Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Slipping Through My Fingers

• Start Topic

Airs November 24, 2020

During a weekend trip to Wilmington, Chase shocks Whitney by asking her to move in with him, but is she flattered or annoyed? When Covid-19 hits too close to home after some scary news from Buddy, Whitney fears for the safety of her parents.

It wasn’t until this episode that I realized her parents...portrayed as cute and old-fashioned and clueless...are just as paid off for their participation as Chase, The Barnacles, et al.

“Reality TV” took over the soap opera genre, so it shouldn’t have come as a surprise, really.

• Love 9

She is engaged, but shocked that the suggestion of co-habitation? A grown woman who brags about having sex like that is not a thing that most grown people have experienced?

This show, I just, can't even more, even out of snark. I feel like I am given an addict another hit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, John M said:

She is engaged, but shocked that the suggestion of co-habitation? A grown woman who brags about having sex like that is not a thing that most grown people have experienced?

This show, I just, can't even more, even out of snark. I feel like I am given an addict another hit.

Not shocked at the idea of cohabitation - that was (according to her) always the plan. She's shocked that Chase wants to stay in Wilmington rather than move into her rental in Charlotte.

• Love 3

Here’s what I don’t get. Let’s say the baby hadn’t happened. (Sorry Aurora you are adorable but this is a hypothetical). We know that they would still have set up a storyline with a breakup. For a long time I thought the storyline would be Chase being jealous about Buddy and Whitney calling it off with all kinds of applause for walking away from a controlling guy. But a lot of you said it would be disagreement on where to live and I think you guys were right since that seems to be the track they are taking before they unveil his “cheating”. We know Whitney would want the “breakup” to look like she was the one making the wise but painful decision to end the relationship so she could look good and get all of the accolades and sympathy simultaneously. Did she seriously think people would agree with her that Chase should ditch his two jobs to join her in Charlotte where she has no job? Did she think people would agree that she was right about that? I know we aren’t going to see the fruition of this storyline because of the baby thing but I’m trying to imagine her sitting around with the story developers saying ‘well we need to make him look like the bad guy so let’s set it up so he won’t leave his jobs to sit unemployed in my townhouse. He will definitely look like a selfish asshole then.’ If she really believed that storyline would make her look good, then she’s even more delusional than I thought. 

• Love 21
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Here’s what I don’t get. Let’s say the baby hadn’t happened. (Sorry Aurora you are adorable but this is a hypothetical). We know that they would still have set up a storyline with a breakup. For a long time I thought the storyline would be Chase being jealous about Buddy and Whitney calling it off with all kinds of applause for walking away from a controlling guy. But a lot of you said it would be disagreement on where to live and I think you guys were right since that seems to be the track they are taking before they unveil his “cheating”. We know Whitney would want the “breakup” to look like she was the one making the wise but painful decision to end the relationship so she could look good and get all of the accolades and sympathy simultaneously. Did she seriously think people would agree with her that Chase should ditch his two jobs to join her in Charlotte where she has no job? Did she think people would agree that she was right about that? I know we aren’t going to see the fruition of this storyline because of the baby thing but I’m trying to imagine her sitting around with the story developers saying ‘well we need to make him look like the bad guy so let’s set it up so he won’t leave his jobs to sit unemployed in my townhouse. He will definitely look like a selfish asshole then.’ If she really believed that storyline would make her look good, then she’s even more delusional than I thought. 

TLC is terrible at their writing for this show. Last season when they went to Paris they chose to portray them as all sharing a hotel room too, when the obvious thing people would do in real life is have the "couple" have their own space. This isn't college kids at a tournament cramming everyone in a room to save money, it's a romantic proposal in Paris. Even if TLC didn't want to shell out the actual money for more rooms, they easily could have just pretended there were more in the talking segments and shown them going in one together. It's not like they film 24/7 so we'd discover where everyone actually slept. I don't know why TLC doesn't put an ounce of logic in their plots. It's so logic defying that it's distracting, and you're right that viewers are going to be on Chase's side for this. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Did she seriously think people would agree with her that Chase should ditch his two jobs to join her in Charlotte where she has no job? Did she think people would agree that she was right about that? 

