Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: I Think You're My Future Wife

• Start Topic

Brandon's parents' strict rules surprise his Russian fiancee, Julia; Yara isn't impressed with fiance Jovi's hometown;. Rebecca and her Tunisian beau Zied await visa news; Mike and Natalie's relationship takes an unexpected turn.

• LOL 1

Rebecca and Zied: After three already failed marriages, is a potential fourth one a good idea? Your daughter and her boyfriend already have questions about whether Zied is here for mom or for a Green Card. Living with the kids is not a good idea. You and Zied need your own space. I doubt his customs and religion will change much while in the US.

Mike and Natalie: So Natalie now has a visa? 20 days is a short timeframe to make travel and other arrangements. Things didn't really go so well in the Ukraine. Unless both of you have worked on yourselves, it may not go better in the US. Who is going to pay for Natalie's plane ticket? She already has reservations about Uncle Bo and sharing the house with a stranger. Uh, Mike is still a semi-stranger. You have no idea what goes on at the farm. Buyer beware on this one.

Brandon and Julia: Farm boy and the Go Go Dancer. This looks like a lifetime partner relationship!!!!!! You are a very different person who went off to Europe and then Iceland to woo this girl. You are presenting a life to her that is not real. The reality is the farm, the animals, the dogs, etc. And your pesticide career. You are still a naive young man who thinks this exotic girl will rock your world.  You have explained that you live on a farm and what life for her will be like. She sees the trip to Paris and Iceland as who you are. The parents seem too controlling and too intrusive in to their son's life. Brandon's father being married a few times and his half brothers and sisters may be a challenge. Mom was way over the line in talking about birth control. I understand with a 15 or 16 year old boy. Your son is 27 and if he doesn't want to use any, well, he may have unpleasant consequences, like children, and possibly many years of child support. It is doubtful that he can afford either. His 'fiancee' also not using any form of birth control is a problem. Hello baby to get her to stay in the US. Both of them do need to have that unfortunate discussion - as adults' and make their choice. Zero birth control means children at some point. Mom talking to the doctor on the way to the airport? Mom and Brandon need to have a chat. Julia chooses what she wishes, and what she does is not Mom's concern. If both Brandon and Julia don't care about birth control, so be it. More grandkids.

Jovi (not Bon) and Yara: I want to call her Lara. Sort of like a Lana. David might like her. Or maybe she was a bit too high maintenance for him and wouldn't like the RV life. Jovi has a great job - works 4 weeks, gets 4 weeks off. And likes adventure and travel. Yara does makeup and likes nice things, which he most likely cannot afford. He does not seem like marriage material at this time and just wants a hot girlfriend, preferably foreign. His friends see the writing on the wall. Joves is too immature and too fun loving to commit to anything but a good time. It was sweet that he went to a good florist to get some flowers for the airport. Not the grocery store selection.  She had the escalator all to herself for the dramatic entrance? Really? I'm glad she spoke up about moving away from the escalator. Backing up anyone behind her. Arguing in the car about her being tired after a long flight is not really an auspicious start to the relationship. What does she plan to do in the US? Makeup artist? Work at a salon?

Same old about needing the 90 days to decide if you want to marry the person. The 90 days should be wedding planning, getting the dress if you don't already have one, and booking the church or JP, and planning a party. Plus starting the paperwork.

• Love 20

I just looked at my phone and saw it was Sunday and oh snap, I missed this. 

Except no, no i didn't. i did watch Discount Jon Cryer and Dimwitty Howdy Doody.  

I've already forgotten I've watched this.  Not a good sign.  Or maybe it is.  Idk.

Edited by ALittleShelfish
Spelling
  • LOL 20
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I doubt Howdy Doody has enough experience to compare sex with and without a condom.

Man his parents look old.  Dad looks 75 and mom looks 65.

I think they look old fashioned and could possibly look better with an update ~ especially the mum.

