Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Young Love, Old Lions and Middle-aged Hyenas

Pallas
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I saw some comment that josh played by Milo reminds them of Mark(Glenn). Think it might be the hairstyle 

I can see the comparison, yeah. There is a bit of a similarity. The idea of him being rich in comparison to the Conners is an interesting angle to play with. It makes sense that they'd be worried about Harris' boyfriend-they've been there themselves, so naturally they'd want her to avoid making mistakes as well. 

And I can understand Dan feeling as he did this episode, but I'm glad he and Ben talked things out in the end. And I like Ben and Becky working together on the room :).

• Love 7

I really enjoyed this episode. I thought it was engaging and funny. I liked all the story lines and thought Josh was cute. Becky and Jackie fighting over his dad was funny. And wow, Mark's legs are insanely long and distracting, lol. 

I also really liked the storyline with Ben and Becky building the closet. 

• Love 7

I feel really old watching Milo Manheim as an adult. I remember when his mother (Camryn Manheim from The Practice) was pregnant with him.

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

And I can understand Dan feeling as he did this episode, but I'm glad he and Ben talked things out in the end.

I loved that Dan called Ben's bluff and told him to go fix the roof. Nobody pulls one over on Dan.

• Love 8

"We got our negative test results".  Okay, but have you both properly quarantined surrounding that test date to truly be safe showing up in a bubble's home without masks?  Of course not, but that bubble sure as shit hasn't done everything they should, so I'm just going to start off every response to an episode with my COVID gripe and move on.

"I'm not getting into it with you squares."  Jackie cracks me up, and "You Conner girls always marry the first guys you bring home" was even better.

I love the Becky/Ben relationship, but Becky not asking Dan for a closet built in his own home, ostensibly to take something off his plate, and then being "what crawled up his butt?" when he balked didn't wash; it would make him feel great to build that for her, and she damn well knows that -- she's the one who, when Darlene set out to replace the garbage disposal after Dan's heart attack, stopped those good intentions with "That's Dad's job" and explained how any of them taking care of the house in that way would make Dan feel like he was useless. 

"You guys have no idea how bad the income inequality is in this country" from well intentioned but privileged Josh.  Ha! 

• Love 11

I loved Dan and Darlene's heart-to-heart at the kitchen table - especially after Becky's tirade in the past about Mark was mentioned. It just felt like a true "moment". 

Still, I wish that the show would give some love to the family not living in the house. When was the last time we saw DJ? True, he was never meant to be as central to the story as Darlene and Becky but it would be nice to see him and Mary a bit more.

Am I the only one who wanted the tag to be Ben fixing the roof? 😉😂

• Love 4

This episode was...weird.

I feel like I should have more than that, especially since I waited until the next day to even post here, but that's all I've got. I felt the same way about last week's episode, too, although the fabulousness of Candice Bergen made that a bit easier to bear. So I don't have much more to add than that.

Or at least, that's all I WOULD have had until I realized that Josh was played by Camryn Manheim's son! WHAT? I didn't even put it together until I read that here! I LOVE her on The Practice, and yeah, now I feel totally old, too. -_-

(Okay, one more thing: the way Darlene described her getting married to David is NOT how I remember it--they DID have other choices; she chose to marry him because she had just gotten pregnant with Harris, and she was graduating from art school and had a plan for a new job. But given how the continuity of this universe is so skewed now, trying to unravel it all may, in fact, be pointless, so I'll stop here.) 

• Love 10

Yeah, the couch cushion thing was gross. Stop it show.

I rolled my eyes at the whole closet thing. For a fraction of that stupid baptism party Becky could have gotten something from IKEA which would still have provided ample comic relief without turning the basement into building site, requiring dust sheets and what not. Where does the baby get to sleep? But I enjoy Becky and Ben together - they have an easy chemistry which was also noticable last season in the episode about the boiler (IIRC). 

Oh wow, that was Control's son??? I wonder what happened to married guy. Maybe TPTB realized that that story line was too icky. Or he's still around but Harris keeps him a secret and in the end Josh will be the one ending with a broken heart. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I loved Dan and Darlene's heart-to-heart at the kitchen table - especially after Becky's tirade in the past about Mark was mentioned. It just felt like a true "moment". 