If you're taking outside fan posts and comments into consideration then yes. Yes, she did. 

I definitely think that was the OG storyline, hence the trouble production's gone to in creating the whole "welcome home" bullshit. He was going to "change his mind" at the last minute and refuse to move to Charlotte. She'd painfully cancel all her wedding planning (they'd be sure to do this all the way up til a week or two of the wedding), and then there would've been a big "goodbye" episode in which Whit tearfully admitted that while she loved him she just couldn't give up on her family and "cuh-reer". The end. 

What's interesting to me about all of this is that they probably had plenty of footage to re-edit this material and create a new storyline (like planting the seeds of Chase's "cheating") but they didn't. They're going right along with what was probably the original plan. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, alabetser said:

TLC is terrible at their writing for this show. Last season when they went to Paris they chose to portray them as all sharing a hotel room too, when the obvious thing people would do in real life is have the "couple" have their own space. This isn't college kids at a tournament cramming everyone in a room to save money, it's a romantic proposal in Paris. Even if TLC didn't want to shell out the actual money for more rooms, they easily could have just pretended there were more in the talking segments and shown them going in one together. It's not like they film 24/7 so we'd discover where everyone actually slept. I don't know why TLC doesn't put an ounce of logic in their plots. It's so logic defying that it's distracting, and you're right that viewers are going to be on Chase's side for this. 

They do this in their other shows, too. They most recently did it on 90 Day Fiance when they had Coltee, Debbie, and Jess all staying in the same room. Same old TLC trope. They need new writers. I know where they could find 2 or 3 hundred with high levels of snark...

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 11/22/2020 at 1:06 AM, sempervivum said:

Oh, my- that blue dress when she's standing on the porch at Chase's house. Why would she pick something that's so tight you can see how her stomach hangs down almost to her knees?

Those buttons are going to pop off & hurt someone! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Lookin at that beautiful Oceanside restaurant...... 

greensboro < Wilmington 

** cuz you know that after chase uprooted to the Charlotte rental , that then Twit would demand another move closer to her aging parents 

Edited by DNR
More words
  • Love 4

I'm sitting here shaking my head at what an asshole Whitney is being. Her (pretend) fiance is a successful business owner on top of his day job and she sits there bitching about how she's in "competition" with his club because his business is keeping Chase from doing what she wants when she wants it. I'm so glad for Chase that this was all fake and I hope he made a boat load of money after having to deal with her bullshit.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

And the commercial for next week... Chase is coming out the quarantine with a baby, but not with Whitney! LOL!

More fun than watching her falling off the cliff

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Whaaa her ring would have had to be huge to just “ fall in the water” And now she’s going to play the victim ( even though she says she hates herself).   I’m sorry but Chase is coming off much better than she is. I’m still not sure what her “ business” in Charlotte is. It looks like they do videos together. She couldn’t do that virtually or go to Charlotte every few weeks and make a bunch of videos?  She doesn’t have a studio anymore or in person classes & she doesn’t even like Ryan. (if this was real) why would you give up a hottie who loves you & has a lot of patience with you just to get your own way.  This is not a feminist thing which I’m sure she’ll try to make it.  He has a business that he just bought and she wants to make it seem like she’s the only one that matter.  

• Love 8

There's this cool online jewelry store (advertised on my computer!) called JTV (JewelryToLove) and they have got the BEST fake shit! Good looking stuff!  SO, I'm guessing the "engagement ring" could be replaced (were this a REAL engagement) for about $30.00.  Seriously.

The rest of this horseshit show???  Lort. I just keep HOPING Chase pulls the rug out SOON.  I'm having a hard time even having to hear her dumb voice on as background!  ERP.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, DNR said:

Twits parents go along with her delusion saying “ you’ve got your business”  

WHAT BUSINESS!!! The one she could do A n y w h e r e 

Gee I thought her only "business" was filming this show a few months per year at most?

