Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m sure that’s true but that is so fucking depressing to me. This mindset within Hollywood that the have this diverse person so this other person isn’t necessary to show they’re diverse.

True dat.  There is a long and continuing history of Highlander Syndrome in Hollywood when it comes to traditionally non-represented groups. 

In any case it is all supposition.  We have no idea what really went down or even if 'repping diversity' even factored into Disney's decision to invite or not invite Rachel.  I suspect it was more about logistics, money, and navigating the Covid new world order more than anything else in this particular case.

• Love 14
21 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Because she was in London, she was invited to the BAFTAS and she was part of the London contingent for the Critic Choice Awards.  It stands to reason that she would have been invited to the Oscars if she was not on location.  Which is what happens as a working actor, sometimes you miss an award show or two.  

She wasn't invited to the BAFTAS. She was Mike Faist's plus one. She didn't get her own invite there, there were no GGs, I don't believe she attended the SAG awards. I can't say I blame her for wanting to go to the Oscars and being a little sour about the lack of invites coming her way.

• Love 14

I figure Disney did the math.  They had fewer tickets than normal, and frankly she isn't the break out star of West Side Story.  Ariana DeBose is.  And if it comes down to promoting diversity, then Disney didn't even have to worry about that either because  Ariana ticks off more boxes than Rachel. 

Not to unpack a whole can of worms about colorism but there's a reason Rachel can even be cast as Snow White without inspiring the furor of Halle Bailey in TLM. I think she took advantage of the bad optics and took a risk that it would pay off for her to let her fans and certain internet folks work themselves into a small frenzy. But come on, for all this stuff about her being the lead of a Best Picture nominee and a star on the rise, no one has cared about West Side Story this awards season beyond for Ariana DeBose. I still want to see the movie at some point but it was a flop at the box office (like majorly) and it got a mixed reception from the actual Latine community, even with the rewrites.

• Love 5

This child will be in everybody's rearview by the time the cheese is cold on the last Wolfgang Puck pizza served at the PEOPLE magazine Oscar afterparty. 

There are no guarantees for "leading ladies".   Mena Suvari?  Bridget Fonda?  LeeLee Sobieski?  Mira Sorvino?  Mira DID get nominated for best actress & won.  Today she's nowheresville.  

Girl's got her 15 minutes, she might as well milk it now.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

This child will be in everybody's rearview by the time the cheese is cold on the last Wolfgang Puck pizza served at the PEOPLE magazine Oscar afterparty. 

There are no guarantees for "leading ladies".   Mena Suvari?  Bridget Fonda?  LeeLee Sobieski?  Mira Sorvino?  Mira DID get nominated for best actress & won.  Today she's nowheresville.  

Girl's got her 15 minutes, she might as well milk it now.

True. Ten years ago Jennifer Lawrence was blasted into mainstream household recognition and now everyone is obsessed with Anya Taylor Joy or Florence Pugh instead.There are surprises though- in 2008 did anyone think that Bella Swann would be an Oscar nominated actress or that Edward Cullen would become the third best movie Batman?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m sure that’s true but that is so fucking depressing to me. This mindset within Hollywood that the have this diverse person so this other person isn’t necessary to show they’re diverse.

I've seen a few interviews with Stephanie Beatriz and Melissa Fumero of Brooklyn 99 on their reactions to both of them being cast. They were both terrified someone would realized they'd hired 2 Latina characters and kept waiting for the inevitable storyline where one would die in the line of duty and replaced by a white character. Fortunately, the show had really hired for talent and kept them both (I think Rosa had originally been pictured as white and they rewrote a few things for her).

• Love 12

So how about The Slap?

I remember Will Smith on Fresh Air a few months ago to promote this movie.  So well-spoken and thoughtful.

Was he overcompensating to protect his wife given their past marital problems?

Jada didn’t seem too pleased by Rock’s joke, which isn’t the first time he went at her.