• Love 11

I am 100% here for Howdy Doody and his weird sparkling puppet eyes with this Russia go go dancer in Diwiddie, VA.  I actually think his parents are pretty great, and would also be horrified to find out that he and her have no interest in birth control.  FFS!  "I don't want to commit to all of that"?!  WTF.  You are ready to commit to a child with a woman you've known HOW LONG?!  You're 27, sir.  Do better. 

I am not super interested in Alien Probe Mike and Intense Natalie, nor Rebecca and Zied, but I guess we'll keep watching these trainwrecks.  I forgot how creepy I found Zied and how useless I found Rebecca.  Her daughter's redneck good ole boyfriend and Zied should be LOTS of fun to watch. 

Jovi isn't ready for a commitment one damn bit.  Are they Cajun b/c I loved hearing him and his mama talk?!  But, this boy (and he is a boy), while smart and adorable bayou lifestyle mixed with partying and world travel is in no way a match for make-up city girl Yara for a long-term commitment.  I hate that I've watched this series (I refuse to call it a universe like the Discovery+ ppl want us to) long enough to where I kind of question pregnancy situations.  I don't know this girl, and certainly it could have been a truthful situation, but these ppl and production have always been so shady.

Do these people not think in any way other their their genitals (the 'Muricans) and/or their papers (the foreigners, who I'm consistently less annoyed by)?!  (shallow) Jovi is really cute in pictures where he isn't smiling b/c he looks a bit like Bruce the Shark "fish are friends, not food"  when he is(/shallow). 

The women on this show who are Russian or Ukrainian don't have the best track record and their temperament/attitude/coldness don't ever seem like a good match for any of the Americans they find themselves with, except maybe David and his "I've dated 100s of Ukrainian and Russia women". None of these people seem like they are going to break that mold, but I'm happy to give them a chance. 

I see we haven't met all the couples yet, and haven't gotten the return of Tarik.  Two hours was def long enough to get to everyone, but I guess we are dragging this out.  I wonder when this was filmed compared to the Rona timing here in the States.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

Brandon strikes me as a man-child.  Aside from his interactions with his parents, the whole birth control discussion annoyed me. Brandon doesn't think he's ready for kids. But he also won't use a condom because the sex won't be as great. There's really only 4 options. Brandon uses birth control, Julia uses birth control, Julia has an abortion when she inevitably gets pregnant, or they bring kids into a marriage that doesn't have a strong foundation.

Though I will give Jovi and Brandon credit for at least having met their fiances in person before the show started. Unlike some other couples who have treated the 90 days as a trial dating period.

Edited by futurechemist
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

The women on this show who are Russian or Ukrainian don't have the best track record and their temperament/attitude/coldness don't ever seem like a good match for any of the Americans they find themselves with, except maybe David and his "I've dated 100s of Ukrainian and Russia women". None of these people seem like they are going to break that mold, but I'm happy to give them a chance. 

Yes, but to be fair, I'm pretty sure that David's "dating" always involved a cash transaction. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I would thunk private eyes earn more than fast food managers.

It depends. It's generally contract work and therefore ebbs and flows. You might have a good-paying gig one month and then nothing but a few credit and background checks the next. It can be good money, but it's not necessarily steady. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

It depends. It's generally contract work and therefore ebbs and flows. You might have a good-paying gig one month and then nothing but a few credit and background checks the next. It can be good money, but it's not necessarily steady

Which she probably needs in order to satisfy the Feds that she can support someone on a visa.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

While creeping around the crawlspace under a house with deadly chemicals, his voiceover talked about how he loves his job because he's "not stuck in an office all day."

Okay, that phrase sounds great when I watch North Woods Law and the Fish and Game guys are out riding around on ATVs and snowmobiles and they say they love their jobs because they're not stuck in an office all day.  But it just seems weird coming from a guy killing bugs in a crawlspace.