• Love 7

Ok, so assuming this is fake, and it’s “Chase Severino” played by Chase Severino—this storyline makes “Chase Severino” look like the worst, most immature person ever (aside from perhaps the rest of the cast, but that still leaves approximately 99.9999999% of the population).  

I either forgot or never realized in the first place that Chase agreed to move to Charlotte with Whitney and then changed his mind...in the form of a card that was left under a doormat that she drove 185 miles to get to!!  Holy.  Shit.  Are the writers trying to make “Chase Severino” look like a villain?  Why else wouldn’t they have him sit down with Whitney and have a conversation or a series of conversations about why that’s no longer a viable option?  Or at least, like...an email?  I thought Whitney was supposed to be the villain here...?  

The reason doesn’t matter.  This is bad storytelling.  If a person commits to something to someone they claim to love—which is the story we’re being given, whether it’s fact or fiction—they don’t get to unilaterally change their minds without a ton of communication or being the bad guy.  It’s one or the other.  

If the house in Wilmington is a set, whoo-boy, who decorated it?  That’s worse than a frat house with the jersey hung on a hanger on a nail on the wall as a decorative piece instead of behind glass and the baseball caps lined up in rows on top of a dresser instead of hung up on some kind of stand.  That’s just ghetto.  And the giant black and white glossy of Chase and Whitney framed perfectly.  One of these things is not like the other...

Whitney thought Chase would spend all his time with her if it wasn’t for the club/bar?  I thought he was also working construction (full-time) in Wilmington, as the story goes.  How was that going to resolve itself? 

They have problems.  But the bigger problem is that he didn’t name a drink after her, and their astrological signs don’t match up!  The idea that it was 2019 and they believed there was anything to be learned about a person by virtue of the date of their birth is sufficient reason for them to break up...or stay together.  I’m so taken aback that I don’t know which one.  

Amplify?  Is that the name of the “clerb”?  If that’s a real place, it don’t exactly look jumping jumping.  They had to know the show wasn’t going to spring for music that wasn’t in the public domain, which at least MTV does for Floribama Shore.  Never show a club with no music or random “Baum Baum Baum Baum Baum” in the background.  It makes it look lame, no exceptions.  That is the first rule of Fight Club.

I have no reason not to believe the place was so empty because of COVID, but that’s another reason anyone interested in promoting the place should have pulled it from filming wide shots.  It made it look like a place to avoid.  It reminded me of that episode of Forensic Files where one couple met another couple at the Ocean City, MD club Seacrets and the one couple murdered the other couple and put their severed heads in a hot tub—not the fault of the club by any stretch of the imagination, but neither Amplify nor Seacrets are on my list of places to hit up on my next tour of the mid-Atlantic seaboard.  It’s all about image, fair or unfair.  

The real Chase Severino and his partners would have been better served to arrange with production to flash a few pics of a bunch of people dancing in there in January like they did, show a tight shot of Whitney trying “her” drink that is not really hers, and spend the rest of the episode trying to fish a ring out of Whitney’s ginormous cleavage or whatever the hell they did in the back half of the episode; I was too bored to really watch.  

I was just not impressed with the setting of this episode.  It did a disservice to Wilmington.  That’s all I got.  

• Love 4
On 11/22/2020 at 7:34 PM, kicotan said:

It wasn’t until this episode that I realized her parents...portrayed as cute and old-fashioned and clueless...are just as paid off for their participation as Chase, The Barnacles, et al.

Was it when Glen said she couldn't leave her "thriving business" to move to Wilmington?  😄😄😄   No wonder he was "in Pittsburgh" - he probably couldn't have delivered that line in person with a straight face!

On 11/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, alabetser said:

I'll bet a hundred bucks that Whit ended up back in bed with Babs 😄 

2 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I'm sitting here shaking my head at what an asshole Whitney is being. Her (pretend) fiance is a successful business owner on top of his day job and she sits there bitching about how she's in "competition" with his club because his business is keeping Chase from doing what she wants when she wants it. I'm so glad for Chase that this was all fake and I hope he made a boat load of money after having to deal with her bullshit.