But it seems they are friendly or have been in the past for Rock to make this crack about something that some older women might be sensitive about.  Would he have made a similar joke about someone whom he didn’t know well?

Also Chris may not have expected Will to do what he did because he knew them socially?  His reaction seemed to be part feigned shock but still smiling.

Will didn’t close his fist or wail on him repeatedly.  Would he have slapped a bigger guy than Chris?

Edited by aghst
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, aghst said:

Was he overcompensating to protect his wife given their past marital problems?

Honestly I do think that.  Like maybe he didn't get to slap the guy Jada was "close" to but he sure as fuck was going to slap Chris Rock. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Honestly would anyone be talking about the Oscar's now if not for this?

Yes. People were predicting doom and gloom before this. Even outside Will Smith, by all accounts the whole thing was terrible. There would still be plenty to talk about.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think it was staged. 

I watched live and there was no way that was staged. Staged things in award shows are smooth and this was anything but. Plus there are actual calls for Will to be arrested, if it was staged someone would have spoken up to calm the furor.

4 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

If it was staged Chris Rock is a much better actor people give him credit for. He was shocked.

Also, this. 

Edited by Guest

I can't stand either one, but Will just guaranteed his asshat meme status for a while. 

So unprofessional, so inappropriate, so unnecessary and so classless.   

His poor little wife Jada can't defend herself against a half-ass comedian if she feels insulted by him.  Boo Hoo. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

I can't stand either one, but Will just guaranteed his asshat meme status for a while. 

So unprofessional, so inappropriate, so unnecessary and so classless.   

His poor little wife Jada can't defend herself against a half-ass comedian if she feels insulted by him.  Boo Hoo.

That's a terrible attitude. She's not bald willingly, it isn't for a part, her hair started falling out. Chris Rock needs better material. He's the real arsehole here.

• Love 19

I am seeing Will Smith slaps Chris Rock all over the internet and all I am interpreting is that I am glad I did not watch the Oscars. I have nothing against award shows. I feel, just as with any profession, it is nice to be recognized by your peers and fans, but award shows have been boring to me for some time.

Also, I don't mind Rock but find Smith to be annoying.

I agree with those of you who thought Rock's joke was offensive though.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 8
Just now, Anduin said:

That's a terrible attitude. She's not bald willingly, it isn't for a part, her hair started falling out. Chris Rock needs better material. He's the real arsehole here.

Do you known how many years she bleached and tortured her hair?  Go back to before she had her own talk show & her own personal platform for things all about HER and her family. 

And that is so NOT the point.  Celebs get dragged for physical attributes ALL THE TIME on these stupid shows.  

How is Jada Pinkett so precious that she can't take a little aimed at her?  Other celebs seem to do just fine without condoning physical violence on their behalf!

• Love 8
On 3/25/2022 at 5:21 PM, methodwriter85 said:

True. Ten years ago Jennifer Lawrence was blasted into mainstream household recognition and now everyone is obsessed with Anya Taylor Joy or Florence Pugh instead.There are surprises though- in 2008 did anyone think that Bella Swann would be an Oscar nominated actress or that Edward Cullen would become the third best movie Batman?

That's ALSO Harvey Weinstein!  I have no doubt that he pushed stories about her in the media for like those 3 years surrounding Silver Linings Playbook.

On 3/26/2022 at 12:06 AM, akg said:

I've seen a few interviews with Stephanie Beatriz and Melissa Fumero of Brooklyn 99 on their reactions to both of them being cast. They were both terrified someone would realized they'd hired 2 Latina characters and kept waiting for the inevitable storyline where one would die in the line of duty and replaced by a white character. Fortunately, the show had really hired for talent and kept them both (I think Rosa had originally been pictured as white and they rewrote a few things for her).

Not only did Brooklyn 99 have two Latinas in the main cast, but 2 Black men in the main cast.  

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think it was staged. 