I am going to give him some credit here, and it will probably be the last time.  He has a job.  He had a 40 hour a week job plus he helps out his parents a lot.  He has more going for him than most of the chowderheads on this show.  The problem with Brandon is he has a Howdy Doody face (as has been noted) and he needs more experience with women, just as friends and for come low pressure coffee/lunch dates.  Going from Zero to 60 with go go dancer non birth control using girl WILL end badly.  You think it will get weird when she arrives?  Plop a crying baby into the mix, Howdy Doody!

I think a lot of Mom and Dad are for show, obviously, but no way no how would I have allowed them to play house in my house.  Sorry.  

Rebecca/Zied - don't care as I know how it turns out.

Mike/Natalie - Natalie is......intense, no?  "I can't wait to get there and change everything about you, honey!!!  Including tossing Uncle Bo out of the house!

• LOL 2
  • Love 18
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Which she probably needs in order to satisfy the Feds that she can support someone on a visa.

Yeah.  Attorneys who have solo practices and work for contingency fees and even movie stars have fluctuating earnings, but they probably have assets to point to as well.  She blows her money on tats and ring lights.  She also seems to have aged quite a bit in two years, not that she ever resembled her filtered pics in any way.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12

Rebecca's friend IS a PI, and I think she did work for her for a short period, but I think she's been a manager at that Joella's Chicken place for a long time, and like usual for this show, they didn't note her real employment. Mike has a real job that isn't the Christmas tree farm, too. 

Speaking of, for reasons that came out during their first season and can be found in the Couples Forum (there are spoilers in those threads), I do not blame Natalie for being uncomfortable being left on a rural piece of land, with no driver's license or in walking distance of anything, with Uncle Bojangles as my company. I think he lived in the barn or other living area and not in the house, but still. He'll probably rush to move out himself as soon as she begins proselytizing and trying to make the kitchen vegan. 

The couple Andrew/Amira(?) will not appear until December 21 and I haven't seen anything about Cougar Stephanie. I'm wondering if she will be like Mike/Natalie's first season, when they appeared late and he went to her because her visa was delayed. It sounded like she said she was "bringing him" watches as opposed to sending them to him, or something. Who knows with this show, though.

I'm hoping for lots of entertainment out of Jovi and Brandon's stories. I'm prepared to be disappointed.

• Love 9

Are we just pretending that Natalie's "surprise" visit to Mike (who had already hooked up and was playing house with his female best friend) never happened? No mention of that bit of history? Okay then....

And I can't believe Mike doesn't have dogs in addition to his wonderful cat.

The rest of them? Let the train wrecks begin!!

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Are we just pretending that Natalie's "surprise" visit to Mike (who had already hooked up and was playing house with his female best friend) never happened? No mention of that bit of history? Okay then....

I don't think she ever came to the US. That fight was because he stayed at a female friend's home before her wedding, where he was to be the best bridesman, and the groom didn't stay there, too, like he told her. So, she decided he was cheating on her. 

It was discussed at the Tell Nothing and I thought they did mention it on this episode, but I watched a few minutes of some lead-in about the couples, so it may have been mentioned there. 

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Are you thinking of Varya and Geoffrey from the last Before the 90 days?

16 minutes ago, Christina said:

I don't think she ever came to the US. That fight was because he stayed at a female friend's home before her wedding, where he was to be the best bridesman, and the groom didn't stay there, too, like he told her. So, she decided he was cheating on her. 

thats what I remember as well.

• Love 8

My first impression of Yara is that she's this season's Anfisa.  

I laughed when her luggage was red, and Anfisa had her "red makeup bag."  

I enjoyed this episode.  It moved along at pretty good pace and looks like there will be ample material on which to snark.  

49 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

That sounds more like Geoffrey and Varya's situation.  I don't think Natalie has ever been to America until this season.  

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Are you thinking of Varya and Geoffrey from the last Before the 90 days?

thats what I remember as well.