She actually said "I don't know if this would be enough to keep me here, if it were me" 😳  Self-reflection is not big with this one, that's for sure 😄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Ok, so assuming this is fake, and it’s “Chase Severino” played by Chase Severino—this storyline makes “Chase Severino” look like the worst, most immature person ever (aside from perhaps the rest of the cast, but that still leaves approximately 99.9999999% of the population).  

I either forgot or never realized in the first place that Chase agreed to move to Charlotte with Whitney and then changed his mind...in the form of a card that was left under a doormat that she drove 185 miles to get to!!  Holy.  Shit.  Are the writers trying to make “Chase Severino” look like a villain?  Why else wouldn’t they have him sit down with Whitney and have a conversation or a series of conversations about why that’s no longer a viable option?  Or at least, like...an email?  I thought Whitney was supposed to be the villain here...?  

The reason doesn’t matter.  This is bad storytelling.  If a person commits to something to someone they claim to love—which is the story we’re being given, whether it’s fact or fiction—they don’t get to unilaterally change their minds without a ton of communication or being the bad guy.  It’s one or the other.  

If the house in Wilmington is a set, whoo-boy, who decorated it?  That’s worse than a frat house with the jersey hung on a hanger on a nail on the wall as a decorative piece instead of behind glass and the baseball caps lined up in rows on top of a dresser instead of hung up on some kind of stand.  That’s just ghetto.  And the giant black and white glossy of Chase and Whitney framed perfectly.  One of these things is not like the other...

Whitney thought Chase would spend all his time with her if it wasn’t for the club/bar?  I thought he was also working construction (full-time) in Wilmington, as the story goes.  How was that going to resolve itself? 

They have problems.  But the bigger problem is that he didn’t name a drink after her, and their astrological signs don’t match up!  The idea that it was 2019 and they believed there was anything to be learned about a person by virtue of the date of their birth is sufficient reason for them to break up...or stay together.  I’m so taken aback that I don’t know which one.  

Amplify?  Is that the name of the “clerb”?  If that’s a real place, it don’t exactly look jumping jumping.  They had to know the show wasn’t going to spring for music that wasn’t in the public domain, which at least MTV does for Floribama Shore.  Never show a club with no music or random “Baum Baum Baum Baum Baum” in the background.  It makes it look lame, no exceptions.  That is the first rule of Fight Club.

The real Chase Severino and his partners would have been better served to arrange with production to flash a few pics of a bunch of people dancing in there in January like they did, show a tight shot of Whitney trying “her” drink that is not really hers, and spend the rest of the episode trying to fish a ring out of Whitney’s ginormous cleavage or whatever the hell they did in the back half of the episode; I was too bored to really watch.  

You don't remember that convo because, AFAIK, it was never had. We jumped straight from the proposal to the Tell Nothing/ Shower. 

IMO that's an Air BnB and they threw some of Chase's things in there to "decorate" it to make it look like he lived there. 

We were in Wilmington at the end of March, about the time they filmed this, and a lot of the restaurants and things were as empty as Chase's. We have a house on a nearby island and we were down there locking it up because we put a pause on renting it out as an Air BnB last summer. College kids were on spring break and the city was just starting to crack down on COVID restrictions. It's a city, and a college town, but the big crowds don't pick up until summer. Tourism plays a big role. Amplify is a real place. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

If that was their intention, it's a total fail. I don't think he's being immature at all. He has a full time job (at the executive level) with the construction firm and now is part owner of a successful night club in Wilmington. He has very real, concrete reasons that would make moving several hours away ill advised. That Whitney feels that he's reneging on his agreement to move to where she's living because he's got serious reasons for staying in Wilmington sounds like a "her" problem and not a "him" problem.

I can understand Whitney not wanting to live so far away from her parents. I'm in a position where I'm helping my parents through my mother's health crisis but right now it feels like she's using it as an excuse not to consider moving in with Chase. I just keep coming away with the impression that the major roadblock is that Whitney just doesn't want to consider that maybe he's got a lot more going for him than she does. That this little exercise program that she's been playing with (and failing at) doesn't come close to compairing to everything that Chase has in Wilmington. 

