Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

https://www.thecut.com/2022/08/florence-pugh-and-zach-braff-have-broken-up.html

She's never going to admit the age gap was weird, but yeah, happy is probably too extreme but that part of her personal life is no longer distracting to me.

He's 6 years older than my husband was when we started dating (I was also 26).  We will be celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary in two weeks (we let it brew for 5 years before marrying).  I know that 6 years is 6 years, but still, it can work.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I get really angry when people are reduced to the word "addict" or "junkie." Somehow it's so dehumanizing to reduce people to this one trait. I see this on twitter all the time -- he/she is an "addict".

Exactly. People don’t do the same to those with diabetes, cancer, asthma, epilepsy, or any other physical illness. And treatment for those diseases are much easier to access than quality treatment for addiction. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Exactly. People don’t do the same to those with diabetes, cancer, asthma, epilepsy, or any other physical illness. And treatment for those diseases are much easier to access than quality treatment for addiction. 

Every time I hear someone dismiss someone as simply an "addict," I think of the story of the homeless guy who was hauled into court and turns out he had graduated the same Harvard Law School class as the judge in that courtroom.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/the-homeless-man-who-graduated-from-harvard-law-school-with-chief-justice-john-roberts/2015/07/13/63257b5c-20ca-11e5-bf41-c23f5d3face1_story.html

People are always so much more than one illness.

Back to celeb news: Bennifer are apparently planning a big wedding.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/08/bennifer-wedding-georgia.html

• Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

People don’t do the same to those with diabetes, cancer, asthma, epilepsy, or any other physical illness. And treatment for those diseases are much easier to access than quality treatment for addiction. 

People don't do that with the conditions you mentioned because those conditions are beyond their control. An addict CAN and should control his/her condition. It's their choice to continue feeding their addiction.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

“There are accidents and there are choices,” said one of the many Instagram users pummeling Baldwin, adding that “her choice burned down a family’s home."

I will make no friends for saying so, but I’m not sure Heche did make a choice.

Compulsion is the crux of addiction. And compulsion is “an irresistible urge to behave in a certain way, especially against one’s conscious wishes.” Nothing is more bewildering to me than harming myself against my own will.

To your point, then the terminology should have read "there are accidents and there are compulsions".  IMO, compulsions can be curbed. Most addicts realize they have an addiction; therefore, they should be able to control their compulsions. 

In Anne's case, after she crashed into a garage the first time, THAT should have put a stop to her compulsion(s)...especially since she was still conscious, and CHOSE to drive 90mph down a narrow street AGAIN almost hitting a pedestrian. How many "warnings" does a person with compulsions need to realize what they're doing is wrong? Unless, of course, that's the method to their madness??

Edited by Soapy Goddess
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

https://www.thecut.com/2022/08/florence-pugh-and-zach-braff-have-broken-up.html

She's never going to admit the age gap was weird, but yeah, happy is probably too extreme but that part of her personal life is no longer distracting to me.

What if she doesn't actually think it's weird?  They're consenting adults who presumably weren't harming anyone.  It's their business, not mine.  C'est la vie.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 14
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Littlefeather was interviewed for an episode of the Academy Museum Podcast earlier this year.  This is powerful:

The Academy is also holding An Evening of Conversation, Healing, and Celebration with Sacheen Littlefeather September 17th of this year. 

https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-museum-welcomes-sacheen-littlefeather-evening-conversation-healing-and-celebration

She deserves it. The Academy acted so sanctimoniously over "The Slap" as if The Academy and its members behavior towards Littlefeather at the 1973 Oscars weren't questionable.  I'm glad Sacheen Littlefeather is still here to receive an apology and tell her story.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

People don't do that with the conditions you mentioned because those conditions are beyond their control. An addict CAN and should control his/her condition. It's their choice to continue feeding their addiction.

Addicts cannot control their conditions. That's why it's caused an addiction. It's a disease.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 16

And here is the problem.  . . Sigh.

Did you read the article I was quoting and linked?

To your point, then the terminology should have read "there are accidents and there are compulsions".  IMO, compulsions can be curbed. Most addicts realize they have an addiction; therefore, they should be able to control their compulsions. 

