Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

Not to belabor this story, but it’s alleged Will’s wife laughed heartily after her husband slapped Chris.  Odd behavior.  Most were traumatized.  

I saw some Zapruder film jokes on twitter that night and truly people are being too much still looking for evidence now days later. Many people laughed. At that point, it wasn't clear what happened and if it was a bit and Chris Rock put a funny spin on his delivery when he reacted. Everyone got silent when Will started shouting at the stage. 

• Love 5

OK, I hope this won't be considered misogynistic or misandristic but here goes:

IMO, it was wrong for Mr. Smith to walk on the Oscar stage and slap Mr. Rock after he said what he said and it was ultimately Mr. Smith's choice to have done so . Thus, he needs to take his medicine on this.

IMO, it ALSO was wrong for Ms. Pickett-Smith to evidently laugh at Mr. Smith accosting Mr. Rock and it was ultimately Ms. Pickett-Smith's choice to have done so. Thus, she needs to take her medicine on this. 

• Love 15
(edited)
22 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, there's been a lot of ugly moments at the Oscars that are being conveniently forgot about. 

Yeah, let's not forget that when Marie Louise Cruz( who called herself Sacheen Littlefeather) turned down the 1973 Best Actor Oscar on behalf of Marlon Brando for The Godfather to read his statement about how unfairly Native Americans had been depicted in Hollywood productions ,  evidently John Wayne became so furious at her voicing this POV that he attempted to storm the stage  to pull her off but, according to Miss Cruz, was only stopped from doing so by six security men guarding the stage!  

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/03/31/john-wayne-sacheen-littlefeather/

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
34 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, let's not forget that when Marie Louise Cruz( who called herself Sacheen Littlefeather) turned down the 1973 Best Actor Oscar on behalf of Marlon Brando for The Godfather to read his statement about how unfairly Native Americans had been depicted in Hollywood productions ,  evidently John Wayne became so furious at her voicing this POV that he attempted to storm the stage  to pull her off but, according to Miss Cruz, was only stopped from doing so by six security men guarding the stage!  

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/03/31/john-wayne-sacheen-littlefeather/

That's horrible!

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Blergh said:

evidently John Wayne became so furious at her voicing this POV that he attempted to storm the stage  to pull her off but, according to Miss Cruz, was only stopped from doing so by six security men guarding the stage! 

Yes, that's one of the five uglier moments listed in the posted article to which that quote referred.

- Sacheen Littlefeather seeing a raging bull in the wings in the form of John Wayne, and getting backstage to find people making "war cries" at her and miming chopping with a tomahawk

- Hattie McDaniel, the first Black nominee (for Gone With the Wind in 1940 [Supporting Actress]), only being allowed into the ceremony, held at a whites-only club within the Ambassador hotel, as a favor to the film's producer, and being sat away from her castmates, relegated to a small table in the back for her, her guest, and her agent

- Host Seth MacFarlane joking about domestic violence (against Rihanna) and nine-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis almost being old enough for George Clooney to date, and doing as his opening number a song-and-dance ditty called “We Saw Your Boobs” in which he named a bunch of women in the audience who'd appeared in scenes in which their breasts were visible

- Roman Polanski, who wasn't present to accept his Best Director award for The Pianist because he'd fled the country 30 years before to avoid sentencing following his conviction for "unlawful sex" (which involved drugging and raping) with a 13-year-old, receiving a standing ovation

- Harvey Weinstein preying for decades on female actors without any repercussions for Hollywood's most open "secret" because of his reputation as an Oscar maker

• Useful 3
  • Love 19
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

- Host Seth MacFarlane joking about domestic violence (against Rihanna) and nine-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis almost being old enough for George Clooney to date, and doing as his opening number a song-and-dance ditty called “We Saw Your Boobs” in which he named a bunch of women in the audience who'd appeared in scenes in which their breasts were visible

Either I didn't know about this or I completely blocked it out.  What a tool.  That was back in the good ol' days when I didn't watch anything.

• Love 11

I didn't watch the show and don't remember anything about the other stuff he said, but I have always remembered that reprehensible Seth MacFarlane song and the unamused looks on the actresses' faces when it was being sung. I think it generated some disapproving think pieces at the time but then the outcry just died down. 

• Love 4

And even more on the slap

Academy Lied About Asking Will Smith to Leave Oscars

Will Smith was NEVER asked to leave the Oscars after he slapped Chris Rock. In fact, the opposite is true -- he was told by the producer of the show he could stay ... this according to sources with direct knowledge who were present.