It wasn't... 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
5 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

How is Jada Pinkett so precious that she can't take a little aimed at her?  Other celebs seem to do just fine without condoning physical violence on their behalf!

IS there any reason to believe she encouraged her husband to behave the way he did?  And after the fact what was she supposed to do?  If she is publicly supportive of her husband that is hardly surprising - I am betting what is being said behind closed doors though is likely not "my hero".

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

I really hate the idea that someone who is hurt or offended by an offensive joke is just “too sensitive” or “can’t take a joke”. Yes, these awards shows joke about physical appearance all the time but that doesn’t make it okay. She didn’t even do anything and she is still being targeted for hate.

Having said all of that, Will Smith is an asshole who crossed a line. 

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

She didn’t even do anything and she is still being targeted for hate.

This.  I really don't understand this at all.  Unless she has a history of encouraging her husband to fight her battles - including physically attacking people - why is this her fault?  Chris Rock was a nasty jerk basically right to her face and Will Smith overreacted and made a complete and total fool of himself.  They both need to own where they were wrong - she didn't do anything yet somehow she gets grief?  Talk about it still being a man's world!

• Love 24
23 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Do you known how many years she bleached and tortured her hair?  Go back to before she had her own talk show & her own personal platform for things all about HER and her family. 

And that is so NOT the point.  Celebs get dragged for physical attributes ALL THE TIME on these stupid shows.  

Jada is at no way at fault here. Her reaction was just an eye roll and a headshake. Will is the one who took it there. Jada has never struck me as the damsel in distress type, so I don't think she was exactly happy with Will's reaction. I have no doubt we will find out exactly what she, her mom and her daughter all thought about this on an upcoming episode of Red Table Talk, though.

• Love 19

They could have just fake laughed it off, smile through gritted teeth because cracks are common — I never watch awards shows so I didn’t know they roasted people.

I haven’t seen Chris perform in probably 10 years or more.  Taking shots at celebrities wasn’t his thing.  That’s why I wonder if he’s friendly with them and thought he could make a joke about something she herself has been upfront about.

But the reaction blew up his incident.  If they pretended not to be offended, the joke would have been forgotten.

Then Will having to give what is described as a rambling acceptance speech, tearing up, just magnified it.

If it was a stupid joke it could have been forgotten or Chris would have looked bad hair-shaming.  But Will created headlines and caused more people to watch the joke and the reactions today than they would have otherwise.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't think it was staged either. I know they're all a bunch of actors/professional performers, but to me, the vibe was that really awkward confusion that reins when something genuinely weird and unexpected happens. 

I think both Chris Rock and Will Smith come out of this looking really bad. I personally had no clue that Jada had a medical condition that was causing her to lose her hair before all this, but I soon learned that she's been very open about it for a few years, so I do think someone in the show prep should have realized that joke was in very poor taste. It wasn't funny, anyway, regardless of whether or not you know she has alopecia. 

But Will Smith stomping up there to slap Rock over it made it all about his feelings, rather than his wife's, and also, in my opinion, is incredibly unfair to the other winners because, again, it made everything all about him. There were some historic wins yesterday, but nobody is talking about that. I feel particularly bad for Questlove, since he's the one who got to come up on stage immediately after, and for Jessica Chastain and the CODA Best Picture winners since their win came afterwards, too, and I seriously doubt anyone was paying much attention to any of them during their big moment. 

I agree that the alopecia comment was a cheap shot. Still, Jada handled it well. Her hubby on the other hand...

Assuming Questlove is back in NYC today, Jimmy Fallon will give him all the time he wants to make a proper speech. Still not fair that Rock and Smith robbed Quest and the winners that followed their moments. 

Smith also robbed himself!! No one is talking about the fact that he is only the fifth Black man to win the Best Actor Oscar. Good going.

• Love 7
Just now, Prairie Rose said:

Smith also robbed himself!! No one is talking about the fact that he is only the fifth Black man to win the Best Actor Oscar. Good going.