In Anne's case, after she crashed into a garage the first time, THAT should have put a stop to her compulsion(s)...especially since she was still conscious, and CHOSE to drive 90mph down a narrow street AGAIN almost hitting a pedestrian. How many "warnings" does a person with compulsions need to realize what they're doing is wrong? Unless, of course, that's the method to their madness??

You should read more about the topic. If it were so easy to control those compulsions, there wouldn’t be so many addicts. 🤦‍♀️ Their brain chemistry and wiring is altered. It’s impossible for those of Us who dont have the disease to understand that damaged wiring. Maybe the American Medical Association should consult with some of the experts for advice? 🤣

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 3
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

People do blame those with those conditions who do not seek treatment and care for them.  Same with addiction.  When a person is diagnosed with a condition that could be potentially fatal to themselves and/or others; they have an obligation to do their best to get it under control and manage it, both for themselves and for others.

Society would certainly look askance at an epileptic who refused to take medication to treat the condition but continued to drive and caused a fatal accident.

While addicts do have brain chemistry to contend with, so do the mentally ill and others.  As an addict, Anne Heche should've realized before she got high that she should not drive and either not used at that moment or arranged other transportation. In Anne's case, she may have had an overwhelming compulsion to use, but she didn't have an overwhelming compulsion to drive.  It's the driving while high that is the problem here.

We can all love the sinner but hate the sin.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 11

Most states have driving license laws for people with epilepsy.  My state requires a year without a seizure episode and a doctor’s letter to DMV.  Here’s a link about CA.  I read the discussion above about how people with medicals conditions are allowed to drive. 

https://www.epilepsy.com/lifestyle/driving-and-transportation/laws/california

I’m not sure what the cause is for the recent rise in drivers running into buildings, homes, restaurants, but it’s quite alarming.  I’ve seen 3 like it in my area, since Heche’s happened and in one of them  2 brothers were killed while eating breakfast!  

Does anyone know where Heche was going when she crashed?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Sad 3
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Most states have driving license laws for people with epilepsy.  My state requires a year without a seizure episode and a doctor’s letter to DMV.  Here’s a link about CA.  I read the discussion above about how people with medicals conditions are allowed to drive. 

I’m not sure what the cause is for the recent rise in drivers running into buildings, homes, restaurants, but it’s quite alarming.  I’ve seen 3 like it in my area, since Heche’s happened and in one of them  2 brothers were killed while eating breakfast!  

Does anyone know where Heche was going when she crashed?  

Absolutely.  Both my kids have epilepsy and I am part of many epilepsy groups and the vast majority of those kids aren’t able to drive (which is understandable). 

It’s happened in my town too! I remember one car drove right into a 7-11 near me.  

• Sad 6
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, they do, but there is no real enforcement of it.  The police aren't out there randomly checking license plates to see if a driver has a suspended license.  It's an honor system and there is nothing to stop an epileptic from driving except their own sense of right and wrong.  Sure, family or friends might report them, but usually don't.   Unless they are caught in the act after something bad has happened, the suspension of their license until they get medical clearance is not easily enforced.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1
32 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Absolutely.  Both my kids have epilepsy and I am part of many epilepsy groups and the vast majority of those kids aren’t able to drive (which is understandable). 

It’s happened in my town too! I remember one car drove right into a 7-11 near me.  

My niece has a serious seizure condition (TCS) and will never drive.  As a type I diabetic, I wear a CGM, so I always know my blood sugar level and can avoid event.  I’m not sure what is causing the drivers to hit buildings, crowds in parades, sportin events, etc.It’s bizarre.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My niece has a serious seizure condition (TCS) and will never drive.  As a type I diabetic, I wear a CGM, so I always know my blood sugar level and can avoid event.  I’m not sure what is causing the drivers to hit buildings, crowds in parades, sportin events, etc.It’s bizarre.  

Type 1 here as well with a CGM and know not to drive when high or low because I know it affects my driving.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Now that y'all mention it, I do know of several local-ish instances of people driving into buildings. It's happened multiple times at the eye clinic one of my coworkers' husbands runs, and it's also happened once at a friend's former boss's place of business. In all instances, the driver was an older woman who blacked out but didn't have any known medical conditions and they weren't driving under the influence. I never heard any follow-ups on what caused the accidents, though fortunately nobody was hurt. 