Yes I think that was Vraya and Geoffrey as well.  Had I been the married female BFF of Mike and Natalie went on and on: "Well if you slept on her couch that MUST mean you had sex!" the night before my wedding?  I would be pissed, as would my hubby.  Natalie is an intense drama queen and Mike can do so much better.  

I am not a jealous person nor have I been involved with people who are prone to it, but is this a thing?  "You spoke to a coworker at the copy machine about "Grey's Anatomy???  HOW DARE YOU!  ARE YOU CHEATING????"  

Mike - ask out your stylist.  I saw no ring on her finger.  Bet she would like Bo, too.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 12

Mike and Natalie are not going to end well. He comes off like he's already moved on emotionally, as evidenced by his spectacularly unenthusiastic"Oh. That's wonderful, er, I guess" response when she said the visa had been approved.

Brandon's parents obviously run his life and look at Julia as just another child they can control and manipulate. Sounds like his half-siblings are giving the family a wide berth, and no wonder. And her refusal to consider any kind of birth control screams "I want to get pregnant NOW so he can't send me back home." 

Did Rebecca actually tell her grown daughter "I want to move in with you. This means your boyfriend has to move out because MY boyfriend won't want YOUR boyfriend to see me in my nightclothes."? Do I have that correct? 

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Christina said:

I do not blame Natalie for being uncomfortable being left on a rural piece of land, with no driver's license or in walking distance of anything, with Uncle Bojangles as my company. I think he lived in the barn or other living area and not in the house, but still. He'll probably rush to move out himself as soon as she begins proselytizing and trying to make the kitchen vegan.

This is a very fair thought, and quite valid.  My issue is how she brought it up to him (if that is what she is feeling) and being dodgy about it. Just come out and say, "Look, I know you love him and all that, but he is a stranger to me, I have no way of getting around and right now I am uncomfortable with it."  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

This is a very fair thought, and quite valid.  My issue is how she brought it up to him (if that is what she is feeling) and being dodgy about it. Just come out and say, "Look, I know you love him and all that, but he is a stranger to me, I have no way of getting around and right now I am uncomfortable with it."  

He should say, "Beau works on the farm.  If you're not willing to do what he does, then he stays.  So you make up your mind whether you want to work or whether you want to get comfortable with Beau being here."

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

He should say, "Beau works on the farm.  If you're not willing to do what he does, then he stays.  So you make up your mind whether you want to work or whether you want to get comfortable with Beau being here."

I like your answer even better!

• Love 2

I really REALLY missed the live chat last night. So, Rebecca works in a fast food joint? Huh. Why does she wear a watch. Geeze she's going to live with her daughter? Yikes. Now we need subtitles for Southern talk. I would be so embarrassed if this happened with my sons.

Mike is still an alien watching nut. Surprised Natalie is not pregnant. Mike is kind of an idiot. I do, however, love Uncle Beau. What's up with that big screen TV? That's kind of scary 

I WANT SOME NEW PEEPS.

I usually love the parents, but not Brandon's. You have a big boy room! Please...no. Brandon is an idiot. Is he like... 12? "My dad's been married a number of times"  Oh, okay. What is wrong with his parents

NOTJonBonJovi and his teeth aggravate the heck out of me. JESUS those teeth. AND that lipstick. 

Okay snark time is a GO!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Brandon's mom is way too controlling. I do agree with his parents that it is disrespectful for him and his girlfriend to have sex at their house.  No Brandon's mom, there's no way that a Russian gogo dancer will enjoy living and working on the farm.

I agree with Jovi's friend and mother.  He's not emotionally ready for marriage.  Plus he hasn't really planned ahead for how his job will affect the 90 day process.

I don't see Zied getting along with Rebecca's daughter and her redneck boyfriend.  I'm also not sure that marriage number 4 is such a great idea, especially with someone half her age.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, spunky said:

I don't see Zied getting along with Rebecca's daughter and her redneck boyfriend.  I'm also not sure that marriage number 4 is such a great idea, especially with someone half her age.

Hey, it worked for Jenny and Summeat, didn’t it?