Oscars Producer Says LAPD Prepared To Arrest Will Smith Over Chris Rock Slap

The LAPD was standing by and ready to arrest Will Smith for putting hands on Chris Rock at The Oscars -- but Chris waved them off, saying he was fine -- according to the show's producer.

• Useful 11

My cousin's wife died a few months ago, after suffering a rare form of early-onset dementia. They realized something was wrong when she started saying very inappropriate things that she normally never would have. She was a doctor and it was pretty heartbreaking how quickly she went downhill. All those years of work in medical school and practice, just wiped out. She was a strong, opinionated woman and I saw her a year or so after her diagnosis and she was so quiet and got easily confused. Eventually she was reduced to just squeaking, and lost the ability to comprehend any form of communication. He tried to care for her at home but had to put her in a memory care facility because she would get upset and belligerent. There's very little that can be done for cognitive declines. Bruce Willis is lucky to have the resources to be supported and the best medical care money can buy.

3 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

There's very little that can be done for cognitive declines. Bruce Willis is lucky to have the resources to be supported and the best medical care money can buy.

So true.  A family friend's sister-in-law has aphasia, and I have much closer experience with dementia, including my late grandfather.  It's brutal, and there comes a point where even a large, involved family like Willis has cannot go it alone.  Having to bring in professional caretakers or put someone in a care facility blows through assets in a hurry.  This is a terrible thing for Willis and his family, but at least he/they have the financial resources to deal with the logistics in the best ways available.

• Love 18
(edited)
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Not to belabor this story, but it’s alleged Will’s wife laughed heartily after her husband slapped Chris.  Odd behavior.  Most were traumatized.  

https://pagesix.com/2022/03/31/jada-pinkett-smith-seen-laughing-after-will-smith-slap-video/

I watched the clip after reading about it in multiple places and was expecting something different. She laughs after Chris says, “Will Smith just slapped the shit at of me”.  A lot of people laughed at that moment. There’s no indication she laughed before that moment or that she laughs when Will starts yelling. I have watched reports from people who were there at it is pretty consistent that most weren’t traumatized initially because they thought that it was staged. 

As far as I know, we don’t actually have any evidence that Jada was all that upset about the joke. She rolled her eyes during the joke. She didn’t say anything to Will before he got up on stage. Will walks back and she still has very little reaction that we can see. The only reports of her being upset come afterwards when, we now know, Will’s people were having a heated exchange with The Academy people. 

10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I saw some Zapruder film jokes on twitter that night and truly people are being too much still looking for evidence now days later. Many people laughed. At that point, it wasn't clear what happened and if it was a bit and Chris Rock put a funny spin on his delivery when he reacted. Everyone got silent when Will started shouting at the stage. 

This. Watching the clip just made me wonder if Jada also thought it was staged. She didn’t particularly seem upset. That’s consistent with the rest of the audience who didn’t realize it was real until the yelling started. That clip just cemented for me that Jada and her feelings were completely secondary to the whole thing.

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Was her response "Wow, yeah, that was a really stupid thing to say and I'm sorry"?  Otherwise, not worth my time.

No.  Her response was that classic non-apology apology.  Basically she is not at fault, it's YOUR fault for misinterpreting. (emphasis mine)

“It wasn’t a blanket statement towards women or to feel like I don’t respect the work or think that they don’t work hard. I know that they do,” Kardashian said. “It was taken out of context, but I’m really sorry if it was received that way.”

• Useful 4
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

No.  Her response was that classic non-apology apology.  Basically she is not at fault, it's YOUR fault for misinterpreting. (emphasis mine)

IOW, it seems Miss Kardashian is saying that women aren't lazy but if that's how they perceive her original statement, they're dumb and hypersensitive!  Yeah, that REALLY shows just  how much sympathy and compassion she has for them. 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 16
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

and doing as his opening number a song-and-dance ditty called “We Saw Your Boobs” in which he named a bunch of women in the audience who'd appeared in scenes in which their breasts were visible

Maybe I misunderstood the song, but I thought his point was that he only named award-winning actresses and was saying some members of society would only care about their nudes scenes.  I thought it was an attempt to be scathing towards the audience, not degrading toward the women.  Clearly he missed the mark if that was the intent, though.

Actually, I just read the lyrics and he ends by slut shaming Kate Winslet so never mind.  Clearly I was giving him way more credit than he deserved.  Tool.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, Zella said:

I didn't watch the show and don't remember anything about the other stuff he said, but I have always remembered that reprehensible Seth MacFarlane song and the unamused looks on the actresses' faces when it was being sung. I think it generated some disapproving think pieces at the time but then the outcry just died down. 