Yes I thought about that too! Anytime his win is mentioned it's within the context of him slapping Chris Rock. Nobody is talking about his win on its own merits, and all the attention on his acceptance speech is parsing its relationship to him slapping Rock. 

• Love 12

I think/hope this bites him, especially since no one was ever saying Will won the Oscar because he was a revelation as Richard Williams.  No, it was much more about how he should get it because he’s a good guy who paid his dues and has a good body of work.  Now people might be scrutinizing him a little more to realize he’s not all that.

Again, not a good sign that you are now the example people can point to when explaining the concept of toxic masculinity to someone.

• Love 15
53 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes I thought about that too! Anytime his win is mentioned it's within the context of him slapping Chris Rock. Nobody is talking about his win on its own merits, and all the attention on his acceptance speech is parsing its relationship to him slapping Rock. 

He's the fifth Black Best Actor Oscar winner, following Sidney Poitier, Denzel Washington, Jamie Foxx and Forest Whitaker. His speech should have had him acknowledging them. Still, he has only himself to blame.

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think/hope this bites him, especially since no one was ever saying Will won the Oscar because he was a revelation as Richard Williams.  No, it was much more about how he should get it because he’s a good guy who paid his dues and has a good body of work.  Now people might be scrutinizing him a little more to realize he’s not all that.

Again, not a good sign that you are now the example people can point to when explaining the concept of toxic masculinity to someone.

Some of the conversation is also about how Will didn't have this reaction when Jada got involved with someone else. Maybe that's how their marriage works, I have no idea, but even if it is he's done himself no favors here. If anything, it'd be even weirder if it was a staged incident to 'liven things up', because as was said that's what people are talking about now and not even Will's Oscar. So what have they accomplished besides giving the meme people fodder to work with for the next year or so?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

From all I can see here, I am glad I didn't -- not just because the reports of the ceremony just seemed joyless... but all the convo about Will/Chris seems to have overshadowed the people who won.

There actually were some incredibly joyful moment. Troy Kotsur’s win with the presenter signing his name before speaking it and the audience signing their applause rather than clapping was wonderful. His speech and the other CODA winners were real highlights. The production aspects were bad by Amy Schumur had some really good moments and the winners gave really good speeches. 

Edited by Guest

Wow some of the takes are vicious.

Supposedly Will condoned Jada's extramarital affairs?

So Rock could have gone harder at them, "keep my wife's name out of your mouth, but feel free to put your cock in her mouth."

• LOL 1
Just now, aghst said:

Supposedly Will condoned Jada's extramarital affairs?

Haven't they admitted they have an open marriage?  Or have they still not said that while basically saying that's the case?

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Haven't they admitted they have an open marriage?  Or have they still not said that while basically saying that's the case?

This is just my impression but I think Will goes along with the open marriage because it's what Jada wants, not what he wants.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I read a really convoluted timeline this morning of their comments on it. They started out denying it but have since come around to saying it is an open marriage, largely after August Alsina was pretty messy in their breakup a couple of years ago and kept spouting off on social media. But they also clarify that relationship happened when she and Will were separated. Alsina was claiming that Will Smith knew that Alsina was with Jada and had his blessing, but Jada denied that.

I am not entirely sure if they were cagey about it because they didn't want to advertise publicly the fact their marriage was open or if they've just decided that is the easiest way to talk about it, even if the circumstances don't line up with how people think of open marriages. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

This is just my impression but I think Will goes along with the open marriage because it's what Jada wants, not what he wants.

Maybe but there have been rumors of him also having extra-marital relationships so it might be her idea but he seems to be on board.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't even think Chris rocks joke was that bad.  I've heard much worse at awards shows or similar events. 

Granted not a very timely or funny joke but on the personally insulting scale not that high.  