Uh, never mind.

• LOL 18
1 hour ago, TeapotWakeen said:

And I can't believe Mike doesn't have dogs in addition to his wonderful cat.

My country dog would be unable to contain himself from  barking at the cameraman and getting underfoot...perhaps the dogs are out of sight? I remember seeing dogs, but my memory is increasingly unreliable.

Their whole story looks like nonsense to me - they were dunzo in Russia and can barely stand to be in the same room together. I think that they are acting for $$.  And they are not very good actors.

• Love 14

Well, maybe I can watch this for local color---I used to live in New Orleans and enjoyed visiting Cajun country, my mom is a native of Atlanta and we are just sw of there (Woodstock is north Atlanta area), and I see the  exit sign for Dinwiddie (sp?)  when we travel to DC on I-85.  I do need to get out to the NW because Mike's part of the country looks lovely.  

Did I understand that Mike who is not a Christian and is more of an Alienist (although not the psychiatric kind) was a godfather to his friend's child?  I was folding laundry and didn't look up so I didn't actually see the baptism, and I was probably not fully attentive.  I am Catholic, and there are several references in our sacrament where parents and godparents affirm their attention to raise the child to follow Jesus Christ.  I am pretty sure our priests have at least a short conversation as to what that means with the prospective godparents.   He talks about wanting a family.  Well, Natalie looks closer to 40 than 35 to me, although maybe it is because she has had a rough life in the Ukraine.   35 is getting in the older mother zone.  If he could get over his obsession for a Ukrainian woman, I think he could probably find someone nice and a little younger in the US.  Maybe he should become friends with men whose wives are from the US. 

• Love 5

Maybe it’s just me ... but I find it difficult to find stuff on this 90DF site.

Anyway a fairly enjoyable episode, looks like there will be lots to snark about. Can’t wait for all the shit to hit all the fans. Rebecca is looking older, and fatter. Meanwhile Zied cleans up well.   Natalie meets Uncle Beau ... should be a drama filled  20 days.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, spunky said:

Brandon's mom is way too controlling. I do agree with his parents that it is disrespectful for him and his girlfriend to have sex at their house.  No Brandon's mom, there's no way that a Russian gogo dancer will enjoy living and working on the farm.

I agree with Jovi's friend and mother.  He's not emotionally ready for marriage.  Plus he hasn't really planned ahead for how his job will affect the 90 day process.

Per the whole boundary-less conversation on birth control with Howdy Doody, Mom and Dad:  I wanted Mom to leave and Dad to look square at him and say:  "Do you ejaculate inside of her?  Yes or no?  Because you are NOT bringing a baby home here.  Sorry not sorry, we are done raising kids.  You are 27, not 17."

• Love 15
Just now, Mrs. Hanson said:

Per the whole boundary-less conversation on birth control with Howdy Doody, Mom and Dad:  I wanted Mom to leave and Dad to look square at him and say:  "Do you ejaculate inside of her?  Yes or no?  Because you are NOT bringing a baby home here.  Sorry not sorry, we are done raising kids.  You are 27, not 17."

I can see Julia setting her straight very quickly.  It sounds like he was about to go into more details , then decided it wasn't the best idea. 

2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes I think that was Vraya and Geoffrey as well.  Had I been the married female BFF of Mike and Natalie went on and on: "Well if you slept on her couch that MUST mean you had sex!" the night before my wedding?  I would be pissed, as would my hubby.  Natalie is an intense drama queen and Mike can do so much better.  

I am not a jealous person nor have I been involved with people who are prone to it, but is this a thing?  "You spoke to a coworker at the copy machine about "Grey's Anatomy???  HOW DARE YOU!  ARE YOU CHEATING????"  

Mike - ask out your stylist.  I saw no ring on her finger.  Bet she would like Bo, too.

I'm going to make the assumption the stylist will no longer be allowed anywhere near him once Natalie finds out the stylist is a woman.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Mike and Natalie are not going to end well.