As will The Slap.  Celebudolts have a way of vaporizing that which shines an unflattering light upon their elite class.  The Weinstein case is an exception which many would still rather not acknowledge.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Was her response "Wow, yeah, that was a really stupid thing to say and I'm sorry"?  Otherwise, not worth my time.

Unfortunately not, but I thought it might give us something to discuss other than the Oscar debacle. 

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Kim could have had just a smidgen of self awareness and said I realize my perspective is coming from a place of privilege but nope she has to do the sorry not really sorry thing and blame people for rightfully understanding and being appalled by what she said.   Taken out of context has now become celebrity code for fuck you for not agreeing with me. 

Agree. I think Kim is comparing herself to other people who grew up in Hollywood with notable well-to-do parents who didn't become super rich and famous. She thinks "so many people live on their trust funds! Most people don't work hard like me!" It reminds me of when I'd hear celebs brag about not having famous fathers or sex tapes. They talk like the vast, vast majority of us do. Most of us are not Kim K or Paris Hilton. 

I wish someone would ask Kim if she think she'd have her immense wealth if she grew up in the middle of nowhere with a single parent who supported the family on $40,000 a year. 

• Love 21
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Host Seth MacFarlane joking about domestic violence (against Rihanna) and nine-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis almost being old enough for George Clooney to date,

That was not the joke.  That joke was that it would 16 years before she was too old for George Clooney to date, meaning that 25 was too old for Clooney.  It was referencing his propensity for dating younger women.

Now, people are allowed to be offended by that joke if they want to be, but it is a different kind of joke.

14 hours ago, Zella said:

but I have always remembered that reprehensible Seth MacFarlane song and the unamused looks on the actresses' faces when it was being sung.

All of that was pre-filmed (every actress shown was wearing a different dress than what they were wearing at the ceremony) and part of the joke.  Again, whether someone found it to be funny or offensive is up to them, but the actresses were in on the joke.

14 hours ago, GaT said:

Academy Lied About Asking Will Smith to Leave Oscars

Will Smith was NEVER asked to leave the Oscars after he slapped Chris Rock. In fact, the opposite is true -- he was told by the producer of the show he could stay ... this according to sources with direct knowledge who were present.

The Academy officials and the producer of the show are different people.  It's entirely possible that Academy officials did ask him to leave but the producer was unaware of that.  At least, the producer said he was unaware of it during the interview I saw on the Today Show (I think) this morning.

• Useful 6
  • Love 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Taken out of context has now become celebrity code for fuck you for not agreeing with me. 

Exactly.

And yet, they never seem to be able to describe exactly WHAT their actual "context" was.  Convenient, huh?  

Deflect, deflect, deflect....

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/29/2022 at 6:51 AM, Spartan Girl said:

It wasn’t even like Jada is the only woman—let alone WOC—to have a shaved or bald head. Why did it even need to be a joke? 

That's what I keep coming back to. Regardless of the medical condition that caused Jada's hair loss, what was the point of the "joke"?  What's even the punchline? It was stupid and unfunny. He looked out on the crowd and saw a woman with a bald head and thought it was remarkable enough to comment on in 2022? Really? Men are still concerned about how women look as though it is a personal affront if we don't conform to what they want to see. Newsflash: women don't exist to please men.  

Edited by Hava
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

That was not the joke.  That joke was that it would 16 years before she was too old for George Clooney to date, meaning that 25 was too old for Clooney.  It was referencing his propensity for dating younger women.

Now, people are allowed to be offended by that joke if they want to be, but it is a different kind of joke.

All of that was pre-filmed (every actress shown was wearing a different dress than what they were wearing at the ceremony) and part of the joke.  Again, whether someone found it to be funny or offensive is up to them, but the actresses were in on the joke.

Right. I don't personally see the harm in joking about someone's propensity for dating younger women. I also think comedians can make fun of almost anything if it's done the right way. I admit I can find some stuff comedians say offensive (like mocking a woman's looks), but if we're going to pick apart their every joke, say goodbye to comedy. 

The saw your boobs skit was so lame and unfunny to me that I didn't like it even if the actresses were in on it, but I'm glad they were because yes otherwise, it just seemed like it was meant to embarrass them. 

• Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Hava said:

That's what I keep coming back to. Regardless of the medical condition that caused Jada's hair loss, what was the point of the joke? It was stupid and unfunny. He looked out on the crowd and saw a woman with a bald head and thought it was remarkable enough to comment on in 2022? Really? Men are still concerned about how women look as though it is a personal affront if we don't conform to what they want to see. Newsflash: women don't exist to please men.  