Still, I wish that the show would give some love to the family not living in the house. When was the last time we saw DJ? True, he was never meant to be as central to the story as Darlene and Becky but it would be nice to see him and Mary a bit more.

Am I the only one who wanted the tag to be Ben fixing the roof? 😉😂

I keep forgetting about DJ. 😳 Even though he wasn't shown as much as the sisters in the original series I still remember he was part of the show. I stupidly thought since they made an episode about DJ and his daughter spending more time with the Conners that meant more screentime for her. 🙄

40 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I honestly don’t even try to unravel it anymore, because it will probably just make me more irritated at the gaps/non-continuity. 

And I think I’m just getting tired of the conners at this point

I agree with the inconsistency. I rolled my eyes at the first boyfriend thing. 

Maybe it's because of Covid tampering with their creativity for storylines but the show is losing steam fast.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, UYI said:

Or at least, that's all I WOULD have had until I realized that Josh was played by Camryn Manheim's son! WHAT? I didn't even put it together until I read that here! I LOVE her on The Practice, and yeah, now I feel totally old, too. -_-

I thought he looked familiar! I remember seeing him as a contestant on "Dancing with the Stars" a few seasons back (and he was really good, too). Okay, well, that answers that, then. 

• Love 2

I kept writing comments while I watched but then deleting them.

All I'm left with is I really don't like Harris (both as a person within the world of the show, and just as a character in general; I haven't seen her in anything else but I don't think the actress is very good, either). And I wonder how tall the kid who plays Mark is now.

Dan annoyed me with his reaction to the closet, but he made me laugh at the end so it's all good.

• Love 5

But I enjoy Becky and Ben together - they have an easy chemistry which was also noticeable last season in the episode about the boiler (IIRC). 

Welp, maybe I'm the only one that felt a weirdness that at some point, Darlene is going to accuse Becky of trying to "steal her boyfriend", like when Becky (in her New Becky reincarnation) flirted with David back in the day? Anyone? Bueller? 

I'm probably one of the few here that enjoys Harris - I love how awful she is to Darlene at times, since Darlene was pretty awful to Roseanne back in the day - karma comes back to bite her. Plus Darlene is such a helicopterish mother and poor Mark is just sitting on his computer in the corner getting taller and taller with each passing moment. 

Dan actually sounded like there was a shred of the old Dan Conner left in him last night. He didn't sound like some hapless goofy sitcom dad, 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Welp, maybe I'm the only one that felt a weirdness that at some point, Darlene is going to accuse Becky of trying to "steal her boyfriend", like when Becky (in her New Becky reincarnation) flirted with David back in the day? Anyone? Bueller? 

They already did that last season ("Pilot Lights and Sister Fights"), when Darlene got pissy about the time Ben and Becky were spending together.

• Love 4

This episode was genuinely enjoyable for me, and except for the never-washed couch cushions, didn't make me cringe throughout the show.  Jackie's hair cut looks great.  Not being a fan of Harris, she didn't annoy me as usual, and we have a continuing story of Josh.  Dan seemed like the real Dan again and I enjoyed the Ben-Becky-Dan scenes.  The storyline of Dan getting older rang true to me and I appreciate Becky looking after him and not expecting everything to be done by him now.  Ben and Dan are good together and Ben's still working for Instacart, not smoking pot.  Mark helping the Stupid Old Women and not being Covid police or preaching about something was a good use for him.

• Love 3

Once again Harris is the worst

I'm not a fan either but I see her side this time. Yeah we all want to protect our kids from hurt but Darlene needs to back away and let Harris get her heart broken if that's what's going to happen. Happens to all of us sooner or later and there's no way to prevent it. Sure, she can say "Hey I noticed from Instagram he's had girlfriends for every kind of protest," but leave it at that. No teenager in the world ever listened to their parent's advice about their love life in the history of children. 

(Okay, one more thing: the way Darlene described her getting married to David is NOT how I remember it--they DID have other choices; she chose to marry him because she had just gotten pregnant with Harris

I think all Jackie said was that both Darlene and Becky married the first boy they ever brought home. That's true in both their cases if I recall correctly. Yes Darlene dated other people in the interim but she did end up marrying the first boy she ever brought home.