As for addiction, my family has a lot of alcoholics on both sides. (Both parents, all my brothers, a grandparent, and numerous cousins, aunts, and uncles either have been or are alcoholics.) I'm pretty sure I have an addictive personality myself, so I've made the choice to not drink because I strongly suspect I'd have a pretty severe problem controlling it if I did. I have sympathy for people who have an addiction and I also have adopted the policy in my family of being supportive of them when they are trying and not enabling when they're not trying, but I'm really alarmed by the idea that just because you have an addiction problem, you are powerless to control it. Yes it is harder and more complicated than "just don't do it," but I don't think that you abdicate responsibility for your actions because you have an addiction or that you are incapable of not drinking or acting on that addiction. Otherwise, nobody would ever get sober. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, patriciahelenkit said:

If I ever had the idea that addiction was something a person could just stop doing by choice, it was well-rebutted by watching my mother battle and eventually lose to her smoking habit. It was a vicious, self-perpetuating cycle: people that my mother needed because of her failing health eventually refused to come because of the fog of smoke and the ciggarette smell that would linger in their clothes…and the increasing isolation depressed her so she smoked more and more.

My mother died of a smoking related heart attack in the Royal Melbourne Hospital in September last year.

I've heard people say smoking is a harder to quit than heroin.  I quit smoking 19 years ago. I did it cold turkey.  But I'm an outlier.   I'm incredibly stubborn and they kept raising the price and I wanted to spend money on shoes more than I wanted to spend money on cigarettes.  The stubborn streak is a family trait.  My son kicked his drug addiction ten and a half years ago.  It wasn't easy and it took a few attempts but after losing my husband, his step father, he didn't want me to lose him too.  You need a very strong support system around you when you are trying to get clean.  You have to separate yourself from people who are not going to be supportive.  I wonder if Anne had anyone in her corner or if those that tried had given up.  

• Like 1
  • Love 13

We also don't understand why one person becomes an addict and another doesn't. There are people who drink alcohol and don't become alcoholics. Children don't say they want to be addicts when they grow up.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
On 8/16/2022 at 6:01 PM, Cinnabon said:

In some prisons, it’s estimated that up to half of the inmates are there for crimes committed due to their addictions because there aren’t any local appropriate addiction treatment facilities. 

Quick fact: The U.S. prison system is the number one mental health provider in the U.S.

19 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I get really angry when people are reduced to the word "addict" or "junkie." Somehow it's so dehumanizing to reduce people to this one trait. I see this on twitter all the time -- he/she is an "addict".

I worked somewhere where we treated these individuals. Every year we were given a handout for appropriate language to use. Words like "addict," "user," "drunk," etc...are out of date and offensive. The preferred and used terminology is "person with a substance use disorder." 

18 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Back to celeb news: Bennifer are apparently planning a big wedding.

Love that for them.

12 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

The Academy is also holding An Evening of Conversation, Healing, and Celebration with Sacheen Littlefeather September 17th of this year. 

https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-museum-welcomes-sacheen-littlefeather-evening-conversation-healing-and-celebration

She deserves it. The Academy acted so sanctimoniously over "The Slap" as if The Academy and its members behavior towards Littlefeather at the 1973 Oscars weren't questionable.  I'm glad Sacheen Littlefeather is still here to receive an apology and tell her story.

I am happy she's finally receiving the recognition and respect that she deserves. She's an incredible woman, and what she did took a momentous amount of bravery. I respect the hell out of her.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

We also don't understand why one person becomes an addict and another doesn't. There are people who drink alcohol and don't become alcoholics. Children don't say they want to be addicts when they grow up.

Maybe not openly but in families where those who have addictions get catered to by other members of the family, it's not unknown for children in those families to think that if they also become addicts they TOO will get catered to and/ or they can seek out those who WILL cater to them if no one in their family will do so just as they've seen demonstrated in front of them!

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Maybe not openly but in families where those who have addictions get catered to by other members of the family, it's not unknown for children in those families to think that if they also become addicts they TOO will get catered to and/ or they can seek out those who WILL cater to them if no one in their family will do so just as they've seen demonstrated in front of them!