Well, they didn't start well, so they're consistent. 

I simply don't understand why Big Red is going through with it. They have nothing in common and they can't stand each other. His reaction to the news that she was coming was underwhelming to put it kindly. 

Brandon's parents are appalling. That is all. 

• Love 12

Oh, and we were all so distracted by Brandon's terrifying parents we didn't pay enough attention to Jovi's people. On the one hand, Mother Jovi expresses doubt that Yara will be happy because in NOLA everyone hunts and fishes and lives the outdoor life. Meanwhile, Jovi's friends are all "he loves to party and go to bars and he's all about the nightlife". So which is it? I mean, either way, Yara's doomed, but they should get their stories straight. 

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Well, they didn't start well, so they're consistent. 

I simply don't understand why Big Red is going through with it. They have nothing in common and they can't stand each other. His reaction to the news that she was coming was underwhelming to put it kindly. 

Brandon's parents are appalling. That is all. 

I agree about his reaction:  I had the same one when I was told I needed another crown.  

Brandon's parents:  Okay, I think they are humble down to earth folks who are bit conservative on some things.  Fine.  I really think they thought their slow to come out of his shell son would find another shy girl in the VA/DC area but nope, he goes the other way and finds go go dancer wo refuses birth control from Russia.  And she in NOT gonna be told what to do, dammit.  Let's be blunt here, folks:  Russia Girl popped his cherry, he is in a sex haze and can not/will not see straight for YEARS.  Kinda like Corey with Evelyn.  Except without the cocktail bar.  Instead we get bugs and roaches.

48 minutes ago, Gobi said:

Your soulmate(s) reaching out to you!

He is a Nigerian prince expecting his inheritance any day now, so until then can you float him a thousand dollars?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I had the same one when I was told I needed another crown.  

Your Majesty! (curtsies)

15 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:
1 hour ago, Gobi said:

Your soulmate(s) reaching out to you!

He is a Nigerian prince expecting his inheritance any day now, so until then can you float him a thousand dollars?

I found my princes when I sold a piece of furniture on Craig's List. So many rich foreigners need furniture! They buy it, sight unseen, then a friend will pick it up when the check clears (for some reason, they don't mention that just because my bank clears the check, it's still a bad check that I would be liable for...) I suppose some people must fall for it, but I just replied, "LOL!!!" to all scam offers.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

Did I understand that Mike who is not a Christian and is more of an Alienist (although not the psychiatric kind) was a godfather to his friend's child?  I was folding laundry and didn't look up so I didn't actually see the baptism, and I was probably not fully attentive.  I am Catholic, and there are several references in our sacrament where parents and godparents affirm their attention to raise the child to follow Jesus Christ.  I am pretty sure our priests have at least a short conversation as to what that means with the prospective godparents.   

You understood correctly.  Mike's friend from WA married Natalie's friend from Ukraine.  The couple had a baby and asked both Mike and Natalie to be the godparents.  That's how they met - but it was in their backstory.  The baptism was never shown, nor are the friends, whom I believe live near Mike.  I was annoyed that Mike's obligatory confessional was to his hairstylist, rather than his friends who know both him and  Natalie well.

Also in their backstory is Mike's fretting and asking Natalie if she's sure that she will like living in Sequim, since she's such a glamorous, big-city gal.  I don't recall her being concerned, and when he visited her in Kiev, they did nothing cosmopolitan.  (He went to the embassy and day-drinking.  She took him to a small church, not the cathedral.)  She was more concerned that he was $30,000 in debt, which was preventing him from wanting to start a family.

Once her visa got approved, it seems that all the issues magically disappeared, at least temporarily.  I suspect she'll have at least one breakdown over each of these issues throughout the season.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Ugh, I can't stand Natalie.  Beau's your family, you don't even know this chick, so tell her to back the fuck off and find a religious man in her own country.  Period.

So Brandon's dad has been married a few times?

giphy.gif

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6