And I wonder how tall the kid who plays Mark is now.

I know, I did a double take when he walked into the kitchen. They are probably trying to keep him away from the other characters because he headed right to the table and sat down.

My favorite bit was Becky stroking Ben's ego to make him do what she wanted, all the while telling him men needed their egos stroked to do what you want them to do. 

• Love 6

Isn't DJ's daughter supposed to be living with them now? I thought there was a whole episode about them bringing her into the bubble.

I know she's a kid but I just wish there had been a Black person in the room for the discussion of how the police would beat down Josh and Harris during a protest. Just for the visual. Also, we saw Mark doing distance learning in a previous ep. Wouldn't Mary be doing the same thing?

I feel for Dan. My dad fixed everything around the house when I was growing up. He's been gone 30 years now but he absolutely would've been the same way about someone doing home improvement for me or my mom. For men of a certain age who treasure their role as protector and provider, that fear of being replaced is real.

Given the money issues, I'm trying to figure out who is working where. Ben is doing grocery delivery, Jackie and Darlene are working at Wellman, Harris is working somewhere that lets her protest part time.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I know, I did a double take when he walked into the kitchen. They are probably trying to keep him away from the other characters because he headed right to the table and sat down.

Last week they also had him sitting during his (one?) scene, doing zoom school. I tried googling and the only height I could find said 4'10" but that was from December 2019 (and not necessarily a trustworthy source, either).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marceline said:

Given the money issues, I'm trying to figure out who is working where. Ben is doing grocery delivery, Jackie and Darlene are working at Wellman, Harris is working somewhere that lets her protest part time.

Becky and Darlene are at Wellman. Jackie still has the Lunch Box.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Jackie's hair cut looks great.

I thought so too.

7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, the couch cushion thing was gross. Stop it show.

It also doesn't make sense to be trawling for cushion change when the fridge is full of soda, small bottles of juice, and beer.  Even the cheapest can of no-name soda probably costs more than any change they would have found.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think all Jackie said was that both Darlene and Becky married the first boy they ever brought home. That's true in both their cases if I recall correctly. 

She mentioned Roseanne there, too. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Dan annoyed me with his reaction to the closet, but he made me laugh at the end so it's all good.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but Dan comes off like a bully too much.  They were trying to do him a favor building the closet on their own, Ben tried to make it up to him, and gets called a hyena for his effort.  Hopefully he didn't really have to go up on the roof in the middle of the night.  Threatening the granddaughter's boyfriend is more understandable, but still fits in with the bully role.

Is there a way to get Becky and Ben together?  They have much better chemistry than Ben and Darlene, and it would be cheap and easy drama.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but Dan comes off like a bully too much. 

My original comment, which I changed before posting, began with "Sorry, but Dan was an asshole." So no, you're not alone.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

My original comment, which I changed before posting, began with "Sorry, but Dan was an asshole." So no, you're not alone.

It wasn't just in this episode though, it seems to be a continuing character trait.  He also comes off as bitter, mostly about his financial situation.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think all Jackie said was that both Darlene and Becky married the first boy they ever brought home. That's true in both their cases if I recall correctly. Yes Darlene dated other people in the interim but she did end up marrying the first boy she ever brought home.

That's all Jackie said, but then Darlene said later that she married David because she had no other choice, and that...wasn't true, as I recall it. But like I said, most of the show's continuity has been reduced to mince meat*, so it's probably moot to even care too much about it now.

Count me in as liking the moment between Becky and Dan; whatever weirdness I felt during most of this episode, I did like that a lot. 

*Excuse me, loose meat. ;) 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

That didn't irritate me like most episodes of this show does. Could be funnier, though.

One of the (many) things that bother me about this iteration is that the writers seem to hell-bent on making the family look as pathetic as possible. The original never really did that. They found poverty in comedy and struggle without making Roseanne and Dan come off as pathetic losers.  Even when Roseanne worked at the salon, she still had her dignity. These characters have none. The whole scene of searching the coach cushions was cringey. It's like what rich people think poor people do and, tbh, it's insulting. 