A woman with a bald head IS still uncommon enough to merit notice, certainly among Hollywood celebrities.  And nothing in what Chris Rock said implied that it was some kind of personal affront.  It might not have been a funny joke but it wasn't some kind of statement that she existed just to please men.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 24
23 minutes ago, Hava said:

Regardless of the medical condition that caused Jada's hair loss, what was the point of the "joke"?  What's even the punchline? It was stupid and unfunny. He looked out on the crowd and saw a woman with a bald head and thought it was remarkable enough to comment on in 2022?

He didn't just look in the audience, see Jada's head, & then decided to make a joke, His routine was already written & planned before he stepped on the stage. It was not a spur of the moment decision.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And he is hosting SNL tomorrow too.

The 'harm' that people probably see is that he would bring a child into a joke about dating or sex at all.

The joke wasn't about the child.  It was about George Clooney.  Plenty of us thought it was funny as hell and weren't the least bit offended.  Those who were are perfectly welcome to be.

2 minutes ago, GaT said:

He didn't just look in the audience, see Jada's head, & then decided to make a joke, His routine was already written & planned before he stepped on the stage. It was not a spur of the moment decision.

Everything I've read so far said that joke was an ad-lib and not something already written for the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The 'harm' that people probably see is that he would bring a child into a joke about dating or sex at all.

To each his own. I didn't take it as sexualizing a child at all. Just a dig at an actor who likes women way younger than him. 

1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

The joke wasn't about the child.  It was about George Clooney.  Plenty of us thought it was funny as hell and weren't the least bit offended.  Those who were are perfectly welcome to be.

Everything I've read so far said that joke was an ad-lib and not something already written for the show.

Ditto. Humor is definitely subjective, as we all may have noticed this past week. 

• Love 5
On 3/31/2022 at 5:07 PM, Rootbeer said:

The announcement itself said that the aphasia caused 'cognitive issues' which seems to me to mean that, at the very least, he cannot express himself in a meaningful way.  The most severe forms of aphasia include losing the ability to understand speech of others.  His family must be devastated if this is happening.

I had a friend who had a brain tumor and developed an expressive aphasia.  At first, he would just use the wrong word, something that happens to a lot of us,  He might say 'table' when he meant 'chair'.  Eventually, he was unable to find words to speak in complete sentences, he spoke in kind of a shorthand.  At the end, he really couldn't speak, but just nodded, grunted or occasionally spoke an understandable word, usually one that had no relation to what he meant to say.  He seemed to understand conversation ok, he did 'forget' how to read.  His frustration at not being able to express even the smallest idea was just heartbreaking.

Something similar happened to my cousin, who died last year of cancer that had spread to his brain. He was given his terminal diagnosis right before the first lockdown, immediately planned to marry his partner of 20 years, and then had to postpone the wedding because of covid - then as his power of speech slowly unravelled, it became a real worry that they wouldn't be able to reschedule before he lost the ability to speak altogether. They did eventually marry, but it was awful to watch him struggling to spit out sentences, and then struggling to spit out a single word, when he'd always been so very sharp and witty.

I feel terrible for Bruce and his family. It is an awful thing to go through.

1 hour ago, Hava said:

Regardless of the medical condition that caused Jada's hair loss, what was the point of the "joke"?  What's even the punchline? It was stupid and unfunny.

That's what I wondered about to. Ok, I get that comedians make insulting, personal jokes about celebrities all the time but shouldn't they at least be funny?

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, SusanM said:

That's what I wondered about to. Ok, I get that comedians make insulting, personal jokes about celebrities all the time but shouldn't they at least be funny?

Humor is subjective.  I found the joke to be vaguely amusing, others found it pretty funny, and still others thought it wasn't funny at all.  Kind of like most humor.

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, SusanM said:

I think even the comedians who are defending Chris Rock would say the joke is not funny. And not in the sense that making fun of people's medical conditions or a woman's appearance is "not funny." But, just in terms of comedy and construction of jokes, it's plainly unfunny. Which I think Chris Rock and any comedian would tell you that is a far worse critique of a joke than the joke being insulting lol. 

Edited by Hava
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Hava said:

I think even the comedians who are defending Chris Rock would say the joke is not funny. And not in the sense that making fun of people's medical conditions or a woman's appearance is "not funny." But, just in terms of comedy and construction of jokes, it's plainly unfunny. Which I think Chris Rock and any comedian would tell you that is a far worse critique of joke then the joke being insulting lol. 

I think that’s true.  Jimmy Kimmel even mentioned that the joke was not really funny when he was on Bill Simmons’ podcast on Sunday night right after it happened.  He was definitely on Chris’s side but just gently noting that it wasn’t much of a “joke.”