There’s a genetic component for sure. I used to work with someone where everyone in his family struggled with alcoholism. They didn’t even like to drink. They just had to.

• Love 1

Taylor Lautner, who used to date Taylor Swift, is engaged to a nurse named Taylor Dome.  When they get married, she's going to take his last name, so they will both be Taylor Lautner.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 18
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

Taylor Lautner, who used to date Taylor Swift, is engaged to a nurse named Taylor Dome.  When they get married, she's going to take his last name, so they will both be Taylor Lautner.

Why is there no 'FFS, that's a stupid idea' icon? Because FFS, that's a stupid idea.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Why is there no 'FFS, that's a stupid idea' icon? Because FFS, that's a stupid idea

My cousins' last name is Tandy and his wife is named Amanda. We call her Mandy. And yes, she kept her maiden name to hyphenate because she's not a moron.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, FancyRhubarb said:

My cousins' last name is Tandy and his wife is named Amanda. We call her Mandy. And yes, she kept her maiden name to hyphenate because she's not a moron.

I have two last names with a hyphen in between. Good work to her!

3 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Could that potentially cause issues with two Taylor Lautners living at the same address?

If it's anything like the chaos my grandmother and cousin have experienced living in the same town with the same name (but different middle initials and at different addresses and with very different dates of birth), yes. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Could that potentially cause issues with two Taylor Lautners living at the same address?

Besides that, I was thinking issues might come up regarding documents that need signatures; and actually, even those that don't.

Edited by Trini
oy, grammar
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Zella said:

If it's anything like the chaos my grandmother and cousin have experienced living in the same town with the same name (but different middle initials and at different addresses and with very different dates of birth), yes. 

My college roommate was a guy named Kim Leslie.  He kept getting mail addressed to Ms. Kim Leslie.  So he started using his full name, Kimbrough Leslie.  So he started getting mail addressed to Ms. Leslie Kimbrough.

• LOL 15
58 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Not our circus, not our monkeys.... *LOL*

They'll probably have a baby they name Taylor.  And it will be Taylor III.  Or "Trey" as people love to nickname kids that are the 3rd.   And it will be a girl. 

Celebs are so into that crap.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
On 8/17/2022 at 11:34 AM, Notabug said:

Yes, they do, but there is no real enforcement of it.  The police aren't out there randomly checking license plates to see if a driver has a suspended license.  It's an honor system and there is nothing to stop an epileptic from driving except their own sense of right and wrong.  Sure, family or friends might report them, but usually don't.   Unless they are caught in the act after something bad has happened, the suspension of their license until they get medical clearance is not easily enforced.

Hell, plenty of people are out there all the time driving without a license or insurance. Or even any drivers’ training. Most just don’t get caught. Much like gun owners.🥲

21 hours ago, kathyk24 said:
Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Awww, they were so cute after meeting on Mad Men. 

Interesting in light of the news last year that there was internal investigations over his juvenile and inappropriate behavior while filming a HBO Max series. Him needing an on set monitor seemed very suspicious and she didn’t seem like the type to turn a blind eye. 
https://www.thewrap.com/titans-star-vincent-kartheiser-investigated-for-multiple-on-set-misconduct-accusations/amp/

17 minutes ago, Dani said:

she didn’t seem like the type to turn a blind eye. 

If that's the case, though, it's interesting that he's the one who filed rather than her. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

How is that “protecting” her? From what?

I thought it might be protecting her privacy and from scrutiny particularly if the split is because of his bad behavior. She is extremely private. So much so that it is only known that they have a child because one of her costars revealed it in an interview. 

This time it’s Bodies Bodies Bodies star Amandla Stenberg, who sent a weird DM to Lena Wilson, the critic who wrote a negative review of the film in the New York Times. 

[...] So it seems weird that Stenberg seemingly singled out Wilson, sending the critic a DM that read “ur review was great, maybe if you had gotten ur eyes off my tits you could’ve watched the movie!”

The only mention of tits anywhere in Wilson’s review comes in one line, when she calls Bodies Bodies Bodies “a 95-minute advertisement for cleavage and Charli XCX’s latest single.” To Wilson’s credit, there is a lot of cleavage in the movie but it is certainly not the focal point of her review.