If they really wanted to be revolutionary, they would show the struggle but also avoid making the characters seem pathetic. I rewatched season 10 recently and it mostly did that. The reboot doesn't. 

They can also fuck off with bringing in these one-off characters (the boyfriend in this episode, the boss at Wellman, Little Ed from last season, Candice Bergen, and so on). Are they that hard up for ideas that they need new characters every episode to sustain any type of storyline? And then we never see them again. That's pathetic.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

One of the (many) things that bother me about this iteration is that the writers seem to hell-bent on making the family look as pathetic as possible. The original never really did that. They found poverty in comedy and struggle without making Roseanne and Dan come off as pathetic losers.  Even when Roseanne worked at the salon, she still had her dignity. These characters have none. The whole scene of searching the coach cushions was cringey. It's like what rich people think poor people do and, tbh, it's insulting. 

I agree with this.  On the original show the fact they didn't have a lot of money wasn't the sole focus. The show was about these characters who just happened to be low income.   Yes their money woes were sometimes part of the plot but not every single episode.

The reboot does get some things right with regards to the current Conner money issues but then they do something stupid like Becky spending a lot of money on a party.

I thought the first season after killing Roseanne off was pretty good but each subsequent season has been less good. At this point I'm only watching because I'm a completist and having watched from the beginning way back in 1988 I want to finish it till the end.

• Love 5

Some funny lines this episode.  I find that Ben, Jackie, and Dan to have the most comedic timing while Becky, Harris, and Mark are the most stilted at reading lines.  Darlene is in the middle.   I agree with the other posters that the writing has been so inconsistent this season.  Two things really bothered me:

1.  Where is this ‘protest’?  Chicago or Lanford? Is Harris really driving an hour or so to camp out there?  This plot point should of been dropped.  It doesn’t make sense.  If they wanted to make a social point about the inequalities between rich and poor, write some good episodes about it.  There is a wealth (no pun intended) of opportunities within the existing character arcs.  But instead they show them scrounging for change whilst Harris play acts being a rebel.

2.  It’s  pop NOT soda.  😀 My Chicago ears were bleeding!  Get it together show!  

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

One of the (many) things that bother me about this iteration is that the writers seem to hell-bent on making the family look as pathetic as possible. The original never really did that. They found poverty in comedy and struggle without making Roseanne and Dan come off as pathetic losers

That's something that bothered me also......these are not dumb people.....Darlene's boyfriend could be doing more than working a "Shipt" type job.

And why, in heaven's name, were Darlene and he hoping to have a baby together when they were dead broke !  I know that ship has sailed but why were they even contemplating it in the first place......talk about pathetic and bad choices.

• Love 8

Where did this bright open basement come from?  I remember the entry was off the kitchen/laundry area and it was small and dark.  They cleaned it up a bit for Roseanne to use as her office to write.  How hard would it be to look back at your own show to make sure you've got the details correct? 

• Love 2

I fee like they showed these last two episodes out of order. Suddenly Harris is back protesting? And after the bombshell revelation about Ben's family last week, this week he casual mentions working in his dad's hardware store and no one bats an eye? It was weird.

Once again, Darlene and Harris were the weak links for me. They both have Roseanne's rudeness and bitter attitudes, but without the playful snarky side that made her fun. Darlene is worse for me, because they're still portraying her as being in the right, even when she's clearly wrong. Her reaction to Harris's boyfriend was so cringey and overblown. So what if the guy knows a lot of other girls, or has an active dating life? He's a young attractive guy who travels around and meets lots of people. There's nothing inherently shady about that. And who said Harris would get her heart broken? They just met! I wish Jackie's point would have actually gotten through Darlene's thick skull- Roseanne, Becky, and Darlene are the anomalies. Most people date more than one person and don't marry their high school sweetheart before aged 20.

I liked everyone else, and the chemistry between Becky and Ben is so good that I'm frustrated at what a missed opportunity it was to put him with sour-faced Darlene instead. I have zero interest in seeing a sister switch at this point (gross), so my only hope is that Becky gets to meet someone just as fun and charismatic.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, donovan said:

Where did this bright open basement come from?  I remember the entry was off the kitchen/laundry area and it was small and dark.  

