like Jacob a lot, partly because I'm in my 30's and work out exclusively to 80's VHS tapes and love 70's décor and appliances.  He has some nice self deprecating humor, is a meat eater and seems to be smart and laid back.  I don't know if Hailey will stay with him, that's my guess this far in.  The problem with his choosing a show like this to find love, is that eccentric people with unusual hobbies are harder to pair off in the real world, let alone reality TV.  I think Jacob would be more appreciated by a lady in a more personalized dating app like Hinge or Match or at Meet Up events for hobbies.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/27/2021 at 9:56 PM, Empress1 said:

The one with the locs will. You can tell she's a real one, and she doesn't like Chris.

I love her.

"You're so much more than a beautiful woman with ovaries."

Edited by Mercolleen
On 1/27/2021 at 9:10 PM, Crashcourse said:

Which one was discussing masturbation?  Somehow I missed that.

Edit:  I should have known it was Chris.  He really thinks he's hot.  His daddy looks like a balloon.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣....a big ole balloon! 

• LOL 2
On 1/27/2021 at 9:41 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I’m wondering just how long Chris intends to play this out. Consummate just because he can. Then he will be out more, rage when he is at home kind of guy. How long before he has a side piece? 

How can he continue the show when he reveals he’s going to be a Father?  Will she be o.k. with that?

17 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I like Jacob a lot, partly because I'm in my 30's and work out exclusively to 80's VHS tapes and love 70's décor and appliances.  He has some nice self deprecating humor, is a meat eater and seems to be smart and laid back.  I don't know if Hailey will stay with him, that's my guess this far in.  The problem with his choosing a show like this to find love, is that eccentric people with unusual hobbies are harder to pair off in the real world, let alone reality TV.  I think Jacob would be more appreciated by a lady in a more personalized dating app like Hinge or Match or at Meet Up events for hobbies.  

I’m with you.  He’s not a big mouth, has manners and is proud of his house.  What’s wrong with that?  What is Haley looking for exactly?  He wasn’t shy on Unfiltered and spoke very nicely.  We’ll see how he does on the honeymoon.  If I was her, I’d give him a chance.  What is so great about her?  Truthfully.

• Love 5

Nothing wrong with Jacob being proud of his house, but I wonder how he'll react if/when Haley wants to make some changes and put her stamp on things?  He seems lost in his own world, but I guess we'll see.  

Haley's been a bit tentative (and understandably so, IMO), but maybe she'll warm up to him.  And frankly, he doesn't act like he's all that attracted to her.  He has a way of looking at her like she's something he'd like to add to his 80's collection. 

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

How can he continue the show when he reveals he’s going to be a Father?  Will she be o.k. with that?

There is no telling because she really believes in the idea of marriage for keeps. She should cut her losses and run. He will always owe child support, be tied to this baby’s Mama and especially so if it is a son. That will always be his golden child. I seem to recall the engagement ended 2-3 months prior to this. Unless she is that far along, it might not even be his child. He is no winner in the looks or personality department. She can do better. 
   She better have a good sense of self esteem. I also hope that he hasn’t been emotionally or verbally abusive. Although I think he came close after the wedding telling her that she wasn’t really his cup of tea. She should never have slept with him to begin with. They also haven’t been using protection. I hope that she doesn’t end up pregnant along with his ex. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Haley's been a bit tentative (and understandably so, IMO), but maybe she'll warm up to him.  And frankly, he doesn't act like he's all that attracted to her.  He has a way of looking at her like she's something he'd like to add to his 80's collection. 

The problem is when he talks he tends to yammer on and on instead of having a 2 way conversation...

His staring with his face of his is at her was only tolerable because she faced away from him....but she felt his eyes boring into her.......

Plus her loud "TIME FOR SLEEP!" blowing the head phones off the sound guy...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Nothing wrong with Jacob being proud of his house, but I wonder how he'll react if/when Haley wants to make some changes and put her stamp on things?  He seems lost in his own world, but I guess we'll see.  

Well, at least he’s like a baby and still living with his parents like some guys.  He bought a house and fixed it up to his liking.  If she stays, she’ll have control of the house and fix it up to her taste .. maybe.  NOT a baby I meant.

• Love 1

Jake unfortunately cannot compute (the jokes are writing themselves) that absolutely no one in the bridal party/guests finds his love for the 80's charming, interesting or anything other than eye rolling 🙄.

Haley wished for a husband who connects with people immediately as she does but she is married to Jake,  who people want to flee like they smell dog poo on his shoes....

Not blaming Jake or Haley....blaming production f*ckery and the "experts"

14 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Well, at least he’s like a baby and still living with his parents like some guys.  He bought a house and fixed it up to his liking.  If she stays, she’ll have control of the house and fix it up to her taste .. maybe.  NOT a baby I meant.

and, who is to say that they would live there forever? if they are a match, maybe they would buy a place they both like and decorate to please them both.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Does the “vegan option” just abruptly end after “Charred Onions, Baby”?

Maybe it was supposed to be Charred Baby Onions and when whoever typed it made the correction but did not watch where the cursor was...hilarious, babe, really hilarious.