On TikTok, Wilson posted the screenshot and said that she was “devastated” to receive the message, stating that she was a “genuine, huge fan of [Stenberg’s].” In the screenshot you can see that Wilson has blocked Stenberg, which is probably for the best but is sad to see for those of us who love gossip and drama.

Wilson seemed to especially take issue with what she perceived as homophobia in Stenberg’s DM, saying the accusation boiled down to “Local Dyke Cannot Stop Talking About Boobies.” (Stenberg herself is gay.)

“I’m posting [the screenshot] because I don’t want this person who has more social power than me to think that it’s fucking okay to do something like this,” Wilson said in her TikTok. She also wrote in the comments that “it also really seems like she might be going through something so. truly wishing the best.” 

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/amandla-stenberg-dm-bodies-bodies-bodies-new-york-times-critic-lena-wilson

“I’m receiving a lot of commentary on the internet for being a very naughty girl and for sending a DM that I thought was hilarious,” the actress said. “There’s this film critic and her name is Lena Wilson and she writes for the New York Times. She described [the movie] as a ‘95-minute advertisement for cleavage,’ which I thought was hilarious. I’m proud that a piece of work that I was part of was described as such in such a renowned publication.”

Stenberg went on to explain that she thought that since she is gay and Wilson is gay, that they would both think her DM was funny. Wilson did not think it was hilarious, and instead stated that she was “devastated” by it. Listen, sometimes it’s hard to read someone’s tone on the internet, we’ve all made our little jokes that don’t land.

The Hunger Games actress then took on a more serious tone, saying that Wilson’s comment had stuck with her because she has faced a lot of commentary on her chest throughout her career.

“I wrote this tank top in this movie because me and the costumed designer felt it fit the character well. I do get tired of people talking about my chest. There seems to be a lot of unwarranted conversation about my chest,” Stenberg said.

Stenberg wrapped up her video by saying, “Lena, I thought your review was hilarious. I thought my DM was funny. I did not mean to harass you. I do not wish you any harm. You are allowed to have your criticism on my work and I’m allowed to have my criticisms of your work. I wish you the best.” A “bless your heart” to end all “bless your heart”-s.

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/amandla-stenberg-responds-to-terrified-nyt-critic-lighten-up-mama

I can't with the NYT critic who immediately jumps to feeling victimized by a DM.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I can't with the NYT critic who immediately jumps to feeling victimized by a DM.

Oh spare me.

The victimhood in that whole piece is eye roll worthy. 

Did she really claim fear of Amandla's larger social power as a potential threat to her from a private DM?  A DM that none of Amandla's fanbase or anyone else would have seen if she herself had not made it public?

Nevermind she is a NYT  critic which lends her a lot of social power herself? 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Zella said:

If that's the case, though, it's interesting that he's the one who filed rather than her. 

Often the one at fault will file first -- to "get their story out first."   They somehow think that by being the Plaintiff in a family law action that gives them priority or makes them more believable.   In family law, SOMEONE has to file.   Doesn't matter whose first.   The other side can counter claim.   And WILL be heard.  But non-lawyers don't know that.   They think Plaintiff means you are the victim.   It's not a civil suit where the one harmed is the plaintiff filing against the person who did the harm.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Often the one at fault will file first -- to "get their story out first."   They somehow think that by being the Plaintiff in a family law action that gives them priority or makes them more believable.   In family law, SOMEONE has to file.   Doesn't matter whose first.   The other side can counter claim.   And WILL be heard.  But non-lawyers don't know that.   They think Plaintiff means you are the victim.   It's not a civil suit where the one harmed is the plaintiff filing against the person who did the harm.

Hell, it could have been a coin flip.  She may have asked him to take care of all the legal stuff and she'd take care of their kid.  He should be about 7 by now, so his wellbeing is going to be paramount. 

She'll probably stay in their house with the kid to minimize disruption & VK finds his own place.  

It's no big deal really who files if it's mutual for both parties.  

• Useful 4
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Often the one at fault will file first -- to "get their story out first." 

Yep. Or the one who doesn't want the divorce will file once they realize they may not be able to change their spouse's mind and don't want to look like the jilted party.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3