I personally was more offended by Rock's whole bit with Penelope and Javier than the words he spoke about Jada, but I am not Jada.  She is sensitive about her hair (as are many black women) and she was offended. Chris also should know about talking about a black woman and her hair after he did a whole documentary about "good hair."  

• Love 18
40 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't even think Chris rocks joke was that bad.  I've heard much worse at awards shows or similar events. 

Granted not a very timely or funny joke but on the personally insulting scale not that high.  

My thoughts as well - the joke was pretty tame.  Plus Jada looks gorgeous with short hair/shaved head - always has.

Will totally overreacted and now all people can talk about is the slap, their open marriage...etc

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

He had a sexist joke about Penelope and Javier and earlier Amy Schumer had an incest joke about Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Nobody got slapped there

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think/hope this bites him, especially since no one was ever saying Will won the Oscar because he was a revelation as Richard Williams.  

I can't imagine the Williams family being thrilled by all this, either.

• Love 10

Alec Baldwin literally killed someone(accidentally ) and I didn't feel this bad. I felt bad for the poor woman and her family but for Baldwin(whose work I liked )"Well his career is over." Like a shrug. And I grew up watching the Fresh Prince and enjoyed Smith's movies but wasn't a devoted fan or anything.

A couple of years ago Chris Rock was interviewed by Charlie Rose(the irony) and he talked how black celebrities have to deal with bigger pressure than white celebrities "Tom Hanks is a great actor. Denzel Washington is a GOD to his people." The burden put on Denzel's shoulders is enormous compared to someone like Tom Cruise. When Sidney Poitier died the videos of Jamie Foxx telling the story of how when he was nominated for the Oscar for RAY and he was partying and being wild Oprah invited him to Quincy Jones' house where there was a birthday party for Poitier. Poitier and all the older black actors had to let Foxx know what this moment meant and not to blow it.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Useful 10
34 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

He had a sexist joke about Penelope and Javier and earlier Amy Schumer had an incest joke about Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Nobody got slapped there

There was also the Regina Hall is a desperate single women who wants to molest several handsome actors and did a Covid pat down of Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin bit that went on way to long. The Oscars deserves some backlash for a lot of sexist aspects in the show. 

Edited by Guest

I've heard a lot of comments along the lines of what Smith did overshadowing everything else about the ceremony last night and of course that's true but in another way it isn't.  People are actually talking about the Academy Awards - and a lot of people are going out of their way to give some credit to the other winners in a way that I'm not sure would have happened otherwise. 

I mean the people who follow the awards would have been talking but the rest of us who really don't likely would have noted the list of winners, shrugged and moved on.  Now I know about the movie Coda, I know who Ariana DeBose is and that she won her Oscar for the same role Rita Moreno won hers for back in the day (which is pretty cool), I also know that Lin Manuel Miranda was nominated (didn't win but I didn't even know he was nominated!).  

Anyway in a twisted kind of way I think the slap heard around the world may actually have given the Oscars a boost in the court of public attention anyway.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

It's weird. There have been celebrities who have done way worse things but this just made me sad and depressed for some reason.

I have to say I am getting a bit of a kick out of some of the reactions from people regarding all of this at some of the sites I go to - they're all, "Will should've been hauled off stage/arrested!", but a lot of them are the same ones who'll turn around and trip over themselves to defend some celebrity they like who's been accused of sexual assault or other similar awful crimes, and will be all, "Separate the art from the artist!" 

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I have to say I am getting a bit of a kick out of some of the reactions from people regarding all of this at some of the sites I go to - they're all, "Will should've been hauled off stage/arrested!", but a lot of them are the same ones who'll turn around and trip over themselves to defend some celebrity they like who's been accused of sexual assault or other similar awful crimes, and will be all, "Separate the art from the artist!" 

I have to say that my opinion on the matter is that I don't care.  This is between Will and Chris and maybe Jada.  I don't really have an opinion on any celebrity as a person.  

• Love 4