8 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

To be fair, if it was on a weeknight that might explain why the club wasn't packed. And as you pointed out, we're also talking about the early days of COVID when a lot of people were canceling travel plans and avoiding big crowds. I personally think that it's interesting to see things from a business perspective about the changes that they were starting to see as people began to take things seriously. Chase is aware that the crowd isn't what it normally is  and rather than making him look unrealistic about his business makes him appear very level headed and serious.

And sourpuss Whitney walking about, looking down her nose at things and whining that the club was distracting Chase from her... she just looks like an idiot. If Chase was a doctor, I could totally see her complaining that being at the hospital, taking care of critically ill patients was interfering in their relationship. Idiot. 

Rather amazing at how little upset Chase had when idiot Whitney lost her "engagement" ring. When I've lost expensive jewelry that I paid for myself, I totally freaked out. This just is further confirmation that 1) the whole thing is fake, 2) that he didn't buy that ring and 3) the ring was as fake as the relationship.

Speaking of fake... watching Whitney playing with those ratty extensions while she was driving really annoyed me. They just looked terrible. I get that the TLC money may not be what it used to be, but they looked like she was using the cats' clippings and not good quality hair. Then again, given how hygienically challenged Whitney is under the best of circumstances, the face that she doesn't care for her hair extensions properly shouldn't be that much of a surprise

• Love 17

I almost feel bad for Whitney. We know she's not crying over her dime store ring but crying over Chase and HIS new family. How embarrassing it must be able  to not have a successful real life relationship and now even a TLC crafted relationship is failing her.

• Love 11

I will say that amongst all of this fake, I think we saw some of the most “real” we’ve seen in a while. I think this is exactly how Whitney would act if it was a real relationship. She comes up with plan and all those around her must follow the plan. All things are to be about her. I have no doubt that she would be upset to discover someone she was dating had a successful career or other friends. She really has no interest in anything not related to her. 

She’s just such a whiny, selfish bitch. Of course it’s all fake but I think the choice of storyline is because Whitney does think that if it was real Chase should be willing to just go where she tells him. Babs keeps skirting around this issue, although I’m sure she’s been told she can’t come out and say Whitney is self-absorbed. She comes close though.  I admit I didn’t watch the entire episode but was there any point Chase says anything like ‘well how do you expect us to pay the bills if I give up my job’? I’d love to see her have to face some actually reality. 

I also think another contributing factor to the club being “not hopping” is that this was a specific event to film for the show. So that would limit how many people wanted to come in the first place. It wasn’t just a regular night. 

• Love 8

So two things, Chase's dog has no clue who she is and this is definitely after she found out about the baby. She was so hostile and passive aggressive towards him it was kind of scary. He looked nervous the whole episode and so did Babs just trying to stick to their lines. This might have been my favorite episode ever next to her chasing Avi around the parking lot.

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

To be fair, if it was on a weeknight that might explain why the club wasn't packed. And as you pointed out, we're also talking about the early days of COVID when a lot of people were canceling travel plans and avoiding big crowds. I personally think that it's interesting to see things from a business perspective about the changes that they were starting to see as people began to take things seriously. Chase is aware that the crowd isn't what it normally is  and rather than making him look unrealistic about his business makes him appear very level headed and serious.

I don't think his club was actually "open" when they were there. Production companies prefer having control over the environment, both for NDA reasons and filming purposes. IMO they opened it early on a weekday and put out a call for "extras" to come in and film. They frequently do this. Get a few dozen people in there who will play along and make it look alive without having to worry about it being overly crowded, too loud, etc. They've done this with other scenes in other shows*. 

And I agree. I don't think this is making Chase look bad at all. He wants to stay in the town where he's managing a club and has a long-standing accounting job. Even if this were real I don't see why it would be expected for him to give those things up when there's no reason for either of them to even be in Charlotte.

