Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Bible Camp and a Chariot of Love

Bort
  • Start Topic

Sheldon finds himself in a fierce competition with Paige when their mothers force them to attend Vacation Bible School; George is furious after Georgie makes a questionable purchase.

Airdate: 3 December 2020

Please, no discussing spoilers from The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

Paige looks so much older! (Guess the smoking thing does work...)

"I'm having a textbook reaction to my parents' divorce." At least she's self-aware.

"I wanted this 'What Would Jesus Do?' slap bracelet." slap "Ow."

I love George's attitude toward his kids sometimes. At least one of them isn't currently doing anything stupid.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

I think we can all agree Sheldon deserved that punch.

Still it's shame Paige started that competition just to piss him off because it was kind of nice seeing them bond over their mutual atheism.

I loved the van storyline. George sometimes has parenting down cold. And of course the girlfriend's dad read Georgie's intentions faster than the speed of light.

• Love 17
16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Did Billy's voice sound weird to anyone else?

12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yes, but I couldn't quite pinpoint why. Almost like he was being dubbed or something.

Billy's voice is changing.  The kids in the show are all growing up.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Help me out here. Is Georgie still in high school? Did Sheldon leapfrog him? Or did he also graduate?

Georgie is still in high school.  I think he's about 16.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I thought he looked older, like puberty was starting to hit.

Have never cared for Paige. The storylines with her are antagonistic and not funny. I liked her parents better.

Georgie: Kids always think they’re the first ones to ever have an idea when the truth is been-there/done-that. Twice.

• Love 5

Personally I think the parents are deluding themselves. Quite frankly if Georgie wants to fool around with his girlfriend in a car, it's not going to matter what kind of car it is. And I speak from personal experience.

Edited by anna0852
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

Georgie screaming 'it's in my hair!' over and over again cracked me up, heh. 

I'm sad Paige is still rebelling but it was nice to see the character again. There's something about her that reminds me a bit of a young Sarah Michelle Gellar. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I really enjoyed this episode.  Missy and the slap bracelet was fabulous.  

The van storyline cracked me up, too.

Yes! It's almost like his voice is getting deeper, but he was trying to mask it by speaking in a higher pitch. It was really weird.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Still it's shame Paige started that competition just to piss him off because it was kind of nice seeing them bond over their mutual atheism.

I really like their dynamic; sometimes they get along and other times they fight, just like "normal" kids. I think it's good for Sheldon to be around other gifted kids his age. It would be great if Paige ends up going to the same college as Sheldon (not a spoiler, just wishful thinking).

Speaking of Paige, in the previouslies she asked Sheldon if he can differentiate under the integral sign and he said no. The first and only time I read about differentiating under the integral sign was in Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman. Apparently it's a technique Feynman had learned from an old textbook but isn't taught in calculus classes anymore. Since Sheldon idolizes Feynman and has a poster of him in his bedroom, I'm sure he's read everything Feynman had written and would have tracked down that old textbook to teach himself the technique.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Another good episode. Very little Meemaw, but I laughed at her chuckling glee at joining in on the life lesson for Georgie.

And given the work Georgie had done on his mobile love shack (baby, love shack), I bet he could flip it for a profit.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

I think Mary would’ve decked Paige out herself if she not only gave her baby a black eye, but sent him to the ground hard enough to bounce his head!

Decades ago it wasn’t known that just 2 insults to the brain (such as a force hard enough to cause a black eye and then his head bouncing off the pavement) were enough to cause a permanent TBI. I don’t think it was known then either that a black eye warrants concern about a retinal tear and possible blindness. But comedy and cartoons have traditionally made light of injuries (e.g, The 3 Stooges and Road Runner) which has always disturbed me. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

Oh my favorite show I have missed you!!!

My favorite part was the Missy and Sheldon chat before bed. Sure it ended with her praying for him to go to monkey hell but I'm loving them sharing their thoughts with each other even if they don't have much in common.

Spoiler

It ties back beautifully to the episode where Sheldon goes back to help her give birth which is one of my favorite episodes of TBBT even though we never see Missy appear in it. You do not do that if you're not close to your sibling and I take great delight in knowing the twins have a good relationship in adulthood.

Always enjoy George parenting episodes and it was nice to see him and Mary be comedic with no conflict.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 13

Georgie, your full proof plan has some real flaws, like how his dates dad saw his plan coming about a mile away. George really handled that whole mess in the making in just the right way for Georgie. 

It was fun seeing Paige again, its too bad that she started getting competitive with Sheldon and Sheldon of course took it too far. Paige and Sheldon bonding at bible camp sounds fun enough, but it sure led to the best bible camp ever for Missy. Watching Sheldon getting smacked, donut holes, AND slap bracelets! 

Another good episode. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Didn't Georgie say his van was titled in Mexico? He may have trouble unloading it in the US. I wonder how (or if) he got it registered. The lava lamp by the bed was a nice touch. Too much for his date's dad, though. 😂 Yes, teens will have sex no matter what, but you needn't make it easy for them. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Because he's a minor and not legally bound to any contract he signs.