Maybe that's why Dan's so grumpy.  He's been working double time putting in a new basement.  If only he had thought to put in a closet.

• LOL 5

Agreed. They are mining poverty for comedy the way Married with Children did. This formula is not true to the original series. The writers are going for cheap laughs at the expense of the characters' integrity. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed. They are mining poverty for comedy the way Married with Children did. This formula is not true to the original series. The writers are going for cheap laughs at the expense of the characters' integrity. 

The difference, of course, being that MWC was basically a live action cartoon and OWNED it, from beginning to end (and yet, the cast of that show have actually said that there are fans who have told them that the Bundys reminded them of their own families, which is...scary, to say the least).

And to tie this back in to The Conners: I wonder when Louise will appear again? (I STILL find it hilarious that Katey Sagal wound up on this show, since Roseanne was originally offered the role of Peg Bundy off the strength of her stand-up career and turned it down!) 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 1/22/2021 at 1:32 AM, DB in CMH said:

That didn't irritate me like most episodes of this show does. Could be funnier, though.

If they really wanted to be revolutionary, they would show the struggle but also avoid making the characters seem pathetic. I rewatched season 10 recently and it mostly did that. The reboot doesn't. 

They can also fuck off with bringing in these one-off characters (the boyfriend in this episode, the boss at Wellman, Little Ed from last season, Candice Bergen, and so on). Are they that hard up for ideas that they need new characters every episode to sustain any type of storyline? And then we never see them again. That's pathetic.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:43 AM, ifionlyknew said:

I agree with this.  On the original show the fact they didn't have a lot of money wasn't the sole focus. The show was about these characters who just happened to be low income.   Yes their money woes were sometimes part of the plot but not every single episode.

The reboot does get some things right with regards to the current Conner money issues but then they do something stupid like Becky spending a lot of money on a party.

I thought the first season after killing Roseanne off was pretty good but each subsequent season has been less good. At this point I'm only watching because I'm a completist and having watched from the beginning way back in 1988 I want to finish it till the end.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, LBS said:

Some funny lines this episode.  I find that Ben, Jackie, and Dan to have the most comedic timing while Becky, Harris, and Mark are the most stilted at reading lines.  Darlene is in the middle.   I agree with the other posters that the writing has been so inconsistent this season.  Two things really bothered me:

1.  Where is this ‘protest’?  Chicago or Lanford? Is Harris really driving an hour or so to camp out there?  This plot point should of been dropped.  It doesn’t make sense.  If they wanted to make a social point about the inequalities between rich and poor, write some good episodes about it.  There is a wealth (no pun intended) of opportunities within the existing character arcs.  But instead they show them scrounging for change whilst Harris play acts being a rebel.

2.  It’s  pop NOT soda.  😀 My Chicago ears were bleeding!  Get it together show!  

On 1/22/2021 at 9:56 AM, Debbiejo said:

That's something that bothered me also......these are not dumb people.....Darlene's boyfriend could be doing more than working a "Shipt" type job.

And why, in heaven's name, were Darlene and he hoping to have a baby together when they were dead broke !  I know that ship has sailed but why were they even contemplating it in the first place......talk about pathetic and bad choices.

On 1/22/2021 at 3:07 PM, iMonrey said:

I said this a long time ago, when Roseanne was good it was because it felt like working class people writing about working class people. The characters did not always make the best decisions but there was a dignity about the way their lives were portrayed. Of course, as Roseanne got more successful in real life, the show's quality began to take a nosedive.

Now it is rich people's versions of poor people and the elitism and biases often just soak through. The whole family looking for change in coach cushions, like that was a viable source of money or not realizing that couch cushions could be washed are a part of "poorer people are just stupid and desperate" trope.

For instance, there was that expensive party for Becky's baby (who was too young to understand anything) but they all just forgot poor Mark's birthday.

The protest storyline seems very dated and really not relevant to what people are doing right now (particularly with the Corona virus). It has a very "occupy Wall Street" vibe which was almost a decade ago.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

Now it is rich people's versions of poor people and the elitism and biases often just soak through. The whole family looking for change in coach cushions, like that was a viable source of money or not realizing that couch cushions could be washed are a part of "poorer people are just stupid and desperate" trope.