* Not a spoiler, I have no idea if that's what they did here, just offering my opinion. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Robbie M said:

So two things, Chase's dog has no clue who she is and this is definitely after she found out about the baby. She was so hostile and passive aggressive towards him it was kind of scary. He looked nervous the whole episode and so did Babs just trying to stick to their lines. This might have been my favorite episode ever next to her chasing Avi around the parking lot.

I agree! There was some crazy undercurrent going on here. It makes sense because by that time his baby mama would've been nearly halfway through her pregnancy.

• Love 3

Man - Whitney really thinks she’s the shit doesn’t she? I’m only 10 minutes in and I already want to slap her fat face. What a f’ing ass. I mean the NERVE of her “fiancé” asking her to move in with him! I just can’t with her. She’s the worst.

• Love 11

Didn't Chase look proud and excited, introducing Whitney to all his co-workers/employees at the clerb? His celebrity fiance! I'm so glad they got a chance to dance together - it was so nice of whoever that was to push them out on the floor to dance, promising to cover for Chase at the bar! Oh, wait . . .

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

This show is so fake and then had a dose of reality with the baby so now they can't figure out how to make it make any sense anymore (not that it ever made much sense, LOL).  Whitney was supposedly mad at Chase about inviting her to live with him in Wilmington but didn't want to talk about it in front of Babs, but then when she was alone with him she didn't mention it at all!  She just acted pissed off and distant.  And then we get him in a talking head acting clueless about why she's acting that way.  So unbelievable.

If this was filmed after she found out about the baby it makes sense that she was acting so pissed.  He couldn't have acted any more checked out and going through the motions with her.  I don't know if him inviting her to move out there was put in the script before or after she found out about the baby.  It could have been that after finding out about the baby, they changed the plot from him "moving" to Charlotte to "live" with her (which if the baby didn't happen he could have continued to play-act) to him refusing to "move" to Charlotte to make it make sense that he and Whitney had a conflict.  

Think about it - if the baby hadn't happened he could have continued to play-act her "fiance" and even "husband" by filming him "living" with her in Charlotte.  He'd only have to put in so many days a year to make it look believable.  But if this episode was filmed after Whit found out about the baby, the show decided to make it look like he was now refusing to move to Charlotte and that this was the reason they had a falling out - because he was a meanie for going back on his "promise" to her.  But then when the baby became known to the world, that threw a wrench in even THOSE plans, and we aren't even at that point yet.  I think the show might have thought that they could get out of this without the baby leaking out to the world because that was something Whitney would have pushed for to avoid the public humiliation.  Who knows?  But it's fun to speculate anyway.

• Love 2
On 11/21/2020 at 10:06 PM, sempervivum said:

Oh, my- that blue dress when she's standing on the porch at Chase's house. Why would she pick something that's so tight you can see how her stomach hangs down almost to her knees?

My first thought?  She's actually dressed instead of leggings, a sports bra, and no shoes.  Second thought?  Wow, that dress is at least two sizes too small for her. 

• Love 5

Just finished watching this nonsense.  First the good, Wilmington looks like a really nice place to live, I love being near the beach. I bet the seafood is excellent.

I agree with everyone that thinks Twit knew about Chase's girlfriend by this time.  She's barely cordial to him  and in the scene at the clurb 🙄 with Babs she seemed like she was really pissed off.  I guess TLC thinks we're all stupid because I've never seen her be less attracted to someone than Chase.  Any other time there was a "romance" she acted very different, with Chase it's like she can barely tolerate him and can't wait to leave.

The storyline is beyond ridiculous. Whitney's "thriving" business, as her father said is such a joke.  It demands so much of her time that she can't move in with her dream boy who has two jobs and could easily support her.  If this relationship was real she'd have moved in a heartbeat.  The ring scene was so stupid.  Chase could barely pretend to care.  Amazing how once it disappeared on the show it also disappeared in her talking head interviews.

The beginning of the  caronar as Twit calls it is the only real thing on this shitshow and who the hell wants to relive that? 

• Love 9