That actually happened once on People`s court. The seller had to take the car back and return the money because  the buyer was under 18.

• Useful 5
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I loved the van storyline. George sometimes has parenting down cold. And of course the girlfriend's dad read Georgie's intentions faster than the speed of light.

Georgie is lucky the girl's father didn't inflict bodily harm on him.  He sure was angry and I don't blame him.

Edited by DoYouLikeMutton
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Georgie is lucky the girls father didn't inflict bodily harm on him.  He sure was angry and I don't blame him.

No way. 

If Jana is Georgie's age she's about 17. Very much the age at which her sex life is her business. Her dad may not like it, but we're not talking about a couple of 13 year olds messing around. As long as everybody is safe and no one was pressured or forced into doing anything they don't want to do, then this is really no longer parental business.

• Love 1
Just now, anna0852 said:

If Jana is Georgie's age she's about 17. Very much the age at which her sex life is her business. Her dad may not like it, but we're not talking about a couple of 13 year olds messing around. As long as everybody is safe and no one was pressured or forced into doing anything they don't want to do, then this is really no longer parental business.

This may be true for some families.  It's not true for many - least of all in a small town where many people are uber religious and even less so in Texas in 1990.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
32 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

No way. 

Then I guess she should move out and support herself.  Same with Georgie. They're minors being supported by their parents. So they can follow the (very reasonable) rule of no sex.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Then I guess she should move out and support herself.  Same with Georgie. They're minors being supported by their parents. So they can follow the (very reasonable) rule of no sex.

Absolutely!  They're minors and living under their parents roofs.  If a guy showed up for my daughter in a bedroom on wheels, I'd be livid.

• Love 9

Look fair enough. Different opinions I guess. But I don't think it rises to the level of threatening bodily harm. And quite frankly seeing that advocated here makes me a bit uncomfortable.

At this point we should probably all change the subject.

Poor Pastor Jeff. He was probably really looking forward to stamp camp!

Edited by anna0852
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I loved Georgie's van (after he got rid of the rat, of course!).  My family had a very similar van back in the early-mid 1980s with a fold-out bed, mini-fridge AND a little sink!  Plus, an 8-track tape player.  We used it for travelling to college football games.  I really miss driving around town in that thing as a young college student! haha

• Love 1
2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Totally disagree. IMHO a 17 year old is still a child. A teenage pregnancy is a life changing event...and usually not for the better. 

• Love 8

Best use of Coach so far!  I loved his scrogglement when Georgie emerges from his office bathroom, post-ablutions, then after hearing about Georgie's love-van and admitting he had a similar vehicle at Georgie's age he had the best line:  "You know I married young, right?"

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Best use of Coach so far!  I loved his scrogglement when Georgie emerges from his office bathroom, post-ablutions, then after hearing about Georgie's love-van and admitting he had a similar vehicle at Georgie's age he had the best line:  "You know I married young, right?"

And then he was so exasperated when Georgie didn’t get what he was saying that he was just like “GTFO.” Ha!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

No way. 

I think there is a lot of ground between bodily harm and no longer parental business. 

2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

But I don't think it rises to the level of threatening bodily harm. And quite frankly seeing that advocated here makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I completely agree. I was also uncomfortable with the suggestion Mary would deck Paige. 

Just now, PWHCHCH said:

Georgie was looking jacked. Would a 17 year old in 1990 really have looked like that? 

One who idolizes Patrick Swayze and has weights in his garage probably would. 

6 minutes ago, Dani said:
3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I think there is a lot of ground between bodily harm and no longer parental business. 

Although no parents in 1990 could have known what was proven later (that the part of the brain that influences decision making isn't fully developed until the age of 25 or 26) both Georgie's and his girlfriend's parents had already correctly come to that conclusion from observation and experience.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, PWHCHCH said:

Georgie was looking jacked. Would a 17 year old in 1990 really have looked like that? 

23 minutes ago, Dani said:

One who idolizes Patrick Swayze and has weights in his garage probably would. 

Plus, Georgie plays football. The athlete kids did look like that, yes. I was on the swim team. The boys in their speedos was not an unwelcome sight for teenage me.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Silly question ... how does the mini-fridge in the van stay powered? Is the van like an RV where you plug it in to get power?

It’ll run off the van while the engine is running but while it’s parked, you’d have to plug it into an extension cord. Like an RV, yes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PWHCHCH said:

Just curious as to why you would think that they wouldn't have.  If anything "kids today" are in worse shape physically now than they've ever been (or else popular culture is lying to me).   

• Love 2
1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

It’ll run off the van while the engine is running but while it’s parked, you’d have to plug it into an extension cord. Like an RV, yes.

Georgie would likely get a bag of ice at the minimart to toss into the fridge for his date.
He does deserve credit for fluffing up his nest, but it still wound up looking to me like a van used to kidnap children. 😵

• Love 4