Not to mention the implication that poor people are dirty and gross. Sometimes I feel like they're trying to get us to laugh at the family, not with them, and that sucks.

6 hours ago, qtpye said:

The protest storyline seems very dated and really not relevant to what people are doing right now (particularly with the Corona virus). It has a very "occupy Wall Street" vibe which was almost a decade ago.

Yes to this. I think they were trying to piggyback off the wave of protests from last summer, but they're doing a terrible job. I certainly don't count showing a few scenes of Darlene and Harris fighting in front of some empty tents as a meaningful storyline about pressing social issues. And in the aftermath of an actual violent insurrection in our country, it's coming across as naive and tone deaf. I think they should just quietly drop it and give Harris something else to do.

• Love 5
On 1/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, catlover79 said:

Becky and Darlene are at Wellman. Jackie still has the Lunch Box.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking about Jackie showing up to Wellman when there was the drug test protest.

The funny thing is that I'd really like an all-stew restaurant.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, marceline said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking about Jackie showing up to Wellman when there was the drug test protest.

The funny thing is that I'd really like an all-stew restaurant.

Maybe, it they have a really good beef bourguignon.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
On 1/20/2021 at 10:35 PM, Bastet said:

"We got our negative test results".  Okay, but have you both properly quarantined surrounding that test date to truly be safe showing up in a bubble's home without masks?  Of course not, but that bubble sure as shit hasn't done everything they should, so I'm just going to start off every response to an episode with my COVID gripe and move on.

That whole family would have gotten Covid by now the way they take "precautions."  That said, this was a good episode.  Other than Harris's (usual) hurtful comment about "not needing" Darlene, I thought her comments were mostly valid.  She should be given freedom to feel things, including pain, and not be protected from everything.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

That whole family would have gotten Covid by now the way they take "precautions."  That said, this was a good episode.  Other than Harris's (usual) hurtful comment about "not needing" Darlene, I thought her comments were mostly valid.  She should be given freedom to feel things, including pain, and not be protected from everything.

Let's hope Harris is protected from unwanted pregnancy and STDs though.

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

She's been good about it previously; when she lost her virginity, they used a condom, and because they weren't 100% sure they'd used it properly, she got the morning after pill just in case.  There has been nothing to indicate she's being careless about safe sex now.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She's been good about it previously; when she lost her virginity, they used a condom, and because they weren't 100% sure they'd used it properly, she got the morning after pill just in case.

Wow, I have zero recollection of this, and I think I've seen all the episodes so far. I guess that says something about much I'm enjoying this show.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Maybe, it they have a really good beef bourguignon.

Probably made from the beef jerky from the toilet tank.

9 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

The funny thing is, now is the time Darlene protects Harris? I don't like Harris, but her father abandons her and barely knows her, her mother can not afford to pay the bills so they have to move from Chicago to Lanford and live in their grandparent's rundown house, and her she has to fire her mother from the one crummy job that offered her a chance of an online degree and then got let go herself because they went to robots.

8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Darlene actually said to let the rich guy knock her up (to think of the family for once) and yes, I know Darlene was joking.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Wow, I have zero recollection of this, and I think I've seen all the episodes so far. I guess that says something about much I'm enjoying this show.

It was back in the beginning; the second episode of the first season.

10 hours ago, qtpye said:

The funny thing is, now is the time Darlene protects Harris? I don't like Harris, but her father abandons her and barely knows her, her mother can not afford to pay the bills so they have to move from Chicago to Lanford and live in their grandparent's rundown house, and her she has to fire her mother from the one crummy job that offered her a chance of an online degree and then got let go herself because they went to robots.

Maybe Darlene was latching on to something she felt was, unlike those others things, easy to fix -- tell Harris her boyfriend has a new girl for each cause, and she sends him packing before she has a chance to get so attached it will hurt when he moves on to the next one.  Easy, done, heartbreak averted.

(I found it a dumb storyline - they're young, they're just dating, it'll end somehow at some point, and she'll learn how to deal with that kind of change that life is full of - but I'm just spitballing as to what mindset might have led Darlene to get involved.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3