That reminds me of my favorite exchange from Seinfeld, when Jerry becomes offended by the religious jokes that former Catholic-turned-Jewish convert Tim Whatley is telling.  He suspects that Tim converted only to be able to tell both Catholic and Jewish jokes without repercussions.  Jerry goes to a priest (I think Tim’s former priest) to complain and mentions that they’re old, unfunny jokes to boot.

The priest says, “And this offends you as a Jewish person?”

Jerry responds, “No!  It offends me as a comedian!” 

Edited by Peace 47
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2
(edited)

There seems to be some confusion about Bruce Willis' diagnosis. Aphasia is caused by brain damage of one kind or another, not the other way round.

It is harder to treat people who have aphasia because of cognitive decline.

There are different kinds of aphasia depending on what kind and when/where the brain damage occurs. Dementia is just one kind of brain damage that may cause aphasia.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/aphasia

Maybe I'm having the wrong impression but it seems to me a lot of news outlets write about the aphasia, which is secondary to his cognitive decline.

Edited by supposebly
  • Useful 7
  • Love 4

Late to the party, but this is all I'm going to say about the Slap, and then I'll never say another word about it.

I'm grateful that it happened.

Why? Because, as a Geriatric Millennial, I am so fucking sick of older generations and how they still-still!-whinge about how we're ruining everything, how entitled we are, blah, blah, blah avocado toast, and how we're overly sensitive and can't take a joke.

To all the Gen-Xers, the Boomers, and beyond: 

I can't think of a single millennial in the public eye who took the trouble to get on stage and smack a comedian for telling an admittedly insensitive, but extremely lame joke (a G.I. Jane joke in 2022??). Will Smith will be 54 this year, making him part of Generation X. He is actually old enough to be a grandfather, and certainly old enough to know better. Yet he saw fit to interrupt an awards ceremony and, while being recorded for posterity, bitch slap one of the most respected comedians around. So I hope people think twice before pissing and moaning about thin-skinned Millennials trying to "cancel" comedy. 

In conclusion, thank you, Mr. Smith.

You exposed the generation before mine's hypocrisy in an almost poetic way, and vindicated Millennials everywhere. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

Don't care what the joke was. Seth MacFarlane should not have used that innocent child to throw shade at a known Hollywood playboy, especially not as she was sitting front and center with her mother. I think probably what he really wanted to do was make a joke about her name but was warned it would look racist. At least Jada was old enough to defend herself even if she chose not to.

• Love 11
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Don't care what the joke was.

Yeah.  And everyone knows that humour is subjective.  Everyone knows that we have permission not to find something funny.  

I kind of think Chris Rock's joke was improvised.  Picturing a writer hunched over a desk, thinking about Jada, what her head looks like, picturing where she's going to sit, and writing this joke for Chris is just so extremely surreal to me.  And then Chris reading that joke?  It's just so hard for me to fathom.  It feels more spur of the moment.  They didn't know that Jada would be there 100% and how she'd look 100%, did they?  It seems like a really weird thing for an Oscars writer to write out.

God do I hate April Fools.  I never know what's real or not.

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 7.09.05 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11
34 minutes ago, supposebly said:

There seems to be some confusion about Bruce Willis' diagnosis. Aphasia is caused by brain damage of one kind or another, not the other way round.

It is harder to treat people who have aphasia because of cognitive decline.

There are different kinds of aphasia depending on what kind and when/where the brain damage occurs. Dementia is just one kind of brain damage that may cause aphasia.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/aphasia

Maybe I'm having the wrong impression but it seems to me a lot of news outlets write about the aphasia, which is secondary to his cognitive decline.

Yes it's hard to say and speculate without more specific information on his case. 

Dementia can cause aphasia, specifically alzheimers type dementia most commonly. 

There is also a specific type of dementia called primary progressive aphasia. 

Then there is vascular disease causing aphasia, strokes damaging the frontal or temporal lobe most commonly. 

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy like football players have, brain tumors, seizures, vascular malformations all possible. 

And others that's a medium sized list of possible common causes and we can't say which it is based on the limited info. 

But my guess would be it's primary progressive aphasia or alzheimers,  both pretty much progressive and irreversible in a traditional sense.  

But again just speculation 

• Useful 8
(edited)

Will Smith's resignation feels drastic but not a big deal at the same time. Like, it's drastic in the sense that it's permanent while I was just expecting the Academy to temporarily suspend him. But it's also not that big of a deal since not being a part of the Academy doesn't seem to have terrible consequences, unless he really cares about voting.

All I can say is I am glad to see that some tangible action and accountability was taken and hope we can all move on now (unless Chris Rock wants to say something).

Edited by Hava
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2